Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Recipes: over abundance of eggs, need recipes! :)

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 15, Views: 144
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2011
6:31 AM

Post #8673301

Our hens are laying like crazy and we have an over abundance of eggs. Please post your favorite recipes for quiche, frittatas, bread puddings ect. so I can try out some new tried and true recipes using eggs. Yikes! I never thought I would have too many eggs!

maccionoadha

maccionoadha
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2011
3:14 PM

Post #8674372

Brunch Frittata

Nonstick cooking spray
2½ cups frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup sweet bell peppers, chopped
1 cup frozen broccoli florets, thawed
6 eggs
2 tbsp 2% milk
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 450°F.
Coat medium ovenproof skillet with cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onions, peppers and broccoli; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add hash brown potatoes; cook and stir 5 minutes.
Beat eggs, milk salt and black pepper in small bowl; pour over potato mixture. Cook 5 minutes or until edges are set (center will still be wet).
Transfer skillet to oven; bake 6 minutes or until center is set. Sprinkle with cheese; let stand 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Cut into 6 wedges and serve.

Aquene,
WautuckquesSochepo
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2011
5:23 PM

Post #8674620

Frittatas use tons and so do quiches. Our favorite way to use eggs is in tortilla de Espana, also known as a tortilla de patata. There are recipes on line. There's a bit of a learning curve but once you have it down these are incredible any time of day or night, hot or cold and day old too. WE even stuff them into Mexican tortillas with salsa, cheese, avocado, etc. for non-meat meals.
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8674866

Freeze your eggs, they freeze well. Crack them into freezer bags or containers as needed for recipes, i.e 3 whole, 3 whites, 3 yolks, etc.

When your eggs slow down, you'll be glad to have them. And...you can always scramble them for breakfast if you don't use them in baking.

:) Kathy
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2011
8:13 AM

Post #8675839

I'm starting a list of these recipes and I'm making it my goal to try them all this summer.

MistyMeadows, I've never heard of freezing eggs! This is something that I've got to try! I wonder if I could scramble them (like egg beaters) and freeze them that way. Smart thinking MistyMeadows!!! Thanks!
sonoranpoet
Cave Creek, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 6, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8676420

Angel Food Cake
Deviled Eggs
Eggs Benedict
Chocolate Souffle
French Toast
Pound Cake
Egg Foo Young

Lots of recipes out there on all recipes or simple food that should be good for any of these :)

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

July 7, 2011
5:21 AM

Post #8677709

Pavlova is easy, there are many recipes online.

I don't know why they call this souffle, it's not a souffle. It's a casserole, lol. You can make it with broccoli just as easily, it's a quick and easy side dish, or a light main course. I use about 2 cups of cooked florets, a perfect use for leftovers. I rarely use frozen spinach for this, I steam one bag of baby spinach till it's just wilted, and use as directed. Often as not, I use butter rather than vegetable oil. You can really add whatever veg you want to this, but don't blend potatoes--they turn purple, fold diced, cooked potatoes in after you blend, this is one use for leftover baked potatoes. I like dishes that clean out the refrigerator.

Spinach Souffle

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 pkgs frozen spinach -- thawed
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup milk
4 eggs
1/4 cup flour
1 slice onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 cup diced cheddar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Squeeze out any excess liquid from the spinach.

Combine in blender until creamed. I like to start and stop the blender frequently to let out air bubbles and mix with a spoon. Do not overblend.

Pour mixture into greased casserole dish and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. Let cool 5 minutes and enjoy!

jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2011
6:29 AM

Post #8677819

[quote="MaypopLaurel"]Frittatas use tons and so do quiches. Our favorite way to use eggs is in tortilla de Espana, also known as a tortilla de patata. There are recipes on line. There's a bit of a learning curve but once you have it down these are incredible any time of day or night, hot or cold and day old too. WE even stuff them into Mexican tortillas with salsa, cheese, avocado, etc. for non-meat meals.[/quote]

