AuthorContent

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 10, 2011
1:08 PM

Post #8684333

Welcome to Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners #11. We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1183144/
On this thread we discuss the day-to-day challenges of gardening and enjoying the outdoors when you have some sort of physically limiting condition. Routine contributors to this thread deal with a wide range of challenges from chronic fatigue and the energy deficits caused by Depression to chronic pain and severe mobility limitations. Personal gardening circumstances range from gardening from a wheelchair to gardening without vision to gardening when you’ve had an overabundance of birthdays. :-) We are a diverse group. Feel free to join in.
Debra, I've found that rooting stimulant will sometimes get a plant through heat stress. Not to be confused with rooting hormone. I mean the liquid that you dilute in water. I use Ferti-lome Root Stimulater and Starter Solution. It's usually about $8 a 32 oz. bottle, but you only use a tablespoon or so to a gallon of water. It might be worth a try to save the pricy 'Wedding Dress' hydrangea. .
I transplanted some mock orange and gardenias late. The heat caught them before they had a chance to get well established. The stimulant seems to have revived them. Fingers crossed.
Jim is Shrek-ing out. :-) Watching back-to-back Shrek movies. Nadi is...cleaning house...without being asked to?...I'd better go find out who this imposter is and find the real Nadine. k*
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 10, 2011
1:52 PM

Post #8684415

Thank you, Kay. I will try that.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2011
9:04 PM

Post #8685094

Looks like I got back on line just intime to be on the new thread. It is wonderful to be back. I have truely missed you good friends. And being online.
My daylillys are blooming away. All just plain NOIDS. Except one that has to be one of my own crosses.A a plum pink and gold color. The throat is gold, throat to a strip toward the end of the petals. The outside is plum pink.Its different. There was only one bulblet so this one i've marked so i know what it is. I've been busy moving all my pots in a semi circle around my grill table and chairs to make a kind of patio.Have been spending early nights out every night.Sometimes building a fire. Right now we're under a burn ban. I keep the water hose beside me anyway. But guess i'll wait till ban is lifted.I have bought solar lights i also have in a semi circle around the area. It is so peaceful to hear the dry flies and Katydids and see the fireflys and look at the stars i can see between the trees.I planted zennias,marigolds and petunias among the daylillys and my hostas are scattered around, also have some Oriental lillys blooming.The fragrance seems all over at night tho not too strong. Also got my first ripe tomato from a container plant and have had a couple of cukes. Since i could'nt get online have got some good deep cleaning done.
Have decided to change from propane heat to electric heat this winter.Can't let anyone in untill the house is clean.LOL Also want to repaint the inside of the house in Sept. Have about decided to go for Jims gold and yellows for the living-kitchen area.(might help with depression this winter.)
Life is good!
Vickie (The lil ole grey haired lady from the very hot Ozarks)
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

July 10, 2011
10:01 PM

Post #8685151

Welcome back, Vickie!!!
You’re lucky, Kb. Fresh papaya drizzled with a little lime juice would taste great about now.
Debra, ‘When I Dream’ and ‘James Clark’ do look a lot alike. I think I like Clark a tiny bit better, but it’s like choosing between coconut cream pie and banana cream pie. They are both very good. Can you tell them apart from a distance? I’ve heard some hosta aficionados made up a rule about buying a new hosta. In order to be considered worth the price, it had to be recognizably different from any hosta they already had from a certain distance. Of course, if it’s the details of bloom color and structure that appeal to you I guess a rule like that doesn’t make sense. It doesn’t sound like you need be concerned about being replaced at your job any time soon. Your people need someone to keep them in line. lol. (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 11, 2011
7:52 AM

Post #8685665

I think I like James Clark a little better. There is more texture, pattern, and definition to the petals. But I have two of each, so you'll get one of each and decide for yourself. :-)

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 11, 2011
4:36 PM

Post #8686777

Glad to have you back, Vickie. Hot in the mountains of AR too? .
I was hoping to find a 'Hyperion' at the nursery today. It is such an old classic I thought finding one would be simple. But, they are down to the lost label DL's and the ones that don't look so healthy. They tell me they will have more scented ones in fall.
It's not raining at the moment so I'll try to get more weeding in before dark. k. . .

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 11, 2011
4:38 PM

Post #8686781

Received latest order from Blue Ridge. These are the bonuses:

Garden Chapeau
http://thebloomingauction.com/detail.asp?id=183591&n=GARDEN-CHAPEAU---DF---B1B---Sellers-1996---DAYLILY
http://www.oakesdaylilies.com/categories/daylilies/products/3389-garden-chapeau

Royal Easter
http://cgi.ebay.com/ROYAL-EASTER-DF-L6H-Kirchhoff-D-1995-DAYLILY-/290565611701#vi-desc

Its a Miracle
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/104845/

Garden Dancer
http://thebloomingauction.com/detail.asp?id=188740&n=GARDEN-DANCER---DF---L3A---Santa-Lucia-2004---DAYLILY

Showmanship
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/127068/

This message was edited Jul 11, 2011 10:44 PM

This message was edited Jul 11, 2011 10:59 PM
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 12, 2011
4:57 PM

Post #8688938

Think I am giving the last three to the woman who cleaned my house today. She cleans the boss' house, too, and her son works for me at the office. He's moved quite a few plants-even a big shrub and little tree-from here to their house. She really likes flowers of all kinds, and I want my grandniece to marry HIM if he's still single when SHE is old enough. So I have extra reason to be extra nice. Buttering up Mom to approve the nuptials. ROFL
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

July 13, 2011
8:20 AM

Post #8689872

I sure hope ‘Garden Chapeau’ and ‘Royal Easter’ survive for you, Debra. Those are exceptionally pretty. Are those examples of what DL aficionados are talking about when they say a bloom is watermarked?
The solar lights are a great idea, Vickie, if you can keep pups and kids from playing with them. lol. I increased the height of the poles ours are on. Trying to come up with a way of varying the light color. Kay has gone back to moonlight gardening and we have 3 walkways side-by-side. One to the stairs, one to the w/c ramp and one leading into the Fragrance Garden. I could make it like an airport landing strip for DW. She can still see light. 3 different colors to marking the 3 different walkways. (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 13, 2011
8:29 AM

Post #8689896

Wrap transparent color film on the outside of the fixtures?
http://www.northernsound.net/Sales/Filters/filters/rosco/roscolux.html
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

July 13, 2011
10:08 AM

Post #8690119

Check out www.glowinc.com. They have glow in the dark paints both water and oil based. The owner is Daniel and I'm sure he'd have some good ideas.

kb
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 13, 2011
5:17 PM

Post #8690802

Cool site, Katie. :-)
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

July 14, 2011
1:35 PM

Post #8692295

Thank you both for the sites.
Melinda is a professional with rehabilitation services. She advises us about safety and mobility issues. One of the things she suggested we do for VI’s is to paint the risers (vertical part) of the steps) a contrasting color. We haven’t done it yet because MK doesn’t need it and Jenny isn’t around anymore. (There are no other VI’s at the moment.) I think a glow-in-the-dark paint would be a good choice for the risers. That would even make the stairs safer for TAP’s.
I like the idea of altering the colors of the solar lights too.. That would be useful and FUN. I still like being outside at night. I don’t wander as far from the house at night as I did before hearing something in the woods I couldn’t identify and something Fenny was scared of. (Maybe, one of Bone Woman's children. lol.). :-)The Moonlight Garden is thankfully just outside the front door. It is incorporated into the Fragrance Garden. It seems like most night bloomers are also fragrant. My next addition to that will probably be yucca. I’ve read they are pollinated by moths. I’m still researching that. There are so many kinds of yucca to choose from. ~Nadine~
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2011
2:56 AM

Post #8693394

Nadene, I love being outside at night too. And have been doing so.With my 3 dogs and 3 cats for company Nothing will slip by their notice.DD tells me snakes don't stay around where cats are. Sure hope thats true but i still keep a wary eye out.
Young Scoot is a joy.Cricket will play with him but poor ole Dillen just lets out a groan and rolls over.One cat has scratched his nose,another runs from him and Miss Kitty ignores him with every atom of her being.And that is funny. Oh yes i have another lap dog.DD wanted me to take another kitten. I told her that was NOT FUNNY!
We've been having 100+ temps up here on the mountain.107 in the valley.Am sleeping daytime and working night.Also went to Walmarts at 2AM the other night. All you guys be careful seems like someone is always ending up in the hosp.with heat stroke.
Have been cleaning kitchen. Seems like the more i do the behinder i get.
My grandson gets out of prison next month. I'm going to go pick him up and take him to Little Rock to some halfway house.I can forgive but not trust again.His mom and dad don't have a vehicle or the money to go get him. I've never been to my mothers grave and will go by there as it's not far from where he's at.Also my other grandparents lived at Ulm ARK also nearby and will see if i can visit some gravesites there.
The govenor of Okla has asked everyone to pray for rain. Might be a good idea.
Vickie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 17, 2011
11:14 AM

Post #8697805

Katie, think I'm going to get some of that glow powder myself, thanks.

Hug, Vickie!

Jim, the watermark is "A zone above the flower's throat which is lighter in color than the petal color. " These two have eyes. "A darker colored zone on the petals and sepals of the flower just above the throat. Notice that in the examples below the eye pattern also appears on the sepals. If the dark pattern only appears on the petals, it as called a band." There are specific definitions for each little variation, and I doubt I will ever get them all. I just know what I like. LOL

Nadine, keep paying attention to the dogs. They know whats what most of the time. :-)

Carrie, how is it going with the 576 plugs?

Afternoon, Sheri. :-)

Kay, how about a photo of the haircut? You can have them take it from the back if you don't like having your picture made.

Y'all check this out. (Hey, I've lived in Texas since 1971. AND I was conceived in Waco, so I kin use them suthrun werds sumtimes. ROFL) Saw a thread on another site where a teacher wanted to put in a garden with her class and had no money for anything. They used cardboard boxes and dirt from the schoolyard. And voila! It worked! Day before yesterday, I received a lot of 25 small-fan no ID daylilies. No pots, not a lot of newspaper wrapping when shipped and wayyyyy too hot to be digging. Hmmm. Is they gonna die? Then, this morning, the lightbulb went off. See? I think they will be just fine for some time. The others waiting do have a lot of paper and, as long as I keep the paper at least damp, they will be okay for awhile, too. Daylilies are amazing things.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Click the image for an enlarged view.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2011
9:25 AM

Post #8699473

I think I got many of the lobelia planted, many of the impatiens, some of the alyssum and a few of the coleus. I know where I want more of the coleus to go, they're just not there yet; most of the alyssum punked out from not being planted fast enough when they were so tiny and because it was really hot when they first arrived. For some strange reason the coleus are still going strong, 50% still in their plug tray! I really had a hard time choosing my 4th tray - should have followed my first instinct and gotten portulaca. 144 is a lot of plugs!

So are we turning into the DL thread? lol. Debra, DH feels like he is being (what is the word you used?) back shelfed or red-stickered or earmarked for early retirement too. Whatever. But he's the one who keeps turning departments around from mutinous to nearly well-oiled machines, but that's not the high profile life. But he's not supposed to WANT the high profile life, he's not trying to advance his career, just not lose it before 10/2014 when he retires with full travel benefits. (Yipee!)
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

July 18, 2011
2:03 PM

Post #8700034

I finally got her to to take a picture, but she said I had to be there too sorry for the scarry man lol. (Jim)

Thumbnail by seacanepain

seacanepain
Midland City, AL

July 18, 2011
2:24 PM

Post #8700065

Made her do another to show the haircut better.

Thumbnail by seacanepain

seacanepain
Midland City, AL

July 18, 2011
2:39 PM

Post #8700088

And here is the rest of the story as Paul Harvey would say, 25 inch braid.

Thumbnail by seacanepain

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2011
4:40 PM

Post #8700406

Kay,

Are you gonna sent that braid to "Locks of love"? Or just keep as a souvenir?

