Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Weather: July - Hot, dry, but to the beach we go-

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 205, Views: 1,141
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 1, 2011
5:55 AM

Post #8665786

New month again. Seems like not long ago I was starting June.
June ended hot here. 97º with heat index over 100.
Nicer today. 72º @ 5:30AM.
Maybe rain or storms tonight. We can use rain.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2011
7:51 AM

Post #8665964

At 2:30 am it was 80...

Right now it 87...

Heat Index is warning until July 2...

Ground is so drought...

PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2011
9:41 AM

Post #8666114

It's only supposed to be 99 today and 67 tonight! What a break from the desperate triple digits. Still no rain...one year now. Still lots of wildfires and crazy people buying fireworks... but I'm not working today so enjoying myself inside!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2011
10:17 AM

Post #8666179

Thanks, Bernie! Are you still doing the market?

I can't imagine trying to garden there, Prissy. The hot weather wouldn't bother me too much but no rain? We have crazy folks all over. We just had a new law passed that says they can now shoot the fireworks into the air from their home. Great! Now, we have to be even more vigilant so we don't have our neighborhood burnt down.

We had some rain a few days ago but not much. Maybe a tenth of an inch.

The Sweet William has taken over! There is a Rose of Sharon and Holly in there somewhere.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2011
10:25 AM

Post #8666197

90°/98° Mostly sunny. Hot and humid. Heat index near 110F. Winds SSW at 10 to 20 mph.

Prissy Jo, yayyy on that rain dance!! 5 miles isn't too far. Maybe their damp conditions will cause more clouds,

That is a lot of fuel to produce a cloud. It is a possibility for those who are desperate.

We think it could have been an old racoon after all. The guy down the street plants a long line of corn across the road and traps them every year. We think this might have been an old smart one he caught before. I think it wanted the egg and marshmallow, but was too smart to go in. Yes, we do have skunks, and possums too.

Thanks, I hope you dance a good one, LOL!

Beautiful rose! I don't have anything like that!

Adina, we have had nightly droppings that we figured were racoons. They last one's could have been coyote, of which we do have around here. Fox too. We wanted to catch and relocate them to the timber and Wapsi creek out by my Grandma's.

How beautiful!!

Pepper, I'd be glad too, but I always want to buy plants when I find a hole or nothing is blooming, LOL!

Bernie, thanks for getting us out of June!

Rusty, that's a hot night! I hope you get some rain.

Prissy Jo, I hope no one starts anything on fire with the fire works, sheesh!

Celia, who are the idiots making these laws???

Ah, but isn't it beautiful!!

We were in the 90's yesterday with a decent breeze. I sat in the shade most of the day and popped out to do a little deadheading and other tiny unstrenous jobs. Even the mosquitos left me alone.

Today we got groceries early. I'm going back out today too and just enjoy summer. It gives me time to note what is wrong with my beds and what should I move this fall.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2011
1:52 PM

Post #8666582

Thanks PrissyJo, I saw you said, "Hope the flooding here is easing off". Actual flooding isn't right around here right now, although, it could be in a few days when the surge in the Missouri River gets here in a big way soon.
How about the Hen and Chicks Chick in this basket?

This message was edited Jul 1, 2011 5:51 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8666962

Hot and humid again. Excessive heat warning ended tonight. But temps will still be in the 90s.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 1, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8667025

Hit 97º today.
Then we got a storm from the cold front. A little wind & lots of rain.
Cooler now.
Some pictures. This is back side of the storm.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 1, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8667033

Lilies are going great guns.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 1, 2011
6:42 PM

Post #8667043

Remember these tunnels.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 1, 2011
6:45 PM

Post #8667051

This is just 7 weeks later. This squash was seeded when the tunnels were put down on May 11.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 1, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8667055

We've been harvesting from them for 10 days now.
Here is one patch of onions.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 1, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8667059

A small planting near the house.
Right to left, radish, pole beans, various green beans, peas.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 1, 2011
6:54 PM

Post #8667070

Beets in the front, carrots to the rear.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 1, 2011
7:25 PM

Post #8667136

9:23 PM Last of the clouds with sunset.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 2, 2011
4:42 AM

Post #8667473

76°/87° Sunny to partly cloudy. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.

Will, I like the basket of Hens, LOL!

Pepper, it sure WAS hot yesterday!

Bernie, I saw yu were going to get rain. Nice passing storm!

The liles are gorgeous! How lush!

Wow, what great squash plants!

Onions, ROTFL!! I've never seen so many! And I thought Dad had a lot because he lets all his ''walking'' onions grow!

Your gardens are just beautiful!! Sunset too. Wow!

No rain for us. They can just keep pushing it back till we have 4 good days to get our driveway poured!!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2011
6:08 AM

Post #8667575

How about these "Walking Onions" that I cut yesterday? A friend says they don't get that big at the store. Thanks billyp, I'm hoping that one Hen will fill that basket eventually. I have a shortage of Hens and Chicks. That other plant in that photo is a Tri-colored Jasmine in a Kerr canning jar.
A bit cooler today, they only say a high of 91° F today. I know that overnight working at Fedex it felt considerably better with the wind coming in.
Will

This message was edited Jul 2, 2011 9:49 AM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 2, 2011
9:04 AM

Post #8667890

It now 90...

Today: Sunny and hot, with a high near 98. Heat index values as high as 102. West wind around 6 mph.

Tonight: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 73. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
(maybe!)
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8668600

Still hot and still humid. I felt no change in temps today. It probably was cooler but it was hard to tell til I got home from work and put on tank top and shorts. I'm fine now!! LOL

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 2, 2011
6:56 PM

Post #8668798

It was about 90° here today.
We spent most of it w/ Joycet and her Husband up in her Gardens.
Swapped some plants, helped w/ a bit of weeding, brought home a new Koi.

AMAZING shots Bernie!
The corn here is extremely stunted. Only about knee high at best.
In the old days 'Knee High by the 4th of July' was good.
W/ the new Hybrids and growing techniques it's usually shoulder high by now...

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2011
8:09 PM

Post #8668909

Ric, my corn isn't quite that high. Maybe mid-calf. I got a late start though. LOL

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2011
4:03 AM

Post #8669134

69°/85° Considerable clouds this morning. Some decrease in clouds later in the day. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph.

Will, very nice onion! Jasmine. Is it more of a houseplant?

Yeah, we are finally happy to have the wind. I actually had my flannel shirt thrown over my shoulders this morning till coffee was ready. It's going to be a wonderful day!

Rusty, I hope you cool off pretty soon.

Pepper, yesterday was wonderful for us. I'm glad your weather didn't come up here. We ust got over hot and humid.

Ric, I'll bet Joycet was very grateful. What color is your new Koi?

Celia, it will taste good anyway!!

In my opinion, the earlier the corn, the better it is. I like the 60 day best.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 3, 2011
7:39 AM

Post #8669432

We were 100 yesterday.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 3, 2011
7:59 AM

Post #8669480

Yesterday, hit up to 100 and right now is 84...

I pick it out of the moth coons and I look out for the wasp was nest in my good juniper that wasp flying around me and I just back off and wait for few minutes then don't bother wasp's nest in the juniper! I got all off but not all cause of wasp's nest...

I found this that I pick it off the moth coons that I look oh so tiny one bug!

Thumbnail by JuJu55

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 3, 2011
8:32 AM

Post #8669537

The new Koi is orange/red then roll the back w/ black.

Pushing 90° already!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2011
10:22 AM

Post #8669730

We're at 90º, also. Headed for 100º!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2011
4:40 PM

Post #8670331

Still hot and still humid. Storms overnight and rain off and on all day.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 3, 2011
6:46 PM

Post #8670554

Rain is about an hour out... FLASH BOOM is fireworks at this point...LOL!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2011
4:13 AM

Post #8671004

68°/86° Isolated thunderstorms during the morning hours, then skies turning partly cloudy during the afternoon. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Lou, too hot!!

Rusty, ditto!

Wow, you picked off a lot of coccoons! Dang wasps! They really defend their nest. I'm glad you knew it was there and didn't disturb the nest!

Geeze, everyone is hot. I feel pretty lucky to only be in the 80's.

We had a bit of off and on light rain last night. A dry rain. You can be in it, but don't really get wet, LOL!

I hope our rain dries up today so I can mow.

Happy 4th everyone!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 4, 2011
6:16 AM

Post #8671156

Beautiful day yesterday. I could tell by the millions of mosquitoes everywhere.
Picked strawberries, so am having a bowl for breakfast.
Mowed the lawn & did some weeding in a flower bed.
Worked a little in the shop.
Sunny & warm this morning.

