July - Hot, dry, but to the beach we go-

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

New month again. Seems like not long ago I was starting June.
June ended hot here. 97 with heat index over 100.
Nicer today. 72 @ 5:30AM.
Maybe rain or storms tonight. We can use rain.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

At 2:30 am it was 80...

Right now it 87...

Heat Index is warning until July 2...

Ground is so drought...

Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

It's only supposed to be 99 today and 67 tonight! What a break from the desperate triple digits. Still no rain....one year now. Still lots of wildfires and crazy people buying fireworks.... but I'm not working today so enjoying myself inside!

(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Bernie! Are you still doing the market?

I can't imagine trying to garden there, Prissy. The hot weather wouldn't bother me too much but no rain? We have crazy folks all over. We just had a new law passed that says they can now shoot the fireworks into the air from their home. Great! Now, we have to be even more vigilant so we don't have our neighborhood burnt down.

We had some rain a few days ago but not much. Maybe a tenth of an inch.

The Sweet William has taken over! There is a Rose of Sharon and Holly in there somewhere.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 5a)

90/98 Mostly sunny. Hot and humid. Heat index near 110F. Winds SSW at 10 to 20 mph.

Prissy Jo, yayyy on that rain dance!! 5 miles isn't too far. Maybe their damp conditions will cause more clouds,

That is a lot of fuel to produce a cloud. It is a possibility for those who are desperate.

We think it could have been an old racoon after all. The guy down the street plants a long line of corn across the road and traps them every year. We think this might have been an old smart one he caught before. I think it wanted the egg and marshmallow, but was too smart to go in. Yes, we do have skunks, and possums too.

Thanks, I hope you dance a good one, LOL!

Beautiful rose! I don't have anything like that!

Adina, we have had nightly droppings that we figured were racoons. They last one's could have been coyote, of which we do have around here. Fox too. We wanted to catch and relocate them to the timber and Wapsi creek out by my Grandma's.

How beautiful!!

Pepper, I'd be glad too, but I always want to buy plants when I find a hole or nothing is blooming, LOL!

Bernie, thanks for getting us out of June!

Rusty, that's a hot night! I hope you get some rain.

Prissy Jo, I hope no one starts anything on fire with the fire works, sheesh!

Celia, who are the idiots making these laws???

Ah, but isn't it beautiful!!

We were in the 90's yesterday with a decent breeze. I sat in the shade most of the day and popped out to do a little deadheading and other tiny unstrenous jobs. Even the mosquitos left me alone.

Today we got groceries early. I'm going back out today too and just enjoy summer. It gives me time to note what is wrong with my beds and what should I move this fall.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks PrissyJo, I saw you said, "Hope the flooding here is easing off". Actual flooding isn't right around here right now, although, it could be in a few days when the surge in the Missouri River gets here in a big way soon.
How about the Hen and Chicks Chick in this basket?

This message was edited Jul 1, 2011 5:51 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hot and humid again. Excessive heat warning ended tonight. But temps will still be in the 90s.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Hit 97 today.
Then we got a storm from the cold front. A little wind & lots of rain.
Cooler now.
Some pictures. This is back side of the storm.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Lilies are going great guns.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Remember these tunnels.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

This is just 7 weeks later. This squash was seeded when the tunnels were put down on May 11.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We've been harvesting from them for 10 days now.
Here is one patch of onions.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

A small planting near the house.
Right to left, radish, pole beans, various green beans, peas.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Beets in the front, carrots to the rear.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

9:23 PM Last of the clouds with sunset.

(Zone 5a)

76/87 Sunny to partly cloudy. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.

Will, I like the basket of Hens, LOL!

Pepper, it sure WAS hot yesterday!

Bernie, I saw yu were going to get rain. Nice passing storm!

The liles are gorgeous! How lush!

Wow, what great squash plants!

Onions, ROTFL!! I've never seen so many! And I thought Dad had a lot because he lets all his ''walking'' onions grow!

Your gardens are just beautiful!! Sunset too. Wow!

No rain for us. They can just keep pushing it back till we have 4 good days to get our driveway poured!!

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

How about these "Walking Onions" that I cut yesterday? A friend says they don't get that big at the store. Thanks billyp, I'm hoping that one Hen will fill that basket eventually. I have a shortage of Hens and Chicks. That other plant in that photo is a Tri-colored Jasmine in a Kerr canning jar.
A bit cooler today, they only say a high of 91 F today. I know that overnight working at Fedex it felt considerably better with the wind coming in.
Will

This message was edited Jul 2, 2011 9:49 AM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

It now 90...

Today: Sunny and hot, with a high near 98. Heat index values as high as 102. West wind around 6 mph.

Tonight: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 73. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
(maybe!)

Still hot and still humid. I felt no change in temps today. It probably was cooler but it was hard to tell til I got home from work and put on tank top and shorts. I'm fine now!! LOL

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

It was about 90 here today.
We spent most of it w/ Joycet and her Husband up in her Gardens.
Swapped some plants, helped w/ a bit of weeding, brought home a new Koi.

AMAZING shots Bernie!
The corn here is extremely stunted. Only about knee high at best.
In the old days 'Knee High by the 4th of July' was good.
W/ the new Hybrids and growing techniques it's usually shoulder high by now....

