Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Recipes: Need help locating recipe

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 5, Views: 140
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8667063

Years ago a friend gave me a recipe for a crock pot dish containing:
Ground Beef, pork sausage, onion, kidney beans, lima beans, black beans, mustard, ketchsup, BBQ sauce, and garlic and ????Put all together and cook for 6 hours. I know I am missing a lot of the other things that go into it.
I cannot find the recipe and would like to make it for the Fourth of July dinner.
Any help, Please
lovediggin
Bryan, TX

July 2, 2011
9:39 AM

Post #8667940

Although I have not made this recipe, it looks very good.
Google allrecipes.com and enter "baked meaty beans" in the search box
If I knew more about my computer I could copy the recipe and post it here. Have a great, safe 4th!
God bless America!
muttlover
Quincy, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2011
3:16 PM

Post #8668436

This isn't a crock pot recipe but it sure sounds similar. My aunt gave me this recipe:
Bean Bake
Fry 8 slices of bacon. In same pan brown 1 lb. hamburger with a small chopped onion. Drain the juice from the meat.
Mix together in a bowl 1/2 c. catsup, 3/4 c. brown sugar, 1/2 c.sugar, 1 t. salt, 2 t. vinegar, 1 t. mustard.
Drain and mix 1 can each of pork and beans, kidney beans and lima beans. Mix everything together and bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.

annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 2, 2011
4:16 PM

Post #8668534

thanks, I'll give them a try
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2011
4:55 PM

Post #8668597

This is sounding like a weird take on Brunswick stew in the south or perhaps maybe Booyah in the north. There is no regional American dish that includes black beans so it must be an invented recipe. I can't help you with an exact replication of this dish but suggest you use a Brunswick stew recipe or Booyah, whichever suits your fancy. The BBQ sauce, mustard and ketchup components are ingredients used for a Georgia or Carolina vinegar based Q sauce which is making me think it is a Brunswick stew. Brunswick stew used to be whatever hunted small game meats landed in a pot, corn, limas, tomatoes, sometimes potatoes and beans. The beans were usually fresh. It's more refined now and might include sausage, chicken, beef, etc. rather than squirrel, possum or groundhog. :>) I make a Q sauce with ketchup, mustard, apple cider vinegar, granulated garlic, black pepper and cayenne. Recipes are available on line. They usually use pepper flakes in the Carolinas instead of cayenne but I think this this is where you are trying to go with what is an entree stew. Great idea for the 4th!
Laurel
addicted2plants
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2011
10:50 AM

Post #8690164

Don't know if you have seen Cooks Country Magazine but they have a section in there that people ask others for favorite recipies that they have lost. If you've never seen Cook's Country or its cousin Cook's Illustrated check them out! They also have website that has subscription but it is SO AWESOME that it is worth it (No I don't work for them LOL)

The other thing they have besides recipes is taste tests where they tell you which olive oil, or canned tomato etc. tested out the best and product reviiews like coffee makers and pans. It's not always the expensive one that comes out best and they have saved me lots of time and money on products. My only wish is that they'd start doing more low fat versions of the recipes. Cream sauce is o.k. for kids but I'm growing wider not taller LOL

Hope this helps!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America