Happy 4th to you!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2011
6:35 AM

Post #8671193

Bernie, we bought a small fogger for the mosquitos. It uses Black Flag. It's working for us! It doesn't kill everything, but took out a lot of mosquitos and biting flies.

You had a nice day yesterday! Me too :o)

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 4, 2011
7:52 AM

Post #8671393

well looks like temps are hot all over the great US, here we are usually in the 90's so we headed down to siesta key breach. Just to take a stroll alone and look for sea shells. The water was warm, almost too warm, but don't know for sure as I was dressed for swimming, just strolling.

We have been blessed with afternoon thunderstorms and lots of rain this past week. Before we had gone almost a month with no rain, everything dry and dying, just terrible. It is amazing how fast everything comes back to life after some rain.

Jan
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 4, 2011
8:34 AM

Post #8671507

We had rain for almost 10 minutes yesterday. The drops never did get very close together. 101 today. Fireworks have been cancelled for many cities organizations because the entire state is under a burn ban. Curiously, the fireworks stands are still busy in the unincorporated areas. That I don't understand. If it is illegal to use them over a broad expanse, how can it be ok to buy/sell them? Ignorance is wide spread.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 4, 2011
10:07 AM

Post #8671654

I saw that Phoenix is destined for 112º today. Yikes!!!

We are at 84º and it's overcast. It's trying to rain but the water is evaporating before hitting the ground. We made 102.4º yesterday. I think I may have lost the new Black-Eyed Susan.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 4, 2011
12:46 PM

Post #8671878

Oh no, Celia! I have a Black Eyed Susan which I "stole" from the field...I don't know how it happened to grow there, but I wanted it and got it!LOL
Very cold this morning, only 50F. Temps went up to 70F during the day and the sun was up.
Happy 4th of July everyone in US!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2011
9:32 PM

Post #8672857

Here you go Lou... :-)

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2011
4:10 AM

Post #8673076

63°/88° Sunny to partly cloudy. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph.

Jan, did you find some nice shells? That would be a nice way to spend time at the beach.

It is amazing how fast it comes back, but dismaying that it can start dying so fast.

Lou, we had a light rain like that on the 3rd. You never really get wet.

You would think a burn ban extended to everyone. No one is going to die if they can't do fireworks. Just have a picnic and play with your kids or Grandkids.

Celia, you're pretty hot! (yes, I'm leaving it like that, LOL!)

That's pretty bad if you lost a BLack Eyes Susan.

Such a beautiful yellow!

Adina, ROTFL&L!! We call that rescuing!!

Oooooh, green tomatoes. MY mouth is watering!

Early, ROTFL!! They got that right!

Stay cool everyone! (Edited to add the weather :o)

This message was edited Jul 5, 2011 5:12 AM
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2011
6:12 AM

Post #8673269

Love the cartoon. It was very quiet around us last night. Maybe some people got the idea. Hope everyone had a pleasant day. We had friends of over 43 years for the day and were very laid back.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 5, 2011
10:20 AM

Post #8673755

Any fireworks that fly or explode are illegal in MN. So every town has the big displays. We went to St.James. Very nice display. There is a lake by the city park. They shot them off from a barge in the middle of the lake. No worry for anybody getting hurt from there.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2011
1:01 PM

Post #8674097

There were no fireworks here, thankfully. Everybody knows how bad/dry our situation is. The sad thing is that the fish in the stock tanks and ponds are dying now. The vultures are having a feast.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2011
5:31 PM

Post #8674640

Hot and humid still. Today is even worse than yesterday. It's so humid out you can taste the humidity. Yesterday was hot but not quite as humid. Went to a nearby town and watched fireworks there. They had a great show so will probably go back there again next year and watch.

Hollyhock Creme De Cassis is what this should be. First time blooming for me since I got it last year.

Thumbnail by pepper23

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2011
6:04 PM

Post #8674710

The weather here has been tolerable, not extremely hot right now or the last few days, tho that could change. - Tomorrow weather.com says 84°/70° with a 40% chance for rain.
Billyp, yes the Tri-color Jasmine is zone 8, a house-plant here! I gave that one and a Hens and Chicks jar like it to a friend Saturday. I hope they bring the Jasmine in for the Winter! Nice Hollyhock there, Pepper! I bet those vultures are liking that, too bad for the fish tho.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2011
3:18 AM

Post #8675317

66°/87° Plenty of sunshine. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph.

Lou, at least the biggest danger is over. I'm glad most people followed the rules.

Sounds like the perfect day.

Bernie, over water is the best way to see fireworks. I remember being a kid and seeing the paper fall around us. Still sparking. No one ever got burned or had their blanket burn up tho.

Ladypearl, like we need more vultures. That is very sad. When will it all end?

Pepper, beautiful Hollyhock! It should re-seed now.

Will, we've been the same. Tolerable.

I hope they know to bring the Jasmine in too.

North winds today. A good day to work outside!
PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2011
8:55 AM

Post #8675933

Hi everyone~ Only supposed to be 98 today. same forecast as yesterday, but it ended up 106.7 yesterday. We actually have a 10% chance of some rain next Sunday! We'll see what happens.

Love everyone's pictures. So nice to see thick, lush green grass and gorgeous flowers from Bernie and billyp.

No wonder Ric has so many butterflies with those outrageously beautiful flowers.

Can't believe pepper you can make hollyhocks grow with the rain you've had this year. Mine grow without even being watered at all... it's been one year now without rain!! Four o'clocks, dill, zinnia have all reseeded themselves and grown and bloomed with zero rain. Amazing.

Adina, what kind of tomatoes are those? Never seen any like that.

LadyPearl, gosh it's sad to hear about your fish. If they stop pumping our lake full of water with that well, we'll lose all of ours too.

So glad we didn't get many crazies shooting off fireworks.

Celia - your garden with your sweet williams is gorgeous. I lost my rose of sharon and 12 ft. hollies this past winter. so sad. I loved them.

Will - loved your hen and chicks but that jasmine is gorgeous!

My DH insisted we put up a greenhouse this year so we did and I love it. I'm thinking of putting some jasmine in there so I can keep it alive during the winter.

Lou- people were trying to buy fireworks here from the vendors but then the landowners where the vendors were renting came in and shut them down! yeah!

E_B, loved that cartoon!

Jan - I hope I get to experience that wonderful feeling of everything coming back to life after a rain. That will be great.

Thumbnail by PrissyJo

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 6, 2011
9:29 AM

Post #8675998

Prissy, thank you! This is my 1st year for the SW. I love them, too. When the other 2 get bigger, it'll be better.

81º, mostly clear and great!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2011
10:00 AM

Post #8676084

Oh My Word! Have you seen the huge dust storm that has hit Phoenix. Were I there, I would think it was the end of the world. So many people used to move to Arizona for health. Mainly, those with asthma. So sad.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 6, 2011
10:35 AM

Post #8676172

We saw video on the news last night. What an experience for them! Not what I would want to go through.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2011
5:38 PM

Post #8676937

I saw the dust storm this morning. Amazing.

Not as hot today. Highs in the mid 80s. Still high humidity but not too bad all in all. Cloudy all day also.

'Meringue' coneflower

Thumbnail by pepper23

Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2011
8:46 PM

Post #8679497

Yep that was one heck of a dust storm in AZ. - what a mess to clean up. At least we have dead or dying grass to hold our soil in place here. When the wind kicks up we do get a lot of flying dirt though (from the fields that have been plowed.) So far seventeen bushes in our yard have died even though we had been watering them. They just don't care for tap water.

I'm curious to know if those of you that have wells and water your gardens can tell a difference when the weather is this hot (especially those in the drought areas). Was it worth the cost of getting the well dug and pump, etc. ? I know plants like well water much better than water from the hose. But I'm wondering if the heat is stressing the plants more than the lack of good water (rain or well water.)

Billyporter, it is very sad for the fish and the other wildlife that drink from the stock tanks, not to mention the problem for the ranchers in providing water for cattle in remote pastures.
I guess it is better that the vultures eat the fish than for them to lay around and smell bad (rot.) But it would be MUCH better if this weather pattern would change and we would get some good soaking rains. Do I sound like a broken record? (yes!)

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 7, 2011
9:20 PM

Post #8679529

It takes a lot of water to match a good rain. 1" of rain is about 6½ gallons per sq yard. Your bush is probably taking up 9 sq yards, so you would need to run close to 60 gallons of water every time you water to get it moist enough to do some good. You will need to check how long it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket to tell how long the water needs to run. If you are using a sprinkler, you will lose at least half the water to evaporation.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 7, 2011
11:41 PM

Post #8679595

Prissy, beautiful sunflowers! I'm not sure what kind are those tomatoes... some of our Romanian species, anyway. I'll tell you better when they will are ripe. I saved lots of seeds last summer from the tomatoes I bought from the market. We have lots of people selling their own products in the market, just like Bernie.
Sally, they are rescued in my garden, yes!!!
Pepper, wonderful color of your hollyhock!

