-
AuthorContent
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 1, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8666747

Good morning everyone. Time we moved again. These old legs like a short walk to the Tea Room.
Take time to sit out in our Japanese area of the Tea Room garden. The sound of the water is very soothing.

Very windy here during the night. Still is out there, but no rain yet. Hubby says rain is forecast and i do want some for the pot plants. They dry out quickly, even in winter.
I potted all my cuttings and seeds yesterday, now I have to wait for them to grow.
Lots of daffies smiling around the garden. Jonquils too.
My salvias are still flowering. They have been going since late last year. Poor things cant decide whether they are winter or summer flowering.

Hello Dianne. Lovely protea. Hubby had a lot planted here when I came. They do not like the clay soil here and were so stunted and ugly, we dug them all out.
All other natives do very well here and I have heaps planted around. Correas and grevilleas especially, seem to love it here.

Hello Chrissy , Colleen, Moon, Pam and Karen.

Hello also to Anthony, Teresa, Louise and Charleen.

I had better move and put the sign up so everyone knows where we are.

Have a happy day and stay safe.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Click the image for an enlarged view.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 1, 2011
3:40 PM

Post #8666777

I do it every time, forget the signpost.
We came from here..
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1189511/

Jean

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 1, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8666846

Charley got a new haircut. I know his Mom had to be beautiful, he sure is. I sure do love that mule...♥

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 1, 2011
4:44 PM

Post #8666870

Whos a pretty boy then???????

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 1, 2011
4:48 PM

Post #8666872

That is his "I'm tied here and I can't get away look" Today the farrier trimmed all four little longear feet.
He's one of those "keepers" he is a good farrier for my critters.
Thank you, my friend...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 1, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8666886

Hello Charley, you lovely boy, you.. Soooooo handsome.

Help. I'm being blown away here... The darn wind has just come up even stronger.
Jean.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 1, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8666939

Hang on, Girlfriend!!!!!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 1, 2011
6:45 PM

Post #8667053

I need Charley for an anchor ...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2011
8:23 PM

Post #8667235

Ah Charley...just a fine fella. Looks real nice Charleen.

Here is a daylily for Charley's bridle

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 1, 2011
9:22 PM

Post #8667289

Lovely, moon. Wasted on Charley though. He'll just eat it.
My hellebores are all coming out now.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 1, 2011
10:01 PM

Post #8667329

Just look at those lovely pictures ...what would we do in our Winter without your lovely summer blooms ladies, and those dear long eared darlings. Thanks so much.

Loise how is your garden progressing?

Jean I use Firefox too because it is what they say works best with D'G but with this new puter every time there is an up date things change and the latest thing has been a little box next to the search (magnifying glass thingy) that says +1and it is in google colours ...I don't want to click on to it in case it does something, but from what I can figure it's a google "like" button.
Anyway enough of that ... the day is just beautiful here, how about yours now?

I think everyone is out in the sunshine :)
Catch up when they come in.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 1, 2011
10:44 PM

Post #8667353

What sunshine Chrissy ?
I wanted some rain, but got lots of wind instead. Outside , I mean, not me ... giggle giggle.
☁ ☂ ☁ ☂ ☁ ☂
Jean.
gardengal
se qld
Australia

July 1, 2011
11:34 PM

Post #8667373

chrissy100 wrote:the latest thing has been a little box next to the search (magnifying glass thingy) that says +1and it is in google colours ...I don't want to click on to it in case it does something, but from what I can figure it's a google "like" button.

According to the following page, you may have somehow opted into it Chrissy

this page wrote: http://mashable.com/2011/03/30/google-plus-one-button/
Google is making a big new push into social with a feature called “+1” that is similar in purpose to the Facebook “Like” button, but integrated directly into the world’s biggest search engine.

Starting Wednesday, users who opt into the +1 button experiment (and soon everyone else) in Google Labs will start seeing a +1 icon next to each link in Google search results.

Google defines this action as a “public stamp of approval,” and it is exactly that. When you +1 something, your name becomes associated with that link “in search, on ads, and across the web,” according to the company. It also shows up in a feed on your Google Profile, which is required to use the product.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 1, 2011
11:43 PM

Post #8667378

Chrissy, I have looked everywhere for the little box...It isn't on Google or Chrome on my computer...
Next to the magnifier on the address bar you said...I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to resist clicking on it.

I use the Brothersoft toolbar as well and that has heaps of icons on it...I've only just worked out what they are all for...very handy a lot of them.

Dianne

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 1, 2011
11:45 PM

Post #8667379

Thanks Pam...that clears it up...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 1, 2011
11:51 PM

Post #8667381

Had to have a look...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 2, 2011
4:00 AM

Post #8667440

Wow you are great detectives ladies ...I didn't do anything but allow an update and a black strip appeared up in the tool bar area, I have noticed when I try and look up You tube I seem to be directed into a google video area instead as a first choice. So I am trying to work with it.
I appreciate everyone's help ...so you say it's safe maybe I can relax now and not worry about being stalked.
Still some odd things are happening, guess it's teething problems.

Well it's been a lovely day here, sorry you needed your ☁ ☂ ☁ ☂ ☁ ☂ Jean (I like that one!!!) ...here comes that rainy day feeling again (a favourite song) ...sorry can't help myself.

I hope everyone enjoyed it no matter what the weather ...our friends over USA way are about to celebrate the 4th of July holidays over the next few days. I hope you enjoy your break ladies :)

Watching Johny Belinda right now- a very good movie
Have a great evening.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 2, 2011
9:50 AM

Post #8667960

Yep, Charley would eat it. But he would have to wait to get his picture taken with it. He would wait, but he wouldn't want too. We got them some hay this morning. no rain so no grass for the poor little fat critters...
gardengal
se qld
Australia

July 2, 2011
1:51 PM

Post #8668312

As much as I cannot live without Google (so much so that I have it set as my home page) I hate hate hate the way that it's trying to become 'everything for everyone', and the way it slows down web pages loading at times. I asked the webmaster on the forum of a commercial site why they allow Google's 'robots' in there, and basically, if they don't do so, they don't show up in the google searches.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 2, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8668419

Good morning everyone. Not a nice morning here. It looks like winter outside...I wonder why ???/ lol
Some rain during the night but not as cold as it has been.
I did nothing productive yesterday so I really must do something today. I feel very lazy when nothing gets done.

I think computers are trying to take over our lives. I stick to the basic use and keep off things like FB and twitter etc. I dont have that thingy on our computer and if it does show up, it will get the push.
There is enough of being taken over and told what to do by the"powers that be" or rather, "the powers that think they should be "
I'll just stick to my garden and a few favored sites like DG.

The magpies are madly building nests and as they are so busy, the poor dears dont have time to eat ,so it is a regular fly in eatery at the back door now. It happens every year. They are always there for food any time, but nest building and hatching babies time is extra busy . The blackbirds and others line up too.

Anthony, there is another little green shoot in one of my lilium pots. Exciting times.

Hello Colleen, Dianne, Elaine, Chrissy, Pam and Karen.
Teresa, hope all is well over your way.

Charleen, give Charley an extra cookie for being a good boy , keeping still for his photo.

Louise , hope all is well at your place too. You will be enjoying the garden while the weather is warm.

Happy 4th of July to our American friends.

I will find something appropriate for your morning tea. Here we are. , a very pretty cake.
Happy gardening everyone.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 2, 2011
3:09 PM

Post #8668428

I need to have my cuppa please so will put the kettle on. We have had some nice rain. No wind and it's quite balmy. Yesterday was about 20C with intermittant showers then last night down it came. I'm sure my newly cut back front garden will be enjoying it. Still have some to do but getting there. The boys helped in between finding bugs and riding their bikes. Still very wet out there so will have to find something else to do today by the looks. Hope everyone is well. By the way has anyone heard from katchoi. I miss her stories of the turkeys and the carpet snakes and the neighbour from hell. Must go be back later. Colleen
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 2, 2011
3:31 PM

Post #8668457

Good morning all. A bit cool but otherwise a glorious morning. We are off and away today, maybe Mt. Tambourine. The old car would never have made it up the mountain, so haven't been there for a long time.

Colleen, I saw a message from Kat in another forum. I think she mentioned computer problems, if I remember correctly. Hope she can get back online again soon. I've missed her too.

Karen

Spotted this Pacific Baza (Crested Hawk) out the front yesterday. They've been living in the area for years, but this is the first decent photo I've got of one. They can really send the birds into a spin when on the hunt. Check out his eye. A real hunter.

This message was edited Jul 2, 2011 3:32 PM

Thumbnail by DawnSong

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 2, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8668470

Good morning everyone...
Very windy this morning...spotting rain too...
I can hear you on the path Jean, you will probably beat me to the door...There goes Colleen, while I'm bringing up the rear...

After the excitement of my two teams playing a thriller last night, I couldn't sleep, so I watched a very old movie...The Plainsman...Gary Cooper and Jean Arthur...I had forgotten that he died in the end...
I wouldn't have bothered...
The rain seems to be getting heavier, so it might be an indoors day.

Anthony, Have you had to build a larger Vortex, for all these new Liliums?...your garden looked packed last year!!!!

Marlene, hope that you have a successful Plant Expo...
The phone rang so 30 mins later, I'm back to finish this post...
Yes Colleen, where is Kat and the neighbour and the turkeys...I can't remember when she last posted.
Off to finish the washing..and get a cuppa...
Have a good day..
Dianne.

Great photo Karen...have a lovely day...

This message was edited Jul 3, 2011 9:43 AM

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

July 2, 2011
4:08 PM

Post #8668520

Just popped in to say "Good Morning"
I am so tired from being up late watching the tennis.

Dianne...what do you think of the "Cats" loss?
I guess all of the Geelong area is very down this morning.
It was a great game to watch.

Chrissy...I use Firefox too.

Have a great day and take care.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 2, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8668617

Marlene, I don't consider that a loss, just a reality check...it will do them good...they need some goal kicking practice anyway...
Ray, was at the paper shop this morning and there was a similar consensus...no panic.
They will still be contenders on the day...
Dianne
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 2, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8668631

,.I p urchased another 20 starfighter,this a.m,.[flowerdale bulbs] very good quality.i brought and stacked a ton of wood yesterday,'so now i can cover the access area to the wood,with pots''-and as the wood recedes[taking from the other end of the stack]i can fill that area with pots too!!!!''you always gotta have a plan''.-i will have to clear a few daffodil bulbs this year[boxed ones]-and summer will clear about 200 lily pots...Dianne,-Carlton!!!!!!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 2, 2011
9:15 PM

Post #8668972

Anthony, you sound like me. Just move this or that a little and put that there, then theres a space. Funny thing , spaces dont stay spaces for long. Always something to put there.
Here are my Christmas Lilies in their pot today. They are growing well and I may move them around to the front near all the liliums so they can see what to do.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 3, 2011
4:54 AM

Post #8669187

Colleen I saw you asking for some directions over in BGI can I help to guide you around? any questions I can help you with? I know it's a bit confusing when we are used to this place but you can navigate it with a bit of help.

Gee I can see everyone has been out and about today ...so I am leaving the urn on for supper.
I thought to leave an Apple pie out for any stragglers and what more appropriate than this :)
Enjoy everyone !

Thumbnail by chrissy100

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 3, 2011
5:10 AM

Post #8669202

Chrissy, thank you. I can find my way around the galleries, they're beautiful to look at, but some times I can't find the forums where I put up that piece today. Sometimes I just want to say gidday so when I can't find it I just go back out. I can't put any pics up as my puter is at the docs again and I'm using the boys again. All my good pics are on mine. You also said something awhile ago about Wayne's new ones being recognised and maybe he could [register] them, I think that's what was said. Well I couldn't find those either. Any help would be most welcome. Thank you. Colleen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 3, 2011
6:18 AM

Post #8669303

I think Charley likes having his picture taken. He knows he does have horse cookie rewards. Had to tie him for his wormer, it must taste terrible he sure doesn't like it. but he did get a couple cookies for a reward. Poor darlin.
Love that crested hawk. Beautiful...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 3, 2011
6:39 AM

Post #8669336

Colleen Talk you through it tomorrow arvo ...I must get to bed now as I have to be up before 5 (nurse tomorrow) after lunch I will talk you through it ...any one else having problems just ask.
Nighty night :)
Night Charleen, lots of celebrating for you tomorrow (it's the 4th here anyways) Happy 4th of July did you have a piece of the pie? take some for Charley too.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 3, 2011
11:59 AM

Post #8669894

Thanks to you all for July 4th wishes. Most folks here just see it as a day for big sales and barbeques. they often forget the price that goes with so many freedoms. Yup...I am a military raised kid...GRIN

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 3, 2011
12:37 PM

Post #8669939

Charley and I want to Thank you for all the Fourth of July well wishes. Charley had his cookies so he is a happy boy. Hugs and sweet mule nuzzles to all...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 3, 2011
3:19 PM

Post #8670179

Good morning everyone. A very windy night after a milder day yesterday. The sun was out for most of the day but the wind was cold.
Looks like more rain. The rivers and creeks are all starting to overflow again. No great danger of flood damage around here though. They usually just affect the paddocks. One thing about all the rain is that the farmers have lots of grass for their stock. Little lambs everywhere.

I saw yesterday, that we still have one of our magpies using small bits of wire to build her nest. Our old Mama bird used to beg from hubby all the time for the wire. Thin plastic coated copper wire that hubby uses miles of in his radio work.
The one here now must be one of Mamas offspring.
I put out lots of coconut fibre which they love. Its funny to see them tugging on the sheeps wool caught on fences too.

I am pleased with the way my garden is looking now. Lots of green and lots of buds. It is going to be a beautiful spring so I will have to get out and take lots of pics for a garden tour again in Spring.

Hello Charleen and Moon, also Louise , if you are around. I was a day early for your 4th of July. Never mind , have a happy day . Charley can have all the cookies he likes. He is such a good boy to stand still for his photos.

Hello Chrissy. I am learning my way around over there on the other site but it can get confusing around the forums.
I'll look for your advice to Colleen when I am in there.

Hello Colleen, hope you are getting a bit of sun and not the wind there.
How is your brom house going ? Mine are very happy in their greenhouse. They seem to have grown a lot and I have quite a few pups .

Hello Elaine, hope all is well with you.
Hello Pam and Karen. A bit of warm weather should help your aches etc.
Teresa, I do hope you are keeping warm there . How did the new heating go ?
Hello Anthony. Are you worn out planting bulbs yet ? It is going to look absolutely beautiful at your place when they all flower.

Not much is going to be done outside today so I will sit in the lounge and read.
Better see what I have for nibbles to put out for you all.
Boston Cream Pie, very American for our friends over there.

Happy gardening.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 3, 2011
6:24 PM

Post #8670520

Good morning, and Happy 4th July to our US friends. I should ask, how do you celebrate it?

Lovely and sunny here this morning. But not much happening. I love my new chicken-with-attitude. I guess he'll end up in someone's Christmas stocking this year.

Anyone here celebrate Christmas in July? Is there a specific date for it?

