Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Soap and Candle-making: First Time Candle Making

Communities > Forums > Soap and Candle-making
bookmark
Forum: Soap and Candle-makingReplies: 4, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gigjain
Cambrian Park, CA

July 8, 2011
1:35 PM

Post #8680597

Any Tips or Advice? I don't want to mess any thing up and I am already tight on a budget. What should I do or not to to ensure success.

Thanks!
winterrobin
South Dennis, NJ
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2011
9:35 AM

Post #8718495

gig, I know what you ,mean. Nothing will eat through your budget faster than experiment after experiment, test after test, different wax types, different size wicks, etc, etc,

What kinds of candles are you making? I don't know anything about making paraffin candles. If you are using soy, I would be more than happy to share the results of my year-and-a-half long tedious, costly, time consuming, and sometines frustrating candlemaking.
gregbaker
Newark, NJ

November 4, 2011
12:32 PM

Post #8876432

i am in the process of candle making myself. any tips would be greatly appreciated
sjbubb54
New Berlin, PA

November 26, 2011
5:07 AM

Post #8906137

I am the owner of papascandleshoppe.com and I started in this business just like you with a lot of questions and not to many answers. If you are on a tight budget then I would advise that you go on line where you can buy some soy wax there are places you can get 5 to 10 lbs I would use G444 it is a nice one for containers. If you are using a jelly jar container then I would use a #51 wick also buy some nice fragrance that you can add to the wax about 1.5 - 2 oz per lb. heat the wax in a double boiler up to 190 degrees add your fragrance stir for about 2 min then let it cool to about 105 degrees and pour into jelly jars that have your wick in them you can use a small drop from a hot glue gun to hold into place. center your wicks and let cool. you must let the candle season for about 5 days to let the fragrance saturate the wax. then burn and enjoy.
Papa - Check us out.

Thumbnail by sjbubb54
Click the image for an enlarged view.

susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9141905

just wondering how papascandleshoppe is going... i also have interest in this but no skill

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Soap and Candle-making Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 14 Aug 21, 2007 9:24 AM
I got wax and empty pop bottles for christmas veeja3 10 Jun 1, 2010 7:56 PM
Who are the soapmakers??? gingerlily 73 Nov 12, 2007 1:05 AM
New at making soap Patty08 62 Dec 19, 2007 2:35 PM
Hello, new candlemaker to this forum... waxedout 11 Aug 10, 2014 8:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America