Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Nevermore44
Hamilton, OH

July 5, 2011
5:38 AM

Post #8673191

This one just hangs on for me... the blooms are nice, but very small and the plant is always ratty looking.

Thumbnail by Nevermore44
Click the image for an enlarged view.

roseycats
Dayton, OH

July 29, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8723871

Nevermore, I have some pink double delights also.you are right, mine don't look as good as they did when they first bloomed. I was wondering if they give seed?
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 8, 2011
7:30 PM

Post #8745587

I'm not making fun of you but what do you mean it looks ratty looking? Is something with the foliage or the flower itself? I have 2 or 3 coneflowers that either I highjacked the seed from the county library flowerbed or got them in the wintersowing swap. They are heavily loaded with blooms, the blooms are pinkish. It is between 33-36 in. tall. I had garden twine wrapped around it because it was so heavy and I have a little metal gate wrapped around the other one. I've been deadheading the fading blooms, not evern keeping the seeds. Only one has turned brown and I'm not even keeping the seeds for next year. I am leaning toward Kim's Knee high as it is shorter and more controlled. I don't know if that's the right word for it or not.

When you say your coneflower looks ratty looking; that's what I feel the two tall ones of mine look like. I'm ready to cut the down to the ground.
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 8, 2011
8:06 PM

Post #8745660

I've been putting bone meal around the coneflowers this year. They bloom so much better! I hope that's what did it anyways. LOL.
roseycats
Dayton, OH

August 9, 2011
4:10 PM

Post #8747242

Nevermore, I have pink double delights, and mine are looking ratty also, I think they are starting to die back already, my other coneflower's aren't going through this stage just yet. My PDD have looked bad since last month.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 10, 2011
4:48 PM

Post #8749379

I just got Pink Poodle and Secret Desire. I'm expecting them to thrive like their sisters have in years to come.
rampbrat
Abilene, TX
(Zone 7b)

October 18, 2011
3:59 PM

Post #8854470

My PDD has always done great though it has stayed rather small. But I lost all of my coneflowers this summer. Something just turned them black. Maybe they'll come back from the roots. I noticed at one of the local stores, their coneflowers had the same stuff on them.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 18, 2011
8:00 PM

Post #8854788

Clint, do you just spread the bone meal around the plant or work it into the soil surrounding the plant? Won't the bone meal encourage the Critters to dig there?
rouge21

(Zone 4b)

October 20, 2011
9:43 AM

Post #8857095

For me it is my experience that bone meal attracts racoons and such to my plants where they proceed to dig up the plant :(; very frustrating.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

October 21, 2011
3:13 AM

Post #8857818

How about Blood meal?? It encourages blooms and the critters do not like the smell. I think it stays put pretty good too, just reapply about every 3-4 rains. :)
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 27, 2011
1:56 AM

Post #8865376

Virginiarose..do you work the Blood Meal into the soil around your plant or just sprinkle on top of soil surrounding the plant? Can you purchase Blood Meal at Home Depot or Lowe's? You know a lot of these stores have already turned their garden shops into a Holiday shop and it's hard to find certain garden supplies now until about end of January. I could probably drive 20 miles to a top notch nursery/garden center.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2011
4:50 AM

Post #8865436

I got mine from a local nursery, They suggested it and I bought it. I don't recall seeing it at the big box stores but they probably have it, just ask for it. The man at the garden center said ' Just sprinkle it around the plants.' Oh, even if they did convert their nursery, I have had some luck with the online shopping and then you pick it up at the store. Lowe's has site-to--store, guaranteed ready in thirty minutes. I pick-out what (online) and pick it up at the store, The man will even put it in the car or truck for you.

Susan

http://www.lowes.com (don't forget to select your store)
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2011
7:26 PM

Post #8868608

I dig around my plants and put the bone meal in the soil. I also use composted cow manure. It makes the plants bloom better than anything I've tried. Maybe the cow manure disguises the smell some. LOL. I haven't had any trouble out of digging animals of any kind.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9104348

I wonder what is the difference between blood meal and bone meal. Hummmm. ??
Nevermore44
Hamilton, OH

April 30, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9104509

just phosphorus vs nitrogen

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9104527

Well I bought the blood-meal because the man at the feed and seed said it would keep the rabbits out of my garden, then someone else said you have to reapply after every rain and since it is a fertilizer you could over fertilize. Then someone else suggested Millorganite which I have put down already and it also is a low dose fertilizer which I am told is ok as long as that is all you use. Now I am assuming bone-meal is another fertilizer and sure is fine im sure but it probably wont keep the rabbits away. I think that might be what we throw into the hole when we plant bulbs? I got my fertilizers all mixed up. :)
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9104645

I've always wanted one of that variety of coneflower(double pink delight or petite pink delight(Whatever!) will have to splurge for one for myself. Will have to remember about the bone meal, blood meal, cow manure and I'm familiar with milorganite, but have never used it. The milorganite is supposed to not only act as a fertilizer but deer deterrent. It comes in 35 lb. bags I believe. I understand that it doesn't smell as bad as one would think, unless you tend to stick your nose right in the bag..I'd definately put on plastic gloves when I applied it though.

