-
AuthorContent
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2011
12:22 PM

Post #8678485

I just wanted to give a picture tour of what's going on around the homestead here.

This is an updated pic of the ducks and the geese. They come right up to the house now and make a bunch of racket when they are hungry...little buggers have me trained well.

Thumbnail by titaniumRX8
Click the image for an enlarged view.

titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2011
12:22 PM

Post #8678489

another...

Thumbnail by titaniumRX8

titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2011
12:24 PM

Post #8678494

first time that I was able to get them all together.

Thumbnail by titaniumRX8

titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2011
12:26 PM

Post #8678498

I let them out into the yard to get some goodies...and they decided they liked to be under the coop instead.

Thumbnail by titaniumRX8

titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8678507

here is another just before they went under...

This message was edited Jul 8, 2011 11:42 AM

Thumbnail by titaniumRX8

titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2011
12:29 PM

Post #8678509

here are my Salmon Faverolles. They are both turning out to be quite nice looking chickens if I must say so myself.

This message was edited Jul 8, 2011 11:42 AM

Thumbnail by titaniumRX8

titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2011
12:32 PM

Post #8678514

another with them digging around out in the woods just beyond the coop

Thumbnail by titaniumRX8

titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2011
12:33 PM

Post #8678519

here are the ducks down by the pond

Thumbnail by titaniumRX8

titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2011
12:42 PM

Post #8678536

Here is an unrelated item I wanted to show everyone...My unruly muscadine vine. We didn't tame it this fall/winter after we moved in and it has worked its way up into the tree, over the fence by the pond and also out into the yard. The good thing though is it is loaded down with grapes. We will have a bumper crop of them no doubt. So any DGers out there that has any good advice as to what to do with them? My dad made wine with them, but I don't think we'll be able to do that...If I remember correctly it is a lot of work.

Thumbnail by titaniumRX8

titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2011
12:43 PM

Post #8678539

close up

Thumbnail by titaniumRX8

Haystack
Ferndale, WA

July 7, 2011
4:51 PM

Post #8679017

Excellent pic's, Those ducks are so cute. Grapes must not be ripe yet, I kept trying to get some to fall off into my hand...LoL...Love that pond area...thanks for sharing...Hay
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2011
5:38 PM

Post #8679141

Thanks Haystack for the complements...

I have read that they will probably ripen up in Aug. I'm not sure what type they are - there are several types green, gold and purple. We moved here in October so they were mostly gone then...whether by human or animal. I'm not much of a grape eater so I will have a bit of a time thinking up uses for them. I am wondering if I could make a jelly/jam out of them. I know the skins are really tough so that may be the deciding factor as to what I will do with them.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 7, 2011
8:45 PM

Post #8679495

I'll bet they wold make awesome jelly!
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2011
8:58 PM

Post #8679516

My MIL would give me muscadines from her vines (north Georgia) each year when we lived in Alabama. I made wine with them in the big glass gallon jars. It was the best wine I have ever had. (I like sweet wine.) It was a little work, yes, but worth the trouble. One year the fungus knats invaded and ruined 12 jars of wine. I was very discouraged about that. Soon afterward we move to Texas, though, and since muscadines don't grow here, I haven't tried making wine again. I once made black berry wine in Alabama also and it turned out really good. I really miss the homemade wine.
If you do decide to make wine, be careful about tasting it before it is finished fermenting (when finished the alcohol will kill the yeast.) I did that and the yeast started fermenting me! I fought that yeast infection for over 10 years. The doctors kept prescribing antibiotics which only made the problem worse.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2011
4:29 AM

Post #8679744

I don't know about you, but I prefer to do my canning in the winter, when heat is appreciated in the kitchen:). That means I dump everything in the freezer until then.
And yes, excellent jelly or jam. Jelly would probably be easier, you'd just need to strain out all the unwanted stuff. I don't think you'd need to do much but cook them, but I'll check on whether you can leave the seeds in as it stews.
I have wild muscadine vines everywhere, but no grapes. I'm telling myself it's less that I need to do :)

Around here, at least, the red/purple ones are called Muscadines, the green/gold/ bronze are known as Scuppernongs. I think they're all technically Muscadines, tho.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2011
5:00 AM

Post #8679775

Nice nice photos Titanium! I just love the Favorelles, handsome birds! Duckies are too cute.
As for your Muscadines...well Im a bit Jealous! I have a 20 ft row of the golden ones and they didnt even Try this year. Last year they made beautifully. Wouldnt you know, I decided that I really didnt need to be making any jelly, cause I didnt really need all those extra calories! I wasnt thinking about Christmas presents!!!!! Not in August! Now this year I wanted to do just that...well NO grapes...Bah!
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2011
5:17 AM

Post #8679803

Eufala, ya know you can make sugar free jellies...Just sayin'

grin
porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 8, 2011
6:46 AM

Post #8679969

We have huge Muscadine vines growing on the river bank on the west side of our farm. The leaves, however, are quite different from yours (?) I eat the grapes but am too lazy to do anything creative with them.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2011
9:00 AM

Post #8680176

I'm so happy to see the Favorelle photos. I have two roos and five hens, and none of them are identical. Of course, they're much younger, and I think the colors may stabalize, but yours look like what I was expecting to see...
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2011
9:54 AM

Post #8680297

Catmad - My poor male gets bullied around a lot by the EEers. But they bully everyone of the males I have so he is not the only one getting the feathers yanked out. I did notice on some of the pics of other males that some have more of the yellowish feathers on the back, but he doesn't seem to have them...He does have some darker brown ones in the back area. The female had turned much redder/salmon since I got her. She was didn't have much of the salmon color when I first got her so there has been a lot changes for both of them since I got them. They are both really sweet chickens. Wish I'd got more of them...
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2011
10:04 AM

Post #8680319

My "plan" was to have these live by themselves, because I'd heard they were often bullied. Now, it looks as if they may need to live with the Blue Cochins, but since they're growing up togther, I hope it will be okay. Then again, my plans are usually in a shambles by the time they come due, so we'll see. Especially since a friend of mine is "getting out of chickens". Sigh...
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 23, 2011
7:44 PM

Post #8711495

well my ducks have pretty much stopped laying. I am getting 2 or 3 eggs a weeks from 10 hens. Will be glad when this heat is over
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 23, 2011
8:25 PM

Post #8711599

Not getting many eggs here either. I think we will all be glad to see cooler fall temperatures. My guineas and chickens just lay around in the shade panting. I turn the sprinkler on them to help but it is just too hot.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America