Sheri ^_^

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 18, 2011
8:21 PM

Post #8700850

lol. It's on its way to Locks of Love. Thought Jim had already mailed it out. Maybe, he was like that little girl and the cherry tree limb and thought he could super glue it back on. :-) Still feels a little strange not to have the weight of it on my neck after so many years, but I love how much cooler it is.
After failing with the herbicide Rodeo, I've taken on the task of removing the seacane the brutish way and just dig it up. Replacing it immediately with wildflowers to prevent erosion on the bank where it grows. Already broke one shovel. :-) The roots are forearm to full arm length and about the diameter of my arm, as well. Hoping to avoid Roundup because of possible water contamination. I may end up trying Rodeo again when the weather is better. Rodeo is said to be safe to use near water. I set a goal of 10 roots a day. I didn't think it would be too hard because the ground is so wet. (This is the first day without rain we've had in a long time.) , but it is more exhausting than I thought it would be. I'll aim for 5 and use a pry bar. :-)
Reading an audio book on Accessible Gardening techniques. That, in fact, is its name. (Accessible Gardening by Janeen R. Adil) Not sure I'm in complete agreement with the author on minimum container sizes for specific plants, but otherwise it is good. She may be right. I have plenty of space to play around with so I've never pushed the envelope. The book contains a list of plant cultivars that are best suited for container growth. My system was simply to look for dwarf in the common name or nana in the botanical name.
Nadi is getting over a summer cold, but she worked on the ramp a little today. Jim took the gift of a clear day to mow. For me, it's weeding, weeding and more weeding. *k
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 18, 2011
8:52 PM

Post #8700909

Kay, you have beautiful hair. I can just see the angel wings shimmering around the envelope when they open it. [hug]
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2011
11:26 PM

Post #8701039

Kay, I can see those angel wings too. You and Jim are a very handsome couple.Jim is lucky to have a woman with a lot of common sense and stability and good looks too. His eyes just sparkle with mischievious intensity.LOL
Nearly all my plants(daylillys,peonys,iris,and lillys are in 20" pots. Some I've just filled up like a little garden. So far so good.I need to divide most of them in Sept.I've got one empty pot,May start some mums in pots. I've got one pot full have had for several years.Have decided Iris spreads too fast to keep them in pots.Have had 3 ripe tomatoes and 2 cukes from my potted tomatoes and cuke plants.Also 3 tomato worms i caught just in time.Maybe I need to get a couple of pet chickens.
Weeding is what put me in a lot of pain. Weeding a pot is simple.
We've had the hottest June on record and headed for the hottest July.Also driest. Please blow some of that rain this way.
Debra, Daylillys are hard to kill.Even plain ole murder does'nt work sometimes.
I've lost the phone # to some cabins we rent sometimes for family reunions in Okla. BETTER START LOOKING. Seems like i'm always losing things lately.
Saying a prayer for your DH,s job Carrie.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

July 19, 2011
1:05 PM

Post #8702064

What color or kind of Coleus, Carrie? (lol. Try to say that 10 times fast.) Coleus and caladiums are PJ’s favorite foliage plants, but we didn’t grow any this year with all the hard-scaping going on. None of either made it through the harsher than usual winter. They should be going on sale soon and we can stock up again. I want to find smaller coleus this time so I can nurse some through the winter inside. The ones we had got to be the size of shrubs by the end of summer. I think they were ‘Inky Fingers’ or a similar colored kind that grew from seed.
I planted some Japanese Dwarf Star Jasmine today as a ground cover in the front walkway border. MK says they don’t usually flower much when they are growing prostrate, but they make a nice evergreen ground cover. I planted one in a hanging basket also so we could get the full impact of the flowers somewhere.
MK shot down my yucca in the Moonlight Garden idea unless I can come up with a way of keeping them from poking or cutting anyone with their sharp edges. I didn’t think of that. MOST visually impaired people don’t like sharp or thorny plants. (MK and her love for ‘Flying Dragon’ oranges, the most wicked of thorny plants, is an exception no one understands.) Strangely, she gets fewer injuries pruning them than anyone else does. I guess that is because blind people tend to have a light touch. Of course, there was the time she was weeding beneath one of the Dragons and got her hair tangled up in the thorny branches. Nope, I don’t think she will miss having long hair at all. lol) The Dragons aren’t in the VI’s Fragrance Garden though. I’ll incorporate yucca somewhere in my bee corner instead. I had yucca fries. I would like to try and grow them to make my own fries. MK says she will explain her love for ‘Flying Dragons’ on the day I explain what compels me to cook from wild scratch. lol. Uhhh… ~N~

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 20, 2011
2:28 PM

Post #8704340

I've learned I can become a real redneck now. :-) Have to remember to apply sunscreeen.
I think barberries are the wickedest of wicked thorns. 'Flying Dragon' thorns, by virtue of their impressive size, can be avoided.
Oh, how I wish I could convince the rain to visit the midwest. Too much of a good thing here. The tomatoes are cracking from the excess moisture (even Jim's little Jellybean tomatoes) and I'm going to be a pickle soon from using vinegar internally and externally to prevent fungal infections of the skin.
It isn’t TOO bad outside. 88 degrees and 68% humidity, but I still haven’t been able to convince myself to do any work out there. I’ll do my minimum daily quota of seacane removal and loads of dirt transferred to the ramp in the cool of the evening and call that good enough. I’ve learned from experience when I feel like this and still push myself I end up regretting it. Some indigenous people of N. Mexico talk of listening to Little Woman (or Little Man, as the case may be.) They say there is a part of you that knows everything, you just have to get stubborn, willful Big Child to stop nagging you so you can hear the instructions the Little Old One whispers to you. I’ve never been very good at doing what I’m told, but I’m learning to listen.
The pink crepe myrtle that offends Jim’s aesthetic sense won’t stay in the CanDo Garden border. I’m just nursing it there until it recovers enough to be moved to the E. boundary where it can grow naturally to its tree form. The limbs were butchered and it didn’t come up easily from its former home. I didn’t get as good a root system as I was hoping for. A faucet and garden sink are in the CanDo Garden and I’m working in the bed there virtually every day. That makes it a good place to ensure the pink lady will get the extra water and TLC it will need for awhile. I want a crepe myrtle there, just not that one. ‘Acoma’ would fit the space without much pruning... I’m looking for one I can afford. The pink CM makes a good placeholder for now. In the Bee Corner allowed to grow naturally with some Joe Pye Weed for company the over-the-top pink lady will be free to strut her stuff and be appreciated. . k*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2011
3:19 PM

Post #8704403

Kay, you're gorgeous!!!! Don't remove ALL the seacane--we still want Jim around.

Nadine, it is Wizard Mix coleus, just staring at me.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2011
2:32 AM

Post #8705454

I'd like you to keep a little bit of seacane around too.
Kay, I beleive in that little man or woman too. I just call them angels.
I've grown the wizard mix coleus before too.What kind of coleus do you want?

Here's a site you might injoy looking at.
http://www.rosydawngardens.com
Also expensive.
This message was edited Jul 21, 2011 3:41 AM

This message was edited Jul 21, 2011 3:44 AM

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2011
4:24 AM

Post #8705510

Since peak daylily season is coming to an end, it will be coleus and caladiums with Jim now. If I succeed in getting rid of all the seacane, Jim ill just have to change his user name. He has plenty of time to think up another one. My battle with the seacane will be long. I will probably see shoots next year from root pieces I missed.
Thanks, Carrie. Growing up among beauty queen sisters I wasn’t told I looked nice very often. But, there are advantages to being the youngest in a family, your siblings all start looking old before you do. ;-)
Dawn has come. Time to get some work done before it gets too hot so I have something to write about. Have a great day, All. . k*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2011
6:09 PM

Post #8707251

Nobody in my family was beauty queen but both my parents had some weird ethic about not boasting and not being prideful and not thinking too much of yourself. Separately (because they split up when I was ten) they each had me convinced I was ugly, fat, my feet were too wide (still are) and the rest of the world confirmed it. Looking at pictures of myself as a child (which I've been doing a lot the last couple days b/c we had a family reunion) I see a sweet child up until my parents split and adolescence hit (kind of simultaneously) then I see a lot of pimples, glasses, crazy hair that was SO out of style, but not the shrek-like creature I felt like inside. Then when I graduated HS I started riding a bike and getting into shape. During college I started growing my hair long which took years and years but it was finally manageable. It took until husband #3 (my DH) for me to actually feel beautiful inside.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

July 22, 2011
12:56 PM

Post #8708918

They are now, but looks weren't really an issue for me growing up, ,My father placed a high value on intelligence. He firmly believe it was an inherited trait. He wanted children, but really didn't want the bother of a wife. (Maybe, appearance issues have more to do with mothers and other women?) He was only concerned the zygotes that became my sister and I came from a healthy woman of high intelligence. I think he really tried hard not to let my sister and I know he was disappointed both with our intelligence and our gender, but we knew. I definately knew he considered me none to bright. He broke once while trying to teach me. When he was trying to get trigonometry through my head, I literally had him banging his head on the kitchen table repeating, "What went wrong. What did I do wrong." lol. I think he realized there is something more to the trait of intelligence than heredity.
I went through a lot of my life feeling like Frankenstein's monster, a well-intentioned, but failed experiment. But, when I listen to some of my friends talk about their '"normal" childhoods, I realize all-in-all I was pretty lucky. My background certainly makes me appreciate being in a warmer environment where people hug and argue and express their feelings.
Good choice on the coleous, Carrie! Pinching off the flowers is all you have to do with those. They don’t have to be pinched to keep their shape and size.
Do you still have DL's blooming, Debra?
What kind of tomatoes are you growing, Vickie? I harvested two today, but they are a funky shape. I must have planted some of MK's odd heirloom seeds. They have a sort of figure 8 shape.
The fruit on MK’s two ‘Flying Dragons’ is growing huge this year. They are already the size they normally are at harvest in late Nov. or early Dec. Some people make a sort of orangeade from them; I might actually try that this year. The fruit looks like normal orange fruit except that it is USUALLY much smaller and has fuzz like a peach. ~Nadine~

Thumbnail by Sansai87

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 22, 2011
4:53 PM

Post #8709365

Nadine, nothing blooming or budding now, but I expect in September I might have some of the rebloomers. Probably going to be too hot in August. Although, we all hope to be surprised on that topic. :-)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2011
6:26 AM

Post #8710365

Grandmother did'nt even classify me in the human race.I was a throwback to the caveman. I now think in a way i was.I preferred outside(Course i was locked outside alot)When i learned to read i intered that world anyway.I remember Girl OF The Limberlost by Gene Porter ???? described my life in a way.without the happy ending.But things turned around in adulthood and i was very lucky. I thought i was ugly but later decided i was passable.And did'nt worry about it. My life was in books anyway.I learned most people are'nt bad and are very good just a few rotten apples out there.It is so very wonderful to be able to love people.I had thick feet. My poor girls had thick and wide feet.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 23, 2011
11:34 AM

Post #8710827

There is a fable about a beautiful young princess who was asked by a witch if she would rather be happy early in life or late in life. The princess, being as wise as she was beautiful, chose late. So would I. :-)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 24, 2011
4:08 PM

Post #8712994

Okay, heat finally got me. Did not realize how much having a constant breeze helps until this afternoon when there wasn't one until that last 10 minutes. Managed to get the Maltese Falcon, Grey Witch, Garden Chapeau, Royal Easter, Black Briar Bay, Watermelon Man, Willow, and Heavenly Starfire separated and in the ground or in pots. Been watering them in the shipping boxes. Some were thriving despite the heat and just having roots wrapped in damp newspaper. Was time to plant, though, before any were lost. Watered a few areas and sprinkled fertilizer here and there. Still need to get pavers or bricks to outline the new bed. TooHotTooHotTooHot to go look at big box stores.

Trying to hold out on new daylilies until September, not the least reason is I've spent way too much on them this year. And it's reallllly hot to be outside planting. Then, last night was told of a daylily sale and have found three that were always too expensive until now. So its going to be noodles and bologna for awhile again. But, I am excited about them.

Magic of Oz
(not only on sale, but buy-one-get-one. yippee!)
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/116197/

Spacecoast Sea Shells
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/122047/

Cathy Cute Legs
(my sister's name is Cathy, this one is for her :-)
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/163873/
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, have these coming from two other vendors:

Lemon Lily
(buy two, get one free :-)
http://www.earlybirddaylilies.com/cgi-bin/intralinks/store.cgi?action=link&sku=lemonlily&uid=2646

Irish Elf
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/51184/

Stars over Alabama
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/315450/

Sweet Sugar Candy
(Yes, Jim, it's pink and I did know it was pink this time. LOL It is a Late and Extended bloomer.)
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/260413/

Was taking a few vacation days soon to coincide with an employee's break. We work on a weekly project that takes both of us. So with him out, seemed a good time for me to go, too. Last night, he asked to delay until third weekend in August. Maybe, maybe, it will have either cooled a little or rained between now and then. A lot of structural projects I'd like to get started on. Need to move some misplaced plants (like the Arctic Queen Clematis just frying because I was trying to train it up a metal fence post with full eastern exposure. Uh, duh, dumb place, Debra. :-D Also want to move all the miscellaneous non-peony plants in this small bed to make room for the five new peonies coming in September. Fingers crossed we'll have some relief by then.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

July 25, 2011
1:03 PM

Post #8714492

I would say we will have to go to Carrie for blooms in August. But, I just heard some heat traps in NYC are hitting 125 degrees. August will just have to be garden dream time. Catalog browsing and planning the fall garden. ~N~
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 26, 2011
11:57 AM

Post #8716490

I have a red one and a pink daylillys blooming. I bought some late bloomers. Wish i'd bought more. I water almost everyday now. I go out after dark. (Have solar lights everywhere) and very early morning.I simply can't breathe in hot air.
Scoot got bitten by a copperhead yesterday. I gave him Benydryl and sat up with him. He's over it this afternoon. I hate those snakes.
I'd like to gather them up and let them all loose on Capital Hill in DC right now. Probably would'nt help tho. LOL
I vaguely remember some politicians named copperheads but nothing about them.
Sounds good to look thru some flower catalogs. or online for some mums. I need something to carry on the flower season longer.Think I'll google mums and see what i get. On the 3rd am going around the General Dollar stores and see if any have any big flowerpots left.I've picked u some good bargains in August sometimes. Course we may not get our checks in August this year. But ya know i have faith that no government person would do that to us.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

July 26, 2011
2:21 PM

Post #8716760

Debra, do me a favor and keep me posted on how well the lemon lily does. I know Kay has wanted that one ever since she caught a whiff of it on a garden tour near Montgomery. We were told it wouldn’t grow this far south when we asked about it at a local nursery, however. Kay questioned that since Montgomery is only about 2 hours north. When I did a computer search, the online nursery catalog gave zone 7 as its southern limit. Could be there is more than one daylily called lemon lily PF listed it as far south as zone 9. I am very curious to see how well it grows for you. It is said to be the most fragrant of the daylilies.
My favorite of your new arrivals has to be Spacecoast seashell, but for my safety I’ll say it was Stars over Alabama. :-) Sweet Sugar candy just brings on a craving for cotton candy. lol.
This is Nadine’s day to be Story lady at the library. Kay is using her walker, but she is up and about. Weeding the long bed in the CanDo Garden.
Vickie i would rather deal with the snakes that have no legs :)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 26, 2011
5:06 PM

Post #8717061

Vickie, I've been hunting out late blooming in these recent orders. Spread the bloom time out as much as possible. Give Scooter a hug for me. Once saw an Australian Shepherd puppy bitten in the head by a rattler. He was eventually okay, but it was scary looking.