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 3, 2011
7:44 PM

Post #8670645

Good morning everyone. Jean did you send this wind here? I don't like wind. The sun is shining but it's quite nippy out there. The broms are doing beautifully thanks Jean. There's only a few brugs left in the actual SH and the rest are along the wall. They will be either getting planted in the ground or into bigger pots and put around the garden. The Sanguineas will stay in there though unless I find a perfect place for them out in the garden which with our heat here I don't think there is. Karen, my sister is in a craft group that celebrate Christmas in July. They are at Logan Village if you'd like to look them up. They also have a Lady's Day and they all dress up in their finery and have Devonshire teas with little sandwiches and cakes. It's called The Logan Village Community Craft Cottage in Wharf Street. They're open most day til 2pm and occasionally on Sundays. I love your rooster. Bit more pruning going on out there. nearly finished. Then I have to start on the back garden. Oh boy, talk about Neverending Story. The boys were really good on the weekend so I took them down to the skate park for a couple of hours yesterday. They had the time of their little lives. I just closed my eyes and told them to be careful. Not many flowers in my garden at the moment but come Spring it should look a picture, I hope. Must go, be back later. Colleen

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 4, 2011
8:27 AM

Post #8671483

Hi Karen. Pretty much a matter of Sun, Fun, Food and Fireworks...a lot of places have parades to honor veterans and soldiers and there are lots of concerts with patriotic music and poetry followed by fireworks displays. At Monticello, the home of Thomas Jefferson, one of our founding fathers, there is a huge celebration welcoming new citizens to the USA.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43630748/ns/us_news-life/
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 4, 2011
2:54 PM

Post #8672114

Colleen and Moon, thank you both. That Logan Village group sound great. I will look them up when I get well enough to do things like that again. I am even thinking of doing something myself next year for friends. Just didn't know what date. I would love the dress up tea party, or even a picnic in the park. All our kids are grown ups now, so we could just have a ladies day. I am sure by next July I will be up to it.

It was supposed to be very cold this morning, but is actually a bit warmer here. About 11c. Hope you all have a warm, sunny day ahead.

Karen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 4, 2011
3:10 PM

Post #8672134

Good morning everyone. Its certainly decided to be winter here at the moment. More rain, which I like, but the cold wind comes with it.
Colleen, I can send you more wind if you like.
The garden is looking really green and I am hoping for lots of sun during spring to bring all the flowers out.
Nothing was done outside yesterday . I spent time cleaning up my genealogy files. Amazing how much stuff accumulates over time.
Hello to Karen, Pam and Elaine. Hope you are all feeling a bit better now..
Hello Dianne and Colleen. You should be seeing lots of buds in your gardens now.
Anthony, I was nearly tempted to buy another asiatic, but stopped myself. It was pretty though. Maybe , I have another look lol
Charleen , Moon and Louise , I hope you all enjoyed your Independence Day. Halfway through your summer now, Autumn will be creeping in, in no time.
I was watching a film of the American Fall. So beautiful. I am always envious of the fantastic color you get over huge areas.
Our plain green may suit the climate, but lacks the impact of broad sweeps of reds and golds.
Yes, I know, we do get color from the native flowers, but they are very fleeting , having a short bloom season .
I am going to be lazy again today by the look of things outside. Its very dark and wet.
I am waiting on seeds to arrive so I can get out in the greenhouse planting them. Better go and finish my cuppa.
Heres something nice to have with your cuppa. Orange Chiffon Cake.
Happy gardening.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 4, 2011
3:56 PM

Post #8672236

Same here, Jean...very windy and cold...
I've been watching the William and Kate tour of Canada...enjoying it too...She certainly wears her clothes well, but I wouldn't like to see her any thinner...If she was here today she would blow away.

I wish that I could get motivated to work on my family tree, Jean...maybe today..

Spent yesterday in Geelong hospital waiting rooms, my husband has to have a knee replacement...
He has put it off long enough...he is starting to creak.
We were there about 4hrs, with Xrays and so on... I needed something to read...the hospital has a lot of secondhand books that they sell for a dollar...you never know what will be there.

I found a hardback copy of a book that I have read many times and still love, Georgette Heyer's
Reluctant Widow...The thing about this book was it's age..it had an inscription and a date of 1946...that makes it one year younger than me and in a lot better condition...not a mark and the pages were still white...all of my GH paperbacks, (I have all of her Regency books) have long since yellowed.
So I might just settle down and finish it today...
Keep warm everyone.

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 4, 2011
7:51 PM

Post #8672735

buy it Jean!!!!!!!!-cold wet and miserable here-
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 4, 2011
8:05 PM

Post #8672757

Anthony, you are teaching me bad habits.. I did, I did, buy another lilium or two or three..
Orange Art, Nellys Pride and some L. auratum seeds.
Help, I think I'm caught in Anthonys lilium vortex.
Jean.

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 4, 2011
8:35 PM

Post #8672799

did you buy the 'golden ray''?-auratum plattyphyllum,..,its very nice,and a massive flower,.,.my seeds arrived today,from the same seller

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 4, 2011
8:37 PM

Post #8672802

Actually Jean, our summer just started...our seasons are set on the solstices...Summer is June 21st. i know your season's are started on the 1st of the month...winter, June 1st. The first day of Fall isn't until September 23rd and Winter starts December 22nd.

Hope you are all having a good week.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 4, 2011
8:43 PM

Post #8672812

Jean,take a look at the 'lilies' thread on 'cubits'-'flowering in july',.,.,.that will feed your hunger
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 4, 2011
11:41 PM

Post #8672948

yes, Anthony, I did buy the auratum seeds. I am going to resist looking at the thread you mentioned. ha ha. As if I could.
Dont look on eBay now as there are only really really "ugly" lilies . They are so "ugly" I just may but one. lol

Moon , you seasons sound more sensible than ours. Who tells the weather when its the first of the month so it has to be spring / summer etc.
At the moment it is wet and windy winter regardless of the date.
I am not a person who like lots of cold or heat. I am a temperate climate person. A bit like my plants.
Jean.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 5, 2011
12:31 AM

Post #8672977

I am feeling sniffly & have sore eyes.
Seem to be developing a cold.
It was -3C this morning!
I hate getting out of bed in temperatures like that.
The dog's bowl out on the deck was frozen over.

Was busy tidying up at work, things were still mixed up from Saturday night but as I said to the other barmaid when she came in - I expect that after we have 200 people in.
After work I saw a physio & then went for my massage, really needed it, my back is causing me a bit of grief.
Can't think what set it off - perhaps lifting 50 litre kegs on a regular basis?
All up they weigh about 65kg... which is a couple more kilos than me.

Anyway dinner on Saturday night was lovely, I worked to 5.40pm then raced off to get changed.
I love the reaction I get when people see me all glammed up. My Mum didn't recognise me - I served her in my uniform earlier & then she did a double take when she realised it was me talking to her.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

July 5, 2011
12:53 AM

Post #8672998

Good evening everyone!

That must be a film star in the pic above...so beautiful!

I will be doing some gardening tomorrow.
Weather has been cold at night but the days are not too bad.

Keep warm everyone.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 5, 2011
12:53 AM

Post #8672999

Awful winds here ...power been out three times.

Coming back later when I catch up with things.
Stay warm everyone, look after yourself Teresa.
waving to everyone.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 5, 2011
1:09 AM

Post #8673004

we will have snow here tonight!-it is so b# cold

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2011
9:51 AM

Post #8673697

I do feel for you all...I will gladly take the heat over the cold, but like Jean would much prefer a nice balmy climate.

Ya know ya glam up well when your Mum doesn't recognize ya...grin and I must say...ya clean up really nice. Sorry your back is bothering you...hope it and the cold pass quickly.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 5, 2011
3:07 PM

Post #8674355

Nice pic, Teresa. Take care of you back. Once they go, its not easy to get them good again. Wish I could get a massage.

Hello everyone. It is supposed to be freezing again, but is still around 10c. Its mainly the wind that is uncomfortable. Good excuse for those yummy hot pot meals though. Tried Tuscan meatballs the other night. They were totally delicious.

Karen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 5, 2011
3:13 PM

Post #8674370

Good morning ☼ ☀ ☁ ☂ ☃ ☼ ☀ ☁ ☂ ☃ ☼ ☀ ☁ ☂ ☃ everyone...
A little bit of weather for all. I see on the news that there has been wild weather all over the place. I hope everyone is safe . Luckily , here, we have had none of the really bad wind so far. Lots of cloud and showers.
I did nothing yesterday, but sit at the computer going through all the old info I have collected over the last few years re. genealogy.
I have added what is relevant and now have a great pile of paper to shred. I'll give it to hubby, he likes playing with the shredder.
Anthony, you keep warm down there. cocky will be needing an overcoat too.
Teresa, I hope you are not in the middle of anything shaky still. Who is that stunning woman in the middle of your photo ??? lol
I wish I scrubbed up that well.
It seems the earthquake wanted to visit over here too with a quake in Vic. . I never felt a thing way over here in the west though.
Pam, Karen , Chrissy and all our friends further north, I hope you are well out of harms way with all that wild weather.
Dianne, how are things down on the sea ? You had better watch out for that rise in the ocean level . lol
Colleen, did you get any wild wind at all ?
Charleen Moon and Louise, we could send you a bit of wind and rain in exchange for some sun.
Hugs for the girls and Charley.
I am going to have another cuppa now to warm my fingers.
I may look at more plant sites too, just to see whats out there.
Keep warm and dry where ever you are.
Heres something nice to sit in the warm and enjoy.. Chocolate Pound Cake.
Happy day. Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 5, 2011
3:28 PM

Post #8674416

Morning, it's blowing a gale and cold...
It's nice to have everything up to date with your genealogy files, Jean...don't you end up with a lot of notes..
I think that my Liliums are too cold to come up...I know that they are there, but they ain't comin' out.
My roses need pruning, but they can wait..

Thank goodness for Camellias and Jonquils...the stocks are almost out too.
Even the Laxa seeds are just hanging there..
We have to take our daughter's couch to the Salvos this morning, so better move...
Back later.
Dianne.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 5, 2011
3:32 PM

Post #8674422

Good morning everyone. Grey and overcast here this morning. No wind at the moment though. No thanks Jean you needn't bother sending any this way. The leaves on some of the brugs are looking worse for wear. Nothing done outside yesterday. It was so cold I just pottered around in here. I have to try to get some washing done today, nothing very exciting going on. Lots of bulb everywhere. Half of them I just poked here and there. I hope there are some nice surprises to come. Karen hope you're feeling better today. Teresa lovely pic. Jean I do believe that you have gone into Anthony's vortex. lol I was googling around yesterday and finished up following a brom into E-bay. Wildwood flora. Oh boy has she got some seeds and plants. Take a look. Just as well that money's tight other wise I would have lots of seeds that I don't need and probably wouldn't grow very well here anyway. Nice to look though.Everyone have a great day and I'll pop back for a cuppa after I get the boys to school. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 5, 2011
3:43 PM

Post #8674448

it's still right now Jean the wind has paused for the moment but more to come, did you feel the quake yesterday down your way?
I guess you didn't you haven't mentioned it so I guess you didn't.

Dianne did you? it wasn't a huge one but enough to rock some people

I hope everyone can get some garden time this morning.

Oh poor you Anthony snow?

So I am off to do some gardening before the wind comes back (yes it's coming back) lots of damage out this way mostly trees down.

I guess you are all recovering from your 4th of July celebrations, Charleen, Loise and Moon :-)

Take care everyone

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2011
4:29 PM

Post #8674497

This will cheer you a little. Abigail and a cactus dahlia...

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 5, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8674726

Lovely Charleen, but is she admiring it or deciding to eat it ? lol
Jean

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 5, 2011
7:56 PM

Post #8674956

No Chrissy, we didn't feel anything, it was on the other side of Melbourne...

Funny that Jean should mention the sea rising, whenever there is a King tide on the Bellarine, one of the local suburbs loses all the beach and their front fences become the shore line..I wouldn't live there for quids...It has to come up a hill to wash us away..

Abigail is such a good name for a hen, Charleen.
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 6, 2011
3:40 AM

Post #8675334

thanks for all the nice comments, I loved playing dress ups as a child & I guess I never grew out of it...
normally I am either in my work uniform of black shirt, black trou...
or in my dog training gear, which at best is jeans & t'shirt but more often the grottiest trackie daks & scruffy old jerseys.
hope the weather is being kinder to you all - we have had a mild one today & the sunshine was lovely & warm, got up to 9C ;)
my roses need pruning - we have had our two hard frosts to put them to sleep.
Hopefully I will get a chance soon, not to mention some weeding & general tidying up while growth has slowed down.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 6, 2011
3:02 PM

Post #8676670

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ .:。✿*゚’゚ .:。✿*゚’゚ Good morning everyone. .:。✿*゚’゚ .:。✿*゚’゚ ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Putting on a happy face this morning. Its freezing cold and squishy outside, but I am determined to smile .
I will not complain, as we are far better off than some with their wild weather.
Shopping day today and it is quiet so far outside. Hubby says the forecast was for thunder , lightning and all the other accompaniments .
I will say a quick hello to all. Hope you are doing okay and I'll leave you something yummy in the kitchen.
I'm sure Colleen or Dianne will put the kettle on as they are usually up early.
Keep warm and safe. Try a slice of this Blueberry Coffee Cake
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 6, 2011
3:09 PM

Post #8676687

Good morning all. Did you see that dust storm in the US on TV? How could anyone breathe in that? Must have been terrifying.

We didn't get the real bad wind they got in NSW. And yesterday it died down a lot. Just enough to make me feel colder but not any worse now than we usually get in July/August.

I don't understand why all the weeds are thriving here. I'm not watering them, and there is such little sun, you'd think they'd freeze and die back, but no, they are raging. Also, the crested hawks are getting troublesome again. They must have a young one, I think, as they are attacking anything that moves. Even had a go at my caged birds on the weekend, but when I put them out, I keep them well protected from overhead attack. I was surprised they tried though.

A trip out today. My glasses are here at last, so visually at least, life should be easier now. I think I am straining my eyes on the computer with the old ones, so they've come at the right time.

Happy gardening everyone.

Karen
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 6, 2011
3:16 PM

Post #8676697

Okay the kettle's on Jean. Sure you don't want a quick cuppa before you go to save all those orphans. Cold and overcast here too. Still a little wind but not too bad at the moment. Not good gardening weather is it? Got the washing done yesterday but before I could get it back in it rained. They've had a good rinse anyway. I saw a heap of those stinky plants, somethingphallus?, yesterday. They weren't a bad price. I think it was in the bulb section of E-bay. Can you imagine the smell if they all flowered at once. phew. They are beautiful though. Must go and get the boys ready. Only another day before the holidays. I've stocked up on some packet cakes for them to make so that should keep them happy. I'm thinking about going to John's for a few days but haven't made up my mind completely yet. I have to get someone to look after the animals and get the bus downand it's a bit of a pain and not straight-forward. We'll see. Back later. Colleen

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2011
3:43 PM

Post #8676746

Amorphaphallus...voodoo lily...dracunculus...Beautiful but smelly indeed. Have a lovely day...hope the winds die down.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2011
5:08 PM

Post #8676853

Made a cat you all, Tortiseshell (I hope) It's a present...

