Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Vegetable Gardening: Hardy PLASTIC TRAYS to start my seedlings, any suggestion?

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 96, Views: 847
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2011
11:23 AM

Post #8682213

I need a good and cheap source for hardy plant trays to start my seedlings.
I have use the regular 1020 plants trays and they keep cracking ... making the water going all over.
I have found those trays below and I wonder if anybody has tried them (I'd like to know before I will buy a bunch)

http://indoorgardensupplies.com/permanest-plant-tray-11x22x2...

Perma-Nest Plant Tray Tan 11x22x2.5

Rugged polystyrene
Will last for years
Hot and cold sterilized
Holds a seed flat, or cell insert
Dimensions: 11" x 22" x 2 1/2"

Thumbnail by drthor
Click the image for an enlarged view.

hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 12, 2011
7:07 AM

Post #8687730

I use the large-sized aluminum trays, the kind caterers use, from Sam's. Very inexpensive, I think that there were 20 trays in the package for about $8. They are a little flimsy when filled with seed pots so you have to have one hand underneath them when you pick them up or move them.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 12, 2011
7:13 AM

Post #8687741

Thanks hrp50. I am looking for something heavy.
When I use the 5" pots I need support on the bottom.
I will wait a little bit more to see if somebody will answer this thread.
I have also posted in the SEED GERMINATION forum, but no answer there either.
KirkH
Austin, TX

July 12, 2011
8:32 AM

Post #8687900

I am trying a Boot Tray that I purchased from The Container Store. It cost about $6.50 or so.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10007173&N=&Ntt=Boot+tray
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2011
9:00 AM

Post #8687944

Check out wallpaper trays(used to hold water for soaking )- They are very sturdy.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 12, 2011
9:39 AM

Post #8688003

I need about 21" x 11", so I could fit 4 trays on my shelf.
I will check those wallpaper trays. Thanks
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2011
12:01 PM

Post #8688355

My Lowe's will give you empty growers flats- I save the ones with 4" square cavities. I use them to hold pots of seedlings- they have them in all sizes- and free!!!
p1mkw
Danville, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2011
2:00 PM

Post #8688564

drthor, yes, I have used the perma-nest trays for a few years now and I love them. And it looks like you've found the cheapest prices on them. That's where I buy mine from. They aren't indestructible, but with a little care and caution (don't pick one up with just one hand on the end ... too much stress on the middle), they'll last a long time.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 12, 2011
2:21 PM

Post #8688606

yeeeaaahhhh ... thanks p1mkw, that is what I wanted to hear.
I will place an order then.
Sincerely

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 13, 2011
6:43 AM

Post #8689723

Just finding this thread, but I've started using cat liter trays from our local $1 store. They're $1.09. VERY STURDY, although I can only get twelve 16 oz. red solo cups per tray, vs. the fifteen I can put into a standard FLIMSY, CRACK-WHEN-YOU-CARRY-IT, seedling tray. But, I can carry 12 filled cups with one hand, and CONFIDENCE it won't crack on me!

I can fit three trays side x side under a 48" fluorescent light kit.

Linda

This message was edited Jul 13, 2011 8:44 AM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 13, 2011
7:11 AM

Post #8689765

Lookin' good Linda!
VitaVeggieMan
Clifton, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2011
7:33 AM

Post #8689790

drthor, I second the recommendation for Permanest trays. They aren't cheap, but they are very sturdy and come in a variety of sizes and colors.

For some reason, the link you provided above is not working for me, so I can't tell what price you got.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2011
7:51 AM

Post #8689821

here is the link again.
Your are right the first link is not working anymore.

http://indoorgardensupplies.com/permanest-plant-tray-11x22x25-p-686.html
VitaVeggieMan
Clifton, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2011
1:23 PM

Post #8690404

Yep, those are good prices - the cheapest I've seen.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8698565

I've been thinking about buying a 4'x8' sheet of wooden paneling and cutting 16 tray-sized supports out of it. I only need 4 or 6 so I could double them up for stiffness.

Corey

2gardenkate

2gardenkate
Crofton, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2011
11:31 AM

Post #8699768

I just found this thread. I have those polystyrene trays. Got them from IGS but I bought the light green ones.

Thumbnail by 2gardenkate

2gardenkate

2gardenkate
Crofton, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2011
11:34 AM

Post #8699775

I have several sizes: 8x12x2.5" , 4x8x2.5" and the large 11x22x2.5".

