Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Canning, Freezing and Drying: Can you can mashed potatoes?

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 7, Views: 101
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2011
12:32 PM

Post #8671865

I'm tired of peeling potatoes for every dinner... Can you can/process mashed potatoes with butter in them so that you only have to open a jar and warm them up...just like you do with applesauce?
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2011
6:29 PM

Post #8672570

I gut thought is no. They are most likely to dense to heat all the way through.
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 7, 2011
6:14 AM

Post #8677797

There are a number of recipes for freezing mashed potatoes if you google it. I have a Southern Living recipe for frozen mashed potato bowls to serve with stew.
Michaelp
Glendale, UT
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2011
3:50 AM

Post #8683213

I canned mashed potatoes, -- some of the jars did not seal well because the mashed potatoes boiled up under the lid, and got in the seal, -- --but--some sealed just fine, -- so-- I would say the risk of impropper seal is high with mashed potatoes, --[and quite a bit got in the cooker water]
I canned the potatoes in chunks with salt and butter, in the jar-- it worked fine, -- I then mashed and nuked them for a meal, -- it was good, --
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 10, 2011
4:16 AM

Post #8683228

That was my thought too. I'd can them in chunks or if they are smaller new potatoes, leave them whole. They will be easy to mash once canned.

Besides, if you can mashed taters, you still will be peeling them all first. What a lot of work.

You need kiddos to do the peeling ~ that was one of our jobs growing up in a 9 kid family. lol
Michaelp
Glendale, UT
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2011
3:31 AM

Post #8685277

I don't peel potatoes any more, -- just wash them, cut out any bad spots, and use them the way they are, [I grow mostly red potatoes, and finger types], --- I like the peels in mashed potatoes, or anything else, --
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 11, 2011
4:25 PM

Post #8686756

From what I have read, mashed potatoes are too dense for safe canning, cubed or small whole potatoes are recommended. I guess I have never seen cooking and mashing potatoes anything that was time consuming, just one step instead of boiling pasta, rice, etc. Most of the foods I learned to cook a good number of years ago required peel, chop, cook and most of the time I find it relaxing after working all day. To me most canning is preserving the garden's bounty when it's not available rather than a time saver.
My idea of "fast-food" is canned meat, which is as tasty as a roast cooked all day, or something I've frozen and vacuum sealed like tamales, or made ahead and frozen ravioli.
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 20, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8704578

Hmmmm... Well, it doesn't sound like it will work as I had hoped, like apple sauce. Bummer. It would have been nice to be able to just open a jar, heat it up, and have fresh mashed potatoes. :- /

Thanks for the input everyone! You're insight is very helpful and time saving. ;) No sense learning the hard way, or making my family very sick, when you can learn from others. :-)
I appreciate it!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America