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 6, 2011
11:30 PM

Post #8677478

I'm back !!!'No orphans at all on the table so I indulged myself and bought a white Daphne. I love them and have the pink.
The day turned out a lot better than I thought it would weatherwise. some sun and a few showers which were kind enough to only happen when we were in a shop.
I really indulged today because for afters at lunch with my cuppa, I had a piece of Mud Cake. This was a very . very nice one. It had the chocolate icing , which was also in the middle, plus thick curled chocolate pieces on the top.
Yummmm.
The weather has turned colder since we came home with more rain, so I am comfortable in near the heater.

Love the pussycat, Charleen.

You are right Moon They are Dracunculus. I have one which is beautiful and the smell is not noticable unless you really get close.
There are quite a few different types. I have 2 other sorts which so far have only had leaves. I think they have to get to certain size to flower.

Karen, you must have the same sort of weeds as I do. Mine never get fed or watered either. If only our plants grew as easily and as well.

going back to my cuppa and the heater.

Keep warm
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 7, 2011
2:27 AM

Post #8677586

Glad that you got your white Daphne, Jean.

I spent the day on the family tree and now I can't see too well..
I WAS DETERMINED...I don't think that half my relatives were married at least not the Irish half.
My relatives would rather have had a bet, than waste money on a licence...my great uncle ran the Bingo in Footscray when I was very small..It was called Housey Housey then...I can remember the big tent near the railway station, very impressive when you are 5...

I thought that I had a convict for a short time, but that proved incorrect...still can't find the original Kings and McGlynns...oh well, I've only been looking for about 8 yrs...

Night all.
Dianne.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 7, 2011
2:19 PM

Post #8678720

Good morning everyone. Just sneaking in to put the kettle on Jean. Promise I won't make too much noise. Only half a day at school for the boys today so have a bit to do before they get back home. It's easier for me to go by myself and do the shopping. They are eating me out of house and home at the moment. The little one, Cameren, is as tall as Branden at the moment. They grow so fast don't they? Still picking up cuttings and tidying up out the front. The wind has been so bitter that I haven't got much done this week. Hopefully the boys will give me a hand to finish. My brother tried to do our family tree on my mother's side once. He got as far as our grandmother and couldn't find out anything else. Grandmother had changed her name slightly and her date of birth by 2 years so that she could get married so when she died she wasn't as old as we'd always thought/ I think we thought that she was 93 and she was ONLY 91, There didn't seem to be any parents in Australia but she was supposed to have been born in Victoria near Bendigo. Oh what a tangled web some people weave. Well, I hope everyone is feeling bright and sparklely this fine morning. I'll be back later. Colleen
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 7, 2011
2:50 PM

Post #8678784

I've tried to start a family tree search but I'm not good at finding things on the web. And Colleen, what was it about our forebears with so many secrets? I've managed to find a very few old photos but there is not a male among them. Not much information anywhere either. Names were spelled loosely, and I have found my grand mother's name on my father's side spelled 2 different ways. Saints to sinners in our family, literally. It's fun trying to find things out.

Karen
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 7, 2011
3:18 PM

Post #8678823

Karen they sure make it hard don't they. I was only looking at my birth certificate yesterday and it says that my Dad was born at Port Pirie. Now I know for sure that this isn't true. Why would people do that. Maybe after having her 5th child [me] Mum couldn't care less or something. I don't know who filled the registration papers out for me so it could have been Dad himself. Our lives are just wrought with deception aren't they. Very secretive ancestors. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 7, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8678835

Good morning everyone. Freezing cold here this morning. The garden is saying Spring is nearly here though. So are the birds with all the nest building.

I have been doing my family tree for about 8 years and so far have around 3000 names. Some close, some more distant. Among them are about 8 convicts, so far.
Dianne, my dads side were Irish and Isle of Man.
Irish records are notoriously hard to find as there was a fire somewhere back when and lots of records were lost.
Lots of things were never recorded too. There was hardly anyone who could read or write so the name spelling is a big jigsaw puzzle.
I have one family who have about 4 different ways to spell their surname even in the same family group.
There was little imagination with christian names either.
How many John Smiths can one have in a family ? So far, I have around 10. Try looking them up ????
I find it fun , but frustrating at times because most sites only go back to the 1800s. , but you never know what you will find. .

Thanks for putting the kettle on Colleen. Enjoy your gardening with the boys
You can come and pick up all the twigs and small branches here too if you like.
We didnt have the really strong winds but there are a couple of gum trees that just like to drop small branches anytime.

Anthony, my bulbs from eBay arrived. Nice large ones too. I am still looking at a very pretty red & black one. Will I, wont I ???

Karen, I hope you are feeling better.
Hello Elaine, Pam, Chrissy and Teresa.
Charleen, you are very clever with your animals.
Louise , have you lost us again ? hugs to the girls.

Better move as I have my new Daphne to pot up and some seeds to plant in the greenhouse.
At least it is out of the cold wind in there.
Have some of these delicious Hot Scones. Just right for a winters day.
Keep safe and warm.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 7, 2011
3:41 PM

Post #8678866

Hey Jean, you forgot to put out the jam and CREAM. lol Can't you hear him? Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 7, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8678952

Morning all.
Even though you can get heaps of info online, there is nothing like going thru the actual records.
So many times I have found incorrect transcriptions and of course all those little white lies...

Like my English grandmother, who on her wedding certificate took 10 yrs off her age...no one realised
how old she was until we read her birth certificate...I bet my grandfather never knew...though he was a fibber too, he always claimed that he was a "Yorkshire man"...He really lived all of his younger years in
the south Staffordshire, then London... to use Colleen's words...very secretive...

Back to it later today..

Have a good day, all...Jean keep off Ebay...lol

I can, Colleen.

This message was edited Jul 8, 2011 10:22 AM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 7, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8679014

Ooops, sorry Brian. I wondered what the distant noise was. Just Brian wailing lol. I will put the jam & cream out now.

Dianne, when I started the genealogy, I was buying certificates but it got way too expensive. It is even dearer now that when I started.
Amazingly , one can access the NSW archives which contain a lot of Vic records, free.
Vic govt charge and arm & a leg.
Qld, has some good free records too.

I cant see why one has to pay to even look at records that are of long dead people.
A lot of the internet sites are free but a lot are not. I have found that you really have to delve into mazes of links to find things.

One of my gt gt grandfathers was transported for 7 yrs at age 16 , for stealing a pair of boots from his master.
He was still getting into trouble after he did his time and received an further 7 yrs while living in Vic.
Luckily he improved and went on to have his own boot makers shop in Melb.
His father in law was also a convict who later went on to have the first brick making place in Melb.

Not a nice day here , so I will do a bit more researching until my eyes say stop.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 7, 2011
8:58 PM

Post #8679513

Sorry still having issues with power after the winds ...comes and goes there must be trouble with branches on the lines.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 8, 2011
2:41 AM

Post #8679693

Ok lets give it a try ...no I don't do family trees ...I chased down some relatives who do it and got a lot of info from them.
I don't need another obsession right now. One is enough and then perhaps some Face Planter projects in the Spring to line the walls of my special garden of Angels.

Well the days are stunning once the wind drops but it's coming back. Lots of Frost and wind frizzle out there ...it's Winter after all.
My hair is standing practically on end with the electricity in the air whipped up by the wind, I do not like the winds.
I hope everyone enjoys their scones, I left my share for you know who ...
cheers Brian we miss you and Leisa.
Times flees before us ... :-)
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 8, 2011
2:42 AM

Post #8679694

not much chop of a night!!!-pouring-windblown rain,..,curl up in front of the fire with a 4xxxx ,watchin footy,..,sounds good

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 8, 2011
2:44 AM

Post #8679696

Good on you Anthony ...enjoy!
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 8, 2011
2:48 AM

Post #8679698

I wish that I had an open fire. sigh. Those were the days to sit in front of the fire and gently tap the burning log and all the little school-boys would fly up the chimney. Chrissy glad that the power stayed on long enough for you to have a chat. Gee!!!!! that cream went quickly didn't it? Colleen
gardengal
se qld
Australia

July 8, 2011
1:52 PM

Post #8680631

My daughter is currently doing her family tree and having all the fun that you ladies are, people who don't exist with the dates of birth that they claimed to have, differently spelled surnames etc etc I guess if it was meant to be easy it wouldn't be half the fun. lol

Anyone who ever tries to do a search on my immediate family (family of origin, I think is the correct term) is going to end up with a headache trying to sort it all out - there are a couple of name-changes in there, one who has never voted (no, not me) and my sister discovered a few years ago that her surname was never put on her birth certificate. lol At that point she decided she would use the name that actually is on her birth certificate as her full name.

Cool mornings here at the moment, but the days are warming up nicely into the early 20s. Half of the garden seems to think it's Spring, so is sending out shoots and flowers way too early, which I'm fairly sure are likely to get frosted. We don't get too many frosts here, and certainly not the doozies that we used to get down south, but there are plants that turn up that have clearly been frost affected from time to time. There was a wood fire here when we came and because the loungeroom is so small we decided to wait until we'd been through a Winter, with the idea of probably removing it to make more space. We're sure glad we didn't because we certainly need it at times. I think we probably only lit it half a dozen times last Winter but it has certainly been getting a work out this time around.

The vegie garden has been sitting idle for a while and it's well and truly time to get it back into operation, so that's our plan for the weekend. The parsley and rocket that just keep on keeping on have thrown our crop rotation plans out of whack, so some hard decisions are going to have to be made. Along with the asparagus, they're taking up 3 of our 5 planting spaces, leaving only 2 sections, one of which had potatoes last season, so can't have those or tomatoes this time around. Does anyone know if tomatoes and potatoes can successfully be grown together?

Pam
gardengal
se qld
Australia

July 8, 2011
2:10 PM

Post #8680670

Just came accross this, so will have to make room for it too. lol
http://rawfoodrehab.ning.com/group/thegarden/forum/topics/how-to-regrow-store-bought
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 8, 2011
2:34 PM

Post #8680719

Good morning Pam. No you don't grow poatoes and tomatoes together because it promotes potato blight. Usually you would plant them at a different time anyway. Potatoes are Autumn, Winter and tomatoes are Spring, Summer. Down here anyway. Colleen
gardengal
se qld
Australia

July 8, 2011
3:04 PM

Post #8680782

Now is the best time of the year for tomatoes in these parts Colleen, no fruit fly. Thanks for the feedback re growing together.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 8, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8680822

Good morning everyone. . No rain so far this morning. Yesterday was showery between sunny periods. The cold wind spoils it though.
I did get out into the greenhouse and pot up a few cuttings and seeds.
Pam ,your vegie garden sounds good. I have always had lots of vegetables growing over the years, but here, its just not worth the effort. The weather changes so much. most things run to seed before you get to eat them. Aside from that, there are the sluggies and various other nasties that eat everything before it has a chance to ripen.
They seem to prefer vegetables more than all my other plants.
That is interesting to see the celery grown from a base . I always used to plant any sprouting onions for a crop of spring onions.

Anthony. I love open fires too, but I am way past all the getting of wood and cleaning up. Wood is so hard to find here and so expensive when you do find someone with any. All the rules about getting wood have put everyone off . Looking at our roadsides now , you can see the fire hazards just left there because the greenies dont like you touching any "habitat"

A question, Anthony. I am not sure if my lilium pots are big enough. What is a good size pot ? I am using ones about 8"-9" across. I was wondering if they like to be a bit snug in the pots or not.

Hello Chrissy, my brugs are looking great at the moment. I am hoping for no frosts.

Hello Colleen , Yes, the cream for the scones disappeared very quickly. I knew Brian was watching . I found a couple of wine glasses in the kitchen. I wonder if Leisa came to see what was going on and they had a few sips .

Dianne, how are things down your way ? I dont know why I say down. It seems we all orient ourselves somehow according to where we live and our perception of where the rest of the world is.
I often wonder who decides what is up and what is down on the Earth when we are just hanging around in space.
Depending on where you are out there looking at the Earth, we may be the northern hemisphere.
I think of Melb as being down from here and Colleen & Teresa are off to one side.

We are odd arent we ? Hubby says I am anyway.

Hello Dianne, Elaine and everyone else popping in .

Charleen and Louise. I hope you are enjoying some beautiful weather. Hugs for Charley and the girls.

Better go and get another cuppa, my fingers need warming.

Have a lovely weekend and enjoy this Caramel Cake.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

gardengal
se qld
Australia

July 8, 2011
4:47 PM

Post #8680959

77sunset wrote:

We are odd arent we ?

Jean, you should tell your hubby you're not odd, you're unique!

We don't have much trouble at all with slugs and snails here - the lizards seem to do a good job of taking care of them. In nearly 5 years I think I've only ever found one live snail - the occasional empty shell, but not too often. The water snails in the dam that demolish water lilies is a totally different thing.

Pam

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 8, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8681009

jean,1 asiatic bulb in a 7" pot is fine,.good drainage,[dont let it sink into existing soil] .I use 10-12-15" pots for ''my own'' aureliens/orientals/orienpets/trumpets as they need a good 'root run',.,.what i call, my'breeding drums'' are about 18-24"..i cram about 20 asiatics or 5 orienpets in them[remember in a couple of years,there will be heaps more]-i couldn't help myself this morning,i purchased a pack of ''acapulco''---it is STILL raining here,'flat out',.-to add to my misery,ive somehow strained a couple of lower ribs around near my spine,so i think its going to be a ''cruisy' day,.,.after i pot up the 'acapulcos'-anthony
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 8, 2011
5:15 PM

Post #8681026

Thanks Anthony. I think my asiatics will all be happy in their pots. I am placing the pots around among the ground cover as it will shade them when !!!!! the summer gets here. I will get some bigger pots later, for the others.
Take care of that back..
( I bought lilium "Chilli". We are very bad )
Jean.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 9, 2011
2:34 AM

Post #8681488

yes!-you are going to have to learn to control your lilium impulses jean,like i do,..,.,Settle for a moment- then 'buy buy buy',..,chilli is a good looking lily,and qiute rare here in australia

This message was edited Jul 9, 2011 4:36 PM

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 9, 2011
6:33 AM

Post #8681696

How about this for a lily???

gardengal
se qld
Australia

July 9, 2011
1:26 PM

Post #8682377

g_whizz wrote:yes!-you are going to have to learn to control your lilium impulses jean,l

Why? Where's the fun in that? lol

It's only when you are tossing up between buying food or lilies, and the lily wins that you need to worry Jean.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 9, 2011

Post #8682549

Good morning everyone. Wind and rain here again and it is a nuisance because we have another water leak. Poor hubby is worried because we cant turn the cold water on to the house without losing a lot. . I said we can manage until the plumber gets here.
He is more frustrated because he cant fix it himself I think. We are getting past digging up pipes etc these days.
This place is like so many old houses with pipes that go everywhere with no plan, as people have added to them over the years.
The previous owner was great one for using second hand materials and doing it all himself. We have pipes appearing and going nowhere, while the ones you actually want are buried deeper than they should be. Poly pipe joined to galvanised metal pipe and goodness knows what else is under the ground.
The joys of living out of town.