Thumbnail by 2gardenkate

2gardenkate

2gardenkate
Crofton, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2011
11:37 AM

Post #8699783

I like the 8x12x2.5 they work for just about everything I germinate.

Thumbnail by 2gardenkate

2gardenkate

2gardenkate
Crofton, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2011
11:43 AM

Post #8699789

I've only found one problem. Since I don't have a potting shed (or much garden space) I have left the trays sitting in the sun before I got to washing them. The plastic got a bit brittle and the edges have broken on a few of them and some have gotten discolored.

Thumbnail by 2gardenkate

weasel71
Lombard, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 18, 2011
11:54 AM

Post #8699820

I use boot trays as well- they are very sturdy and can be purchased for $4-7 each. I also use kitty litter boxes, never used of course. Sometime, somewhere, sombody gave me ten brand new boxes and I've used them in the garden countless times- as drip trays, for garden debris, to haul stones, to store compost, just tons of uses.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2011
5:36 PM

Post #8700517

I love the kitty litter box idea. Some friends just gave me two great trays they no longer need (due to moving to a retirement home) which look like the Permarest 8x12x2.5". They are very sturdy and were a welcome gift just one day after reading this thread!! But I plan to start checking out the local Dollar stores as well!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2011
5:45 PM

Post #8700548

One thing that keeps tripping me up is that my web-bottom trays are smaller than my 1020 trays. I guess that's so the web trays fit INSIDE the 1020s so you can do things like bottom-water by dipping a web tray into a solid-bottom 1020.

But I have dozens of square 3-3.5" pots that fit perfectly into a 1020 tray - 3x6, I think, with no wasted space..
But only 2 of those 3" pots fit accross a web tray, so 30% of the space is wasted.
I can use 1/3 Dixie cups to take up the wasted space, but that's inconvenient and they fall over as soon as there's any empty spot in a tray.

The only solutioon I've thought of is to buy a bunch more 1020 trays with slit bottoms, and re-inforce those flimsy trays with plywood or woodpaneling ... but then what function are the trays serving? Would it be looney to make heavy, rottable wooden trays to hold plastic pots, re-inventing the "flat"?

Corey
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 18, 2011
7:24 PM

Post #8700744

You don't want a flat that bends in your hands if the load is too heavy. Something sturdier would be better. You should be able to pick it up one handed when you want to lift or move the 'flat'...and your other hand is occupied.

I hit Target today and picked up 3 'serving trays' for two bucks each. They are small'ish, 6"x10" maybe. My grow rooms are the two back bedrooms and negotiating a standard doorway with furniture in the way while carrying a large tray is...fraught with troubles for me. :-) It sounds like I am operating on a much smaller scale than what you are doing sa well. Good luck with it all, it's often just trial and error...and then the weather factors in.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2011
6:00 AM

Post #8701258

I have been using and reusing wallpaper trays for the past several years. Sometimes I plant in them directly, but mostly I use them to hold the 3oz plastic Solo cups I start seeds in. The ones I have will hold 28 little cups.

I also save anything produce comes in - such as mushrooms. They are great for starting seeds in, too.

This photo of tomato seedlings was taken April 13th 2011 .

Thumbnail by HoneybeeNC

MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 19, 2011
6:24 AM

Post #8701297

Honey...I've used those before too and they are great. Looking good there!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 19, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8702622

I'm not big-scale, I just collect gadgets and try to buy or scrounge economical sizes (meaning, more than I'll use up in the next 5 years).

My largest seed-starting adveture was this year: 4 trays at once, which meant that some of them didn't get much light at the edges.

It would be smarter to have a cold frame / hoop tunnel to move started trays out to ... one of these years!

But I'm already reaching the state of enthusiasm that many have reported:

"I've started all these seeds, now WHERE am I gonna plant them all?!?"

Corey

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2011
8:09 AM

Post #8708351

The Perma trays arrived and I am very very HAPPY with those trays. Exact what I was looking for.
Strong and very strong. Impossible to break them ... maybe if I jump on top of them ... but I will not.
I am thrilled
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2011
11:59 AM

Post #8710853

Drthor, They do have a tendency to be brittle after taking them outside in the sun to harden off your plants. Just so you are aware.
TLeaves
Ramona, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #8950767

drthor, If you don't mind, which size trays did you end up purchasing? Looks like you were leaning toward the 11x22...? Are you still happy with them?

