Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Water Gardens: whites

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 15, Views: 76
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 3, 2011
11:40 AM

Post #8669851

some whites am growing

Thumbnail by phicks
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 3, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8670537

I've started some more seeds this week. My large ones are doing fine...the ones that were about the size of yours above, were devoured by a tadpole invasion. I kept trying to scoop them out with a net, but they still did total damage. I've never had tadpole damage before, in fact, I encourage as many tadpoles in my water gardens as possible(usually...)
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 5, 2011
6:40 AM

Post #8673319

do you have running water in your pond? and what kind of frogs are laying there eggs in your pond?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 5, 2011
8:18 AM

Post #8673494

I don't have running water as in a stream, but I DO have pond pumps that have hoses dropping water back in. Last year I had an overpopulation of Cuban Tree Frogs, which are a horrible invasive species. They ate everything in my yard except toads, which have a bitter skin coating. Trying to eliminate them was close to impossible when you have ponds and tropical plants. They'd scream all night long (it's not a happy frog sound)
Due to the cold weather in Florida this year, the freezes eliminted most of them. I ordered some tadpoles to replenish natural species (but no bullfrogs! and no toads!) They are spring peepers, green tree frogs, and leopard frogs. What a change this year! The nightly frog songs are wonderful, and the egg masses are much smaller, due to the smaller variety of frog, so it's not clogging up my filters, etc.
The toads were relocated to a stream by a small woods a half mile from my house. They would invade my ponds like crazy, and although I don't mind a healthy population of them, I'd have 20 PAIRS of them breeding every morning, no matter how many I relocated. I seem to now have a happy balance of those now, too.
The yard lizards have returned, with no Cuban Tree Frogs to devour them...native frogs have returned, now that they too are not eaten...and everything seems to be in check. I still look really hard to make sure there aren't any CTFrogs re-invading my yard.

:)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 5, 2011
8:35 AM

Post #8673523

Where do you get your frogs? I looked at ebay but was very confused. Some offer a mix and most offer a gazillion tadpoles. I only want a few. And I dont want tree frogs as I don't think they would survive with only one lone crabapple. My pond is pretty open, like no bushes or trees.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 5, 2011
9:01 AM

Post #8673573

I'd send you a bag of tadpoles, but I'm not sure that they wouldn't die during transport, being about as far away as one can get in America! (Florida to Alaska!)
:)
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

July 5, 2011
9:27 AM

Post #8673627

I think its too late for tadpoles this season anyway, especially in a cold climate.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 5, 2011
9:55 AM

Post #8673709

thanks for the offer Mary. But I think 'newton' is right. We are still getting 19+ hours of sun, it is 56F at 9am, but should get to above 70F this afternoon as the sky is clear blue. One minute it feels chill, then the next my skin is tingling with the heat from the sun. course being red haired (or at least I was many years ago) and freckled might account for that. lol. Maybe next year. I could put a tub of mud on the bottom of the deep end so the frogs could burrough in for the winter.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

July 5, 2011
10:09 AM

Post #8673738

You might want to find a natural pond nearby next spring and collect some tadpoles that will do well for you .
C
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 5, 2011
11:12 AM

Post #8673873

I had thought of that a year or so ago. Occassionally I find tiny little green frogs in my grass - maybe three times. No clue where they come from as we are not near water. There is a wetlands a mile or so west that I hear has frogs, but have never seen it. Need to put on my boots and go tromping.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2011
12:08 PM

Post #8673995

[quote="mstella"] Need to put on my boots and go tromping. [/quote]

Apparently the frogs had their boots on and came a tromping! ^^_^^
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

July 5, 2011
12:41 PM

Post #8674068

Early next spring take a trip! Bring a net and a bucket with you.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 5, 2011
7:15 PM

Post #8674869

Need I wait til spring??

Carolyn, I can just see all these little frogs with thigh high boots tromping their way to my yard. Um, might make it difficult for them to jump though...:)
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 8, 2011
6:02 AM

Post #8679886

i use to live up there in the 60s
realsis

July 8, 2011
7:37 AM

Post #8680034

i had a mess of tadpoles in my lotus bog and now i have tons of baby frogs everywhere! i dont mind them! they are hungry and eat lots of bugs!

Thumbnail by realsis
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 8, 2011
9:00 AM

Post #8680180

Phicks, where in Alaska did you live. If it was in the 60's, and was in the interior, then you froze your cahones off. Bitterly cold then, gradually warming in the 70's and 80's, though still more than cold enough to get your attention.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America