MaypopLaurel, I've never heard of tortilla de Espana. But I sure am going to try it! I just love potatoes & eggs. Thanks for this info.
Jo-Ann

maccionoadha

maccionoadha
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2011
8:30 AM

Post #8678029

Tex-Mex Breakfast Pizza
Non stick cooking spray
1½ cups frozen loose-pack diced hash brown potatoes, thawed
2 green onions, sliced
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp ground cumin
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup milk
1 tbsp fresh cilantro, snipped
1 16-oz Italian bread shell (Boboli)
1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
1 small tomato, seeded and chopped

Preheat oven to 375°F.
Spray a large skillet with cooking spray. Preheat over medium heat. Add the potatoes, green onions, peppers, garlic, and cumin. Cook and stir about 3 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
In a small bowl stir together the eggs, milk, and cilantro; add to skillet. Cook, without stirring, until mixture begins to set on the bottom and around the edge. Using a spatula, lift and fold the partially cooked mixture so uncooked portion flows underneath. Continue cooking and folding until egg is cooked through, but is still glossy and moist. Remove from heat.
To assemble pizza, place the bread shell on a large baking sheet or a 12-inch pizza pan. Sprinkle with half of cheese. Top with the egg mixture, tomato and the remianing cheese.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut into 8 wedges.

Aquene,
WautuckquesSochepo
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2011
11:39 AM

Post #8684160

Jomoncon, the fridge is so stuffed with produce here I've not bought potatoes in weeks but when I do I will make one and photograph it. We used to spend summers in Spain and these became a household staple. Yesterday I made a four egg frittata with garden broccoli and green onions, then topped it with feta.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2011
11:41 AM

Post #8684163

Usually I use six eggs but needed to save two for potato croquettes.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2011
11:49 AM

Post #8684170

This morning I made a berry apple triffle. Instead of layering the triffle with packaged pudding I made a cooked egg custard. That used six yolks. I froze the whites to make meringues or an egg white omelet another day.

maccionoadha

maccionoadha
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8684624

New Orleans Bourbon Bread Pudding

3 cups heavy cream
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 cup whole milk
1 cup golden raisins
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 French baguette (18- to 20-inch), torn into 1-inch pieces (10 cups)
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed and chilled, plus extra for baking dish
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 large egg yolks
3/4 cup bourbon

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Arrange bread in single layer on baking sheet and bake until crisp and browned, about 12 minutes, turning pieces over halfway through drying time and rotating baking sheet front to back. Let bread cool. Reduce oven temperature to 300°F.

2. Meanwhile, heat raisins with 1/2 cup bourbon in small saucepan over medium-high heat until bourbon begins to simmer, 2 to 3 minutes. Strain mixture, reserving bourbon and raisins separately.

3. Butter 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Whisk yolks, brown sugar, cream, milk, vanilla, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in large bowl. Whisk in remaining 1/4 cup bourbon plus bourbon used to plump raisins. Toss in toasted bread until evenly coated. Let mixture sit until bread begins to absorb custard, about 30 minutes, tossing occasionally. If majority of bread is still hard when squeezed, soak for another 15 to 20 minutes.

4. Pour half of bread mixture into prepared baking dish and sprinkle with half of raisins. Pour remaining bread mixture into dish and sprinkle with remaining raisins. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.

5. Meanwhile, mix granulated sugar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in small bowl. Using fingers, cut 6 tablespoons butter into sugar mixture until size of small peas. Remove foil from pudding, sprinkle with butter mixture, and bake, uncovered, until custard is just set, 20 to 25 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 450°F. and bake until top of pudding forms golden crust, about 2 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and cool at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours. Serve. (Leftover bread pudding should be refrigerated; reheat individual portions in microwave.)

