Photo by Melody

Article: Buying annual plants (and other stuff) on eBay -- is it a good idea?: Pretty easy to check out eBay sellers

Communities > Forums > Article: Buying annual plants (and other stuff) on eBay -- is it a good idea?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Buying annual plants (and other stuff) on eBay -- is it a good idea?Replies: 7, Views: 70
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2011
8:48 AM

Post #8683722

Hi Carrie - I love your articles and have saved some of them for easy access.

I love eBay . . .I both buy & sell, though I've never purchased plants (only because I tend to forget about it).

I do bother to read feedback, but I also pay close attention to the Seller's "Star Ratings". I find trends with those ratings can tell you a lot. My experience has shown me that if a seller has nearly all 'Five-Stars' (or close to 5-Stars), then there's a pretty good chance they're a good seller. To me the most important one is "Item as described". If that one isn't 5-Stars (or close), that's an immediate "Red Flag" to me.

And, yes, I realize that someone with not a great deal of feedback can be affected by one bad feedback or Star rating, which is why I also read some of their feedback.

Sometimes just to see how good a seller's communication is, I'll send them a question about the item(s) I'm interested in. It's easy to come up with a question to ask. It can also tell me how friendly they are based on how they write their answer.

Keep up the great, informative articles!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 10, 2011
7:04 PM

Post #8684923

Thank you for your kind words, and I agree with your assessments, too!
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2011
1:20 PM

Post #8690392

You're very welcome! Good luck with those plants.

It's funny that I've tended to forget about eBay for plants since it's one of the first places I look for "hard-to-find-items" or just about anything else. I will keep it in mind for next Spring.

Thanks again for the article!

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9039678

Bumping this up for spring, esp. since I was about to order from an ebay seller, and was suspicious, so I googled them. This is what I found:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/brug/msg0808224027170.html

What got me suspicious, was the 'multicolored rose' seeds they've got for sale.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perennials-Beautiful-Flowering-Roses-Rainbow-Happy-Rose-Seeds-/160758057267?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256ded4933
LOL
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9039806

On the other hand, today I received some Louisiana iris from ebay seller, "cindysgarden2000" that were packaged with lots of tlc, received quickly, and got here nice and fresh! I have to wait until they bloom, of course, to see if they are as labelled, but I have a good feeling about it. She has no negative feedback, whereas the other seller I mentioned does.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9039874

Wow, that multicolored rose (grown from seed) looks like a good candidate for the annual April Fool's Day article, don't you think? Boy, oh boy, there are going to be some sad people out there (in 4-5 yrs--however long it takes to grow a rose from seed)!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9159139

Update: Evidently there are a lot of people fooled by that ad! I just clicked on the link again, and they have sold 198 of them, plus relisted it. Amazing, huh? LOL
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 10, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9159225

Very interesting, especially since that seller will probably get good feedback from most of those "gullible" buyers as soon as they receive their seeds. By the time those seeds turn into rose bushes they may not even remember where they got them.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Buying annual plants (and other stuff) on eBay -- is it a good idea? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
eBay Treasure Trove killdawabbit 5 Jun 30, 2011 4:22 PM
Never bought annuls on-line sweetlilylin 1 Jun 11, 2012 7:18 AM
e-Bay plants ggrayhabig 3 Aug 6, 2012 5:49 PM
Selling on ebay tarynlyn 6 Jun 19, 2012 6:17 PM
Selling on e-Bay - Years ago babypalms 1 Jun 11, 2012 3:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America