Photo by Melody

Pacific Northwest Gardening: Mosquito repellents ?

Communities > Forums > Pacific Northwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Pacific Northwest GardeningReplies: 12, Views: 84
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

July 1, 2011
7:45 AM

Post #8665956

Heading over east where the 'skeeters are swarming. Anyone had any luck with home repellents (essential oils, listerine, etc.) I keep trying different concoctions but haven't hit on a sure winner yet. They don't come after me as bad as others, so I am fortunate there. My sister reports they are so bad they can't even sit on their back porch. She has also tried all sorts of things and I think is going to eventually resort to a screened porch (unfortunate since she looks out over the Methow). It is impossible for her to control her breeding grounds as her house sits between the river and a series of beaver ponds. Looking for things to put directly on the skin, and things to place around the porch, and things to spray in the grass. Anything really.
mauryhillfarm
Vashon, WA
(Zone 8b)

July 1, 2011
9:39 PM

Post #8667307

I had good effect with peppermint oil to repel fleas. Perhaps it would work on skeeters too.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2011
1:51 AM

Post #8675287

I'm a recent convert to the beauties of essential oils. There IS a citronella available at my local hippie-dippy joint. Might be worth a try. You could sprinkle it on your clothing. Wish I'd thought to bring some here to Montana. I don't think I could EVER live in skeeter country again. Well ... maybe the south of France would have enough upsides to compensate.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2011
4:05 PM

Post #8676783

We experimented with layers of product. I started with eucalyptus oil, then added the ever popular Skin-So-Soft. Seemed to work pretty well and I smelled nice. We also spread around some sort of garlic granule repellent which may have helped and burned citronella candles. We actually decided the best method of attack is to keep some young children around as 'bait'- they seem to have much sweeter blood than us gray-heads. Both of the young boys we had visiting went home looking like they had the pox.
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2011
10:45 AM

Post #8678303

I haven't come up with a good solution to keep them away, but my sister-in-law shared an idea with me that is effective for the after-bite. Purell hand sanitizer seems to get the bite to go away fairly quickly.
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

July 7, 2011
11:52 AM

Post #8678419

I have found that the bites of the mosquitos aren't nearly as bad as the no-see-ums. Those make a welt immediately and take days to heal. My neighbor says they actually make her feel feverish and headachey. And they are so small that they don't even come with a warning.

My solution has been Off! with Deet (doesn't take much) and to encourage bats . . .
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

July 25, 2011
7:53 PM

Post #8715367

I'm really hating the biting flies this year - would way rather put with skeeters. Those suckers pack a punch.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

July 25, 2011
10:23 PM

Post #8715626

yeah, they don't last very long tho
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

July 26, 2011
10:53 PM

Post #8717696

I have been practicing sitting in the woods and watching them land on my skin and enjoy the beauty of their injestion of blood and listening to their song as they sing to me. No need for repellents when you become Henry Thoreau. Everything is attitude.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

July 27, 2011
7:58 AM

Post #8718315

My attitude is, I hate things that suck blood.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

July 27, 2011
7:59 AM

Post #8718316

Sofer - that is a pretty heavy dose of woo-woo - hope it works for ya. I fortunately don't respond much to skeeters although they do get their fair share of blood from me. On the other hand, I get huge long-lasting blisters from any sort of spider bite. The mysteries of chemistry...
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

July 27, 2011
8:00 AM

Post #8718320

Whereas I react almost as badly to mosquitoes as I do to a beesting!
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

July 27, 2011
11:29 AM

Post #8718758

I was sitting in Hope BC an absolutely beautiful town at the exit of the Fraser Canyon. I had been driving 2 days non stop from AK and had stopped to rest here. The oxbow I sat next to along the river put me in a dream like state of wonderment. The air was steamy with speckeled sun rays filling the forest above me. Cedars around me composed the air with an essence of peace. The forest floor was filled with slugs, centipedes, beetles, ants, salamanders, and the complete palate of greens only nature can paint. Each misquito was pushing and sucking moving their proboscious deeper to fill their bellies with their music as a backdrop to the roar of the river in flood stage nearby. Quietly as I sat in peace, a coyote walked by only 20 meters away stopping to stare as he passed. This surreal time was a period of awe that I haven't seen in years. I can only thank my Creator for this moment I shall always vividly remember this moment of peace. After an unknown time I walked out of the forest dancing with a joy gifted to me as I turned on my IPod to dance in a bee filled meadow of lupines. NO I DID NOT SMOKE ANY POT! LOL

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Pacific Northwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cannas and Agapanthus in the PNW? SalemSunshine 14 Mar 1, 2011 10:08 PM
Tomatoes - when to transplant? Leehallfae 16 Oct 23, 2010 9:33 PM
Anyone want some fish? Pixydish 33 May 27, 2009 5:38 AM
Does bamboo grow in Spokane? Adriaan 24 Oct 30, 2007 5:38 AM
only one bloom on my rhododendron this year JoieM 27 Jul 11, 2007 3:51 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America