Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Central Midwest Gardening: July 2011 Dry and Hot!

Communities > Forums > Central Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Central Midwest GardeningReplies: 201, Views: 1,058
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 2, 2011
4:55 AM

Post #8667476

It now so dry and hot ~ drought! I has to keep water at noon for 2 days and it will water again today later on...

Got 4 tomatoes yesterday and still wait for turnips and beets so slowly... Also got baby squashes grow good I hope it won't get rot again or mold on squashes' leafs...

Yesterday, my step son took me with my van to Springfield and try to get apply for house rent so it not bad to live in Springfield but I am not planning to move there quickly so I stay in Joplin and thinking about moving some place near city like farm something...So I drove back home and there is big accident on West I-44 that I don't want sit and wait to move like march ants to ants so I drive to back way road to short cut road to next I-44 again so it made clear than traffic waiting so long way back! So, I don't want heard about happen on I-44 accident...

Block raised bed - tomatoes, carrot and squashes...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2011
12:01 PM

Post #8668155

WOW Rusty ... there have been quite a few accidents on I-44 lately. There were 2 semi's involved in an accident yesterday or day before. Saw on the new the traffic all backed up. I wonder if that was the one.

Springfield is a nice town. When I lived in Dora I dated a guy in Springfield. It was about 2 hours from my place to his.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8668590

Maybe you can find a small town in your general area and move there. You can always move to Noel and become a river bum. lol. I'll be down there in a few weeks for a weekend camping and hanging in the river.

I have several baby squash growing like crazy and baby cukes almost ready to be picked. Hope my dad doesn't eat them first!! Especially since he ate the first one! lol. Been picking strawberries regularly too. Eating them straight off the vine. Sooo good!!

One of these days I will get my pics on here. I tried last night but it didn't work. I'll try again later.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2011
5:25 AM

Post #8669227

Happ, I get to rushing around and usually forget to check the B'days :o(

Awesome gifts! I think I have your turtle! Mine was also a gift!. It's spo neat I can't bear to put it outside to be stolen. Altho, no one has taken anything yet.

Awww on losing the lilies. That's too bad :o(

I have the trumpets and need to separate them this fall and spread them over the yard. Same with all my lilies. They need fresh fertile dirt. I seee I've lost Oriental Girl :o( I had two bulbs and struggled to keep them going. They just got smaller and smaller. I also have Sumatra and the Phlox is burying it. My poor poor lilies. They all need care!

Will, if you have time, you will have to correct his mistakes, or catch him. Set him up with a bunch of one's or sevens and watch him. If he goes to the wrong pile stop him! I know easier said than done. Is he a new hire too?

Birder, it's funny how people will stay in an area when there are cooler places to live. We get hot and humid, but I would hate to move to another state!

I do envy your Purple Martins.

Pepper, I have Mona Lisa and she just opened. I have to bend down to sniff, but I do, daily! I also have StarGazer. She's a bit taller. Casa Blanca looks me in the eye, LOL!

Crit, July and August are hot, and dry, for us.

http://www.ladybuglady.com/goldenbeetle.html

Bernie, I have volunteer allysum. I'll have to watch for the bees. I know I have tiny ones on the bugbane flowers.

Birder, I wonder if you have a Martagon Lily. I have Black Beauty and it likes shade.

Will, we used to go boating on the Mississippi all the time when I was a kid. I can still hear the water lapping the boat landing.

AHA! It was a flower after all! Very nice!

Thanks Rusty! I have beets and am waiting on the tomatoes, LOL! My turnips petered out.

You had quite a day on the road. I hope the rent assistance requeast goes thru!

Nice raised bed and I love the marigolds planted there too!

Pepper, river bum, LOL!! YUM on the strawberries and I hope you get a cuke!!

DH is fogging the yard and I am so glad. We've never fogged before. It works!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 3, 2011
6:06 AM

Post #8669283

Here's an overview of our market just before opening on Saturday. Nearly full of vendors.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2011
9:34 AM

Post #8669653

billy ... thanks for the link. That is neat. I'd never seen one of them.

Love that market ... would like to be there.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8670334

Still hot and humid. Ugh!!!!!!! But it was tolerable this morning and now it's tolerable again. I even weeded a bit earlier. lol

Still don't have pics downloaded. I think I'm just lazy. LOL
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8670361

My hollyhock opened the other day!! I like the contrast against the house.

Thumbnail by pepper23

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2011
5:04 PM

Post #8670375

Close up

Thumbnail by pepper23

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2011
6:05 PM

Post #8670482

I cleaned out 3 flower beds and planted my hosta. They look so nice. Was getting cloudy and not good to take pics, so will do them and post tomorrow. It was 105* here today, but I worked in the shade, drank my gatorade and jumped in the pool every once in a while to cool down. Wasn't bad at all doing all that. Came inside a time or two also. My DH thinks I'm nuts.

Hope everyone else had a great day too!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2011
4:31 AM

Post #8671021

Bernie, that is a lot of vendors!

Crit, I've had one myself, but no more. They are beautiful!

Pepper, LOL over being lazy :o)

Wow, is that a gorgeous hollyhock! And I wasn't sure I would like doubles.

Crit, 105!!! That is way too hot!

I don't have the pool, but I do mostly what you do. Popsicle break, cool off and go back out. I hate to waste a single day if it isn't raining.

Happy 4th!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 4, 2011
6:35 AM

Post #8671194

Happy 4th everyone! Stay safe!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2011
5:36 PM

Post #8674649

Supposed to be Creme de Cassis. It doesn't quite match the description but I still like it.

Here's a shot of the whole plant. Not very big yet but working on it.

Thumbnail by pepper23

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2011
5:46 PM

Post #8674676

No, billyp, he isn't a new hire. I don't know how long he's been there but prolly less than 6 mos. Thanks, I may do something like that you suggested, but they haven't said thats happened in a couple of weeks, if it has, they haven't said. Here is my planter today, but it was getting kinda dark tonite so it's not very bright in the photo, even with the flash. Yes, nice Hollyhock there, Pepper. My Hollyhock seedlings have leaves like that but no flowers yet. I have Black ones and some called 'Summer Carnival', yet to plant.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 5, 2011
6:43 PM

Post #8674799

Moving to another state, I am sure, has it's plus and minuses. There's always good and bad in every area.

Martagon lily...hmm. Maybe so, I ordered them from some catalog, but I can't remember which one, and I don't seem to have kept any info about this lily. I will try to take a picture of it when it blooms and see if someone can ID it for me. I do remember it is suppose to be the last lily to bloom in the season. I think it blooms a rosy pink color.
I put human hair around my lily. I thought it was the 'Casa Blanca'. But the deer have left a few blooms and it is a Stargazer lily. Although I really like the Stargazer Lily, I know I had planted the 'Casa Blanca' there also. I have lost it twice now. I keep buying it and trying to find a place that it will live, but it disappears each year.

The Farmer's Mkt. looks really neat. I like Farmer's Markets. I went to one this evening. They had tomatoes for 2.00/#. They also had Mo. Sugar Maple Syrup! Cabbages 12" wide.

I don't have any tomatoes yet. We have lots of yummy cucumbers. The yellow squash and zucchinis are doing well. We slice lengthwise and grill them. Very tasty

I pull up my hollyhocks that come up. They get rust on them. :(

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2011
3:27 AM

Post #8675324

Pepper, be glad the plant is short right now, LOL! I've seen common ones over 10' tall!

What color was it supposed to be?

Will, love the wet look in the planter box, LOL! It's growing nicely!

Maybe he's taking a better look even tho they thought it was you. I'd keep my eyes open and don't let him slip up!

Birder, I've had good luck with Casa Blanca. I lost Muscadet, and this year, Oriental Girl. Oriental was always a small spindly plant so I'm not suprised. Muscadet was a real loss with huge strong smelling blooms.

I got spray for the Hollyhock rust, but haven't had to use it yet.

I've been working outside. Still pulling weeds and even moving a few things around. I walked the length of my property on the road and took notes of what I didn't like. I fixed a couple things and will have to wait on some of the others.

What I really need to do is dig ALL the Oriental Lilies, find a better place and replant with better dirt I mixed up last year! If I don't a few are going to dwindle to nothing!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 6, 2011
4:44 AM

Post #8675423

Well, we are going to have a cool down from triple digets to mid 90's for about 3 days starting tomorrow. Sure wish we could get some heat induced showers since nothing in the weather scape is giving us anything.

Planter box looks great Will.

Well, back to work today. I'd better get going. Have a great day everyone!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2011
9:57 AM

Post #8676073

Hi everyone. Boy was I a busy girl over the holiday like you Crit. I went nonstop cleaning and weeding. It was embarrsing how many weeds I pulled out of those gardens. Hate taking pictures of the gardens, cause I see all the stuff sitting around from me working on them, I seem to never get it put away, rakes, hoses, and just stuff! rolf.

Hollyhocks will reseed and it goes back to the parent color, not the beautiful color you planted. I don't mind so much cause I have them in a cottage wild garden area. Didn't plan that garden that way it is just turning out that way...rofl. Other than the hosta bed I don't think I have planned anything...altho I am thinking the area around my pond I am going to turn into lily hill... ;) Sounds like a good name, I must have a ton of daylilies to get planted and I was looking at the earth berm on the west side of the house and I think it would make a great lily hill...rofl. Either the temps are perfect for my daylilies, but they are blooming so much better this year and seems like they have been blooming forever. I took pics and will have to post some. I have 3 daylilies I have the tags to but I am telling you they are sooooo hard to tell apart it is making me crazy.

Well have a great day guys and gals!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2011
6:24 PM

Post #8677019

I plan on cutting off the stalk when it's done blooming and before it sets seed so that I don't get any coming up right there. I have one other hollyhock there that's the same and a another one next to my switchgrass that won't bloom this year. Too small. I need to mulch it again too so I don't have to worry about anyone mowing it over. I want the hollyhocks I have now to get bigger before I allow seeds to form. Then I can put the seedlings where I want them.

Merienge Coneflower.

Thumbnail by pepper23

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 7, 2011
3:46 PM

Post #8678882

Got not much rain this morning then become hot so I notice one of my squashes that was yellow neck crook grow good and other hybrid zucchinis still growing then rot!

Yellow squash

This message was edited Jul 7, 2011 7:24 PM

Thumbnail by JuJu55

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2011
4:25 PM

Post #8678959

Hehe.. The wet look was I had just watered it! I can't post a photo of a dry planter box!
Thanks Crit. The plants in that box are getting quite sparse and leggy looking. I am afraid to prune it, I just know I'd go overboard! Boy, the rain came down in torrents here last nite.
I was doing my thing at Fedex and it was storming like crazy! I kidded some of the drivers, I said, "I hope you're windows are up!"! Of course they're windows are up, they're trucks are INSIDE of the building! Hehe.. I sometimes don't get rakes and stuff put away either, you're not alone happ!

Thanks billyp. But, I don't think they're really as worried about those kind of mis-stacks as I thought. We had 3,600 packages (between about 8 or 10 people) to sort and stack in 4 hours last nite, it's nonstop packages from the beginning to the end of the shift. Its unfortunate, but they are more concerned with quantity at Fedex I think. My shirt is completely soaked in sweat there. Sweat just covers my face, and even gets in my eyes. I tell you, before insurance kicks in, I might be in a bad way! I have a couple cavities I'd like filled! Tonite will be my one month anniversary there, yippee!

I have a white mini-blind if anybody wants it to make plant labels. It was knocked down by cats yesterday, it had several bad slats so we're not gonna use it as a mini-blind anymore.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 7, 2011
4:41 PM

Post #8678987

I thought Hollyhocks were biennials. I guess they can come back as perennials.

No rain here. We are over cast, so hope we get some rain.

I took a bucket of soapy water and made the rounds to get Jap. Beetles off of my roses. I bet I have killed 400 in two days. I put them down the garbage disposal. They are so yucky. I have made a big dent in them. There's not as many as there were previously. They are desiccating the leaves.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2011
4:49 PM

Post #8679009

Hollyhocks can be perennials as well. I've seen some monster ones. That is what I am aiming for. Plus the regular ones from seed. I will be saving seed, just not planting them just yet. Plus that is a good spot for elephant ears too. lol

My messy garden. Finally got a soaker hose in there yesterday before it rained. Now that it's rained I won't have to water for a couple days. LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 7, 2011
4:52 PM

Post #8679020

Nice. Are those tomato plants? We haven't any red ones yet.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2011
4:55 PM

Post #8679030

Tomatoes- Beefsteak and Mr. Stripey, bell peppers, crook neck squash, cucumbers, sweet potato vine, potatoes, Black Pearl pepper, Chilly Chilli pepper, and everbearing strawberries. lol. I've got it packed full. Cucumbers are already producing and the squash is working on it. Same for all others. I've had problems with blossom end rot so now have a soaker hose wound thru there to hopefully help with that.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 7, 2011
4:59 PM

Post #8679046

Wow! You are going to have some good eating! I love to get produce straight out of the garden. You are making very good use of your garden. I am not familiar with your peppers There are so many.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2011
5:04 PM

Post #8679061

Here's a bell pepper.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_cHQwaP10lAw/THUtQ9hZryI/AAAAAAAACuM/Hdhws96N0Ew/s1600/6403_tn_green%2Bpepper.jpg&imgrefurl=http://smithbakeaholic.blogspot.com/2010/08/my-10-foodie-essentials.html&usg=__A-QMjXLkm0UQR5rCueZ4f8n0zA4=&h=533&w=512&sz=14&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=6zrd5qTiAA-TMM:&tbnh=143&tbnw=126&ei=gEkWTuujAsn40gGb8YlH&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbell%2Bpepper%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26biw%3D1440%26bih%3D763%26tbm%3Disch%26prmd%3Divnse&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=882&vpy=112&dur=22&hovh=229&hovw=220&tx=139&ty=124&page=1&ndsp=29&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0&biw=1440&bih=763
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 8, 2011
4:16 AM

Post #8679739

Will, I wear a sweat band when I am working outside to keep the sweat out of my eyes when I am working.
You probably should do some "pinching" on your plants to make them bushier and not so leggy. Just do a little at a time until you get it to where you like it. The thing is it is like hair, if you pinch too much, it will grow back. ^_^

happ, I'm with you and leaving stuff around. I'm so excited when I get finished with something, I just move it out of the way of the picture so I can take it, or crop it out after taking. lol

Veggie gardens sound great everyone!

