Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Dessert Time! What is your favorite fruit to use?

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 140 votes:

Apples. (apple pie, or something else?)
(20 votes, 14%)
Red dot

(30 votes, 21%)
Red dot

Strawberries. (shortcake?)
(28 votes, 20%)
Red dot

Blackberries or raspberries? (recipe?)
(21 votes, 15%)
Red dot

My favorite dessert is made with tropical fruit. (tell us!)
(6 votes, 4%)
Red dot

Other?. (tell us!)
(35 votes, 25%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

I guess everyone else is celebrating. What better way to celebrate than with strawberry shortcake with lots of whipped cream...

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Since I grow my own apples, it's my obvious choice.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Banannas just made a pudding for later....ribs & corn on the cob first!

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

Strawberries in season, then peaches in season. Cobbler... Love rhubarb, too! Hard to pin down my 'favorite' because it depends on what month it is!!

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Mangosteen is the best fruit there is... too bad we cant' grow in the US (save in some coastal areas of Hawaii).

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Watermelon and apple pie.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Beautiful, BC(Zone 9b)

(Chilean Guava) Ugni molinae http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/97641/
Oh Yum! Whenever I can get my hands on the little fruit, they are the absolute best for eating as is or with ice cream or whatever. Makes my mouth water.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

All of the above!

Esp LOVE Effortless trifle
2 containers strawberries, washed, hulled and quartered
2 containers blackberries, washed
2 containers blueberries, washed
2 containers raspberries, washed
1/2 cup turbinado sugar (aka "Sugar In The Raw")
1/4 cup orange liqueur, such as Grand Marnier
1 8-inch store-bought vanilla sponge cake (or angel's food cake)
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup sugar
Yields: 6-8 servings
In a large bowl, combine the berries, turbinado sugar and orange liqueur. Toss gently to coat and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
When you're ready to assemble the trifle (don't assemble it more than 8 hours before you want to eat it), slice the domed top of the cake off and discard (or save it to snack on).
Slice the remaining cake into two equal layers (they should each be about a half-inch thick). If your cake is a little bit too large to fit inside of your trifle dish, cut a small wedge out of each layer and then fold the cut sides together to make it fit.

In a stand mixer with a whip attachment or a large bowl with a hand mixer, combine the heavy cream and sugar, and beat until the cream is smooth and holds a medium peak.
Spread about 1 cup (eyeball it) of whipped cream into the bottom of the trifle dish. Lay one layer of cake on top, cover with half of the berries along with some of the juice from the bottom of the berry bowl . Cover this layer with about 1 1/2 cups of the whipped cream (eyeball it) and make another layer with the remaining cake, berries and berry juice. Garnish the top with the remaining whipped cream . Refrigerate until ready to serve.

This message was edited Jul 5, 2011 12:52 AM

This message was edited Jul 5, 2011 1:36 AM

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

A favorite dessert here is blueberries in an upside down blueberry lemon cake. Yum!

I love all the fruits but the best eating for me would be watermelon to eat on its' own with no whipped topping or ice cream or crust needed.

Meanwhile, I'll have what CountryGardens is having with coffee please. LOL

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Fast and easy creme fraiche:

16 oz heavy whipping cream
1/4 to 1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

combine ingredients and use an immersion blender on highest speed for 1-2 minutes, until creme fraiche holds a stiff peak.

Way better than anything you can buy at the grocery store and much easier than using a mixer.

bon appetit

A tropical take on Tiramisu - Mangomisu:

500g cream cheese
600ml thickened cream
1/3 cup (50g) icing sugar
2 egg yolks
1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
1/2 cup (125ml) Grand Marnier
Juice of 2 oranges
300g sponge finger biscuits
3 mangoes, flesh sliced 1cm thick and 2 passionfruit

Raspberry sauce
1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
250g fresh or frozen raspberries
Juice of 1 lemon

1. Place the mascarpone, thickened cream, icing sugar, egg yolks, a splash of the Grand Marnier, a couple of raspberries and vanilla seeds in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on high speed until thick and well combined.
2. Combine the Grand Marnier and orange juice in a separate bowl. Dip half the sponge fingers into the juice mixture and layer in the base of a serving dish. Spread with one-third of the mascarpone mixture, and top with one-third of the mango slices. Repeat the process, then top with the remaining mascarpone mixture, mango slices and passionfruit pulp. Cover with plastic wrap, and chill for 2 hours or until firm.
3. Meanwhile for the raspberry sauce, place the sugar and 2 tbs water in a small pan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Cool slightly, then add the berries and lemon juice. Whiz in a food processor until smooth, then pass through a sieve. Chill until ready to serve.