(Zone 7a)

Ric, my corn isn't quite that high. Maybe mid-calf. I got a late start though. LOL

(Zone 5a)

69/85 Considerable clouds this morning. Some decrease in clouds later in the day. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph.

Will, very nice onion! Jasmine. Is it more of a houseplant?

Yeah, we are finally happy to have the wind. I actually had my flannel shirt thrown over my shoulders this morning till coffee was ready. It's going to be a wonderful day!

Rusty, I hope you cool off pretty soon.

Pepper, yesterday was wonderful for us. I'm glad your weather didn't come up here. We ust got over hot and humid.

Ric, I'll bet Joycet was very grateful. What color is your new Koi?

Celia, it will taste good anyway!!

In my opinion, the earlier the corn, the better it is. I like the 60 day best.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

We were 100 yesterday.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Yesterday, hit up to 100 and right now is 84...

I pick it out of the moth coons and I look out for the wasp was nest in my good juniper that wasp flying around me and I just back off and wait for few minutes then don't bother wasp's nest in the juniper! I got all off but not all cause of wasp's nest...

I found this that I pick it off the moth coons that I look oh so tiny one bug!

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The new Koi is orange/red then roll the back w/ black.

Pushing 90 already!

(Zone 7a)

We're at 90, also. Headed for 100!

Still hot and still humid. Storms overnight and rain off and on all day.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Rain is about an hour out...... FLASH BOOM is fireworks at this point....LOL!

(Zone 5a)

68/86 Isolated thunderstorms during the morning hours, then skies turning partly cloudy during the afternoon. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Lou, too hot!!

Rusty, ditto!

Wow, you picked off a lot of coccoons! Dang wasps! They really defend their nest. I'm glad you knew it was there and didn't disturb the nest!

Geeze, everyone is hot. I feel pretty lucky to only be in the 80's.

We had a bit of off and on light rain last night. A dry rain. You can be in it, but don't really get wet, LOL!

I hope our rain dries up today so I can mow.

Happy 4th everyone!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Beautiful day yesterday. I could tell by the millions of mosquitoes everywhere.
Picked strawberries, so am having a bowl for breakfast.
Mowed the lawn & did some weeding in a flower bed.
Worked a little in the shop.
Sunny & warm this morning.

Happy 4th to you!

(Zone 5a)

Bernie, we bought a small fogger for the mosquitos. It uses Black Flag. It's working for us! It doesn't kill everything, but took out a lot of mosquitos and biting flies.

You had a nice day yesterday! Me too :o)

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

well looks like temps are hot all over the great US, here we are usually in the 90's so we headed down to siesta key breach. Just to take a stroll alone and look for sea shells. The water was warm, almost too warm, but don't know for sure as I was dressed for swimming, just strolling.

We have been blessed with afternoon thunderstorms and lots of rain this past week. Before we had gone almost a month with no rain, everything dry and dying, just terrible. It is amazing how fast everything comes back to life after some rain.

Jan

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

We had rain for almost 10 minutes yesterday. The drops never did get very close together. 101 today. Fireworks have been cancelled for many cities organizations because the entire state is under a burn ban. Curiously, the fireworks stands are still busy in the unincorporated areas. That I don't understand. If it is illegal to use them over a broad expanse, how can it be ok to buy/sell them? Ignorance is wide spread.

(Zone 7a)

I saw that Phoenix is destined for 112 today. Yikes!!!

We are at 84 and it's overcast. It's trying to rain but the water is evaporating before hitting the ground. We made 102.4 yesterday. I think I may have lost the new Black-Eyed Susan.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Oh no, Celia! I have a Black Eyed Susan which I "stole" from the field...I don't know how it happened to grow there, but I wanted it and got it!LOL
Very cold this morning, only 50F. Temps went up to 70F during the day and the sun was up.
Happy 4th of July everyone in US!

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Here you go Lou..... :-)

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
(Zone 5a)

63/88 Sunny to partly cloudy. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph.

Jan, did you find some nice shells? That would be a nice way to spend time at the beach.

It is amazing how fast it comes back, but dismaying that it can start dying so fast.

Lou, we had a light rain like that on the 3rd. You never really get wet.

You would think a burn ban extended to everyone. No one is going to die if they can't do fireworks. Just have a picnic and play with your kids or Grandkids.

Celia, you're pretty hot! (yes, I'm leaving it like that, LOL!)

That's pretty bad if you lost a BLack Eyes Susan.

Such a beautiful yellow!

Adina, ROTFL&L!! We call that rescuing!!

Oooooh, green tomatoes. MY mouth is watering!

Early, ROTFL!! They got that right!

Stay cool everyone! (Edited to add the weather :o)

This message was edited Jul 5, 2011 5:12 AM

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Love the cartoon. It was very quiet around us last night. Maybe some people got the idea. Hope everyone had a pleasant day. We had friends of over 43 years for the day and were very laid back.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Any fireworks that fly or explode are illegal in MN. So every town has the big displays. We went to St.James. Very nice display. There is a lake by the city park. They shot them off from a barge in the middle of the lake. No worry for anybody getting hurt from there.

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

There were no fireworks here, thankfully. Everybody knows how bad/dry our situation is. The sad thing is that the fish in the stock tanks and ponds are dying now. The vultures are having a feast.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images