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2011
7:01 AM

Post #8679993

Thanks Crit, I wore a sweat-band 2 days ago at work. I dunno, it worked but I felt kinda cheesy like I was going to break out in a tennis serve or something! I wear glasses so the sweat getting in my vision stinks, but there's not much else to do other than wipe it off and keep going! I wear it when I mow, heck I wear a Sombrero when I mow, I don't really care what strangers think!
I have an Aunt and a cousin (Mother and Son) who did that, they're thing was: "I did the work somebody else can put away the tools", nobody ever put away tools for them.
They left tools out all the time and they ruined countless tools! A friend feeds Japanese Beetles to the fish in his pond, they gobble them up!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2011
7:16 AM

Post #8680004

Most of the time I put the tools up at night, usually really late...rofl. But it is amazing when I take a pic here is potting soil, a pot, a this, a that...rofl. Guess we are just always working in the daylight hours in the garden so there is always stuff out...rofl. Yeah I spend quite a bit of time cropping pictures...rofl, so that weed doesn't show, or that, or this isn't showing...rofl.

We had good rain yesterday so like you pepper it gave me a break from watering. The rains are coming at the right moment for me the last couple of weeks, before that we were really dry.

Crit are you still crispy down there? Boy saw the dust storms in AZ wowzer.

Birder, I thought the samething about hollyhocks being biennials, but I have them every year since I planted the first one...so I don't know, maybe new seeds sprout every year and the parent plant doesn't come back until the next year...just a wild guess.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 8, 2011
6:54 PM

Post #8681195

I used to leave my tools and my little stool after I finished pulling weeds. I'd also leave all the weeds in piles. I would always be so exhausted, I'd just walk (crawl) away. Now, I try to quit a little sooner and put my stuff away and get rid of the pulled weeds. One of my problems is I lay down the trowel etc and then I can't find it. I keep thinking they will multiply out there! I eventually find them, but sometimes it's a long time before I do. I used to get really frustrated trying to hunt down the lost tools. Since then, I have purchased several trowels. If I can't find one after searching, I just go get another. They eventually show up. It works for me.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2011
9:51 PM

Post #8681414

Birder, that sounds like me...LOL I have I know 5 pair of clippers and right now I can only find ONE! I hope I didn't leave them in the yard cause that sure isn't good for them! I usually end up leaving shovels and everything else under the covered porch...easy to grab them but not the most decorative things to have hanging around. Hate to come out and see a pile of weeds that I have pulled, but many a time that is what I see. I hate doing things twice, like pulling the weed, laying it down and then go back and pick it up...usually I am horrible if I don't dispose of them when they are in my hand the first time I don't pick them and DH mows over them and scatters the seeds some more.

Water garden tour this weekend, gonna be warm, but we will have alot of fun.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2011
5:43 AM

Post #8683338

Rusty, I hate losing garden veggies to rot! Yep, your yellow squash looks good!

Will, smiling over the UPS joke :o)

Wow, a whole month already! That went fast! That also means a month just went by for me too, LOL!

Birder, they say if you start seed in the Spring and get it out early, the Hollyhock will bloom that fall. I think you're right about it being biennial. The re-seeding makes it look perennial.

Ick! I haven't seen any J.B. here yet. I really hope you ARE making a dent in the population!! How could you not?

Pepper, thanks for clearing that up :o) I'd like monster's too!

Ah, so that's all the stuff in the garden. Packed is right!!

Crit, I've got one of those neck bandana's that you soak in cold water, on my grocery list. I'll need it for mowing this month and next.

Will, just keep wearing the sweatband. It beats wiping the eyes or having sweat tickle as it runs down your face.

Man, I feel terrible if I leave my tools out. They're an extension of me and my shovel absolutely has my vibes :o)

Happ, same messy background here too. The worst for me is to photograph a flower and the ground is weedy :o(

Birder, laughing, I carry two buckets with me. I'm not picking weeds twice either! My neighbor does the big piles and they get them with the garden cart later.

Happ, I hope the water tour was a good time!

I've spent my days watering and I think I'll be glad I did. The daylilies are big enough to put on a good show this year!

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 10, 2011
6:00 AM

Post #8683396

As I notice on the news about Joplin Tornado there is 159 dead...

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2011
7:57 AM

Post #8683632

Oh my Rusty, gosh 159 people, so very sad. When you think of that many people and everyone who knew, loved, or knew the ones affected by the death, that number is huge. It I guess actually affects us all because it was such a huge disaster and most of us around here won't view storms in the same way.

Warm one, yesterday was a fun day doing the pond tours. We had a new person go with us, so we weren't moving as fast as normal, but we saw alot. Would like to go back out today, but I have so much to do here I hate leaving also...

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 10, 2011
8:49 AM

Post #8683726

On July 14 it is my 5 years of living in Joplin, MO when I moved from Southern California in 2006...

Heat will hit up to 107 heat index later on... Yike!

Today, I was driving around the city to see how far to clean up and still long way to clean up and some business lost and found good places for business to know where at!

This message was edited Jul 10, 2011 10:51 AM
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2011
9:58 AM

Post #8683955

I imagine just figuring out where shops went that you liked Rusty, would be a feat in it self. I know it is hotter than the dickens up here! Wowzer, 107 is amazing, not good amazing but amazing. I don't think I have ever sweated this bad. The wind is out of the west south west and the covered porch is on the east so no breeze there, and the west doesn't have any shade so the wind is there but you can't stand to be there. I came in to cool off.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 10, 2011
10:14 AM

Post #8683994

It's a shame how the news people abandon these stories. Never have a follow up on how people are doing.
Japan, Joplin, & Minneapolis, nothing about any of them.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 10, 2011
10:44 AM

Post #8684055

Here's the The Globe newspaper link to read about tornado (see on left side it say Tornado):

http://www.joplinglobe.com/tornadomay2011

Scoll down to bottom - more headline news...

I just not feel well to see all the streets so confusion! I just stay away from where is bad fungus or inhale it!

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2011
10:46 AM

Post #8684061

CG, part of that is we just have too much news that doesn't mean anything trying to keep us entertained instead of informed but I know I have folks in my family who don't watch or listen to the news and maybe there are more of them than us...

On a lighter side I gotta show you this from the water garden tour, be sure and look at the bears foot, sorry the pic isn't very good. The sign the bear is holding say "please wipe your paws"

Thumbnail by happgarden

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8684705

Love the bear!!

I've been trying to read up on Joplin myself. The Kansas City Star does a good job of interviewing survivors and talking about their recoveries. I need to also read up on Japan.

I'm not enjoying this heat!! My brother is getting married on Saturday and it's supposed to be just as hot. It's an outside wedding and there's not much shade where the wedding is at so we will be sweating like crazy. I ran the soaker hose for an hour tonight on my garden.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8684745

omg pepper a wedding in this heat, everyone will be miserable! Hope they aren't doing the lace gown, and tuxes, they will melt! I don't understand outside weddings especially in Missouri, we only have 2 good days a year and who knows when those are going to happen. I have frozen at outside weddings, smothered, been rained on, and actually even had some snow fall. If I hadn't been so darn cold, the snow fall when of been pretty, but the poor bridesmaids teeth were chattering so loud you couldn't hear anything else...rofl.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2011
7:03 PM

Post #8684916

She will be in a heavy dress but the bridesmaids thought ahead and got lightweight dresses. My brother and the men will be in tuxes and the proper shoes at her instistance. LOL. They are country boys who would rather wear dark jeans and nice boots instead of slacks and dress shoes. LOL!! I told her to make sure there was shade for the older people but things fell apart at her original venue and the ranch where it's gonna be at doesn't have much shade. Everyone just has to suffer for a few hours. I'm even wearing a dress as a concession to the heat and I loathe wearing dresses!!!! Gimme jeans instead!!!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8684944

Well you might take umbrellas to use before the ceremony starts. Course don't want to block the view for others during the ceremony. Course they may luck out and get 1 of the 2 good days in Missouri...rofl.

I just mowed at 8:30, my hair is soaking wet. I don't remember the humidity being this bad before. I am sure it has been but.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2011
8:04 PM

Post #8685015

A Water Garden tour would be nice. I worked on ours more today, that is a muddy, nasty job! The stagnant water in it stunk, then it and the mud would splash on me. I was desperately trying not to slide into the deep, muddiest hole that was full of stale rainwater. I think I got the 2 sides/shelves about done. I need to complete that job so I can plant about 50 plants in and around it.
Here it is after I was done working on it for the day. - I read that concrete blocks can leach out chemicals into the water, they will be under the liner. I ran across a photo of that hole from last Summer, (over a year ago). That kinda got me more motivated to finish it, I was thinking, "this is taking me too long!".

I agree, living in Joplin with so much to rebuild would be a major setback. When a big part of you're house is destroyed or the whole house, where do you even begin, and all you're stuff is also ruined? I like the bear too. Where does one even get a concrete bear?! I'd like to get a bear too someday! Alas, I'll have to settle for a little concrete placard that says, "Welcome to my garden"!

Well, I finally sold my pickup truck! I sold it on Craigslist, I got less than a third of what I paid for it 3 years ago. I got burned when I bought it then, I wasn't told about the oil leak. I disclosed that this time, but my honesty was appreciated, the guy even said he appreciated it. I said, "thanks, it should be part of selling a vehicle, I wish I was told".

A wedding in the Summer is gonna be a hot one! My brother got married in the Summer of 05', in Dallas, TX., I won't forget that, it was quite the scorcher!

I'm gonna have to get a new sweatband, the one I have is like a permanent light brown. Thats what happens I guess from touching it, wet, so much with dirty hands over 20 years or so!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2011
8:04 PM

Post #8685016

I need to mow my place in KS., it has been 3 weeks since I've been there, but I sure would like to keep the chiggers off me this time, I still itch my feet occasionally from the last time. I might be getting me some panty hose! Altho, my friend here says OFF should work if it's on thick enuff. Heres my "bear"! lol -

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2011
4:48 AM

Post #8685359

We had an outside wedding, but it was April 23rd. Was a little windy and cool, but really quite nice. But in July!!!! Ummmmm, don't think so!

We set another high yesterday of 107! We have triple digets up to 105 predicted for the next 7 days. Please pray for rain for us. It is soooo dry. They are showing 9 days of 100+ and 11 days of just below 100 (98 or 99), not counting the next 7 days. OH MY! This is ridiculous! Our normal is 11 days 100 or above for the entire year!. Suppose to be 106 today. Pastures are burning up. We are going to have to start buying hay for them.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2011
5:53 AM

Post #8685474

Rusty, how awful to lose so many people! That would be almost half of my town.

Happ, you're right. The storms have made us so much more aware and much more fearful for those we now know. I had a lump thinking Rusty might be gone. It was so close.

I'm glad the tour was fun. Sometimes things move too fast. I like to see everything. Was I the new person? LOL!

Rusty, do you like Missouri better than California? Were you born in California?

It would be good to find where the businesses are now. I can imagine the clean-up will take a long time. I hope people had insurance so they can rebuild.

Happ, trees are so worth it. I wouldn't be able to be out if I didn't have them.

Bernie, it's all about the now. They even embellish stories just to keep the news on 24/7. I can't stand the constant talking and if there is something interesting they go to commercial and never do come back and do the story till a couple hours later. I just look it up on the internet and walk away from the TV. I am not a slave to it.

Thanks for the newspaper link Rusty. Cleaning up would be hazarous.

Happ, all my news comes from the background. DH usually has it on. I have no patience for it.

Oh, that bear is adorable!!

Pepper, I got into the storm chaser's story. Pretty intense!

Oh no. Let's hope the weather liars have it wrong!!

Happ, two good days a year, LOL! That's pretty depressing!

Pepper, you will be a Belle for a while :o) If you're like me you will be out of it and into real clothers as soon as it's over.

Will, it's a shame you got so little for your truck, but in the long run you are better off.

Yeah, ick! That is a muddy mess! Kudos for you to get in there and try to get it done.

Smiling, my ''Welcome To My Garden'' has birds on top. It says what it needs to say tho :o)

Crit, wow! What is happening to the South half of the States? I sincerely hope you get rain!

Our rain passed over us this morning. It just upped the humidity. There will be no driveway work this week, so let it rain :o(

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 11, 2011
6:01 AM

Post #8685484

[quote="billyporter"]Rusty, do you like Missouri better than California? Were you born in California?[/quote]

I born in Clark AFB Phillippines Island and I do like California but earthquake is too much for me!

Well, I do like in Missouri that more less peoples than bad peoples in California is not friendly at all!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 11, 2011
10:53 AM

Post #8686037

A couple kegs of beer will take care of the heat at a wedding!

2" of rain here Sat & Sunday nights. With this hot weather. corn is catching up fast.
Our garden is really producing. Picked cukes, summer squash & Zucchini earlier. Then tons of beans. Will pick broccoli later. It will all go to market tomorrow afternoon.
Radishes, onions, beets & other things get picked tomorrow morning.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2011
2:56 PM

Post #8686578

Wow CG that looks beautiful!

Rusty, my DH was in California and actually stopped to ask directions, I can't repeat what they said but it wasn't nice...last time DH asked for directions...rofl. So you come to Missouri to miss the earth quakes and now they are threatening us with earth quakes... ;)
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8686823

Bernie, how can you tell when when summer squash is ready to pick? I have one that is just under a foot long but it's a deep yellow, not a light yellow. I've never been able to figure it out.

Yeah, we will be sweating for a few hours for sure!! And funny you mention 2 kegs of beer cause my brother has 2 kegs ordered for the reception. LOL!!!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 11, 2011
5:39 PM

Post #8686880

Pick them when 4" to 6" long. Bigger they will be full of seeds & not tender. Keep them picked & they will keep coming.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8686885

Ok, thanks!! I have a few that size now so will pcik them and see how they are.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2011
7:30 PM

Post #8687160

Well ... I'm singing the same old depressing song. 107* yesterday, 105* today and forcast for the next 7 days is the same. This is terrible. I hate to see my water and electric bills this month. It is so intense here, we went into burn ban all over the state today. Going to take quite a bit of rain before that get lifted. Please continue praying for us for rain!

