Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Herbs: Herbs in the South

Communities > Forums > Herbs
bookmark
Forum: HerbsReplies: 12, Views: 468
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jan
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 27, 2001
5:16 PM

Post #1812

Although I use dried herbs while cooking, I have never grown them. I live in the deep South. In late July, August and early September the heat as well as the humidity runs between 95 and 100 degrees. My tomato plants will stop producing and fight just to survive at this time. Is there anything I just shouldn't waste time trying to plant?
Help!!!
Jan
Grits
Pineville, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 27, 2001
10:18 PM

Post #54699

Jan - I'm also in 8b, and have had no trouble with any of the herbs I grow. Those that say full sun to part shade, I go shade because of the extreme heat and they do well.

Grits
jan
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 28, 2001
1:54 AM

Post #54733

Thanks Grits
I won't be shy about what I plant. I'll take your advise about the full sun to part shade
Jan
Pete2
Richmond Hill, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 1, 2001
3:44 PM

Post #55085

Another 8b'er here! I have no problems growing herbs either. I make sure all of my herbs (regardless of what's called for) get some shade for part of the day.

P2
Grits
Pineville, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2001
8:01 PM

Post #55327

Oh, that our property would only have morning sun. . . Wouldn't that be wonderful? My herbs are hardy even thru winter - especially the thyme, it's sprouting up all around the mother plant.

Our friend also has lots of rosemary that winters over well.
Grits
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2001
10:39 PM

Post #55358

zone 9 here...I can grow parsley year round and rosemary too.My rosemary is blooming right now, it has pretty purple flowers. My herbs are grown in morning sun, with protection from the hot evening sun. Lisa
jan
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2001
12:46 PM

Post #55462

Thanks Grits
Thanks Lisa
I have rosemary, parsley and tyme on my list. Now I know where to plant them! I hate seeing my beautiful plants keel over with heat about 1pm. I know they are taking a pounding. Do you know of any herbs that need that kind of heat!

More questions!
Jan
Pete2
Richmond Hill, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2001
4:21 PM

Post #55522

Dill and basil will take that kind of heat for sure. :)

P2
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2001
5:35 PM

Post #55532

Jan,I am going to get a little off thread here, but you have the neatest little town! We always pass through Mobile going to Fla. but never really saw the town. In Jan. we were there for the Hort Expo at the convention center and stayed at the Comfort Inn by the mall. I was pleasantly surprised how nice ya'll town was :-) Lisa
dsrtgdn
Lancaster, CA

March 5, 2001
4:37 PM

Post #56010

Hi Jan (and all),

I'm 8a but completely different from your southern humidity. I get HEAT but no moisture in the summer. Sage does very well here. It will not tolerate overwatering but in a raised bed in full sun in may do well for you. Also lavendar thrives in a hot climate with enough moisture. Chives will do alright for you and oregano too I think if planted near a west wall on the eastward side for afternoon shade.

My suggestion for practically all herbs is well drained soil.

Chris
jan
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 6, 2001
12:45 AM

Post #56109

Thanks Lisa
I like Mobile too, it's just big enough for me!

Thanks Pete and Chris for the input, I'll try the dill basil oregano and chives. I'm going to put lavender in later in the summer and let it overwinter in my greenhouse. That way I may get flowers the first year!
Ya'll been a great help.
Pete2
Richmond Hill, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 6, 2001
2:21 PM

Post #56214

Your welcome, Jan.:)

Chris, what state are you in? That's so true about the desert heat! I remember driving cross country for a month (before children of course. LOL) and spending lots of time driving in the desert in 100+ temps. When I found out how hot it was, I couldn't believe it! The heat without all the humidity we have here is really not so bad. :)

Terri
michele5000
Joshua Tree, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 7, 2001
5:08 AM

Post #56355

Oh my gosh! Another desert Gardener? Chis, may I ask what area are you in? E-mail me, I would love to talk to another desert Gardener. Are you from the desert Gardeners Group? If so I know You! I have rosemary, parsley, all year. Dill, and Basil are very easy. Chives, too. I grow these in full sun. Now here, a good layer of mulch, 2 inches, really makes the difference. Keeps the ground cooler, keeps it from evaporating. Also when it is hot you want to collect the herbs in the morning hours. Before the oils on the herbs dry out.(in full sun.)I clip off the side leaves never the top, it can kill the plant. Just a few off the side at a time.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America