Jim, I've also seen references that say it will grow into Zone 9. Sent a message to the grower for her opinion. Since I have three coming, I'll send one to you guys in September, anyway. It ain't pink! The grower for Stars over Alabama hasn't yet gotten back to me. She had to go out and make sure she had them before billing and she has family in this week. Have never seen Spacecoast Sea Shells listed for less than $25.00, so this one is a great deal. The grower is shipping to me in September. Any I get with double fans, be happy to share. AND, go to his site and enter Competition in the search box. He is including this one as a bonus in all orders. What do you think of it?
https://daylilygarden.net/cgi-bin/WEB_STORE/web_store.cgi

Yea, Nadine! I love libraries.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2011
11:12 AM

Post #8718722

I have balloonflowers, daylilies, honeysuckle, knockout rainbow roses, hydrangea QuickFire and hmmm can't look out the back right now but alll that is right now and MIGHT/SHOULD still be going in August. Got chewed out for not writing enough!
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

July 27, 2011
9:19 PM

Post #8720147

Carrie, "One Bad Apple..." was very good. It had useful and fun info. I popped some grapes in the freezer after reading it. lol.
Looking forward to the next installment. All our tomatoes are indeterminate so I can keep up with those. but other veggies pile up and I'm not always sure of the best ways to keep them fresh. I cheated with the cucumbers and put some in "Bingo bags." I was visiting a couple I've been friends with a long time who live in an apartment building solely for the elderly and disabled. They have Bingo in the community room every week. You can't play for money in Alabama so the winner gets a goodie bag. The management let me put the cucumbers in the prize bags. It went over quite well. The bags usually have cookies and things like that. Most of the people who live there survive on SSI and SSDI so things are often tight. I guess fresh fruit and veggies sometimes count as goodies.
Lots of flowers in August. How cool is that. Most of those type plants bloom in April and May for us. Except the balloon flowers, I don't think we've ever grown those. ~Nadine~

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8721740

Thanks, Nadine! I have to find out the information so I can write the article...and I've been assigned to do new diascia varieties first! I'm in a not good place with my editor right now so when she says write I have to write.

I did go take some pictures for you guys -- I think they're on the "joy" thread.

So here's my practical matter: the exercise physiologist at the Y hooked me up to electrodes today and shocked my glutes and tibia into firing, and I biked for like 20-30 min!!!! At first it felt like mosquito bites, then like wasp stings, then like a really hard massage. Strange but not painful. I wouldn't have been able to tolerate the wasp sting stage for long but it was over in seconds.

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

July 28, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8721747

I think that's good, isn't it? I don't want to cheer if it wasn't. kb

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2011
5:31 PM

Post #8721787

It was exciting and interesting...I don't know if I'll be able to maintain a 3x a week schedule. But with MS, you never know how something is going to feel. It could have set off spasms, or stayed at the wasp sting stage for 20 min. That would have been awful. So I'm cautiously optimistic.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

July 28, 2011
5:35 PM

Post #8721794

In that case I'm happy for you and hope things continue to go well. kb

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8721800

:) Thanks.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 28, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8721881

Carrie!! That is GREAT! [big hug] :-D
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2011
8:22 PM

Post #8722149

I think thats great too.Another hug.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

July 28, 2011
9:29 PM

Post #8722267

Carrie, inspired me to spend some time on the recumbent bike. It was getting dusty from lack of use. :-)Jim

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2011
10:09 AM

Post #8723120

hmm...recumbant bike huh...can you do it in your sleep?

wonderful news, Carry. I pray that it continues to be tolerable for you.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2011
4:41 PM

Post #8723938

The question is, can I make it over there two-three times a week? Thank you all for your support and cheers, and go, Jim, go!
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

July 29, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8724056

Go, Carrie! PJ probably WISHES he could exercise in his sleep. :-)
Ah-h-h, yes!!! Another victory in the plant ID arena. (Okay, so it doesn’t take much to get us unjaded, newbie gardeners excited. lol.) I finally IDed a plant that has been blooming in PJ’s porch rail planter as Chinese forget-me-nots as (Cynoglossum amabile). I’m harvesting the seeds from them. They will make a great underplanting for the lilies in the CanDo Garden. I want to sow some real forget-me-nots there too. They will bloom along with the daffies and iris next spring. Well, that’s the plan anyway. Real forget-me-nots are marginal here. ~N~
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 29, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8724060

Sounds like a good week was had by all.

This photo is what has been sitting across the street from my office since Monday. Crews are putting in a huge storm drain.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 29, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8724069

Since it has just been *sitting* there unattended since Monday...welllll... :-D

Second load with smaller chunks coming next week. Will make a good border for the new small bed and I won't have to go to all the box stores in a 15 mile radius looking for clearance pavers.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 30, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8725861

...AND we can use them to help build the Green Amber project.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2011
4:22 PM

Post #8725950

:)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2011
8:51 PM

Post #8726480

Green Amber project?????
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 30, 2011
9:22 PM

Post #8726540

My Green Amber Gardens project, Vickie.

www.greenambergardens.com

It is to remember people who were dedicated to service, of all kinds, and don't have any immediate family (spouse and/or kids) to do that after they die. The idea is that you send in a person's story, or chose a person from the site to do something garden-related in their memory, or both. My side yard along the drive way is going to be cleared and several tiered planters/raised beds built so I can personally add more plants, trees, and yard art as I run across more people I want to remember. Problem is getting anyone to find the site and send me stories! Maybe you can help me out, there. Would you look at it and let me know what you think?:-)

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 30, 2011
9:49 PM

Post #8726571

Great score, Debra. Making concrete pavers is time consuming and exhausting. I’ll have to stay on the lookout for opportunities like that.
Nadine mowed the Fragrance Garden and it didn't even rain. She must be losing her touch or is exhausted from all the “It’s your day to mow” rainmaking she’s done in the last month. We haven't been able to mow for a while because the grass never had a chance to get dry. The place is getting that abandoned, gone back to the wild look. Now, with a whole two days without rain we are struggling to catch up. Hopefully, that means other parts of the country will start getting their share of liquid sunshine. .
Jim is still recovering. Staying in bed most of the time. I’ve never been able to do that. My GC’s and I play a Wii game, the object of which is to see how long you can stay perfectly still. I never do well with that one. That’s okay. 3 of the 5 seem to have inherited my nervous energy so it is a challenge for them too.
I may regret it, but I’m moving some irises. I’ve heard you can actually kill irises, but you couldn't prove it by me. :-) Slowly getting plants that aren’t fragrant out of the front walkway border. None of these irises are fragrant to my knowledge.
Wish me luck. I’m about to do battle with some aggressive wasps that have taken over one of my wooden planters. No one has been stung yet, but only because no one has challenged their claim to the planter. We've been backing away when they've flown at us. I decided on a sneaky, midnight raid to eliminate the problem before someone is stung. . It's guerilla warfare. Let’s see. First, I need to don some of Nadi’s bee gear. Tiptoe out to the planter without rousing the nasty buggies. Braille on the planters side until I find the opening into their nest. Still without waking them, I hope. Insert the nozzle of an insect fogger into said opening. Pull the trigger. Then, find out how fast - an old, blind lady can run. Nah, on second thought, this sounds like a “Honey, darling, sweetheart, will you…” kind of thing. Like taking out the garbage and cleaning up the gruesome deeds committed by the dogs and cats. We can discover the top speed that can be achieved with a manual w/c. Well, I'll push.
Do you have any Parrot tulips, Debra? They are one of the few tulip varieties that will grow in the south. Looking at what I might send you in exchange for the DLs. One day I’ll get all the stuff around here on my trade list and in my DG journal. Seriously! We’re going to do it one day. We really are. Honest. :-) k*
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2011
9:55 PM

Post #8726592

I surely would and for myself too.What a wondeful idea. How do i find it? Duh!!!! I found it. What a wonderful idea. I just love it and I already have a candidate. My mother-in-law. I ve wanted to do something like that for her and this would be perfect. And she would be remembered forever for the person she was.
Thank you Debra.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2011
10:18 PM

Post #8726666

Kay, We posted at the same time.What you doing up this time of night? I used to have parrot tulips but i think they all died out.Guess it's about time to buy and plant spring bulbs. Will hyacinths grow down there? Also iris?
My hostas are hanging in there and i have'nt watered them but will have to if it does'nt rain in the next few days.Also need to water my fig tree. Afraid the figs are drying up without getting ripe.
It's amazing whats hanging on in this hot dry weather.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 30, 2011
11:03 PM

Post #8726720

Committing mass murder...if all went well. :-)
I can manage a morning lark schedule if I must, but naturally I'm a night owl. No work tomorrow and I'm not attending church services. (My hearing aids are in for repair and I'm not going to sit in the pews for hours just trying to appear like I know what is going on. lol.) My night owl tendicies are exerting themselves.
Love hyaciths and they grow here. Will have to put those on my "want" list. A friend gave Amargia her iris collection when she went into a nursing home. I'm still trying to organize them. None of them were labeled and many haven't bloomed yet because I keep moving them from place to place. If all goes well, this will be their last move and I'll finally know what colors we have.
What are YOU doing awake in the wolf hours? k*
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2011
11:10 PM

Post #8726725

I love nighttime. When the girls got out of school. It was so nice to sleep in and stay up nights.That all changes in winter when there is so much dark.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 30, 2011
11:21 PM

Post #8726729

Kay, I adore Parrot Tulips and do not have a single one. :-)

I used to be a night owl. Not so much anymore. Tonight--or this morning, if you will--is oddball. Worried about work and my sister and the heat and the dogs and on and on. Too hot to get out and do much. Would take an extra Ativan, but the prescription won't be refilled until Thursday and I have just enough to get to then. :-)

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2011
2:01 PM

Post #8727903

are parrot tulips the orange or red ones with yellow fringes at the petal tips. I've seen them once and was amazed at their beauty. I thought all tulips had to have a cold winter period, though in order to get a bloom.
I've never gotten any cause I thought surely this Carolina heat would do them in

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 31, 2011
4:14 PM

Post #8728221

Yes, Sheri, that is a good description of a parrot tulip. They've usually got a little blotch of green on the bloom that really does make you think of parrots.Jim thought they were cool looking and ordered more than we really need. Amargia is primarily dedicated to edibles. My mother loved tulips and was very disappointed when she moved here in the late 50’s to find none of her tulips would grow here. I believe parrot tulip and one or two species tulips are all that can survive without the chill hours. Most southern tulip lovers console themselves with irises. Those bloom about the same time and thrive here with little care.
Vickie, is your fig tree in a container? Nadine was supposed to be finding a source for a good container cucumber called 'Arkansas Little League'. She fell through one of those trap doors in the web and ended up reading online Arkansas newspaper stories all morning. :-) The hidden snares of the web.
Debra, when Nadi’s brain gets stuck in worry mode, I make her sing Bobby McFerrin’s “Don’t Worry. Be Happy!” three times back-to-back. Do you know all the words? lol. {hug} k*
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 31, 2011
4:34 PM

Post #8728254

I know some of the words, and I do have his Paper Music recordings with the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra where he vocalizes some of the instrumental parts. Really cool.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

July 31, 2011
10:17 PM

Post #8728851

That particular song might not work for anyone but me. lol. My Da told me I walked around singing that song when I was a toddler. It is the first song I remember. Singing any silly, upbeat music works for me.
When MK goes into obsessive worry mode, I pullout whatever “worry book” I’ve squirreled away for just such an eventuality. For Mama Kay, a worry book is a book that’s funny, but also has enough serious content to engage the logic part of her brain. When I come across a book that has the right qualities, I see if it is available as an audio book or if it is available as a computer download. The last time MK’s eldest DD did something that threw her mother for a loop, I pulled out Empress of Mars by Kage Baker. That distracted and cheered her enough to break the cycle. You can count on her DD#1 to necessitate the need for a “worry book” fairly often so I keep my eyes open for the right kind of book.
On the other hand, it is slapstick comedy movies that switch off the perpetual worry machine in PJ’s mind. The campier, the better. I guess laughter is a good medicine for lots of ills. ~N~

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2011
6:37 AM

Post #8729278

yep! I second that emotion! Laugh on!!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2011
7:25 AM

Post #8729370

It's so funny that Kay is telling us about Nadine and Nadine is telling us about Kay, or should I say informing on?
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

August 1, 2011
1:46 PM

Post #8730090

Yeah, they rat on each other all the time, and they both rat on me so I might as well tell on myself. I made a manly sandwich for lunch with plenty of jalapeno peppers. I discovered halfway through I had underestimated how hot the peppers were. I exchanged one of my sandwich triangles for one of Kay’s. She used sweet banana peppers on hers. She makes two sandwiches for herself, but Tater-dog usually ends up eating the second one. How could I have known this would be the day she went for a third triangle and it would happen to be the one I exchanged. I’m innocent of any premeditated mischief. I solemnly swear. Besides, all the milk she is drinking to rid herself of the burn has got to be good for her bones. Right?
She says she is still going to help me clear out all the overgrown summer stuff in my porch garden to make room for fall plants, except for the jellybean tomatoes. The vines are running everywhere, but they look healthy and are still producing fruit. I want to keep those going as long as possible. Most tomatoes stop producing in high summer. These guys have small fruit, but nothing seems to stop them. High heat. Extreme humidity. Shade. They just keep on truckin’. (Jim
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 1, 2011

Post #8730564

Kay, I just know you have something in mind for Mr. Solemnly Swear, right?

