Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Pacific Northwest Gardening: Garlic

Communities > Forums > Pacific Northwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Pacific Northwest GardeningReplies: 11, Views: 96
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gwendalou
Langley, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2011
7:30 AM

Post #8680021

Has anyone started harvesting? I haven't even looked at mine in months!
mauryhillfarm
Vashon, WA
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8707153

Hi Gwen,
Somehow I missed this thread earlier in the month. I just finished harvesting my later maturing varieties today. I harvested a mid-season variety a little more than a week ago. This is all about 2 weeks later than usual or even a little more. Everything took longer to mature with the extended cold, wetweather this year. The leaves were still pretty green when I decided to start pulling, but the bulbs were definitely done growing.
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2011
12:37 AM

Post #8707819

Just finished pulling and washing mine. It is all stored on cost co storage units. It is drying nicely thanks to an energetic South wind. I got smart and gave away about 30 pounds green as grass let the recipients dry it lol. They don't mind and it makes my job easier.

What kind of garden do you have that you don't have to look at your produce and monitor and steer it's growth?

Here is the last of mine waiting to be picked up. It is being protected by the famous attack dog 007 Sweet Jenny lol she is a sweet heart.

Thumbnail by eweed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gwendalou
Langley, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2011
2:06 PM

Post #8709071

A very untidy one, that's what kind!

Guess I'll mosy out there today and take a look.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2011
4:38 PM

Post #8713020

My scapes just curled! Surely the coast is just way behind you guys & I shouldn't be harvesting already?

(Probably like Gwen, mine is scattered here & there among other vegetable beds.)
Gwendalou
Langley, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2011
4:46 PM

Post #8713032

Summer, are you cutting off your scapes? I forgot to do that this year. :( I hear they're great in stir frys.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2011
5:59 PM

Post #8713127

Oh yes. I thought it was necessary for the growth of the bulb, but either way, yeah, they cut up just like super-size chives ... and are really pretty to boot.
ladybuggfan
Carnation, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 28, 2011
5:02 PM

Post #8721721

we just finished harvesting 6 kinds, they are drying now. one more to harvest, next week. Been a cold, wet season. ordered some new types to try next season in addition to the ones we like from this year.
Gwendalou
Langley, WA
(Zone 7b)

August 4, 2011
9:28 PM

Post #8737850

Finally got off my butt and went out and harvested the garlic tonight. Success! My best crop yet, despite never once even going to look at it after I planted it last fall!

The hardnecks are all too small. I didn't cut the scapes off, so this was to be expected. But the softnecks, some of them are HUGE. Most are overly ripe since I waited so long to harvest and the cloves are separating from the heads. Will this make a difference in either storage or in using them as seed garlic for this coming fall's planting?

One of the softnecks is still very closed up and is huge. If I can use the other large cloves for planting, I'm going to roast this one because it just is huge and perfect.

I ordered my garlic for planting this year from Keene Organics. This is what I ordered:
2 siimoneti artichoke soft
2 silverwhite silverskin softneck
2 barvarian rocombole
1 brown tempest marbled purple strike hardneck
2 german extra porcelain hardneck
2 italian late softneck
1 leningrad porcelain hardneck
1 purple grazer hardneck
2 red janice softneck

I just pulled them all up in a pile and didn't bother to keep track. But it seemed like all the softnecks were a decent size, much better than anything I've grown in the past. This is the first time anything was even big enough to keep and replant.

Overall, very happy!
mauryhillfarm
Vashon, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2011
8:19 AM

Post #8744037

Gwen, its great to hear you were successful with your garlic this year. Hooray for a good harvest! You can plant the large cloves from your bulbs that have begun to separate. Be aware that by doing this, you may be selecting for garlic that matures slightly earlier than if you plant cloves from bulbs that are still fully closed. So don't wait too long to harvest your garlic the following year. The fully closed garlic stores better, so I would be inclined to save those and eat the others first, but if you get enjoyment from roasting and eating your huge, perfect garlic bulbs, satisfaction from the harvest is really what this is all about. So, go for it!

On your garlic planting list, is the number indicative of one bulb or one pound? If it is pounds, WOW, that is going to be a lot of garlic and you could go into business. Warning: I did this for 4 years, about 800 plants each year, and it took over my life in the Summer with harvesting, cleaning, drying, selling. It was fun going to the farmer's market and meeting people, but it began to take away my simple enjoyment of growing the garlic for my own family and friends. People began trying to pay me when I gave them a gift. This year I grew 100 plants and that's about right for my purposes. Wouldn't you know, I had 2 people (local farmers) call me this year asking if I was selling garlic because they needed more for their CSA clients. I don't really want to go into production again, and a thank you for a garlic gift is so much more satisfying than a $50 check, so I turned them down.
Gwendalou
Langley, WA
(Zone 7b)

August 8, 2011
2:39 PM

Post #8744888

I don't remember what the numbers meant but I think I had about 90 to 100 cloves. It was very manageable. (Not all grew, but most of them did I think. I'll have to count.) 800 plants? Wowser! That I could not handle.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

August 9, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8747465

Maury, I am still sorting out what & where I want to be next year but am considering going back into the farmers' market/co-op business. At the markets around here no one is selling the things I'm expert at (sprouts/mushrooms/garlic/honey) & I'm itching to get back into large-scale edible gardening. Jumping through the hoops of licenses & applications, well not really.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Pacific Northwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cannas and Agapanthus in the PNW? SalemSunshine 14 Mar 1, 2011 10:08 PM
Tomatoes - when to transplant? Leehallfae 17 May 5, 2014 8:08 PM
Anyone want some fish? Pixydish 33 May 27, 2009 5:38 AM
Does bamboo grow in Spokane? Adriaan 24 Oct 30, 2007 5:38 AM
only one bloom on my rhododendron this year JoieM 27 Jul 11, 2007 3:51 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America