I like the idea of 4 trays per shelf, and having only 1 row of trays (with none back behind others), but then again, the 8x12s might hold 4 inch pots better.

Thumbnail by TLeaves

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 2, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #8951203

I bought the 11x22" and I am able to have a row of four in each shelf.
I absolutely love them. They are very strong.
You can fit 18 four inches pots or even 21 if you squeeze them ...
Definetly the best investiment on trays I have ever done.
rjogden
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 3, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #8952568

[quote="drthor"]I need a good and cheap source for hardy plant trays to start my seedlings.
I have use the regular 1020 plants trays and they keep cracking ... making the water going all over.
I have found those trays below and I wonder if anybody has tried them (I'd like to know before I will buy a bunch)

http://indoorgardensupplies.com/permanest-plant-tray-11x22x2...

[/quote]

Park Seed sells the same Perma-Nest brand. I've had a couple I've used for years - VERY sturdy, stiff, won't fold up with weight, hold up well in sun (though I wouldn't leave them out), don't break easily (I haven't managed yet!). Mine are just big enough to nest a standard plastic tray. I would buy them again.

-Rich
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #8954238

Since the original link no longer goes to the page for the Perma-Nests I am updating that link again to Indoorgardensupplies for any new people trying to reach that site. It seems they renamed the parts numbers so that explains the problem. The page you will go to now lists different sizes as well as the 11 x 22". Not too early to be thinking about sowing seeds!! Hope this link works for all of you!

Here is the new link as of March 11, 2013. http://indoorgardensupplies.com/shop/product-category/plant-trays/

This message was edited Mar 11, 2013 10:36 AM
TLeaves
Ramona, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 24, 2013
10:14 PM

Post #9430547

[quote="drthor"]I bought the 11x22" and I am able to have a row of four in each shelf.
I absolutely love them. They are very strong.
You can fit 18 four inches pots or even 21 if you squeeze them ...[/quote]

I'm trying to find some good pots for my permanest trays. While the outside dimension of the permanest tray is 11x22, the INSIDE dimensions are 9.5" x 20" at the bottom and then the tray tapers up to about 10 x 20.5 at the top. Do 4" pots really fit? Are they round or square?
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2013
4:49 AM

Post #9430646

I would like to find permanest trays that fit my shelves with lights better. I believe that the shelves are 48" long x 19" wide. I have several of the 11'' x 22'' trays and with 48" long shelves I can place two trays end to end that fill most of the shelf. The problem is that at 11" wide there is a lot of shelf space being wasted since the shelf isn't wide enough to place two trays side by side lenghtwise. I went looking online one day for trays that are approximately 19" x 22" but I couldn't anything in that range. Has anyone seen trays that are that size?

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2013
5:33 AM

Post #9430696

TLeaves
on my permanest trays I use regular 4" pots. I can fit 18 or 21 pots (if I squeeze a little).
I never bought those pots. I have millions in my garage saved from my annuals.

hrp50,
look at the pictures below.
Yes you can fit 4 permanest trays on your shelf. You just need to overlap them a little bit. Can you see in the close-up? you see one tray on top of the other.
You will just need to get used at the beginning to slide the trays in and out if you need (and not lift them).
You always are so funny ... always looking for the hardest solution ... giggle ...

Those trays are just amazing.

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2013
7:27 AM

Post #9430860

drthor
I got it and I will try it. I guess I'm too much of a perfectionist and like things to fit together without an overlap. Don't you agree that a 22" x 19" tray would be a perfect size if they came in that size. It would also give you more square inches of tray space. 1,672 square inches (19" x 22" x 4) vs 968 square inches (11"x 22"x 4). I can't even calculate how many additional 4" peat pots that would equate to. Maybe 1,67- 968=704/16 sq " per peat pot=44 additional peat pots. That sounds high so I need someone to double check my calculations since I was a CPA for thirty-five years but I wasn't good with numbers, at least near the end. :) But the fact remains that the trays aren't available in that size that I can find.

This message was edited Feb 25, 2013 9:29 AM

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2013
8:31 AM

Post #9430955

I agree. I'd love to have those trays to fit perfectly ... but I could leave with overlaps.
I did do a lot of searches before buying these trays and nothing smaller was available.
I do really like them anyway!