Anthony. I should write 100 times, I must not buy more bulbs...lol
Of course I must buy more bulbs ...Lots more...I think we have lost all our willpower when it comes to the beautiful liliums.

I think I have lost willpower when seeing any pretty flower..

Hello Pam. No fear of me putting plants before food. I love food. I dont overeat or anything bad like that, I just enjoy my food.
Hubby has lots of variety because I like to experiment with herbs and spices. He says he enjoys all the different tastes.

I am a great fan of Bok Choy and similar. I find the Asian greens so much nicer than silverbeet and cabbage.
I have the slow cooker on at the moment with a giant ham hock cooking with lots of vegies and mushrooms. I will add some Bok Choy later.

Hello Charleen. I love those tiger lilies. Cant wait for mine to grow again. Dont let Charley near them.

Hello Dianne, Colleen, Karen and Teresa .
I hope you are all getting some lovely weather , I can send rain to anyone wanting it.

I am going to check on my babies outside in the green house when the rain eases .
I will put out something tasty for you all to enjoy with your cuppa.
Try this Lemon Cranberry Cake.

Have a great day.
stay warm and safe
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 9, 2011
3:55 PM

Post #8682598

Good morning everyone. Cool but sunny here. Actually quite a lovely morning. Only one boy out of bed at the moment. Normally Cameren is out first but he must be tired so will leave him a little longer. Tooth fairy must have been very busy last night. She was supposed to come here but didn't. oops. Got a bit more cleaned up yesterday while the boys were riding their bikes. Brian's daughter came yesterday to prune the Nectarine tree for me and I got the roses out the back pruned while she did the tree. Now I have two messes. Oh well gives me something to do. The boys got in the fowl yard yesterday and moved all the manure out of the yard and tidied it up and put clean hay all in there. The fowls thought it was Christmas. I'll put all the manure out lightly around the garden. The bonus was I didn't even ask them to do it. It took them about 2 hours. Well, I'm going to have some breakfast now so will be back later. Colleen
gardengal
se qld
Australia

July 9, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8682602

Isn't it just the way of it these days? Even the tooth fairies have a poor work ethic. lol

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 9, 2011
4:35 PM

Post #8682650

Send me your rain, Jean...This wind is drying out the soil very quickly...
Lots of pots blown over this morning...
That ham hock smells delicious, Jean...

We have my grandaughter's concert tonight...she does modern dance and they are doing "Burlesque."
She is ecstatic over the costumes...all feathers and sequins..
Nice that all the helpers were there for you,Colleen...I bet the boys had fun with the chickens..

Lovely Lilium, Charleen...
Off to water the pots now...
Have a lovely day all.
Dianne.

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 9, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8682819

A massive tiger,charleen!!-another icy /raining/miserable day..''no lily purchases today''-Pass me a bowl of that 'bubbling brew' jean,it sounds good!!!

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

July 9, 2011
7:33 PM

Post #8682929

Hello Everyone!

Nice day here at Buderim after a cold morning start.

Here is an Anthurium I have flowering that is almost black in colour. It's called Black Queen

Thumbnail by Marleneann

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 9, 2011
8:29 PM

Post #8683003

Ohhh that's nice Marlene. I see 2 flowers there. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 9, 2011
8:59 PM

Post #8683046

I have had pots blown over in the wind ...unfortunately it was some prickly ones ...I am not touching them until the wind stops.
It's been a shocker. The darned wind dies down just in time to allow Jack Frost to tip toe through the garden then resumes a bit later after lulling you into thinking the sun is out and we can go do something. I can't keep wind chimes here they just get torn to bits.

I might try again soon ...nothing like a pot of soup on a cold day, stay warm everyone.
lovely pic Marlene :-)
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 9, 2011
9:32 PM

Post #8683084

Pot of soup sounds good Chrissy. We had that slow cooker meal for lunch.
Ham hock with mushrooms , onions, celery , carrots plus some split peas and lentils. Cooked slowly all night.
Plenty of spices and a few herbs. thickened with some cous cous. Went down very well.
Sorry there was none left for any of you.
Jean.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 9, 2011
11:03 PM

Post #8683129

we had a nice day here, it was 5C when we headed off to dog club & I really wished for my thermal long johns when I was standing in the shade.
Once the sun came out more it warmed up nicely & after club Baz took me into town for a look around the red zone cordon.
It was a case of trying to remember what was there when confronted by a huge gap in the line of buildings.
Seeing the Cathedral was surreal, I have seen pictures but standing at the cordon looking down a street that I have viewed hundreds of times & the scene being so radically different...
I am glad we went in to see some of it for ourselves before it is gone completely.

the cathedral is in the centre of my pic, the red dome in front of it is off another badly damaged building.
The spire should be at the left - it took me a while to figure out what I was looking at.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 9, 2011
11:10 PM

Post #8683133

That is just so tragic Teresa ...can't imagine how it must feel.

I hope that Ch Ch will be able to get back on it's feet, it's been unbearable for it's poor people.
How many will stay I wonder.
gardengal
se qld
Australia

July 9, 2011
11:32 PM

Post #8683142

Your soup sounds lovely Jean. I'm quite partial to a nice pea and ham soup, but yours sounds just heavenly. Does the couscous still maintain some texture, or does it tend to melt into the brew, to simply thicken it?

Pam
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 10, 2011
2:19 AM

Post #8683187

if you think its cold,you are welcome to visit here,.its FREEZING,..,i can see snow on the mountain and also on the hills to the sw and west-tending north,.,.stupid 'WIN' sydney weather says its 5--dont think so!!-as we dont get local weather anymore/or news[i think 'win' must be close to folding],.,.there have been just continuous rolling showers,with occasional sleet and now,very icy,.,.oooh-the morning might be a worry!!!--i dont think i will get close to the[very important] illegal immigrant centre[being constructed] tomorrow with the truck[too boggy],..,thats o/k,i'll gladly come home early,next to the fire and be warm-anthony
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 10, 2011
2:24 AM

Post #8683188

this lovely old villa was yellow stickered...
might survive, may end up being bulldozed if it is uneconomical to repair.
It is right opposite the Arts Centre, which was severely damaged but will be rebuilt at the cost of millions and possibly take years of work.
The Arts centre was the original University & Sir Ernest Rutherford who was responsible for splitting the atom had a study there.
that was preserved and you used to be able to look through the window at the room as it was in his day.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 10, 2011
2:37 AM

Post #8683191

brrr - Anthony, I know just what you men about that kind of weather.
We get a cold southerly blast from the Antarctic some times.
And if it brings snow as far as the Port hills that over look ChCh... it's a lazy wind that cuts straight through rather than go around you!

picture is close up of the sculpture in front of the villa, I didn't get the middle part in - it is a heart that the figure has released - sculpture is named 'Falling in Love' & has a series of fountains in the base, I was really taken by the beauty of the classic villa & the bronze sculptures.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 10, 2011
2:43 AM

Post #8683192

and this is the view across the road from the villa...
part of the Arts Centre were the Arts Centre Market used to be held every weekend

http://www.artscentre.org.nz/home

This message was edited Jul 10, 2011 9:45 PM

Thumbnail by dalfyre

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2011
7:08 AM

Post #8683554

Disasters create such alien landscapes...confuses the eye and hurts the heart...continued good thoughts to you, Teresa and all in CHCH. Heard there was another quake just off the mainland there.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 10, 2011
3:32 PM

Post #8684564

Good morning everyone. Same old ,same old, here. weatherwise.
Anthony, I hope you have your long johns on and not the string bikini. You can keep the snow etc.

Teresa, isnt it awful to lose lovely old buildings like that ? I am glad there werent more lives lost , but it does make me sad to see history falling down.

Hello Pam, we had a lovely feed of the ham hocks etc. I put the cous cous in near the end of cooking so they do nt just disappear into the brew. . I use those packets of flavored cous cous by Ainsley Harriott.

Hello Chrissy, Karen, Elaine, Moon, Dianne and Colleen. Hope the concert went well Dianne.
Hello also to Charleen and Louise.

I am off to be domestic this morning. You know, doing things like vacuuming, dusting etc.. ughh.
I cant use the garden as an excuse not to do it now, as it is still raining.
Hubby never notices whether its done or not, the dear man.

Have a great day and keep warm and safe.
Try some of these Blueberry Bran Muffins.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 11, 2011
1:39 AM

Post #8685242

Jean,ive got my string bikini and longjohns,for extra warmth!!!ha ha,.,.My sinlist for today,..,LA-suncrest X 3,Asiatic 'pup art x 10,Oriental 'kissproof' x 3,Longiflorum'snow queen' x 10---wheres it all going to end?-its not!

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 11, 2011
2:00 AM

Post #8685250

The concert was great thanks Jean...I must admit that her concerts up until the last couple of years have been a bit taxing especially for Ray...all the little darlings clodhopping their way thru 3 hrs...
Now that she is 16 everything is different..the dances are so modern and the costumes and makeup so adult...maybe too adult said her Poppy...lol

This concert included all the dance schools from Geelong and surrounds..Ballet, Tap, Jazz, Funk and something called Interpretive dance, which they can have on their own...except for one in which the dancers were a plane flying and landing...weird but interesting...the ballet was beautiful and some of the dancers were very good.

Steph's group did a dance from Burlesque and they were terrific...
One group were cheer leaders, but they dropped the little girl they were supporting, thank goodness they caught her before she hit the ground...I don't think that I would like any of my girls to do that.
All in all though it was very enjoyable..

Commiserations Anthony...though I just read your post and you won't have time to watch a game soon...they sound great...and now you've hooked Jean..lol
Have a good night, all...

This message was edited Jul 11, 2011 8:03 PM
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 11, 2011
4:51 AM

Post #8685362

wee shake here this arvo... nothing major, dog didn't even lift his head from the couch.
He was off to the vet early evening to be checked out, he has been screaming in pain intermittently and it is very unnerving for him & us.
The vet suspects a pinched nerve in his neck, might have done it slipping on frosty or wet deck as he runs out full tilt & I know he had a slide while jumping off the edge one night.
I don't always watch him go so he may have had a fall at some stage as well.
The other possibility is degenerative damage, he certainly had me give him some serious neck jerking when I first started trying to curb his pulling on lead & lunging at other dogs.

poor pup, I finally found a better way to train using positive reinforcement but hate to think of all the pain inflicted on him earlier in the name of training.

he has some pain meds to take & has to take it easy...
he runs along just fine & has no problem jumping up & down from the deck so it is going to be hard to keep him from over doing it!
Every so often he must turn his head too far or jar the nerve & then he lets out a yelp & if I am close he looks at me as if to say 'what did I do to deserve that?'

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2011
8:24 AM

Post #8685727

Poor Copper...hope he heals quickly.

We are looking at another week of temps in the mid 30'sC. Jean, I would gladly take your rain...we are in the record driest 6 months since 1890's...the whole garden has that slightly droopy look to it. Can't seem to water things enough and with the ground so dry it just wicks the water away as fast as you put it down.

The normal summer wildfires have increased in number and size here in LA. A few thousand acres have been lost, but fortunately no homes here as yet. They are raging across the Southern US...from California to Georgia (3000 miles)

Hope Mother Nature treats you all kindly.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

gardengal
se qld
Australia

July 11, 2011
1:48 PM

Post #8686383

Poor Copper indeed. I hope the vet gets him sorted out quickly, Teresa.

My gosh, Moon, those fires sound horrific. I certainly hope they get them under control quickly.

Jean, I made a variant of your ham hock soup last - very yummy thankyou. :) I discovered too late that we had no split peas, so I simply threw in some extra potatoes to boil down and thicken the brew.

A cool start here today, but it looks to be shaping up to be a lovely day. Have a good one all

Pam

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2011
2:41 PM

Post #8686529

We get wildfires across the plains states and the south/southeaster states every year mostly from lightning strikes and sometimes a careless campfire. They can be quite destructive, especially in areas of California. This year the drought is much like it was for Australia a while back. More acreage is burning up faster and there are few creeks and small streams to help stem the spread.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 11, 2011

Post #8686631

Good morning everyone. Yesterday turned out to be not so cold with very little wind and just a shower.
Talking of showers, our water is fixed . The plumber had the job done in no time at all.

Anthony, did you have the string bikini over or under the long johns ? lol
I looked at another lilium yesterday too, but resisted... ( so far )

Moon, its a terrible thing to see fires and not be able to do much about them. We were lucky here last year in having hardly any but the continuous rain is creating lots of growth so we await summer and hope nothing happens.
I was watching a documentary yesterday on the early beginnings of the Earth. Our disasters are terrible for all of us , but nothing compared to what used to be happening and still may again.
We have only been here for a small blip in time and who knows what can happen as our restless Earth continues on its way.

Hello Teresa. I hope poor Copper gets over his soreness. They can be headstrong in their running about. Glad the shake was not too bad for you all.

Pam, glad you enjoyed your meal. I keep a large jar of split peas and lentils for just such things. We often have the cous cous or a savory rice as a vegetable substitute with a meal. It is a handy thickener for stews etc, if you like it.
I have 2 old single wardrobes bought at an auction for a dollar each. I painted them and they sit in the spare room as my pantry. I buy extra tins and packets of things so there is always something to make a meal from.
Hubby thought I was silly when I bought the robes but he thinks its great now as we very rarely ever run out of anything now. When I am shopping, if I buy something thats on special, I buy two .

Hello Dianne. Sounds like the concert was a great success. Glad you had a good time.
How many liliums do you have now , Dianne ? I think you may be 'slightly' addicted too.

Hello Elaine, Chrissy, Colleen, Karen and everyone else popping in.
I am leaving something very nice for you all to nibble on. One of my favorites, Carrot Cake.

Oops, I nearly forgot to say hello to Charleen and Charley. Give him a slice of cake Charleen.
Louise , I hope you are enjoying your garden and some lovely weather . Pats for the girls.

Have a happy day and stay warm.
Jean.

This message was edited Jul 12, 2011 9:27 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 11, 2011
4:24 PM

Post #8686752

Good morning everyone. Cold and overcast here this morning. The boys and I spent a lovely day doing the shopping and buying new sneakers for them. Then we had lunch at an open air cafe and then went into Cheap as Chips to have a look around. I got 2 lilium bulbs and some yellow Nasturium seeds to throw around the front garden. The boys got some gnomes to paint and a mask. That will keep them quiet for 2 minutes. Doing a bit of washing and then will see if it's warm enough to get out in the garden and do some more cleaning up. Must move. Hope everyone is feeling well and I'll be back later. Colleen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 11, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8686789

That is his favorite, Jean. Charley loves Carrot cake. Me too!!!!
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 11, 2011
5:04 PM

Post #8686809

Just popping in to say hello to everyone. Been gadding about and now need to slow down a bit. Went down to Kyogle yesterday, just for the drive. Was lovely. I imagine they would be getting icicles early in the mornings now. But the days are so lovely (out of the wind). Saw some great plant life, but on the narrow mountain roads, can't stop for pics, unfortunately.

