Photo by Melody

Sewing and Quilting: A couple of place mats, runner, etc.

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 25, Views: 244
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

July 1, 2011
11:46 AM

Post #8666345

This is some of the things I made this past year. They are reversible. I did the quilting on my Phaff and, and as you can see, I still have a long way to go... The octogon shape is so darn easy and fun. You can make it just about any size you want so I tried a couple of different sizes.

Thumbnail by morknotmindy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

July 1, 2011
11:49 AM

Post #8666352

This is the same ones only reversed. I may do a bit of quilting in the center of the placemat as it tends to bubble a bit... This is the winter or Christmas side.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

July 1, 2011
11:52 AM

Post #8666357

This one is a bit bigger and is also reversible. I was using left overs just to see how it would turn out. This is winter.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

July 1, 2011
11:57 AM

Post #8666382

This is, as you can tell, Halloween. It's a bit tricky to get the borders to match up on both sides... But I'm not to picky so it works just fine. I try to use a thread color that works for both sides. These can become very addictive...

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

July 1, 2011
12:02 PM

Post #8666395

My cat Rosie liked the Halloween one so much that I had to make her a couple. My camera run out of room so I just got this one. Now that I've downloaded all the pics to the computer I can take more!! And Rosie loves her 'quilt'.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8666834

Oh I love the mittens, hats, & scarves, winter print. Must be one you had in your stash, I've not seen it anywhere.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2011
5:57 PM

Post #8666965

Those are neat Gloria. I love doing the hexagon ones too. Most of mine have been given away - wish I had taken pictures...
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2011
1:47 AM

Post #8685246

How neat that the Fiesta Ware matches all your colors.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

July 12, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8689006

I made this for Rosie but I haven't let her use it yet... I may have to make her another one.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

July 12, 2011
5:39 PM

Post #8689028

This is a Christmas one made with Laurel Burch fabric. I love Laurel Burch stuff!! So bright and cheerful. Yes, Mittsy, my Fiesta Ware goes with most everything. I love the colors. I decided to use a silly Christmas cat for this pic. It is almost as much fun taking pics as it is making this stuff... Almost. lol

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

July 12, 2011
5:44 PM

Post #8689035

This one I have let Rosie and Zena use. I could make each one of them one for everyday of the week and still not make a dent in my 'cat' fabric stash... I want to make an 'I Spy' quilt from my cat fabric stash. One of these days...

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2011
1:03 AM

Post #8689516

Very cute, love the kitty fabrics.

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 13, 2011
6:26 AM

Post #8689697

Neat mats. How are you doing the outside binding? I can see the outer edge and then a bit more central on a parallel, but are you using a fabric strip or another technique? I know that you can do borders by sewing face to face and then inverting the piece on a qyuilt, but have only done bindings even for the baby quilts and the one runner I did.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2011
9:36 AM

Post #8690057

It looks like they were pieced, then turned then stitched to do the quilting of the layers together, no binding.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

July 16, 2011
5:26 PM

Post #8696460

Yes, mittsy, you are right. It would be easy to quilt them and then put the binding on, but this way works also. You could add another color with binding. Hmmmm... I may just have to give that a try. lol

SewSassee

SewSassee
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2011
8:36 PM

Post #8724449

I love these. What I would like to know is where do I find this pattern? I would love to make some of them for my kitchen.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2011
2:35 PM

Post #8730218

I'll check on the pattern for you. My e-mail is across town from my house... I use my husbands computer for online stuff. We're separated so we live about five miles from each other. We get along soooo much better this way...

SewSassee

SewSassee
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2011
9:07 PM

Post #8731213

Thanks for checking on the pattern. I would love to know where it's from or how to get one. Just love these. Cute as can be.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2011
2:08 PM

Post #8740591

SewSassee, I found the pattern you are interested in. It's called 'Quick and Easy Table Topper & Runner' #103 designed by Genni Lehmann of Lehmann Quilting www.LehmannQuilting.com phone 651-322-7701
e-mail bleh482160@aol.com I bought the pattern at the quilt store I was working in here in Arizona. They are no longer in business... ;( That was about a year and a half ago that I bought it. It was a very popular pattern so hopefully she is still making them. I think I'll look it also. Good luck!

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2011
3:09 PM

Post #8740659

SewSassee, I just checked out her web site and it is there. Oh, my, there are a lot of things there... I didn't look around much, just to see if I could find that pattern. Didn't want to get into trouble!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 7, 2011
3:49 PM

Post #8742796

Gloria, do you have something you would like that I could trade you for some 5 inch blocks of your kitty fabrics? I'm working on an I-spy , collecting fabric for it now. I have cat fabric, and I have some cat & dog prints as well. Let me know, OK?

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2011
12:40 PM

Post #8744631

I would love to trade 5" squares of cat fabric with you!!!! I'm planing on making an I Spy quilt with them also... Great minds think alike! LOL

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 8, 2011
12:49 PM

Post #8744651

Do you want anything besides cats? Cats & dogs? Anything else? I would love to trade with you! If your fabric is GOOD fabric, you might not be interested in mine. Lots of mine was just $4 or $5 stuff from JoAnn's or Wal-mart. I just don't want you to be disappointed if you have higher quality quiling fabric.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2011
1:03 PM

Post #8744680

Hey, I have stuff from Jo-ann's and Wal-mart also... Because I've 'worked' at three different quilts shops over the years I have a LOT of fabric from them. Have also bought lots of fabric from Hancocks. If it has a cat on it I'll love it and buy it no matter where I find it... So don't worry. In other words I'm not a fabric snob. LOL I also have a few with cats and dogs so more would be just fine.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 8, 2011
5:28 PM

Post #8745341

Oh good, I'll try and cut some tonight. Do you want 5 x 5, or do you have another size in mind for yours? When possible do you want a WOF of 5"? let me know! Can't wait to get this rolling!

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2011
3:10 PM

Post #8749224

Pat, 5x5 will be fine, and 5xWOF also. Can never have to much kitty fabric. Well,... maybe... I will start cutting tomorrow. Big smile here!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America