-
AuthorContent
NativeVA
Craig Co., VA
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2011
7:54 AM

Post #8677963

On my drive to work each day, I pass by many wildflowers along the side of the road. Many I would like to have in my meadow at home. They will soon be mowed down by the road crew. My question is, would I get the same seed production by taking a cut flower and putting it in water and allowing it to do it's thing in a vase or are there other factors?
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

July 7, 2011
11:10 AM

Post #8678339

Most flowers are pollinated by insects. So if you cut some, take the ones who already bloomed and put them in a vase until their seeds are ripe.
If all are still blooming, put them in a vase and leave the vase outside, somewhere where insects come frequently.
It depends on the kind of wildflower wheather it will set seed in a vase or not. Some flowers need months to let their seed ripen and you won't achieve that in a vase.
So I strongly advice to take the most faded blooms or (better) the ones who already started to set (unripe) seed. I hope this is clear, because English is not my motherlanguage.

Jonna
NativeVA
Craig Co., VA
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2011
12:05 PM

Post #8678439

Yes, thank you, it was clear. I know about the pollination and I would take the flowers that look the oldest, hoping that they already met up with some cute little bug that did their thing.
nhuntley
Holladay, UT
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2011
10:51 AM

Post #8714285

Jonna, I just had to tell you that your English is much better than a lot of people that speak English as their only language!

Natalie
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2011
12:38 PM

Post #8714456

Thank you Natalie for the compliment.

Since you're in zone 5, may I ask you if you're interested in trading seeds. I'm only interested in seeds of wild plants, so no hybrids. Please have a look at my website to see if there is anything on it that interests you. ALL my seeds are available for trading.

www.seedsite.eu

Kind regards,

Jonna
nhuntley
Holladay, UT
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2011
2:27 PM

Post #8714611

Jonna, everything in my yard is covered in bees, so I doubt I'd ever get seed from anything that isn't hybrid. Sorry about that, because I'd be interested in trading. I'm also just about full, as far as yard space goes!

Natalie

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America