Hope you are all keeping warm and Teresa, hope that ground stops shaking soon. I see there are a number of rumbles to the north of NZ. Moon, I think wildfire must be the most terrifying thing on earth. I dread summers and the fires it brings, killing off wild life so cruelly, not to mention the bush, though it does recover.

Take care.

Karen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 11, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8686979

Well the winds have dried everything out and then frost this morning meant a watering was needed, my fingers are frozen ! I have just put on my pot of veggie soup lots of garlic, cauliflower, carrot, potato, onion and chopped greens and herbs, later I will thicken it with a hand full of rice ...delicious !
It warms the home and everything smells comforting.

I hope everyone is ok ...too much upheaval in this World of ours at the moment, my thoughts fly to all who are doing life tough, may life be kinder very soon.
The cold isn't kind to people with pain so stay warm ...have a gentle day.
Big wave to everyone. :-)

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 11, 2011
8:49 PM

Post #8687304

Just come home from Jan Juc beach, watching the crazy people surfing in the huge waves...still it's very invigorating ducking the waves as they come in...Matilda wanted to jump the waves as they crashed onto the beach...not for me on these cold days...Love the beach at this time of year but not wet dogs...
We had driven to Anglesea first, then called in to Jan Juc...at Anglesea, we bought Bananas for $6.99 per kg...cheapest I've seen them for months.

Jean. I don't know how many Liliums I have...about 10 times more than I had before Anthony came on the scene...lol.
Well it's soup making time again, so off to the kitchen...for a while...
Colleen, I asked DG about the threads and topics and it's in my member's panel...
Catch up later..
Tried 3 times to post a pic with this..no go..If 3 turn up please ignore...LOL

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 11, 2011
9:30 PM

Post #8687354

Love walking along the beach in this weather ...no swimming though brrrrr!!!!!
I'm cold (practically sitting on the oil heater here).
I don't usually feel it too much really but I am tired.
I haven't had time for my soup yet ...must go grab some to warm me up.
Our bananas are still too expensive here just hovering around 16.00 a kilo and green.
Can't blame anyone I guess it's the weather.
Who would be a farmer for a living, it used to be a dream of mine but not any more.
The soup is whispering ... :-) ...walk this way ...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 12, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8688747

Good morning everyone. Brrrrrr... all this talk of walking on beaches.. Give me the countryside any nice and sunny day.
I think I've gone past the stage of getting out in all weather. Done too much as a necessity over the years.

It was milder here yesterday, but still too cold to be pottering in the garden which is growing very well without my supervision at the moment.
I'll catch up to all those weeds , thistles etc that think I haven't seen them.

Hello Chrissy. I have another lot of yummy stuff in the slow cooker again. Hubby loves 'bowl food' as he calls it.
Certainly warms one up.

Hello Dianne. Yes, we have all added more bulbs since Anthony gave us a look at what is out there.

Hello Colleen. My nasturtiums are starting to explore the garden again. I just leave them to go where they like and when they die, I leave the plants where they are, so many, many seeds are always ready to grow. Mine are all the orange and yellow old fashioned ones that love to see how far they ca n get in a season. I have seen the odd dark red pop up .
They are already starting to climb the trees. Such bright happy , easy going plants. I like the way they cover a multitude of ugly old stumps etc.

Hello Charleen, hope Charley liked his cake. How is your garden going now ? I hope you have had a little rain.

Hello Karen, Teresa, Pam, Louise and Anthony..

I may get out in the greenhouse later . I have a few new seeds to plant.
Heres something nice to have with your cuppa. Chocolate Almond Torte.
Have a happy day, keep warm.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 12, 2011
4:37 PM

Post #8688898

We got rain there for about three afternoons. None today. but I sure am glad we got some.
Yes Charley loves a carrot cake.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 12, 2011
5:34 PM

Post #8689013

I spent ages weeding out all the nasty invasive nasturtiums from the garden...
and then had a change of heart when I read other people praising them, and saw attractive photos.
Now I let them ramble in some areas for a splash of colour & interest.
They are good frost indicators too - I know how hard the frost is by how many are left alive.
And they have shown me certain areas that are sheltered from the frosts so I can put more tender darlings there & know that they have the best chance of making it.
And to top it off they taste good in a salad...
converted to liking them :)
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 12, 2011
11:35 PM

Post #8689496

Nothing much done today. The sun came out but the wind was freezing.
Has anyone seen those loop lock plant ties anywhere ?
You know the ones I mean, they loop around the stem / trunk and lock through themselves. I have used all I had bought from USA and cannot find the company I bought from.
eBay is useless and the only ones I can find on the internet are from the UK and are very short or company doesnt ship here.
I need some that are at least 8" (20cm) long.
If you see them anywhere please let me know.
Jean.
gardengal
se qld
Australia

July 13, 2011
12:43 PM

Post #8690341

Jean, are you referring to stretchy rubber ones, or the little squares linked together with holes in them?

Pam
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 13, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8690619

Good morning everyone.. Just for a change, we have fog this morning. No frost but very nippy . Yesterday was sunny for most of the day , but there is no warmth yet in the sun. . The ground is so squishy, the worms are coming to the top everywhere.
Our birds here don t seem to like the worms . I have seen birds tugging worms from the ground years ago but our birds here do not lower themselves to eat worms. Especially when hubby feeds them bread and cat food. Never seen birds love that dry cat food so much. A couple of the magpies are very adept at catching the bits in the air.
There is usually a lineup of maggies, blackbirds, a few willie wagtails and the sparrows . We even had 2 currawongs for a week as they were passing through.

Hello Pam, no none of those ties you mentioned. The ones I am after are plastic strips with a hole in one end you thread the other end through to lock it onto the branch. .
I think they are called loop lock ties.
I use them for the brugs as they last well and you can write on them. The ones I had were about 6"long and 1/2"wide. I would like some a bit longer to go around the thicker branches . I didnt mean ones to actually tie the plants to anything just to label each plant.
So much easier to have a large colored tie where you can see it to read without having to peer at some small label way down.
I use a color system on my epis too, but as they are all in pots up on benches, their name tags are easier to read.
I find that I can by using different color labels I can see at a glance which plants are from a particular seller and which have flowered etc.

Hello Teresa. I love the nasturtiums as they cover lots of uglies.
One good thing is they are so easily removed if not wanted. I like them when they climb up the trees and shrubs then poke their bright flowers right in your face. There are smaller non invasive ones in lovely colors if you just want a small lot in pots or baskets.

Hello Chrissy, Karen, Colleen, Anthony, Elaine and Dianne. I would invite you all to enjoy the slow cooker meal again, but hubby ate it all.
I used rump steak this time, with mushrooms, sultanas, chopped dried apricots, chopped apples and a few mixed vegetables. I added a packet of curry casserole mix and rice. It was just the thing in the cold.
I always have packets of different sauces, casserole , stir fry and slow cooker mixes along with tins of tomatoes etc.
I buy a packet of fresh stir fry mixed vegies each shopping day too as I never know what I will cook.

Hello Charleen and Louise. hugs for the furry critters.

I may get out in the garden later when the fog lifts if the sun stays around. A little bit of trimming to do along the paths.

I hope you all have some sunny weather too.
Keep warm and enjoy some of this Chocolate Zucchini Bread.
Happy gardening, Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 14, 2011
12:20 PM

Post #8692171

I missed this on the news last night, so I thought that I would find the photos online...Have a look!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2014312/Milky-Way-pictures-Alex-Cherneys-photos-galaxy-seen-naked-eye.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
The pix are awesome...

Good morning all.
Nearly time for breakfast...
I won't put the kettle on yet Jean...but I will warm up the tearoom...
Dianne.
gardengal
se qld
Australia

July 14, 2011
12:41 PM

Post #8692213

Dianne, that's awesome! Thanks. :)

Pam

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2011
2:26 PM

Post #8692399

That was breathtaking Dianne...thanks for sharing those pictures.

Good Morning to you all.
Moon
Cleome and Gladiolus

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 14, 2011
2:41 PM

Post #8692413

With all the man made light on our planet today, it is really quite sad that we are missing so much in the sky at night. Even as a child, I don't remember the sky ever so full of stars, but we used to lie on the ground outside and star gaze. Beautiful.

Not a great pic, but took this pic of wild grass trees on our Kyogle trip. These must be very, very old, as they are quite tall. To think, something that took so long to grow, and we come along and rip it out in a day. These look prehistoric.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 14, 2011
2:56 PM

Post #8692448

Good morning everyone. Freezing here this morning . I see fog outside. It was coming in last night quite early . Hubby has gone out to see if there is any frost. It feels like it, but I do hope not, as all the plants are in spring mode now , with lots of new growth.
Hubby has come back in and says yes, there is a frost but not too much right here. The paddocks around get really white.
I have found that even if the frost is not seen on the ground, the extra low temps cause the same damage.

Dianne, thanks for adding the link to those pics. I saw them on the news. Awesome.
Everyone should , at some time , get out in the bush where there are no lights at all and look up to marvel at how beautiful the night sky is and how insignificant we really are.

Hello Karen, nice pic of the grass trees. I saw lots of them when living in WA. There are areas of huge old man ones . Such a variety of weird shapes and sizes.

Hello Moon. I like your pretty cleomes. I cant get them to grow here.

Hello Pam, Chrissy, Elaine, Teresa and Anthony.

Colleen, I have a bud coming on the winter hippie . Everything seems to always be behind here. Better late than never.

Hello Louise, if you are around .

I am not venturing out until I see the sun. It was quite nice yesterday after the bit of fog lifted. I potted up a few new salvias.

I will put out something nice to nibble on . Keep warm and safe.
Try a slice of this delicious Yellow ButterCake.
happy gardening, Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 14, 2011
3:15 PM

Post #8692487

brrrr - another freezing morning!
I am on night shift this week & by the time I get home the timer has turned the heater off...
I like to have a hot chocolate & unwind, last night I needed to eat as all I managed at work was a banana at 10.30pm!
I decided to adjust the timer to get the heater to stay on longer but must have done something wrong as it was off this morning when I got up.
I have my hot wheat bag behind me, think I need a few more so I can have them on more body parts at the same time!
I left the dog's coat on him & he is crashed out asleep on the couch beside me.
During the night the cat made herself a cosy nest on the bed between my knees, I wake up in some odd positions thanks to her.
Managed to slide out of bed without disturbing her & she is still there now...
I think of my two pets I would rather be the cat, she comes & goes as she please, get affection where & when she demands it & can sleep where & when she pleases...

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 14, 2011

Post #8692593

Plus she has an inbuilt fur coat , Teresa.
I am sitting here with the small heater on my feet . The large one is on in the lounge but I think they are all struggling to warm the very cold air.
Dont you just hate getting out of the cosy bed on these mornings ?

Anthony, I have you havent frozen to a fence post down there.
Will we find you slowly thawing beside your liliums in spring ? lol
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 14, 2011
7:58 PM

Post #8693037

just a quick hello everyone ...the nurse has just left a few mins ago and I have hungry men to feed so I just popped my head in the door and waved. must go prepare lunch ...late.
Popping back later after everyone has been fed ...keep warm, cool whichever you need :-)

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 14, 2011
10:47 PM

Post #8693341

Hi all, just come back from watching the final Harry Potter...My daughter, grandaughter and I thoroughly enjoyed it...Steph and I wanted to watch it in 3D but Linda gets giddy...so 2D it was...
Can't wait to get into Pottermore when it opens...the end of July we can leave email addresses...

Couldn't resist a Trixzie miniature dark red cherry tree called Cherree...My mother has Stella which is a great cropper and it's a medium red one...Still eating preserved cherries from Christmas...now we will have both types...didn't have anywhere to put it of course, so we had a little corner in the front garden
that will just fit a small cherry tree...

Karen, love your Grass trees...we have them growing in a particular area not far from us, must get a picture one of these days...Have you ever priced them in the nursery...shock horror!! a couple of hundred at the very least...
It's been a sunny day but starting to get cold now...oh well 16c tomorrow...heat wave..yippee.
Dianne.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 15, 2011
2:17 AM

Post #8693378

My niece was watching it Dianne and the film caught fire ...she said they lost a few mins before it was fixed and the audience was stomping and shouting ...so was it really the last one?
I must admit I haven't watched any of them yet. I just haven't got around to it, I must catch up with them one day. I have seen shorts of it and the special effects look amazing.

I hope every one is feeling warm and cosy tonight, except our American gardeners of course who are sweltering.
So is it a full moon? ...hmmm.
Must go look ...enjoy your evening.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 15, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8694512

Good morning everyone. Minus 2C here this morning. Jack is sitting all over my front garden. Will have a look at the brugs later to see if there's any damage. Boy is it cold. I'm sitting here with A/C going and rugged up with jacket and socks and singlet. Should be a lovely day so more work outside hopefully. I got the Sugar Pink out of the SH yesterday and plonked it in a garbage bin with vermiculite and water. You should have seen the root system on it. It was having a great time in the SH. The boys have a few of the Harry Potter movies but I haven't actually sat down and watched them all the way through as yet. How many movies are there? I think they have 5 of them. They're right into Star Wars at the moment. I have a look at the markets when they're on to see if I can pick up any of the series. I've only found the first one so far, which I'm told is actually the end of the story. bizzar. The boys are still sleeping but I shouldn't think that it will be long before they pop their heads up. Will put a load of washing on and do some tidying before there arrive. They're going for a motorbike riding camping trip with John's friends and their families next weekend. He'll come on Thursday and stay the night and take off Friday and they'll be back Sunday. There'll be a lot of other kids there so should be great for them and give me a break for a couple of days. Hope everyone is well and I'll be back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 15, 2011
3:41 PM

Post #8694515

Good morning everyone. Another frosty morning here but so far no frost in the garden . The cold can do as much damage though if it hangs around . Looks like the sun is up early today so will soon warm the little dears in the garden.

Before I wander off on other topics... a warning to all. I notice the scam mentioned on the flowering in July thread, re computer virus...
this has been going around now for about a month down here. We get phone calls at least once a day telling us our computer has a virus. They sound like they are in India or somewhere.
we never ever give out any info on the phone or via the computer, no matter how persuasive the people are.
All the reputable people like PayPal, banks etc will not ask for your details unless you are actually in their sites.
Hubby is usually the one who answers the phone at night when the scam callers seem to be around. He just hangs up on them as soon as they start.
Be aware of these as they can sound very genuine and fool some people.

