AuthorContent

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

July 3, 2011
8:32 PM

Post #8670752

Way back when I was 15 or so my grandma taught me to tat. She was trying to teach my cousin when I happened by. I had never heard of tatting and it looked interesting. After watching my cousin struggling not to make knots I asked grandma if I could try. For some reason I didn't have a bit of trouble and caught on right away. Grandma gave me a shuttle and a ball of tatting thread and I was off. My cousin never did learn how to tat. Anyway, here are a couple of things that I've made. I have a lot more snowflakes. I usually hang them from the ceiling kind of like a snow storm... They are starched and I put glitter on them. Kinda messy with sparkles all over... but really pretty.

Thumbnail by morknotmindy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

July 3, 2011
8:36 PM

Post #8670763

Another project. This is made with knit crochetsheen which is size 10, I believe.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2011
5:54 AM

Post #8671121

Beautiful Gloria and it is so nice to see that this art is not lost forever. I really like what you have made...
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

July 4, 2011
6:00 AM

Post #8671134

Gloria those are just awesome. I like that they are all different.Never tried tatting. Not very good with small needles.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2011
6:30 PM

Post #8672571

Thank you, Barb and housse. I hope one day to teach my grand daughter but we'll see. She is only 12 so hopefully when she gets older... housse, I use a shuttle to tat. There is a method for using needles but I haven't ever seen it so I don't have a clue. If I can remember I'll take a pic of one of my shuttles. I learned to tat before I ever picked up a crochet hook, which I think was a big help in my picking it up so fast. I have crocheted Granny Square afgans but nothing else. I need to brush up on the basic chain and single or double crochet. I'm tatting an edge for pillow cases and I have forgotten how to attach it... I've done it before but I've slept since then and can't remember how I did it. lol My mom isn't here to show me. This is a bad pic of a 'purty' that I tatted. It has a tiny birds nest with two baby birds and a mother bird and lots of ribbon.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2011
5:30 AM

Post #8673178

Oh, how clever!!! That is so sweet!!!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2011
1:58 PM

Post #8750697

When I get my regular computer unpacked, I will show some of my mom's tatting work. My favorites were the bonnets and booties she made to go with christening gowns that she also tatted the lace for. I did a lot of heirloom style smocked dresses for my grands when they were small andshe made the lace for them. She also used to do a lot of hankies for gifts and made the ring pillows for granddaughters weddings.

This message was edited Aug 11, 2011 4:17 PM

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2011
2:37 PM

Post #8750772

What wonderful memories she created for her family. And how very very special...

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

August 12, 2011
12:58 PM

Post #8752432

siliole, I can hardly wait to see all the things that you and your mom made!! I have a tatted baby bonnet that my grandma made for me. Mom said my head was to big so I didn't get to wear it... But I still have it! I'll take a pic of it and post it in a day or two.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8752736

I'm hoping to get my main computer set up in the next week or two. Moving is a major pain. Especially moving into a house that we had rented by the week through the summer. I'm having to work around the existing reservations. Only 2 more...Only 2 more.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2011
11:23 AM

Post #8809680

I have zillions of crocheted snowflakes my Mom made. I tried tatting once but never got it figured out.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

September 16, 2011
6:07 PM

Post #8811566

I also have lots of crocheted snow flakes my Mom made for me. Hopefully this Christmas I'll be able to hang ALL of them from the ceiling along with my tatted ones. I still have my tree up and hang new tatted ones on it whenever I get one done. Just seeing them inspires me to make more! And I'm not making just white ones! In my world there are purple and red and blue and who-knows-what-color-next snowflakes. Photos soon...
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

November 25, 2011
4:51 AM

Post #8904763

Very nice. I have crocheted different ornaments and then sewn on sequins. I'll have to give tatting a try one of these days.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Needle Arts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Crochet! celia 23 Nov 21, 2012 4:52 AM
Society Silk Embroidery repair. Jeansgarden 5 Sep 22, 2009 7:28 PM
Hand embroidery MaryinLa 24 May 5, 2009 3:59 PM
Baby rings from 1992 crochet pattern LavinaMae 64 Jul 21, 2014 12:58 PM
Santa Claus mits ViolaAnn 19 May 5, 2011 12:44 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America