Hot, very hot, 92F today!!! Have to overwater !
Look who's having fun at the pool! Nicholas and my DD will leave to the seaside on Monday.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2011
4:30 AM

Post #8679748

65°/87° Plentiful sunshine. Winds light and variable.

Prissy Jo, I am glad you love your greenhouse. I think they are so nice!

Celia, I have the red and yellow gaillardia, but what is the pretty yellow one?

Lou, what a horrible dust storm!!!

Pepper, Meringue is beautiful!!

Ladypearl, we put our own pitcher pump in. To me it's very worth it, but we only had to go down 22' and the place we got our pipe lent us the auger and pipe pounder. Right now, we are just damp a few inches down so we've been watering garden and a few choice plants every day.

I would say the heat stress is bad. We had wilted tomato tips before we watered and the weather got nice for a few days. Today it starts heating up again.

Adina, smiling. I love to ''rescue'' plants :o)

Wow! What a gorgeous water baby!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2011
6:41 AM

Post #8679955

Thanks PrissyJo, I wish that Jasmine was hardy outside, but it's zone 8. I think I've been lucky accommodating it in the Winter. I started out with 6 Jasmine plants, I am down to 2, they look healthy though. Nice 'Meringue', Pepper! I know if I was a butterfly I'd land on it!
Sorry it's so dry there, PrissyJo, we have an abundance of rain I'm afraid. I wish I could send you the torrential downpour we had yesterday.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 8, 2011
9:40 AM

Post #8680256

Adina, I wish I knew that yellow Gaillardia but it came in a bunch of mixed seeds.

74º, overcast and slightly breezy. We have 66% humidity and had a little but of rain last night. It was nice to have the windows open and listen to it.

Sedum 'Dragon's Blood' blooming.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2011
10:16 AM

Post #8680334

CountryGardens, I hadn't done the math so didn't know exactly how much water was required (a lot as you have pointed out.) So it doesn't really matter I guess in a drought this bad if you water or not, stuff is going to die (unless you have a well). It's sad and frustrating.

Billyporter, guess we should find out how deep the water is in this area then, and get the ball rolling on putting in a well.

Adina, I would like to trade your hot weather for our hot weather. We are expected to be 108 degrees this afternoon. : / Looks like that young'un is having a good cooling off in the pool! : )

Kwanjin, how does that sedum hold up in hot weather?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 8, 2011
12:31 PM

Post #8680525

All my sedums hold up wonderfully! They love the heat and perform beautifully.

Sedum acre.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 8, 2011
12:50 PM

Post #8680547

Hot today! All the garden help is holding up pretty good. Most of the picking is done. A couple things left for evening. Let them grow as long as possible, cucumbers, summer squash & zucchini.
Also will pick strawberries this evening.
We will have a big load tomorrow. Big bucks!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2011
5:23 PM

Post #8681042

Hot, sunny and humid. Yep, it's July. LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 8, 2011

Post #8681045

I gonna have a heat wave until July 11!

http://www.accuweather.com/us/mo/joplin/64801/watches-warnings.asp

Look like not going have rain for 1 whole week! Just hot, hot and hot!

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8681051

Hope you get some rain down there next week then!! You, Rusty and Ju stay cool!!

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 8, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8681055

Next week will be no rain as the weather new said!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 8, 2011
7:40 PM

Post #8681279

Well we got rain just when we needed to do some heavy duty container watering!

The Butterflies need a good food source for their caterpillars. Provide that and you get lots of butterflies.
We have feeding and egg laying plants now for most of the bigger ones and we are starting to see results.
BTW the purple flowering butterfly bushes attract more butterflies than the other colors.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2011
4:39 AM

Post #8681570

66°/87° Sunshine to start, then a few afternoon clouds. Winds SSE at 10 to 15 mph.

Will, we could use some rain, but I've been wishing it away in hopes the driveway guy would pin down a date to work.

Celia, I'll have to Google an all yellow gaillardia. I like it better than coreopsis.

Nice color on the sedum. Not too bloody :o) The yellow is nice too!

Ladypearl, It would be interesting to see how deep a well you would need. It might be 100'. That would start being expensive. I'm putting up a link. I haven't had time to look into it much. I'll have to do my town and see what it's all about.

http://wdr.water.usgs.gov/nwisgmap/?state=tx

Bernie, real glad your help is holding out. You deserve those big bucks!

Pepper, it is July!

Nice containers!!

Rusty, no like hot hot hot!

Ric, I think I have the Black Knight Butterfly Bush. It's barely bloomed so I guess I'll see this year for sure, LOL! I go thru more bushes. Nanho Blue was the one I had the longest and it died out. This one is too far under the walnut tree and is shaded most of the day :o(

We didn't get too hot yesterday so I mowed a day early. Still waiting for the driveway guy. We ''called before we dug'' and they marked the phone line. We knew where it was and know all our things are in the back yard. They marked both phone and gas one year and I went out an measured it all. Then I drew it to scale.

New baby pictures :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2011
8:16 AM

Post #8681886

Bebeeeeeeeees!!! LOL
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2011
6:24 PM

Post #8682816

Same as yesterday. lol. Turned my soaker hose on today and watered my garden for a couple hours. I love that hose now. All I have to do is turn the water on. lol

Queen of the Prairie and Radrazz Coneflower blooming in front of my never clean truck. lol.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2011
9:11 PM

Post #8683057

64° and falling after a high of 84° today. An intense thunderstorm early Friday morning dumped a lot of rain so the gardens are doing well. Overall, the weather here has been good the past month of so. With so much of the country either flooded or in drought I consider myself lucky.

I collect rainwater from my garage roof (3 barrels) for watering container plants and garden plants if needed. We're hooked into the municipal water supply here so it saves me a bit to use rainwater and it's probably better for the plants.

Photo: The flower gardens are blooming! I took this photo early this morning.

early_bloomer

Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2011
9:34 PM

Post #8683085

Thanks for the link Billyporter. DH and I spent about 40 minutes looking at our area. It appears that there are lots of wells north of the border (in Oklahoma) but very few around here. That just seems too strange. Maybe there is a reason the Texans don't report the wells they have on their land. Anyway, we were not able to find out how deep the wells in our area need to be because there doesn't seem to be any. It was interesting to use that map though.

Everyday is the same - HOT and DRY. More of our bushes are dieing - some of them were planted 30 years ago when the house was built.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2011
4:27 AM

Post #8683242

72°/88° Mixed clouds and sun this morning. Scattered thunderstorms developing this afternoon. A few storms may be severe. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Celia, yeppers!!

Pepper, ROTFL!!! I pumped gallons and gallons of water yesterday on top of DH pumping more, and we watered and watered and watered.

Beautiful blooms! I've always liked Queen of The Prairie, but never got any. A neighbor down the street offered to share and I'm not sure she even has them anymore. I know they like it wet. Do you have your's planted in a wet spot? Love the Coneflower!!

Baptisia? I have two of the deep purple.

Early, I feel pretty lucky too, weather-wise.

Beautiful!! I need to get out and get overall pictures of my beds :o)

Ladypearl, I wonder who you could go to to ask? It's pretty interesting. Maybe there is too much rock and it's too expensive to drill? We have aquifers under us with a lot of sand and limestone to filter the water. You could Google the geology of your county.

We filled large tubs with water and pulled them on my garden cart to water. I can't imagine how many gallons, but it was all worth it. I waterd almost all my flowers that need water. Astilbe, Daylilies, Phlox, and we're keeping the garden watered too.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 10, 2011
6:30 AM

Post #8683507

I went out last evening & drug a hose around watering some newly transplanted cabbage & kohlrabi. Took better part of 2 hours. You guessed it, we got a real nice thunderstorm at 4 AM. Got about ¾".

Some pictures from market yesterday.
Anybody for beans ?

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 10, 2011
6:35 AM

Post #8683511

Kohlrabi are a fast seller.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 10, 2011
6:37 AM

Post #8683516

Zucchini & squash are just starting.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 10, 2011
6:40 AM

Post #8683521

First cucumbers of the year.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 10, 2011
6:41 AM

Post #8683523

Some of the shoppers.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 10, 2011
6:43 AM

Post #8683526

People next to us sell their organic meat products. She is a painter & decorated their truck.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 10, 2011
6:51 AM

Post #8683539

Not to bad of a day considering. Mankato & North Mankato are twin towns separated by the river. North Mankato had their yearly celebration yesterday. The parade is at 11 AM so cuts into our crowd.