Back to chat about normal things.
We decided to go for a drive yesterday as the sun was out with no wind. We went across to Mt Gambier , had a nice picnic lunch in the crater lake park , then wandered down the road to Port McDonnell. Quite a nice drive and the town is right on the ocean. Very quiet little place, as it sits waiting for the summer rush. I saw a sign saying bric a bric & plants , so made hubby park near it. Turned out to be a lovely lady with what seemed like a bit of the side of her house turned into a real little treasure trove.
Not a lot that I needed but a lovely place to buy knick knacks or gifts. Rooms full of old bottles, vases, plates, cupboards etc.
I ended up with a nice bromeliad, a large begonia, an epi ( as if I need another) a large reclining gnome, a small bird and a pretty white lady. All for just $20.
You all know I'll be going back again next time we go out.
We continued our drive along the coast to Nelson then along towards Portland.
I am always amazed at the large edifices that appear along the coast. Nothing for miles but low scrub and the odd small tree but then you find large fancy houses that look like they were picked up from an elite city block and just plonked down in the middle of a bare piece of land .
There are more appearing each time we are along that way. It seems so stupid and wasteful to me to have something as large, that is only maybe used for a month or two per year. Some are lived in on a more permanent basis but so many are not.
I would be worrying about theft, vandalism, fire etc.
We turned off before Portland and drove up through some forest and tree plantations towards Dartmoor. There are some nice little tracks that go down to the river along that road, so we went down one of them to a very pretty little picnic area with a small waterfall. A lovely place for our afternoon tea. .
During the days drive , we saw lots of waterbirds on the water that is laying everywhere. Swans and mountain ducks, plus lots of smaller ducks.
It was nice to get home though as the cooler evening air was coming in.

Now I have bored you with the account of our day, I will say hello to everyone.
Dianne, Colleen, Pam, Karen, Chrissy, Anthony, Teresa, Elaine,Charleen and Louise.

Here is something nice to make up for my rambling on. Chocolate Layer Cake.
Happy gardening and enjoy your weekend.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 15, 2011
7:51 PM

Post #8695059

That isn't boring Jean, I don't get out of the home these days and have put in 8 months of cabin fever.
It's lovely to hear about other gardeners trips and adventures.

I think those big mansions popping up here and there may be people building their retirement homes with their super pay outs, because the home is tax exempt under 5 acres.

I have never seen Star wars either colleen, but my hubby bought home lots of Star Wars stuff for our son after visiting Universal Studios in the USA (on business) way back when Star Wars was the huge hit of the Year, I think there is a bit of a resurgence at the moment for it (can't tell you why). Yes it was supposed to be the end of Harry Potter, Dianne probably can tell you more since she has seen it.

Yes it's almost 1 in the arvo but still cold wet and miserable ...the blue sky has been so scarce in the last few months it's almost a shock when it appears and I do love the Winter Blue, so different to the Summer blue.Still the wet stops the frost and we need it after the terrible winds.

Gosh Teresa you poor thing ...stay warm and I hope those rumbles have eased up.
Hello to everyone ...I hope everyone is enjoying their Saturday.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN_AqUK_3LM
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 16, 2011
1:38 AM

Post #8695278

busy week at work,i was glad to be able to wander the garden today and see whats going on,.,.days are starting to get longer,now the rain has stopped[2 weeks].very cold here,so im shovelling logs into the fire,'like caseys steam train',.Dannielle,my neighbor,[who i have seen grow up,since she was a 'twinkle in her parents eye'] constructed me an advertising flier for the next 'claremont daff show'..-and i left it to her imagination,and she did a brilliant job,.,.,.ive just eaten another scrummy pizza and had a few 4xxxx's[bed is close]----Dianne,those cheating magpies won[i wonder how much they had on the game?]
gardengal
se qld
Australia

July 16, 2011
2:17 PM

Post #8696204

77sunset wrote:
We get phone calls at least once a day telling us our computer has a virus.

Jean are you on the do not call register? If so you can supposedly ask for information on who they are and they have to give it to you, and you then report them.

If you're not on the do not call register, we've found it to be very successful in stopping those nuisance calls. Charities are still allowed to call, but I simply tell them we do not give donations over the phone.

Colleen, the pink flowering tree/climber that you posted, may I ask what it is please? And does this mean that you managed to get a camera? You may have posted about this somewhere, but if so I missed it.

Chrissy, you should be getting out, even if just for a small time once a week or so. Is blue care perhaps an option for a couple of hours every so often?

Hi to all - hope you're not all too cold down south. We had about 10mm of much needed rain yesterday, which will replenish the ground moisture well, I'm sure. After months of too much rain during Spring and Summer the dry spell has been most welcome, but the grass was starting to brown off and everything was starting to show signs of needing a drink. I don't tend to water the trees and shrubs once they've had a chance to settle in unless I absolutely have to, and I wasn't relishing the thought of lugging dozens of buckets of water uphill for too long. It makes my hip play up something shocking.

Have a great day all and stay warm.

Pam

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 16, 2011

Post #8696320

Good morning everyone. Looks like the rain may be on the way back as it is very cloudy and dull outside. Yesterday was sunny again but the cold wind was back. I'm glad we went on our drive when we did as that was the nicest day we have had for a while.
I repooted my new plants and now I have to clean the large gnome and get some shaping done on the pieces of limestone.
Even if they dont end up looking like small animals, they will still look nice in the garden.

Hello Anthony, I hope your new flyer gets lots of attention for daff show. You can keep all that cold down there too. I dont want any more.

Hello Pam. No we are not on the call register. Never had any need until this year. It seems these scams go in cycles so maybe they will stop soon.

Hello Chrissy, Pam is right. You definitely need to have a break even if you feel a bit guilty about taking it.
When I looked after Mum, the doctor told me I had to have one day out or I would be in hospital, so every Friday off I went to town, even if only for a cuppa and window shopping.
Your brother needs you, but so does your hubby and family.
Take a few hours and go out away from the house.

Hello Teresa, Elaine, Colleen, Dianne and Karen.
Hello Charleen and Louise too.
I hope you are all enjoying the weekend whatever the weather.
Try these Coconut Macaroons.
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 16, 2011
3:46 PM

Post #8696344

Kettle is on Jean...what a lovely trip you had, it sounded lovely...
Not a lot of blue sky here either,Chrissy...I hate the grey too depressing when it's cold as well.

One of my favourite shows on TV is "The Big Bang Theory" and on the odd occasion, they sing a little nursery rhyme...Warm kitty, soft kitty...It must be an American one because I have never heard it before...and from the first time, it has stuck in my mind...I find myself singing it at all odd times...
I CAN'T GET IT OUT OF MY HEAD...every time it comes on, I sing it for at least a week...lol

Anthony, they would have put only $10 on it, you know that...you will beat them next time...What a game for Judd!!!
Have a great day everyone...

As an after thought, I had a look on the internet to see where Soft Kitty came from and guess who wrote it.
PATSY BISCOE...

Wouldn't it rot your socks...

This message was edited Jul 17, 2011 10:16 AM

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2011
4:22 PM

Post #8696395

Dianne, I am also a fan of Big Bang Theory. The Kitty song was made up for/by Jim Parsons (Sheldon). Believe it or not, the character has his own Wikipedia page...LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheldon_Cooper

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 16, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8696401

Jean, I'm glad it's not only me...

Patsy Biscoe was a delightful young woman who was on TV children's shows when my kids were young and evidently she wrote it..
All the kids loved Patsy.
Here is her version..they credit her on Wikipedia..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rHMJqpHXfA

This message was edited Jul 17, 2011 10:31 AM

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2011
4:36 PM

Post #8696405

Looks like I should have kept reading...grin. Glad you have an answer...I knew it wasn't from any kids show I was familiar with. How funny the link runs back to Au.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 16, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8696450

Dianne, that video is cute but have a look at the other one 'Mean Kitty Song' . So much more like the usual kitty.
Jean.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 16, 2011
5:39 PM

Post #8696492

Good morning everyone. Cold and cloudy here this morning. Beautiful day yesterday although we had a ripper of a frost firsat and then lovely sunshine for most of the day. No damage done to the brugs out the front even though the frost was laying on the ground. Boy it's been cold. Pam, that creeper is Hardenbergia violacae. I am very pleased with it . It isn't as unmanagable as the purple one. I have it in a 50litre pot and climbing up an arch frame. The other side I have a white Mandavilla in a 50litre pot. They haven't quite reached over the arch but I'm sure they will do this Spring. Jean I loved your commentary of your drive. You took me along with you. Must go be back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

gardengal
se qld
Australia

July 16, 2011
5:55 PM

Post #8696519

So those ginormous leaves belong to the hardenbergia, Colleen? My goodness! We have a version of the purple one growing wild here, but it's nowhere near as prolific as the Happy Wanderer. Then again, it has to compete with eucalypts and receives only what water it gets from the sky too, so that might have a difference.

Pam

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 16, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8696591

Do you mean this one? Dianne
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-qra604RbU&feature=related

Miss Pat was a great favourite and a lovely lady.
Hi everyone grey and Winter time here ...big surprise ! but the wind is not here thank goodness.
I hope everyone is having a nice weekend ...did anyone see gardening Australia last night?

I want some of those Mouse Melon seeds anyone up North know them ? anyone have a link to where I might get some?
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s3263890.htm

Love to swap something for some of these seeds please ... or a link would be great :-) yes it's Winter dreaming time !
Going through my lists for veggie planting and would love to try something new, I try to do that every year.
The climbing Spinach was interesting but it was too cool for it to be rampant ...so I want to try this little Mouse Melon this year.
Anyone tried them?

This message was edited Jul 17, 2011 12:48 PM
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 16, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8696626

we have a stunning winter day here - no frost, only slight breeze & it was just wonderful to be out at dog club with Copper.
He seems much better, no screams of pain & he was frolicking about like a pup this morning so I did a little light training with him just to help settle the zoomies.
now he is asleep on the couch beside me.
If I am not careful I may join him in the land of nod.
Finished work at 12.15 last night, one function after another, the first ones were lovely, brought their glasses back to the bar & then helped us clean up the room for the next function.
The second lot were nice people but kept leaving their used glasses on the table & getting a fresh one for each drink...
yes I know you guys do that in Aussie but we normally just stick with the same glass to save on washing up.
I don't mind them wanting a fresh glass each time but if they could bring the old one back i can then get it washed & back into circulation for someone else.
It gets embarrassing when we have to tell customers sorry we have run out of glasses because they are all sitting on a table in the other room.
I try to collect them when I can - but if it's busy you can't leave the bar.

I am tempted to say to people the reason your drinks are so incredibly cheap is because the the staff are over worked & underpaid...

mind you we did get a gift basket each on Thursday night as a thank you for all our hard work during the renovation process.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 16, 2011
8:42 PM

Post #8696786

It's raining here so the boys and I are doing some baking. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 16, 2011
8:43 PM

Post #8696788

Teresa, our health dept is the reason for the new glass each time...Beer drinkers used to always refill their glass in pubs...not any longer.

Chrissy, that's the one...warm kitty...soft kitty...there I go again...
When you mentioned new vegetables, it made me think of a veg that I used to buy all the time, but we don't have an asian grocery here.

Jicama...I used to love them...raw or cooked...http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/forum/yam-bean-jicama
I didn't grow any, but this forum said that they should be fine for you.
Too cold for the Mouse melon here...sounds good though..
I'm off to prune some more roses, while the sun is out.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 16, 2011
8:49 PM

Post #8696797

Teresa, what a lovely basket . I can see me eating those nice jams on some fresh bread. Glad to hear Copper is much better.
Colleen, your cacti are looking good despite the frost. The small one of Brians that he grew himself, is looking very healthy here.
I am hoping to see flowers on some when it warms up.
I tried that hardenbergia ( Happy Wanderer ) creeper but it likes the warm better . I did have a large one in a house I once rented up near Ouyen where it gets much warmer .
I found they get too tatty as they age and drop leaves.
I may give the pink or white a try . There was a huge purple one down in town ta the local shop. It was way up over the side of the shop and getting onto the roof.
Must have been years old , but it did look awful when bare.
Its gone now, with new owners in the shop.
Rain here. Been raining since before lunch and doesnt look like stopping any time soon.
I watch the weeds growing around the irises and cringe when I see them laughing at me.
Time for another cuppa.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 16, 2011
9:15 PM

Post #8696858

Thanks Dianne ...found them in Diggers. :) ...what grabbed my attention is the pest free comment :)

Yes that one looks interesting too ...I saw it on gardening Australia.

The Happy Wanderer grows wild up the mountains here, self seeding all over. The mountain soil is very sandy ...further down where I am is heavy clay so things don't self seed much here unless in the garden beds where the soil is friable.

Teresa that basket looks wonderful! I am sure you earn every little treasure in it.

Colleen your cactus look good ...I hope Jack Frost is kind to them. So nice to be cooking on a Winter's day.

Speaking of which ...
gardengal
se qld
Australia

July 17, 2011
1:17 PM

Post #8697980

chrissy100 wrote:Thanks Dianne ...found them in Diggers. :) ...what grabbed my attention is the pest free comment :)

You found mouse melons at Diggers, Chrissy? I had a quick look after seeing your post and couldn't find them there. Am I blind, or just not holding my tongue right?

Thanks for the reminder about them by the way - I made a mental note to look into them after seeing the article, but by the time the show was finished had forgotten all about it. Hubby loves his cucumbers but our climate is not kind to them, too much humidity.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 17, 2011
3:16 PM

Post #8698150

Morning all,
I think that Chrissy meant the Jicamas, Pam.

Take a look at this site..http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-14179217
I was listening to the BBC last night and caught this item..

The treasure is estimated to be worth at least $20 billion dollars...bags of precious stones, golden statues..etc...all gifts to an Indian god..kept safe for hundreds of years by a royal family..
They haven't finished cataloguing it all yet.
Can't wait to see it all when they finish...
Dianne.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 17, 2011
3:20 PM

Post #8698154

Try them under this name :)

http://www.territorialseed.com/product/7232/292

The nurse comes this morning so back later ...could someone tell me if these seeds would be ok with customs, I am useless at understanding how to look it up ...they grabbed many of my veggie seeds (common ones) before. These are in short supply here it would be nice to buy a few in bulk.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 17, 2011
3:20 PM

Post #8698156

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-14179217

The other didn't highlight...imagine seeing that treasure for the first time...like walking into Tut's tomb...

I looked it up,Chrissy...but they had no info...you will have to contact them..unless I missed it..

This message was edited Jul 18, 2011 9:41 AM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 17, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8698180

Good morning everyone. Its raining here again after a day of rain yesterday. Hubby came in last night saying it was foggy outside . I was thinking , ahhh, a nice day will appear. Hmmmm. I think the man upstairs is playing with us . I dont know where the fog went but we have had about 50 points of rain overnight. I told hubby it must have been a lost cloud floating around not fog.

I may go out and play in the greenhouse later. I could plant a few more seeds. I planted some Salvia dominicum a week ago and there is one up already.

Hello Pam and Chrissy. I have given up all thought of growing any vegetables at all here. For a start I dont have a lot of space for them where they get lots of sun and they also take more water than my other plants. Besides that , the bugs just eat the whole plants . I dont have that with the usual garden plants , but put any type of vegie in and poof , its gone overnight despite snail pellets. Its easier to just but for the two of us.

Hello Anthony, I'm still watching the buds on the two liliums I bought that were sprouting. Nothing doing yet. They may hang on until the spring. Hope you are keeping that fire going there.

