Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Oleanders: Aphids on Oleander

Communities > Forums > Oleanders
bookmark
Forum: OleandersReplies: 16, Views: 97
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
americanwoman
Redford, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2011
8:04 AM

Post #8665985

How can I get rid of these things? After overwintering my two oleander trees and finally being able to move them outside they have started new leaves and even a couple of blooms and now they are loaded with aphids. I am spraying with insecticidal soap every day and they just keep appearing on other places. I love these plants and last year there were no problems and they bloomed beautifully. Am I fighting a losing battle?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2011
4:32 PM

Post #8666862

I just blast them off with the hose on a regular basis. Regardless of method (soap or hose), you'll have to keep after them since the one you miss can become a hundred new ones almost overnight, but I've found if I keep after them for a bit I can generally get them under control. Even if you don't completely get rid of them, if you can keep the population down they won't do much harm to the plant.
americanwoman
Redford, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2011
4:48 PM

Post #8666873

Thank you! I can be pretty relentless when I need to be so that is what I will do.

This message was edited Jul 1, 2011 7:49 PM

This message was edited Jul 1, 2011 7:50 PM

Thumbnail by americanwoman
Click the image for an enlarged view.

americanwoman
Redford, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2011
4:53 PM

Post #8666880

Sorry that is a sad picture from last year put it on by mistake. They really didn't look that bad.

Thumbnail by americanwoman

LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 1, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8666902

Aphids absolutely love orleanders! My parents entire back yard has been lined with the plants and for some reason my parens do not see the millions of yellow aphids on the plants until I go over there and see them all over the plants.. I am talking about tall mature 20 year old plants! I just put a couple tablespoons of dishwashing liquid in a spray bottle of water and put the strayer on tight stream.. not the misty setting... I then spray they yellow clumps of aphids with the soapy water.. they are usually at the tips where the tender growth is. It is time consuming when you are spraying literally hundreds of tips on each plant initially and I have gotten the 2 gallon sprayer at times... (I find myself doing this almost every year) one or two spritz per tip of yellow aphids.. by the next day they are black and dead. I then just keep a bottle available and wander the yard every few days with a bottle in my hand and spritz any I find. I also do this in my own yard. After the first time consuming war, it is usually easy to keep them under control and the dish washing liquid is cheap, easy to use and does not hurt anything. I enjoy checking my plants for the little buggers. Joy really seems to work well but really just about anything works. It is the soap covering them that suffocates them.
americanwoman
Redford, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2011
3:16 AM

Post #8667423

I had some spray that I bought and it does turn them black but at the rate I am going could get expensive. I will take your suggestion and mix my own. At least I only have two 5ft. potted trees and not a whole yard. They are such great bloomers and I don't want to lose them. I will attack again this morning and won't stop. Thanks!
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2011
4:16 AM

Post #8667453

I only have 7 mature 20+ year old orleanders in my yard and they were savaged by last winter and barely have any growth to speak of this year.. I am still battling aphids on them and am spraying with my trusty dish soap to keep them alive. My parents have more like 30 plants so you can imagine how much it would have cost if we used some expensive stuff to kill them... dish washing liquid is my best friend and has been for years... it really does not take a lot either... kinda cool to have something so simple to do the trick.

Good luck.. I think you will be happy with the results.
americanwoman
Redford, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2011
4:41 PM

Post #8672327

LhasaLover yes I am really happy with the results. I have been attacking about three times a day with the dish soap mixture and have just about gotten rid of all of them! With the soap mixture I can hold the leaves in my hand and really let them have it. I am checking at least twice a day and as of this evening I didn't see one. But I will keep up checking. Fortunately these are not like 20 year old trees so I can control it. And now I am seeing buds! I want to thank you again and I hope that your plants start thriving for you. : )
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2011
12:20 PM

Post #8674029

Happy to hear you are having success.. it is so much affordable and you are free to use as much as necessary. Enjoy your plants.
MickeyAz
Cave Creek, AZ

July 13, 2011
12:06 PM

Post #8690281

American woman,
I love the color in the oleander that you posted! We just don't have much of a variety of colors here in Arizona.
MickeyAZ
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

July 13, 2011
10:09 PM

Post #8691259

Mickey, I have one close to that. One white and one pink. I got them at Lowe's. I will take photo tomorrow. And they are dwarf. (Nerium) I also have a double pink.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

July 16, 2011
8:03 PM

Post #8696723

Mickey, this is my white one. Nerium.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

July 16, 2011
8:05 PM

Post #8696725

This the pink Nerium.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon

MickeyAz
Cave Creek, AZ

July 27, 2011
1:17 AM

Post #8717854

Sharron, I like mostly doubles. They are very hard to get. I have to get out and drive arond here and get cuttings and start some more. We just had a storm and I had many rooted cuttings knocked over and we were out of town. It's always something.
After seeing my friends plumeria in California I don't think I will be getting any they just don't have enough humidity here in my opinion. Oleander are so wonderfu. I must shave some that are sterile because many don't produce seed pods.
Mickey
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 27, 2011
7:12 AM

Post #8718248

I used to lurk in the Plumeria forum from time to time and there were people from AZ growing them, so if you like them I'd give them a try. CA isn't all that humid either--more than AZ but certainly not what I'd consider a humid climate and they do fine.
MickeyAz
Cave Creek, AZ

December 13, 2011
9:36 PM

Post #8928804

ecrane3,
I have mine in post and then I have a fence of them about 600 feet . I have made a standard tree now form one of them. I just love them! I even go out and dead head them!.I love it when I can give a nice plant away to a plant lover. I even took one of mine to Texas as we were passing through the area that a oleander lover lives. Winter hit my fence very hard lost year and it will take a long time before they regroup.
I like to collect doubles but I have had a hard time finding and different colors. When visiting California I checked out several nursery's and right now oleander have fallen out of favor and couldn't find any.
It gets pretty cold were I live and it freezes normally oleanders can take it with no problem. My potted oleander are just pushed up against the house and under the eves. They do great.
Lately this year I have had a problem getting them to root. Water roots were fine but I would have problems then when I put them in soil many don't make it. I think I need to try starting them in a rooting soil or pearl lite.
I have a beautiful double yellow. There is one great nursery in Louisianan that carrieds wonderful plants that are not common, Almost Eden. I have had wonderful luck getting some of the strange plants that I have seen on my travels and fell in love with.
Kyle

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 14, 2011
7:18 AM

Post #8929095

Yes, I love Almost Eden--I got several of my oleanders from them as well as a bunch of other things.

In southern CA (which is where I'm guessing you went?) oleanders probably aren't carried much because of oleander leaf scorch http://nature.berkeley.edu/xylella/diseases/oleander.html It hasn't traveled up north yet so you can still find them around here in some nurseries, although it's mostly really common cultivars so if you want anything different mail order is definitely the way to go.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Oleanders Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Oleander Forum! melody 7 Aug 1, 2010 9:02 AM
Show us your Oleanders brical1 46 Aug 22, 2010 11:11 PM
My special treasured seedlings brical1 43 Jul 31, 2012 8:07 PM
new forum MickeyAz 0 Aug 4, 2010 10:13 AM
New Photos-Arizona MickeyAz 3 Aug 15, 2010 1:49 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America