We stopped & picked up a refrigerator from the cafe we sell eggs to. It works good but not approved by health dept. He sold it to us at a good price. We will use it in our market trailer for our eggs. Eggs sold at FM in MN need to be kept in mechanical refrigerator. The meat people have a generator we hook into.

Forecast today is 91º & sunny. High humidity. So this guy will be staying in air conditioned areas.
Probably work in the shop for a time. Air out there is very nice!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8684719

Baptisa is there and a bunch others. lol. None of the plants there are in a wet spot. More like a dry spot. I haven't watered in there for awhile. I finally dragged the laundry hose down to hit the rose I have right there but other than that it's holding it's own. I have a miniture rose that I should probably hit though.

Still hot, temps reached high 90s with heat indexes reaching 114 degrees in some places. Humidity is around 60%.

Thumbnail by pepper23

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 10, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8684728

What our unusually cold winter did not kill, this hot summer is. My water bill is approaching $350. and is barely keeping things alive. Many plants are actually burned, including the Texas natives that are supposed to withstand hell fire. Not this time. The suns rays are so intense it is like standing in front of a steel mill's furnace.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2011
7:40 PM

Post #8684992

Yep, Billyporter, you're right, we need to find out who to ask (get more info on digging a well here.) I have heard from a friend of a friend that it would run about 7k -that sure sounds high, though. Maybe we just need to buy a farm up there in Iowa where it rains. !

LouC, I've noticed that the sun's rays seem more intense as well. Even agave and cacti are getting those white scald marks on them. For the first time that I can remember had to move pots with periwinkles under the porch to get more shade since they were shriveling up even when kept watered.
CountryGardens, you have the most beautiful farmland and produce! How do you keep the weeds and insects under control with that much land under cultivation?

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2011
4:37 AM

Post #8685342

79°/92° Partly to mostly cloudy skies with scattered thunderstorms mainly during the morning. A few storms may be severe. Winds WNW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Bernie, you are a master gardener and a perfectionist! Everything looks sooo good!

She paints a nice scene, and they are very nice to share their generator.

Pepper, my baptisias are in hot dry sunny beds and are doing well with no water. Yeah, I'd water the mini rose.

NICE picture!!

Lou, I can't even imagine a heat that intense. It's a shame to have to let plants go, but if watering can't help what do you do?

Ladypearl, that is pretty expensive. That's what I was afraid of, and I wouldn't say it's worth it. It sounds like they have to go pretty deep.

Smiling. The more weather I see, the more I like Iowa :o) We aren't perfect tho. We've had thunder, wind, and clouds racing over us this morning, and only a sprinkle out of it all. It's a good thing we've watered the last few days.

This morning's clouds

Thumbnail by billyporter

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 11, 2011
5:26 AM

Post #8685422

Yesterday, It's hit up to 105...

Today:

Today: Sunny and hot, with a high near 104. Southwest wind between 8 and 14 mph.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 11, 2011
5:45 AM

Post #8685462

More rain last night. The workers will get muddy feet picking beans today.
Sun is out.
68º going to 85º.

Weeds; We have had 2 men weeding for near a month now. Lots of cultivating.

Bugs; Mother nature does a pretty good job. -30º in winter does them in & they need to start over in summer.
We've never had trouble other than thrips on Gladiolus. Once they came with corms from a place in IL. Another time with corms from Walmart.
We only buy corms from Nagel's in Michigan now.

Will be installing some bathroom cabinets this afternoon.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2011
10:13 AM

Post #8685974

Wow, CountryGardens, you all do a good job (weeding). Sounds like that is an ideal place to farm (the winter kills most of the bad bugs for you. You get plenty of rain and have good temps.) We once got root knot nematodes in some soil/tomato plants from Walmart. Never did get rid of them.
Hope the cabinet installation goes well for you.

Ya'll send any extra clouds and rain to the southwest...

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 11, 2011
11:22 AM

Post #8686100

Went to load the cabinets, varnish isn't dry. To much humidity lately I guess.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8686855

Hot with really high humidity. Temps in the high 90s, edging up to 100 in some places.

Thumbnail by pepper23

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 11, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8687033

We have been at or over 100 for weeks now. No rain and none in sight. Even my Texas natives are drooping. What I didn't loose to our unusually cold winter is going to be gone in this heat. Actually brought two plants inside today because it is toooooo hot...even in the shade. hahahahaha Just scrolled up and this is almost exactly the same I posted a couple of days ago. Guess I just need to hold off until there is a change. Let's see that is usually around Nov. 15.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2011
6:53 PM

Post #8687086

LOL. Hopefully you get some rain soon. You probably won't but we can always hope!!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2011
4:59 AM

Post #8689587

68°/78° A few showers this morning with mostly cloudy conditions during the afternoon hours. Winds ENE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Rusty, I hope your weather has changed by now!

Bernie, we don't get the way below zero temps anymore. Not that I want them, but it would be nice to kill a few select bugs.

Ladypearl, I've read that nemetodes can be a real problem and very hard to kill without professionals doing it.

Bernie, I hope the cabinets dried. Yep, humidity here too.

Pepper, beautiful daylilies!

Lou, no problem with repeats :o) We love weather. That's why we're here. There's always something to talk about, or pictures to post.

DD called to see when we might be getting the boys. I told her pack them up, we're on our way. Four kids are a handful and she hasn't asked for much help yet. I know she's getting worn out.

The wind has switched. We didn't get much more rain than to wet the road so it's a good thing we've been watering. I'm going to contimue to keep the blooming plants wet.

The hand pump was pumping hard so DH took it apart to check the leathers. It was rough, but not cracked, so he dried it off and put it back on.

He also made a bettter handle since the other one he made snapped. I tried the pump with the short original handle before he got the new one on and boy does IT pump hard. I would have ginormous muscles if I had to pump that way all day!

He took a piece of PCV pile that will fit snuggly over the handle, then melted it with a torch and bent it up to a comfortable angle. We doused it with cold water and it's so much easier on the wrist.

Old time daylily

Thumbnail by billyporter

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 13, 2011
6:33 AM

Post #8689712

Got rain here for good soak!

Our DG friend pass away Donna (socal) yesterday and go to Memory Garden

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1196437/

This message was edited Jul 13, 2011 12:44 PM

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2011
8:48 AM

Post #8689928

Oh, thanks for letting us know, Rusty.
PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2011
2:32 PM

Post #8690542

OMG, yes, I've been praying for rain for almost a year! IT'S HERE! IT'S ACTUALLY RAINING OUT RIGHT NOW. This is water coming out of the gutter for my 250 gallon rain barrel!!! You should have heard the workmen laughing at me when I told them I wanted gutters and rain barrels installed. I've got three 250 gallon barrels plus 2 55-gallons. They're filling up!!!!!!!! The temp dropped to 73 and the humidity is 72. Yes, even when it's raining here, the humidity is still only 72.

LOU and PEARL - I really really hope you're getting some of this!!!!!!

My grass is turning garnet green before my eyes.

FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thumbnail by PrissyJo

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8690712

Sooo happy for you. Sprinklers running right now, all for naught. 103 so far today.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2011

Post #8690812

Glad that Rusty and Prissy are getting rain!! Whoo hoo!!

Sorry to hear about socal.

Still hot but only in the high 80s with high humidity. Tomorrow about the same then the heat ratchets up to around 100 for at least a 5 day stretch. We got several storms last night though so my plants are happy now. Won't have to water again til Friday.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2011

Post #8690881

PrissyJo! You go girl!!!

early_bloomer

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2011
10:11 PM

Post #8691260

Woohoo!!! Rain for Prissy!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2011
5:26 AM

Post #8691458

61°/82° Partly cloudy. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph.

Rusty, I never knew Donna, but I'm sorry for her friends who will miss her. Oh, I went to see who she was. She was one of the first. Her loss will be great. I'm so sorry for her friends and family.

Prissy Jo, I am jumping and shouting with you in your rain even tho it was yesterday. That is most wonderful!!

Yes, you were smart to have barrels and gutters installed. Who is laughing now?

Awww Lou, it can't much longer can it?

Pepper, our rain keeps fizzling out, but for once, I'm glad. After we get a driveway and the concrete sets, it can rain!

Nice little Hostas! I'm still amazed at how big my little one's got :o)

Today is our last nice day and we wil be at 95* for a few days too. July's vengence! It just better give me tomatoes!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 14, 2011
5:36 AM

Post #8691479

Hooray for the rain, Prissy!
Sally, aweeee, what cuties! Love the daylily too.
E_B, lovely photo of your garden!
Celia, your sedum looks great!
Lovelylady, no thanks!LOL
Our temps are going up to 98F , no rain. Watering takes about 3 hours.
These are some of the carrots I pulled out to divide them.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2011
9:37 AM

Post #8691919

75* and beautiful out! I'm on coffee break :o)

Adina, love the carrots! They look like mine when I grow them!
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 14, 2011
12:26 PM

Post #8692183

Yah for you PrissyJo!!! So glad you got rain!