Elmhurst, IL(Zone 5a)

podster........any chance you'd be willing to share your recipe for the Blueberry, lemon, etc.?

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

How about chocolate covered tropical fruit, finger food. i make it for our family gatherings , seems like every holiday.
I use pineapple, bananas, kiwi, papaya, orange segments, star fruit, what ever tropical fruit I can get my hands on, and serve with dipping chocolate.
Easy and simply, and I never take any home.........

Prosperity, SC(Zone 7b)

Whatever is fresh picked...I love this time of the year when I can go to the growers at the farmers market...we have had some awesome blueberries and peaches, organic. If you get a good relationship with yor growers, they will answer any questions you ask and even be happy to let you sample product before you buy. If something is wrong with a crop they are also happy for you to critique product...they know if someone gets a bad batch of edibles they probably will find someone else to provide them will their needs, which means $ out of their pocket.
Know your grower, eat organic and local its the new Gold Standard.

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

Rhubarb! It makes a great, somewhat tart pie! LOVE IT!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

It has to be strawberries. I've been told I make an excellent shortcake biscuit (recipe from the old Better Homes & Gardens cookbook...i've had mine for over 40 yrs), lightly buttered while still warm, smothered with strawberries and, of course, homemade whipped cream. When I was a kid my great-grandmother used to make these kind of enormous desserts and we'd have them for Sunday night supper. Believe me, you didn't need anything else lol.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

My recipe is very simple. Cut off a slice (crossways). Lay on plate. Cut around inside of rind and remove. Cut across remaining melon in both directions to produce a plate full of small pieces, each about 1/2in thick. Salt lightly, and enjoy. (While most melons these days are seedless, if you happen to get one with seeds, cutting into thin pieces this way makes it very easy to brush seeds aside.)

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I have to stay away from fat and sugar, so I haven't made a dessert in ages. I eat the fruit as-is. I guess my favorite is cherries.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Apple pie, fresh watermelon, fresh raspberry fudge sauce over ice cream...love it all!

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

I'm like Kelli, avoid sugar and fat. But I like pound cake, either plain or topped with something. Luciee (:^)

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Banana pudding with real Nilla Wafers layered in and topped with whipped cream!

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Quote from seaotter301 :
podster........any chance you'd be willing to share your recipe for the Blueberry, lemon, etc.?

I should be ashamed to admit this but... it is summer and I am lazy and... it is not much of a recipe.

I melt 1/2 cup butter in a 13 x 9 cake pan or prefer a large cast iron skillet. Then sprinkle with a cup of brown sugar. Put about 1 1/2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen) in the butter/sugar mix. Fix your favorite lemon cake mix and pour gently over the fruit. Bake 350 for 45-60 minutes or as directed on cake mix. Let stand for 5 minutes for the topping to set. Turn upside down on a platter or a cookie sheet.

How lazy is that!

edited to correct a stutter.

This message was edited Jul 5, 2011 8:03 PM

West Plains, MO(Zone 6b)

Strawberry rhubarb pie!!!!

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

This is not really a dessert, just a healthy snack: I like to put any fresh fruit, esp. blueberries, into vanilla yogurt.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I love that one, too. I often use plain yogurt instead of vanilla. I stir vanilla or lemon juice into the plain yogurt along with either sugar or artificial sweetener (splenda) and then add the fruit. One of my favorite fruit blends for this treatment is chopped apple (unpeeled), chopped orange, and banana to which I sometimes add one or more of grapes, nuts, and even finely chopped carrots. The latter adds a nut-like crunch and is very healthy and low cal.

But pretty much any fruit will do.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I voted for other, because I will use any fruit I can get my hands on and make something with it for dessert. Even just eat the fruit for dessert. I LOVE FRESH FRUIT!!

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

"fresh raspberry fudge sauce over ice cream"????

Do you just add the raspberries to chocolate sauce found in the grocery store or is there a recipe using cocoa perhaps? Sounds delicious.

