Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Help, what is this weird tree and fruit?

Communities > Forums > Trees, Shrubs and Conifers
bookmark
Forum: Trees, Shrubs and ConifersReplies: 12, Views: 176
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2011
4:26 PM

Post #8682639

I will post a couple photos of the tree and then of the odd fruit it is bearing. The fruit, seriously, smells like lime insecticide, P.U. It's a pretty tree but I have no clue what it is. Can anyone out there help? Thanks! Here's photo #1.

Thumbnail by hanseycollie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2011
4:26 PM

Post #8682640

Here is photo #2 of the tree and the fruit.

Thumbnail by hanseycollie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2011
5:06 PM

Post #8682703

Looks just like a Walnut (Juglans sp.). Those leaves don't appear to resemble the local Black Walnut here (Juglans nigra), but there are other species that could grow out in the KC area.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2011
6:30 PM

Post #8682828

Black Walnut Juglans nigra (the leaves look exactly right to me!)

Resin
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2011
6:38 PM

Post #8682839

Black Walnut. A good food source for squirrels and other wildlife and also tastes great in ice cream or as a replacement for English Walnuts.
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2011
7:41 PM

Post #8682940

OMGosh, serious, a black walnut? I am so excited! What a cool tree - and we can eat the walnuts when they fall? Woo hoo - my husband makes carrot cakes with walnuts in the frosting, and this will really thrill him! Thanks for the information so much!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2011
8:19 AM

Post #8683660

One other thing to be aware of on black walnuts--if you're planning on planting things around it, many plants are sensitive to juglone (a chemical produced by the walnut tree to discourage other things from growing in its root zone), so make sure you research juglone-tolerant plants before you plant anything there.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2011
10:57 AM

Post #8684080

[quote="hanseycollie"]and we can eat the walnuts when they fall? [/quote]

Yep! As long as you beat the squirrels to them, of course! Black Walnuts are also very tough nuts to crack, they're not like the walnuts you buy in shops (which are Persian Walnut J. regia).

Resin
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2011
5:42 AM

Post #8687618

Many people aorund here will drive over the nuts with their car to crack them open. Also, watch out for the stains produced.
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 13, 2011
7:42 PM

Post #8691042

What an interesting thread! I will be anxious to get our home built and watch the squirrels with the nuts. I have never heard of juglone before so I will definitely check the plants I plan to plant around the tree. It will be a focal point of our front yard for sure. Thanks so much for the information; I appreciate it!
Cynthia
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8699255

Cynthia,
They are right in that most people use their car to drive over them to crack the nuts. The nut covering also stains. A freind in town has a lot of walnut trees. He loves the trees and hates the nuts.

Windy
Belleville , IL
(Zone 6b)

August 4, 2011
3:37 PM

Post #8737100

My sister has a pecan tree in her yard. I thought I would show her grandkids the pecans. So I took some inside to crack the green shell around them. Oops! I had pecan stains all over my hands and inside the fingernails. Very hard to remove.So I guess you wear gloves or something to do this. Serious staining.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

August 4, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8737137

I think most folks harvest the pecans after they've dried and turned brown. Likely not to stain then.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Trees, Shrubs and Conifers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty' evelyn_inthegar 59 Apr 10, 2010 5:27 PM
Mulberry ellenann 8 Mar 29, 2008 2:04 PM
Styrax japonica 'Pink Chimes' rcn48 10 Jun 10, 2008 9:58 AM
Which Trees don't root? Kim_M 37 Aug 26, 2009 6:21 PM
Transplanting sassafrass seedling Rikkashay 14 Jul 13, 2009 12:25 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America