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 14, 2011
1:31 PM

Post #8692287

Oh boy! More Heat wave until July 19!

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2011
4:37 PM

Post #8692622

With the recent tragedy of Joplin's tornado, I shall no more complain about our heat. We have lived through 3 tornados in our community, the last being 1994 that nearly took the neighboring community off the map. I have seen first hand the damage and it is so much worse than a picture. An acquaintance took a trailer load to Joplin and we donated as much as we could round up. I am thankful that I have a cool house and as much water as I want to pay for to take of my garden. Sadly, the weather bureau reports it will take hurricane to break up the system we have now and bring rain. Hard to pray for that. Now, if the gvt will just settle the budget so I can get my SS check.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2011
5:59 PM

Post #8692759

Hot and humid again. Sunny.

Coneflower and phlox

Thumbnail by pepper23

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2011
4:33 AM

Post #8693480

70°/88° Sun and clouds mixed. Partly cloudy skies early will give way to cloudy skies late. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph.

Rusty, I guess we have to have heat in JUly :o(

Lou, there is always something to be grateful for.

Hope the SS check is in the mail.

Pepper, I love Phlox!! What a pretty pink combination!

I have one last nice day even tho it will be around 90*.

Last night we had to keep the house closed up because at dusk, someone spread manure. Thankfully it faded and we could cool the house off overnight,

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 15, 2011
4:48 AM

Post #8693493

Sally, nice weather! Having my coffee now too!
Beautiful phlox, Pepper!
It's very hot, 98F and going up. They forecasted rain on week-end...we'll see if this is true! I have cucumbers everyday at breakfast and the tomatoes are starting to rippen. Have to harvest the apricots, yeah!!!!

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2011
5:19 AM

Post #8693536

Adina, my coffee is long gone and I should be too.

How awesome!! The apricots are ready!! Enjoy!!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 15, 2011
6:19 AM

Post #8693619

Thanks, they're my favorite fruits so I can hardly wait! I cheated and already ate a few , just to see if they're ripe!LOL I even forgot to take pics!ROFL

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2011
9:25 AM

Post #8693933

Adina, ROTFL too!!!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 15, 2011
2:42 PM

Post #8694430

We had a dosy of a day!
Around 8 AM the sky opened up. Rained so hard people on the freeway had to pull over for a time. Lots of wind with it too. Then it got hot, maybe in the 90's. Around 3 PM, a thunderstorm rolled through. 1½" rain in 20 minutes.
Localized flooding because it came so fast. No wind this time, just rain straight down. A little wind later in the storm. Then it cooled down a little. Forecast is for 90's the next 7 days. Wow!
We have about 6" of rain since last Sunday early AM. Things are growing like gangbusters.
Cousa squash, which should be picked under 6" long, some was to big, had to throw it. It was picked Wed. Grew fast!

Field corn was planted late because of wet soils. Rainy, hot weather, it is now caught up to normal. Lots of tassels showing last couple days. Another bumper crop here.

Market tomorrow & we have a huge load ready.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 15, 2011
2:47 PM

Post #8694438

More change date to July 22 heat wave (ahhhh!) :(

I gonna lose some tomatoes that I don't get enough this time cause of the tornado! So, Only I have is beets and turnips!

Went to Webb City Farmer Market today and brought full basket of tomatoes (7 for $6)...
Lot of peoples go there!

This message was edited Jul 15, 2011 4:48 PM
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8694721

Excessive Heat Warnings in effect for much of the Midwest til Friday. Gonna be a scorcher of a week again next week!!

Statement Oriental Lily
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2011
5:45 PM

Post #8694729

Wrong button. Let me try again. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2011
5:48 PM

Post #8694737

Wow! That's MUCH prettier than the one that isn't there!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 15, 2011
6:01 PM

Post #8694765

Amanda, I am soooo impressed. You have become a master gardner. Love your flowers.

PK
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2011

Post #8694775

I try but I am always losing them over the winters. lol. That lily isn't doing so good right now. Blooms smaller and I've already lost 1 bulb so am down to 2. I need to amend that spot but it has to wait til early fall.

Thumbnail by pepper23

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 15, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8694793

Going to dig 8 huechera plants tomorrow and plant in a galvanized wash tub. The heat is killing them. Even though they are in dappled shade the leaves are scorched and crisp. Maybe I can save them for next year. Probably not worth the effort.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2011
5:33 AM

Post #8695409

73°/88° Scattered thunderstorms, especially during the morning. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Geeze Loiuse Bernie! You had it all!

Rusty, that is so sad :o(
I pulled alll my beets already, but my turnips didn't make it. I do have onions and a tiny row of green beans to look forward to.

Pepper, grinning over wrong button.

Oh wow! gorgeous!

Celia, CRACKING UP!

Pepper, smaller?? LOL! Wow again! But I hear you on losing a bulb and dwindling size. My beautiful Muscadet and Oriential Girl are both gone now :o(
O.G. never was a strong grower, but Musc. was huge, fragrant and strong. I had dirt mixed up for them, but am down to one bucketful now. I need to move all of mine.

Lou, it will be worth it if you like them. Plant them one inch deeper than they were. Use a fork to dig them so you don't tear the roots. I myself use a spade and try to cut a big square of dirt around them, then just plant the whole thing deeper. That's how I try to move most things that are established. The extra dirt from that hole fills the old hole :o)

Today we heat up. It's already humid so I can see I need to stick to the shade. The driveway guy showed up last night with his two man crew, to orient them on the layout. They'll be here Monday!!! The concrete driveway is going to be wonderful!

Here's the layout with hopeful Hubby and the neighbor's cat, LOL!

Thumbnail by billyporter

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2011
8:23 AM

Post #8695652

billy, my dream is a home with a tin/metal roof. I love your place.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 16, 2011
10:47 AM

Post #8695917

That cat looks like a small dog in that picture!! LOL

Hot and humid and it's barely afternoon!! UGH!!!

Tiger lilies blooming

Thumbnail by pepper23

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2011
10:33 PM

Post #8696984

Oh, I LOVE the tiger lilies! SO pretty!

102º at our house today. We did get some things done, though.

Pelicans circling the valley.

This message was edited Jul 17, 2011 1:15 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2011
3:48 AM

Post #8697105

75°/95° Sun and clouds mixed. Hot and humid. Heat index near 110F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph.

Thanks Lou, the metal roofs are fairly new. It was that, or put a third layer of shingles on, only to have to strip it when we got 20 years older. DH did all the roofing and I helped carry shingles up. I don't miss it :o)

Pepper, LOL! That cat is small and gets skinnier every day! He is a beautiful creamy orange but so bony to pet :o)

Pepper, my tigers are getting ready to open. They were at my house when Mom and Dad moved in, so they are over 53 years old. Naturally I have the bulbs of the originals, but still... :o)

They are so beautiful!!

Celia, I love to see the pelicans! They are so strange to see in Iowa, but they do land at the conservation areas we have.

We get the hot weather today as the whole USA heats up!

The South yard. So far, the neighbors haven't taken the trees down. We will lose all that shade when they do and it's where we would like to put a second pitcher pump. It would go in the yard about half way down the flower bed.

Thumbnail by billyporter

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 17, 2011
5:05 AM

Post #8697176

It's now is

Sunny 78°
RealFeel® 81°

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 17, 2011
8:53 AM

Post #8697501

We had somewhere around 3" of rain Friday. Now humidity is off the scale. House windows were all fogged up this morning.
This thread is pictures of our market Sat.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1197177/

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2011
9:24 AM

Post #8697564

Rusty, that's pretty warm for morning :o(

Bernie, I can imagine the humidity! I'm off to see your pictures :o)

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2011
11:01 AM

Post #8697785

billyporter

I was looking at the outline for your new driveway. I have one question? How come you are cutting in and then straight, instead of having it the same width from the garage to the street? I'm asking as we did something similar and we hated it, we finally went back and made the driveway straight from the width of our garage to the street. Just something for you to think about.

Jan
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2011
4:23 PM

Post #8698249

Hot but humidity is down. Yesterday was breezy which helped while at the wedding of my brother. Today it's just hot. Gonna be hot for the forseeable future.

