Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Roses: a possible remedy for gophers

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 11, Views: 147
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 3, 2011
7:25 PM

Post #8670606

years ago when i frequented this forum, the california rosarians were plagued by gophers. as i recall, the only remedy was to plant the rose in a gopher proof metal basket. various companion plants were tried with mixed results.

i was reading the latest Garden Designs issue this evening and came across an interesting bit. the garden is located in Beverly Hills. here is the excerpt i found: Kameon (the landscape designer on the project) also made sure to rodent-proof the space using preventive methods, encasing the roots of plants (gopher's number one target) in gopher baskets and planting trailing rosemary (gopher's number one turnoff).

i thought i would pass this info along to anyone still having problems.
as you can see, we here in florida have our own garden problems...LOL

Thumbnail by trackinsand
Click the image for an enlarged view.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 3, 2011
8:55 PM

Post #8670793

Can alligators dig out gophers? We have both here, but I've never noticed any interaction. Is training involved?

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 4, 2011
5:19 AM

Post #8671062

years of training...lol
porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 4, 2011
6:22 AM

Post #8671164

Are you available for this service?

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 4, 2011
6:38 AM

Post #8671200

just let me catch him first. loading him in the truck is the hard part.
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2011
7:23 AM

Post #8671306

I had grilled alligator at a restaurant in Miami. It tasted better than chicken.

I have been complaining about the bunnies eating my California poppies. It could be worse.

Winston the pug would not be safe in your neighborhood.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 4, 2011
7:59 AM

Post #8671420

even big dogs are not safe. gators can climb a chain link fence in a heartbeat if they want to. my dogs are never allowed to be loose even for a second and i watch them like a hawk when they are in their fenced area.
we have so many lakes around us that the gators use our field as a go between during mating season. the one in the picture is an eight foot male. you can see how close our lake is in this picture.

Thumbnail by trackinsand
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

July 6, 2011
11:51 PM

Post #8677496

I think I saw him on "Swamp People" !
And I thought my family of raccoons were a problem...

Just out of morbib curiosity, HOW CLOSE have you come to one of those gators ?

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2011
4:50 AM

Post #8677665

hey jd, long time no see.
omg, that swamp people thing is awful, isn't it? LOL
that particular gator was following me down the driveway. fortunately, he was going towards the lake and i was going towards the house. he was about 20' behind me...
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

July 7, 2011
7:49 AM

Post #8677955

Yes, Swamp People is awful but I'm glued to the TV every time it comes on. I just can't NOT watch it.
That picture you posted brings to mind that song "Poke salad Annie...gators got your granny..."

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2011
9:04 AM

Post #8678097

oh great...now i'll be singing that song all day...lol

it would be better if i could UNDERSTAND the swamp people's language!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2011
2:25 PM

Post #8690521

LOL! Oh yes, I remember living the FL! Never let the dogs or KIDS out of my sight!

My DH's aunt is from somewhere in S Central FL. She grew up in the Depression and tells of the swiming hole all the kids used. There were gators in it and a shelf where the gators used to sun themselves. She swore they wouldn't go after them because the gators were used to them. That story makes my skin crawl and I'm not sure I believed her. Don't know where the adults were if this really did go on, but I never let her babysit for me!

Sometimes I miss living in FL, but not the gators! They creep me out!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America