CG ... that produce looks wonderful! I'm going to have to stop at one of our roadside stands and get some fresh veggies. Haven't even had a 'real' tomato yet. My patio tomato plant is fizzled, even though I put it under the awning during the blazing afternoon sun. Just the heat drains them. A lot of my plants wilt down during the day, then perk back up at night.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2011
8:18 AM

Post #8687856

Crit, I really feel for you all, it has been burning hot down there for a long time now...gosh. The thought of the electric bill is scary to say the least, but oh my gosh if we didn't have air. I grew up without it and sometimes wonder how we made it. I can remember laying up on the second floor so hot, I would sometimes open the screen and go out ontop of the screened in porch...rofl.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2011
11:54 AM

Post #8688332

That sounds like a good plan to me happ.

When we custom harvested, my trucks had no air conditioning. It was miserable! The combines had a/c, but not my trucks. UGH!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2011
5:21 PM

Post #8688981

I got some rain!!!! Not much but some of my plants will be happy. Still have soaker hose going though. Need to turn it off in a bit. Been going since just after 5. Crit, hope you get some rain soon!! We don't need Oklahoma to end up like Texas.

I'm sitting here eating some summer squash from the garden. Yum!!! I will have another one ready in a couple days. Another cuke will be ready by end of week.

Is anyone around here getting red tomatoes yet? Mine are still green but a guy my dad has been doing work for has big red ones already. I have Beefmaster and Mr. Stripey. Peppers aren't ready yet either but they are kinda buried between the 2 rows of tomatoes so that's my fault. lol

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2011
1:48 PM

Post #8690467

Eek! 105 F is hot! Pepper, maybe you got the same deluge there as here, it stormed like crazy here yesterday evening. If I had known it was gonna do that, I wouldn't have had to fill the waterpond up by hose! Me, Tomatoes from seed? No. From bought plants? Yes. The ones from seed, it appears I might be lucky to have red Tomatoes by October! lol
Well, I finally got the liner in place for the waterpond and the thing filled up with water. Here is what the pond looks like now. -
Yes, that produce looks delicious! I love broccoli sprouts and sour cream!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2011
5:26 PM

Post #8690818

I think our whole area got hit with rain since we had a big system come thru overnight. My garden is good for a couple days that's for sure!!

Pond looks good!!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2011
5:34 PM

Post #8690843

We had a couple freak showers yesterday. Got 1/4" yesterday afternoon and 1/4" this morning. Drop in the bucket, but thanked God for it anyway. Chance of scattered showers tonight, then nothing for quite a while. Still triple digets in the 7 day forecast.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2011
7:03 AM

Post #8691667

We got missed by all the freak showers and I was out watering again. It is super cloudy tho and maybe we will get something today. I was driving the car around with the lights on so I could see to water, got home really late last night...hate that but it works. Hope I didn't miss anything.

I have been eating cherry tomatoes but my big tomatoe plants got out really late so I will be eating tomatoes the same time Will is really really late.

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 14, 2011
10:07 AM

Post #8691965

No red tomatoes here. We look often. Farmer's Mkt doesn't have home grown red tomatoes either. Today is their day, I think I will check them out. We usually have ripe tomatoes by July 4th.

Sometimes, I carry buckets with me when I plan on weeding. It helps
My daughter brought home an article written by someone at a hospital in Joplin telling about what went on those first few days. It makes the hair on your arms stand up and brings tears to the eyes. They have endured so much. My church has done some activities for them. We also had a community drive to send stuff to Joplin.

My Carolina Wren has made a nest in my tuberous begonia hanging plant. She has really torn it up. Today, I tried to water it, and she sat about five feet from me and scolded me. I finally put a big saucer of water on the bench and set the plant in it hoping it will draw up enough moisture. Earlier this Sp, they had a clutch in my hanging Christmas Cactus. We had a deluge of rain and it drowned two of the babies. They tossed them out onto the deck floor. Only one survived. Then, they raised a clutch in my clothes pin basket in the garage right next to our door that goes into the kitchen. We walked right by it all the time. Last year, they raiised a clutch in a box in the garage we keep batteries in. There was holy cane going on when they fledged.

We're getting lots of cukes, yellow squash and some zucchini. I don't understand why the tomatoes aren't ripe yet. We're having plenty of heat. They originated in South America, so, you would think they would be okay with the heat.

Just said on the news 23 out of 24 days have been over a 100 in Okla. City. Wow.

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8692292

I believe it birder

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 14, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8692293

More heat wave until July 19

http://www.accuweather.com/us/mo/joplin/64801/watches-warnings.asp
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2011
1:51 PM

Post #8692333

We still have triple digets forcast for the next seven days. Every few days I think it will change, but it doesn't. Just keeps showing triple digets for the next 7 days!

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2011
2:12 PM

Post #8692381

Thanks billyp, that pond digging was a muddy mess, glad it's over. Yeah, it hasn't sunk in how neat it is to really have that truck gone. It is so nice to have a big part of the driveway back now.
I got lucky, the guy that bought it just had limbs and a small tree fall in his backyard due to a storm we recently had, all he had was a small BMW, no truck.

Haha! Speaking of Wrens. We have House Wrens, I think, nesting in the more traditional gourd bird house, they were none too pleased about me hitting they're house repeatedly and shaking it all the time today when I made the old unused clothesline post into a trellis for a Hall's Honeysuckle plant, (not the nasty old bush). I thought I might get divebombed by the pair! I could hear them all around making noise! After I was done, in about 2 minutes they were back checking out the nest, I think they like the new trellis, it has places to perch. I got photos of them too, but of course those photos are blurry, never get a cheap camera!

Thanks Pepper. I hope it stays good!
Boy, is it ever gonna warm up, today isn't terrible, but it's supposed to get around 99 to 100 for several days straight starting in 2 days or so. Not like more southerly though, that would be excruciating.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8692776

Glad I'm not the only one not getting ripe tomatoes yet. I don't feel so bad now. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2011
7:27 PM

Post #8692956

My tomato plant had 3 tomatos on it, about the size of a large marble. They shriveled then turned red. The plant looks horrible. I gave it some tomato plant food. Bought 2 more plants that I am going to pot. May have some by October if they live. SUCH a bad gardening year! And it was in a pot. A patio tomato

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2011
5:06 AM

Post #8693516

Rusty, how interesting!! I wouldn't care to be in an earthquake either :o)

I think us in the Heartland do have more heart :o) We are more open and friendly, but even the larger towns has those who can't say hi when meeting someone on the sidewalk.

Bernie, how true, for those who drink :o)

The broccoli is beautiful and huge!! The rest is nice too!

Happ, that's terrible when a person can't give directions!

Pepper, LOL!

Crit, you have my prayers and sympathy! That's awful.

Happ, I never went thru heat that bad. I grew up with no air till I was a teen.

Crit, that would be miserable!

Pepper, smiling over you chowing down :o)

I have a few cherry tomatoes ripening. We actually are two yesterday. My big tomatoes are losing the dark green color, so maybe in a week I'll have table tomatoes. I have one green pepper set on, but it's supposed to turn orange so I'm trying to not pick it.

Will, wow! The pond looks great! You have really been working on it!

Happ, smiling over using the car to water by, but you'll be glad you did!

Birder, I start with two buckets for weeding. DH just walks around and leaves piles.

I hope I never have to go thru any tornado. It would be awful.

The wrens will keep returning to a successful nest, but that is so sad about the deluge of rain.

Will, laughing, things happen for a reason and he really needed a truck after all!

I'll bet they will enjoy the trellis! Mine sit on the clothesline since the houses are on the posts.
The back yard is going to look pretty nice!

Pepper, love the flowers!!

Crit, I never had any luck with anything in a pot. I sure hope you get a bettere tomato. Forgive me for laughing, but the mental image of them shriveling and then turning red got to me :o)

Oh no. I'm going to giggle all day now!

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 15, 2011
2:50 PM

Post #8694446

They change the heat wave until July 22!

http://www.accuweather.com/us/mo/joplin/64801/watches-warnings.asp

Went to Farmer Market today and brought full basket of tomatoes (7 for $6)...

I have no more tomatoes on my plant only I got small 5 tomatoes that tornado damages to my peach trees (no peaches at all) and only I have is beets and turnips...

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2011
5:22 PM

Post #8694680

Excessive heat warning til next Friday for much of the Midwest. It's hot and only gonna get hotter. I don't remember it being this hot for this long before. Usually we get several breaks between bad heat waves.

Statement Oriental Lily blooming. Had 3 bulbs but am down to 2 now. The blooms are smaller too. Oh well. Still smells good!!

Thumbnail by pepper23

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2011
4:26 AM

Post #8695345

this is first time for long time for heat wave last week and again this week only I got 1 day raining... It pretty drought here again ground dried up and crack...

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2011
7:04 AM

Post #8695507

7 day weather forecast is 104-106 towards the end of the week. THis is just awful. Besides no rain, the heat is terrible.

Do Oriental Lilies bloom more than once a season? I got one flush of blooms and that is all. Of course, they did just get planted this spring.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2011
7:05 AM

Post #8695509

They just said our heat index right now is 94*, which is normally our high this time of year. UGH
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 16, 2011
1:23 PM

Post #8696141

Our temp right now is 92. But there is a breeze which helps.

My orientals only bloom once. Actually all my liles only bloom once.

Thumbnail by pepper23

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8696326

I thought I lost my Casa Blanca lilies. They just bloomed a little later than the Star Gazers. They are right next to each other. Lilies are pretty dependable plants and don't require much care. I am trying to plant more of them.
I have to pick Jap. Beetles this evening. It's so hot I hate to go out there. Whine!
Raccoons visited again last night. This time, they really did a number on my window box plants. They took some out and tossed them down below on our patio. I had to re-plant a bunch of stuff today and water them back in. Grrrr. This evening, my husb. is going to set the trap. It's probably a couple of cubs. They tore up a pot of Amaryllis too. We also had about four squirrels on our deck this am. nibbling on my plants.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2011
4:06 PM

Post #8696368

squirrels tore up one of my bird feeders I had for the finches. Scratched the perches until one of them fell out. So I put some duct tape over it. They scrated their way through that and also the perches until they made a hole big enogh to get the seed out of. I have a set of regular perches to put on it also, so guess I'll do that. I bought a metal finch feeder that they won't be able to tear up. They also had been coming to the deck and drinking out of my fountains, knocking the solar lights over, so I put an old pan with water in it out by the back fence for them. They don't come to the deck anymore. But something dug up one of my Astillbe's in the middle of the front flower bed. Odd.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2011
4:12 AM

Post #8697122

Rusty, we are all going to heat up now :o(

That's sure a shame about your tomatoes and peaches. I don't think any of us saw the heat wave coming, and lasting so long.

Pepper, Statement is so beautiful. I've sure been smelling all of mine!

Rusty, for the first ime, I have deep cracks too.

Crit, you have it bad!

Oriental and Asiatics bllom just once. I've been breaking the seed pods off as soon as the bloom is done and trying to get water down to the bulb. I usually don't water. I wonder if that's why mine end up dwindling?

Birder, my Casa Blanca have done well for years and they are actually under a water sucking Maple tree. I do notice one of them dwindling so I need to get them out and into better dirt. I have Stargazer too and love it!

I've seen one Japanese Beetle so far and I killed it. I am suprised I don't have any yet.

Grrrr on all the wildlife! After the raccoons drug the trap we set out, they haven't been back.

Crit, you have had your share of ''fun'' with the squirrels. I'm giving up on the finch feeders. They all like the sunflower seeds so I am going to just feed them those this winter.

I think we got just about everything watered before the heat wave. It took days, but it was worth it.

The ''Rocket'' is doing nicely and I can keep it watered now that it's closer to the water :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2011
8:00 AM

Post #8697379

After my Orientals bloom, should I keep watering them or stop and let the foilage dry up? I'm still watering but wonder if I am wasting my money.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 17, 2011
8:51 AM

Post #8697496

We had somewhere around 3" of rain Friday. Now humidity is off the scale. House windows were all fogged up this morning.
This thread is pictures of our market Sat.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1197177/

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2011
9:39 AM

Post #8697606

Crit, I don't know. I've never really watered mine before since they're planted so deep. I do wonder if that's why I lose a few bulbs tho. I guess what you don't want is them sitting in dirt that's too wet because they'll rot. I think that's why I lost Muscadet. Oriental Girl was in hot dry dirt under the water sucking Maple tree.

Bernie, your market should be the poster child of all markets. I ame awed by what you sell. It's all beautiful!!

It's hot out already and I'm debating whether to go out. I hate to sit inside, but I do have little things to do.

Actually, I could use a nap.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 17, 2011
12:14 PM

Post #8697918

Hot + Humidity + Sunday afternoon = Nap!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2011
4:10 PM

Post #8698238

Still really hot but it seems the humidity is a bit lower now. Yesterday we had a breeze for the wedding so being outside for that was bearable.

My brother's wedding was a beautiful affair. It was a sucess and so was the reception. Everyone had fun and we stayed late to help clean up. Got home just before 1am. My head hit the pillow and I was out. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2011
5:12 PM

Post #8698379

That's great pepper. So glad the weather somewhat cooperated and it was a huge success.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 17, 2011
7:45 PM

Post #8698627

CG: very nice produce. That's a lot of work. I love fresh farm eggs. There's a world of difference in taste.

We caught two coons in one trap. There was a third coon this AM trying to get the others out. My husb. hauled them about five miles away. I am afraid they will be back tomorrow! At least my flowers on the deck stayed in tack last night.

Pepper, glad the wedding--weather went fine. Outside weddings are pretty but risky. That's a very pretty red lily.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2011
8:05 PM

Post #8698638

Oh pepper glad the wedding was all everyone wanted. I was really worried about you all, but it was cloudy at my house most of the day. Today was horrid. I got out at 6am and came in at 5pm, the last hour or two was almost unbearable but I had started a BIg project and had to finish. I was soooo glad that was done. I have cleaned out the garden room and the shed. The shed is put back together but the garden room everything is sitting outside, so I hope for a day or two we don't have any rain.

Love the farmers market! I am getting cherry tomatoes but then it is only 1 or 2 at a time. I usually stand right there and eat them...rofl.

Take care everyone. Will feel sorry for you working in this heat and humidity.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2011
8:48 PM

Post #8698679

Thanks Sally. I hope to keep making progress in the backyard! I'm pretty sure that those Wrens are okay with the new trellis. I'd like to put it up even higher for them next year, so they might think they are too high for distractions, we like having Wrens! I remember in the Spring one of them was trying to get in there to build the nest with a stick that wouldn't go in the entrance, she or he finally gave up and flew off with it! I haven't heard from the guy that bought my truck, thats a good sign I guess. I told him he's welcome to call if he has any questions about it later. Next, I'll be selling a trailer that I used with the truck.