Thumbnail by pepper23

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 18, 2011
4:39 AM

Post #8698936

Here's the news about the heat wave:

http://news.yahoo.com/worst-heatwave-years-grips-midwest-threatens-spread-east-151630258.html

It's now Sunny 75°
RealFeel® 78

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 18, 2011
5:02 AM

Post #8698966

80°/96° Isolated thunderstorms this morning, then partly cloudy during the afternoon hours. Hot and humid. Heat index near 110F. Winds SW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Jan, money is the big factor. It's 94' of concrete. We will have room for double parking for the first 20' or so, then back to a single lane. The improvement on that is, it will finally be a straight shot into the garage. We are also going to wing out at the end off the driveway and we need to add a drainage tube. Then it's more for moving all the rock out. Luckily, my Dad is going to take it and he's only 4 blocks from me, so we save transport costs there. The other angle is so the Walnut tree doesn't push the concrete and break it up.

I can see how annoying it was, LOL! We just never had the means to straighten it up years ago.

Pepper, you survived the Wedding! It was hot here, but I sat outside, found a few more things to water, and took more pictures :o)

How delicately beautiful!

Rusty, the worst thing about the heat wave is that tempers rise too. I am soooo glad I don't live in the bigger cities with no grass or trees to cool it down a little.

I believe in Global Warming. It doesn't take but a fraction of a rise to really set off the heat. I know this heat isn't the result of it, but I can see where we are headed if we don't stop putting pollution in the air. Too hot is too hot.

Off the soapbox. Not trying to start a debate.

Pepper, I'll see your Daylily and raise you two :o)

I know this is Mauna Loa for sure, since I ordered it. Ric identified another no name plant as Mauna Loa too. This one has just bloomed for two years now and I had it a lot longer than the no name. So, now I have two. Pictures don't do it justice. I called the other one Sunset.

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 18, 2011
5:04 AM

Post #8698976

An orchid no name I think it's old. I got it from my friend in 1991. She got it from her sister.

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 18, 2011
5:10 AM

Post #8698988

Trumpet Lily. No name, from Jungs. I thought Anastasia. It wasn't included in the package. It was to be just copper, yellow, white, and pink. She's big, beautiful and scented :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 18, 2011
4:25 PM

Post #8700382

Weather change it again until July 23 (more heat wave!)

Been doing house clean up and paint bathroom which JuJu was pup's claws on the trim and slide door all paint...
I has spray on the cabinet chalk board wall for shopping list!

This message was edited Jul 18, 2011 6:26 PM
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8700558

The weather forecast is awful. We are moving up on the record. Already in the top ten. Thing is there has been no rain since February. A scorcher when we are already in a drought. Time to get down on our knees.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8700651

Hot, hot and hot.

Bp, love Mauna Loa. I need to get it one of these days. Love the other lilies too!!

Don't know if I have done this one yet or not. I need to get more pics soon.

Thumbnail by pepper23

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 19, 2011
3:55 AM

Post #8701119

79°/97° Areas of patchy fog early. Scattered clouds with the possibility of an isolated thunderstorm developing this afternoon. Heat index near 115F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Rusty, I still remember the color you painted the inside of your closet a few years ago, LOL! What color is the bathroom? I hope Ju has owtgrown the scratching.

Lou, that is just awful. I don't think anyone knew this was the summer we were in for.

Pepper, thanks :o) Mauna Loa is truely beautiful

Love both! Pinks and yellows go so good together.

We're hot till Tuesday when we get a break and go back to the 80's. I can not believe July is half over. The State Fair is just a month away.

Pepper, a bit of my Phlox. I have it alll over. It keeps reseeding and I can't wait to see what each new seedling looks like, LOL!

Thumbnail by billyporter

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2011
5:05 AM

Post #8701198

[quote="billyporter"]

Rusty, I still remember the color you painted the inside of your closet a few years ago, LOL! What color is the bathroom? I hope Ju has owtgrown the scratching.

[/quote]

Paint I got from Lowe's and color is La Fonda Turquoise...
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 19, 2011
7:01 AM

Post #8701363

Strangely, we had record breaking low temps this past winter. This has definitely been a year of extremes and it is only July.
So sorry for our friends in Phoenix. Yet another horrific dust storm.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 19, 2011
8:39 AM

Post #8701556

It's heating up!
High predicted to be 94º with high humidity. Heat index close to 120º.
We cancelled going to market today.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 19, 2011
9:19 AM

Post #8701633

Very hot here too, 98F. Lucky it's chilly during the night or we wouldn't be able to sleep too well.
Great flowers BP and Pepper!
Sally, hooray for the driveway!!!Can't wait top see it!
Sunflowers are starting to bloom.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8702583

Hottest day yet!! At 5pm the temp was still 100 degrees. But the humidity is low, around 30% so that helps a teeny tiny bit. LOL

My coneflower and wild phlox bed. This was taken last month so it's not in it's full glory yet. I need to get new pics of garden but it's too hot!! I might try tomorrow morning before I go to work. My Casa Blanca lily is blooming.

Thumbnail by pepper23

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 19, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8702601

Amanda, ever since I got this imac I cannot figure out how to upload pics from iphoto.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2011
6:20 PM

Post #8702603

If I had a Mac I could help you but I just have a plain ole computer that likes to butt heads with me. lol

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 19, 2011
8:52 PM

Post #8702859

5 PM in Minneapolis, temperature was 96º, dew point set a record at 82º. Made for heat index of 119º. Too hot!
One more day of this, then the humidity will fall.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2011
4:06 AM

Post #8703071

80°/98° Sunny. Hot and humid. Heat index near 110F. Winds SW at 10 to 20 mph.

Rusty, turquoise sounds beautiful!

Lou, isn't this year something? I hope it's not going to be the way of the world from now on.

Bernie, I can imagine your produce wilting. I hope you can get there tomorrow.

Adina, we have all the doors and windows open this morning, but it stays hot till real late so everything stays closed at night. Our fans have barely had a break.

I love flower pictures where they aren't quite open :o)

Pepper, I spotted my Casa Blanca bloom real low yesterday.

I can imagine the bed in full glory :o)

Wow Bernie! That is some dew point!

The cat had something this morning. DH set it on the ground by the maple and she did climb up pretty high. I hope the cat didn't damage her too much and that she can deposit some eggs.

Imperial Moth and the second one I've seen here.

Thumbnail by billyporter

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 20, 2011
7:28 AM

Post #8703369

Going to be very hot tomorrow heat index 110...

http://www.accuweather.com/us/mo/joplin/64801/city-weather-forecast.asp
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2011
8:44 AM

Post #8703632

Rusty, how is the cleanup from the tornado progressing? I think about those poor people everyday. No home and still having to deal with this weather. I am very thankful for my home and the air conditioner that never cycles off.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 20, 2011
8:58 AM

Post #8703657

They doing clean up pretty fast and still about half of the city and gonna to rebuild too! Still one place to another cleaning up...
FEMA gonna help the peoples who lost homes so they put temp. trailers at Airport City (airport area) 3 or 4 spot on North, South, East and West area and they going to put sewer in ground first then put the temp. trailers... There is about 469 peoples need homes...

Every Sunday, I go for drive around the city and I have to take some pictures (I don't want see first day tornado hit!)...

They going to rebuild Joplin High School (name for Hope High School)...

Here's the Globe newspaper about it...

http://www.joplinglobe.com/

This is old before and I going to take some pictures after on Sunday if I can...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXjiWaQBXjs&feature=player_embedded

This message was edited Jul 20, 2011 11:02 AM

This message was edited Jul 20, 2011 11:27 AM
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2011
9:45 AM

Post #8703752

I'm glad to hear they are helping the people of Joplin - they have been through such an ordeal.

Where are those cold Canadian air masses when we need them???? No need to wait till December -send one now! : )

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2011
10:38 AM

Post #8703884

We keep getting rains and hot air from the south. This is unusual for us to have so much rain in July. Knocking on Canada's door! Hello! We'd like some cooler air, please!!!

We do have cooler temps today. At least, right now we do. 77.4º

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2011
1:56 PM

Post #8704295

And BP? I thought you'd get a kick out of this...

This is baby turned into a two-tiered blossom!!! I will post a pic when it opens on top.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2011
2:27 PM

Post #8704337

"It's too hot,
Too hot baby,
Gotta run for shelter,
Gotta run for shade..."

early_bloomer

This message was edited Jul 20, 2011 4:28 PM

PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2011
3:20 PM

Post #8704407

Hi everyone!!

Thanks for all the cheers for my rain the other day! Turned out to be one-fifth (0.20) of an inch. So of course I still had to water as usual but it was so nice to be out in it!

Looks like our high temperatures are reaching everyone east of us. I feel your pain. Hope everyone stays safe. It's dangerous!!