Update this thread if you will find anything else.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 25, 2013
12:24 PM

Post #9431250

This message was edited Feb 25, 2013 3:46 PM

This message was edited Feb 25, 2013 4:12 PM

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 7:29 AM

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 10:28 AM
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2013
4:38 PM

Post #9431574

DavidofDeLand

I really don't understand what you’re trying to say about my question regarding the permanest trays. I was seriously curious about why companies don't make the trays in the size that I think would best utilize the space on our 48" shelves which I know many of us use and 11" wide is pretty standard for a shelf width. Of course if I find them in the size I'm looking for I will share that with other DGer's on this thread. That's the point of belonging to a web site like this one where you share your experience and information with like-minded gardeners. And you are right that I’m a very persistent person (my wife even referred to my persistent pursuit of her to marry me in her wedding vows to me 26 years ago) as well as having OCB and being ADHD, and yes I will find a solution to what I consider a “tray size dilemma” at some point. I mean 116 - 4” peat pots per shelf vs. 72 peat pots per shelf, why wouldn’t I? Yes, I planted my tomato seeds on 1/1, 1/4 & 5 and potted up some but not all of them on 1/23/13 but haven’t had a chance to plant them out yet due to my recent surgery and doctor’s requirement to being non-weight bearing on my left foot. Yes, I’m pleased with the 16oz clear plastic cups (but not Dixie cups) I used for potting up my tomato seedlings and will post a picture soon showing how you can see a cup full of hyphae attached to the roots from using the mycorrhizae fungi. However, I’m thinking about upgrading my trays right now because I wanted to find a solution at the same time I’m planning for my seed starting needs and upgrades for next year and I still have some other seeds to plant for this season. Yes, I’m very passionate about gardening now that I self-forced myself to retire from the CPA business two years ago and wish I had paused long enough during my 35 year career as a CPA to smell the flowers so to speak and not spent so many hours at the office. I feel that I have so much to learn and wish I had started my gardening career sooner. Finally, I have no idea what a “Skinny Linda” is but I would love to hear your or someone else’s explanation.

Sincere thanks for your input, David.

This message was edited Feb 25, 2013 8:23 PM
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2013
5:56 PM

Post #9431664

I have often wonder why the garden essentials don't really work together..it doesn't make sense. I use the 1020 trays but they are flimsy I just buy new ones. Cat litter boxes work well and are sturdy but they don't fit perfectly either. For pots I use 2.5 or 3.25 so it's impossible to make trays that fit the different size pots.

What are wedding vowels? Maybe if I'd done those it would have lasted...

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2013
6:01 PM

Post #9431667

I agree that most 1020 trays are super-flimsy, but for a while, I had more with drainage slots than I needed. So I doubled them up to make them sturdier.

But recently I bought a a sheet of plywood for another reason, and had them cut the remains into 6 pieces 12"x24". I plan to use those under the trays, as supports.

Get this. The plywood is 3/4" thick and would hold 200-300 pounds. Over-over-kill!

I think a sheet of wood paneling would be strong enoguh to keep the 1020 trays from buckling.
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2013
6:21 PM

Post #9431685

1lisac,
Thank you for giving me a good laugh even though it was at my own expense, but I don't mind. Of course I meant wedding vows, not wedding vowels, and yes maybe you should have tried them.

Now, can you explain to me what a "Skinny Linda" is?
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2013
6:52 PM

Post #9431715

I'm not sure what that is but I'm sure you have a dmail. Strange when your computer doesn't trust you to express your own thoughts, so it must correct you. Lol
TLeaves
Ramona, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 25, 2013
8:10 PM

Post #9431846

Thanks drthor. Your 4 inch pots certainly do fit better than mine. I guess I need to find different sized 4 inch pots. *smile*
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2013
5:13 PM

Post #9434045

I use the standard (flimsy) ~11x22 plant trays, but I double them up. Every year I get a few trays that develop cracks or a leaky hole. I put those aside and use them underneath a good leakproof tray to reinforce them. It still takes two hands to transport them but they are less likelier to bend or twist. The lattice bottom trays used by plant suppliers to ship 6paks or small plants also work well to reinforce the regular trays.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 28, 2013
8:44 PM

Post #9435092

Never heard of a Skinny Linda- but a skinny mini is a stacked washer/dryer... unless we are mixing English and Spanish, then skinny Linda would be thin beauty???
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2013
5:33 AM

Post #9435221

I still don't know for sure and I'm still interested in getting to the bottom of the meaning of "skinny Llinda", but I have my suspension. Something like we say here in Texas when someone brags about having or doing something and there's nothing to back it up, we say he/she is "all hat and no cattle".