I resigned at Fedex Wed. I told the mgr. I didn't know it took so long to get insurance, until after I got hired, for one thing. I wanted to kinda come up with something besides the job really stank! But really, somebody could be dead before insurance kicks in! I didn't tell him, but that kinda heat can be a killer when working like that, I'm sure he knows. I will miss burning the crazy calories, but not getting up at 2am to carry packages nonstop for 4 hours. Thats more of a job for someone in they're teens or 20's not they're 40's. I didn't tell him that, (he is 29). They are nice people there, I told him that when I quit, I liked the people generally. I did make it there a little more than a month, with no real complaints from them. Now that I've left, I bet they are seeing who is getting the 7's mixed up with the 1's and it isn't me! It'd be easy to do, they look so similar, the 1's have the little curved line like a seven. I finally found out who for sure was doing that, and it was the guy that worked next to me and helped me alot. He was a nice guy and I'm sure he wasn't doing it on purpose. I never said anything about that, I took the heat there. I just, quietly as I could, fixed his boxes, they were his boxes that time. He just goes too fast and doesn't look long enuff to see it's a 1, not a 7. I'm back to my one very part time job here!

Pepper, one Tropicanna came up, (but it has 2 sprouts in the pot), it is pretty, It's in the photo below. The empty pots by it are the roots of them that didn't come up. That one will make a fine addition to the tropical spot I plan.
I finally found a nursery that sells the ornamental banana 'basjoo' that I want as the centerpiece for my tropical spot. I went by Heartland Nursery on View High Rd. to get one on the way back from KS. and mowing, but they were closed.

Farmer's Markets do a great service, they are very popular here too. My housemate said they were sold out of Tomatoes, she said she didn't get there early enuff.

Eeek! Hot wedding! It was hot today, pushmowing too. One guy waved this afternoon to me when I was mowing, to see if I was alive prolly! I think they already think I'm nuts, so they look hard when it's sweltering hot! I think when you wear a Sombrero and panty hose people look anyway!

Thanks happ, but I'm not doing that anymore. That was a long time to be outside today, I hope you don't do that often!
Will

This message was edited Jul 17, 2011 10:52 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2011
3:49 AM

Post #8698891

LOL @ Will. Mental pic of him in his sombrero and panty hose behind the mower. LMBO!!!!

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2011
8:25 AM

Post #8699346

Haha! I was just being funny, Crit! I did have on panty hose, but they were just knee highs! I don't know if I have the ummm courage to wear pantyhose up to my waist! The Sombrero prolly does look amusing in this heat by itself, but I'm just trying to keep the tops of my ears from being scorched and my shoulders and my face. They say skin cancer on the tops of the ears is the most common kind of cancer among men. I've covered up my ears for years, I'm not macho enuff not to cover up my freaking ears in the sun! : ) My feet have itched already, but not like last time, the Chiggers might have got to me a little.
Will

This message was edited Jul 18, 2011 10:30 AM
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2011
6:56 PM

Post #8700691

I still only have green tomatoes. My dad is giving them one more week then I'm gonna have to pull them or something. A real shame too because alot of them maters are bigger than my hand.

Will, hopefully you find another job that is better.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 18, 2011
9:04 PM

Post #8700936

Why do you have to pull them ?
I picked first ones tonight. They are in my hoop house. Garden ones are only about tennis ball size so far.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 19, 2011
4:30 AM

Post #8701152

Bernie, LOL! I hope your nap was more successful. I tend to only be able to nap sitting up. I lay down, I'm wide awake. I never could sleep in the daytime.

Pepper, our humidity was a tad lower too.

Woo hoo, that sounds like a great time at the wedding! I'm so glad it went well.

Oohhh, love the coneflower shot!

Birder, that's amazing to catch two. I'm betting they WON'T be back. After being almost trapped, our's never returned and my yard is ''dump'' free. It's amazing how they try to work the trap.

Happ, I can feel the sweat roll off me as you cleaned, LOL! I'll bet it feels good to walk into the shed now that it's cleaned.

We did the same thing yesterday. Two cherry tomatoes apiece.

Will, we had wrens nest in our old swingset poles. We didn't have the store bought swingset. Our's was with big poles and a round pipe on top. That's where they nested. Don't worry about the height. If there's a house, they will find it.

You shouldn't have any problem getting a good price for your trailor. They are expensive new! Set a good price on it!

You stuck it out in miserable conditions and made a bit of money so it wasn't all bad. I hope you find something better.

I do hope they see it wasn't you mixing up the boxes. With that guy's luck, they'll give him a new partner and he'll take the blame too :o)

ROTFL!! I'd be looking and most likely sneaking back around with a camera! With the heat and no rain, I won't mow till it cools off. I did buy a neck bandana that you soak in cold water till it fluffs. It really cools the neck. They sell them in Walmart. DH used them when they worked in the warehouse at work.

Nice Canna! It will soon multiply so you won't be lacking! I think we all learned something this Spring about watering our things we have to over-winter :o)

Pepper, don't pull them!! I still have green one's too. Even the early haven't ripened yet. I don't know why? It's hot enough and we've kept them watered.

Here are mine. I took this the other day.

Will, I have old swingset pictures for you next :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 19, 2011
4:32 AM

Post #8701157

My little sister and I on our home-made monkey bars. Dad welded them. The swing set is to the left.

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 19, 2011
4:32 AM

Post #8701158

Little old me on the glider. See how tall the poles are? :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 19, 2011
6:33 AM

Post #8701317

I saw on one website where people were drapping plastic over the old swingsets of their kids and made a make shift greenhouse to use in the spring, made me wish I had one sitting around.

That is a beautiful garden, I can make out a few glads over to the side. Beautiful.

CG do you do a lot in the hoop houses? Have you been using them along time? Plse tell me all about them. I went to a trial garden that had all kinds of hoop houses and looked like a great idea.

Shed is clean which is great, but that should of been an early spring or late fall or winter project, dead of summer was not a good time...rofl. But now I can fill it back up. ;)

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8701976

has anyone seen nettie? i haven't seen her for a while.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8702354

Nettie? I might recognize her DG id before her real name, I still prolly wouldn't know though.
Where are all those Purple Coneflowers, Pepper? Thats alot, did somebody grow them from seed? I know I'd go broke buying that many plants!
Homemade monkeybars and stuff, you're Dad was pretty creative and frugal (in a good sense!), billyp, neat photos, how cool is that to have in a photo album?!
Where is the photos of that project, happ?!
Will

This message was edited Jul 19, 2011 10:16 PM
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 19, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8702503

Lets see shortleaf I will have to think about it, probably somewhere in greenhouses or along those lines I am guessing is where the photo was of the make shift swing greenhouse.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8702556

Will, those coneflowers are next to the driveway in a shady raised bed. I've had them there since we built the beds 14 or so years ago. We planted a big container of seeds. They come back every year. There were more "wildflowers" in there but they dwindled down to weeds so I pulled them and left the coneflower area and put in shade plants beside them. It's a major work in progress since it's hard to find plants that will thrive there.

Here's a shot of the whole coneflower area. It's not that big but they thrive there!!

Thumbnail by pepper23

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2011
6:42 PM

Post #8704754

Anybody wanna see some lagging tomatoes?! See the photo below, I think thats a tomato plant anyway, it's about an inch tall!! Them sonofaguns are from a seed packet that I planted in early April!

If it was me I'd remove those trees, Pepper, they rob them of sun!!

Thats quite a garden there, Sally, lots of work, I don't see any weeds, that also quite an army of watering cans there!

Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2011
6:59 PM

Post #8704807

Those trees stay!! LOL!! We've lost too many over the years. I actually want more trees. lol

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2011
8:25 AM

Post #8705872

Mystery Mansion build in Ozark:

http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/mystery-mansion-rises-in-the-ozarks.html

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2011
9:15 AM

Post #8705975

Wow, that is a big house. It'll be interesting to see who lives in it! Bigger than that big Spelling house in Calif. even. My wild guess is that Walmart/KCRoyals guy, Glass.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8707158

That place is huge!!

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 22, 2011
4:28 AM

Post #8708021

Yes, It's so bigger I never seen! 13 bedrooms!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2011
4:59 AM

Post #8708046

Some people just have more money than brains, ya know?
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2011
6:53 AM

Post #8708219

You should see the houses that Sinquefield (the backer of repealing the kansas city and st louis earnings tax) family has in southern Missouri. I have never seen anything like it. With the Master Gardeners I met both of them and saw her gardens and greenhouse. The greenhouse is a dome and bigger than the average persons home, one of the houses has a unbelieveable lake with a waterfall, oriental gardens, shelter house, etc, he told me he had never spent a night in that house. It was truely amazing. I will have to find pics. One of the huge arboretums people come to trim the trees in the japanese gardens, the waterfall had just been completed, the crew was running behind because of the delays in finishing Bill Gates waterfall. I am saying this only to bring to light that there is "real" money in Missouri that most of us are not even aware of. The woman taking us on our tour said that Sinquefield was from Los Angelas and Chicago and when they started buying property in Missouri they were paying way more than anyone had seen in the hills of Missouri, so people were running to them to ask them to buy their property...rofl. Sinquefield was very nice and was telling me the house we were at he had built for family and friends to come and get away. He seemed very family oriented and flew them in regularly. In the winter he stocks the lake with trout, he didn't fish but the family enjoyed it, course if they are not all fished out by summer they die...

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2011
3:38 PM

Post #8709240

Greed! Greed I say!! Oh well, I'm just jealous!! But, I bet they don't have ac in they're house!!

Anybody wanna see the first plant to go in my new and glorious waterpond?! It's 1 of the 2 Water Irises that I got from happ. I thought I'd put one in for a few days and see how it likes it before I put the other one in. I hope it likes being submerged!!

I wanted to remove that Persimmon tree in the photo, my friend here insisted it stay, it looks okay there now. It's not as close as I thought, I thought the roots might be a problem for the pond.
I grew another Persimmon tree from seed this year, because it takes 2 to get fruit, I plan on planting the new seedling somewhere back there.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8709415

Pond looks good!! Are you planning on a smalll waterfall or fountain for movement?

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2011

Post #8709446

Thanks Pepper. I'm not for sure, it'll prolly be a waterfall trickle I'm thinking. A project coming up will be arranging a strip outlet in some sort of container or box, I'm hoping I can find one thats waterproof. I haven't got electricity to it yet, hopefully soon though.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2011
6:58 PM

Post #8709616

Even a little movement will help keep mosquitos from making a home there. Plus the oxygen generated will be good for the plants. Since that's not a big area it doesn't need to be alot. Just a thought.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2011
10:38 AM

Post #8710763

Will, I think one of my iris is pretty well submerged will have to look, the other is just sitting on the edge of the waterfall.
There are solar run little fountains that float around ontop of the pond that will keep the mosqit. down or those dunk things. The pond is starting to take shape you will be surprised. When I get back to Independence I will bring you some more water plants. I have little ones starting. Some cannas like water as well as daylilies. It is starting to look like a pond!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2011
5:17 PM

Post #8711253

Went to River Market this morning. Had a blast and came home with a big sack full of stuff. I plan on hitting it again hopefully next month. I recommend being there before 7am to beat the crowds. You can walk around, see who has what for what price then hit the vendors that you want to hit.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8711312

DH and DGD's chillin' in the pool

Thumbnail by Crit

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2011
5:07 AM

Post #8711972

Happ, what an idea! I wouldn't have though of a swingset, but you could stand up in it and with enough plastic make a real nice place!

Yes, the deep red are new Glads. I only have one yellow and a few pink left from Mom's bulbs. I tried to water them after the heat was wilting the flower stalk. I only have them planted about 4'' deep. This rain will really save them.

I find myself cleaning my garage at least three times in the summer. I like to. I think it takes me back to cleaning up the shed, which is in the pictures above, for a play house. On the left, inside, Dad had shingles stacked taller than me. Climb up there and you could open the door/window and look out. You can see the window in the picture. It's open.

Will, we were pretty lucky. He also welded a small merry go round and we had a home-made slide :o)

Laughing, frugal is right and he isn't even Scottish. That's on my Mom's side!

Pepper, I know Coneflowers are a ''sun'' plant, but I find mine do better with a bit of shade. they actually wilt if they get too dry.

The Coneflowers look great all by themselves!

Will, pardon me for laughing at those inch tall ''maybe'' tomatoes!! I think they are, but they don't have much of a chance to make it before the year is over.

There are weeds. It helps to get it all weeded in the Spring and then not get any rain!

I actually could use more watering cans. DH cut too much top out of some, so now the cats drink from those. They prefer it over their clean dish with fresh clean water in it. I do have a few more cans scattered around by plants that need topping off daily.

I am also going to use those coffee cans around the plants from now on. Since I buried them some, it's so easy to fill the can and let the water percolate down. I ran out of cans, so we cut the bottom out of gallon ice cream containers for the peppers.

Pepper, I hear you. If my yard wasn't covered in shade, I wouldn't be out in the heat every day.

Rusry, that's quite a house.

See what happens when some people have tooo much money? They lose their senses. A normal person would build a house big enough to entertain in and donte money to charity or at least family.

Most of the ''old money'' people (Rockefellers and such) would build the elaborate houses and then donate them to the State so the State has to pay to keep them up. They then were able to keep their money.

Thank you Crit, LOL!

Will, get more plants in, finsh the top and it will be a great place to sit and enjoy!

There are outdoor strip outlets that would work.

Happ, the solar fountains sound neat!

Pepper, markets are awesome and boy does all the food look good!

Crit, wow oh wow, what a pool! Lucky Granddaughters! Lucky you!!, LOL!

It does not feel like Sunday.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2011
7:50 AM

Post #8712162

Yes, when the kids come out and swim, DH says that makes all the work that goes into the pool all worth while!!!!

Getting ready to go horseback riding.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2011
7:53 AM

Post #8712167

Paint on Wall

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2011
7:55 AM

Post #8712171

Another one

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2011

Post #8712179

Closing wall

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2011
8:01 AM

Post #8712185

Signing and rest area house!

This message was edited Jul 24, 2011 10:02 AM

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2011
8:04 AM

Post #8712192

There is 70 % remove all the debris (I m ahead to my home) on Conn. and 20th Street

Thumbnail by JuJu55

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2011
11:21 AM

Post #8712490

That's better than all that nasty looking gang stuff!!!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2011
12:25 PM

Post #8712619

(Copied and pasted from the other thread.)