112.9 out right now. 16% humidity
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2011
5:45 PM

Post #8704627

Still hot but today it felt a bit more bearable. Funny thing is it was just as hot today as it was yesterday. lol

I went out and trimmed the tops off my tomato plants. They were all falling over because they were so heavy. So I just cut them back down to the top of the cages. About a foot or so. My peppers should take off now that they have light. lol. Hopefully this helps the tomatoes turn too. I really want some fresh tomatoes!! lol

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 22, 2011
4:20 AM

Post #8708013

Right now:

Clear 83°
RealFeel® 82°

My house got so cold and I left on A/C all night to keep cool and it been almost 2 wks from tomorrow... Then there hopeful will be raining Sunday night or Monday with thunder!

Yesterday, I water on my house the reason why I do it that all the stuff and dust from tornado also I heard that I has to be very careful on ground which is fungus so it got on my dog's feet... So I can't wait for rain again... Ground getting bad now and it pretty dry and crack...

Got Electric district ordeal to trimming the tree away from the wire on tree's branches...Also it so hotter and sweat that I has to clean up the mess from the tree in my backyard... It's was 101 heat index 105...

Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2011
6:25 AM

Post #8708176

Rain, rain, glorious rain! This is the first rain in a month for our town. I feel revived, and so does my lawn! Our area farmers are surely out dancing in the rain right now. We may only get 3/4 inch or so, but I know we are all thankful for any rain.

Our temp has also dropped to 80 this morning, oh blessed relief...
PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2011
6:42 AM

Post #8708203

It rained last night! Another 1/5 of an inch. Awesome!

It's only 73 degree and 73% humidity!!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2011
7:29 AM

Post #8708279

Rusty, had never heard of the bacteria before. The tragedy just goes on and on. Prayers for you and all of your neighbors.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 22, 2011
7:48 AM

Post #8708314

It hit after the tornado and got raining for while then get hot and all the stuff like drywalls, lumbers and some furnitures left on the curb then windy blewing pretty hard for 2 days that air blew into some other place which it got fungus infection on ground so I have to spray some soaps will kill some fungus and bugs on ground...

Clean up deadline on August 7 (I am not sure what date it will be on 2nd or 7th)...
They did remove all the stuff on the curb over a month and half... Never stop just keep going, going and again...

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 22, 2011
3:40 PM

Post #8709244

Got hit up to 104...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8709403

Heat warnings extended now til Sunday. Reached high 90s with clear skies and no breeze.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8709587

Just check our forecast. You don't want to know.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2011
4:38 AM

Post #8710243

74°/95° Partly cloudy with isolated thunderstorms possible. Hot and humid. Heat index near 105F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

We got one heck of a storm in last night. Constant lightning and another inch of rain. All the cracks in the ground have filled in. Over two days we got 2 and 2/10'' It rained because the little Fair is going on. It always does.

Sun-lit Glad

Rusty, keep cool! It must be hard to see things still torn up. I really feel for those that need a house. How awful!

Ladypearl, I think we'll all be glad to see July go now. Boy, this year is batting a zero for weather.

Celia, awesome!! I haven't had one do that yet!

I have had two different colors come up beside the original deep purple and Marshall's Delight Beebalms. I'm going to dig and isolate them to see if they remain a different color next year.

Early, ROTFL over the popcorn! That's a good one!

Pepper, the tomato hornworms took some of my tops for me, LOL! I haven't had a ripe one yet either. Now I think it's too hot for them. They all look great tho! I have picked two peppers.

Rusty, I sure hope you got the rain, with thunder. We sure got it last night. It was most wonderful!

I hear you on the fungus. I've had a stuffy nose. I think it's from the green mold growing on the dirt we removed the sidewalk blocks from. We need the new driveway and patio to cover it all up. I hope your dogs aren't affected with the fungus.

Sasha, doing the happy dance with you. We are lucky.

Prissy, you're getting there, LOL!

Rusty, I can't imagine the piles of stuff they had to remove. I agree with Lou, it just never ends.

Lou, hugs and prayers. No rain is very depressing. It's not good for tempers either.

Stay cool everyone! The humidity is going to be a killer here.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 23, 2011
5:58 AM

Post #8710334

We have one cold air mass coming over us and it's already bareable outside. 83F is a great temperature!
Apricots are ripe!

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 23, 2011
12:31 PM

Post #8710908

Goofy weather today. Started out muggy. Then it looked like rain, but only a dark cloud carrying NW Wind. By the time we left, sun was out & East wind was blowing hard!

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8711234

Hot and hot.

Went to River Market in Kansas City today. I took a big bag with me and filled it up with some really nice produce!! Carrots, huge bell peppers, some tomatoes, donut peaches, yellow squash, Black Diamond watermelon, blackberries, blueberries, local honey and a few others I can't think of right now. I wanted some baked goods from the Amish but I ran out of room in my bag. lol

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2011
3:34 AM

Post #8711919

74°/91° Partly to mostly cloudy skies with scattered thunderstorms mainly during the morning. Humid. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Adina, your apricots look fantastic!!

Bernie, I hope it cooled down with the wind. Your tables look great!

Pepper, wow, that all sounds good!

More thunder and lightning since I've been up and we are just on the edge of a bit of rain.

Laughing, I just looked at the map and as we entered the rain, a hole opened up! That's ok, we have enough now.
Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2011
3:47 AM

Post #8711923

Sally,
We were right in the center of that storm. My oh my! Weather alarm and raging wind/rain beating against the windows ended my night of sleep about 4:15. Those storms have crossed the Mighty Mississipi by now.

I just checked the rain gauge and we got another inch of rain out of that storm. That's 3.5 inches rain in the past couple days, here. PTL!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2011
5:22 AM

Post #8711980

Sasha, yes you were! All up and down the Mississippi and into Illinois were a ''million'' lightning strikes and red on the radar. We got maybe a tenth from our small shower. I'm hearing thunder again.

That was a lot of much needed rain for you!

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2011
7:29 AM

Post #8712129

I stop at 20th and Main St (gas station)

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2011
7:31 AM

Post #8712134

Another one

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8712138

Closing wall

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2011
7:35 AM

Post #8712139

House rest area and signing on wall alot

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2011
7:37 AM

Post #8712143

Signing on Wall

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2011
7:39 AM

Post #8712146

Joplin High School (Hope High School) craving woods

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2011
7:41 AM

Post #8712150

20th and Conn. Street

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2011
7:48 AM

Post #8712160

There is 70% remove all the debris and still 30 % on property...

It now so hot while I drive around the town to take pictures...

Mostly Cloudy 91°
RealFeel® 92°

I hope it end of the heat tonight! And hope for rain!
Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2011
12:02 PM

Post #8712581

Rusty,
Love and hope are there. God bless you all.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2011
12:24 PM

Post #8712616

Rusty, now that is art! It sure makes a beautiful wall and it put a smile on my face!

The carvings are so neat!

Wow, an amazing amount of mess needing to be picked up. That brings it home.

Thanks for the good and bad sides.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2011
12:55 PM

Post #8712664

Rusty, thank you for those pics. I will not soon forget them!

92º and sunny.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2011
1:38 PM

Post #8712720

Even from the depths, the desire to create something beautiful comes full blown. Praying for these beautiful people.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2011
4:41 PM

Post #8713024

More excessive heat warning in effect until July 28!

Oh no more heat please! lol!

As you see background white cross (Iron Gate) that where tornado start...

26th & McClelland

Check this YouTube

http://youtu.be/VRxvNpTyBt4

This message was edited Jul 24, 2011 7:16 PM

Thumbnail by JuJu55

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2011
5:36 PM

Post #8713103

Great pictures Rusty!! Very sobering.

Excessive heat warning over for now. Now down to a heat watch til Thursday but after tomorrow we could be back to a heat warning for a day or so.

Temps only reached 92 or so but the humidity shot way up so it felt the same as it has for seveal weeks now. Had a brief downpour this morning so that has helped my plants. More rain and storms expected tonight.

Picked my first tomatoes today. My dad made me pick some of my green ones because they are falling off the plants now. I still have a bunch out there and my dad noticed one that is starting to turn on the bottom. So I'll hold off a bit and see what happens. Some of my maters are bigger than my palm. Never have had them that big before. I'm excited!! lol

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2011
4:28 AM

Post #8713578

73°/90° Abundant sunshine. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph.

Celia, very pretty!

Lou, that was beautiful!

Rusty, I thought sure this week would be cooler, but I guess not.

My heart aches to see the devistation. If a tornado can tear down a steel shopping center, how does someone survive in their house?

Oooh Pepper, I'm excited too! Tomatoes are coming, tomatoes are coming!

I prayed for Texas yesterday. I just can't believe anything could survive so long without water.

Hot and humid here too, and I should have worked out yesterday, but we had a nice cooling jeep ride instead.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 25, 2011
5:58 AM

Post #8713672

Reports are in from heat wave last week.
1500 cattle died. 150,000 Turkeys. This is just Minnesota.

