Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: FLOWERING IN JULY

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 114, Views: 755
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 2, 2011
9:17 PM

Post #8668974

I thought I might open the thread for the new month with my ever flowering purple alogyne ( native hibiscus)
It has flowers all year round. If you ever wanted a lovely evergreen tall shrub (small tree) try this.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Click the image for an enlarged view.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 2, 2011
9:19 PM

Post #8668976

My dwarf sasanqua camellia. Only grows to 18"

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 2, 2011
9:19 PM

Post #8668977

Burgundy hellebore

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 2, 2011
9:20 PM

Post #8668978

Salvia 'Honey Melon'

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 2, 2011
9:20 PM

Post #8668979

zygo 'Cheyenne'

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 2, 2011
11:01 PM

Post #8669039

A lovely way to start the month Jean..
I have Cheyenne, it's very pretty isn't it...I hope that your/my Epis flower this year...I can't wait to see the colours...
I grew a seedling camellia a few years ago that has only grown to about 30 cms so far, I don't know what it is going to do, because it's 30 cms is it's width, it's only about 10 cms high...It's a cross between
Little Jen and Cinnamon Cindy, it's the only Camellia that I have ever purposely hybridized...
It flowers quite happily, similar colour to yours...How long have you had your's? Does it have a name?

This Daphne has a lovely big bunch of flowers. it would be great if they were all like this...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

gardengal
se qld
Australia

July 3, 2011
1:34 PM

Post #8670012

Some real beauties there to start the month Jean. One thing I've never grown is Daphne, Dianne, because I've never lived in a climate cool enough to keep them happy. It's very pretty.

Pam
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 3, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8670126

Dianne, I have had the little camellia for about 6 years now and it flowers well each year. I may get around to repotting it one day.
It did have a name when I bought it but the tag has gone now.
I love daphne and have a small one growing which is yet to flower. My mum had a huge one in a half washing machine tub which moved around with us for as long as I can remember .
I am going to get a white one one of these days. I have some cuttings of the pink in the greenhouse. They tend to strike easily but die after a while. Maybe I will have better luck here where its not so hot as where I used to be.
Jean.
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

July 4, 2011
1:01 PM

Post #8671900

Have any of you checked out this garden,it takes a while to go through,so make yourself a coffee/tea and enjoy

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v160/Ianrobert/?albumview=slideshow
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 4, 2011
2:48 PM

Post #8672106

Really lovely Mya, thanks for putting the link up. Definitely a warm area garden. I could see the plants needing coats down here.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 4, 2011
7:23 PM

Post #8672664

Beautiful Mya, I saw Buck's Fizz, I think, looking great...amazing what you can do in such a short time...
Thanks for putting it on...Now if only my Bat plant grows as well as that one.
gardengal
se qld
Australia

July 4, 2011
10:50 PM

Post #8672913

I've been there, Mya. They're a lovely couple, and their garden is fantastic.

Pam

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 5, 2011
12:49 AM

Post #8672996

Lovely Mya thanks so much ...a bit of the tropics won't go astray ...my place has been blacked out three times today as the trees are falling down ...big cold wind here.

Lucky you Pam, been there in real life ... wow.

Dianne isn't daphne fragrance mouth watering ?, that fragrance is right up there!

Love your pretties Jean ...too windy here everything is being blown sideways and torn up.

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

July 5, 2011
1:12 AM

Post #8673005

Nice Daphne, I saw an enormous variegated one in a tiny front garden in inner city Melb the other day.

Extremely windy today, and an earthquake too... magnitude 4.4 is pretty big for Aust.
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

July 5, 2011
3:19 AM

Post #8673053

gardengal wrote:I've been there, Mya. They're a lovely couple, and their garden is fantastic.

Pam

Lucky you Pam,it must have been heaven.

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 6, 2011
8:18 PM

Post #8677255

You can often smell a daphne before you see it, that perfume wafts so well. (Like boronia, although that's a completely different type of perfume.)

