Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Poultry and Livestock: Heat !

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 14, Views: 85
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

July 7, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8679053

This heat is really stressing the chickens here, and even my cat is looking bad. The cat is 16 years old. Think I'll start bringing her in during the afternoon hours. Remember when Tammy Faye Bakker air conditioned her dog house? She took a lot of flack for that. I can appreciate her sentiment now, though at the time I could not.

We are having record heat, and 80% of Texas is still under extreme drought and fire alert. We've had a few rains, but not enough. The animals are suffering.

Seems the heat is much worse this year, or do I just forget how hot summer is from year to year? Soon it will be winter and we will talk about the cold again. Oh well, life is going on.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 7, 2011
7:02 PM

Post #8679292

LOL I hear ya.. I don't like how our seasons are changing. The other day when it was 101 the humidity was 80% that is UNHEARD of here! We usually have like 20% humidity at most. Oh well, if it wern't for the weather, we'd have to find something else to complain about. LOL

My chickens are having to learn to cope on their own this year. I can't run the misters or water it down like I always have. They are doing much better now, but the first few days they looked pretty ragged..

Hope you guyz get some good weather LFJ. :)
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

July 7, 2011
7:36 PM

Post #8679370

Wow ZZ you got a taste of our weather April through October, lol.

I heard a report a year or two ago on one of those morning programs, they were reporting on hot weather and how if it got above a certain percentage humidity (something like 70%) and the temps were in the upper 80's or 90's that you should stay indoors and not go out and exert yourself, yadda yadda yadda. I had to laugh, if we would not do anything when humidity is above 70% and temps above 90 we would not be doing anything outside all summer and part of what is suppose to be spring and fall. That is the norm around here.

We have a chance for rain this weekend. Hopefully it will happen. I saw something earlier I have never seen. We heard a helicopter and my son went out and looked and said it was one with a water bucket hanging on it. A while later we heard it again so I went out and looked and saw it going the other way. There are several wildfires across TX and one is just to the south east of us. I guess that is where they were headed.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 7, 2011
8:14 PM

Post #8679439

I can't handle the heat anymore.. I worked outside virtually all my life. It seems the older I get the less I can handle it. I'm okay till it gets over like 97.. We have quite a few days a year over 100 and they are brutal.. Even with the low humidity, it is just really intense.. especially in the sun.. I don't know how I did it working in it!!

I can't say we never get rain in the summer.. LOL We did this year! But normally, we won't get any rain till around October.

I sure hope you get some soon.. I know it's so desperately needed.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 7, 2011
8:37 PM

Post #8679477

The best description I heard of our weather was early one morning on the radio. The reporter said going outside was like walking into a dog's mouth!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2011
12:52 AM

Post #8679669

same here to. Was in paper today we are in extreme drought. Hope it doesn't last 2 yrs like it did after Katrina. Pascagoula River is near a record low. Everyday I hear thunder near or far from me, get dark awesome cold winds pick up but no rain. Not a drop. Guy 2 miles up the road from us said it rained at his house for almost 3 hrs yesterday which I don't believe because they are moving through to fast. At least it brought the temps down some temporarily.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2011
5:09 AM

Post #8679793

I thank Heavens everyday that I have an air conditioned office to work in! Our temps here in middle Georgia have been running in the high 90's and lower 100's everyday now for a month or more. Our humidity is off the scale and its seems somedays that you will drown just trying to breath.
I have had two hens setting but Im afraid that they are going to have nothing but duds, since the temps are well over the Correct hatching temperatures needed . I should know this week. My Lavender Splash Cochin and my BCMaran decided to take on the chore with assorted gifts from their sisters, so if anything hatches it will be potluck...LOL!
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

July 8, 2011
11:08 AM

Post #8680407

Donna maybe he is delirious from the heat and lack of rain and it seemed like 3 hours. lol

ZZ my husband works outside most the time, he says the older he gets the harder it is. He is originally from Missouri so the Texas heat for 9 out of 12 months isn't easy.

Porkpal that is grouse but about right sometimes.

Eufaula you may be surprised, even with hot temps and under a hen babies hatch. I noticed our hen would not sit totally on her eggs, she would roll them out in front of her sometimes, guess to cool them down some. And, they did hatch.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 8, 2011
11:15 AM

Post #8680422

Clever girls those broody hens!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2011
2:40 PM

Post #8680732

Smedgekles my hubbie is from Michigan. He says this heat is kicking his butt too.

Yep mine are doing it too or will also just stand/crouch over the eggs with their wings out at a angle. I think that may be them trying to cool them selves down and not get off the nest completely
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

July 8, 2011
11:00 PM

Post #8681440

Sounds like you are all having a rough time of it too, and your animals. We will have two more months of this.

Poor chickens, some of mine are broody and staying in that hot box. Can't talk them out of it.

Guess you are hearing the same stories I am, that the government has some sort of weather machine from Tesla technology they are using. Wouldn't really surprise me to know. HAARP they call it.

Yesterday there was a video about a massive fish die off in the Oklahoma Red River. BIG catfish and many smaller fish too. Has the people there very concerned. Men in their seventies saying they have never seen anything like it before and they've lived there all their lives. Makes you wonder.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 23, 2011
7:40 PM

Post #8711488

well be got a good rain of 1" hard and put a tiny bit of water in the pond. The ducks are happy to have a place to dabble in. Some places got 4 to 6". We got 1/2" light rain today and has rained several days last weekend light slow rain which the ground really needed. They lifted the burn ban and hubbie burned the 3 piles of yard debris today. Hope the rain continues. Sure makes the temps cooler
porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 23, 2011
9:06 PM

Post #8711684

I'm happy for you! I hope it is headed our way.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8767568

This is the worst summer I've ever experienced I guess. The animals have really suffered! We've had some rain the last few weeks, but then the temps soared again this week up over 100 degrees. We've had record high temps. Most of July was over 100 each day.

Hay has gone up to $11.50 a square bale, as they had to bring it up here from Houston. Normally it is $7.50 to $8.50.

I'll be so glad to see autumn. Normally I don't want to see winter coming. This year I'm looking forward to it.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2011
7:20 PM

Post #8767574

I wanted to try and breed some chickens this year after it cooled off. Now, I'm not sure I'm that brave.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America