Rusty, now that is art! It sure makes a beautiful wall and it put a smile on my face!

The carvings are so neat!

Wow, an amazing amount of mess needing to be picked up. That brings it home.

Thanks for the good and bad sides.

Crit, agreed!!!

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2011
4:05 PM

Post #8712990

I plan on getting a pump in the pond soon for some movement. I saw Green Lantern today, crazy movie but good none-the-less!
Yes great art down there, Rusty!
I like that pool, Crit, that would be refreshing when it's 105. Thanks happ! Sure, I'll have any plants you want to part with. I looked at the pond a while ago and the Water-Iris from you seems to be okay with being submerged.
Those Tomato plants are funny! I look at them all the time and just grimace! I'd feel bad if I waited to plant them till June or something, but I planted them plenty early! Here they are in April, thats them in the back. -
I think I'll put my waterlilies in the pond next and see how they like it.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2011
7:00 PM

Post #8713220

Will, I have some plants that I started by winter sowing, that have not grown another inch. They are tiny like yours. Go figure!

Another 7 days over 104* is forecast. Wed and Thur forecast is 108*. Pray it isn't so!

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2011
8:13 PM

Post #8713326

That is HOT. Sorry Crit, if Oklahoma isn't being about the middle of tornado alley, it is extremely hot!
My waterpond has a new inhabitant tonite. It's the Waterlily! It's pretty hideous looking right now. About half of the leaves are either upside-down, underwater or just in the wrong place. I guess they'll get used to the new place! I tried sinking the pot with the roots down to the deepest part, (the hole), and none of it was visible. So, that'll have to wait till next year I think, they just aren't on long enuff stems right now I suppose. How do you like my frog and the round plaque thing that says, "welcome to my garden"?!

Yeah, an inch tall tomato plant is a bummer! Oh well, I guess thats what the farmer's market is for! : )
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2011
4:40 AM

Post #8713592

Will, I can't imagine what went wrong with your tomatoes.

Your's either Crit!

Will, the pond is coming right along. Next year it will look great! Even the tree reflection looks like something growing :o)

Love the ''Welcome To My Garden.'' I have a similar frog too, LOL!

It's going to be hot here too. The rain sure perked all the flowers up. Even tho I watered, the daylilies suddenly let a lot of leaves dry up. I'll need to clean those up so they look better. If it ever cools down, I can dig and share with the guy that stopped the other day to ask for some.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2011
6:00 AM

Post #8713676

Here what I found this crooked squash! 2 together! lol...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2011
6:03 AM

Post #8713684

Rusty, isn't that cute! Mama and baby :o)
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2011
12:15 PM

Post #8714415

Will, you need to join the froggie swap and crazy critter swaps next year to get some new inhabitants to your pond.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8715127

Thanks Sally, I need to clean up that little plaque that says, "welcome to my garden", or paint it too! Hehe, maybe I'll have you're typical spray of water come out of the frog's mouth..not! Actually, I'm not sure I like it, it looks like a toy, like something you'd play with in the bathtub, and I already have a yellow rubber duck! I carried maybe ten potted plants by the pond to plant them around it eventually. I'm keeping the Tropicanna in the planter so I can put it indoors this Fall. Lotsa planting to do! I can finally begin planting all the potted plants I've been hording!
Here is the waterpond tonite, it was getting dark, so the photo isn't as crisp as usual. A froggie swap eh? And crazy critters too?! That does sound interesting, thanks Crit! I hope at least one bullfrog finds the pond suitable! I think I wanna buy some little feeder goldfish for a quarter apiece.
That Persimmon tree does cast quite a reflection, the leaves in the reflection are even green!
Eeeek, that is quite a sight of two squashes connected together, Rusty!
Yeah, the stunted Tomatoes are a mystery! I watered them regularly and that is all potting soil, not topsoil. I wouldn't have even had potting soil, but I got a bunch out of a dumpster by a well known drug store (CVS) a few years ago, it was called Osco then.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2011
4:30 AM

Post #8715761

Will, the frog needs to peek our from under foliage. Then he'll look more like a frog than a toy. Or, paint him a darker green. Is he concrete?

I wouldn't be suprised to find a real bullfrog there some day.

You really have some neat things set around! I think you'll be glad to have trees shade the water. The maple is gorgeous!

I do love the fountain with the kids/cherubs around it too :o)
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2011
4:54 AM

Post #8715778

Looking good Will. I need a hole dug in my backyard for a pond. You still up for hire? ^_^

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2011
5:22 AM

Post #8715813

LOL!

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 26, 2011
10:04 AM

Post #8716306

Haha! "Me, for hire"?! Sure, I'd come down when it cools down there! Actually, I think I'd be a good pondsman! This was the first one I've dug entirely on my own, I think I've learned a couple things not to do when digging. I've yet to do alot of stuff to mine, theres plenty of time to mess it up yet! I'd like to do this one on the cheap, but I'm not sure yet thats possible. I might need to buy a UV clarifier and they sell for about $200, I need to do something to keep the water from always being green. Finding a place for all the dirt that comes out of digging a big hole like that can be a problem if there isn't anywhere to put it. It's not like the dirt here was much good, except for filling holes, it's all clayey and nasty. I'm kinda glad the pond here wasn't any bigger!
When you first put the liner in and fill it full of water, it is kinda discouraging because you can see all the folds and wrinkles in the liner, (the water is clear then) and you wanna take the liner back out and smooth it all out, (smoothing might not be possible). But, the water gets a bit more ahem.. not transparent in a few days, and it's not so bad.

I think that green frog is hollow plastic like a rubber ducky, I'm not sure if it's like a whistle toy. Maybe they'll be plenty of foliage to put it by later, I think I'll take it out till then.
Thanks Sallyp, my Dad painted that when he was all into statuaries. The paint is wearing off now, it used to be gray concrete.
Those trees are on the North, they won't be blocking any sun. That Japanese Maple is prolly the biggest money plant here. My friend got it when I wasn't living here. She didn't save, (or misplaced) the receipt and/or the label, but it's some kind of dissected cultivar of Japanese Maple, it is a beautiful red in the Fall most years. I got a photo of it from 2009 Fall I'll post. It was in the front yard then in mostly shade and it was still beautiful, now that it'll be in the sun more I hope it's even more nice in the Fall.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2011
5:07 AM

Post #8717977

Will, smiling over the frog.

The maple is just gorgeous! I don't know how it could be any better :o)

I walked early this morn and have the air running already. It's going to be a bad day. I hope everyone remembers their animals, here in town. I hate to think of them suffering in the heat.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2011
6:20 AM

Post #8718076

LOL, we leave the garage door cracked open and the dogs come and go as they please, which has been, staying in the air...rofl. One dog leaves his nose right out the door but his butt inside the garage... ;)

Hottest day today, it takes me all night when I get home to water...have to admit it is really getting old, but glad I moved alot of the plants in the shade or I would still be out there in the morning from the night before. Being a master gardener you have to do volunteer work of x amount of hours, so I maintain two planters on the city square where I live and everynight I water them. I was watering with 2 milk jugs full of water and now I have increased it to 3 jugs a planter. Someone who didn't know about plants made the planters black, so they heat up pretty darn hot and both are against a brick building. Sorry whine whine whine...rofl.

K-State is holding their annual Open House at the Trial Gardens this Saturday, July 30. Details can be found at http://www.johnson.ksu.edu I would love to go, I went a few years ago, but it is going to be so hot and it was brutal the year we went, it is really interesting.

This message was edited Jul 27, 2011 6:35 PM

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2011
9:38 AM

Post #8718498

I got a closer look at that green frog, it's battery operated and does something. Maybe it kicks it's legs and goes ribbit or something. If it jumps I'm keeping it! I'll find out if it still works and what it does. It's been outside for years, it prolly doesn't work. Yes, I didn't know until I saw the news yesterday that its getting so hot here, they said it was 98 and supposed to be 101 today! If I don't water everyday some of the potted plants will go on they're way out. 99% of my plants are still potted.
Hehe.. black planters! At least they didn't paint a solid terracotta plant pedestal black like I did!
You're web address works only if you take the period . off the end of the web address after edu happ, the link would work I think if you want to edit the period out or leave a space after it so it doesn't get included in the link. I've done that too, a period does go there, so what to do, what to do! : )
Oh, all 7 cats here have plenty of water! I drink a lot too, water that is!
Here is the Purple Prince Lily Tree! Not that much purple!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8719605

Sorry about the link, I knew better, that is what happens when you are messing around at work when you should be working.
Love the blooms they are really pretty.
Gotta go water. Be back.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2011
7:10 PM

Post #8719825

Will ... today was our 24th day this year of 100+ temps. We were 11 in a row then dropped to 97* on Monday, now back to the triples. Not just talking barely triples, but 106, 107, 108!!!!! It is just freaking hot. Things not growing. Things dying even though they are getting watered. It is a terrible year. No rain. Everthing is brown, trees are dropping leaves, pasture is burnt up, I'm already buying hay to feed the horses. We need RAIN and COOLER TEMPS!!!!!

OK, I'm done whining. ^_^

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2011
4:55 AM

Post #8720476

82/89
Humidity: 69%
UV Index: 7 High
Record High: 104F (1983)

Scattered showers and thunderstorms. A few storms may be severe. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Happ, isn't that funny. We leave the garage door open for the cats. Being short, thier nose and butts fit right in the doorway, LOL! I even wet it down the other day when it was so bad. One cat laid right down.

Oh gee, any chance of the city painting those planters? Whine away. the weather is bad everywhere, LOL!!

I'm hoping the State Fair isn't blistering hot. DH won't go if it is. It has till the middle of August to cool down.

Will, laughing! You might have to clean the battery compartment. It will be interesting to see what the frog might do :o)

Not bad on the purple! It's still little. Make sure it has an acidy soil mix when you plant it out and it might color up.

Crit, you have it bad!! I'll bring my prayers a little farther North.

Odd story. Yesterday, I was sitting outside looking at the Jungs catalog and a maroon van pulled up and just sat on the side of the road. I glanced over and could see him light a cigarettte, but couldn't see him enough to identify who he might be. I sat there, he sat there. After about 5 minutes, I finished, got up and came in. In another minute, he left and we saw him go around the block and head slowly uptown. We threw on some clothes to run to the next town for a radator hose. As we got to the highway, we saw him come off the side street he left on, and enter the highway. He turned South, so we crossed the road and followed him till he went out of town instead of turning. We turned, went back uptown and left.

It didn't take long to get to West Liberty, buy the hose and get back on the road. We took the back way home, on the gravel, and guess who we met? Yep. He was heading North on the gravel towards West Liberty. Can you believe it?

It isn't uncommon for people to park on the side of our road and wait for a friend, or a tractor. A lot of times it's the wife helping in the fields. This was a bit strange. I did see he had a headset, but didn't notice his head down doing paperwork. I couldn't get his plate number from the house either.

My suspicious mind thought about people who sit and try to get info from computers, or credit card numbers from a gas station. Neither of which we were doing.

I see him again and I will get his plate just so the cops will have it.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2011
6:01 AM

Post #8720563

Billy, it must of been the day for strange people and vehicles. It really kind of freaks you out when people are doing things out of the ordinary near your house. It sure makes me concerned. Last night I went to look a DH's computer when I see headlights traveling north up our property, and there isn't a road! It was about 10pm at night. I yelled at DH and he looked up just to see the vehicle leaving. Then this morning I look out about 5:30 and what do I see but a vehicle heading north on our property again. I was a little hesitant to race out there but did and low and behold it was a police vehicle, either city or sheriff! I yelled and waved my hands but they just went on flying down our property and back out on the main road. I yelled at DH but neither of us could make out the emblem on the side of the car for sure. We aren't in the city limits but the city police have been outside the city limits before. Too strange.

Crit I can't even imagine what you are going thru. It is odd no amount of watering can make up the difference of a rain shower. It is a sad day when Texas is hoping for a tropical storm or a small hurricane...My astillbe are crispy, tomatoes are sitting on the vine not doing anything, I did soaker hose the hostas cause the trees suck out all the water. Course last night I was watering and I am so careful with the water on because we are on all well, a friend stopped by, the phone rang, and etc. when I got up this morning to check the water I had left it on! Geez I can't believe I did that, I am sooooooooooooo careful, and usually I can hear it running in the house...dang I hate that. Good thing I have a great well...

Will, your pond is really coming along. I will have more pond plants for you altho they will look really odd, I have the pond covered with screen trying to keep the water as cool as possible, so some the plants are bent over I noticed...rofl. Usually the dirt dug from the pond is what is used to make the waterfall with. The dirt is piled all in one spot, smoothed around at a slope, then sort of stair stepped, lay rubber over the dirt, then the rocks and start the water flowing down. Small ponds are harder to take care of than larger ponds. I made my own pond filter by using instructions on the net and during really hot weather if I have a big alge bloom I run the water from the pump thru a pillow. Slit open the end and the water runs thru the batting and usually cleans up everything in no time. But a pond filter of any sorts requires a pump, so there is always cost involved.

Looky what I have blooming, I am sooooooooooooo excited! I have 2 pots with 3 stems each in them, of different colors. The plumeria's are only 3 or 4 feet tall, but so excited to get these blooms. I think I will have blooms from the others also. I must say they love this hot weather.

Thumbnail by happgarden

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8721843

Where is that Pepper?! I haven't seen her in awhile. That Tropicanna I got from her really is a showstopper. I forgot to look again tonite but I think there might be a third sprout in it as well.
A single Tropicanna is like $15 at the store. It's pretty, it's in the pic below. -

Really, its okay to whine! This heat is a real bummer. Even the milder high 90's to like 102 here stinks! I can't imagine what OK, TX, AZ or NM (or any SW state) must be thinking! Today, it topped out at 100, tomorrow its only supposed to be 87 (then back up to mid to high 90's), that'll be nice if it really is 87 tomorrow.

My friend says that fake plastic frog goes "ribbit!" like a bullfrog when you walk by! I brought it in tonite to refresh the batteries and try to get it to work.

Thanks happ, I hope it stays coming along! I'd gladly have those odd plants, thanks! Odd plants for an odd man!
Thats a pretty Plumeria there, happ!

Those carousers prolly are just driving around doing nothing. My Grandma used to call them "spooners", a guy and a girl would come and park on they're property, where they thot they couldn't be seen!
I look at that Purple Prince Lily Tree every day hoping it'll be more purple than the day before, but it never is!
I'm not sure I understand, a regular pillow w/o the pillowcase will make a pond filter? It seems like a regular pillow would be too dense. I'm telling you, I'll try anything that saves money!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2011

Post #8721887

Sorry Will!! Been busy getting ready for trip tomorrow.

