Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Water Gardens: Foggers.. I'm interested in gettng another fogger

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 22, Views: 194
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2011
5:53 AM

Post #8675535

years ago I had a small fogger.. likely a one or 3 disk unit... does anyone have any fogger stories or comments... maybe fog pictures
I'm partcularly interested in how big a fogger I might need for a total fog look cascadeing out of a raised pond..
there are one, two , three , five , and nine head units..
I had one years ago... but can't remember how big of a unit it was then.. but loved the prehistoric look of it... like from the age of dinosaurs wth a red underwater light... it looked volcanic..
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 6, 2011
12:00 PM

Post #8676361

No clue, but it sure sounds neat.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2011
7:20 PM

Post #8694974

I wish I had some information for you! I love they way they look but I've never used one.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 15, 2011
7:25 PM

Post #8694986

Well, shoot. That Pet Place, Foster and smith, etc. I am sure I have seen them in their catalogues. I just googled "pond fogger" and got a bazillion hits.
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2011
8:43 AM

Post #8695685

yes.. they are neat..I guess I can't go wrong getting one with a bunch of heads... maybe a 5.. that should be over fogging... which is the look I'm going for.. ... I was in Chincoteague Island, VA http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1G1SNNTCENUS412&q=va+wild+horses&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1043&bih=713&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

seeing the wild horses.. and went to a mini golf area where they had ponds and plenty of fog... you couldn't see anything when you shot your ball through it..
many of the foggers have LED lighting... but most change colors through their spectrum... but I don't like the feel of that... I prefer a constant light... .. and now find my underwater light was gong to use needs a new transformer.. so maybe do need one with light... there is one unit that has chooseable colors where you can set one coclor.. or have it cycle through.. and they make a 5 head unit... sounds like it's perfect... it's also remote controled... not something need at all... as it's close enough to access easily.. perhaps it's ok... and might be of use n the next pond.. but real pricey... but it's part of an over the top end to the look here... as hear the place is on the market and I'll be off somewhere after..
yes.. there's lots to choose from... and the garden/pond center who don't answer ther phones.. is about 1 1/2 hours away... and lists it... and has a dsplay pond area... but they are closed by the time the dsplay ponds are turned on at dusk.. so that means a trip up and back after viewing.. and up and bac to buy it if it seems great.. might be a wash to stay about and work and just buy it online sight unseen
http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl=en&rlz=1G1SNNTCENUS412&biw=1043&bih=749&tbm=isch&oq=+foggers+in+ponds&aq=f&aqi=&q=foggers%20in%20ponds
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 16, 2011
8:50 AM

Post #8695695

Are you still gardening on a roof top? Do you have a small pond there?

I live in a rural area and it's common to see fog hanging above the fields and the roads. It always appears white of course and that in itself lends an eerie feel. We have a lot of deep ditches here along the road. Not only does the fog hang above them, it also connects in streaks across the road. It's interesting to be driving down the road and you hit a cloud of the fog. It actually feels cooler and smells different.

My pond is about 100' from the house. I think I'd enjoy a small feature by the patio with a fogger. Just the sound of water is so relaxing!
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

July 28, 2011
1:12 AM

Post #8720327

Well... I did get a 5 head unit... I could have gone with the 9 head one as the ammount of fog it displays has alot to do with the air movment around the pond... yes... I'm still on the roof... but this is perhaps the last year for me here...
anyway... 6 floors up there's always some air movment... and the 5 head unit is filling the pond... it's just not overflowing and running across the roof as I was looking for...

This message was edited Jul 28, 2011 3:12 AM

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Click the image for an enlarged view.

GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

July 28, 2011
1:16 AM

Post #8720329

but it's great over the water.. tomorrow I'll go out and put a wind baffle behind the fence and cut down the air movment through the fence in that corner

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

July 28, 2011
1:30 AM

Post #8720334

I got a seperate light... rather than getting one buit into the fogger.. the fogger lights seem to only cycle through it's colors.. and doesn't let you choose and keep a steady light of any one color... the light i did get has about 144 LED's.. and lets you cycle through the colors...
or choose one color as a constant..

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 28, 2011
9:00 AM

Post #8720846

what a fantastical picture, the one with the city in the background. What a cool pond. Creepy but cool
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2011
12:12 PM

Post #8746790

absolutely beautiful! I love your ideas. Now, what is this about your possibly not being there much longer???? Your place is so wonderful... thinking of some place where you have more room for more magic?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 9, 2011
5:23 PM

Post #8747402

Oh my goodness! A city scape in the background! What an awesome picture...
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2011
4:16 AM

Post #8748116

MStella... well creepy .. hope that's the excitment.
Tammie... OH... Gee thanks... you sure have a way with complements... yes.. I've an option still open that will keep me here.. I'm a partner in it.. but not on the title..and she wishes to sell... and part.. in this banking era I doubt they would write a loan for me... so I'm seeking help with financing the 1/2 I don't control now.. carryng it is less of a problem.. starting up again somewwhere else is also an excitng option.. bigger.. and warmer.. with much more magic...MMMMM.. or maybe the long awaited crusing sail boat... all exciting options..
Mary.. yes a city scape.. you have to be slightly away from it to be able to see it this way..
and another picture
it's a banner year up topside.. without a thought of anything except having it be the searng memory of
Spectacular

This message was edited Aug 10, 2011 6:53 AM

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

August 10, 2011
9:23 AM

Post #8748535

Beautiful. And peaceful rather. All those people with their lights, and you up high in the quiet. Or so I imagine.
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2011
11:32 AM

Post #8748810

I am always amazed by the things you do with the limited space you have. I can't imagine what you would do with a large open area in a more tropical climate! It would be a true fantasy land you could sell tickets to see.

