Photo by Melody

Poultry and Livestock: crazy lazy predator defense......but its working!!!

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 14, Views: 86
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 3, 2011
8:30 PM

Post #8670748

Just thought you all would get a kick out of my new scare crow!!!
I Was having some pretty close calls with a Huge red tail Hawk!! Only 3 baby guineas so far have dissappeared. So I took out this White Sweatshirt and a pair of old Jeans, hung them on separate clothes hangers then hung the hangers onto each other. the top hanger is one of those Swivel hangers. I put an old broom stick through the arms and tied the ends with fishing line and attached two aluminum pie plates to the lines so they sway and turn and catch the light! Hung it on my old clothes line ole! So far I havent had a hawk or any other bird for that matter get to close at all!

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Click the image for an enlarged view.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 3, 2011
8:35 PM

Post #8670760

I think it's pretty clever!
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 3, 2011
8:35 PM

Post #8670761

The white Sweatshirt is highly visable and the pie pans reflecting the sun has really worked! I move it every other day to opposite ends of the clothes line and some times hang it from a tree. That way the hawk never knows where my "buddy" is going to be!

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 3, 2011
8:38 PM

Post #8670766

Hey there Pork Pal!! Ive got my fingers crossed that this will work for a while! At least until my little guys can run and hide !
Ladypearl
Iowa Park, TX

July 3, 2011
8:40 PM

Post #8670771

I wonder if this technique will keep the birds off black berries and tomatoes? It looks like it would.

This year we are in such a drought that the blackberry plants are barely alive, but if they make it till it rains and then live, I may try this when they produce again. (I don't mind sharing some with the birds but they tend to take bites out of bunch of fruit, messing them up.) Thanks for sharing!
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 3, 2011
8:44 PM

Post #8670776

Hi Lady Pearl!! I think it would definitely help deter songbirds. I know that when i give an afternnoon treat of a handful of birdseed to my chickies, I have three different families of year round cardinals that try to beat the chickens to the seeds. Since I put up the "Scarecrow" I havent seen them flying into the Chicken yard at all!
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

July 3, 2011
9:44 PM

Post #8670843

Very creative, I really like your idea and it looks like it would be very effective also...pie plates, what a great idea...Hay
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 3, 2011
10:24 PM

Post #8670854

Honestly? It looks like me! LOL Looks like my jeans and I'd wear a sweatshirt like that... LOL I'm always cooking.. so yeah.. I love it! LOL I hope it works for a long time!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 3, 2011
11:12 PM

Post #8670891

fabulous idea Eufaula. Love it!!!! My Grandmother always tied lots pie pans to her fig trees to keep the bird away from eating them
Ladypearl
Iowa Park, TX

July 4, 2011
3:09 AM

Post #8670961

Eufaula, here it is the sparrows and grackles that eat up the chicken's grain. Sounds like you at least have pretty birds (cardinals) that get after your chicken food. Want to trade? (lol) I have a clothes line next to my chicken yard too so will try your technique there as well as in the garden. Thanks!
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

July 5, 2011
8:45 PM

Post #8675026

Eufaula you are definitely unique. Who would have ever thought of that except you? That's awesome.

Maybe you should just stuff it with straw and put a hat on it like a real scarecrow.

When I was talking to a police officer about how to keep burglars away she suggested making a dummy and put it in a chair inside, like someone was sitting, turned the other way. If they were to peak in the window they would think someone was there. She said to get him a hat.

That might work for Zz too? Scare the bodiddly out of the egg thieves. Their adrenaline would be pumping.

You know, that's really not a bad idea for burglars. At the time I dismissed it as kind of silly, but she had been to a lot of training seminars and classes. I should have listened better.

They also told me to put a pair of old shoes on the porch, like someone had just pulled off their shoes at the door and were coming back for them soon. When that pair get old and stiff, get another pair. I followed that advice.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 5, 2011
8:55 PM

Post #8675044

Good ideas! Alas, if I put some shoes on the porch my dogs would haul them off. However our pack of dogs makes it unnecessary to even lock the doors!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2011
8:59 PM

Post #8675056

Hi, just happened to be drawn here by the thread title--what a great idea!
I might have to try that to keep the woodland critters from eating all our plants.
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2011
5:16 AM

Post #8675466

Well so far no more hawk and honestly I think its also deterred a couple of skanky possums too! We have been having a lot of summer mini thunder and lightning storms here in the late afternoon with a lot of wind gusts so the old "sweatshirt gremlin" is usually dancing a jig and flashing its pans.
I thought about stuffing it and giving it a gourd head...but I really dont think a hawk or other critter cares about how fat a "human" is , just if it has legs and arms! But I think Im going to paint big old eyes on a gourd and dress it up for "gremlin the 2nd"!
LoL!! Thank Heavens I live in a very rural and wooded area! My neighbors probably wouldnt like my new additions to my yard family! Oh well Im already the talk of the town! Eccentric old pet chicken lady and all!! LOL!!!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2011
9:38 AM

Post #8676021

LOL If you do make another one, do post a picture, please!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America