Here's a closeup of a bloom in one of my hanging baskets. Bought a punnet on an impulse but the seedlings have barely grown. Just the odd flower now and again. Perhaps they will bloom properly in spring ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 6, 2011
8:48 PM

Post #8677311

A seedpod on my dwarf abutilon.
Hope it matures.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

July 7, 2011
9:38 PM

Post #8679536

Very quiet here in the garden. Thankfully the frosts have been mild and the wind storms the other day werenot too bad.

Here are some Gazanias to brighten up the day - they seem to always be in bloom. A sharp spade is their only need! :)

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

July 7, 2011
9:38 PM

Post #8679537

... another.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

July 7, 2011
9:39 PM

Post #8679538

Echium getting ready for spring.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

July 7, 2011
9:41 PM

Post #8679540

Strelitzia.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

July 7, 2011
9:43 PM

Post #8679544

Some pansies.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 7, 2011
10:22 PM

Post #8679569

Gazanias are so lovely in the sun. wayne, is that a white echium ?
It looks like the white I bought a while back, which has the more silvery leaves.
I have heaps of the common blue 'Pride of Madeira' as it self seeds relentlessly every where.
A noid zygo. .
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

July 7, 2011
11:07 PM

Post #8679585

Yes, bright and sunny Jean, just what we need! The zygos are lovely, your collection must be looking good at present. Many of the residents at work have them on their window sills. We grow any bits that break off.

The Echium is a small blue. We took cuttings a couple of years back and have grown them on in the garden. Not sure if it is a named cv., lost its tag years back I guess. Here it is growing at work.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 8, 2011
2:23 AM

Post #8679688

Loving the hot pansy colours, my giant strelitzia is covered in huge dark blue buds, looking about two foot long.The Gazanias just don't come back after cold wet Winters here, I don't know why, except it just gets too wet and cold (they were great in the drought). Some of the colours are amazing aren't they.
I don't have a photo so I thought you might like to see this ...I didn't know there was such a thing did you?

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cacti/msg0623590030541.html
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

July 8, 2011
1:10 PM

Post #8680577

Don't know that one Chrissy. Helen gave me one and another from Judy - both died! :( Black thumbs me there with these plants!

Can feel a frost outside - too dark to see as yet. We plan to dig out the old lavenders and rosemary today to make way for a dwarf grafted Meyer lemon.

Here are some daffs coming up under 'Clementine'.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 9, 2011
10:57 PM

Post #8683127

Mine too I think it's just too cold here poor things, I posted that because I had never heard of doubles before.
Not even one frangipani bloom this year, the buds came on too late and were frosted off!
I wanted to show cestrum this dear little bud on her tangerine prickly hibiscus cutting* they both look very healthy* , I don't know if it will bloom in these temps but what a dear little thing to put out that bud in Winter.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 9, 2011
11:10 PM

Post #8683131

That is unexpected, Chrissy. The parent plant is doing well up against a west-facing wall, but has no buds. I did sow some seeds but have (recently) only seen one small seedling; will be interesting to see what colour it turns out to be. That so-called tangerine is my favourite; there's a picture I posted of the tangerine and the pink at http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8156490 although I don't think it does the tangerine justice: the colour in real life is luscious, like watermelon.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 9, 2011
11:19 PM

Post #8683138

my garden is sprouting in places, narcissus is flowering & daffs are starting to come up.
Still I guess spring is only two months away.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 9, 2011
11:21 PM

Post #8683139

my iris brings a bright splash of blue during the winter months

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 9, 2011
11:45 PM

Post #8683146

an early spring flower...
the clump has really spread in the last couple of years & should look pretty with all the flowers out.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 12, 2011
7:04 PM

Post #8689210

Not a flower but ... a Michelia figo cultivar seedling picked fresh from my plant and sown in February, finally germinating more than 4 months later. This happened with my previous batch of M. figo seeds, although there might have been the odd one that germinated within a few weeks. I know that deciduous magnolias have some sort of germination inhibitor but it still surprises me that this evergreen species seems to have it too. As an experiment (if I get around to it) I should try to sown a few seeds that haven't gone red-ripe, so see if that makes a difference.

