Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Pottery, Clay and Ceramics: glazing suggestions

Communities > Forums > Pottery, Clay and Ceramics
bookmark
Forum: Pottery, Clay and CeramicsReplies: 16, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2011
7:33 PM

Post #8667153

evening clay kids!
Hope everyone is enjoying the upcoming weekend.. stay safe!

I fired several pieces in my kiln.. red clay and red/black combined clay. I have been experimenting with glazes and I am just not happy. I have made several test tiles.. and could use my old reliable glazes such as Amaco's PEACOCK, Tahitian Blue, Bluebell,.. but I wanted something else. red clay is sometimes harder to glaze becasue of the colors as is red/black or black clay. WHat I impressed were leaves and used bark around the leaf so I like something that will puddle nicely and also make the leaf pop out. Any suggestions?

deb
Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 5, 2011
6:45 AM

Post #8673325

You say red clay is "sometimes" harder to glaze? Heh... that's a little bit of an understatement. :) I quit using red clay almost as soon as I started, because it's REALLY tough to get pretty colors that pop on red clay. I think that was the whole reason Majolica was invented. Because that's the only way to get pretty colors on red clay. You have to cover the red clay with something white first - which is adding extra work for you, since you can start with white clay to begin with.

If your stuff is already bisqued, you are kinda locked into having to just put a white glaze on first and then whatever other colors you want over the white. Fortunately, you can pick and choose where you put the white glaze - so if you want a leaf to pop - just put the white glaze on the leaf. Which, you obviously know to do...

Or, if you want to continue using red clay, there's a couple of things you can do BEFORE firing to get a white coat...
1. When the object is leatherhard, paint on a coat of white (or colored) engobe or slip.
2. If the object is greenware, spray on a couple coats of terra sigillata.

Terra sigillata is actually very nice for red clay. It's not as thick as engobe or slip so you won't lose details. I have a recipe and easy directions for making it in a couple hours (mostly wait time) ... but it's in my big binder at the studio at the moment, so let me know if you want me to drag it home!

Are there just other colors you want to glaze your stuff? What kind of colors do you want?

Rose

This message was edited Jul 5, 2011 8:49 AM
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2011
7:28 AM

Post #8673404

Hi PLants,
I LOVE red clay becasue it seems to show details more then white...but I am limited to the same glazes over and over again... usually Amaco's Peacock, Tahitian Blue, Bluebell, and Turquoise.

I would love to find colors that make the leaves pop.
I never thought of using a white glaze first.. that works well? I don't have any colored engobe or slip... guess I'll need to get some.

If you think red is hard.. try BLACK Clay.

ANy hints and advice is most welcomed! I am going to try using a white glaze then a different colored glaze. THat sounds interesting!

Deb
Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 5, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8674774

You might be interested in this link to a Ceramic Arts Daily post about slip and engobe decoration, and there's a couple of recipes on the bottom, one of them is for low-fire white. The article seems to indicate that you could apply this particular engobe either at any time, leatherhard, bisque, or greenware.

Cone 04 - 3 White Engobe

Kaolin 20
Calcined Kaolin 10
Talc 25
Calcium Borate(or Frit 3110) 15
Silica 15
Borax 5
Zircopax 10

http://ceramicartsdaily.org/ceramic-supplies/ceramic-raw-materials/slip-engobe-or-underglaze-robin-hopper-demystifies-three-common-pottery-materials/
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2011
8:30 AM

Post #8675881

I love using red clay, too. Sometimes I just leave it unglazed and put an iron oxide wash over the details to bring them out. I also use white low-fire as embellishment, and sometimes carve design into the red, then put white engobe over all and use a steel scraper or sponge on the surface. That leaves the white clay in the carved lines.

Those techniques won't give you the "puddling" you want that you can only get from glaze, but they might send you off in a different direction altogether!
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 6, 2011
1:30 PM

Post #8676524

where do I get an oxide wash? and engobe? I don't have either of those so I impress the white clay into the red then lift it out could I use a clear glaze over that?

deb
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2011
2:16 PM

Post #8676595

Engobe is just another name for slip, as is terra sigillata. The recipes for them sometimes add a few other ingredients, but you can just make white slip from white clay and water. Typically they're painted on greenware before bisque-firing.

Oxide is a name for the concentrated mineral powders used to color clays and glazes. You can buy them almost anywhere glazes are sold. Iron oxide which is what makes terra-cotta clay red. I use iron oxide and mix it with water to make the a wash. It needs to be fairly thin so it's easy to paint or spray onto slightly damp bisque. After a few minutes, I sponge it after to leave the iron in the detail lines & crevices like antiqueing on wood. Iron oxide fires dark brown, but oxides come in lots of different colors. I use cobalt like water-color paint and put it over unfired white glaze for my blue & white tiles.

You can mix oxides with slip to make colored slips/engobes. It only takes a little bit of oxide to add a lot of color.

There are also colorants called Mason Stains that I haven't used myself, but I think are used the same way.

Clear glaze or semi-transparent glazes can be put over fired engobes, or over bisque-fired pieces that have had a sponged oxide wash put on them.
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 6, 2011
2:45 PM

Post #8676637

IMA,
Can you come to Virginia??? :-)

deb
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2011
7:56 PM

Post #8677217

I WAS there 34 years ago---where were you THEN?? LOL!
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2011
7:14 AM

Post #8677889

34 years ago? We were in MCAS CHerry Point NC! LOLOL
deb
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2011
9:44 AM

Post #8678195

We were in an apt. in Virginia Beach while Bill did c-school at Norfolk...haha!
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2011
10:58 AM

Post #8678317

we also lived in 29 Palms Ca... is that closer to you?

deb
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2011
11:38 AM

Post #8678385

Closer than Virginia...LOL!

Gilroy is about 30 miles south of San Jose---we're considered part of the "Bay Area". We ended up here because Bill's last duty station was the NavFac at Big Sur in '81.
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2011
12:36 PM

Post #8678526

well I guess we are cousins... Your husband was NAVY? Mine is retired USMC!!
deb
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8678847

Cousins, indeed!
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2011
4:55 PM

Post #8679028

WHOOOHOOOO! I have a cousion !
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2011
9:56 PM

Post #8679553

I've always said that family is who you choose----the rest are just relatives...LOL!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Pottery, Clay and Ceramics Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Kiln fired clay questions... WUVIE 144 Sep 1, 2009 3:13 PM
Claylovers' Topics: Bios / Work / Glazes / Firings, etc! #2 zenpotter 66 Jan 8, 2009 7:22 PM
Pottery,clay jcoats123 25 Jan 11, 2009 3:01 AM
Pottery,clay,ceramics,kilns, firing, sculpture, etc. jcoats123 192 Sep 10, 2009 7:52 PM
completed one pot jcoats123 6 Jun 23, 2013 9:02 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America