Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Amaryllis and Hippeastrums: Ellen Bosanquets-one year to the next

Communities > Forums > Amaryllis and Hippeastrums
bookmark
Forum: Amaryllis and HippeastrumsReplies: 4, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 7, 2011
11:52 AM

Post #8678422

For those folx I sent a bulb to last year, please don't be upset- IF these are Ellen Bosanquets, mine are behaving strangely this year, and I think it may be because of the weather, their heavy production last year and lack of maintenance most of the year, these are last years blooms

Thumbnail by kittriana
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 7, 2011
11:59 AM

Post #8678431

this years blooms

Thumbnail by kittriana

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 7, 2011
12:01 PM

Post #8678433

Looks like a whole different plant!

Thumbnail by kittriana

RandyRick
Dahlonega, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2011
5:36 PM

Post #8682756

Yes I wouldn't have guessed it was the same plant.

I wonder if soil ph has much affect on crinum? That and as you pointed out lack of attention and nutrients.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 9, 2011
8:16 PM

Post #8682984

These do that, mystified as why, I had heard that they don't always bloom as they did, but this is the first time I've seen it, they were later blooming than usual-our drought- but I did throw bone meal out this year and don't usually, I usually tottally neglect them- also I had to trim leaf length last year due to some other problems, so? too much attention? they store sugars in the bulb and the nex bloom is already pulling energy for its show. Simply wanted to show this to a couple of ppl who had asked for bulbs that I sent to them- they probably think I have been confusing things, but I don't have multitudes to mix, so, we see how they do NEXT year. And by the way- the whole clump did this, about a 4'x3' square of them.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Amaryllis and Hippeastrums Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hippeastrum johnsonii Lenjo 9 Oct 31, 2008 9:15 PM
Amaryllis question JoleneS 15 Nov 30, 2007 7:35 AM
Hippeastrum papilio x evansiae seedlings rrog2001 16 Feb 23, 2012 7:47 PM
Mexican AMARYLLIS Sprekelia Riverland 17 May 20, 2007 7:21 PM
Red Staining in Hippeastrums an anti-fungal? raydio 21 Dec 20, 2007 3:09 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America