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 1, 2013
8:15 AM

Post #9435395

Or got too many irons in the fire, chuckl. Most commercial growers dont work with 48" shelves. They lay out long tables with lites, and timed misters that stretch across the room they are in...in long rows.
nancynursez637
Madras, OR

March 11, 2013
5:41 AM

Post #9445507

This message was edited Mar 11, 2013 5:45 AM
nancynursez637
Madras, OR

March 11, 2013
5:42 AM

Post #9445509

Plant trays at the Greenhouse Megastore

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/1020-tray-shallow-white/flats-trays-inserts

I use the trays to hold soil blocks for vegetables to be transplanted into the garden later.

This message was edited Mar 11, 2013 5:47 AM

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2013
6:43 AM

Post #9445575

I used a lot of the 1020 trays at the beginning of my gardening indoor. They just kept breaking while I moved them in and out the shelfs, or in and out the house to harden off vegetables.
I have a lot of broken ones in the garage if you would like some ...
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2013
6:49 AM

Post #9445587

nancynursez637,
You may have helped me find a tray that is close to the size I'm looking for, This one is about 22" wide x 41" long which would fit my shelf , which is 19" x 48". It would take up most of the shelf leaving a 3" hangover width wise and length wise I would have 7" unused space that I would have to figure out how to utilize. The tray even has sides that are rather high at 5 1/2 " but that would hold up the 16 oz. cups I use in potting up tomato seedlings. I just can't tell how sturdy they are without holding one in my hands so I think I will order one to see..

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/titan-garden-tray/flats-trays-inserts

This message was edited Mar 11, 2013 7:52 AM
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2013
8:03 AM

Post #9445684

The reviews at the Greenhousemegastore indicate the trays are strong. That is a great find, hrp50. I love that store anyway but hadn't seen that tray.
Above I updated the link to the Perma-nest trays at Indoor Garden Supplies but will provide it again here in case newcomers to the site don't want to go through all of it. I find it annoying that I have to update this link each year for the same product but at least it is available. The price for the 11 x 22 seems to be for 2 trays.
http://indoorgardensupplies.com/shop/product-category/plant-trays/
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2013
8:38 AM

Post #9445751

I get trays at the Dollar Store that are sold as "boot trays"- 12.5x22"-1"walls. They are perfect for a tray or 6 6packs. Quite sturdy.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2013
8:40 AM

Post #9445753

gardore
you if scroll up to the first post on this thread ... you will see that I was looking for an alternative to the 1020 trays because they were too thin ...
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2013
8:57 AM

Post #9445778

drthor! That's what I thought you wanted! These are the same robust Perma-nest trays you linked to in the first post, not the flimsy regular 11 x 22's (1020'sI
I just updated the original links as they seem to change each year! I have these Perma-nest trays and find them fantastic. You should not be disappointed with them. Other viable alternatives such as the boot trays and the ones from the Megastore also look promising.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2013
9:57 AM

Post #9445834

>> The price for the 11 x 22 seems to be for 2 trays.

Thanks for pointing that out! I used to dismiss them casually, rthinking $17 is WAY too much for a tray.

>> trays at the Dollar Store that are sold as "boot trays"

Thanks very much, I'll look for those and try them. Keeping a support board under each tray is a little clumsy and heavy.
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2013
10:30 AM

Post #9445865

Currently I'm using kitty liter trays from Petco (the flat bottom ones, not slanted bottoms) which are very sturdy but cost about 9$ each. They each hold 16 my 16 oz. plastic cups. I don't have the measurements but they are about 4 to 5 inches high and I can get three of them on a shelf.

This message was edited Mar 11, 2013 11:32 AM

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2013
12:18 PM

Post #9445965

gardadore sorry ... I didn't understand you.
I got together with a friend and I bough 12 Perma-nest trays and she bought more too ... so I spent about $5/tray.
I spent more money on those 1020 trays and they are garbage now.
I luv Permanest trays.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2013
6:21 PM

Post #9446362

Rick, I thought also that $17 was excessive for one tray, especially when the other sizes were single digit prices. So I looked a little closer and was happy to see it was for 2 trays!!

