What's for dinner? (Part 14)

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1189103/

Time to start a new one. Not sure what we're having for dinner tonight, but I've got some Cubanelle peppers that are quickly getting ripe, so sausage and peppers is on the menu sometime in the next few days

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks Terry
That IPAD was smoking with all that scrolling.
I didn't know if poor etiquette for anyone to start the thread that was not the originator of it.

Anyone is welcome to do so but I've tried to stay on the ball enough to get the new 'uns going in this series :-)

Columbus, OH

Grass-fed beef with a garlic-herb rub, grilled. Steamed corn with chimichurri, grilled romaine.

how do you grill the romain? do you buy it in one head and brush it? On the grill or on foil? Will you tell me how Celene?

Columbus, OH

So easy. You do need to buy whole heads, I quarter them, brush them with oil, and grill them quickly over a very hot flame until they have a char on both of the cut sides. I serve them cut side up, with some blue cheese (pr shavings of parmesan, or not), walnuts (or almonds, or not) and a drizzle of balsamic or caesar. My friend's children enjoy smaller heads of lettuce cut in half and grilled, with a squirt of ranch dressing, which kinda makes them finger food, and they ate it enthusiastically. Go figure!

One of my friends grilled individual leaves this weekend, and she said it was good. I suspect that might be too wilted for me, but she said it wasn't.

I have also been known to grill thick tomato slices or halves, onion slices, and fresh mozzarella slices to serve with the romaine. This makes a more substantial salad, okay for a light dinner or lunch.

I am going to try today.

Also going to babysit for 2.5 year old granddaughter and she loves fresh lettuce and I will try that for her too. Thank syou so much. I am looking foward to it.

Columbus, OH

My friend's three year said it made her want to take her shoes off and "pick leck-tuss". I'm not sure how those two things are related, but it was funny.

My granddaughter (not to hijack the thread Terry please excuse just a quick story) she was at a downtown area in Durham, NC. There is a huge water feature running through this downtown gathering/restaurant/ballpark area. Very fast flowing water..... she stood next to the rail looking into the water and began to holler "Whoooa Whoooa water...slow down slow down or you will trip!"

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL cute story!

Thanks for the new thread Terry!

The garden is finally kicking out lots of produce! Today we had kale from the garden in our kale, mushroom & onion omelet. I had a terrific green salad from the garden - even had lots of tomatoes in there. Oh I love summer!

Tam

I got the romaine after work, but it poured at dinnertime and after a pretty exhausting workday, I will look forward to what sounds like a great meal tomorrow.

I picked up a head of Romaine tonight to try tomorrow night, along with some "tuscan" style pork chops. We'll see how it goes :-)

East Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

I cooked "beet greens" from the Simply Recipes site.
from the recipe below. I thinned my beets and added the cut up the little baby beets and stems. I thought it was yummy.

Beet Greens
While this recipe calls for discarding the stems, if you want you can use them too if they aren't too woody. Just cut them into 1-inch segments and add them to the onions after the onions have been cooking for a minute.

Ingredients
1 pound beet greens
1 strip of thick cut bacon, chopped (or a tablespoon of bacon fat)
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 large garlic clove, minced
3/4 cup of water
1 Tbsp granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/6 cup of cider vinegar
Method
1 Wash the greens in a sink filled with cold water. Drain greens and wash a second time. Drain greens and cut away any heavy stems. Cut leaves into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.

2 In a large skillet or 3-qt saucepan, cook bacon until lightly browned on medium heat (or heat 1 Tbsp of bacon fat). Add onions, cook over medium heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occassionally, until onions soften and start to brown. Stir in garlic. Add water to the hot pan, stirring to loosen any particles from bottom of pan. Stir in sugar and red pepper. Bring mixture to a boil.

3 Add the beet greens, gently toss in the onion mixture so the greens are well coated. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 5-15 minutes until the greens are tender. Stir in vinegar. (For kale or collard greens continue cooking additional 20 to 25 minutes or until desired tenderness.)

Serves 4.

