Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Roses: Please identify my lovelies

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 4, Views: 58
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dicentra63
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 6b)

July 9, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8682609

I bought these floribundas in six-inch pots at a grocery store, so there was no specific name tag. I also thought they were miniatures, but no, they eventually grew over 5 feet tall.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36459782@N00/sets/72157611226731690/detail/

They have absolutely no scent and are happy enough in my poor clay on the north side of the house. They also don't get much mildew (SLC is a desert, so that's not unusual), I rarely get aphids, and I haven't had any other pests or diseases in the 10 years I've grown them.

They begin blooming in mid-June and don't stop until the second hard frost, usually after Halloween. In warm weather, the blooms start out a lovely peach color and fade to parchment white, and the petals don't reflex back into triangle-points. When the nights turn cold, the blooms take on a reddish cast.

Like all roses in northern Utah, they died back to the ground in last November's hard frost, but as you can see in the first photo of the set (link above), they've come back vigorously. They haven't been grafted to anything. And they have only a few sturdy (!) thorns lower down on the canes.

Also, there's a lovely bit of japery in one of the photos' captions, even if I do say so myself.

Thanks!
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2011
6:43 AM

Post #8683527

They might be Eureka. I hope that California Sue pops in. She grows more roses than I do and Eureka is one of her favorites. I think it is a yellow floribunda. You can try searching www.helpmefind.com for yellow floribundas.

Another common yellow rose is Julia Child. I grow that one and I don't think this is Julia.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

July 10, 2011
8:30 AM

Post #8683680

I think I have this rose, too. I got mine at a flea market in a 6" pot and thought it was a miniature just like you did. Mine didn't have name on it either, and it's now about 3' tall.
At first I thought it might be "Honey Perfume" but mine has no fragrance, just like you said. Mine also turns white as it ages.
I'll go look to see if mine's grafted...never thought of that !
dicentra63
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 6b)

July 11, 2011
10:28 PM

Post #8687388

It LOOKS exactly like "Apricot Nectar" only it has no scent.

Meh. Maybe it had no name except Faboo Apricot Rose.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2011
9:07 PM

Post #8689445

No, I don't think it's Eureka, it usually has larger full blooms and while it tends to have touches of apricot when the weather is cooler, it is decidedly more yellow. Honey Perfume and Apricot Nectar have good fragrance as mentioned. Sorry, no idea.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America