Clint, doesn't that composted cow manure come in bags at garden centers? Only trouble with some of these products, they come in such large sizes and storing them is always another issue. Buy lots of 5 gal. paint buckets/orange or white at Home Depot, or these large storage tubs from any place that sells them..I have one for my potting mix, one for mulch, and I need one for Leaf gro, and garden soil.
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9104648

I get the composted cow manure from Lowes. I have good results with it.
Nevermore44
Hamilton, OH

April 30, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9104679

your plants can get all their needs from a variety of sources. I tried blood meal once for nitrogen.. but the smell of it was pretty bad.. so i didn't buy again after that. There are many organic options for nitrogen if you need... though probably not as quick acting. Bone meal gives the phosphorus (used for bulbs a lot)... which again, you can get from other sources if you had to. I have have used it before too.. but i now just use shredded leafs and leaf mold as a mulch, so i am able to get all i need with that.

Milorganite... it is completely safe and people use it all the time with great results... but the thought of using human sewage sludge just doesn't vibe with me...

The only thing that has worked for bunny issues for me is that spray scent deterrent you can buy from any big box store. It smells even worse then blood meal.. but it works well... and seems to last through a rain or two before i need to reapply.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2012
3:35 AM

Post #9105034

Thanks Nevermore, are you talking about the liquid fence or something else. I was getting ready to try that next, just trying to give the Millorganite a chance since I have the 35lb bag. :) One thing for sure the Hosta's are responding well, they have taken off like a shot.
Nevermore44
Hamilton, OH

May 1, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9105186

i believe it is the liquid fence product.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9105395

Nevermore44...a friend of mine only uses shredded leaves in her gardens..The neighbors know to call her after they have finished raking their leaves and put them in the required tall paper bags and she takes her truck and goes around collecting bags before the City comes around to get them. She has her own leaf shredder and DH sometimes shreds as many as 20 or 30 bags in a weekend. She lives in an older neighborhood that has hugh trees. I don't think I've ever seen any commercial mulch around her flower gardens since I've known her which is only about 2 or 3 yrs.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9106141

I just read somewhere on another thread about a person who says all they use is shredded leaves and that is all they need for slug control because the birds love the leaves and they eat the slugs. Are slugs even out during the day. I have heard about people using only leaves for mulch and fertilizer also.
Nevermore44
Hamilton, OH

May 2, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9106922

I am in a newer neighborhood... so the small trees don't produce much. But last year i found a municipal compost site where they collect their resident's leaves... and they give it out as needed to anyone.. to residents and non-residents. It's all nice and shredded and partially composted. They even have separate piles from each year collected. Not having to buy mulch anymore is so nice... though you have to replace it quicker.

In regards to slugs... i will say that the worm population just under the applied leaves is enormous.. much more then shredded bark. I would then also assume the slug population is having a hay day as well. The robins are constantly poking around and making a mess.. again more so in comparison to prior years with shredded bark. I haven't noticed any additional slug damage to plants though.. so everything seems in balance.

One new issue that most likely came in on the leaves are large snails. I have never had snails in my 8 years of being in the house, besides the tiny 1/8 in ones that you might find under a pot here and there. But now I have found a handful of the larger 3/4in types. I will have to keep any eye out to see what size of population i get this year.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9106924

Slugs are anywhere it is damp, which it usually is under leaves, shredded or whole.

The old reliable coneflower plants are showing their leaves, but there is no sign of those planted last year. I'll try them again once more and plant them earlier in the season.
Nevermore44
Hamilton, OH

May 2, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9106956

I have noticed some of the newer varieties don't show growth until much later then the standards. Don't know if that's because of their actual habit or the fact that they are barely hanging on.
rouge21

(Zone 4b)

May 2, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9107042

Nevermore44 wrote:or the fact that they are barely hanging on.

Being cynical that would be my guess ;).

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9107697

I think they call it 'Crop Failure.' :(
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9107802

LOL. Gotta love the crop failure. It sends them to Coneflower Heaven to enjoy the Maui Sunshine.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Coneflowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Did You go Cone Crazy? MollyMc 560 Jun 4, 2010 8:05 PM
Welcome to the Coneflowers Discussion Forum dave 17 Aug 28, 2007 9:38 PM
Shortest Coneflowers? cedarnest 60 Jun 4, 2008 6:00 PM
Is Rudbeckia hirta Considered a Coneflower? claypa 4 Jan 26, 2009 8:59 PM
Staking Coneflowers rosethyme 28 Jun 30, 2011 10:25 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America