Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: help to germinte papaya seed and red pepper seeds

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 7, Views: 72
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Cocobijou
Boca Raton, FL
(Zone 10b)

June 30, 2011
11:00 PM

Post #8665515

YEEEEESH...folded them in damp paper towels and sealed them u[ in a ziplock baggie...how long do I WAIT/!!!!

ANY HELP APPRECIATED...jULIE :)
Smokey_SC
Piedmont, SC
(Zone 7b)

July 3, 2011
10:36 AM

Post #8669754

Have you taking the seeds out yet?
Cocobijou
Boca Raton, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 4, 2011
8:37 AM

Post #8671513

No - but I opened it today and it looks like mold is setting in...
Lilyofthenight
Victoria, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 4, 2011
12:10 PM

Post #8671837

Moldy seeds won't perform properly if at all. May as well toss them. Sorry
prosdokaobasile
Midland, TX
(Zone 7b)

December 28, 2011
9:09 PM

Post #8946165

Just put the papaya seeds in some dirt and keep them damp, but not wet and soggy. Also, the fresher the seeds, the better the germination rate. The papaya I bought at the grocery store got pretty ripe before I opened it up for the seeds, and some of them were already germinating while still in the fruit! Hope this helps.
microbiology1
Foxboro, MA

April 2, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9067518

Besides heat, the biggest thing you need for germinating pepper seeds is patience. Germination can easily take 3-6 weeks depending on the species. I've tried the damp paper towel method... It didn't work for me. Just a seed starting mat, water, soil, and time works best for me.
hikerpat
Knoxville, TN

April 3, 2012
4:55 AM

Post #9067801

Although I know very little about papaya, this I do know: the trees must be in pairs to pollinate. If you got seeds to germinate, how would you know which trees (male or female) you had together? And, once they are adult trees and producing, they are a lot of work. The fruit is extremely fragile; they must be wrapped, while on the tree, to protect them from worms and bugs. This is probably why the fruit is so expensive to buy.

As for the pepper seeds, that's easy. I bought a grow kit - one with the compressed peat pots in a molded bottom and clear, plastic topper. Just follow those directions. Mine took about 2 weeks before germinating. I now have them separated in larger pots. I used seed starting mix - probably not the best medium but what I have. By day, they go in a window sill. At night, I put them on styrofoam trays (keeps water and soil contained) in a warmer spot.

You do know that you can freeze the peppers, without any blanching? Just wash, remove seeds, and slice or dice and put in freezer bags. Marvelous for soups and stews in the winter, and stir-fry any time.
birke
Broward County, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 4, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #9069678

Gotta chime in here a bit since I'm growing and harvesting papaya right now. I got the seeds from a store bought fruit and tried my luck. Out of 10 seedlings only one survived and grew to maturity, which is not rare with papaya.
While it's true that you need a female and a male tree to bear fruit, there's also a hermaphroditic tree, which is self fertile. That is mostly the hawaiian solo papaya, not the mexican large fruited one. You can see when the tree flowers what sex they have because the flowers have different shapes.
You can protect the fruit with a net, so the can't be attacked by insects, but me, having had not the time to do this and here I am eating my own papaya.
The climate here in South FL is great for growing papaya.
And Julie, I use seeds from the store bought papaya and put them in seed starter mix soil or other soil and they will sprout with a germination rate of 90%. If the seeds are older you'll have to wait longer and have way less germination rate.
Good luck with your seeds and don't give up if the first try doesn't work out, try again, you'll succeed!

Thumbnail by birke   Thumbnail by birke
Click an image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America