I'm glad we got on the same wavelength drthor and you were able to get the trays you wanted!!

I am also going to seriously investigate the kitty litter trays as I like the high sides. Petco seems to have what I am looking for.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2013
7:17 PM

Post #9446413

I want my "inserts" to sit on the bottom of the tray, or on a caoilary mat on the bottom of the tray.

If a 1020 tray is too deep (or unusually small), sometimes I have to trim off some of the in sert tray so it will not be sup;ported up off the bottom of the tray.

But I guess that some of the automated methods assume that the tray WILL be held up above the tray surface.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2013
8:45 PM

Post #9446487

Wow, I can't believe this thread is almost 2 yrs old. I thought it was started last summer. Time sure does fly.
nancynursez637
Madras, OR

March 18, 2013
10:01 PM

Post #9454293

wow I have my 1020's now almost 10 yrs old. They are breaking up a little, but for the money, I can't beat them.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2013
1:50 PM

Post #9455018

I agree if mine crack I just double them up.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2013
6:34 PM

Post #9455288

Gorilla tape is even better than duct tape.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2013
6:51 PM

Post #9455308

Not in TX! Lol

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2013
7:07 PM

Post #9455333

It melts?
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2013
7:27 PM

Post #9455374

No Duct Tape is a Tradition here. Lol

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2013
7:43 PM

Post #9455393

Wow, I couldn't live without duct tape!

It's like The Force: it has a Dark Side and a Light Side, and it binds the galaxy together.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2013
7:47 PM

Post #9455396

That's what I mean I think Tx was stuck together by Duct Tape. It's like a religion. Lol

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2013
7:50 PM

Post #9455399

NOW it makes sense to me.

"NO!!!!! Duct Tape is a Tradition here."

Then I would say that Gorilla Tape IS duct tape ... just stronger and with extra glue.
It's like duct tape on steroids.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2013
7:53 PM

Post #9455404

Sorry, I messed up the punctuation. It won't happen again. Lol

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2013
9:31 PM

Post #9456551

It was more interesting trying to figure out why an entire state would evolve a tradition of "No duct tape!"

Did you ever see the movie "Not of This Earth"?

"NO flip-flops!!!"
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2013
9:50 PM

Post #9456558

dthor, I have some Permanest trays that I have had about 5 or 6 years. Just keep them from drying out. Mean like the one person said, sitting in the sun. OR, I have found anything left in a greenhouse over the summer without any humidity, will be brittle and dry. I had a beautiful table and chair set lose the varnish finish. Disappeared. Took it right off.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2013
9:57 PM

Post #9456561

Rick, you are a nut! No I have not seen that movie, I think it was before my time. : )

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2013
11:34 PM

Post #9456583

It's awesome ... very campy ... but off topic.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2013
5:56 AM

Post #9456695

Jnette
thanks so much. I just leave the Permanest trays on the sun outide, only when I am hardening off the seedlings.
My Permanest trays are 2 years old now and they still look like new.
But I will keep in mind to not live them outside in the sun.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2013
6:09 PM

Post #9457522

I read that polyethylene irrigation tubing has carbon added "for UV protection". That explains why it's black!

I wonder if the Permanest trays would last longer if they were black?

My thin, flimsy "inserts" like six-packs get very brittle if left outdoors long, even in the cloudy PNW. I wonder if that's also UV damage? I'm going to start being more careful with them, as well as the thicker "plug trays".
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2013
10:41 PM

Post #9457747

Well isn't that nice? Sounds like we made a believer out of Rick.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2013
3:59 PM

Post #9458401

Thanks Gymgirl for your picture way up there of plants in SOLO cups! I have a bunch of solo cups somewhere...

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2013
6:04 PM

Post #9458491

If you like photos of Solo cups ...

cups
my cat Toby
and a yogurt quart with a lilly
which I THINK is this lily

Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA   Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA   Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA   Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA   

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2013
6:18 PM

Post #9458504

THanks RIcCorey! Esp for Toby- cutie pie
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2013
6:35 PM

Post #9458528

Cool pics Rick. What is the lily? Beautiful

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2013
7:29 PM

Post #9458598

Sorry, no ID!