Meanwhile, I have two metre-high seedlings from the previous sowing that are yet to flower. They have the broader leaves of the cultivar (almost certainly Lady of the Night), not the narrow leaves of the species, and I'm curious to see if there's any difference in the flowers.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 12, 2011
9:11 PM

Post #8689447

This is an older zygo named Cadys Lee. Has quite a large flower compared with some.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 12, 2011
9:12 PM

Post #8689448

Thor Nille.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 12, 2011
9:14 PM

Post #8689451

Christmas Cheer.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

gardengal
se qld
Australia

July 13, 2011
12:46 PM

Post #8690347

cestrum_SEQ wrote:Not a flower but ... a Michelia figo cultivar seedling picked fresh from my plant and sown in February, finally germinating more than 4 months later. This happened with my previous batch of M. figo seeds, although there might have been the odd one that germinated within a few weeks. I know that deciduous magnolias have some sort of germination inhibitor but it still surprises me that this evergreen species seems to have it too. As an experiment (if I get around to it) I should try to sown a few seeds that haven't gone red-ripe, so see if that makes a difference.

Cestrum, you could perhaps try chilling some for a few weeks also?! If they're only coming though now, perhaps it's the cool they need to germinate.

Pam

This message was edited Jul 14, 2011 5:47 AM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 13, 2011
3:50 PM

Post #8690652

gardengal wrote:
Cestrum, you could perhaps try chilling some for a few weeks also?! If they're only coming though now, perhaps it's the cool they need to germinate.

You know, this never occurred to me! (Because I don't think of them as cold-climate plants.) I just assumed they were germinating at this time because the seeds ripened and were collected and sown in summer. It does make sense. I don't have any more seeds but I might try an experiment using (1) chilled seeds; and (2) not quite ripe seeds, if my plants continue to set seeds. I believe Chrissy has a batch of my seeds so will be interesting to see what she does and how they germinate for her.

This message was edited Jul 14, 2011 8:51 AM
gardengal
se qld
Australia

July 14, 2011
12:47 PM

Post #8692219

Cool! You have to love a good gardening experiment. :)
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

July 14, 2011
3:32 PM

Post #8692522

What am I *Cestrum* ...hint...hint...you have this one as well...

Thumbnail by MyaC

MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

July 14, 2011
3:37 PM

Post #8692528

and this one Cestrum same...you have this as well...if yours has flowered in the past, can you please post a picture, this has only taken 5 years to get to this stage about 6ft tall.

Thumbnail by MyaC

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 14, 2011
5:06 PM

Post #8692672

The colour on that first one is just glorious! My first thought was one of the so-called shrimp plants? But no, wrong shape. It must be the Panama Queen! Do tell! Mine hasn't hasn't flowered yet and, in this climate, probably won't for a while.

Is this the second one? Mine is probably not even 5ft tall and has never flowered.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 14, 2011
5:09 PM

Post #8692675

You've got these two. Amazingly, both have survived our run of subzero nights under the old clothesline--the main canopy is provided by Aztec Gold: who would have thought it would be so effective?

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 14, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8692677

The yellow shrimp plant has been flowering nonstop for months, seemingly untouched by the frost. Cheeky thing looks like it's sticking its tongue out LOL

This message was edited Jul 15, 2011 10:12 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 14, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8692679

Now one for you: recognise this flower? It has yet to colour up (has yours begun to flower?).

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

July 14, 2011
6:07 PM

Post #8692777

cestrum_SEQ wrote:Now one for you: recognise this flower? It has yet to colour up (has yours begun to flower?).

Not flowered yet but it's growing beautifully,maybe needs more fertilizer?????

My BM below

Thumbnail by MyaC

MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

July 14, 2011
6:09 PM

Post #8692778

My variegated shrimp is growing well also however no little flower buds in sight as yet...

Thumbnail by MyaC

MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

July 14, 2011
6:13 PM

Post #8692787

You're right it is Panama Queen aka Aphelandra Sinclariana, she's a real beauty

Thumbnail by MyaC

MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

July 14, 2011
6:15 PM

Post #8692789

My native gardenia,standing proud displaying all her babies...without any netting around her now.