Happ, I can't wait til one of mine blooms!! The other one probably won't because it has too much shade from other plants. Next year I know to move it. The other one has one full set of leaves on it. They are both in the ground for now because I got them too late for using my big pots. They will go in smaller pots for the winter then next year go in a bigger pot.

This heat is brutal!! I was out in it last weekend and it about knocked me for a loop!! At least this weekend I can cool off in the river!!

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2011
6:59 PM

Post #8721948

Good to see you, pepper! Yeah, the heat is brutal, some of my potted plants start drooping if I go one day without watering!
Have a good time at the river!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2011
3:54 AM

Post #8722482

Have fun pepper and be careful!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2011
4:59 AM

Post #8722527

Happ, I would have called th station to report the car and ask if anyone was in your area last night. If it was pseodo cop, they will want to know. I hope they don't find a meth lab on your property. That happened out in the country here. Do you have water nearby?

It's not to late to call the station and I think I'd do it.

Wow, on leaving the water running. Appatently no harm done, but it sure makes you feel unsettled to have done it. I know, been there, did something like that, LOL!

Someone else was talking about making their own filters at a fraction of the cost, but I can't remember if they used batting.

Oh, how beautiful!! Does it smell as good as it looks?

Will, it's a gift that keeps on giving!

Yeah, I'm about ready to whine too and I don't have it so bad either. Don't let those 87's fool you. It's no better unless you have a North wind and no humidity!

Smiling over ribbit!

I think she meant to take the stuffing out of the pillow.

Pepper, it's Friday and a nice long weekend for you. Stay safe!!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2011
6:31 AM

Post #8722716

We got rain, not huge amounts but I will take any it wants to give, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch of rain. It sure was noisy tho.

Will this is where I got my idea for the pillow filter, now when I want everything to look nice or the alge is gone I remove the pillow http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1004107/
I didn't have a place deep like she did for the blue box and all of that so I just slip the slitted end of the pillow over one of the rocks in the water fall, the water runs in, and I have poked a couple of holes in the other end of the pillow and the water squirts out. Now she used a pillow case and old pieces of cloth, but batting in cheap pillow works great, get them at goodwill or dollar store.

We drove down there several times last night after dark and then again this morning before sunrise looking and no one around, thank goodness.

Anyone got tomatoes? No one I know is getting any during this heat.

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2011
1:12 PM

Post #8723534

Love to read all the "chit chat"!

We have been on vacation. We went to Jackson Hole Wy. Wow! What a nice place. Day temps were in the upper 70's and evening temps as low as 39*! It's the first time we weren't ready to return home from a vacation--probably because we knew the temps would be in the upper 90's and heat indices in the 110's. We put all the window boxes in the center of the deck and had a timed sprinkler set on top of a plant stand watering every day. The coons knocked the sprinkler over on its side and some of the plants did not get water. They're crispy. I have to "re-plant" a lot of the plants as the coons dig around and pull them out of the soil. I thought we had caught all the coons.

billyporter: My dad welded a swing set for us kids too! It was way better than the ones you buy in the stores. He sold his horse and bought a welder with the money. I was put out with him when he sold the horse. It was a beautiful palomino. We sure did play a lot on the swing set, however, probably a lot more than we would have ridden the horse!

I enjoy the story of the progression of the "pond". It looks like a lot of work and up keep. I love them, but I don't have the energy to have a pond. We thought about it a couple of years ago but decided against it. I would like to have a small fountain. I like the kind that just "trickle"--not the noisy ones. I have looked at them for years, but that's all I do is look.

We had two tomatoes waiting on us when we arrived home--both had big holes in them. Our squash plants died. I think squash bugs as we had timed water on them. Our green beans were eaten up by bugs this year. We will plant a fall crop of beans. This has been a tough summer for gardens. We had too much rain in the Spring and every weed and tree seed sprouted. Then, terrible heat and no rain. What doesn't get watered via a soaker hose etc. doesn't get watered. It's just too sweltering to water. I don't even want to get outside to buy groceries or get the mail!! Whine!

Regarding the big house in Mo.: Real estate in Jackson, Wyoming was $1,000.00 a square foot. Many, many rich people own property there and vacation there. Prices were high for everything because the rich people could afford them. It kind of makes the pretty places in the USA off limits to people that aren't extremely wealthy. So, I personally am hoping they leave Mo. alone and go elsewhere to buy up the land. It was down right crowded in the National Parks. People were everywhere. That was the only part I did not like--you had to constantly step aside for someone else. There were a LOT of foreigners there also-many Asians and Europeans. It kind of made me wonder if the average American was going to be able to afford much in America.

One thing I wouldn't do again is stay in the Grand Teton National Park in a cabin. It was way archaic and the most expensive night we had on the vacation. It was definitely not worth the money. We did stay one night in a cabin in Yellowstone--it was much nicer.

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2011
1:42 PM

Post #8723597

One more thing: Our purple martins had left by the time we arrived back home. :( We enjoy them so much, and they are here, it seems, for such a short time. They are the last birds to show up in spring: May, and the first birds to leave which is usually August. I think the heat was just too much and as soon as their babies were big enough, they took off. We miss their chortles and chatter, and admire how they seem to constantly encourage each other as they swoop around eating insects in the air. They have such camaraderie!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2011
3:15 PM

Post #8723793

birder, sounds as if you had a wonderful vacation! I use to live in Colorado and we figured out on really nice days not to go to the mountains cause they would be packed. We would go to the city and play and no one was around...rofl. 39 is a little cold for me, altho our weather has been miserable not as bad as tx and ok. How long were you gone? I bet it is amazingly beautiful up there. That is one direction I have never seen or lived, think I have been visiting or living in most of the other regions. Most everyone I know has green tomatoes but too hot to be ripening. They are just kind of in limbo.

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2011
5:09 PM

Post #8723999

It really is beautiful. I am glad Pres. Roosevelt had the forethought to make the area/s National Parks. Grand Tetons were prettier than Yellowstone and in my opinion, the Rockies. We were there a week.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2011
6:33 PM

Post #8724160

Oh, I am going to the Grand Tetons someday! That lake in the front (Jackson Hole lake is what it's called I think), and the Grand Teton mountains in the back is so beautiful, I've seen pictures.
I'd wanna live there too, but I'm not rich! Maybe I'll just pitch a tent there for a few years!

The pond is coming along, birder! I hope it doesn't turn into a bunch of maintenance, but maybe it'll be worth it! I had my first "pond-like visitor" to it today! A colorful blue dragonfly!! I'll insert a photo of it, it's quite striking I say!! Geez, I hope I'm not sorry about pond maintenance, I never really gave that much thot!

Thanks happ, I'll look into the pillow filter, it looks like it might work better in a little bigger pond than mine, I don't know if I have the water surface to keep a basket-like tote over the water.
Maybe I can make a smaller setup than what I saw. The pond I made only appears to be 250 or 300 gallons, I'm just guessing, anybody else want to hazard a guess on it's gallons?

Yeah, you really can't be too suspicious when it comes to strange cars and people skulking around, they could be up to no good. Maybe there is something on you're property that they've taken a shine to. I saw a homemade sign that said "I can reach the fence in 2.5 seconds", talking about a Pitbull or some big dog on Judge Judy I think it was. Maybe a dog down there would deter them. I have seen on tv where parks and peoples' property was used to grow Marijuana and other illegal drugs.

Hehe! "A gift that keeps on giving", which one?! I am very fortunate to have so many!

That frog doesn't work, I put new batteries in it and nothing. I like the idea of having a plastic frog tho that sounds like a bullfrog and goes "ribbit", now I want one!!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8724167

Heres that Dragonfly closer up! -

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8724191

I cut an old garden hose down the middle to hide all those jagged edges on the sides of the metal trellises I made. They were good to catch people's clothes or they're skin before!
Hehe.. thats where the Dragonfly landed ironically! I hope she/he finds a new place to land!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2011
6:58 PM

Post #8724253

Since the butterflies are pretty scarce this year, I have noticed a lot of different dragonflies. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, or is coincidence. I'd never noticed so many different colored ones before

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2011
9:03 PM

Post #8724499

I rescued a brown butterfly out of the waterpond oddly enuff this late afternoon. It was upside down in the water, I scooped it up and put it on the ground and it looked like it had been there all the time. It folded up it's wings and just sat there like it normally would! It was prolly glad to be out of the water. Maybe butterflies will come to get on all the shrubs and flowering plants I plan enmasse around the waterpond eventually. I gotta figure out where the shade is gonna be as well as the sun around the pond now. For instance, that Sum And Substance Hosta there under the Persimmon is getting scorched leaves and it was real nice where it used to be in the shade. That pot weighs like 50 lbs. and I didn't really wanna carry it back, but I will if I must! I'm not overly worried about it, it'll be losing it's leaves in about 3 months anyway, it might be more adapting next year. Thats when I'd be moving it right away at first sign of scorch, it just is starting to look bad now tho, and I want my plants to always look nice.
Here is my pond tonite. All that dirt in the front of the photo is gone, I shoveled it all up tonite and put a screen of sorts there to catch mud and small debris since. If it rains tonite, which it just might, I could get to see how my handiwork works! But, that won't likely be good for the waterlilies, from what I read, they don't like much moving water, because of the temperature change. But, I'd really like waterlilies AND moving water, I need to have moving water to keep down the skeeters.
Will

This message was edited Jul 30, 2011 4:12 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2011
4:47 AM

Post #8724748

Happ, rain! That's great!

Nice link, I don't think you could do it much cheaper than that.

I'm glad you didn't find anyone or anything, but I'm sure curious as to why the cops, if they were, were on your property in the first place.

I've got plenty of tomatoes, all green :o(

Birder, that sounds wonderful! Fall is not my favorite time of the year, but I think this year it will be welcome. As long as it cools down.

I've never seen so many raccoons this year! On the highway I've seen a couple of Mamas with two babies hit by vehicles. They sure are messy pests and I don't feel too bad seeing them dead. They are also getting dog distemper.

Awww, I'd have missed the horse too, but you're right. A swing set when we were kids was a luxery!

I look at other's ponds. The neighbor has one that rushes with water. That's not for me either. I like the what is that? calm sound. With all the work involved I will most likely just imagine one, LOL!

Around here, the richer folk are buying into country lots to put up fancy houses. I think they just ruin a good piece of country.

Awww, we hardly see the Martins anymore :o(

Will, a dragonfly! That's wonderful! He has the double wings with the black stripes. Nice!

The Cannas, but all flower gifts are good :o)

Crit, I have only seen 7 different butterflies, if you want to count the cabbage moth. I have to laugh, I started with 5 butterflies then remembered another, and another! I still don't think that's enough. I had many more kinds last year.

Will, if you had a saucer sled you could move the pot a little easier.

Awesome on saving the butterfly!

Your dragonfly is counting on skeeters, LOL!

It's looking good! Clear the water up and you'll have it made!

If you get mosquitos you can pour just enough oil, olive, canola etc. on the pond to smother any mosquito larvae.

The Grandkids will be waking up soon. I'm living on borrowed time, LOL!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2011
7:46 AM

Post #8725038

These are the instructions I used to make my biological filter for my pond and it works great 95% of the time and all I have used for years now. These instructions are for a bigger pond than yours but if you go down to the bottom they talk about a mini filter and display pics (you will have to read the instructions on the bigger filter to understand the smaller filter). Everyone will have alge blooms in 100 degree weather. Actually ponds are not that hard to take care. I clean the pump filter whenever it get dirty by squirting it with water which isn't tough...LOL Then in the spring I really clean the pond by lowering the water using a net and cleaning the goop out of the bottom, fill it back up and it is good to go. This is the first time I have ever covered it and probably didn't need to but just worried about the fish. Then in the fall when the leaves start falling I cover it with used screen to keep the leaves out. The decaying leaves will kill the fish. Then I net up the leaves that may have fallen in before winter.

Water lilies will grow any where I think except in shade they aren't too happy and in rushing water, but mine grow close to the waterfall. I will take pics today.

Raining here and cool, YES!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2011
7:46 AM

Post #8725039

There is also some little disks called DUNK that I put in my birdbaths and water tank to keep mosquito's down. They are suppose to last for 30 days.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2011

Post #8725058

Well, the death toll is 160 now May tornado in Joplin, MO
Also all the debris is now 80 % almost clean but not yet still ordeal until Aug 31 as I am not sure what I miss the new said...

Heat still keep change to Aug. 3...
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2011
9:20 AM

Post #8725211

I saw that KC got rain. You're lucky.

We have dragonflies also. They like to be around water, so I don't know what the heck they are doing here! We have been getting them the last few years, and I surely welcome them. They like skeeters, and I think they are quite pretty and add interest to a garden. I have read that if one has dragonflies, it shows your garden is healthy e.g. a good eco-system. Love your pretty dragonfly, Will.

I pulled weeds yesterday. I would pull awhile and then go inside to cool off and then back out again. I don't have as many weeds, but the ones I have are quite large. Things really change in a yard in one week. You don't realize it until you're gone a week! I have a bunch of Christmas Cactus I started from a few leaves a few years ago. I was amazed at how big they had grown in one week.

I have Sum and Substance hosta. It's a gorgeous one. It's in the ground underneath our deck steps by the patio. I don't do anything to it, and it just gives a lot of pleasure.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2011
10:30 AM

Post #8725306

Rusty, to have such a horrible tornado, then rain on rain that you all had, then blazing hot days with no shade since everything got blown away is more than I can even believe. I don't know how they are cleaning up all that stuff in this heat. I did see where they were giving building permits out.

Looks like I forgot to send the web page to the biofilter http://www.skippysstuff.com/biofiltr.htm

birder that is one of my favorite hostas I have, sum & sub just pops in the garden I think. I have managed to get quite a few hostas. I love the little tiny ones also. I bought several Christmas Catus last year of all different colors. I also started some and I gave some to my Mom and she started some.

