Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Lilies: Red Lilies and Ditch Lilies

Communities > Forums > Lilies
bookmark
Forum: LiliesReplies: 13, Views: 70
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

July 2, 2011
3:00 PM

Post #8668401

I have a big patch of good old ditchweed growing by the driveway ditch, and today they were in bloom, and also some tall very red lilies that are vigorous growers. I know better than to plant anything WITH the ditchweed, but I was thinking how terriffic a big watertank sized patch of red lilies right in the middle would look. Can you grow lilies in a big container or will they rot? I suppose I could poke drainage holes in the tank, and then put a heavy duty tarp down over the center of the DLs patch so they won't start growing into the holes. What do you think?
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 2, 2011
3:32 PM

Post #8668461

I have lilies gown from seed that are tnder and therefore have spent all their little lives in a pot. Just provide good drainage.
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

July 2, 2011
4:58 PM

Post #8668605

Do you bring them inside in the winter?
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 2, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8668635

Yes. I take them to the basement and give them a bit of water once a month.
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

July 2, 2011
5:31 PM

Post #8668663

That sounds like a good idea for tender bulbs, but these red lilies are very hardy. My main problem is not letting the ditch lilies take over - don't know if it is possible or not, they are pretty voracious!
Moby
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

July 3, 2011
8:06 AM

Post #8669492

Something you can do is cut the bottom out of a 5-gallon bucket or any heavy-duty plastic pot, sink the bucket flush and plant inside it. It work great for keeping things inbounds, like some grasses that spread by runners. It works for keeping other things out. :)
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

July 3, 2011
10:23 AM

Post #8669735

That sounds like something I can do - being on a dairy farm we have any number of 55 gallon plastic drums to recycle. I think it would probably have to be sunk down quite a bit to keep the DL roots out. Worth a try, although digging through a 40+ year old clump of ditchlilies might be a challenge! Another idea I had - find a scrap piece of cement or steel and put it over the center of the patch. Add some rock for drainage and them make a raised bed for the lilies with some kind of barrier for the DL's. Or maybe I could try just sitting the barrels (with drainage holes blocked with screen?) right on top of the DLs and see what happens over winter.
Moby
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

July 3, 2011
11:34 PM

Post #8670904

HA! Like that would kill ditch lilies...

Back when I was less experienced and didn't know the difference (stupid), I had left a clump of ditchlilies in the garage, in a black plastic bag, in a dark corner for 1 1/2 years. Planted it and those danged things didn't miss a beat. They're finally eradicated from my property.

I find the best way to work though them is to use a potato fork when the soil is moist. Sink that pot and fill it with soil from another area of your garden.
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

July 4, 2011
5:07 AM

Post #8671043

Why did you plant them???;>)
Moby
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2011
9:36 AM

Post #8671599

I had gotten several clumps of daylilies from someone tearing out a garden, and didn't know what each one was. Apparently, forgetting that chunk of orange ditchlilies in the garage was an omen that I didn't heed. ;)
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

July 4, 2011
1:43 PM

Post #8671978

Right - didn't you notice that it was in a black plastic trash bag?
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2011
2:27 PM

Post #8672069

LOL!!!
Moby
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2011
7:46 PM

Post #8672724

I must say (only in my defense) that those clumps had been cut flush to the ground. I had a mobile job at the time and came across these folks that had huge moving boxes by the curb, overflowing with blooming daylilies stems. My eyeballs nearly fell out of my head. So I asked if I could come by after work, and they were more than happy to let me dig all the clumps I wanted. Happened to have a roll of trash bags in the car...

Now I know that if something is showing signs of life after starving for 18 months, it should be taken far, far away. Perhaps the next county.

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2011
5:13 AM

Post #8673149

This just keeps getting better!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Lilies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
lilium White Henryi lincolnitess 55 Jan 1, 2008 4:30 PM
The sickness continues... ivory 268 Oct 23, 2007 9:34 PM
Lily Germination Leftwood 8 Apr 21, 2007 7:20 PM
Fasciated Lilys menkids 108 Dec 6, 2007 2:20 PM
my Lilium seeds germinated bloomoon 10 May 8, 2008 3:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America