Thumbnail by MyaC

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 14, 2011
6:30 PM

Post #8692814

Don't know if your Buddleja madagascariensis needs fertiliser; I might have given mine some back in the growing season but nothing since then. I think yours will flower when they're ready.

Your cuttings look healthy, but I have news for you: they haven't begun to grow yet. Stand back when they do! Even here the original plant (once I got it to strike) too off and tried to take over the clothesline, which is why it was cut back to a stump and extra cuttings stuck in pots here and there. This is what it looks like fully grown:

This message was edited Jul 15, 2011 11:43 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 14, 2011
6:42 PM

Post #8692834

Your variegated shrimp plants look healthier than mine--mine could be flowering because it's stressed by the cold nights! But the variegation makes it a weaker plant (than the green-leafed ones) in all conditions.

I put two of my Panama Queen seedlings outside in early autumn and they were attacked by leaf-eating critters within days: they simply can't exist outside here. So back into the sunroom they went, where they seem to have gone into hibernation.

Here's a closeup of an immature (i.e. yet to colour pink--well, that's what it should do) flower on the Dianthera nodosa aka Justicia nodosa. This one is in the shelter of the greenhouse.

You'll have to sniff that Native Gardenia (Randia fitzalanii aka Yellow Mangosteen) to see if the flowers do indeed smell like gardenias. Then cover the resulting fruit and when it matures tell us what it tastes like!

This message was edited Jul 15, 2011 11:45 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 14, 2011
7:54 PM

Post #8693031

What wonderful pictures!!!!!
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

July 15, 2011
3:12 AM

Post #8693397

Cestrum what a fantastic plant Buddleja madagascariensis is,if only mine would get out of control like that...

Here's my successful cutting of the orange shrimp plant you sent me,slow to take off but finally away and getting new leaves.

Thumbnail by MyaC

MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

July 15, 2011
3:14 AM

Post #8693401

My other shrimps happily growing and growing...

Thumbnail by MyaC

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 15, 2011
3:41 AM

Post #8693410

Thought that this was worth a pic. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 15, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8694566

All my shrimp plant cuttings have been slow to root (and none look as vigorous as yours) but I'm sure they'll take off in spring. I can't wait to then plant them out and let the bees cross-pollinate, to see what interesting colour combinations might come from the seeds. I suspect the flowers from the seedlings will be in different shades rather than completely different colours.

That buddleja ... you know it smells of cat pee, right? Faint, and you have to sniff the flower to smell it, but definitely cat pee. Online sources and my British buddleja book say it's sweetly scented, but for some reason this one isn't. But it's the only buddleja from Madagascar and beautifully suited to humid climates (although the frost here hasn't hurt it).

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 15, 2011
4:40 PM

Post #8694585

Sorry, this is the photo I meant to upload. B. madagascariensis flowers. (From the parent plant of our cuttings--i.e. not in my garden.)

This message was edited Jul 16, 2011 9:42 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 15, 2011

Post #8694834

My ever faithful Cootamundra wattles. Make a fantastic show in the sun.
I love them for filling large empty gaps along the fence. Great windbreaks.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 15, 2011
7:57 PM

Post #8695069

For Jean and all who love our wattle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN_AqUK_3LM
:)
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 16, 2011
8:11 PM

Post #8696734

Not much wattle blossom here this winter, probably because since a stand of them on public land was cut down there seems to be only one tree left in my immediate vicinity. And that has only now begun flowering, lovely whiff of wattle blossom when there's a breeze.

Here (once again) are my orange shrimp plant cuttings, taken back in April and kept in the sunroom, where they will stay until spring.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 16, 2011
8:13 PM

Post #8696738

Unlike the brug seedlings, the shrimp cuttings don't show any roots growing thru the drainage holes. Still, I decided I might pot up two of the larger ones. Look what I found when I took them out of those tiny cells! Obviously they will take off in spring.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 16, 2011
8:17 PM

Post #8696749

In case you missed it! The rootball is very dry. I've been watering the cuttings sparingly for fear of overwatering but I've overdone it--almost lost several cuttings recently as they began to shrivel from dehydration. (Some of the black leaves seen in the tray of cuttings are due to dehydration.)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 16, 2011
8:21 PM

Post #8696755

Mya, here's one of my Panama Queen seedlings, still quite small with no hint of flowers on it. This one is kept in a mini-greenhouse outside and you can see that the snails/slugs have still managed to chew away at it. (You can see the snail/slug pellets have turned white with mould.)