Well got to get back out I am transplanting a giant elephant ear and repotting some starts. Gotta get it moved back to the shade. I have been fighting spider mites on it so I cut all the leaves off, dumped the soil, washed the giant pot, went and took a bath to get any spider mites off me so I don't spread them and I am ready to return it to its home in the shade. Geehz.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2011
2:12 PM

Post #8725707

Oh.. thats great news about waterlilies growing under you're waterfall, happ. Waterlilies is the number one reason I made a waterpond and not a raingarden. My friend here wanted a raingarden only to solve the runoff/mud problem. I had to grovel and beg to have a waterpond, now it just has to also function as a way to empty out like it is, and solve the runoff/mud effectively while supporting plants and stuff. If you look at the back of it, it is shaped like a funnel, it has been working like I planned so far, only time will tell I guess! I hope it works well into the future or my name is mud! Here it is today. - I know theres a water garden forum but I like sharing here with people I know! Those blue plastic Maxwell House coffee cans have so many uses, I find a use for all of them! My camera is in one of those and the other one is a waterer. They are waterproof with the lid on of course! : ) One time, about a month ago, I left the one with my camera in it outside.
It stormed like crazy that nite, but my camera didn't get a drop of water on it! It was the storm that tore up trees and stuff, a biggie! I don't drink coffee, but the disabled lady here drinks it like it's going out of style.

Thanks birder! Thats what I'll do, put a Sum And Substance Hosta under the deck steps! I was trying to come up with something to plant there. I tell you, I sometimes drag my feet on what to do, there is so much to do! I just need to do stuff! I'm trying not to walk around with my hands empty as much. Of course, it never works out that way, but I can at least say I tried! : )

Thanks birder, I hope that Dragonfly wants to come back. At least she/he knows about it now!

Hehe! The Mini-Me Skip Jr.! I may be doing that, I might even have the components for it, or a facsimile of! Thanks for posting the link, happ. I'll bookmark skippysstuff, it's neat.

Glad to hear you guys in Joplin are coming back and everything, Rusty. Sorry to hear about the injuries and loss of life. 160 dead, that is a bunch, so many people there would know the deceased, the living victims.

I heard about Dunks, Crit, I might be buying those if it gets bad. Having mosquitoes to have dragonflies is a pretty good argument tho, I might need to keep the mosquitoes!

Hmmm... a saucer sled eh? I might get one to drag stuff, thanks billyp. I still have a good back! I'm not too proud to ask for help or just not carry something if it's too heavy. I'm not living my life with a hernia, altho, hernias can be fixed.

Yeah, the Cannas are a wonderful gift. They are getting more leaves all the time, they are going to make a fine addition. And, they are somewhat hardy, not January hardy, but I can wait till early Nov. or so to bring it in. They are like the Strawberry Begonia and the Purple Wandering Jew on surprise hardiness.
I figgered something out I think, I'm going to have a desert/rock garden (complete with cow skull and cacti), a tropical area (w/ Banana 'Basjoo' as the anchor), a shady area, (with Hostas and Ferns etc.) And of course, this glorious watergarden, and a regular garden with Tomatoes and Sweet Corn and stuff, maybe next year.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2011
3:42 PM

Post #8725869

Will your pond is small enough you could get away with a large plastic flower pot used as a pond filter and put plants in the top of it. I would in the section behind the pond where you have run off plant moisture loving plants to try to soak up part of the dirt. I would love to have a soggy spot in my yard. It is coming right along!
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8726014

Will, I admire your motivation. Could you send some of that down here? :)
I am doing good just pulling weeds and keeping plants watered. No projects here. I get real ambitious around February and March and get a few things accomplished in the Sp. But, in July--nope, nothing, nada!
We have several "house" projects to do this fall. I doubt the garden/s will get much attention.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2011

Post #8726199

Oh, I have LOTS of big flower pots! I might try that, thanks happ. I like that idea too, plants in the filter pot!
Well, I found a use for all those rocks I collected from roadside bluffs last ear! They go around the pond and there is still alot left, altho I think thats all the big rocks, but I had enuff big ones.
Thanks birder, oh you're just being humble, I bet you have plenty of ambition! I'm not really overly ambitious, it comes and goes in spurts of about a year apart! lol

Here my pond is this evening after I did the rocks. I only fell on my backside once and only dropped one smaller rock on my foot, which felt nice! It only pinched my toe because it fell more on the side of my shoe, luckily for me, next time I'll wear my steel-toed boots!

Oh, it gets plenty soggy back there where rainwater flows out of the former hole! The Persimmon tree will get plenty of water! I'm thinking about doing something up in that area, maybe laying down the excess liner, then coating (and adhering) it with Missouri River Rocks that I have extra.

I saw the splash of something that jumped in the pond, I'm thinking it's a frog. I'll watch for it now, I hope whatever it is, eats some little mosquitoes, there are plenty of them I think!
Thats a Lilac in the front, I was just photographing it, I'm putting it back pretty soon. I just wanted to show my friend here the pic, when we bought it for $6.99 over a year ago, it was tiny, it's growing good now.

See that fountain-like birdbath-looking thing back there? I was thinking about keeping it there on that excess liner part and having one of my 2 little $9.99 HarborFreight 190 gph pumps go up that and the idea is to have it empty back into the pond. With the other little cheap pump, I was thinking about doing a waterfall of sorts, I don't think it'll be much more than a trickle. It's not a big horsepower big money pump for $9.99 on sale! : )
I guess you get what you pay for, but I'm pretty cheap, maybe they'll last awhile! As somebody with a part-time job, I want to keep costs down! If the light bill goes up much, I'm also in trouble!
Will

This message was edited Jul 30, 2011 9:19 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8726208

Oops, I meant to insert this photo, it's more recent. -

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2011
4:06 AM

Post #8726807

Happ, I'm glad you have a nice pond to enjoy. I'd love to see pictures!

I couldn't believe it. I happened to look in the birdbaths yessterday and saw mosquito larvae. I just scrubbed those out the other day and put in fresh water! We dumped all of them and I will rescrub and refill them today. DH found larvae in two watering cans, but I was sure I used fresh pumped water so it wouldn't be hot. Someone must have topped them off with tainted water. At least they didn't hatch!

Rusty, it would be awful to start cleaning up house debris and find a dead person. So very sad that the death toll has to rise.

I hope this heat wave breaks pretty soon. We're going to start August already! In a few weeks, kids will be going back to school!

Birder, awesome about the dragonflies! I guess my gardens are in good shape. Just what I hoped to achieve!

The nice thing about big weeds is the big empty space they leave when pulled, LOL! They're my favorite! Tree seedlings are my least favorite and I see a couple that have sneaked in. I'm using pliers to pull them out. Or else I'll have t dig down and cut them below ground.

Smiling over the Christmas Cactus :o)

All my Hostas, but one were given to me. None are fancy, but I do enjoy them. I have learned, in a small bed, things planted on the backside detract from their overall shape. This Fall, I need to fix that.

Happ, smiling, the only Hosta I bought was a mini called "Just So." I'd get more. They are really cute. I'm also starting to really like those with a lot of white in their leaves.

Spider mites like it hot and dry don't they?

Will, I'm glad the pond is working as planned. Now, will the runoff be muddy and put extra dirt into the water? Do you need a layer of rock in the runoff path to help filter out the dirt?

What a great way to keep your camera dry. I would have panicked if I even left mine out, LOL!

We drink coffee twice a day, so it wasn't hard to get enough plastic cans over the winter to put around the plants. It sure has worked out with watering! If I hoe, and I am not a good hoer, I don't cut into anything.

A strong back is good, and taking care of it even better.

Awesome!! Skulls are neat! I love the idea of all the different beds!

Laughing, love the picture. It shows a bit of everything and I was going to ask how the wagonload of flowers was doing.

Happ, neat sloution to the runoff!

Birder, I'm not too ambitious either. It's too hot to move plants and that's what I need to be doing.

Will, great use for the large rocks! They will hold the liner down and finish out the top!

ROTFL, as long as you weren't hurt falling and dropping!

Oh wow, it's really starting to look nice with the rocks. I love how the curves fi t together. I do like the fountain pump there too. It will be nice to sit and look at it.

ALL the plants look good!

Has your friend been out to watch your progress?

We took the Grandkids home yesterday, so I have the whole week to get out and do something! in the yard! It's killing me to not move anything :o)
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2011
11:20 AM

Post #8727593

Looking good Will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Billy ... you can also add just a little bit of bleach to the water. It won't hurt the birds, but will keep the larvae down.

I found spider mites on my EE's and Taro's. So I got out my Windex with amonia and sprayed everything good. Cut off the leaves that looked yucky and sprayed down in to the canal where new leaves would be sprouting. Everything is looking better now. Those little buggers are a pain, but the windex (actually it is the cheapest window cleaner I could find with amonia in it!) really wipes them out good.

Will, this is my Antique/Host/Cactus garden, complete with old milkcan, old totally wooden ladder, old wood and cow skull. ^_^ There is a hosta in the upper left corner behind the drift wood too. The cactus are hens n chicks in the rock by the milkcan and the wood on the right side. Also have a sedum in there. They don't get watered when I do the hosta. Also a little purple heart jew. The ladder, wood and cow skull have traveled all over with me as I moved from one state to another, until I finall y ended up here.

Thumbnail by Crit

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2011
11:24 AM

Post #8727601

OH, and there is my reflection in the window. LOL It is a work in progress. Still gathering host for there.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2011
12:11 PM

Post #8727699

Hi Sally, I made a before and after picture of the watergarden. It took over a year to get this far! I hope this windowscreen/patio block contraption catches some of the mud, which is considerable.
You know, I think they mighta renamed Christmas Cactus to Spring Cactus, the only reason that I can think of is the former name was controversial. Or is it 2 separate plants? I saw a bunch again at Walmart that looked just like Christmas Cactus but they were labeled Spring Cactus. Why not name it Winter Cactus?! And THIS is what I worry about!!

That wagonload of flowers (Marigolds) I think are done for the year. The flowers are all brown and shriveled up. Some were hanging over the ground so I pulled them off and threw them in the wagon. I want the steenking Marigolds IN the wagon not around the wagon on the ground!

Hehe! I fall down gracefully, I go down with whatever it is I'm carrying haha! I don't try to be courageous and flail around and try to catch what I was carrying and catch my fall and everything,
I'll go down to the ground! I think thats worked in my favor in my life, it's like my secret to being injury free, knock on wood!

She hasn't been out to see it, but she saw the photos and praised me, (which makes it all worth it, I'm all about the praise!)! I told her if she goes outside she can't miss it! She still gives me a hard time about how she wanted a raingarden, not a waterpond! When she sees how nice it is later, I hope she'll think different!

Ack! Mosquito larvae is the scourge! The other day I needed to get in the pond to do something and I had that mosquito larvae all over me, I was appalled!! I had those water spiders running up my back, oh it was disgusting!! But, after a few minutes after I was out I forgot all about it, I don't think I even showered!!

I set the big rocks down slowly so not to puncture the liner. When I take the liner up, boy thats gonna be a lot of work!
Thanks for the compliments on it.

I have had a cow skull in storage for 5 years to use in a desert/rock garden. I asked a DG lady in TX. (she had a neighboring cattle ranch and has lots of them, her dogs always dragged them to her yard) to mail me one and I haven't used it yet!

Oh, nice desert garden there, Crit! I love the old accents, like the antique milk can and the old wood ladder too! And that cow skull!
I read just yesterday or the day before that bleach kills all living things, including plants. I was reading on what to do about mosquito larvae.
Thanks Crit. I want to finish that waterpond, my friend here says I don't finish stuff, but I do, I'll show her!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2011
12:33 PM

Post #8727751

It was dark when I took this photo so it's a bit blurry. This stretches across the front of the pond, it's about 10 feet long, I'm hoping it will catch some mud.

Oops, here is that screen thing I homemade.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2011
1:19 PM

Post #8727805

rofl, Will put her a rain garden right there...then you'll both be happy...rofl.

Here are a few pics of mine. Mine is built into the side of the earth berm on our house. I put it there because the dirt kept falling down and I wanted to try the water garden before I built a big one. I did everything myself from digging the hole to carrying the rocks to you name it. Building the waterfall and laying the rocks and rearranging the rocks I have fallen into the pond more than once. I don't know who it shocks worst me or the fish...rofl.

Mine is all made with concrete landscape blocks except for the waterfall. The blocks then go on around the berm and flowers and planted in it.

Thumbnail by happgarden

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2011
1:20 PM

Post #8727808

Here is looking down from the top of the waterfall, you can see how high up the berm really is. I had a pink waterlily blooming yesterday, today I have a small yellow.

Thumbnail by happgarden

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2011
1:24 PM

Post #8727819

Will my iris use to set on the waterfall and survived just fine all summer and all winter, but I have stuck them in my home made filter. My black tank is full of pads used on floor cleaners, I got them at the mop store, I think it is called in North Kansas City. They are not in a pot, just them and their roots, no dirt.

Thumbnail by happgarden

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2011
1:27 PM

Post #8727829

Will I moved a rock so you could see the pipe coming out of the black tub, it is hidden by rocks or if you just want a spout you could shoot it directly to the pond, my pump is too big and it would look like a fire hydrant shooting out.

Thumbnail by happgarden

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2011
1:29 PM

Post #8727835

This is what the pond looked like with the pillow and the screen, not very nice but it is so hot and it is on the west side of the house and since the pine trees are gone not one ounce of shade. I pulled the pump out so you could see it also. I have never covered the pond before but we have never had days on end of over 100 degrees either.

Thumbnail by happgarden

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2011
1:38 PM

Post #8727863

Well don't want to leave that ugly image in your head so here is the last one. The pillow trick really works, the water is clean enough you can see the fish and the pot that is under water. Thank goodness for the water lilies or you could see the pump, piping pots and everything...rofl

Thumbnail by happgarden

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2011
2:28 PM

Post #8727954

B-E-A-UTIFUL pond there Happ. I'm SOOOOO impressed you did that all yourself. You are just a jack of all trades my dear.

Will, I think your pond is going to be a thing of beauty when you get done. I can't believe your friend hasn't been out to see it!!! I wouldn't be able to NOT go look. Now tell me, what is a "rain garden" that she wanted. Not familiar with that.

I have a place I want to put a pond, but that is a project for another time. One of these days I will be able to do it. May have to bring Will and Happ down to help me out!

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2011

Post #8728543

Hehe.. a raingarden is just rainwater that washes in from storms. It's more drainage and temporary than a waterpond. It doesn't have standing water in it long, so it couldn't support fish.
It would prolly entail way less work, but less satisfaction and enjoyment too! I balked pretty good on just a raingarden, no plants, no fish.
A raingarden isn't all bad, I may still make one to appease her and get some experience, I'd do it up with rocks and stuff. I'd prolly even do some digging, so it runs like a river, maybe even put my little bridge over it.

