Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

The fun begins!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Spotted a Bobcat in the yard today. Ground breaking for the new pond begins. I am so excited!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Athens, PA

Oh, I cannot wait to see!

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

lol. At first I though you meant a furry bobcat. couldn't see the picture very well. A friend of ours from N Dakota used and sold them up in Fairbanks. the mechanical not the furry. :) How exciting...

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

The boulders arrived. Picked out a big one that will be a "two seater" on the ponds edge.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

This lovely yard art was delivered last night.Sitting in the middle of the front yard. Oh Yeah! Nice touch!

Thumbnail by BeaHive

Hey, would you prefer pink flamingos?? Ours are usually green at least. Those boulders are huge.

Athens, PA

Nice boulders - how big will your new pond be?

The second picture is interesting. Better that then having them use the one in your home.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

The new pond will be 12' wide by 20' length with a 25' long stream. 3 ft deep in most areas. Going to be great.

Athens, PA

Oh it is going to be great!

how fun! how many gallons will it be??

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

The pond will be about 5400 gal. Good thing I live in Oregon and we have plenty of rain to keep it filled.

Largest shed built today 16' x 8' :)

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Second shed 10x 10.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

Wow! I have serious rock envy! It's going to look great!

I don't know about 'rock envy' but I surely have square footage and gallonage and shed envy!!!

Athens, PA

I am having serious shed envy too.....

Virginia Beach, VA

I will be following the progress of your pond!! Very exciting!!

Bellie

Arlington, TX

Now this will be a pond! It already sounds lovely. I can't wait to see the final product.
C

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Retaining wall of boulders are in.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Ground breaking for the pond. yeah!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Starting the stream bed.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Water works

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Master mind behind this project. Jamison Ulibarri owner Son Light Landscaping Silverton Oregon.
Tel 503-874-8811 Cel 503-932-1985
Web http://www.sonlightlandscapes.com/
FB http://www.facebook.com/pages/Son-Light-Landscapes/106819042714105

The best! He created my last pond so I am sure this one will be great too!

This message was edited Jul 15, 2011 9:18 AM

Thumbnail by BeaHive

My golly. What a project. So the piping for the water and/or drains is about 1' below pond bottom level??

Craig Co., VA(Zone 7a)

Keep those pictures coming!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

The piping is about six inches below. He has changed the slope of the lot and is building it up as we go. They now appear to be about 1-3 " below.. Some will be under paver walk ways and others in new flower beds. Must try to mark and remember where they will be buried when I dig the dirt. No work today due to the rain last night. :(

Yeah. gully washer rain here today, and lighter rain yesterday. No complaints though. The last few weeks have actually be beautiful.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Some of my neighbors strolling by to check on the progress of their new pond.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

You looking at me? This one was staring at me this morning as I sat by my bedroom window enjoying that first cup of coffee. Mornings are going to be great around here.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

The crew was back today with another fun toy.

This message was edited Jul 16, 2011 11:59 AM

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

This poor fellow had the aweful task of compacting the earth all around the pond. He said before he went home that he still felt like he was vibrating. Not a job I could handle. Very noisy too! Sounded like a helicopter was hovering over my house all day.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

The weiner dog two lots down wanted to know what all the ruckus was about.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

The pond is getting bigger every day. They worked on developing a plant shelf today. Baby steps and it will soon be done.

This message was edited Jul 16, 2011 6:22 PM

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Very hectic day with the pond building, the blind installation on my windows,and the tree service checking out all the trees on this property. 8 oaks will need to be removed next tueday due to disease and ice damage in years past. The other will get some branch pruning. There goes most of my budget for the front yard landscaping!! Bummer, but it is a safety issue and needs to be done. One beautiful thing happed today. A day lilly bloomed and it is so pretty!

Thumbnail by BeaHive

I want a place where you live. Deer, greenery, no highways in your back yard, just deer. I think Dallas is just south of Portland?? I wonder what about 20 acres would cost? I am so excited to watch your project. A 12 year old was running that loader? What a hoot.

so how did you come to move to Dallas, Oregon? I googled a bit and it looks like a really nice place to live.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Dallas is south of Portland and southwest of Salem. Real Estate is very affordable here i think. Here is a local web link to some horse properties for a comparison to AK. http://www.homeswithhorsesense.com/dallas-idx.php
My sister lives in Anchorage and It can be an expensive place to live, not to mention cold. I moved to Dallas by chance. I was looking for a larger acerage property in the country, but on my budget if I got some acerage I would not get a decent home. So I settled for .25 acres and a recently renovated 1968 home with $$ to spare to get the landscaping done here. The homes in this neighborhood are spaced on larger lots with large trees and the feel of living in the country. I love it. Silverton where I lived before was a wonderful town. I just did not like the neighborhood I lived in. The houses were built very close togethr and despite the lovely garden & pond I had there, i never had any privacy or peace & quiet like i have here. So far so good. :) I even have found two tree frogs. I am hoping many will come to the pond as well as the bull frogs I fell in love with at my last pond. Miss them

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Athens, PA

BeaHive

I hear you - DH and I are not too thrilled with our neighbors. Neighbors can certainly make or break a situation. We have done everything to make our yard private and have had a lot of comments on how private our yard is, yet it is in the middle of town.

We plan on moving when I retire and plan on going more rural than we are right now. We, too will be building another pond when we move.

Loving your pictures - keep them coming.

Virginia Beach, VA

Beahive,
Is that a alocasia where froggie is in? If so do you know what spicie? sp???

Thanks, Belle

Oh, I love the froggie. I will follow the url to see about property. We also are in a noisy unprivate place. Although we like most all our neighbors and have sort of been adopted by the younger couples with little kids. I retired two years ago and am still trying to get used to it. winters are longggggg.

I saw some properties with 5-10 acres that would suit me fine. but the thought of starting over in a totally strange place is scary.

am so very much enjoying your pictures. also very instructive!!

BeaHive

Will you be keeping koi in your pond and are snakes / raccoons a big issue where you live (as far as ponds)?

Just curious. I am enjoying the updates.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.