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8730641

I ate all of his ripe jellybeans and half of the little pear shaped tomatoes too. :-) I needed the vitamin C to balance out all the calcium. Right? k*
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 1, 2011
5:39 PM

Post #8730687

Right!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2011
10:58 PM

Post #8731344

Girls, You simply have to quit picking on that sweet Jim.I know he always is cheerful and hardworking. Never complaining.Granting your every wishes.Working his fingers to the bone to make your lives a little better.
My sleeping pill might be taking affect.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 2, 2011
6:54 AM

Post #8731712

:-D

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2011
1:38 PM

Post #8732352

Wow, I couldn't eat anything that hot. Although, my body is behaving like somebody else's these days. I was able to sleep w/out long underwear for the first time in 25 years the other day!!!!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 2, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8732710

I like jalapenos and spicy food. I just want to know it's coming! :-D

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

August 2, 2011
8:23 PM

Post #8733357

I loved jalapenos when I was younger. I think my taste buds have become more timid over the years.
Those must be good sleeping pills, Vickie, evidently they take you to la-la land even before you doze off. :-) Nadine tells me all of AR is still under a heat advisory. She reads an online AR newspaper. One of the results of her wild internet goose chase looking for the container cuke variety 'Arkansas Little LEAF. Oooops, my blunder. I would have sworn the man said 'Little League'.
How hot is it in your part of the world, Carrie?
Jim has changed his mind about eating maypop fruit. I admit they do taste better this year. They've thrived in all the rain. I need to put up a higher strand for them to climb on tomorrow. k*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2011
8:17 AM

Post #8734093

Somebody told me it was 100 and something the other day...let's just say hot. Let's just say it would have been a much better year for tomatoes than the year I actually tried to grow them. I was all set, too, but my supplier in NC had a back injury and crop failure (the two should be related) and I won't buy tomato plants from Home Depot.

Most of what I bought as plugs are doing beautifully! I think 128 is too many for me! By the time I get the last ones planted it will be frost. On the other hand, the things I bought 6 of -- tarragon, rosemary, basil, petunias, etc. --- I was able to plant out right away and now they're huge. The other problem is the stuff from Mitch didn't arrive until June 13, which is really about 3 weeks too late for lobelia to have a season, esp.when they start out that dinky. I knew it was going to come then, I just didn't realize how much of the summer I would be missing. I should have taken him up on his first offer and gotten ornamental kale instead of coleus, or maybe portulaca. My argument against the portulaca is that I can row it myself but did I? NO!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 6, 2011
10:00 PM

Post #8741171

I've refrained for two weeks. Been watching and holding back and not spending the grocery money. Until today. [grin]
Mostly Late Season bloomers:
================================================================================
Springfield Clan (early bloomer, but been hankering after it and found it almost 50% less than anywhere else)
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/301732/

Sings the Blues (branching out from my purple and red tracks. late blooming and has some fragrance, too)
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/234504/

Nosferatu (where would Dracula and Bela Lugosi be without this one for company?)
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/167117/

Bonanza (seller is sending four fans of this one for $10 including shipping. yea!)
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/20335/

Witches Laugh (four fans of this one, too :-)
http://cgi.ebay.com/DAYLILY-WITCHS-LAUGH-2-FANS-BUY-2-FANS-GET-2-FREE-/170666971006

Lady Bear Bryant (only white one i will have)
http://www.dancingdaylily.com/items/LADY_BEAR_BRYANT/

Dragon's Orb (had to add $5 somewhere to meet the minimum order. this one looked interesting)
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/8941/

Frilly Bliss (a little like Magic of Oz)
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/58845/

Voodoo Dancer
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/85519/

Rocky Horror (okay, so i'm doing the time warp again, but it just looks so coooool!)
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/75685/

Cleo ($6 for three fans of this one)
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/19633/

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2011
9:45 AM

Post #8741895

Please remember Debra, When you run out of room for all those Daylillys,I have lots of room for them here.LOL AND...Are you starting a daylilly Halloween garden? You are going to love those late bloomers.
Our weatherman was talking about the wonderful year of weather we've had so far this year. The coldest January,Febuary,the most tornados,The most straight days of +100* May celebrate the New Year a little more joyfully this year.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 7, 2011
10:45 AM

Post #8741981

Vickie, for sure there will be Bonanza, Witch's Laugh, and Cleo. Do you like those?
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2011
10:54 AM

Post #8742017

Witches Laugh. This is one time i'm after a theme.
I've decided to start a Voo Doo planter.LOL
If i don't get out and water tonight i'll have a cemetary of ghost daylillys.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 7, 2011
11:20 AM

Post #8742076

Vickie, a Halloween garden. What a great idea! I can pull all these into it:

Quote the Raven--Bela Lugosi--Wait until Dark
Nosferatu--Rocky Horror--Witches Laugh--Dracula
Voodoo Dancer--Dragon's Orb--Grey Witch
Third Witch--Brown Witch--Killer
Snake in the Grass Boo--Darker Shade

What do you think should be the annual and shorter perennial fillers? Have to be some orange and yellow in there to go with all this purple.

This message was edited Aug 7, 2011 1:21 PM
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

August 7, 2011
11:28 AM

Post #8742094

I think you need calendula to heal all the wounds. kb
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 7, 2011
12:13 PM

Post #8742178

good idea, katie. i like the flower form, too. will do that.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2011
12:38 PM

Post #8742237

Good idea, Katie! I was thinking she would probably want DEADNETTLE as a perennial groundcover, also called white Nancy (which is how I first met it, because DD#2 is named Nancy). It also comes in various pink and purple forms, but white would be the right color to offset the little trick-or-treaters. It needs water to get started, but once it's established, there it'll be. Orange portulaca for an annual--would that self-seed for you, Debra? Here, we would use orange impatiens or something else very water thirsty but I'm concerned that would wilt in your heat.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 7, 2011
12:54 PM

Post #8742285

Carrie, the usual impatiens would wilt, but I think SunPatiens might work. Had a clump of Salmon Variegated which did well enough in the heat, it was killed second year by winter freezing. http://www.sunpatiens.com/

So orange Sunpatiens and Calendula. Maybe a nice marigold or two. Orange Lantana. Ooh, maybe Gazania. STRIPED orange and drought tolerant. :-) Like Gerberas a lot, but they need too much water.

What else?
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 7, 2011
12:57 PM

Post #8742290

Oooh, oooh! California Poppies and Cosmos.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8742413

Yes, and didn't I say orange portulaca? I certainly THOUGHT orange portulaca.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 7, 2011
5:29 PM

Post #8743019

You did, I fastened on the impatiens and slid right over it. Yes, portulaca. :-)
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

August 7, 2011
11:01 PM

Post #8743549

Orange impatiens? Cool. All I ever seem to find are the pink ones. We just moved the pink ones out of the hanging baskets on the deck into the Cando Garden. I was wondering what I could replace them with that would go better with all the copper and brown. .
Debra, what about orange in the foliage? There are coleus and cana that would fit the bill. Some small canna have orange flowers. Is it too dry there for canna?
Some white spider lilies might be fun. Several different plants are called spider lily so I guess I should say Lycoris albiflora. They look like white versions of red spider lilies (Lycoris radiata.) ~N~
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

August 8, 2011
1:49 PM

Post #8744790

Debra, if I had to pick a favorite among your newest daylily acquisitions, I think it would be ‘Witches Laugh’. But, ‘Nosferatu ’ will be a great addition to your Fright Night motif.
Portulaca is tough! Kay once filled the cells of concrete blocks with soil that wasn’t amended, planted the seeds and they grew fine. .
If you want coleus, three of the better orange foliage types are ‘Fire Dragon’, ‘Sedona’ and ‘Molten Orange’. There are new sun tolerant varieties coming out all the time.
K. says another plant you might consider is dwarf Mexican sunflower.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55104/
I tried to help with the weeding today. I ripped out some dewberries. They are delicious and thrive in the shade, but someone needs to develop a thornless variety as they’ve done for blackberries. I want to replace them with something more friendlily.
It wasn’t as miserable outside this morning as it has been. Humidity is down to 56% and we were in the low 90’s. Best of all there was a slight breeze. I’ll still probably dream of October when I take my afternoon nap. Kay and Nadi got up at dawn and are already taking theirs. (Jim)
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

August 8, 2011
1:58 PM

Post #8744817

I am stopping in for a moment to say that my legs hurt. I've been getting back to the brown bagging of my bedroom walls and it involves some stooping and some going up and down the step ladder. I think if I keep at it I may not feel like I'm going to die every time I move but it's rough going.

It's getting to where I can't find anything in the kitchen because it has gone to pieces while I try to finish the brown bagging.

The dogs say that as long as they get their home-cooked dinner the rest of the house is fine with them - especially the bedroom with the a/c. I'm trying to adopt their atitude.

katie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2011
9:21 AM

Post #8746488

Don't die, Katie, and I don't even think you should feel like you're going to!

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2011
9:44 AM

Post #8746522

Katie, jes do a little at a time with healthy rest brakes & Siesta's in the heat of the day. I love you too much to have you go doin silly stuff than wears you out or is not good for you. This horrible heat is really heard to work in so please take it easey and drink lots of water.

Hugs & puppy kisses,
Sheri & Pookie

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

August 9, 2011
3:01 PM

Post #8747077

Please don’t push yourself too much, Katie. It can seriously backfire. I know how frustrating it can be. I feel like I’ve been living on a construction site for several years now. But, pushing your body too hard just isn’t worth it. YOU are innately important, not the work you do. I came from a workaholic family so I know the battle well. Haven’t won it by any means, but I’m still slugging it out. If I’m inactive for long, I can hear those ghostly voices in my head fussing at me for being useless and telling me to get off my lazy backside. (The voices in my head aren’t nearly so polite, of course.) Nadi is a godsend. She is louder and more persistent than the ghosts that live in my brain. She is determined to teach me how to chill. And, I initially hired Jim because he IS unapologetically lazy. Like most successful lazy types he can be counted on to find the most efficient way to do things. lol. Laziness is the mother of efficiency.
I’m finding little things to do that burn off the nervous energy without too much physical stress. I’m trying some teapot weeding. I bring the teapot to a whistle and take it out and pour it on encroaching grass. Don’t know if it will work on grass, but it won't hurt and I've found an easy way to do a tedious job if it does.
Nadi has proven herself and is getting more and more work from her employer. Working on the ramp has become her exercise program. That frees me up to do the concrete part of the project. Painting containers and those signs Carrie mentioned as something creative she can do for fun. Nadi still has a hard time recognizing plants so when I tell her something like 'It's in the Stone Bed", she sighs and ask which of the three beds around the stone well I mean. She really liked Carrie's idea. By the time she is through everything around here will have a name. :-) Really, that is needed when more than one person is working a piece of property. Jim has started helping me with the weeding. I was falling behind. With all the rain, things grow incredibly fast. Jim says I need to take advantage of this extra inside time and “clean up” my computer. Get rid of some of the bookmarks and go through my email in other words. I bookmarked an online nursery to order from later. It is buried up somewhere in all my bookmark. I know it is. :-) k*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8747169

I'm glad my idea about signs is useful. I thought of a few more orange plants--Helenium, Tithonia, Gallairdia, have orange cultivars. So, ladies and gentlemen, may I borrow these ideas and write about a Halloween Theme Garden for Oct. 31? The only problem is, all the plants can't be daylilies. But people love to name Irises almost more than DL, and hostas are in there somewhere a close third. And I also need copyright-free pictures, like not from a website. Darn, I just saw a Monarda in the Bluestone catalog called 'Goblin'!

Debra, can spider plant, usually grows indoors but some places grows outdoors, grow outside there? If not spider plant, then spider wort? Is there anywhere in the world DL or Iris bloom in Oct.?
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 9, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8747470

Carrie, I would love to read an article by you on a Halloween theme garden. Reblooming Iris and Daylilies can be blooming here until November. Roses into December.

Don't know about spider plant outside. Might be too hot. Spiderwort will grow with water. Here are some non-daylily ideas. :-)

Lavender "Graves"
Geranium "Tiny Monster"
Dianthus "Bewitched"
Cuphea "Bat Face"
Hosta "Ghost"
Witch Hazel
Elderberry "Witch's Broom"
Iris "Superstition"
Elephant Ears "Black Magic"

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2011
9:54 PM

Post #8747891

Dear friends,
Here is a link to my Elvis' thread. He died yesterday and was laid to rest in my back yard today.

