Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Aroids: Dwarf Stingray ?

Communities > Forums > Aroids
bookmark
Forum: AroidsReplies: 20, Views: 233
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 2, 2011
5:23 AM

Post #8667508

Has anyone heard of a Dwarf Stingray...
I was given ( actually it was a rescue) this baby Stingray...it has a tag that says Dwarf Stingray.

I've googled it but only found info on the regular Stingray.

Thumbnail by mjsponies
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bwilliams
Louisville, KY

July 2, 2011
6:42 AM

Post #8667648

Never heard of it. Possibly a new mutation out of TC most likely.
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 2, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8668462

I've not seen or heard of a "dwarf stingray" but I recognize the possibility. It is likely only from a TC mutation and if it happens, it would be pretty rare, especially if unrecognized by the lab before the plantlets are sold. I've seen dwarfs of several commonly available plants and some have come from seed mutations rather than TC. If it really is a dwarf stingray, I would bet that it is not a "commercial" clone. More likely is that someone just slapped that name on the plant without it being a true dwarf.

LariAnn
Aroidia Research

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 2, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8668557

Ok..well I guess I'll find out after awhile...when it grows up ...
Thank You !!
bwilliams
Louisville, KY

July 2, 2011
10:39 PM

Post #8669028

I would agree with Lariann, but I do recognize the tag and if they took the time to print it up then it is most likely what it says it is. Not sure if is just an early release and odd mutation or just a small stingray. Time will tell.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 9, 2011
5:24 AM

Post #8800290

Well the little guys have been growing for 2 months now, should move I them to bigger pots ? They are not "root bound" per say but their roots have filled in the pots nicely. Don't know if they like loser shoes ?

Thumbnail by mjsponies

LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 9, 2011
5:30 AM

Post #8800303

Were it me, I'd keep them in those pots for a bit longer. Now that I've seen them, one difference is that they look all green on the petioles. Regular Stingrays have some mottling or coloration on the petioles. They seem to be holding a nice number of leaves, too.

Can't wait to see how they look in a month or so!

LariAnn

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 9, 2011
5:49 AM

Post #8800330

I'll keep posting pics...I just think they are adorable !

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2011
3:15 PM

Post #8834670

Well it's been about a month now. They've grown...and their roots have really filled out the pots...I'm thinking of just stepping them up one size.
Other than a bigger, they haven't changed in appearance. What do you think LariAnn - move em up one size pot ?

Thumbnail by mjsponies

LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 4, 2011
6:44 AM

Post #8835485

Were it me, I'd keep them in their pots as they are, especially going into the cooler weather and somewhat slower growth period ahead. They do look good - what is your fertilization regime? Also, I'm looking for pups to spring up so I can persuade you to send me one!

LariAnn

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2011
7:10 AM

Post #8835507

LOL...Ok, well I'm hoping they make little pups too ! Ummm, fertilizer, I use a concoction of Osmacote 13-13-13 and Dynamite 14-14-14. Osmacote breaks down faster for short term, Dynamite is slower release. I also give them a spray with Superthrive every once in a while. They get filtered sun most of the day, to a very short time of full sun maybe a few hours.
I haven't let them dry completely out. Should I let them dry out more now ? Right now they are still outside, but if we keep having these cooler nights I might move them into the greenhouse...I just hate doing that till I HAVE too.
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 4, 2011
12:07 PM

Post #8835874

I'd just be sure they get less water when temps are cooler because they won't dry out as fast and won't need as much water in cooler weather. Last thing you want is for the soil to stay too moist too long. Also, the Osmocote releases as a function of soil moisture, while the Dynamite releases as a function of moist soil temperature. This makes the Dynamite great for year round because in warm weather, it releases more, and in cool, less.

I use Nutricote 18-6-8 (industrial strength Dynamite) along with Superthrive and periodic weak applications of regular Miracle Gro soluble. I mix 1 tbs MG per 5 gallons warm water. For the record, using the weak MG 3 to 5 times per week makes tiny seedling Caladiums grow to full color size in about 6 months!

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

October 23, 2011
4:03 PM

Post #8860639

Hi LariAnn,

Did you ever use the MG thingy that goes on the hose? I have been thinking about it but have seen some negative comments. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Hap
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 23, 2011
5:29 PM

Post #8860746

Hap,

No, I've never tried that - I need more control over how much fert is in my mixes, so I continue with the soluble MG and mix it to my own requirements, which is usually more dilute than label strength. I'd be concerned about burning some of my tender plants if I used the MG hose thing at their dilution.

LariAnn

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 24, 2011
2:45 AM

Post #8861077

We tried it...once...a couple years ago...won't do that again...burned the leaves on several things

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

October 24, 2011
4:33 AM

Post #8861143

Yikes, Thanks for the info. kids.

That sure cancels my trip to Home Depot this am.

I had Scotts Lawn spray my plants and fert, and I really thought that some things got burned, but dismissed it for I thought that they would know what they were doing. Guess my initial thought was right.

Thanks again.

Hap

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 24, 2011
4:55 AM

Post #8861159

Hap, it might be ok if your careful not to hit the foliage...but with my jungle you can't avoid getting it on the leaves of something.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

October 24, 2011
6:45 AM

Post #8861300

Then how does one do foliage feeding?

Hap

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 24, 2011
10:17 AM

Post #8861589

Hap,
If I'm foliar feeding, I only do specific plants and I use a very dilute mix with a pump sprayer that puts out a fine mist.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

October 25, 2011
5:22 AM

Post #8862698

Ah, OK. Thanks, mj.

Hap
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

April 21, 2013
1:56 AM

Post #9491491

Boy this thread is over 2 years old!!

I just started watching AROID forum because of my collection and looking for SWAMP TARO.

I have sting ray from wells spring gardens and they multifly fast.

Belle

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Aroids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
How to ID elephant ears!!! bwilliams 37 Jul 5, 2012 11:15 AM
Colocasia Thai Giant- pics please AuntB 54 Aug 23, 2008 3:03 PM
Aroids to trade: skilledwithands 23 Jun 13, 2008 12:41 AM
The most over looked aroid in the araceae family. bwilliams 17 Apr 29, 2010 8:18 PM
Which of these is A. podophyllum and what's the other? Carter 7 Oct 1, 2007 3:24 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America