Aquene *Peace*,
WautuckquesSochepo *SnowRabbit*
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

maccionoadha

maccionoadha
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2011
4:29 PM

Post #8684638

Here are a few more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tomato Sauce-Poached Eggs

1 tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil
1 cup onion, diced
2 small garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp sea salt
4 cup crushed tomatoes
1 tsp oregano leaves, crumbled
1/4 tsp black pepper
8 large eggs
2 cup cooked long-grain and wild rice blend

In small skillet heat oil over medium-high heat; add onion and sauté until tender. Add garlic and salt and sauté for about 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes and seasonings., reduce heat to low and let simmer until mixture thickens slightly.
Make 8 indents in tomato mixture. Break 1 egg into small cup, being careful not to break yolk; carefully slide egg into one of the indentations. Repeat with remaining eggs. Cover skillet and let simmer until eggs are set, 3 to 4 minutes; slide eggs and sauce over hot rice. Makes 4 servings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Western Frittata

1 cup red onion, chopped
1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
2/3 cup cooked potato, cubed
4 slices turkey bacon, diced
1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
1 tbsp + 1 tsp margarine, divided
8 eggs, beaten
Garnish: fresh oregano or parsley sprig

In 12-inch skillet heat margarine over medium heat, until hot and bubbly; sauté onions, peppers and potatoes, until onion is translucent. Pour egg into skillet over the vegetable mixture. Cook without stirring for 4 to 5 minutes or until cooked on the bottom and almost set on the top. Carefully turn the frittata over; cook for 1 to 2 minutes more or until done. Slide onto serving platter and cut into wedges. Makes 4 servings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eggs 'Benedict'

2 whole English muffin
4 (1 oz) slices Serrano Hamon (Spanish ham or Italian prosciutto)
2 small tomato, cut into half
4 large eggs, poached and kept warm
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp plain low-fat yogurt
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp Dijon-style mustard

Slice muffins in half and toast. Place hamon/prosciutto and 1 tomato slice on each muffin half, Broil 4 minutes. Top each muffin half with 1 poached egg.
Combine yogurt, lemon juice and mustard. Spoon yogurt mixture over each egg and serve immediately. Makes 4 servings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Corn Pudding

1 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
1/2 cup evaporated skim milk
Stevia or other substitute equal to 1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp white pepper
Dash allspice
2 small eggs, well beaten
Non-stick cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 2-quart casserole; set aside.
Combine corn, milk, sugar substitute, salt, pepper, allspice and egg in a medium bowl, stirring well.
Bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until knife inserted into center comes out clean. Serve warm. Makes 4 servings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

French Toast

4 eggs, beaten
1tbsp + 1 tsp skim milk
1/2 tsp sea salt
8 slices white bread
Non-stick cooking spray

Combine eggs, milk and salt in a shallow bowl and beat until frothy. Spray large skillet and preheat. Dip bread slice into egg mixture, coating both sides. Place bead slice into skillet and repeat with remaining slices. Cook 4 to 5 minutes on each side until browned. Makes 4 servings

Aquene *Peace*,
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

maccionoadha

maccionoadha
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2011
4:49 PM

Post #8684661

And a few more:

Cottage Cheddar Puff

2/3 cup cottage cheese
2 oz Cheddar cheese, shredded
4 eggs, separated
2 tsp minced onion
2 tsp Dijon-style mustard
1/8 tsp of Worcestershire sauce
Nonstick cooking spray

Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray four 10-oz custard cups with cooking spray; set aside.
In a blender container combine cheeses, egg yolks, onion, mustard and Worcestershire sauce and process until smooth, scraping down sides of container as necessary; set aside.
In a small mixing bowl beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry; fold 1/3 of cheese mixture into beaten egg whites, then fold in remaining cheese mixture. Spoon half of mixture into each sprayed cup; place cups on baking sheet and bake until puffs are gold brown, about 25 minutes. Makes 4 servings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Asparagus-Cheese Casserole

24 tsp margarine melted, divided
24 asparagus spears, cooked
6 oz extra sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
8 thin white bread slices (1/2 oz each), lightly toasted and cut into 1-inch squares
2 cup skim milk
2 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp mustard powder
Dash ground red pepper