Hello Colleen, how are the boys doing on the holiday ? You will have a rest while they are away. I hope the weather fines up for you then.

Hello Dianne, Teresa and anyone else popping in for a warm cuppa.

Charleen, how are things over your way ? Charley is behaving well I hope.
Louise, are you out there ? Hope all is well with the darling girls.

I am going to turn the small heater on in here as my feet are cold. I can sit here and be more comfortable looking at the computer now too.
I said to hubby yesterday, that I seem to be looking slightly down at the monitor instead of straight at it. He hadnt noticed because he sort of slumps in his chair due to his old back injury.
The dear man went and found a nice solid box about 3"high , sat the monitor on it and now I am looking straight at the screen which should stop my neck from getting a bit achy.
Have a look at your monitor heights if you tend to get any achy neck or shoulder muscles or even a bit of eye strain.
Probably something noone thinks of. Just plonk the thing down on the table, desk etc.

I'm off to see whats in the kitchen for you all.
Here we are, Chocolate & Rum Truffles.
One of Brians favorites , Colleen. Anthony dont eat too many.
Keep warm .
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 17, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8698192

Chrissy, I use this site to see if anything I want is allowed. Your little melothria is allowed according to this.
When you type in a name, often just use the species name and all the cultivars etc should come up in the lists.

http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_querycontent.asp#top
Jean.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2011
3:50 PM

Post #8698203

Chrissy, a link for Melothria scabra----mouse melon seeds

http://www.webstore.kodaphytorium.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=1367

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 17, 2011
4:37 PM

Post #8698304

Jean, that is exactly what I used and it came up with no result...I tried all different names...
So I sent them an email...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 17, 2011
4:48 PM

Post #8698341

I tried it with the first word and up it came. Sometimes using the whole name gets you nothing at all.. I have also found that searching several times for different things will also get a no result answer, so I completely get out of the page then re enter the site again. Usually works.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 17, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8698370

Jean. tried again..no result...then I used ALL COUNTRIES...ALL USES and up it came...I always specify the use and source...not in future though..
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 17, 2011
5:52 PM

Post #8698465

Sorry Dianne, I meant to mention that. I always use the same . You can then see what you need . It is not a particularly comprehensive site but is all we have . I have tried going into more of the detailed parts of the sites but get lost in a maze of techno gobbledy gook.
I have so far only had 2 parcels opened and labelled with nothing taken and one that required me to ring and explain that the seller had forgotten to label properly.
I think now, most overseas sellers are aware of what to do when selling to us here.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 17, 2011
9:04 PM

Post #8698692

Gosh everyone sorry I caused such a drama ...as you know I don't use poisons and as a result anything the critters don't like sounds great to me. I also love the idea of a bite sized cucumber that tastes like it is pickled already straight from the vine.
too good to be true?
mmmm who could resist trying huh?
Thanks so much everyone ...I will be trying some this summer and will report what happens of course.
I get frustrated with all that stuff on the Gov sites I just give up.

Must feed the troops now the nurse is gone ...running late today.
Popping back later ...and thanks again :-)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 17, 2011
9:10 PM

Post #8698701

oooppps forgot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SufJwBACKUk
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 17, 2011
10:59 PM

Post #8698746

No problem Chrissy, asking questions gives us all something to look for.
We would never find such interesting food if someone didnt tell us about it and how to get it.
I would love to try those little fellas too but I dont think they would like it here.

Just received my parcel of new mini asters. I bought a pink, a blue and a white. I will be keeping them in pots to look pretty around the place and also to divide and sell at the market.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 18, 2011
1:43 AM

Post #8698811

Did anyone look at this article today? fascinating !
Lovely idea.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2420/
Aster s are very pretty Jean, looking forward to the pictures when they bloom, it's just started to rain here, they reckon we can expect quite a lot of it ...good it keeps Mr frosty away.
Enjoy your evening everyone.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 18, 2011
1:52 AM

Post #8698813

No-chrissy,you cant import those seeds,.,.they are vegies!!-i know the quarentine manule[manure] is all gobbeldy gook,.contact the big 'Q' and ask if you want ,.,,.to be sure!!,.,.oh!, 8 more oriental bulbs yesterday,.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8699256

Chrissy, the above link I posted is an Australian site.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 18, 2011
3:23 PM

Post #8700230

Good morning everyone. Rain again . Its winter, what do I expect, silly me..
Hello Anthony. I can see you up to your ears in lilium bulbs. We will never find you once they all bloom. Man lost in lilium forest. You will have to wave your string bikini on a pole so we can see you.

Hello Chrissy. . I hope you get your seeds and then show us how they turn out. Those little cucumber thingys look cute.

Hello Moon. I hope you are still enjoying some good weather.
Hello Dianne, Colleen, Teresa ,Pam and Karen.
Elaine, I hope you are well and taking things easy.
Charleen hugs for Charley. Give him a cookie from the kitchen. I thought I saw him leaning over the fence waiting for a pat.
Louise are you toiling in your pretty garden or sitting in those nice chairs relaxing in the sun ?

Hello to anyone else popping in. I am leaving some tasty nibbles out for you all. Mixed Pastries.
have a great day and keep safe.
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 18, 2011

Post #8700238

Morning all...Did you sleep in, Jean?...I can't see you in the tea house...I will put the kettle on.
Oh, there you are...

Just checked out that site,Jean/Moon...and they do indeed sell the mouse melon seeds...interesting products...especially the adult ones..lol

We are off to see the Tutankhamun exhibition tomorrow, looking forward to that...
Not driving into Melbourne...we are going by bus...long past driving in the city if I don't need to.
Hope it's not windy today I wanted to spray lime suphur on my fruit trees and roses..

Have a good day everyone..
Dianne

This message was edited Jul 19, 2011 9:28 AM
gardengal
se qld
Australia

July 18, 2011
3:58 PM

Post #8700324

chrissy100 wrote:Try them under this name :)

http://www.territorialseed.com/product/7232/292

The nurse comes this morning so back later ...could someone tell me if these seeds would be ok with customs, I am useless at understanding how to look it up ...they grabbed many of my veggie seeds (common ones) before. These are in short supply here it would be nice to buy a few in bulk.

Chrissy, I'm so glad you found that other name for them, because I managed to find this because of it. :)

http://www.webstore.kodaphytorium.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=1367

gardengal
se qld
Australia

July 18, 2011
4:10 PM

Post #8700351

I've sent off an email asking for cost of postage Chrissy, as I can't find it on their page, and it seems I'd have to enter all my personal details to get far enough into the checkout process to get an idea.

EDIT: Hmmm, decided to go through the checkout process after all - unless they message me with diffent info, seeing as I specifically enquired about just a single pack of seed or two, the post cost currently stands at $6.55. A bit steep for just a single pack of seed.

This message was edited Jul 19, 2011 9:22 AM

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2011
4:58 PM

Post #8700434

Good Morning from rainy south Louisiana...the rain dances are working, oh Joy!

Dianne, I really didn't check that site out well before I sent it... I went back and took a peek around...Not quite the seed shop I was expecting lol..but they do have the seeds...and they are in Australia...my search criteria...grin

Hope you all have a day with sunshine...hopefully an early taste of Spring.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 18, 2011
5:03 PM

Post #8700446

Dog gone mule was leaning over fence to grab some grass. Poor fella. I gave him kisses for you all yesterday. He stood so still. He loves attention..Charley sends you his love...
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 18, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8700521

Good morning everyone. Cool and foggy here this morning. No frost though. I planted a 5' Sugar Pink standard out the front yesterday so was hoping the Jack would be kind. I'll see what else I can put out there today. Charleen, what happened to the mule?. I must have missed that. Hope he is okay. Those little cucumbers sound lovely. I might have to get some seeds too but I'm not paying $6.55 for postage either Pam. The boys and I got some of their camping gear ready yesterday. They are so excited. Boy it's going to be cold. I'm staying home to babysit the dog "Arthur". He's really only a pup about 9mths old but he's a big dopey bugger. loveable though. Well had better go and get some things done. will be back later. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 18, 2011
5:46 PM

Post #8700550

Thanks so much Moon, Pam and everyone but that site (Nimbin) looks dodgy to me :-) I think I will stick with Diggers.
Moon *Nimbin* is our whacky tobaccy place lol! Lovely place but lots of ex Happy Hippies. *grin*

I have some things I must do and will be back after lunch ...enjoy what is left of the morning everyone.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 18, 2011
11:09 PM

Post #8701036

Hi all. Hey, we almost-but-not-quite drive through Nimbin on our way back from Kyogle. It was getting just a bit late in the day to do the extra bit, so missed out.

Dried leaf art...some really talented and patient people out there...

http://laughingsquid.com/naturayarte-astonishingly-delicate-cut-leaf-art/

Karen
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 19, 2011
2:13 AM

Post #8701083

Quick hello!-drizzly here.work busy,lazy office staff really p#ssing me off[1/2 the instructions]-sleep tight!-anthony

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2011
6:43 AM

Post #8701332

You are welcome Chrissy. I have been to Nimbin...it is a HAPPY place...grin
gardengal
se qld
Australia

July 19, 2011
1:11 PM

Post #8702074

Chrissy, I hadn't realised it was at Nimbin when I posted the link - went off to explore the site after I'd posted here and came accross a mention of 'adult party herbs' !!!!! I was tempted to come back and remove the link, but wasn't too sure at that stage we could get the mouse melon readily anywhere else in Aust.

They have a bad habit on GA of mentioning plants most of us can't get. And I'd really love to see some names for the unusual plants they show us when they go to gardens.

Karen, that leaf art is absolutely amazing. I wouldn't have the eyesight to do it let alone the artistic ability... or the patience!

Pam

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 19, 2011
2:56 PM

Post #8702224

Xena is starting to bloom. i have three blooming and they are all pink. Best scented one is Serendipity...

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 19, 2011

Post #8702305

Good morning everyone. The sun is shining... Yesterday turned out reasonably mild with only a few early showers. I managed to get out after lunch and pot up all my new perennial asters along with a couple of other small plants.

I was looking at a site that had those mouse melons on yesterday, so, for curiosity, asked via email what postage would be to here from USA. Dont worry about $6.55 for postage Pam, I was quoted $21. 50 for any amount from 1-30. They must be gold plated seeds.
Looking at some of the seeds available for both odd vegies and flowers, it is tempting to want to try them.

Hello Anthony. Keep calm and wander around the garden when things get annoying.

Hello Moon, hope you are still enjoying some nice rain on your garden .

Hello Dianne I hope you enjoy the trip in to see the exhibition. I would love to see all the treasures.

Hello Chrissy and Colleen. Are you all getting some of this lovely sunshine ?

Karen, that leaf art is wonderful. Imagine doing it. I wonder if he gets it right on the first leaf or has to use many.
Old leaves are surprisingly strong though.

Hello Teresa, how are things over there now. I do hope the ground is not shaking too much again. How is your weather ? lots of sun , I hope.

Hello Charleen. I gave Charley a few more cookies. He looked so cute hanging over the fence with his big sad eyes.
Hello Louise and anyone else looking in.

Heres a nice lot of Chocolate Chip Cookies for morning & afternoon tea.
Not for Charley. Hes had some already. lol

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 20, 2011
2:02 AM

Post #8703023

Wow the place is deserted ...I bet it's the weather, talk about wild and wet!

Dianne I am waiting to hear all about that exhibition, I was so thrilled to have seen one here in Sydney.
Did you get a chance to buy the little vial of perfumed oil ? the recipe copied from the ancients, it was very spicy cinnamon fragrance worn by the men and the women.
http://www.levity.com/alchemy/islam24.html
Please when you can, come tell us all about it and photos if you were allowed :-)

Charleen love your Brug ...hope you, Moon and Loise are holding up ok with the heat ...looks shocking on the map, all red.

Once again sorry about the Mouse Melon thing, the fellow in the video said his favourite cucumber was the West Indian cucumber so failing the Mouse Melon that may be an option for anyone wanting to try something new.

Where is Elaine ?, I hope the weather isn't being too much of a nuisance for you.

How are you Northern ladies coping ? are you cold too?

my puter reception gets a bit dodgy after the blackouts and rain,

Anthony and Theresa I hope you are not freezing ...stay warm !

Colleen how are your plants coping with this weather, mine are mostly sticks now ...too much wind.

Well I hope everyone can pop in for a hot chocolate ...here have one on me

Thumbnail by chrissy100

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 20, 2011
6:21 AM

Post #8703217

Good evening everyone. It has been quiet today. Everyone must have been busy. I had to do some running around to get things ready for the boys and then make room in the carport for John to back his motorbike trailer in there tomorrow night so he doesn't have to take the bikes off. I hope the weather stays as nice as it was today for the weekend. Lovely and sunny and just a light breeze. Chrissy my brugs are looking really good considering the frosts and temps that we've had. I will take some pics of them tomorrow and show you. The Sugar Pink is looking really good and the other 5 are great. Bucks Fizz has about 4 x 3" bud and a couple of little ones. The pod on Mango Kornet is still there, fingers crossed. The pods on RFP are still there too. No other pods that I've seen though. I got my Eden Seeds catalogue yesterday and they have the West Indian Gherkin in there. 40 seeds for $3.20 +$4.00 P/H I hope everyone is well. There is a bit of colds going round here but nothing too bad. touch wood. Well I'll say goodnight to everyone and I'll pop back in tomorrow. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 20, 2011
2:45 PM

Post #8704360

Good morning everyone. Shopping day so as usual I'm rushing in and out again. I have to leave earlier today as I have to call in to the CFA offices to drop off the annual treasurers report before the lovely lady goes out on her rounds .
I'll be looking for orphans today and enjoying a nice lunch. We have our favorite cafe for shopping day lunches.
Yesterday was cold but fine and this morning is fine but freezing cold. . I potted some seeds and moved a few little pots around.
I have an old gas bar b q here that I picked up for a dollar a few years ago at the local Lions auction. I have used it as potting bench but lately it has just been sitting in the corner. I decided that it would do better as a bench in the greenhouse. Didnt take long to wheel it around once I removed the very heavy steel plates. Fits nicely in the greenhouse and I can put lots of things on it.
Better move as I have to do the banking before we leave. I do it all on the internet so bills are paid before I get to the shops and start spending.
Have a great day and keep warm.
Jean.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 20, 2011
3:07 PM

Post #8704385

Forgot to leave the morning & afternoon tea out. Here you are
Pumpkin Cheesecake.
Enjoy.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 20, 2011
3:31 PM

Post #8704423

Good morning Jean and everyone. Jean enjoy your lunch. I'll bet there's a blueberry muffin in there somewhere. It's cold and sunny here again this morning. I do hope the weather stays like this for the whole weekend. I'll be able to get the garden finished out the front then. I have a Butter Bomb ready to go out there, but haven't decided what else. Cameren is so excited about going camping that he can hardly talk. He's a bit worried about me staying home but I told him that I have to babysit the dogs because there's wombat holes where they are going. Have to get some washing done so had better start to move. I'll be back later. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 21, 2011
12:13 AM

Post #8705301

Boy, I can here an echo in here...never mind, I will just talk to myself...
Chrissy, unfortunately I was disappointed with the Tutankhamun exhibition...I went to the other one too and loved it.
This time for some reason, even though it was wonderfully presented...it left you feeling " Is that all there is?"
Even my grandaughter felt the same way...of course there were some amazing artifacts but when you arrived at the end...it left you feeling as though something was missing...