This message was edited Jul 6, 2011 8:49 AM

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

It is a bit more detailed than that Ellen. I extract the raspberry juice from fresh raspberries. I then make the chocolate fudge sauce with bittersweet chocolate (and a few other things) in a double boiler. The raspberry juice gets a bit of cooking sherry and is heated to a simmer (gets rid of the alcohol, but not the flavor) The two are then gradually mixed and cooked for another 10 minutes, still keeping everything just under boiling. The sauce thickens and gets glossy, just like fudge. You can then put it in jelly jars and process.

Sounds like a good Roundup door prize doesn't it?

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7b)

Pear pie is my favourite. I generally use D'Anjou pears as they bake the best. Since being introduced to pear pie back in the early 70's, I must say I prefer it to apple pie. You make the pie the same way as an apple pie, just substitute with pears. I prefer mine with a crumble topping.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the info. Melody. I am still drooling over the recipe. I don't think I would be able to find fresh raspberries too easily. We used to raise them but the darn birds would beat us to them. We put netting over them and once again the birds were a problem because hey would get caught in the netting. We finally gave up!!! I don't guess there is such a thing as bought raspberry juice.....

I think that would be a marvelous prize for roundup. I hate to think how many of us chocolate lovers would be drooling over getting a prize like that.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Our friend David has a U-pick farm with raspberries, blueberries and blackberries. Lisa and I went last week and got a bunch of raspberries. I made jelly and had just a little juice left over from the recipe, so made the fudge sauce.

Frozen raspberries make great juice...you can get those at any supermarket.

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Mmm, that does sound yummy, Melody!
Pear pie does, too, Babs, I've never seen that one in the stores!

Belle Center, OH(Zone 5a)

I am a bit of an amature chef. My favourite dessert is of my own invention. I named it after the Skipper on my ship when I was in the Navy. Melons Shanahan.

A ring-slice of cantelope
a scoop of butter brickle, butter pecan, butterscotch ice cream in the center
sprinkle sparsely with a mixture of raw sugar and instant coffee. (50/50)

I use maybe 1/4 teaspoon of the mixture.

I have never made this and not gotten serious applause and demands for seconds.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

You lucky dogs.. Wish I knew someone who raised any of those fruits. We have grown them all over the years and gave them all up for the same reason. Ditto for fruit trees. The BIRDS!!! Boo hoo....

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

The birds got David's blueberries and he didn't have any to sell this year, but so far they've left the blackberries and raspberries pretty much alone.

My apples are ripe, my sister, Molly came and got 9 big WM bags full this morning. I'll probably make applesauce this weekend. I call the apples "organic by default"...I don't spray, so they aren't very pretty, they make fantastic sauce though. I freeze it in 2 cup bags and use it for baking.

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, so many luscious summer fruits, so little time ...

But for me, it's the blueberries (especially those ones I get at the local farmer's market that come in from Sebastapol) ... and one of my favorite desserts is Blueberry Parfait ...

Roughly the recipe goes like this (four decadent servings):

In a saucepan over medium heat, cook 2-1/4 cups fresh blueberries with 1/2 cup maple syrup, about 6-8 minutes, until the berries pop and give off their juices. Set aside to cool, then chill in the fridge.

In a food processor grind up 6-7 oz. of ginger snaps.

Whip 1 cup heavy whipping cream with 1/4 cup maple syrup until peaks form.

When ready to serve, mix into the chilled berries 1-1/4 cups fresh blueberries and lemon juice to taste.

To assemble, in parfait glasses (or any big 8 oz glass) layer: first blueberry mixture, then ginger snap crumbs, then whipped cream, then blueberry mixture, ginger snap crumbs, whipped cream, ending with blueberry mixture. Serve at once.

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Once the birds find him, he might not be so lucky as to have much fruit after that. At least that is what happened to us. Those blueberry fruits are not good picked early. They just don't have the good rich flavor unless they are ripened on the vines. That was another frustrating thing. I picked them early sometimes but it just wasn't the same as if they were left to ripen on their own. Fingers crossed for your friend and for you also.

Do you still dry your apples? I remember your giving me some of those and they were so good in old fashioned fried pies.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I haven't dried any in awhile, but I've got such a good crop this year, I might just do up some for the both of us.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.