$5.00 garage sale find, re-vamped!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Here is a picture of the lawn swing I bought at a garage sale for five bucks. (Dis-assembled).

Thumbnail by bsavage
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

And here it is after I painted it and made new cushions and canopy...

Thumbnail by bsavage
San Antonio, TX

Awesome Job!!!

Tomah, WI

I'm sure your after is better than it looked new! Great job!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Great transformation! Love the colors.

Southern California, CA

Gorgeous! I love this. So inviting! Who could resist sitting here and sipping an iced tea.

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

What a transformation! Really love it and it would great in my yard. My house is blue (they call it mission blue). What a wonderful job you did on it.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Fantastic transformation!

mulege, Mexico

Beautiful work. I love the colors, too.

kb

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Thank you! I love it too. Perhaps my favorite garage sale find ever!

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Smart lady! See a future treasure in a pile! Great job and pretty too.

Neighbor gave me her old swing when she bought a new one. Needs new canopy and cushions, wish I could make it look like yours. Another project to add to my very long list.

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

Love it! You did a great job. And I'm partial to blue in a garden.

Cave Creek, AZ(Zone 9b)

That blue is beautiful. I've got window boxes close to it and I am painting my picnic table same color. It looks extraordinary in the garden. And the material you found is magnificent!!! WOW!!!! You did a terrific job. makes me wish I could sew!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Thank you! We are enjoying it!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

You really made me want to take sewing classes with that transformation☺

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

Me, too. I don't even sew buttons on clothes!

Cave Creek, AZ(Zone 9b)

yes, can you give us online sewing lessons please?

I sew buttons on clothes and put up hems in pants, but that's it. I need a new top for my swing set, but have no idea how to go about doing that so here it sits with a faded out canopy with a few worn holes here and there. Mom always told us that we had to learn because she wouldn't be around forever. Did I listen, oh NO!

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

I'll just audit the sewing class. :) Here's my problem: I wish I knew how to sew, but I hated it so much when I took a sewing class in junior high that's why I don't even do buttons!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Well, the seats were tricky, because they are built around the frame. The first one I did didn't fit. Even with using the original as a template. Pillows are easy. I took the easy route on the canopy... I was going to get very 'stitchy' with it and cut and sew separate front and sides, but then I decided to keep it simple and let it be a 'handkerchief hem', so viola, limited sewing on the canopy!

Cave Creek, AZ(Zone 9b)

well let me say this project had me looking up sewing machines online (my grandmother was a seamstress and a good one...never could get close to what she could do she was so wonderful!) I picked up her green thumb but never liked being indoors and never got the sewing 'genes' darn it (pun intended ;) )

I know the old worn out canopy on my swing looks pretty complicated but I guess it doesn't have to be like the old one. Should check with a friend who put a top on her swing. Found some old long cushions in the trash, had to take them as the foam was a very good grade, going to try and use an old electric knife hubby has to see if I can cut and make it fit. It is a perfect length. One of these days..............

Oracle , AZ(Zone 8b)

WOW!!!! Just beautiful! You did good girl!!

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Super Fresh
Super Sweet
Super Job - I could look at that photo for an hour and not tire of it. Outstanding color choice. What is the color and what is the brand --may I ask?

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

MissingRosie, at some point I took something into Walmart and had them color match it to create that paint color. I have the recipe on my can of paint, I will try to scan and paste it here tomorrow. If I forget, someone please remind me!

I have to say, I have a love/hate relationship with sewing. It can take more patience than I have sometimes, mistakes are easy to make, even when you do it right sometimes you keep thinking "well, I could have done this and that would have been better". I am not a seamstress, and I try to not let my local friends know I sew much, because I am not one for fixing, mending, or altering other's things, because I just am not that perfect at it. But, I do enjoy making things that are kind of custom, I think I've learned that making it easy is not a sin, and I have to say it is very satisfying when I get it right. So thanks, everyone, for all your positive comments.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Thank you, look forward to it

Downers Grove, IL(Zone 5a)

I love it!! I would get as far as the painting of the swing but would be at a loss for cushions.. ! When you tire of it send it my way!

Wells, TX(Zone 8b)

well done.. I redid the cushions and top on my moms swing but atfer a life time of 15 yrs it finally rusted and had to finally be thrown away.. yours is beautiful!

Victoria Harbour, ON

What a fantastic job you've done revamping the swing..should take pictures and go show the individual you bought it from! Love the blue/yellow!

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

Does anyone have ideas as to what to do with just the frame of a swing. We have a frame and old swing, much too much trouble to redo since we aquired a much better swing from a family member. Hate to throw the old swing away. What to do with it?

mulege, Mexico

Could it work as a trellis for plants? kb

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Texasgall77 has been known to drape plastic and use for a protector in the winter. She lives in Houston Texas so it doesn't get that cold.

Hi Sylvia, finally caught up with you to ask about that bowling ball you started at Jules. Using the old swing stand for a trellis sounds great to me.

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks for your ideas. The idea of draping plastic over to protect plants sounds good. I had one of my fav large plants freeze last year, however it did come back.

Pegi
Yes I did finish my bb. I'm very happy with the way it turned out. Don't ask for photos. Don't have a camera I able to work with the PC yet.
Hows DH doing? Praying for youz.

Downers Grove, IL(Zone 5a)

Maybe someone else will use it as a swing or if I was local I would make a trellis out of it for my squash, cucumber etc vege gardens...But alas I am a wierd cookie!

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Many years ago I had a gym frame and I use it for hanging baskets. With different lengths of chain you can hang many and have a beautiful flower garden.

Hanging baskets from the frame sounds like a great idea. Draping plastic over it is a good idea too, I don't have to worry about plants freezing, but the way our weather has been lately you never know when that will happen.

I really wanted to see that bb too!

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7b)

Wow! Wow! Wow! Love what you did and I gave ours away when it went bad.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Sure wish I could hold a sewing class for you gals. 30 years drapery business and I
ve made more cushions and pillow covers than I can remember. I went to school every summer for 25 years to keep up with the latest. Cut your foam with old electric kitchen knife. If cushions are old take steam iron and shsoot steam to plump them up again. We use different equipment but these are just suggestions of what you may have at home that will work. Always zipper your cushions because at some point intime they will need cleaning and its much esier to remove and throw into washer. I carried and sold outdoor fabrics cause in Fl. fading is a huge problem and I wanted products to last.

Main thing to consider when making outdoor cushions is the foam. Now there is an outdoor foam that is all small holes right thru it and it allows cushions to dry much faster if out in the rain. Plus it does not mildew. Not cheap but long lasting.

Sure wish I still had business going as I certainly enjoyed it. Still have all my workroom set up but no clients for past 2 years. I'm only 75 and don't really have desire to completely retire. Soooo I turned to gardening and ponding. Just dug my last pond 10 X 20 last July and enjoy my koi.

Happy T2T to all.
Bonnie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.