FLOWERING IN JULY

Merino, Australia

I thought I might open the thread for the new month with my ever flowering purple alogyne ( native hibiscus)
It has flowers all year round. If you ever wanted a lovely evergreen tall shrub (small tree) try this.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

My dwarf sasanqua camellia. Only grows to 18"

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

Burgundy hellebore

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

Salvia 'Honey Melon'

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

zygo 'Cheyenne'

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Clifton Springs, Australia

A lovely way to start the month Jean..
I have Cheyenne, it's very pretty isn't it....I hope that your/my Epis flower this year...I can't wait to see the colours...
I grew a seedling camellia a few years ago that has only grown to about 30 cms so far, I don't know what it is going to do, because it's 30 cms is it's width, it's only about 10 cms high...It's a cross between
Little Jen and Cinnamon Cindy, it's the only Camellia that I have ever purposely hybridized...
It flowers quite happily, similar colour to yours....How long have you had your's? Does it have a name?

This Daphne has a lovely big bunch of flowers. it would be great if they were all like this...

Thumbnail by Seachanger
se qld, Australia

Some real beauties there to start the month Jean. One thing I've never grown is Daphne, Dianne, because I've never lived in a climate cool enough to keep them happy. It's very pretty.

Pam

Merino, Australia

Dianne, I have had the little camellia for about 6 years now and it flowers well each year. I may get around to repotting it one day.
It did have a name when I bought it but the tag has gone now.
I love daphne and have a small one growing which is yet to flower. My mum had a huge one in a half washing machine tub which moved around with us for as long as I can remember .
I am going to get a white one one of these days. I have some cuttings of the pink in the greenhouse. They tend to strike easily but die after a while. Maybe I will have better luck here where its not so hot as where I used to be.
Jean.

Magnetic Island, Australia(Zone 11)

Have any of you checked out this garden,it takes a while to go through,so make yourself a coffee/tea and enjoy

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v160/Ianrobert/?albumview=slideshow

Merino, Australia

Really lovely Mya, thanks for putting the link up. Definitely a warm area garden. I could see the plants needing coats down here.
Jean.

Clifton Springs, Australia

Beautiful Mya, I saw Buck's Fizz, I think, looking great....amazing what you can do in such a short time...
Thanks for putting it on...Now if only my Bat plant grows as well as that one.

se qld, Australia

I've been there, Mya. They're a lovely couple, and their garden is fantastic.

Pam

Sydney, Australia

Lovely Mya thanks so much ...a bit of the tropics won't go astray ...my place has been blacked out three times today as the trees are falling down ...big cold wind here.

Lucky you Pam, been there in real life ... wow.

Dianne isn't daphne fragrance mouth watering ?, that fragrance is right up there!

Love your pretties Jean ...too windy here everything is being blown sideways and torn up.

Victoria, Australia

Nice Daphne, I saw an enormous variegated one in a tiny front garden in inner city Melb the other day.

Extremely windy today, and an earthquake too... magnitude 4.4 is pretty big for Aust.

Quote from gardengal :
I've been there, Mya. They're a lovely couple, and their garden is fantastic.

Pam

Lucky you Pam,it must have been heaven.

West of Brisbane, Australia

You can often smell a daphne before you see it, that perfume wafts so well. (Like boronia, although that's a completely different type of perfume.)

Here's a closeup of a bloom in one of my hanging baskets. Bought a punnet on an impulse but the seedlings have barely grown. Just the odd flower now and again. Perhaps they will bloom properly in spring ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

A seedpod on my dwarf abutilon.
Hope it matures.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Very quiet here in the garden. Thankfully the frosts have been mild and the wind storms the other day werenot too bad.

Here are some Gazanias to brighten up the day - they seem to always be in bloom. A sharp spade is their only need! :)

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

... another.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Echium getting ready for spring.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Strelitzia.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Some pansies.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
Merino, Australia

Gazanias are so lovely in the sun. wayne, is that a white echium ?
It looks like the white I bought a while back, which has the more silvery leaves.
I have heaps of the common blue 'Pride of Madeira' as it self seeds relentlessly every where.
A noid zygo. .
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Yes, bright and sunny Jean, just what we need! The zygos are lovely, your collection must be looking good at present. Many of the residents at work have them on their window sills. We grow any bits that break off.