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/beet_greens/

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Hmm, that sounds really yummy. Too bad I didn't plant any beets this year!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

We halve the Romaine, olive oil the interior and then grill it. Then sprinkle with Parmesan and cracked pepper. It is great the next day if you like wilted salad.

We had a kitchen sink of grilled garden veggies added into a fresh tomato sauce and served over pasta with fresh basil and Parmesan.

Clay Center, KS(Zone 5b)

Tonight was wild caught Alaska salmon w/Trader Joes Soyaki Sauce/marinade, herbed new potatoes, sweet corn and a salad. Tomorrow should be first picking of green beans and whatever..probably beer can chicken on the grill. Garden is beginning to add to the Farmer's Market veggies and the herbs are producing except for the cilantro which grew about 3 inches tall and then proceeded to bolt. Basil, rosemary, sage, parsley are all doing well. It's been a strange spring/summer in the garden here.

Pork chops Tuscan-style (balsamic vinegar, chicken broth, capers and some diced plum tomatoes.) Side of charred Romaine, but didn't add enough cheese and nuts and stuff. We'll take another run at it soon.

Oh you all are making me hungry. These steroids make me crazy and hungry and reading this at 10 pm + is not such a hot idea. Again rain foiled the romaine --- but tomorrow I am home all day!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Quoting:
Pork chops Tuscan-style (balsamic vinegar, chicken broth, capers and some diced plum tomatoes.)

So how does all that come together? Is it a baked in the oven kinda thing? Any recipe with balsamic vinegar gets my attention.

Mary, the pork chops were easy - you dredge them in flour, pan sear them in a little olive oil (couple minutes on each side.) move them to a plate, throw some balsamic vinegar in the pan to deglaze. Add a tablespoon or more of capers, a 1/4 cup of chicken broth and a can of diced plum tomatoes (I used Italian style, so it added a little garlic and basil, but plain would have worked fine too.) Heat back up, re-add the chops and let them cook covered for another 4-5 minutes and serve. It would go great with mashed potatoes or rice, but since we're low-carbing, I did the charred Romaine as the side.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks Terry, I'll try that tonight. I have a lot of already roasted garden tomatoes to use up. I'll bet I could sub chicken breasts for the pork chops too. A few nights ago I made a slow cooker batch of chicken thighs with sweet potatoes and black beans, which made a ton so the SP and beans have been making a yummy side dish warmed in the toaster oven in a small cast iron skillet - that will go nicely with the tuscan chops.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I picked a few leaves of yellow cabbage collards this morning and plan to coat them with something tasty and dehydrate into snack chips. Any suggestions?

Mary if you like balsamic...with your bean, chicken and sweet potatoes.. ...a side of fried plantains drizzles with a wee balsamic go great.

Terry did the chops suck up the juice in the time in the pan or do they remain untouched inside? I have a pork loin that I can slice into cutlets...but I am wondering if the "bone in" helped your dish to stay moist and maybe I should wait for a chop before I try.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Would you be wanting a dry sprinkle or a wet something? I found a great garlicky marinade that I used for bbq chicken last night. Not sure if you can marinate the collards, then dehydrate.

10 cloves of garlic, rough chop
1/4 cup Worchestershire sauce
2 TBL low-sodium soy sauce
1 med onion, rough chop
1/4 cup water
chopped hot peppers to taste (I used 2 fresh habeneros)

In a blender pure all ingredients. Store in fridge for up to a week.

Very yummy for the chicken.

Quote from missingrosie :
Mary if you like balsamic...with your bean, chicken and sweet potatoes.. ...a side of fried plantains drizzles with a wee balsamic go great.

Terry did the chops suck up the juice in the time in the pan or do they remain untouched inside? I have a pork loin that I can slice into cutlets...but I am wondering if the "bone in" helped your dish to stay moist and maybe I should wait for a chop before I try.

The sauce was only on the outside of the chops - it didn't permeate them. (I used cutlets, not bone-in.)