Sheri
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2011
9:59 PM

Post #8747902

Sheri, Left a message on your thread. Hugs
Vickie
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

August 11, 2011
1:49 PM

Post #8750671

Ah-h-h, Sheri. That's sad. I'll see if we can come up with something appropriate to plant for him in his final resting place. Is it in sun or shade? Kay insisted on taking Standley's remains home from the vet and burying him under his favorite tree. I did the same for my ferret, Marnie. Marnie's antics got me through the tough times after my divorce. I had no plans to get a pet then, but she stole my heart when the little scoundrel stole my watch. She was still a baby and the watch was almost as big as she was at the time.
That reminds me of a plant you might consider,Carie. I laid Marnie to rest under an old cabbage palm because she liked to play with the tree's hairy trunk. A groundcover of something called "ghost plants" were planted around the tree as a ground cover. Marnie was rough on Kay's ghost plants. It was lucky for Marnie that the plant can grow from a broken leaf on the ground. Rather than destroying the plant, Marnie multiplied it. Kay said since Marnie "planted" most of the ghost plants, she should have them. They are a form of sedum I believe. It wasn't intentional, but the combination of the gray-haired tree and the pale gray/blue/green leaves of the ghost plant made for an eerie look in the fall. .
Kay was wasp stung twice today. My attempts to get rid of the wasp that have made their home between the wood of a planter and its lining have failed so far. I thought I had taken care of them, but they evidently worked together and moved the tube nozzle of the insecticide and the towel I used to keep them from escaping. I succeeded only in ticking them off and making them even more territorial. I'm going to drop the mini-greenhouse down over the entire bed tonight and set off an insecticide bomb inside that. If that doesn't work, I'll have to pay the Terminex man to deal with the problem. The flowers growing in the bed are a welcome site, but will not be for much longer if we can't water the bed. That is what Kay was doing when they attacked. It is finally beginning to dry up some. (Jim)

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 11, 2011
2:52 PM

Post #8750793

Jim,if ou shoot a full stream long enough, it

if you wait until almost pitch dark, they will all be in there for the night. then spray the opening with wasp spray.. Don't know what the towel was for, but I always use a full can and spray for a good length of time before stopping. They cannot fly past the spray & and if you give a good enough blast they willdie..

The silver ghost plant sounds lovely and I believe it is hardy to zone 7.

Thanks for all the tender thoughts for me & Elvis, who was such a special boy.

Sheri & Pookie Presley

This message was edited Aug 12, 2011 8:15 PM

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2011

Post #8752760

Sheri, my thoughts are with you during what must be a difficult time.

We had a similar problem with yellow jackets in a planter. We put the whole pot in a green plastic garbage bag when they were asleep, then sprayed poison in and resealed and ran. (DH had by this time already been stung over 100 times!)

Debra, thank you, thank you thank you, thank you. That's half the work done already!
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

August 13, 2011
5:45 PM

Post #8754597

Debra, I thought you would like to see the color of the new foliage on the rose you sent. I've decided to overlook the fact the blooms are pink. :-)

Thumbnail by seacanepain

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 13, 2011
10:00 PM

Post #8755096

gorgeous color, and heartening to see. thank you. :-) may be pink, but they smell good. LOL
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 14, 2011
11:49 AM

Post #8755974

Lily Auction even better in some ways than eBay. :-) Very soothing to a slightly bruised and lacerated spirit this week. Ain't nothing like retail therapy...

Vino di Notte
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/18806/

Desert Icicle
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/115632/

Dominic
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/260376/

===========================================================================
Jim, seems that multiple seedlings from the same parents may not look exactly the same. Kind of fun to play around with, I think, and most are infinitely less expensive than the parents! I have three unbloomed seedlings coming that are a cross between these two:

Spacecoast Pattern Plus
http://www.mydaylilies.com/daylily-gallery/daylily-images-a-z/s/spacecoast-pattern-plus-john-kinnebrew-2008-10286
Spacecoast Modern Symetry
http://daylilies.net/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=656

Going to be a tossup as to what they look like, but should be at least in the neighborhood of the parents' appearance. Interested in one of them?

Also, bidding on 10 seedlings that are a cross between Halloween Hocus Pocus and an unknown (hybridizer can't read tag [grin]). ABSOLUTE gamble, there! Interested in trying a couple if I win? Here is the Halloween:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/81992/
==========================================================================

Vickie, I KNOW you want one or two of the Halloween seedlings, too, doncha? :-)

Sheri, do you like the Halloween colors? No telling what it will look like, just like having kids LOL, but might be fun for you to see.

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

August 14, 2011
2:33 PM

Post #8756246

Debra, I suggested we might as well call you Amargia’s Ornamental Acquisition Specialist and just send the money earmarked for ornamentals your way. It insures Amargia has pretty flowers and that you get the retail therapy you need even when you start running out of space. LOL.
The Chinese Chaste Tree blooms are a more vivid blue in full sun. (We discovered Vitex negundo DOES have a common name.) The blooms were a baby blue in semi-shade. ~Nadine~

Thumbnail by Sansai87

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8756503

Debra, look what I found!

http://www.glasshouseworks.com/blackgarden.html
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 14, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8756553

very cool, carrie!!

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2011
7:04 AM

Post #8757311

I appreciate all colors including orange and yellow . Just not a fan of that holiday, much preferring to celebrate a fall festival that is not ghoulish.

^_^ Sheri

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2011
3:01 PM

Post #8758085

Actually, it's All Hallows Eve, holy (hallowed=holy) Spirits were abroad because the next day, All Saints Day, is when they go to heaven. Then (historically) people started trying to scare away the evil spirits and welcome in the good ones. They dressed up to scare the evil spirits away so the good ones would be safe. Somehow it evolved into the Hallmark/candy holiday we celebrate with little girls dressing up as ballerinas and princesses and boys as cowboys and superheroes. I read that a third or some huge percent of all candy is sold around Halloween!

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8758157

It is non-the-less rooted in pagan superstition and folklore.

Origins of Halloween

All Hallows' Eve

By David Beaulieu, About.com Guide

See More About:
celtic spirituality
halloween decorations
halloween crafts
jack-o-lantern patterns
carving pumpkins

Even the pumpkins smile during the fun holiday of Halloween.
David Beaulieu
More Images (2)

Sponsored Links

Halloween DecorGet a Halloween Decor Online The #1 Site For Home & Garden Tips.homeshine.com

The History Of HalloweenEverything to do with The History Of HalloweenYahoo.com

Halloween Lawn DecorBuy Quality Halloween Lawn Decor At Low Prices. Huge Selection!www.CostumeExpress.com

Landscaping Ads •Landscaping Gardens
•Halloween
•Front Landscaping
•Best Origin Story
•Landscaping Plans

The pagan origins of Halloween are so palpable that there is little wonder the holiday has generated considerable controversy over the centuries. Falling on October 31, Halloween history tells us that this celebration is only the herald of the holiday that medieval Christian Europeans were intended to celebrate -- All Saints' Day, November 1.

And thus the story behind the term itself, which is short for "the eve before All Hallows' Day," the latter referring to the fact that saints of Christianity were "hallowed" individuals. It is thought that the Church decided All Saints' Day should fall on November 1 to make it coincide with its precursor, a Celtic festival of the harvest. By "overwriting" the pagan origins of Halloween, perhaps the new religion could steal some thunder from the lingering Celtic influence in Europe.

Pagan Origins of Halloween Not So Easily Silenced

But if this was the Church's intention, the strategy backfired to some degree. Drawing on Celtic traditions, people evinced much more interest in honoring dead ancestors than in honoring dead Christian saints. To curb this un-Christian tendency, the Church instituted another holiday to promote Christianity -- All Souls' Day, November 2. On All Souls' Day the people were encouraged to pray for the souls in purgatory.

All Saints' Day was instituted as a holiday in the year A.D. 609 (initially celebrated in May, it was moved to the November 1 date in A.D. 834). Prior to that, a study of the pagan origins of Halloween reveals that the Celts had celebrated "Samhain" at this time of year. The Celts inhabited large portions of Western Europe throughout ancient times. They are perhaps most widely recognized for having been the people Julius Caesar fought in what is now France in his famous Gallic Wars (58-50 B.C.).

Despite this ancient French connection, it is only very recently that France has begun to write any pages for itself in Halloween history. But now the French do celebrate the spooky holiday, replete with the delights derived from dressing up in scary or bizarre costumes. About's French Language Guide, Laura K. Lawless, informs us about the Halloween history in France.

In the modern celebration of Halloween in the U.S., most people essentially enjoy the aspects of the holiday that derive from pagan origins of Halloween, albeit with a secular mindset. Some die-hards of Christianity, however, still vehemently oppose the holiday, harking back to the controversies of medieval times.

and that is all I wil say about this issue. We are all entitled to our own beliefs. I was not in need of any explanation. I am very informed on Pagan hollidays

I thought we were talking about flowers!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2011
4:47 PM

Post #8758216

Wow, you know MUCH more than I thought I did. I'm doing this Halloween Garden article which I hope too many people don't find upsetting.

Armagians, have you heard of a purple sugar cane called 'Black Magic Repellant Plant'? It's even listed that way in PlantFiles.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/112386/
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 15, 2011
5:08 PM

Post #8758237

That's wild, Carrie. Had no idea there were different kinds of sugar cane--or that zone 8 is warm enough to grow it! :-) That one fits right in with the other plants, though. Be interested to read what Amargia folk have to say.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2011
1:41 AM

Post #8758925

I've always liked halloween. Way back when. Things could get a little out of hand. DH and friends were known to turn outhouses upside down.
Some boys in my class took apart an old VW and put it back together on the roof of the highschool. AH YES Those were the good ole days!! LOL

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2011
9:19 AM

Post #8759460

hahaha Vicki!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 16, 2011
5:39 PM

Post #8760061

DEFINITELY a Halloween Hocus Pocus x for both of you! [grin]
===============================================

Okee, the hybridizer included these extra seedling crosses. Won't know what the blooms look like, but again its like seeing kids pop out. Little of this parent, little of that one...I prefer the flatter edges and stronger colors, so these are up for grabs, who ever hollers first until they run out. Bet it won't be Jim, though--most have PINK in them!

2 seedlings of Leslie Renee x Bill Robinson
http://www.daylilymeadows.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2697
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/208002/

3 seedlings of Sweet Tranquility x Some Sweet Day
http://www.floralandhardy.ca/SWEET-TRANQUILITY-DL-p7731.html
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/206702/

1 seedling of Triple Cherries x Worth it All
http://www.daylilies.org/DaylilyDB/detail.php?id=152948&name=Triple%20Cherries
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/129195/

Also, won a couple of mixed lots of unbloomed seedlings, basically to get the one or three I really wanted. Soooo...toss these in the grab pot. Will have one each of these seedlings:

Promise Fulfilled x Holy Guacamole
http://www.mydaylilies.com/daylily-gallery/daylily-images-a-z/p/promise-fulfilled-ted-petit-2006-8327
http://www.dancingdaylily.com/items/HOLY_GUACAMOLE/

Evelyn Kloeris x Barbie in Pink
http://soulesgarden.com/ZenCart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3988
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/263958/

Richard Taylor Yates x Turning up the Heat
http://patrickguidry.com/images/Richard%20Taylor%20Yates%20042109.jpg.JPG
http://www.stardreamerdaylilies.com/daylilyimages/TurningUpTheHeat.jpg

Metallic Butterfly x Tricolor
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/72041/
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/128456/

Jay Farquar x Green Revolution
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/128210/
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/207137/

This message was edited Aug 16, 2011 9:14 PM

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

August 16, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8760212

I think a holiday is what you make it yourself and I’m ruled more by the natural cycles of my part of the world than calendar dates. Halloween here is probably more like most people’s New Year’s Eve celebrations. I’ve never seen the sense in celebrating an arbitrary date like Dec.31st. You’ve got to get rid of the old to make room for the new and Halloween feels like the appropriate time of year for that. It is when nature starts cleaning house and clearing away the old in my region so it seems appropriate. I celebrate Valentine’s Day like New Year’s Day because that is when everything starts greening up and starting anew in my region. (Nope, I’m definitely not a slave to the calendar or tradition. Lol.) My biggest struggle with a holiday is the commercialization of Christmas. That grates on my spiritual nerves. Easter is my favorite holiday, but I enjoy Halloween because to me it is also about re-creation, renewal and new beginnings.
Carrie, Purple sugar cane is a powerful healing and protection symbol in vodin (voodoo) rituals. The color purple is associated with power and wisdom. Plants with purple foliage are often used to combat negative magic. Sugar cane is especially symbolic because it is a symbol of the darkest times, the days of slavery on sugar plantations. Symbolically, purple sugar cane is about turning something dark and terrible into practical wisdom that shields and protects. I don’t know anyone who literally believes purple cane has magical powers in and of itself. I do know people who believe understanding the symbolic meaning of purple sugar cane veils their hearts and minds from the influence of black magic. The symbolism purple cane has been given has power. Does that make sense? I’m probably not explaining it very well.
When planted outside the residence or place of business of a Mambo (voodoo priestess) purple sugar cane is understood to mean the Mambo doesn’t perform any kind of malevolent magic. She is strictly “rada” in her practices.
I love the ornamental and “chewing” canes and they do grow well here. I’ve been looking for Pele’s Smoke. It isn’t readily available here. The chewing and ornamental canes are easy plants once they are established, but they need quite a bit of water in the beginning to become established.
The last two days have been lovely. A slight cool front is moving through the south and we are getting a preview of fall weather. We’ve had the pedal to the metal taking advantage of this break in the weather. Things will go back to normal all too quickly.
Debra, my GS went gaga over “the outer space lily”. lol. I gather it has really bright colors. That is Travis’s thing. California poppy orange and hot pink are his current favorites much to the distress of his Grump-pa and he-man father. This GS says I should call the south side of the children’s garden after him (The Travis Garden). It was his garden first. I might make a real gardener out of him! He informs me I can call the “girlie side” with the playhouse and stuff whatever I want. ROFL. Don’t think Grump-pa and Dad need be concerned. :-) k*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8760302

That explains the 'Black Magic Protection Plant' a lot, Kay. I don't think I will go into that in the article; I'm trying (somehow) to write more about trick-or-treating kids and stay away from the 15 plants named Black Magic. I think. And actually talking more about the plants than their spooky names.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 16, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8760308

Kay, anything an individual or group believes in strongly enough has power, and the purple cane symbolism makes perfect sense. I like the idea of February 14 as New Year's Day. We start 'greening' up around then, too. Think I'll try it next year. Each of the Spacecoast parents have wild colors and patterns. Probably the most distinctive I've ever seen. Should be fun for Travis to see what comes out next spring. :-)

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2011
7:37 PM

Post #8760408

Hi Debra,

Oh I love the ruffled edge lilies, peach , yellow, coral. Would you pick please?. That triple strawberry is gorgeous too.