This message was edited Jul 17, 2011 1:22 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 16, 2011
8:24 PM

Post #8696763

Here's a seedling from one of my Michelia figo cultivars, almost certainly Lady of the Night. It's in the green bucket.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 17, 2011

Post #8698525

Not all the shrimp plant cuttings were successful, although this isn't obvious until the cutting is tipped out of its cell.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 17, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8698533

I bought this pot of watercress from Aldi. Look at the aerial roots on it! I'll have to start planting them out individually, I think.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 18, 2011
7:48 PM

Post #8700788

These are my Hibiscus El Capitolio sport cuttings: one has rooted beautifully, the others not at all. Closer inspection revealed some nubs at the base of the three unrooted ones, so there's hope yet. At least one of these unrooted cuttings has had a flower on it too. They seem to have been a long time striking, so I checked my records: all the cuttings were struck 15 MONTHS ago! (Yes, one and a quarter years.) So I'm now soaking the rooted one in some Seasol before replanting, while the unrooted ones are soaking in Superthrive before they too get replanted. Fingers crossed they strike: this is the prettiest hibiscus I've seen. But 15 months is a record for me: all my other cuttings have either struck or died by this time.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 18, 2011
8:24 PM

Post #8700857

PS There's a germination book that is now in the public domain Seed Germination: Theory and Practice and can be downloaded free as a pdf. Read about it here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1137901/

The first (original) book is available for download here: http://ddr.nal.usda.gov/dspace/bitstream/10113/41278/1/CAT10633450.pdf
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

July 18, 2011
9:40 PM

Post #8700975

cestrum_SEQ wrote:PS There's a germination book that is now in the public domain Seed Germination: Theory and Practice and can be downloaded free as a pdf. Read about it here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1137901/

The first (original) book is available for download here: http://ddr.nal.usda.gov/dspace/bitstream/10113/41278/1/CAT10633450.pdf[/quote]

great thread on the deno method and I'll go over to download the pdf now...thanks Cestrum

This message was edited Jul 19, 2011 12:40 AM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 18, 2011
10:47 PM

Post #8701016

Thanks cestrum ...very interesting.
I recall putting a fresh date seed into a baggie with damp peat moss on a warm cement verandah ledge and it popped within days (previously date seeds took about 2 years) It's a great way to germinate palms.
lots of info in that book, funny how it didn't mention Brugmansia or am I blind?
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 18, 2011
10:55 PM

Post #8701025

Brugmansias are mentioned in the second supplement (see below) although I've yet to print out and read the symbols, which are listed in the original book.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 18, 2011
11:28 PM

Post #8701040

Ok going back for a look ...thanks :)
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 20, 2011
5:29 PM

Post #8704598

I've applied its instructions to some abutilon seeds (soak at 140 deg. F for 10 min. before sowing) and will see how well they germinate.

Meanwhile, look what I couldn't walk past at Bunnings; not scented, but the colour and shape of the flower were just irresistible :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 20, 2011
5:31 PM

Post #8704603

Beautiful flower, but completely different colour from the label--better, I reckon!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

July 20, 2011
8:26 PM

Post #8705026

Wow, that's quite flamboyant.

Chrissy, I just pulled one of those Congo Cockatoo (Impatiens niamniamensis) cuttings you sent me out just to inspect and see how it was going, was surprised it's already rooted, and the other one I presume has also as it offered resistance, wow that was pretty fast. :) I love this plant, the flowers are so unusual.

The arboreas are hanging in there, but no sign of roots yet. I guess this brug is exceptionally difficult to root.

Also do Abutilons (hybrids) root successfully in winter?
or perhaps I should wait til Spring?