Beautiful this morning, sunny 57º. Lots of dew!

Have 4 workers today, cleaning up garden by pulling weeds. They grew fast last week.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2011
6:15 AM

Post #8713700

Bernie, that is a shock!! I always feel bad for the cattle. They are so big and must suffer so much.

I'm glad you have a nice morning and a lot of workers helping!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2011
7:42 AM

Post #8713895

The Southern Living website has several videos and lots of stories about the night of tornados. Amazing.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2011
9:31 AM

Post #8714159

Thank you for the pictures Rusty, it helps to see what is going on there. We hope/pray they continue to have all the help and building materials they need.

Those are some yummy looking apricots Adina!

Yep Billy, north Texas will be glad to see this summer fade away. Gov. Perry has called for prayer and fasting on August 6th. Perhaps the fall will bring rain to all the southern states that need it so much.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2011
9:43 AM

Post #8714177

Country Gardens

I love your farmers market set up. We went for the first time to one of our local farmers market,and what a disappointment. Wish you were down here so I could purchase from you. Our vendors didn't have anything marked, they were messy, nothing to draw you in.

Why oh why can't I find a decent tomatoe??????? I started some tomatoes myself only to have them die due to the heat. A local said tomatoes quit producing when the temps get high, but I remember us growing tomatoes in KY with no problem what so ever...

All I can say for those suffering from the heat, head on down to central florida for some relief.

Jan
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2011
10:15 AM

Post #8714228

104 yesterday, 105 today and more of the same for the next week. Those are actual temps...the heat index is worse.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2011
3:49 PM

Post #8714759

Texas' truck arrives today and donation school supplies for Joplin and also as the news this morning that they help over $41 millions for Joplin! Wow!
Soon all the debris gone and they put some temp. trailers about 4 so far...

T-storm coming in sooner! It now 88 real feel @90... Last night I has T-storm and rain not much also dogs goes crazy!

This message was edited Jul 25, 2011 6:06 PM

Thumbnail by JuJu55

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2011
5:29 PM

Post #8714992

Conjoined twins!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8715068

Still hot and sunny. High of around 95.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 25, 2011
6:32 PM

Post #8715138

My tomatoes just started. Picked about a dozen Friday & around 40 lbs today. Eating one as I type. Also have creamed veggies, all from the garden. Beans, carrots, snow peas, potatoes. & onions. Then a grilled fresh brat for meat. Wow!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2011
3:53 AM

Post #8715729

73°/91° Sun and clouds mixed. A stray shower or thunderstorm is possible. High 91F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph.

Lou, I hope and pray I never see anything like it. To see the piles of wood and the outline of where the houses were, is heartbreaking. If it can tear Walmart apart, how do people survive in their houses?

Ladypearl, I've sent prayers for Texas and anyone else who needs rain. If this continues year after year, it may be the way it will be. Nothing in nature is constant. We have had more rain than usual over the last few years. There is only so much water on the whole earth. What we have, is it.

Jan, that is a huge disapointment with your Market. To not have things priced is very sloppy. I woud have left and gone to another town.

I don't think decent tomato seed isn't even sold to us unlesss you go to Seed Savers. The skin on my ''Sun Cherry'' cherry tomato is really tough. Who wants that in a salad?

Lou, I remember very few days over 100 here, but I do remember how stifling they were.

Rusty, they start building things and Joplin will be on its way! The sooner the better!

Celia, LOL! I thought Mother and Child!!

Bernie, food, drool!

The tomatoes are what we are all waiting for! Those are beauties!

I'm picking a few cherry tomatoes and we've had fried eggplant so far.

I sat in my lawn chair and zoomed. It turned out better than I could have hoped for.

Thumbnail by billyporter

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2011
9:08 AM

Post #8716210

Gee!! I try to pull the tomato cages out of the ground but ground is so dry and hard... I sprained my lower back & pelvis!

It now 88 and real feel @ 103!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2011
9:12 AM

Post #8716222

Oh no!!! Hope you're okay, Rusty. I hate when I do that.

81º sunny and breezy.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 26, 2011
4:58 PM

Post #8717048

Heat warnings in effect again. Hot and very humid. Partly cloudy.
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2011
6:59 PM

Post #8717251

70°F with 60% humidity this evening under clear skies. It was a very pleasant day compared to the high humidity and temps in the 90's we had for the past week or so. We've even had a thunderstorm or two pass through the past few days. Enough rain to refill my empty rain barrels. :-)

Sounds like a good lunch Bernie. I just finished grilling a big basket of fresh garden veggies.

I'm waiting for tomatoes too. I have 40 plants--5 of each heirloom I started from seeds. I'm making do with the little cherry and pear tomatoes for the time being too. I have an apple tree that ripens early so I picked a half-bushel of apples tonight. They snuck up on me and a lot of them are already on the ground.

Stay cool and don't blow away guys...

Photo: My grandson turned 3 yesterday. I suspect he's been slipping out late at night and prowling the back roads in his truck.

early_bloomer

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2011
3:56 AM

Post #8717925

78°/92°
Humidity: 84%
Dew Point:73°
Pressure: 29.81 in
Visibility: 10.0 mi
UV Index: 0 - Low - 9 - Very High
Partly cloudy with a slight chance of thunderstorms. Hot and humid. Winds S at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Ouch Rusty! I hope you have something for it.

Early, those nice days are sure nice to see!

The grilled veggie sound good!

Awesome picture, and it sure makes me smile!

Heat warnings for us too. I'm going to get out and walk while I can.

Pepper, I have volunteer Phlox everywhere. Good thing I love it :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2011
3:20 AM

Post #8720380

82°/89°
Humidity: 69%
UV Index: 7 High
Record High: 104°F (1983)

Scattered showers and thunderstorms. A few storms may be severe. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

It's going to be a bit cooler today, but I think I'll start watering while the plants are still a little wet. We have a chance of rain, but we'll see if it enters the State or if it dries up before it gets here.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2011
6:29 PM

Post #8721894

Hot and humid. Rain trying to move in.

Finally have tomatoes working on turning.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2011
4:07 AM

Post #8722489

77°F/89° Cloudy skies early, followed by partial clearing. Humid. Winds NNE at 5 to 10 mph

Pepper, we got rain yesterday. Not a lot, but it came and went.

Yay, now your Dad won't pull them, LOL!

We get the Grandkids today :o)

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2011
4:10 AM

Post #8724728

70°/90°Mostly sunny. Winds light and variable.

We went to the park, sweated some, but it wasn't bad since it was cloudy. Today will be a whole 'nother story. I look out and see fog in town. Not pea soup. I can see thru it.

The Grandkids are stirring, but hopefully we wore them out enough they'll sleep a while longer :o)

Now for something completely different. We have a Peat Bog South of town. They are draining it and I'm standing on a large drainage tube. When I bounce on it, the ground around it quakes.

Thumbnail by billyporter

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2011
7:59 AM

Post #8725063

I was watch the new and death toll May tornado in Joplin, MO, 160...
All the debris cleaning up 80% now and still keep removal debris until Aug 31...

Heat keep change until Aug. 3...

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2011
2:58 AM

Post #8726781

71°/92° Sunny. Hot and humid. Winds light and variable.

Rusty, I hope they can get the debris cleared. It must be so depressing to see the messes.

I fear August is going to be hot too :o(

I need to mow. I wonder if yesterday would have been better for that.

We took the boys for a long jeep ride and ended up at Gedney Lake. There were a lot of fish jumping, but none in my pictures. The bridge we're on is closed and it's high, fenced in sides are safe for two rambunctious boys.

We all say hi :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2011
7:00 PM

Post #8728534

Still hot. Excessive heat warnings back on in full force. Bleh. Weather wasn't too bad down on the river. Got some rain showers a few times but nothing much. The sun was really hot on the river though. My friends all got burnt but I didn't. lol. We were pretty tired after canoeing for almost 5 hours and 4 miles. I've got some pics and hopefully I can get them on here tomorrow.

We also stopped in Joplin and saw some of the damage along Range Line Rd which is where Home Depot is. Got a few quick driving by pics of those.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2011
3:37 AM

Post #8729002

73°/93° Partly cloudy with scattered strong storms developing in the afternoon. Hot and humid. Heat index near 105F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph.

Pepper, awesome on no sunburn and I'm glad you had fun!

I agree with bleh. It's getting tiresome. I got nothing done outside that I needed to do, like move and divide plants. I hope Fall is better.

Can't wait for pictures!

No words needed, LOL!

Thumbnail by billyporter

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2011
10:17 AM

Post #8729689

108-110 for this entire week...no rain since Feb.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 1, 2011
11:42 AM

Post #8729822

New thread for August. Post there please.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1203844/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America