The bulb must have been in the soil when I moved in. I don't think I saw ANYTHING there the first year or so, then I started excavating a spot filled with rock and clay.

I dug up a few small mystery bulbs. Rescued them, put them in potting soil.

I made a slightly raised bed with amended soil AND DRAINAGE in the old spot, and planted the lily back there.

The FIRST year it came up a very conventional soft pink. Nice but not remarkable.
Ever since, it came up this deep deep dark red with black spots or streaks.
I gave a (dark red) bloom to some baristas once, and one of them was almost afraid of it, it was so "dark".

Eventually it must have split underground because a shoot came up several inches away. The first year, THAT shoot was mild pink also!

Sorry, I can't find a photo of the pink stage!

Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA   Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA   Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA   Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA   Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2013
7:34 PM

Post #9458610

what an awesome lily for a lost treasure..
M'ROW Toby!! like brown tabby, esp with the bib and boots

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2013
7:58 PM

Post #9458640

Whoever was there before me also left a MAGIC square yard of heavy clay full of bulbs. They only came up one year, but it was planned so that on e kind of bulb followed another for weeks. Then the clay prevented ANY growth to n ext year.

So I put in raised walls and amended and planted more bulb s - the first tim e I had ever bought and planted bulbs.

Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA   Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA   Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA      

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2013
9:21 PM

Post #9458704

Very pretty. The lilies are gorgeous, and so is the cat. OH, BTW, did the lilac bloom, do anything, died, or is it growing?? Multiple choice. Can't go wrong there.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2013
1:28 PM

Post #9461579

Hi Jnette

One died and one is still going in a pot. Thank you for them.

The park sent someone around to c t down trees, and one fell on m y deck and crushed some pots!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2013
4:38 PM

Post #9461777

well dang nabbit grr

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2013
7:25 PM

Post #9461973

It also crushed several boards in my deck.

Probably saved me a broken leg, because those boards have been getting weaker and more rotten every year. I put a foot through them a few times, but not YET broken an ankle.

Once I fell from that deck into an azalea when it was in bloom. Oh, well, it was a very crude form of pruning and it looks OK now. It very kindly did NOT stab me in the liver, though a big, sharp branch end stuck out at me after I rolled out, saying: "DON'T do that to me AGAIN, Buddy!"
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2013
9:46 PM

Post #9462082

Well for heavens sake Rick. Did they fix the deck? What in the world were you drinking?

How long do you wait to repair stuff? When you do get a broken leg, or poked in the gut?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2013
5:35 AM

Post #9462218

Since a hired person cut the tree, I would hope you get SOMETHING for the damage, rotten boards or not.

I have to agree with Jnette, you kinda need to address that!

My neighbor hired a goofball to cut some stuff, and he dropped some on my Elderberry bush. Sigh. Well it grows like a weed and I was thinking of pruning anyway. I couldn't see telling her, and trying to place 'value' on a volunteer bush.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2013
2:49 PM

Post #9462987

I didn't expect to get much money, and was busy, and hat e harassing people just for doing their job (well, doing it clumsily in this case). I already had to tear it up and haul it away anyway, so they didn't cost me anything. They destroyed a neighbor's rose bush! And probably saved me from a procrastination-induced broken leg.

And they either moved most of my pots BEFORE dropping the tree, or cleaned up well and made it LOOK like they had protected most of my pots.

Darn! I should have called them and called it even in return for 2 yards of wood chips every year!

(The first day they started work, I asked if I c ould have their chips and he mumbled about the truck being big, and he only dumps 10 yards at a time. In other words, "Go away, boy, ya bother me."
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2013
6:18 PM

Post #9463234

You mean after that response you didn't tell him you expected your deck to be rebuilt and the hospital and dr. bills paid for. And then you would see if you could go to work the rest of your life. :0) Bet he would have given you all the chips you wanted and probably spread them for you too.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2013
11:24 AM

Post #9463900

Too bad I asked for chips the very FIRST day they showed up, instead of after they dropped part of a tree on my deck!

Perhaps-not-coincidentally, they crunched my deck the last day they worked in the park. But he did leave a note with his phone number.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 27, 2013
11:29 AM

Post #9463912

So you can hire him to work on your deck he damaged? chuckl

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2013
1:53 PM

Post #9464086

No, it was implied that I could hound him for damages of some sort.

I lived in NJ for a long time, but didn't pick up all their habits.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America