This message was edited Jul 20, 2011 7:30 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 20, 2011
8:58 PM

Post #8705075

I'm no expert, Lucas, but one of my books says to take hardwood cuttings of abutilon in autumn, and softwood/greenwood/semi-ripe cuttings at any time. And it's a UK publication, so it doesn't assume tropical conditions in winter.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 20, 2011
10:03 PM

Post #8705213

Mya, you asked about the seeds of the orange shrimp plant. Back in April, when I collected the cuttings, I placed into a paper bag a few of the flowers with those dark bracts that looked like they might contain seeds. And then forgot about them, until today. Look--the bracts have released the seeds!

Now I'll just have to sow them! Unless you want some of them?

There's a picture of the seeds and bracts at http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/127331/

This message was edited Jul 21, 2011 3:54 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 20, 2011
10:44 PM

Post #8705251

The spines on my Chorisia speciosa (Floss Silk Tree ...or Silk Floss Tree) are beginning to look ferocious--the pets had better be careful when they brush past.
This is a seedling that is yet to flower.

This message was edited Jul 21, 2011 3:53 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 21, 2011
1:06 AM

Post #8705367

That's a beautiful Hibiscus cestrum..such a lovely colour.

Lucas...a couple of years ago in Summer, I pruned my Cockatoo Impatiens and threw the cuttings under the staircase...a few weeks later they had all taken root just lying on the soil...they are so easy..

This is a lovely Salvia that I bought a couple of weeks ago.
S.wagneriana...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 21, 2011
3:01 PM

Post #8706839

First flower on my black hellebore. I love the white in the middle. This is one from Post Office Farm, great for lovely hellebores.

Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 21, 2011
3:04 PM

Post #8706840

Not flowers, but they will be later.
Some of the species geraniums and ger. maderense that I let go to seed every year. They fill the garden beautifully with their ferny foliage for most of the year.
Sadly these maderense are now 2 years old so should put up their huge ball of flowers this year. Then they will all die but leave a million babies to grow again.
this is looking to the east of the path.
Cestrum, some of the the tall green behind the leaves on the top of the japonica is my yellow buddlea. Doesnt all of its leaves, probably gets shelter from the weeping willow next to it.
Jean

This message was edited Jul 22, 2011 9:08 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 21, 2011
3:05 PM

Post #8706841

Looking to the west along the path.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 21, 2011
3:13 PM

Post #8706851

This correa is hanging over a 6' fence.
It is never without a million flowers . I grew it from a cutting years ago . It is growing in the corner behind the fence among lots of plants including some abutilons, the jasmine , and a very large white plumbago. I have never seen a correa get this big before. It spreads between all the other plants with branches as long as 8'-9'

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 21, 2011
3:15 PM

Post #8706855

Part of the hellebore patch. It looks nice and open now I have removed all the old stems. There are so many babies coming up under them. I will be potting up a lot for sale later. Have to make room for this years babies.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 22, 2011
5:22 PM

Post #8709435

Funny about that yellow buddleja, Jean--is that B. globosa? A very pretty plant! I had a small one but it died during its first summer as it really does not like the steamy heat. I also lost one of my B. x. weyeriana, considered a tough plant here, but it died probably due to the combo of rain/humidity, so I'm going with hibiscus and abutilon instead as they're better suited to this climate. (Despite the frosty nights.)

The Spring Promise buddleja however has proved surprisingly resilient and is just now coming into flower, although my mother tells me it was in full bloom in Melbourne last month. (And in Sydney too, according to Wayne.)

Found some more info on striking abutilon (and hibiscus and bougainvillea) here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/175446/

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 22, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8709466

cestrum, my yellow buddlea is B. glogosa. I took a branch from one down in the town. It belonged to an older lady . It was more of a tree than a shrub. Dont know how old it was.
I just stuck pieces in a pot , then into the ground. This was the survivor. It just grows. I'm not that fond of it as it isnt as pretty as the others with their long waving flower stems. I mainly ignore it ,but it fills a space where nothing else much will grow.
It seems to get on okay with the weeping willow as company.
I am awful, as I tend to ignore a lot of that side of the garden which includes some of the abutilons too.
They seem to do alright with my interference, luckily.
My abutilon cuttings are taken when ever I happen to be tidying up. I stick them in tubes in the greenhouse and if they grow , they go out in the yard. I do find that abutilon cuttings ( here anyway ) tend do do well and get leaves then just as you think , ahhhh, they are growing , they die off.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 22, 2011

Post #8709548

I think that approach is known as natural selection, Jean LOL
I've put a stocking over the seedpod on my dwarf abutilon, to catch the ripe seeds when the pod bursts open.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 22, 2011
7:57 PM

Post #8709797

cestrum that part that says
"I start Bougainvillea in water, semi-green cuttings, waxed paper over top, rubberband, can put plastic over or not."
thanks for that link ...sounds great !