Any that you send will truly be a blessing in the memorial garden (for my furbies- Elvis, John Henry, Dotty and Baby)

Have a blessed day ^_^

Sheri
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 16, 2011
7:46 PM

Post #8760431

Sheri,

You already have one coming I got specifically for the memorial. A daylily called Elvis Lives. :-) Because he still does live in your memory. (hug)
http://thebloomingauction.com/detail.asp?id=185508&n=ELVIS-LIVES---DF---L7D---Shooter-F-1998---DAYLILY

And I will set aside at least one each of the Leslie Renee x Bill Robinson, and Sweet Tranquility x Some Sweet Day for you, plus some of the zillions of others I have and am eager to share. The more I share with others, the more I have for myself. Not to mention, the more room I have to get morrrrrrre. LOL

Debra
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

August 16, 2011
9:54 PM

Post #8760632

Probably a good call, Carrie. Halloween is getting darker and meaner. I read somewhere Yuletide celebrations were once outlawed in England because the celebrations got too rowdy and offensive. I'm afraid Halloween will eventually met that fate in this country. Some places have outlawed Trick-o-treating already.
You should have no trouble sugar coating a Halloween/Plant article to celebrate the mischievous fun holiday people our age remember. It should be easy since it iss such a sugar-coated holiday anyway. I bet there are lots of plants named for classic Halloween treats like candy corn.
Kay hasn't left tradition entirely behind. She still thinks she has to have Hoppin' John or some combination of rice and blackeyed peas on Jan. 1st. lol. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. (JIm)

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2011
3:50 AM

Post #8760773

Debra,

I love the daylily called Elvis Lives. It actually brought a tear to my eye. and You are right...He does live on in my heart.

When Pookie & I start obedience classes again in a few weeks, there will likely be more than 1 who asks, is That Elvis?!?

I mean they could have been twins, except for the 11 year age difference

Sheri & Pookie, Dogwood deKatt, Marley, Sara & new little Chester
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

August 17, 2011
8:17 PM

Post #8762214

A brief jump back to purple foliage plants. Would anyone like some "Purple Queen'. It is hardy in ground in Zone 8 and some say 7. It is used as a groundcover and low accent here, but, I think its used a lot as a container plant elsewhere.
I'm moving it out of the Cando Garden in favor of rose periwinkle, soapwort, Chinese forget-me-nots and the ever-present pink sorrel. I've put some in the "Travis Garden" :-), but don't have another place for it in mind. It likes a little shade in this region.
I think daylily breeding would be fun. It seems logical that if you bred two early, reblooming, very fragrant daylilies like 'Metallic Butterfly' and 'Tricolor', the offspring will have those traits, but there are bound to be surprises. I doubt many are unpleasant surprises though. There just aren't many ugly daylilies. Are you going to try your hand at it, Debra? ~N~
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2011
11:06 PM

Post #8762360

I know what you mean about the commercial part of Christmas. So I go out of my way to uncommercialize it. I ring the bell for the Salvation Army and i wish everyone Merry Christmas or Feliz Navidad or Happy Quanza.I do a few other things I figure the Lord expects of me.I love Christmas.This year I'm decorating completely different.With small birdhouses and birds.The birdhouses will symbolise the gifts of the Magi and the birds will be my angels.
I'll have Nativity scenes all over the house.Not sure yet if I'll get a new angel or Nativity scene this year.
I do not like Easter. The thought of Jesus dieing a painful death on a cross tears me up.I am not worth it.Enough said.
Kay, I'd love some purple cane if you could spare some.They were selling regular cane as potplants at Lowes last year.
My pink sorrel has finally quit blooming. I have injoyed it.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 18, 2011

Post #8762879

Nadine, breeding is too much work. I'll take the unbloomed seedlings. The hybridizers send along paper work if you want so YOU can name and register it with the AHS. But I am bidding on some seeds. Never had a lot of luck with that, but will be fun if I can get any of them to bloom.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2011
9:00 AM

Post #8762986

Debra, the ‘Metallic Butterfly’ x ‘Tricolor’ sounds like a sure winner…for fragrance lovers anyway. .
Flower breeding might be fun, but it also requires arduous record keeping, timing and, without all the high teck, extreme patience. It would have to be a working garden because I believe you have to deny access to the bees after you fertilize a plant. Covering the bloom or banding the bloom shut. Not something you are likely to do in your front yard.
STILL haven’t finished the ramp. I’ve decided to dedicate one day a week to nothing but work on the ramp. I did bite off more than I can easily chew with this project, but I continue to gnaw at it. Still think it will be worth the effort since, once finished, it will be almost maintenance-free. Maintaining a wood ramp was a constant struggle in our humidity. Metal gets too hot now that a large tree has been removed and the space receives full sun.
Jim is working inside today on another door. This place was designed and manufactured in the 80’s when an open airy look was popular. There has never been a door between the master bedroom and the master bath. Privacy was achieved by angles. When the Jacuzzi is on, the heat and steam bleed into the bedroom. The problem will be worse when the roll-in shower is installed.
Nadi is immersed in money-making work today and, hopefully, some house cleaning in her area. Neatness and Nadi are anonyms. :-) k*
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 18, 2011
1:44 PM

Post #8763383

That one is yours, then, Kay. :-) You are right about the record keeping and I'm in this for fun. Maybe if I get to the place I can afford to retire, might consider it then.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 18, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8763816

Oh, my goodness! I get two more plants from Bob Selman at Blue Ridge and he sends four bonuses:

Bradley Bernard
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/287151/

Cat’s Pajamas
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/147852/

Watchyl Arsonist
http://www.ctdaylily.com/images/watchlyl_arsonist_maybe.JPG

Strawberry Jazz
http://www.thebloomingauction.com/detail.asp?id=110531

Robin Calderon at Earlybird sent this one:

Double River Wye
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/315016/

This message was edited Aug 18, 2011 9:22 PM
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 19, 2011
12:19 AM

Post #8764117

Debra, You're going to have enough lillys to start your own business. Are we going to hear about the daylillys that ate Dallas? LOL
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 19, 2011
7:51 AM

Post #8764569

mebbe. if they eat all of dallas, then there will be less traffic and garland's air will be cleaner! {grin}

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 19, 2011
8:31 AM

Post #8764635

btw, My step-son and his family are moving to Dallas somewhere, eventually. Daddy went first to start the new job, Mommy is staying home with the 4 kids in Nowhere Special, UT, to sell the house. So I may be able to meet Debra some day!!!

This message was edited Aug 19, 2011 10:32 AM
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

August 19, 2011
11:20 AM

Post #8764887

Okay, Sheri, you're the holdout. Shake your family tree and see if any relatives in the Dallas/Fort Worth area fall out. LOL. .
Debra, the form of ‘Bradley Bernard’ looks different from most. Kinda cool. I have a DL question. The DL’s you’ve sent look lush and they are spreading, but there haven’t been any flowers. Am I doing something wrong or is it normal for them to want to become fully established before they flower. I know MK sometimes removes buds from shrubs the first year after transplant. She says it encourages them to focus their effort on developing good roots. She says species DL’s naturally do that. Species DL’s rarely bloom the year after transplant. But, MK admits she knows little about the modern hybrids and a lady from church said it might be because there is too much nitrogen in the soil. Do hybrid DL’s take breaks and work on their root systems the way the species types do?
Carrie, did you ever write an article on Community Supported Agriculture? PJ remembered reading a CSA article on DG and he thought you were the writer, but couldn't remember for sure. I’m looking for info on CSA’s. I don’t think I entirely understand the CSA concept. PJ has been talking about applying the CSA concept to ornamentals. He calls it CSOG. Like sending Debra more money to buy daylilies and getting daylilies from her a year or two down the line after they’ve started multiplying would be a case of Community Supported Ornamental Gardening. When someone gives MK seeds or potting soil to grow a shrub or perennial for them because they aren’t good at growing things from seed and she gives them back transplant size plants that is also a kind of CSOG, even though no actual money changes hands. When my friend, Scott, who isn’t able to garden at all, buys Amargia a Magnolia fig and we give him most of the figs, does that mean Amargia is engaging in small-scale CSA? Maybe, it would be called CSH (Community Supported Horticulture). Since Agriculture implies larger scale food production.
Vickie, I know MK is going to buy ‘Pele’s Smoke’ now that she knows a source. You might want to wait for that one. The common, local purple cane is okay, but not as pretty as Pele’s. The stalk AND leaves are purple on PS. Only the stalk is purple on the variety we have. I’ll underplant your container with some ‘Purple Queen’ tradescantia and you’ll be set up. Lol.
If you look in the produce department of large grocery stores around Christmas, you may see stalks of raw cane. If you want to experiment with the classic commercial sugar cane, it roots very easily. MK renewed Amargia’s sugar cane supply one year after cold wiped it out by buying a couple of stalks from the grocery store in Dec. It will root everywhere it is jointed. She cut the 5’ lengths they sell in the grocery store into segments and rooted each segment. ~Nadine~
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 19, 2011
11:58 AM

Post #8764952

Nadine, it is common for some DLs to not flower first year. If they have just been divided, the "babies" may take more time, if just divided and a hot summer comes along, if too shaded, etc. And it could be nitrogen, they seem to like it. This excerpt is from Dan Trimmer, a really fah-mus hybridizer. I do not baby daylilies, but check this out:

"We must understand that our daylilies are not typical perennials. With most of our flowering plants a “balanced” diet is recommended lest we get too much leaf and little bloom. Thus 10-10-10 or 6-6-6- fertilizing programs are recommended. This is not the case with Daylilies. Daylilies are in the family of plants known as monocots. They’re in the same plant family as ornamental grasses or corn!"

Which is cool information and may explain why I like them so much--I LOVE fresh corn on the cob AND ornamental grasses!! LOL

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 19, 2011
8:59 PM

Post #8765689

Nadene, I want the purple one you have, cause of the blessing plant . I love plants that have special meanings.
Debra, I have daylilly seed that are just getting ripe. Do you want them? My very last daylilly is just opening its last bud. I thought they had all quit, but this one surprised me.
How does one ship DL seeds?
Sheri, I'll be your sister than you can come and meet the rest of the family.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 20, 2011
7:56 AM

Post #8766104

Vicki, thank you, but I think I am surfeited for the time being. [grin]

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2011
11:52 PM

Post #8767963

Uh...Vickie,

that sounds fun, but I already thought we were sisters!???

LOL,
Sheri

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2011
1:12 PM

Post #8769047

You guys are adorable!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8769368

Sheri, Of course we are.
Carrie, Of course we are. All of us,You too.
I think Jim,Kay and Nadene ought to have a family reunion for us.Don't you? Just imagine laying on the beach,discussing the merits of their different gardens. Planning where they could put the swimming pool.Boy could we have fun teasing our little brother Jim.LOL
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

August 21, 2011
7:25 PM

Post #8769681

Hm-m-m, excluding Nadine, am I the youngest? I think I'm a few months younger than Carrie. I'll be 50 in November. (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 21, 2011
7:26 PM

Post #8769684

You iz younger'n me...

