Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Roses: When to spray for thrips?

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 3, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

July 4, 2011
2:12 PM

Post #8672044

I was delighted to find that spinosad is effective against thrips. But when does one spray it? Do thrips enter the buds? Or just the open flowers? Where do thrips come from? Will spinosad kill them before they destroy the flower?

TIA
LAS
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2011
2:36 PM

Post #8672093

I had thrips ruining the appearance of my peonies, and happily got rid of them. I used acephate, which is a systemic (you bite, you die).

Thrips feed within buds. My peonies opened with brown flocking toward the edges of the flowers. They are particularly attracted to light colored flowers

I don't use spinosad, but from what I have read it is indeed effective against thrips, but should be used no more than twice a year. So you need to apply it while your plants are in bud form. I use my product when the buds start forming, and then about ten days later.

If you want exhaustive information you can find it here:

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7429.html

Hope this helps.
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

July 4, 2011
3:55 PM

Post #8672232

I went to your link and was very surprised to see that, indeed, they are saying Spinosad should be applied only twice a year. The Captain Jack's by Bonide that I use has 6 times a year as a maximum. And even then, I wonder why, if it is a biological agent specific to bugs that eat plants. Maybe I'll go start a separate thread in pests and diseases.

Thanks,
LAS
victorengel
Austin, TX

July 5, 2011
7:20 AM

Post #8673386

I had a bad problem with thrips this year and did some reading. Apparently, their life cycle is only a couple days, so removing all buds in the yard effectively gets rid of them. Don't compost the buds. Throw them away. I tried it, and it worked. Unfortunately, we've had temperatures 5-15 degrees above normal since, so the roses have been struggling from the heat.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America