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 22, 2011
8:07 PM

Post #8709828

cestrum, what colour is your dwarf Abutilon?
I bought a red and an apricot/peach last month...I'm keeping mine in pots.
These ones don't have the lantern shape but they are very pretty.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 22, 2011
11:28 PM

Post #8710051

It's red, part of the 'Bella' series of dwarf abutilon (see http://www.faceysnursery.com.au/catalogue/shrubs/abutilon-bella-series ). Will be interesting to see if it comes true from seed. That must be the apricot one in your photo, Dianne: very pretty. Did you get it from a local nursery or online? Doesn't matter to me if it has a lantern shape or not: both are attractive. If those stockinged seeds mature, I should have some spare to share.

All mine so far are growing under the old clothesline, this one in a hanging basket and the others planted in a clump in the hope of training them up a pole. We'll see how that works out!

This message was edited Jul 23, 2011 4:37 PM

This message was edited Jul 23, 2011 4:38 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 23, 2011
12:09 AM

Post #8710094

cestrum, I bought mine at a local nursery, they only had the Red and Apricot, they were under the "Bella" label too...
Here is my red one...they are cute aren't they...
It says on my label that the cold intensifies the colour...the Apricot has a pretty edge that has gotten darker.
I would like to find the yellow too...

This message was edited Jul 23, 2011 6:14 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 23, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8711110

My dwarf abutilon came from a local nursery too. (I haven't seen them at Bunnings yet but they will probably turn up there too. Perhaps they already have--I don't go there often since getting the bulk soil delivered.) My nursery had red and a couple of other colours, but I can't remember which ones. No doubt all the nurseries that stock them will get new deliveries in spring/summer, so you're likely to find a yellow then. Or just ask your nursery to get one specifically for you.

I wonder if my seeds will be *all* red ...
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 24, 2011
3:28 PM

Post #8712896

confused Agapanthus was flowering late in the season, looks pretty with a dusting of snow...

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 24, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8712898

camellia

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 24, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8712906

witch hazel

Thumbnail by dalfyre

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 24, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8713201

That witch hazel looks superb! But that poor agapanthus--looking at it gives me a chill.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 24, 2011
8:32 PM

Post #8713344

Interesting pics, Teresa...I would imagine that the snow would destroy the flowers eg; Camellias..
Does it?

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 24, 2011
9:03 PM

Post #8713385

Well I know why my Witch Hazel died in the hot Summer three years ago ...it's very beautiful Teresa.
You really do have a real Winter.
Lovely pictures every one.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 25, 2011
4:03 PM

Post #8714777

the camellia & witch hazel flowers are fine but not sure about the agapanthus - it isn't normally flowering at this time of year.
The plant itself will be ok - we have had snow like this before & they came through without a problem.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 25, 2011
4:04 PM

Post #8714782

camellia the day after the snow storm

Thumbnail by dalfyre

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 25, 2011
8:43 PM

Post #8715502

That's amazing, I thought that the cold would destroy the cells...I'm glad for your sake it doesn't...
The snow looks very pretty...

This little Median Iris is called "In the mood''...I have had it for 3 yrs and it has quadrupled it's size but this is the first time it flowered...the pale blue makes a change..

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 29, 2011
10:44 PM

Post #8724628

Here's another bloom on my hibiscus, just opened. Apparently, hibiscus--like brugmansias--can change colour according to the season. So the yellow flower shown on the label may be indicative of the summer blooms. Will be interesting to see if it does turn yellow in summer, although I think the current colour is just lovely. And, astonishingly for such a lovely flower, the plant cost only $7.50 at Bunnings!