This year has been completely devistating for all my plants. I have lost all but 1 of my brugs and it is barely hanging on. Only 3 inches tall and 4 leaves at this point. I just found my second one that I have been keeping inside is a gonner. The severe drought and no humidity has done just about everything in. My bananna died a few weeks ago.. I can't even keep my potato vines growing! Had two going in pots and now just one is barely making it and that is because it is in almost total shade. I water as much as the restrictions allow and my yard is almost dead.

I am now enjoying plants by everyones pictures. Hopefully this weather pattern will break and I will be begging starts from everyone again. It will be a big job starting everything over including a yard!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

August 10, 2011
11:49 AM

Post #8748891

Oh Tammie. I have read about how awful your heat is. I don't know about plants (or rather I do) but you must be wilting also. I don't know that anything I have would survive even a normal Texas summer, but I would gladly contribute to the rebuild.
Mary
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 10, 2011
4:13 PM

Post #8749328

Tammie...I certainly understand the heat and lack of water! Oddly, we've had rain on and off for the past 2 days, which was a dream come true! Tomorrow, however, it goes back to dry and 99...sigh...
I experimented a few years ago, with putting many of my plants in vases with tadpoles...and it worked! So far I've grown canna, banana, hosta (which doesn't even grow here in Orlando), elephant ears, etc in antique pottery vases (like Hull )
I was intrigued seeing the fogger for this forum...and thought Ah Ha! Maybe(?) a way to add mist to the leaves of some of the tropicals during these dog days (and it's a really BAD dog!) of summer?
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8749338

My pond EE did not survive the winter in the garage.. it was just too cold last winter. I have been unable to find another. My pond is doing OK.. I even had 2 water lily blooms which is good for my little pond since the water moves quite a bit. I am happy to have leaves. I have 4 goldfish in the pond. I have to keep cutting out the cattails.. they have tried to take over my 120 gallon pond this year. LOL .. at least one thing is happy this year. We are allowed to keep a pond going here if it has aquatic life. As long as walmart sells fish, I will have aquatic life!!! LOL
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

August 10, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8749421

that's funny. No guarantee on the longevity though. No, my Walmart 20 for $5.00 gold fish are in their third year and growing like weeds.
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8749444

the fogger gets mosture into the air without watering.. or spraying.. it's just rapidly agitated water by the ultrasonic vibrators... but the fog flowing out is water..
don't guess that's restricted activity in a fish pond ..
I saw Sandi from Austin. here in the city.. and gave her the tour... she said there the water company restricted the water they can use.. and then raised the rates to make up the mone for the water they wern't getting or paying for...
it sounds like the government of the new world order
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2011
6:01 PM

Post #8749479

They are raising our rates by about $3 per 1,000 gallons I think .. that will raise my monthly bill by about $54! .. that is when I am conserving. They went up on my sewer rate this spring by $36 already and I think that is going up again also but they have not said by how much.

I had 6 Walmart goldfish for several years but my auto fill float messed up and and filled the pond with too much city water this spring and they got too much chlorinated water at once.. killed them.. I have started over with new small ones. Bought 10 so I was hoping at least 6 would survive but only 4 did. I need to buy a few more before these get too big but they are growing like weeds! They do grow quickly. The water in the pond in hot from this hot weather... good thing these fish are tolerant to all conditions.. they survive almost frozen water in the winter too.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2011
7:22 PM

Post #8749609

Tammie -

I have to ask - how many gallons of water do you go through per month? We pay quite a bit for water too.

Gordon - I love the effect of the mist in the evening contrasting with the city lights. Such a wonderful setting.
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2011
8:02 PM

Post #8749660

I have to water year round since I have fescue grass... small yard... winter is usually about 6,000 gal per month but last winter I used about 9,000. Last june was 17,000 and July was 18,000...can't figure that out since I went down from 3 days per week watering to 2! I did a lot less laundry and even washed the dogs less in July... I even changed the water in my jacuzzi in June. If the amount is not less on this next bill I am going to have the meter checked. I know I used 22,000 to 24,000 per month when I put in the yard 22 years ago and was watering 3 times per dayl...so, these numbers they are billing me don't make sense. I had a hose run an entire weekend full force... 4 days once and it was 32,000 that month about 2 years ago.

Hey Gordon, keep the pictures coming... I love those night time pictures! I love looking at my little pond at night. I kept buying pond lights but they kept fritzing and are sooo expensive. I finally bought a string of white Christmas rope lights and ran them along the inner edge under the water. As long as the ends are not under the water, they are fine. The rope has been in the pond for several years on a timer and I have not had to replace it yet.. less than $10 on after Christmas sale solved my pond lighting problem. I have an extension cord going to a plasitc shoebox with the timer in it behind the pond sitting on the ground and then a rubbermaid plastic container upside down on top. That way water can not get to the timer unless it is more than 5 inches deep and rain can't get to it either. Safe and dry.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America