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2011
3:07 PM

Post #8771522

I became officially antique in May, so yes, Jim, you're younger than I am. But look on the list of names thread - someone there might be younger and lurking. ^_^
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

August 22, 2011
7:34 PM

Post #8772031

PJ went to the doctor today for sleep medication so he will look as young as he is. (Sorry, but at the moment, he looks OLDER than MK so she can't joke about having a toy boy. They wouldn't give him sleeping pills. The doctor said any med that would allow him 8 hours of sleep uninterrupted would turn him zombie. They are trying a double dose of the neuropathy medication to see if that helps. He can get to sleep, but the pain and spasms wake him up a lot. They've also put him on a high dosage of potassium for some reason. I hope this works.
"LAYING on the beach", Vickie. Ha! Dream on! Kay would have us working gathering seaweed for soil amendments (You can blame Katiebear for that. She’s the one that tipped Kay off to the garden uses of seaweed.) After that, if you pick up a sand pail full of broken shells, MK will buy you an ice cream. (That has always been my experience anyway.) The broken shells are brought home and used to add more calcium to the soil or keep slugs away or something. Of course, she will encourage you to try some surf fishing or fishing off the pier and be thrilled when you catch something no matter how edible the fish is. Gotta have fish to get the corn to grow big and strong, you know.
My Da said, when I was 4, I told him that corn grew from fish. I guess I saw MK bury the fish for the corn, but missed the part where she planted the seed. :-) ~N~
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2011
11:26 PM

Post #8772310

Theres been a lot of gripeing by the medical assoc. That dr.s had been over prescribing pain and sleep meds so naturally the big brains now underprescribe.Really hope it helps Jim.
Don't go on a strict low sodium diet if you are taking potassium. Gotta keep that sodium -potassium level balanced. Bananas are high in K and good to eat.
I sure get bossy sometimes. LOL

I've always wanted to try the fish with corn plants but love fish too much and it never makes it to the cornfield.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 23, 2011
8:25 AM

Post #8772736

i have a condition that destabilizes my sodium-potassium balance. low potassium can cause all kinds of cramping and painful body complaints. if he is getting the potassium because of a deficiency, it might ease the spasms and such. hope it helps. (hug to everyone)
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

August 23, 2011
2:09 PM

Post #8773324

Bananas as medicine. I like that. Bananas and grapes are my favorite fruits. My potassium was only a few points from being critically low so that is probably a big part of the problem. The blood pressure medication I'm on removes potassium from the body. Potassium levels will be something I'll have to watch as long as I'm on it. I love the way they tell you this stuff.
Traded some muscadine grape seeds for some European muscat grape seeds. In the name of International garden trade relations, I need to eat some muscadines so I have the seeds to send. It's a tough job but someone has to do it. ;-)Jim
'Ham & Eggs' Lantana

Thumbnail by seacanepain

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 23, 2011
2:54 PM

Post #8773390

avocados and oranges have loads of potassium too
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

August 23, 2011
8:03 PM

Post #8773925

Guacamole, here I come!
"Fall fever" hit Kay a little early this year She had me put up the first scarecrow. Nadine's crow friend wasn't impressed. That crow is so comfortable with people it's a little creepy. Nadine showed me an article about corvus (crows, ravens, jays, rooks and a few others.). They rank among the most intelligent of animals. I thought it was impressive that not only are they tool users, some are tool makers. Kay talks to the crow. She says they can learn to speak as well as parrots. Her uncle had one that could talk. I going to find out if she is putting me on. The article didn't mention that. It did say they can recognize individuals. It's loud when I'm around. I wonder if that means it doesn't like me. (Jim)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2011
9:22 PM

Post #8775565

LOL Jim have you got a witches crow? Do you need a black cat?
I'm making myself wait till Sept before i put up any scarecrows. Mine are small and for decoration only.
There is a cold front due in tomorrow.Temps in the 80,s and lows in the 60,s

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2011
10:04 AM

Post #8776200

Crow is just mad because Jim doesn't acknowledge him. Nadi sings for him and I talk to him. He only gets raucous if you ignore him. Having crows around is a good sign. They are like the canaries in the coal mine when it comes to West Nile virus. West Nile has wiped out almost half the crow population. They are very susceptible.
This was my "scarecrow tree" decoration, not an official scarecrow. I was sorting through my Halloween decorations and thought I would go ahead and put it up. Fall planting has started so I'm in an Autumn mood.
Jim is continuing with his deck farm. Carrots and lettuce went into the porch rail planter. I'm preping for the in-ground crops. Nadine is cleaning house without being asked to. (Will miracles never cease)!

Thumbnail by Amargia

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8776880

Jim, are you taking gabepentin (neurontin)? DH and I both take that. I take 13 times his dose though!
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

August 25, 2011
7:01 PM

Post #8777075

Yes, Gabapentin is the med the doctors want me to double up on at night. That brings my daily dosage up to 1,200 mgs. (Jim)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2011
10:31 PM

Post #8777397

I took gaba once. Think it was when I had that stroke.
Love your scarecrow! I'm determned to wait till Sept 1st for mine. I hate to hear about the crows. I don't want to lose any species.
Carrie, Hang on tight this weekend. We'll be thinking about you.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 26, 2011
7:46 AM

Post #8777825

We haven't had any West Nile Cases reported so far this year. Mosquito population down from the drought, so maybe?
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

August 26, 2011
9:37 AM

Post #8778052

A quick note to let you inow I'm still alive and OK. Puter is dead, one a/c is dead, the other maybe dying. We've had a little rain which has raised the humidity but probably saved some plants. We've had a couple of bbad blackouts. It's the time of year when everything that has been waiting to go wrong, does.

I'm headed to Ca. next week or the week after.

Tony and I are hanging in - hope you all are, too.

hugs, katie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 26, 2011
4:22 PM

Post #8778596

Hi Katie!

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2011
6:02 AM

Post #8779315

Hi Katie!

I am home from my week in the hosp for IV antibiotics; spider bite (looks like brown recluse, followed by horrible MRSA infection.
I am blessed to be alive and not missing any parts. All the credit and praise Of course I give to God.

Prayers for all in Irenes path, especially that eyes will be opened to the truth of God's prophesy. He desires all to come to Him and none be lost, but He did give us free will to make our own choice.

Hugs,,
Sheri

PS. I am not trying to open a debate, just felt I had to express my beliefs and opinion. 1st the VA earthquake and now this probably devastating hurricane. Our eyes are trying to be opened to the truth.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2011
2:14 PM

Post #8779944

Sheri,So glad you're home and recouping, and still have all your parts.
I'm thinking about Irene and everyone in its path. I was concerned about you, did'nt know how far you were from the coast.
We need to think about Carrie, She's not that far from the coast.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

August 27, 2011
2:16 PM

Post #8779949

I've gone through periods like that, Katiebear. I don't know anything to do except just keep putting one foot in front of the other. I want someone to manufacture the kind of stuff Carrie mentioned recently. You know, the indestructible stuff that is so safe babies can teeth on it. :-)
Battery chargers have been giving me grief lately. I bought one on sale from PCH, but it didn't come with a power adapter and it was 6 volt AC. A real oddball made in China. PCH sent me another one of the same kind and it exploded. It literally blew apart. I bought one of those 15 minute chargers from Radio Shack and the power adapter burnt out ONE WEEK after it was out of warranty. They've changed design and they don't carry that type of Power adapter anymore so even though the base unit was okay, I had to buy an entirely new charger. I just bought another one from Radio Shack with a standard power adapter that charges in 2 hours. So far, so good.
Yesterday was a very productive day, but it exhausted all of us. We are spuding today. Things have started blooming again. Lantana, Rose of Sharon, Purple coneflower, sunflowers and black-eyed Susans have carried the week. The common cosmos are hanging in. There are some things from a cutting mix Vickie sent me and a wildflower mix someone gave Kay that have buds. I copied the list of flowers in the mixes so IDing them should be easy when they bloom. The rose periwinkle are still going strong, but it is if-y that they will make it through the winter. We will do what we can to see we have those next year.
Tomatoes and 'Sugar Baby' watermelon are still producing. Figs still aren't ripe. We will divide up that tree and move some off-shoots to a warmer place on the south side of the property. We have some dramatic micro-climates because of the stream and the lay of the land. I think we inadvertently found another cool pocket. (Jim)

Thumbnail by seacanepain

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2011
5:40 PM

Post #8780195

I'm quite alive, just a little damp around the edges so far.

Jim, I take 3900 mgs -- and the total recommended daily max is 3600 but my MD said to add the ectra 300 at night. Helped for a while. Jim, I think gaba is a drug you develop a tolerance for -- when DH started on it, he started on 300 at bedtime and he was a zombie (is that the word you used too?) within minutes. Now it doesn't help him sleep at all.

Does that lantana come true from seed? I'll go find it. 'Ham'n'Eggs', right above us. Is that a bushy or a trailing? I love the ones that are maybe orange and pink or orange and red - most of the ones they have up here are plain yellow. Come to think of it though, my husband is very sensitive too it (and lawn grass and weeds and every other thing in the world). Last time I had Lantana, I put it in a container in the middle of all the containers where he really couldn't reach it. But the FIRST time I had lantana, I had the trailing kind, and planted in the ground where it scrambled all around among everything. I think it was maybe the first year we had that bed, so there weren't that many weeds, and it was when Ray was only working normal hours so we would spend time outside together. He would get a horrible rash from the lantana. But I still love it.

This message was edited Aug 27, 2011 8:07 PM

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

August 27, 2011
7:40 PM

Post #8780380

I have a problem with lantana too. But, there are few plants able to produce as many blooms in unamended soil in high summer. I can't find a satisfactory replacement for it. The garden would be dreary in July and August without it. Ive been careful about gloves and long sleeves when I work that bed and haven't had a problem this year. I guess it will stay. The scent of the foliage is so distinctive it isn't hard for me to avoid contact. 'Ham & Eggs' is an upright that is almost the size of a small bush here. I think it would make a nice standard. I can't interest Nadi or Jim in the project though. Jim says Amargia isn't the place for "poodle plants". :-) At least, not at this point in our development. Later, maybe. Fortunately for the look of the late summer garden, Jim doesn't have a reaction to it. Some breeders have taken an interest in lantana of late so we should be seeing more varieties very soon. I would like to try some of a trailing type for hanging baskets in sunny areas. I've limited my hanging baskets to shady spots because I just can't find anything other than sedums and cacti that can thrive in the sun even watering once a day.
Glad you are better, Sheri. Spider bites aren't anything to mess with. It took almost a year for a bite on my leg to heal. It left quite a scar. k*
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2011
11:55 PM

Post #8780569

I did'nt know lantana caused an alergy problem.Thats sad cause its such a hardy plant.
Vonnes been having spiderbite problems with her animals.We're gonna sprey all around next spring. We also have a problem this year with tent worms and were told to sprey in the spring to get rid of them.
My pink shamrocks are blooming again.Guess they like this cooler weather.Me too.
Thank you Kay for giving me the idea to decorate for fall now.I put a fall leaf spray on my computer.My 2 harvest angels are in the living room.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 28, 2011

Post #8781235

I didn't either. Maybe that is what makes my forearms itch sometimes. Will experiment. Have New Gold in a couple of places, a fluorescent orange/red, and trailing lavender. Check this out. The Dianthus had survived in this pot, winter freezes or summer heat, for five years. The trailing Lantana was put in as tee-eye-nee plugs this year. Which one is all crispedy-crunchy and which one is surviving what may be the hottest Dallas summer on record? :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

seacanepain
Midland City, AL

August 28, 2011
12:02 PM

Post #8781372

'Ham & Egss' is said to be sterile. I'm not sure the seeds are 100% sterile, but it isn't enough viavility to worry about. We had them in well amended soil the first year and found some new plants in the bed the second year after we had moved them elsewhere. We aren't even sure they grew from seed. It could have been small root pieces. Considering how many seeds are produced and how much birds like them, we would have lantana everywhere if they were viable.
The foliage and unripe seeds being poisonous is an advantage in some garden situations. They are safe from browsing deer, yet you get tons of bird and butterfly activity. They are a good honey plant at a time of year when forage for the bees is scarce.
I've heard lantana has become a nightmare in certain parts of Australia. It doesn't sound like Lantana camara though.
Any rain or breaks in the heat for you, Debra? Kay's sister in Houston says the grass she worked so hard to get perfect crunches under foot now. Her other sister in Bowie lives by a lake so has fared somewhat better. (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 28, 2011
1:10 PM

Post #8781467

nooo...sad sigh...

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 28, 2011
9:16 PM

Post #8782245

I've decided that pots may be a good way to plant. I have to water them anyway and they bloom and last longer.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2011
6:59 AM

Post #8782740

My prayers are going up for everyone affected by hurricane Irene. Carrie, are you OK??
I'm having kind a bit of a tough time at home by With only dry dressings, I don't qualify for a nurse, yet I am not steady enough to bath or cook,etc.
It will all work out though.
Ha Ha, my friends at church are calling me "spider woman"

Sheri
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

August 29, 2011
10:27 AM

Post #8783116

Our electrician was able to fix the dead a/c and boost up the dying one - home visit cost $25. Love Mexican labor costs, especially from honest people I deal with regularly.

We've had three light rains and two big winds. Lots of leaves and branches to clean up and toss in arroyo, gradually expanding my little hill top.

Still without a computer but most grateful for a/c and local internet cafe.

Sheri - eat ice cream and wear perfume.

hugs, katie

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

August 29, 2011
4:06 PM

Post #8783669

As long as your not climbing the walls, Sheri. Are you able to reach the site of the bite to keep it cleaned and dressed? Don't know what I would do without Jim and Nadi to assist me with the things I can't do for myself anymore.
BTW, Sheri, do you have any Eastern Red Cedar in your yard? The reason I ask is I just discovered they are the favorite tree of eastern bluebirds. That may not be new news to you, but I've been moving some babies and reading up on them. Sometimes, the very fact that something is commonplace in your world creates its own sort of ignorance. I've grown up with red cedar and never bothered to learn about them. I've always just thought of them as Christmas trees.
It's still hot, though not as bad as it was. I've been watching gardening videos and listening to pod cast when I come inside to catch my breath and cool off. Came across this one on the Horticulture magazine website and thought it was interesting. It's a conversation between the author of "Wicked Plants" and the creator of the garden exhibition the book inspired.
http://www.hortmag.com/horticulture-radio/radiogarden-episode-6-friend-or-foe-part-i
Jim painted the north side of the house today, the backdrop for the CanDo Garden. After debating every color in the spectrum, we painted it...white. lol.
Found what appear to be white morning glories blooming in an area slated for clearing. They are growing in full shade and the vines aren't growing aggressively. These I have got to rescue. k*
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 29, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8783904

Kay, Could your white morning glorys possible be Moonflowers? We have some wild moonflowers that bloom in the late evenings to nextday. big white morningglory type flowers.
I have cedar trees. I think the birds planted them. I'm an ugly woman.I don't get limbs from them,I get them from the forest.I love the smell of fresh cedar. Is'nt it really a juniper? Carrie, we need an article about cedar for christmas. LOL
Tomorrow I take DD to Little Rock to see GS,than on to Texas.Will be gone a couple days.
Katie, Know you appreciated the rains.
Know Sheri got more than enough.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

August 29, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8783905

Trailing lavender, Debra? For real! We have prostrate rosemary, but I've never heard of trailing lavender.
Vickie, I think Harvest Angels are a cool idea. I will try drawing one. ~N~

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 29, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8783923

All right! Mine are carrying baskets of small pumpkins and grapes.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8784025

Hi all,

I am actually much closer to the western central of NC about 2 counties below VA. We did have wind gusts and a bit of rain, but not even enough to affect my outdoor hanging plants..