PS You can see the label here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8704603

This message was edited Jul 30, 2011 3:51 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 30, 2011
12:57 AM

Post #8724693

cestrum, I had D.J O'Brien for years, always my first choice in a Hibiscus...the colour was always apricot/peach...never saw a yellow flower...
An occasional deeper colour once in a while like yours..
Maybe the warmer climate could be the difference.
It will be interesting to see how it develops.

This message was edited Jul 30, 2011 7:11 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 30, 2011
6:33 PM

Post #8726226

The label does say that the picture is intended as a guide only, so I'm wondering if the photo on the label is a generic one used for all the double hibiscus? On the one hand, I'm fascinated by the idea of such a drastic change of colour. On the other, I just *love* the current colour combo! Either way, I'm happy.

What I would like to try, when my El Capitolio sport flowers again, is to try crossing the two. It's hard to think of improving the colour and shape of this hibiscus, but the thought of seeing what that cross could produce is too tempting to resist :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 30, 2011
7:35 PM

Post #8726365

It could produce something amazing...go for it...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 30, 2011
8:00 PM

Post #8726408

I'll give it a shot at least!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 30, 2011
10:03 PM

Post #8726636

Cestrum, I was just checking all the cuttings I put in the mini g/house and I have some of the variegated abutilon shooting. Cross fingers they dont go toes up.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 30, 2011
10:24 PM

Post #8726671

Good luck with those cuttings, Jean. I'm hoping that all my small abutilons (planted out in one spot) will start growing and hopefully flowering in spring/summer. Then I'll see the colour of the flower on my variegated one.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 30, 2011
11:30 PM

Post #8726734

Here are all my small abutilons, with the variegated one intertwined with the others.

This message was edited Jul 31, 2011 4:30 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 30, 2011
11:31 PM

Post #8726735

The pink and white salvia from a friend's garden is flowering and begun to spread. I hope eventually it will be growing as a groundcover throughout my garden, as it does in hers.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 31, 2011
2:52 PM

Post #8728016

Lovely looking abutilons, Cestrum. Mine are only small at the moment but I am hoping they keep going.
I find that here, even in warm weather, abutilon cuttings tend to grow leaves and small roots then some will just die off.
Love the salvia.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 31, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8728315

Abutilons are related to hibiscus ... remember those hibiscus cuttings of mine that hadn't struck after 15 months, yet some had flowered? Perhaps some abutilon cuttings might be like that, although generally they (like hibiscus) are considered easy to strike.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 31, 2011
8:37 PM

Post #8728716

I will take more abutilon cuttings later as the weather warms and compere the two lots. Abutilons grow well here once established and nearly all mine are cutting grown. I am going to move the variegated one as it is stuck way in the back behind lots of bigger shrubs. I have a feeling it is a small grower as I vaguely remember the parent plant at Hamilton Gardens being very small. Cant check as the abutilons that were in the gardens are all gone.
Lucky I rescued a few pieces.
Same with a lot of correas in the large arboretum near here. I have lots growing from cuttings taken years ago when we visited. Sadly all the original plants are gone form the arboretum now.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 1, 2011
7:49 PM

Post #8731029

Seachanger wrote:cestrum, I bought mine at a local nursery, they only had the Red and Apricot, they were under the "Bella" label too...
Here is my red one...they are cute aren't they...
It says on my label that the cold intensifies the colour...the Apricot has a pretty edge that has gotten darker.
I would like to find the yellow too...

This message was edited Jul 23, 2011 6:14 PM

If you're willing to grow from seed, you can buy them here: http://summerhillseeds.com/abutilon-bella-yellow-p-255.html?zenid=9c5eb8fd01b12dde38fe6b83849b9304
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 1, 2011
8:37 PM

Post #8731129

Cestrum, you should never wave sites that that under our noses.
Dianne, go look, they have lovely seeds.
Jean

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 1, 2011
9:12 PM

Post #8731225

I will Jean,
Here's the way to August.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1204409/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 218 Jan 22, 2014 3:49 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America