The perfume was there and to be perfectly honest, the gift shop was more interesting...just about everything inside the exhibition was on sale in the gift shop...some of the jewellery was $4000...
Definitely NO cameras inside..so Stephie took lots in the gift shop...she looks great in Cleopatra's head gear.
But the rest of the Museum was brilliant, the Dinosaurs, the Insects, the animals...the 2 little houses from one of the streets of inner Melbourne, put into an area that they have recreated from the early 1900's... and the forest in the centre of the Museum was wonderful...we were trying to photograph
those little blue wrens that I love and along came a Bower Bird with a blue bottle top for his nest.

He promptly dropped it into his collection which was about 5ft from us...he had made a beautiful nest..
and it was in the shape of a perfect bower...a work of art in itself.
I had never seen one before and what a handsome bird they are... the most beautiful navy blue plumage...the staff leave blue objects everywhere and he has collected most of them.

We were there in total, 5 hrs and we had no hope of seeing it all...which is fine by me, because we will be back again soon...I haven't been there for about 7 yrs...and thoroughly enjoyed it...
Steph was so taken with the little houses and everything else, that she is coming back with us...
She took 61 photos and we looked at them all on the way home in the bus...now I have to take my usb
key to her place and get them from her.
A really great day.
Dianne

This message was edited Jul 22, 2011 8:18 AM
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 21, 2011
2:08 AM

Post #8705438

Does anyone know what this plant is please?

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2011
6:02 AM

Post #8705615

Pt is a gorgeous little thing. The leaves remind me of my squill, but it sure doesn't bloom that pretty...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2011
8:14 AM

Post #8705850

Hi Colleen. Give a look at this link for Lachenalia "rosebeth"

http://plants.newplant.co.za/pub/size/8/page/80

I do believe that 21st is DonnyBrook's (Louise) birthday. Best wishes for a happy day.

This message was edited Jul 21, 2011 10:18 AM

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2011
8:50 AM

Post #8705920

Very pretty. Happy Birthday Louise. Morning glory bloom...

gardengal
se qld
Australia

July 21, 2011
1:16 PM

Post #8706569

Happy birthday Louise. :) Don't eat too much cake.

Pam

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 21, 2011
2:27 PM

Post #8706766

Happy Birthday Louise...hope you have a lovely day...
I know it's a boy, but I thought that it was sweet...
It's a bit different these days, isn't it.

This message was edited Jul 22, 2011 8:32 AM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 21, 2011
3:56 PM

Post #8706940

Good morning everyone. I am here, I just get sidetracked looking at threads. I am sad. I didnt find any orphans or even a plant on the other benches, that I wanted.
I may find one today as I have to pop over to Casterton for a while. Last time going through there I saw a stall with plants, maybe it will be there again
My bulbs from eBay arrived yesterday anyway. I bought a lot of Dutch Iris in shades of brown and purple. Very unusual .
Also a large bag of purple tulips. Yes, I like purple.
I am waiting on some seeds of rhododendrons and crepe myrtles . I am going to try them from seed to see if they do better here than trying to grow larger plants.
funny thing though, my camellia 'Donation' seems to do so well. I still have my orphan rhodo in a pot and it should flower soon.
Be interesting to see how the seeds do. I love crepe myrtles but they are practically unobtainable around here.

Sorry Louise, I had your special day written down but didnt check.
♬ ♪ ♭ ♫♪ HAPPY BIRTHDAY LOUISE ♬ ♪ ♭ ♫♪
I do hope you received something nice from Hank and the girls.

Hello Charleen. I bet Charley has lots of birthdays so he can get cake.

Hello Colleen, you were right, there was a muffin in my lunch order, but mixed berry not blueberry.

Hello Dianne. What a pity that exhibition wasnt as good as you thought. it would be
I have never been to the 'new' museum . I only remember the beautiful old one at the top of town. I used to wander around during my lunch hour when working in the city. It was free and there were so many things to see.
I loved looking in all the corners at the long boxes and glass shelves,panoramas. cabinets of glassware , things hanging from the ceiling , etc etc...
From the parts I have seen in the new one, hardly anything of the old is there. Would have been better to keep the old as it was and build the new one for newer things.
I am sure even todays blase kids would love seeing all the old world exhibits I loved.
It seems that the powers that be in charge of these things think history is old hat. I pity them with their so called up market outlook.
Those were the days when the lovely art gallery was there too.
Another institution gone over to the modern "arty" mob.
They should look at how real art is displayed in the mansions where it was enjoyed. Lovely dark panelled walls, leather seats to sit and contemplate the pictures.
Better get off the soapbox. At my age I may fall off it. lol.

Hello moon, Pam, Karen and Chrissy.
I hope all is well with Teresa over there .
Elaine, I hope you are keeping dry and warm too.
Anthony, I am surrounded by bulbs now. You have made addicts of a lot of us.

Better move or I will never get to Casterton. Here a lovely cake for you Louise. I'm sure we will all enjoy a piece with you
Enjoy the day and keep dry. I see more floods on the news so I hope all is well with everyone.
happy day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 21, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8707002

Happy Birthday Louise. I hope you have a wonderful day. Thanks Moon for the ID. The boys are all excited. Uncle John is here and they'll be off as soon as everything is loaded. They are going to freeze. Glad I had the sense to say that I would babysit the dogs. Ahhhhh 2 whole days for me. My sister from Adelaide went to that exhibition. She said it was amazing. She absolutely loved the museum and said that she would plan another trip over there. Well I must go and get dressed, sitting here in my "purple" dressing gown Jean. be back when the boys have gone. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2011
4:29 PM

Post #8707009

Hey Coleen...did ya get a chance to check out the link on your plant?
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 21, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8707051

A birthday? I love celebrating birthdays.

Happy Birthday Louise. Hope you have a really lovely day.

Sorry, the pic didn't show.

This message was edited Jul 21, 2011 4:44 PM

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 21, 2011
8:38 PM

Post #8707598

Whoo hooooo. They're on their way and the house is quiet. I've put the A/C back on and am going to do nothing today, unless I want to. Am just having some heated up leftovers for lunch and seeing what's going on in here. Yes Moon I had a bit of a look around on that link but not very much yet. I 'm sure that is what it is. Thanks again. Well off to see what everyone is up to on other sites and then I will veg out and relax. Colleen
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 21, 2011
10:03 PM

Post #8707734

Thats nothing to be ashamed of Jean,.I had 13 more arrive today,.,.ooooooooH! My little crocus assortment is starting to bloom,.,.i always buy bulbs from the trade stall at the flower shows,the quality is really good!!!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 21, 2011
10:34 PM

Post #8707762

Loise ☻/ * ˛˚ 。♥ღ♡* ˚ ˚✰˚ ˛★* 。☻/ * ˛˚ 。♥ღ♡* ˚ ˚✰˚ ˛★* 。♥ღ♡˛° 。* ° ˚ • ★ *˚ .♥ღ♡。
./ \ ♥ღ♡˚. ★ *˛ ˚ ✰。˚ ˚♥ღ♡。* ˛˚ 。✰˚* ˚ ♥ღ♡
/▌*˛˚ღ •˚ ˚sprinkle a lot of BIRTHDAY WISHES ♥
./ \ ♥ღ♡˚. ★ *˛ ˚ ✰。˚ ˚♥ღ♡。* ˛˚ 。✰˚* ˚ ♥ღ♡ HAPPY BIRTHDAY !

Hmmm everyone is getting Spring Fever I see ...not that long to go.

Enjoy your quiet time Colleen, I bet by tonight you will be missing them.

Dianne what a shame you didn't get to enjoy your visit, I have never forgotten the Sydney one, it was wonderful.

I am not surrounded by bulbs but understand your excitement, one obsession at a time for me, though I love all plants.
I enjoy watching your excitement though, Anthony I understand perfectly how you feel.
I hope everyone is surviving the wild weather ...it is better to get the winds out of the way before Summer .
NZ copped it again this morning ...hope you are ok Teresa
Charleen and Moon and everyone up States Side are roasting to death, it sounds pretty horrific, stay out of the heat if you can.
I hope all goes well for you all.
Enjoy your Arvo what's left of it everyone ...a big wave :-) to one and all.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 22, 2011
2:43 AM

Post #8707933

man alive!!-yes,they are some mean temperatures the USA people are experiencing

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2011
8:24 AM

Post #8708376

The biggest problem with this heat wave is that it is hitting areas of the country that do not normally have temps anywhere near that hot...and many of those folks do not have air conditioners to help allay the heat. sadly when the weather does this, we lose a lot of the elderly/infirm to heat strokes/dehydration.Even in areas that do have temps like this, having them for extended periods of time takes its toll.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 22, 2011
1:12 PM

Post #8708939

East coast up where Donnie Brook lives is having a rough time, I hear. Poor folks have never experienced this heat. Our heat is bad but the humidity is what makes it feel even warmer. It has been a tough year on folks...
Thank you for your concerns.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 22, 2011
3:08 PM

Post #8709163

The sun is shining and it is a glorious morning here. Now, if the winds would just stay away... I am so sorry others are experiencing such terrible weather conditions. I can't bear the heat and wouldn't last long in the US at the moment.

Karen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 22, 2011
3:08 PM

Post #8709168

Good morning everyone. Maybe I had better stop complaining of the cold . it would not be good to have it so very hot either. I do feel for all the elderly and sick in the USA with all that heat. Different if you are used to a bit of summer heat but to have it thrust upon you in milder climates is hard. The little ones too , would be feeling it badly.
Louise, I do hope you and family are managing to cope.
Charleen, you take care too.
I will only be here a few minutes to say hello , then putout something nice for you all. Hubby has a friend coming and needs me to give him a hand to tidy his work area so they can get in and do whatever it is that men do in their sheds.
Hubby does his building of his radio amplifiers out there and tends to get messy.
I will get out in the garden later and finish planting my bulbs.

Hello to Colleen, Dianne, Pam, Karen, Teresa, Elaine and Anthony.
I will leave you this yummy Devils Food Cake
Have a great day and try to spend some time in the garden enjoying the signs of spring.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

July 22, 2011
4:09 PM

Post #8709288

Good morning everyone!

I posted this pic of a plant on another thread on this forum as well as other forums but no one has answered.
I cannot find out the name. I have asked lots of knowledgeable gardeners but they do not know.

Can any one please help me????

Thumbnail by Marleneann

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

July 22, 2011
4:28 PM

Post #8709318

Close up of new growth.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 22, 2011
4:31 PM

Post #8709322

It is a cute plant. we have something similiar called a Wandering Jew plant. Wonder if it could be in same faimily????
Think I'll google and see...
http://www.houseplantsforyou.com/wandering-jew/
I don't think so. But seems like I've seen it before...sorry...

This message was edited Jul 22, 2011 6:34 PM

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2011
4:52 PM

Post #8709361

Marleneann, it looks an awful lot like the Pellonia repens, often called Watermelon begonia, even though it isn't a begonia

http://jamesmissier.blogspot.com/2010/09/trailing-watermelon-begonia-pellionia.html

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 22, 2011
5:26 PM

Post #8709445

Good get, Jean/moon...that looks exactly like it...Marlene will be pleased.
I haven't seen it before...the growing instructions are handy too..

I will save a piece of that yummy cake for afternoon tea, thanks Jean..
Enjoy the peace while it lasts, Colleen...do your own thing...hope the frosts this morning didn't do to much damage.
Dianne.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8709454

Thanks Dianne. I was relying on a memory of one my Grandmother had and she has been gone for more than 30 years. Funny how some things just stick with you.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 22, 2011
7:19 PM

Post #8709661

You clever thing Moon ...I thought of a few things but I have never seen that kind of waxy before. Cute name. I thought it looked like some sort of Hoya.
Well it's cold and wet here (not really terrible cold but dampness makes it feel colder I guess (about 55F) sorry ladies I know you would love that right now. Wish I could send it to you.

I hope everyone is having a great Saturday.
back after lunch :-)

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 22, 2011
8:00 PM

Post #8709810

Jean, I went outside to check on those ties and look what I found when I came back in...

Anthony, may the best team win...Go Bombers..

This message was edited Jul 23, 2011 2:02 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 22, 2011
8:53 PM

Post #8709876

Hes waiting for the biscuit to go with the cuppa.
Very cute.
I just posted on the brug forum. I found the ties I want on BGI. Silly me , should have looked there first.
Jean

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

July 22, 2011
9:03 PM

Post #8709883

themoonhowl...I think you got it!
Pellonia repens, often called Watermelon begonia.
Thanks so much.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 23, 2011
1:54 AM

Post #8710144

who are these bombers?
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 23, 2011
2:25 AM

Post #8710156

nice shake we had, 5.1, the cat never stirred, I woke up & just waited for the rock & rolling to be over & went back to sleep...
it was from the same fault as the September 7.1 quake.
It is bitterly cold here, supposed to get snow to sea level & sleet tomorrow...
we'll see.
Dog club was cancelled due to the forecast, I can sleep in tomorrow morning - first time in a long time!
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 23, 2011
2:46 AM

Post #8710162

stay safe,..,glad someone else is cold,its freezing here,.,.car froze over 3 times this morning,..,home by 9am [from groceries] and cranked the fire up

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2011
6:58 AM

Post #8710409

Hope you all have a good day...lots of rain in our forecast. Every drop is sorely needed.

Marleneanne, glad to help..it can be so frustrating to not know who a plant is. Chrissy, my hubby kept saying it was a Hoya also. He almost had me convinced I was mis-remembering Gramma's plant.grin

Dianne, that is a beautiful Kitty...except for the eyes, he could be a twin to my old lady Mea...better known as Princess Grouchypants.

Teresa...continued good thoughts to you. Hubby says you folks need to find out who is making Mother Nature so angry and "vote them off the Island".

Stay warm and be safe.

Moon
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 23, 2011

Post #8711115

Good morning everyone. Time for a move as the path was getting long, so we have gone here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1199461/
It is very dark here this morning with more rain overnight . Nothing much was done yesterday and looks like nothing will be done today either.
Teresa, best place to be in the winter weather, stay in bed.
The animals must be getting very used to the shaking when they dont bother to wake.
Charleen and Moon, I hope you are doing okay in all that heat. You could post it over to me . I hope Louise is not getting too much of it either. Can be awful for people when they are not used to it.
Hello Chrissy, Pam, Karen and Dianne.
Colleen, are you enjoying the quiet ?
I had better get out in the kitchen and see whats there to feed you all.
Have a happy day wherever you are.
Try this lovely lot of Lemon Bars.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 23, 2011

Post #8711190

I adore that cat pic, ready to start work, complete with keyboard and coffee...

Karen

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 218 Jan 22, 2014 3:49 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America