Brush a shallow 2-quart casserole with 2 tsp margarine; arrange 3 asparagus spears in casserole, sprinkle with 2 oz cheese and top cheese with 1/3 of the bread squares. Repeat layers of asparagus, cheese and bread 2 more times, ending with bread.
In bowl combine milk, eggs, seasonings and remaining margarine; pour over mixture in casserole. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Preheat oven too 350°F. Set casserole in larger baking pan and pour boiling water into pan to reach halfway up the sides of the casserole; bake 1¼ hour (until a knife inserted in center comes out clean). Remove casserole from water bath and let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Makes 4 servings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zucchini-Mushroom Bake
2 tsp olive oil, divided
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 garlic clove, minced
2 cup zucchini, sliced thin
1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
1/2 tsp basil leaves
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
4 eggs
4 oz Monterey Jack cheese, shredded and divided
Nonstick cooking spray

Preheat oven to 400°F. In 12-inch skillet heat oil; add onion and garlic and sauté until onion is translucent. Add zucchini, mushrooms, red pepper, and seasonings and stirring constantly, sauté until vegetables are tender crisp, about 5 minutes; remove from heat.
In medium bowl beat eggs; add 2 oz cheese and sautéed vegetables and stir to combine.
Grease a small baking dish with cooking spray; transfer vegetable mixture to dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes (until puffy and browned and a knife inserted in center, comes out clean). Makes 4 servings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cheddar, Potato and Egg Pancake

1 tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil
6 oz potato, pared, sliced thin and dried with paper towels
4 oz sharp Cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
1 tbsp fresh chives, chopped or 3/4 tsp dried
1/8 tsp powdered mustard
1/8 tsp ground red pepper
4 eggs
Dash sea salt

Preheat oven to 350°. In 12-inch oven-safe skillet heat oil; brush pan with oil to coat entire bottom of pan. Spread potato slices over bottom of pan, overlapping slices slightly; using a pancake turner, press slices down. Cook over medium heat, occasionally pressing down with turner, but not stirring; until potatoes are tender and under side forms a crisp, brown crust; remove from heat.
In small bowl combine cheese, chives, mustard, and red pepper; sprinkle over potato crust, leaving a 1/2-inch border all around. Break 1 egg into small cup and carefully slide egg onto cheese mixture; repeat with remaining eggs, spacing eggs evenly. Sprinkle eggs with salt and pepper and bake 5 to 7 minutes or until done to taste. Using spatula, loosen edges of pancake from skillet; slide pancake onto warmed serving plate and cut in half. Makes 4 servings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

1 tbsp + 1 tsp margarine, divided
1 cup onion, chopped
3 cups cooked elbow macaroni
6 oz sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 ½ cup evaporated skim milk
2 large egg
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp ground red pepper
1/2 tsp paprika

Preheat oven to 350°F. In small skillet heat 2 tsp margarine until hot and bubbly; add onion and sauté until translucent(do not brown).
In bottom of 2-quart casserole spread 3/4 cup macaroni; top with 3 oz cheese, then half of the sautéed onion. Repeat layers. In small bowel combine evaporated skim milk, egg, salt and pepper, mixing well; pour over macaroni mixture and sprinkle with paprika. Dot with remaining margarine and bake until set, 20 to 25 minutes. Makes 4 servings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pipérade

1 tbs + 1 tsp olive oil
1 cup onions, sliced
1 cup red bell pepper, sliced(2 x 1/4-inch strips)
1 cup green bell pepper, sliced(2 x 1/4-inch strips)
2 small garlic clove, minced
1 cup crushed tomatoes
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
8 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tbsp + 1 tsp Parmesan cheese, grated
Non-stick cooking spray

In 10-inch skillet heat oil over medium heat; add onions and sauté until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add red and green pepper strips and minced garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until peppers are tender, 2 to 3 minutes longer. Reduce heat, stir in tomatoes and seasonings and let simmer until liquid has evaporated; remove from heat.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray shallow 3-quart casserole dish; add vegetable mixture and stir in eggs. Sprinkle egg mixture with Parmesan cheese and bake until set, 10 to 12 minutes. Makes 4 servings.

Aquene *Peace*,
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2011
7:30 PM

Post #8684971

Wow! I'm going to be busy! Thanks to all! Keep them coming because the chickens aren't done laying.; )

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America