The Echium is a small blue. We took cuttings a couple of years back and have grown them on in the garden. Not sure if it is a named cv., lost its tag years back I guess. Here it is growing at work.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
Sydney, Australia

Loving the hot pansy colours, my giant strelitzia is covered in huge dark blue buds, looking about two foot long.The Gazanias just don't come back after cold wet Winters here, I don't know why, except it just gets too wet and cold (they were great in the drought). Some of the colours are amazing aren't they.
I don't have a photo so I thought you might like to see this ...I didn't know there was such a thing did you?

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cacti/msg0623590030541.html

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Don't know that one Chrissy. Helen gave me one and another from Judy - both died! :( Black thumbs me there with these plants!

Can feel a frost outside - too dark to see as yet. We plan to dig out the old lavenders and rosemary today to make way for a dwarf grafted Meyer lemon.

Here are some daffs coming up under 'Clementine'.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
Sydney, Australia

Mine too I think it's just too cold here poor things, I posted that because I had never heard of doubles before.
Not even one frangipani bloom this year, the buds came on too late and were frosted off!
I wanted to show cestrum this dear little bud on her tangerine prickly hibiscus cutting* they both look very healthy* , I don't know if it will bloom in these temps but what a dear little thing to put out that bud in Winter.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

That is unexpected, Chrissy. The parent plant is doing well up against a west-facing wall, but has no buds. I did sow some seeds but have (recently) only seen one small seedling; will be interesting to see what colour it turns out to be. That so-called tangerine is my favourite; there's a picture I posted of the tangerine and the pink at http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8156490 although I don't think it does the tangerine justice: the colour in real life is luscious, like watermelon.

Christchurch, New Zealand

my garden is sprouting in places, narcissus is flowering & daffs are starting to come up.
Still I guess spring is only two months away.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

my iris brings a bright splash of blue during the winter months

Thumbnail by dalfyre

an early spring flower...
the clump has really spread in the last couple of years & should look pretty with all the flowers out.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

Not a flower but ... a Michelia figo cultivar seedling picked fresh from my plant and sown in February, finally germinating more than 4 months later. This happened with my previous batch of M. figo seeds, although there might have been the odd one that germinated within a few weeks. I know that deciduous magnolias have some sort of germination inhibitor but it still surprises me that this evergreen species seems to have it too. As an experiment (if I get around to it) I should try to sown a few seeds that haven't gone red-ripe, so see if that makes a difference.

Meanwhile, I have two metre-high seedlings from the previous sowing that are yet to flower. They have the broader leaves of the cultivar (almost certainly Lady of the Night), not the narrow leaves of the species, and I'm curious to see if there's any difference in the flowers.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Merino, Australia

This is an older zygo named Cadys Lee. Has quite a large flower compared with some.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

Thor Nille.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

Christmas Cheer.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
se qld, Australia

Quote from cestrum_SEQ :
Not a flower but ... a Michelia figo cultivar seedling picked fresh from my plant and sown in February, finally germinating more than 4 months later. This happened with my previous batch of M. figo seeds, although there might have been the odd one that germinated within a few weeks. I know that deciduous magnolias have some sort of germination inhibitor but it still surprises me that this evergreen species seems to have it too. As an experiment (if I get around to it) I should try to sown a few seeds that haven't gone red-ripe, so see if that makes a difference.

Cestrum, you could perhaps try chilling some for a few weeks also?! If they're only coming though now, perhaps it's the cool they need to germinate.

Pam

This message was edited Jul 14, 2011 5:47 AM

Quote from gardengal :

Cestrum, you could perhaps try chilling some for a few weeks also?! If they're only coming though now, perhaps it's the cool they need to germinate.

You know, this never occurred to me! (Because I don't think of them as cold-climate plants.) I just assumed they were germinating at this time because the seeds ripened and were collected and sown in summer. It does make sense. I don't have any more seeds but I might try an experiment using (1) chilled seeds; and (2) not quite ripe seeds, if my plants continue to set seeds. I believe Chrissy has a batch of my seeds so will be interesting to see what she does and how they germinate for her.

This message was edited Jul 14, 2011 8:51 AM

se qld, Australia

Cool! You have to love a good gardening experiment. :)

What am I *Cestrum* ..........hint.....hint......you have this one as well.......

Thumbnail by MyaC

and this one Cestrum same.....you have this as well........if yours has flowered in the past, can you please post a picture, this has only taken 5 years to get to this stage about 6ft tall.

Thumbnail by MyaC

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.