There IS somebody in the window!

Thats a nice watergarden you have there happ! Those must be the tropical waterlilies, they are bigger?! Eeek! I want blooming waterlilies, how neat is that?! That means they are definitely happy there! That was a lot of work, but it looks real nice. I love the landscape blocks.

Here is my waterpond tonite, see the trickle way back there? The trickle is coming down that big, flat rock in the middle kinda. It's a pretty good trickle, that worked out good, I'm surprised. Thats a clean water pump though, (the particle acceptance is tiny) it'll prolly need cleaning in a couple days, if not tomorrow. For a filter, I just did something fast. I put the pump in a knee-high panty hose and sealed up the end and just dropped it in there.
The knee high panty hose was black! Whats going on here, is my friend a lady of the night!!
At first, well actually a couple hours, I was stumped because my 2 cheap little pumps wouldn't work.
I was like, "okay, I've been had again", "I thought it was a good deal for $9.99 each, but they don't work!"! So, come to find out, much time and sweat later, that the old strip outlet was bad, so I hooked it up directly and it went like a house-a-fire! The second photo will be from the other side.

Sure Crit, I'd come down to help you on it. I don't know if those big limestone rocks are you're thing, but they're free when you get the fallen ones off the side of the highway like I did.
I'd suggest going quite a bit bigger than mine, maybe twice that size. It worked out okay for me but just barely! Bigger ponds are gonna need bigger everything, like pumps and the liner, that was a bit more money than I wanted to do myself.

Thanks for showing me the pump and filters and stuff happ. I need to do something there, before I burn up my little cheap pumps.
You have a lot of water plants there happ. If you want to get rid of some, I'd gladly relieve you of some! Hehe.. you fell in you're pond!!
You're pond is bigger than mine, maybe 500 gallons?
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2011

Post #8728545

Here is the view of it from the front, or the South side.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2011

Post #8728548

This wren was letting me have it all afternoon!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2011

Post #8728549

Heres that trickle, I tried to zoom in on it and it's just a bad photo, it's a perfect trickle tho. You can still hear it like 50 feet away.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2011

Post #8728550

The Marigolds in this wagon are done I'm pretty sure, for the year!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2011
7:18 PM

Post #8728578

Marigolds, I think are done. Pretty soon you will be able to put pansies in the wagon.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2011
7:21 PM

Post #8728585

Pansies eh? I have another wagon, new in the box to put flowers in, thanks for the idea birder!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2011
7:58 PM

Post #8728646

That is a perfect rock for the trickle, is that water pooling up on top? If so you will have birds and butterflies landing there on the side. My waterfall will have birds up there on the edge getting a drink. Did you find the frog that you thought leaped in? They are pretty hard to spot, usually there eyes will peer up waiting to see when you get out of the way...LOL You will be surprised that will make a big difference in the mosquito population. They do not like moving water and if you have a frog he will eat some of them.

Thank you Crit, the pond is far from perfect but I am proud of it. I wanted to make a small one before I did the big one so I could figure out all the things I did wrong. I have learned alot...rofl. If I would of had to wait for DH I would still only have a whiskey barrel water garden...LOL Gardening is not his thing. Sides I kind of have this idea that if he can do it I can do it. Course would of been alot less work for me if he would of done it... ;)

The waterlilies are all hardy or at least I hope so, most I have had for several years but got one that is suppose to be hardy from another DG'er . I haven't purchased any. When I use to go to the water garden meetings I think they said you should have 75% of the pond covered with plants if you have fish during the summer. My lotus isn't doing much, probably needs fertilizer but I am afraid to cause more alge to bloom... I can sure give you some papyrus but it is not winter hardy, I keep it in the garden room in a cooler full of water. Did you weight yours down with a rock? The tall thing in the center blooms, cant think of the name right now.

My water garden is pretty deep, center about 4 feet or more, can't remember now, anyway I think I calculated it when I went to get the pump and it was actually 2,000 or more gallons. It is probably 5 1/2 feet wide at the widest, and 7 ft long maybe a little more. I made it deep to keep the fish year round. I was surprised how many gallons it was. The hardest thing for me is to leave things alone like the waterfall. I actually think I finally have it the way I want or it has been too hot for me to mess with it...

This pic is of the plant that adds oxygen to the pond, they told me it wouldn't survive the winter but it is going great for the last few years. See the fishys? They just come running when you show up wanted fed, even if you just fed them.

Thumbnail by happgarden

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2011
9:39 PM

Post #8728800

Thanks happ. I don't think it's ponding up there. When I was first putting that tube there the water was running and it went everywhere, it got all over that rock and around there. But, I think it's gonna stay in the pond. If it's lower tomorrow I'll know for sure!
Pretty fish there happ.

See that stray cat up there in the photo?! I think it was after that Wren, it never caught it I'm sure! Pretty cat tho, first time I'd seen it.

That is a lot of gallons happ, that is a good year around depth for fish, no worrying. I just have the one deep hole, it prolly goes down 26", it was 28" but the liner and settled debris have prolly reduced it.

I never did see that frog again. If it was there, it was stealthy!

It was www.skippysstuff.com where I read that bleach kills life, scroll down to "balance" then "example" - http://www.skippysstuff.com/tip4dumy.htm
"Tips for Dummies" If it says "Dummies" I read it!! That one is "Basic Pond Construction for Dummies".
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2011
4:27 AM

Post #8729042

Crit, really? I think I will. Maybe I better take the pennies our first. I wouldn't want a reaction. I can't tell if they are keeping the algae down or not, but they sure clean the spot they're laying on.

Laugghhing, I'm learning a lot. The neighbor kids take Windex with them in the Spring, for gnats when they're fishing.

I love the little bed!
Cracking up over your reflection! I first noticed mine in the headstones, and have learned to take a picture sideways :o)

Will, laughing! Plant names are all confusing to me. I think they try to sell the same plants under new names in the catalogs too. Only if it's a hybrid or has someone's name on it, does it seem to keep the name over the years. It's a bit annoying when you want a real name for something.

I'm suprisingly injury free myself, LOL! I have learned to jump back as soon as I drop a knife!

All about the praise. Aren't we all! I can not believe she hasn't peeked yet!! I think she'll be amazed!

Laughing, I hope you had skeeter larvae all over you so they would die after you go out of the water.

It's amazing how far you've come! It looks really good!!

I hope it catches the rmud too.

Happ, I was thinking both could be had too, LOL!

You never cease to amaze me with all that you do!

That is really beautiful!

How did your berm come to be?

VERY nice Happ!

Will, that would be a great way to enjoy your bridge! If you could connect the two it would look awesome!

Cracking up over the panty hose!! Cracking up over how silly panty hose sounds!

Well, the pond and the trickle looks great and I can't wait to see it all finished. If something doesn't work, you'll have all Fall to figure it out.

It looks like the wagon was too hot. Maybe you can start a mini desert there.

Happ ROTFL over ''Course would of been alot less work for me if he would of done it."

How did you fill your pond? Our house pump would burn up, or it would take a week to fill it slowly.

The fishys are awesome! So that's what that plant is! Pretty cool!

Will, laughing! If he was there, he'll be back! He's just waiting for you to finish.

We were out at the peat bog and I spotted this bullfrog. DH tried to get close for size reference. I got one picture before he jumped.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2011
6:42 AM

Post #8729293

Just scurrying by before I take Polly to the vet and go in for my back injections.

Will, if I may offer a suggestion???? Instead of the panty hose, wrap a piece of house screen around your pump and secure it, to keep the larger stuff away from it. It will stay put and you can lift the pump out and spray everything off of it, or maybe just pick it off. The panty hose will suck up to the filter and I'm afraid, in time, will burn it up because it is making the pump work harder to get the water. Fill up a panty hose with water and watch how long it takes to empty. I use screen around all my fountain pumps. Makes a big difference. Had one that didn't have a screen on it that got stuff wedged in it and burnt it up.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2011
12:16 PM

Post #8729880

Crit that sounds like a good idea with the screen and the pump. Back injections...yuck! I have spider mites everywhere, I am gonna have to try the windex trick. Stop by dollar general on the way home, then after the sun sets start spraying. Now the ee's that I have planted in the barrel for the city have them! Dang I hate that.

I would think adding a little bleach to the bird water would be the same as the city adding clorinadtion to the drinking water. I know in a pond it is not good, throws everything out of balance, but it will clear out algae in a heart beat.

Billy, I have a giant well probably 4 feet across the top, with great flow, I am lucky in that respect. OK, I am blind I couldn't see the bull frog, I did read the really big frogs will eat my fish, so I don't want any huge ones. I have had lots of tadpoles before, I think some of the fish ate them. And I don't want to see my reflection in a headstone...rofl, that made me do a double take...rofl. Do you do genealogy?
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2011
4:15 PM

Post #8730494

That is my thinking on the bleach and chloronation Happ

This is what we are living with here today. This is my thermometer this afternoon. It goes up to about 110.5 when the wind isn't blowing through on it. Can you spell m-i-s-e-r-a-b-l-e? I feel so bad for my DH. His shop at the dealership doesn't have any windows on the east or north side they can open to get a draft through. Just one walk through door on the south and 3 big garage doors on the west. They have some big fans in there, but all the do is move around the hot air in there. (kind of like some of us! No names mentioned. lol)

Thumbnail by Crit

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2011
5:36 PM

Post #8730678

Well, am back from my trip down south. Had a great time!! Stopped in Joplin to visit some relatives of my friend Lori and took a quick trip down Range Line Rd to see some of the damage. Didn't have to go far. One of the relatives lives just a few short blocks from where it starts. Saw Home Depot and some other businesses.

The pics aren't the greatest. Traffic was horrible so I was driving and aiming at the same time. This is across the street from Home Depot. You can see some of the damage on the trees and the building in the distance was destroyed.

Thumbnail by pepper23

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2011
7:47 PM

Post #8731023

Hi all,
Glad you had a good time Pepper! Wow, that pic Pepper shows how flat it is now.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say, "except knives" hehe! I'll throw a knife (or anything sharp) away from me if I'm falling!
Thanks Sally, I can't stay away from the pond now!

Sure Crit, glad you mentioned that, it solved a pump problem today. That hadn't occurred to me that panty hose might be doing more harm than good. I put window screen around both of them and they are working good. Altho, now there is a problem somewhere with the electricity I think, it may be the outlet isn't providing it steady enuff perhaps. The flow of water comes out of the pumps kinda in an alternating way, like it's spitting, but it's still better than nothing I guess. I inserted a photo of a pump all wrapped up in window screen and stapled shut. I went out there early to see how much mud and stuff accumulated on the pump's intake, it was caked on! I took it off, and threw it, and of course, it all lands right on a pole to look nice!
The water still seems to be full of mosquito larvae, I thought a pump would do away with larvae?! The larvae seems to be very near the surface, maybe they are worried!

Eeeek! That IS hot Crit!! It is very warm here, but not OK. hot!! Tomorrow it's supposed to be 105, we'll see if it gets that hot, that is up there! - http://www.weather.com/weather/today/64054:4:US

It's time for a new thread, anybody want to do the honors?! I'm gonna do like you guys, post Aug. 1st in July's.. hehe!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2011
9:38 AM

Post #8731973

I let you know that I won't be on Internet for now (cancel)...
So Long everyone! Bye...

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2011
10:54 AM

Post #8732087

Oh Rusty hate it, wish you could stay with us. Yell when you get back on.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2011
2:58 PM

Post #8732469

Glad that worked out for you Will. Did you think to spray the pump to clean anything out that might of gotten inside before you put it in the screen? If not, you could still probably go ahead and do it.

Some may see this on another thread, and I'm sorry if you do, but:
On a sad note, I lost my best gardening friend this morning ... Polly. She had been sick since Friday. Went to the animal emergency room Saturday and back to my vet this morning. It wasn't 2 hours after I dropped her off they called to tell me they had lost her. They resusitated her once, but couldn't get her back the 2nd time. Blood tests showed stuff all over the charts from too low to too high. Kidneys were all but shut down and her heart just gave out. She would of been 8 in October. Didn't know if she had gotten heat exhaustion or what. She stayed in the house and had a doggy door to go in and out, but if I was outside, she was there with me. Several times I had to lock her in to make her stay inside. I brought her home and my DH dug a nice grave for her in this rock hard dry ground that we have. Every time I look out my back window or go to the back yard I will see it and think of her. Polly-Wog, Polly-Wog Dog, Polly-Wolly Doodle, Little Fat Dog... RIP my dear little fur baby. See the heart on her side? That is how big her heart was!!!!!!! The little grandkids could waller her all over and she just loved it She WILL be missed!

Thumbnail by Crit

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2011
3:00 PM

Post #8732472

At 4 this afternoon we were at 112*. The hottest part of the day is usually between 5 & 6. Will let you know if it changes. I have the sprinkler on my front shaded flower bed. The birds and hummers are loving it!

One more of my little gardening buddy. Wherever I was, she was. Even in the house!

Thumbnail by Crit

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2011

Post #8735249

Sorry to hear about Polly. I don't look forwards to the day my old cat Whiskers dies. I've had him since a year after we moved in here. About 14 years now I think. He's still going strong though, even in this heat. But being out in the country surrounded by woods there are plenty of cool spots for him to go to and he finds them when needed.

Had flu yesterday. Am mostly over it today. Head and neck hurt a bit but nothing major. Took time today to pull my tomato plants. My tomatoes were starting to rot on the vine so all the ones I could save got pulled and the plants are out and on the compost pile. Now hopefully my peppers, cukes and yellow squash will do better. Sweet potato vine is happy as a clam so no worries there. lol

Pic of Elk River from canoe on Saturday. This was before we hit the party crowds.

Thumbnail by pepper23

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2011
5:28 PM

Post #8735254

Will, you are supposed to post a link!! LOL. I would have posted over there otherwise.

Link for new August thread!!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1204534/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Central Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
You have to guess what this is - it's in my garden. LOL crystalnurse 181 Sep 22, 2010 10:54 AM
dahlias-How to store allysgram 18 Apr 18, 2007 4:39 PM
Stargazer Lily Bulbs Question cedarnest 19 Jul 3, 2007 8:42 PM
Let's go gardening! Terry 12 Jun 21, 2014 10:28 PM
Speaking of winter MaryinLa 5 Mar 3, 2007 2:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America