Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Plant Identification: SOLVED: What has these heart shaped leaves?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 14, Views: 96
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JenDigs
Winslow Township, NJ

July 7, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8679323

I need help identifying this plant/possible tree. It popped up this spring in my flower bed in front of azaleas. The area gets late afternoon sun. I thought I'd be able to figure out what it is by now, but I'm having no luck and it's growing FAST! It's already almost 4 feet tall and it's growing from a single stem which is becoming pretty woody at the base. The leaves are heart shaped and have kind of rounded teeth along the edges. Any ideas of what it is? If it's a desirable plant, I'd like to move it and, if it's not, then I want it out of there right away! Thanks for your help...

Thumbnail by JenDigs
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Fruticosa
Midway City, CA

July 7, 2011
7:19 PM

Post #8679337

Paulownia tomentosa?
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 7, 2011
7:25 PM

Post #8679350

If it is...run!!!!

Tie it to a truck and hit the gas!
victorengel
Austin, TX

July 7, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8679361

If it's P. tomentosa, the leaves will be hairy and the hairs barely exuding a sticky sap. This renders the leaves slightly sticky to the touch, and gnats stick to it. This has caused some people to suspect the plants are carnivorous. I think that's a huge leap, since they grow way too fast to get any significant nourishment from stuck bugs.

My P. tomentosa grew over 20 feet the year after I cut it down to the ground. The largest leaf was about 3 feet across. The previous year, the largest leaf was only about 2 feet across.

It's a weird plant. If you want it to grow taller, the fastest way to achieve that is to cut id down to the ground. Also, if you sever a root, there's a good chance a plant will grow from the severed root.
JenDigs
Winslow Township, NJ

July 7, 2011
7:34 PM

Post #8679367

Thank you for your quick response! However, I don't think it is Paulownia tomentosa. Mine has some teeth along the edges of the leaves. The shape of the leaves does seem similar though. Here's another pic which shows a little more detail of the leaves.

On a side note, were you able to enlarge my pic? I am new to posting to DG and it doesn't look like my pic could be clicked to enlarge. Did I do something wrong? Thanks so much for your help...

Thumbnail by JenDigs

TomH3787
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2011
8:05 PM

Post #8679418

From what I can see in the tiny pics, it's definitely not Paulownia tomentosa - leaves are much too small. Nor does it look like mulberry / Morus for the same reason. Perhaps it's hackberry (Celtis spp)? Can you please post a much larger image that shows more detail? Postage-stamp-sized images are not very useful.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

July 7, 2011
8:16 PM

Post #8679443

Looks like alternate leaf arrangement - could not be Paulownia tomentosa if that is correct.

Agree with Tom - post larger images.
JenDigs
Winslow Township, NJ

July 7, 2011
8:35 PM

Post #8679473

Thanks so much for your replies. I was afraid that the images wouldn't enlarge. I'm trying again, but just in case it doesn't work: dumb question, I'm sure, but HOW do I post a larger picture? I've been trying to look that up since my initial post! Ugh!

Thumbnail by JenDigs

JenDigs
Winslow Township, NJ

July 7, 2011
8:37 PM

Post #8679478

Ha ha! Success with enlarging the picture! Here's one more which shows the leaf up close. The flower in the background is from the nearby hosta. I haven't seen any flowers or seeds or anything else on this plant yet.

Thanks so much!

Thumbnail by JenDigs

dybbuk

dybbuk
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2011
8:39 PM

Post #8679483

I'm going with some type of Morus, Mulberry.
ogon
Paradise, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2011
8:49 PM

Post #8679499

The leaves really look like a Mulberry to me. Morus leaves also grow in alternate arrangement, and the young trees grow pretty quickly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morus_(plant)
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/b/Moraceae/Morus/none/cultivar/0/

*Edited to correct to "alternate leaf arrangement"

This message was edited Jul 8, 2011 7:25 AM
victorengel
Austin, TX

July 8, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8680023

I agree with mulberry. One of the pictures shows a leaf that has an extra lobe. That's typical of mulberry. They frequently have leaves having disparate lobation (I think that's a word).

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2011
7:33 AM

Post #8680026

The common species of the genus Morus, especially Morus alba which is what this plant appears to be, are alternately arranged.

While there may be some Mulberry species in the world that has opposite arrangement (I don't know any that are grown in the eastern US), it is not likely that those would be found in a residential property in NJ.
ogon
Paradise, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2011
8:22 AM

Post #8680123

I meant to say "alternate" in my post, not opposite. The leaves on the plant in question are also alternate, like a Morus.
JenDigs
Winslow Township, NJ

July 11, 2011
6:44 AM

Post #8685540

Thank you so much for all of your help! I will assume then that this is a mulberry and now must decide whether to transplant it and keep it for the birds or dispose of it!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 21 Oct 14, 2014 11:43 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America