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Have never eaten plantains, I may try that. Thanks missingrosie.

I like plantains but I'm about the only one in my family that does.

Be sue ripened or won't peel...very dry. Black is good as marker. Super sweet ...fast and hot fry both sides in maybe 1/4 inch slices. Stay with the fry pan because the sugar can burn very very fast. I use peanut oil because can take high heat. Drain and serve. It's a veggie dessert! Not sure of nutritional value but oh so good. When not sweet more of a starch/ potato yucca- like addition.

Thanks Mary... I may try that. I don't keep soy sauce but do have tamari. A dry coating probably wouldn't stick to the collards.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I don't use much soy sauce either, sub with Bragg's Liquid Aminos.

I have that, too. :)

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

There are so many ways to prepare plantains. They are eaten green in the islands and all over Latin America as a starch as in tostones in Cuba or mofungo (mashed with garlic and cracklins') in Puerto Rico or eaten ripe as platanos fritos or maduros. The green ones should never be refrigerated or they will be impossible to peel. They can be cooked at any stage. I have made great plantain bread with over-ripes so no need to feel guilty if you are timid and never get around to cooking them. When cooking green plantains, place them in hot tap water for five minutes or so and slit the three ridges down to the fruit, then cur both ends and remove the peel. We cut them in two inch chunks and fry them, remove them from the oil and place them on newspaper (the ink is soy based) and smash them. Then we refry them, salt and serve hot. It's a bit of work but we do it for a rustic company dinner, Cuban picadillo with black beans and rice.

We are having a salad with garden veggies, locally grown and grilled corn, eggs, cheese, ham and fresh garlic croutons. It covers every food group.

When cooking green plantains, place them in hot tap water for five minutes or so and slit the three ridges down to the fruit, then cur both ends and remove the peel. We cut them in two inch chunks and fry them, remove them from the oil and place them on newspaper (the ink is soy based) and smash them. Then we refry them, salt and serve hot.

And is this more of a potato or starchy replacement (like for rice) (meaning no sweet).

THANK you for the hints on the peeling

Hopefully, with your info Laurel, I have cussed my last cuss over these plantains. I had no idea NOT to refridgerate. I did it to stop the sweetening when I wanted more of the starch. I did not know about the hot water soak either, but I will tell you the peeling is horrid the way I have been doing....got so aggravating that I just use fried as a dessert or a sweet side to a meal like pork or shrimp.

Columbus, OH

No matter how much I try, I can't like plantain. I really dislike few things, but this is one of them.

Tch, tch...

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Last night was the Tuscan pork chops from Terry, very tasty - thanks for posting that one. Corn on the cob and that good old 5-minute bread that we just love (Potato/Garlic/Rosemary/Thyme). This time I put in 2 cups of whole wheat flour instead of all white. Very happy with the results.

Tonight, bbq chicken with that garlicky/worchestire sauce marinade I posted above. We REALLY liked it. And I'm making a potato salad based on the light, fresh thread here. Fresh lemon juice, small purple and red potatoes, lemon zest......probably garlic - 'ya think? More corn and bread.

Romaine was GREAT. I think I am even going to love it cold left over. Thanks again.

Ooooouch! $ 5 bucks for a quart of 3 inch long tiny sweet peppers...red, orange, yellow at farmers market. Well they sure looked pretty and taste oh so good.... But 5 bucks!

Potatoes were nice and cheap. Celebrity tomato $ 3.00 a pound. I HAVE a sunny spot to grow but the critters under and over ground are wicked hard to manage.

Tonight : sweet Italian sausage, potatoes, peppers, and onions in oven. Season, toss in a wee bit olive oil, fresh garlic, and tomato sauce (canned is fine) and the last few min baking sprinkle fresh shaved parm. Easy clean up. Great leftover.

Now just got to fix a salad and heat the bread.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

We had garden fresh broccoli & green beans cooked w/crisp bacon bits & garlic, tossed w/a little wine, cream & Parmesan cheese over whole wheat pasta.

Tam

My hubby's dream meal!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.