Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Water Gardens: Pink Louts 5 Months old

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 26, Views: 135
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 3, 2011
7:42 AM

Post #8669449

i use small tubs to start that way the stems and leaves stand up out of the tubs

Thumbnail by phicks
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 3, 2011
8:23 AM

Post #8669525

I agree...I look for black tubbies just about everywhere I go. There have been black plastic waste paper cans at the Dollar Store in the past, that are about 16 inches high. I also found black plastic oil draining pans at Walmart that were about 18 inches across and 6 inches deep.
Be careful with the rope handle you have on yours. I thought that being plastic, they wouldn't decompose, but mine did and made a HUGE shredded mess in the water. I'm still scooping inch long individual threads of plastic out a year later. I now cut mine off before I use them, to avoid ever having to deal with that again!
Your lotus look well on their way, did you start from seed or a tuber?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

July 3, 2011
8:28 AM

Post #8669533

I came in on this late, but are you saying these lotus don't have to be in the pond. Just plant them in a tub with water? I know there is another thread that goes on quite a bit. Hadn't really done more than glance at it as I figured I couldn't do it up here.
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 3, 2011
8:31 AM

Post #8669536

Merry Seeds ive been growing theam for years on and off . Mestella right you can grow in tubs Paul

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 3, 2011
9:54 AM

Post #8669681

Hi, all.

My cup runneth over earlier this year when a sweet DGer sent me lotus tubers. I planted them at the beginning of February in an 8-gallon plastic bucket containing garden soil and water. I added 24 little feeder fish minnows in there in an effort to curtail the mosquito population. I was rewarded with a lotus bloom on Easter day. Those are borderline gross feeders. They seem to enjoy palm fertilizer more than pond tab fertilizers. As I speak, this bud is getting ready to bloom in the next few days.

I love my lotus. It's something I have wanted to grow for a long time, but it just wasn't feasible when I lived in Canada (zone 5). Like most gardeners up there, I had a bad case of zone envy. Now, I have the zone and for that, I am SO thankful.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
edited because it seems I can't spell today.

This message was edited Jul 3, 2011 11:55 AM

Thumbnail by lourspolaire

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 3, 2011
9:57 AM

Post #8669687

Sylvain...
Interesting about the palm fertilizer in lieu of pond tabs...I think I'll give that a try! My leaves are 3 feet tall right now, but as of yet, no blooms this season. My water lilies, however, are blooming like crazy!
Post another pic once it opens...the pinks are so beautiful!
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 3, 2011
9:58 AM

Post #8669688

i feed mine Jobe food stick wont hurt the fish . the blue or red tubbies are great to . paul
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

July 3, 2011
10:10 AM

Post #8669709

I am trying the Jobe sticks for the first time this summer. My lilies have barely produced pads just yet. But in July they should take off. I hope. Nothing else this summer has come through as in the past, but I will hope. Just lost a koi so am feeling a little bummed.
SongsofJoy
New Hampshire, NH
(Zone 5b)

July 3, 2011
10:52 AM

Post #8669773

I would love to try growing a lotus. I know nothing about them. Can someone direct me to a good lotus for dummies source?
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 3, 2011
11:37 AM

Post #8669844

am not sure songs the seeds i grew are about ten years old some of mine left over. you can get seeds most likely on here check out the market place here or e bay paul

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 4, 2011
8:27 AM

Post #8671485

Hi.

I have ordered a 1/2 pound of lotus seeds from a California producer a couple years ago. I don't know how many times I have tried starting them from seeds, to no avail. The seeds would germinate, but something always happened to the plant. I have never managed to get more than 2 leaves and then the plant would die. I still can't explain it. I must have some lotus seeds somewhere in my stash. Maybe I'll try starting some again. Who know, maybe it will work this time. Hope springs eternal.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 5, 2011
6:43 AM

Post #8673322

try useing distilled water this time paul
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 5, 2011
6:50 AM

Post #8673331

Louris i meant Spring Water Not Distilled Paul
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 5, 2011
8:19 AM

Post #8673497

I've also heard that a drop of peroxide in the water keeps them from croaking...but don't know if it's true?
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 5, 2011
2:52 PM

Post #8674319

peroxide is good its good to root cuttings with to and to germ seeds

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 6, 2011
4:45 AM

Post #8675425

Hi.

A picture of my latest lotus bloom, opening yesterday morning.

Sylvain.

phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 6, 2011
6:49 AM

Post #8675658

nice
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 6, 2011
8:57 AM

Post #8675936

Oh Sylain...that's stunning! How tall does that color get? I have whites and yellows, and one that's white with pink edges. That deeper pink is beautiful!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2011
10:55 AM

Post #8676217

Good job Sylvain, ;-)

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 6, 2011
2:57 PM

Post #8676659

Hi, everyone.

My lotus sit in an 8-gallon blue plastic bin with 2 handles at the side. The container is full of water and stands 18 inches tall. The lotus rhizomes are at the bottom of the bucket, at ground level. The bloom pictured above is 35 inches off the ground, 17 inches above water level. The bloom is 5 1/2 inches in diameter. A colony of little fish keeps the mosquito population at bay.

Here is a photo of the bloom, looking down into it. The plant is visited by butterflies and honey beew. It produces seeds, which I drop into the water in hope that they will germinate. Although there are 3 different cultivals in there, only one produces blooms on an almost-constant basis. I keep hoping the other 2 kinds bloom eventually.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 6, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8677004

I swear those handled tubbies are the best inventions ever! I use them for just about everything. I have my white lotus in tubbies just like that, but that pink one is awesome! It looks like summer in the garden! Good luck with the seeds...I know I've only had luck when I knick one corner off their hard shell. Then they sprout several days later. But if you've kept yours in the same tubbie, you should(?) be able to divide the tubers by now.
:)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2011
6:46 PM

Post #8677058

that is the most gorgeous lily. I doubt I could do what you do as I just don't have the length of season, even if I kept them in pots. Are they outside all the time?

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 7, 2011
4:00 AM

Post #8677633

Yes, Mstella, they are outside in South Florida year-round. They are in full sun from sunrise until about 3PM. They seem to enjoy it.

Sylvain.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

July 7, 2011
8:15 AM

Post #8678001

Um, that explains it. Might be worth a try here anyway, especially if I keep them in the garage all winter and start the lights up March 1st like I do for my 'greenhouse' in the garage. Would they die in the water if they didn't have light very often, or would they just go dormant.
realsis

July 8, 2011
7:44 AM

Post #8680053

hi .my lotus go dormante in the winter. i keep them in their lotus bog and another in a preformed pond. they emerge the next spring. i live in zone 9a.

Thumbnail by realsis

realsis

July 8, 2011
7:48 AM

Post #8680062

i would guess they would just go dormanate, i never kept lotus without light so im not sure.

Thumbnail by realsis

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2011
8:59 AM

Post #8680174

thanks realsis. I could run a timed light to give them some during the winter. DH doesn't want to add to our winter load of pond watching (deicers, pumps, checking water levels and composition) and can't say I blame him.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America