??ice cream & perfume...Katie??

I love and cherish all of my DG friends,
Sheri & Pookie & the kitties

wrong picture! I was trying to post one that showed how exact Elvis & Pookie's profiles looked alike. Don't know who this cat is, bit he is fast as the wind!

Thumbnail by BirdieBlue

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 29, 2011
7:45 PM

Post #8784104

Will have three extra each of these seedlings:

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 29, 2011
7:45 PM

Post #8784107

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 29, 2011
7:46 PM

Post #8784110

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2011
7:57 PM

Post #8784133

Each are lovely ,Debra.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

August 30, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8785792

I like 166 best. 277 is serene and calming. 22 looks like me. Like it hasn't had enough sleep and has racoon eyes. ;-)
Nadine painted an inside-out tire pot blue with a red stripe around it for my Old Soldiers Garden. I was thinking of putting some candytuf in it. It survives well into winter here. Think that would grow in a large pot? (Jim)
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

August 30, 2011
7:23 PM

Post #8785926

That was good info in your last article, Carrie. I will print the list of what should be stored where for how long and magnet it to the fridge as a reminder. PJ is talking about putting the blackboard back up for keeping a running list of what’s in the fridge. He says we are wasting energy when we have the door open for a long time checking what we have. I have to admit it is not the most efficient meal planning strategy.
I like 277 best, Debra. It makes me think of spring frost. 22 is an interesting shade. . ~N~
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 31, 2011
7:19 AM

Post #8786652

A 166 and a 277 for Amargia, then. :-)

Don't know why it wouldn't grow in a pot, Jim. What is the worst that can happen if you try and it doesn't work? :-D
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

September 4, 2011
11:15 AM

Post #8792840

Amargia's Ornamental landscape by Debra’s Daylily Nursery. :-) Thanks again.
Vickie, I guess our mystery vine COULD be a moonflower. It has no scent, but that doesn’t mean much. I’d always heard about the wonderful fragrance of moonflowers so I bought Kay a pack of seed. They had no scent and hated our summer heat. It was a Martha Stewart brand so I thought it would be “a good thing.” (Sorry, I couldn’t resist.) The next ones I buy will come from a nursery that specializes in fragrant plants based in the south, not someone based in New England.
Started buying plants for fall planting. A new fig, Improved Celeste’, and some Italian Jasmine which is hardy here without winter protection. For the veggie garden, turnips and spinach. I added Gollum Fingers’ (aka, Hobbit Jade, Jade tree, Dollar tree, Cassula ovate ‘Gollum’) to the houseplant collection, but it is marginally hardy here so Kay will eventually add some to the Mer-matron’s Garden. It has the look of something that might be found under the sea. That is Kay’s special realm and she says she’s too old for a Mermaid Garden. :-) She didn’t respond well to our suggestion that it be called the “Old Sea Witch” Garden.” (Jim)
Woodland Mystery Vine--Morning Glory?

Thumbnail by seacanepain

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2011
1:29 PM

Post #8792987

I don't think so.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

September 4, 2011
1:56 PM

Post #8793032

Trying my hand at growing daylily seeds. Knew I had a reason to keep the sawed off Gatorade bottle tops and that bent up peony cage. :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

September 4, 2011
4:58 PM

Post #8793296

Please tell me poison ivy doesn’t have pretty white flowers! It just occurred to me I have no idea what a PI flower looks like and I know there is PI in that area.

Wow, that's inventive, it seems most of us eventually fall prey to the seedier side of gardening, Debra. You miss out on some majorly cool stuff if you only do plants. The bees made my gardening seedy because you need to do mass plantings for them. I quickly learned that even if I were able to find good honey plants at a nursery, buying plants would be prohibitively expensive since I would need so many.
~Nadine
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2011
9:05 PM

Post #8793628

Definately NOT poison ivy.PI is my most prolific plant.
How many is so many? They love my catnip.So do my cats.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

September 5, 2011
8:30 PM

Post #8795378

That’s good to know, Vickie, since I transplanted some. :-) I don’t know what a PI flower looks like either.
I would like Nadine to get more catnip for the Bee Corner. Her ladies are getting defensive about the catnip in the CanDo Container Garden. They don’t seem to like the chive and basil flowers quite so much.
I need another hummingbird feeder with the longer necks on the “flowers”. The bees are hitting the feeder hard and keeping the birds away. With the longer necks, the hummers will be able to drink, but the buzzers won’t be able to gain access.
There was some impressive rolling thunder today. I’ve never heard it go on so long. Kay went out for awhile between rains, but didn’t stay out long. There was quite a bit of wind. A few minutes of being pelted by cones and other pine tree debris led her to the conclusion today was an exclusively inside day AND the pines have to go. (There are still two that are dangerously close to the house. Pines are a bad tree to have close where wind and lightning are an issue. The old-timers go so far as to say that pines “draw” lightning. I don’t know about that, but they are brittle. There will be plenty of clean up when things clear up.
We were without power, but only for a few hours. I need to get our emergency preparedness back up to spec. We have all the necessary things. A gas generator, lots of flashlights and candles and lanterns. A wind-up emergency radio. Plenty of drinking water since we have a Culligan water cooler in the office and only get delivery once a month. (I never complain about the space the spare cooler bottles take up when we have bad weather….just all the rest of the times. lol.) Things had gotten very disorganized lately, however. I’ve been feeling so out of it, I haven’t been keeping up with the maintenance on the generator. A generator isn’t much good if you can’t get it to start. Flashlights are no good without charged batteries nor are candles if you can’t remember where the matches or lighter are. I just plain forgot where I had stashed the wind-up radio. We spent most of the day organizing our emergency gear.
Man! I wish I could send some of this rain out Texas way. I think Mother Nature is going through a crisis and needs some Lexapro, or Valium, or maybe just a nice cup of Tension Tamer herbal tea.
I remember once when Kay lost her temper when her mother was around. It was all I could do to keep from laughing when Miss Helen said, “Don’t you go having one of your hissy fits on me young lady. I brought you into this world, Girl. I CAN take you out.” Kay calmed immediately.
Does anyone know where to find GRANDMA Nature? (Jim)

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2011
9:43 AM

Post #8795926

Jim, you are just too funny
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

September 6, 2011
4:36 PM

Post #8796565

:-)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2011
11:17 PM

Post #8797053

Jim,I'll make some catnip tea and go pour it on the ground. Maybe that will calm mother nature down,
I'm really worried about those Texas folks,They don't seem to be able to stop those fires.I've got kin near 2 of those fires.
I've used Miss Helens threat on my two before.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2011

Post #8797506

Rock on, Miss Helen!

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

September 9, 2011
9:57 AM

Post #8800630

She had to be tough. 6 of the 8 of us took after our father in height. We towered over her by the time we were 10 or 11. I never understood how such a small woman could have such an intimidating presence, but she manage it.
#3 sister lives in Weimer which is between San Antonio, Austin and Houston. She tells me smoke from the fires is beginning to affect the air quality in Houston. So far, the warnings are only for the elderly and those with breathing problems.
It is beautiful outside at Amargia today,, but we are all taking an inside day. The Mind and Spirit want to be out there, but the body rebels. It is virtually impossible for me to be outside without working. I go outside with the intention of passively taking in the beauty. Then, I notice some weeds or some spent blooms. I start pulling weeds or deadheading and it goes downhill from there. Perhaps, I’ll find it easier to stop and simply appreciate when the landscape is further along and the things that need doing aren’t so in my face. It is good I honestly enjoy the work process. That, for me, it is like active appreciation. For a person interested only in the end result, gardening would be a fiendish sort of trap. I’ll reserve passive appreciation for that point in the future when active appreciation is more of a pain than a joy. I can always appreciate someone else’s garden for the present. :-)
Jim built another planter for his “deck farm.” It only needs painting and finish work now. I’m not sure what he can plant in the shady, NW side of the deck. Edible varieties of ferns for fiddlehead salad? Lettuces or a new variety of mint might work. Both are shade tolerant, though not shade loving. Since he has taken the plunge and eaten herb flowers like chives. I guess I could try to persuade him to plant calendula for its edible flowers and reach a compromise on the edible/ornamental issue. I wonder if it was the edibility of daylilies that sold him on hemerocallis. :-) He doesn’t eat the daylilies. I think it is just the idea that he could. :-)
ROFL. So much for my day inside. A package of plants just arrived from Almost Eden. They look healthy and happy it would be a shame to leave them in their little shipping pots until tomorrow. I’m just going to plant them and come right back inside. Really, I will. I can do it. I know I can. k*
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

September 9, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8801148

Two fans of a bonus daylily arrived today. Miss Vicki or Miss Sheri, would either or both of you care for one of these?

Exotic Rings
http://www.hemnut.com/frames/aindex.html
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8801380

I would like one Debra.
This cold still has me down.I did some sit down cleaning.Think I'm getting tired of chicken soup and orange juice.Need a pizza!! Maybe I'm better. LOL

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2011
4:49 AM

Post #8801866

Debra, i would love one. It will be planted over my dear departed Elvis' resting place.
Love ya Lady,
Sheri
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

September 10, 2011
7:05 AM

Post #8802007

Sheri, I think it will look nice with the Elvis Lives daylily I have for you. Will be sending yours out next week.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8803712

Oh Debra, that is just so kind of you. Even Brought a tear to my eyes.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

September 11, 2011
12:43 PM

Post #8803738

Vicki, you ready to receive some daylilies yer ownself?

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8804142

Did I tell you all about being in the hospital 1 week after a Brown Recluse spider bite that got infected with MRSA ? I'm fine now. Home nursing and CNA's ended Friday.
I am very blessed Sheri
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2011
7:30 PM

Post #8804275

We've been thinking about you Sheri.

Sho nuff Debra.
Vickie
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

September 11, 2011
9:24 PM

Post #8804433

Let's test to see if you are fully recovered, Sheri. Have you had any sudden impulse to take up spinning, crochet, macrame or anything like that? ;-) We are waiting for a shipment of parrot tulips to arrive. PJ wants to include a few of those bulbs in this shipment to you. I hope it isn't too cool there the first of Oct. That is probably when it will be mailed out.
You have lots of company, Vickie. I went on base with PJ when he had his hair cut this week and it seemed like every other person at the PX was coughing and sniffling. MK is feeding me so much garlic and anti-inflammatory herbs to help my foot heal faster I'm not worried I caught anything., I don't think cold or flu germs would have a chance with me. Vampires sure won't be a problem. Good thing I like garlic and onions.
Did you get the car you were considering, Debra?
The doctor said MK needed to keep her injured hand out of the dirt a few days. (We are a gimpy bunch here lately.) PJ has had her chained to the computer and locked on to the new Amargia website. She would rather do the gardening than write about it, but she is still the better writer among us. I don't have the organizational skills to create a website. Once everything is in place I'll do my part, but for now MK is turning over care of the CanDo Container Garden entirely to me so she has more time to write. I can recognize all the herbs now and I can sit to care for it. We are bouncing around the idea of givin accessibility ratings to local public gardens. I've been elected for that task if we decide to do it. Roll around in a w/c and look at pretty things. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it. lol. ~N~

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2011
5:12 AM

Post #8804674

Nadine,

Parrot tulips would be most welcome. There is not much that I can think of that I would turn away! ^_^

Anyone want any red (or white) Cypress Vine (hummingbird vine? I have mostly red and seeds are setting fast.

Sheri
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

September 12, 2011
8:06 AM

Post #8804942

Nadine, I am excited about the Amargia website. Really looking forward to seeing it.

After all the back and forth, and who will finance, and should I really get one, and what can I get that I can afford, am ending up with...drumroll, please...a 2012 Nissan Versa 4 door Sedan. Not even at the dealer yet. Stumbled across ad for base model WITH auto and A/C, got to dealer before anyone else did. Can you be-LEE-ve it?!? Total price including TTL and such is same as a decent used vehicle. Yea! So, there was the purpose for the burglaries. Or at least I am interpreting it that way. :-) Using the structure damage money to fix the house, but payment for what they stole OUT of the house was enough to cover the downpayment on the car. I have my old glass TV still and with working at an electronics recycler, at some point we will get in a flat panel I can afford. Can't replace the jewelry, as it was a gift and an eBay estate purchase. The boss is letting me use the office revolver. Hadn't yet used the Apple TV, but Netflix will work just as well. Soooooo... :D

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2011
10:06 AM

Post #8805090

Debra, I am so sorry to learn of your loss. I was broken into and relieved of over $35,000 worth of combined jewelry and digital camera equipment. By people I knew and had been ministering to for about 18 months. Ins has a $1,500 limit on jewelry but at least the police identified 3 different dates.
It was all God's anyway and I had actually decided to sell much of my gold to give to the church. So God is using it, just not how I had planned.
The feeling of violation and absence of security and safety in my own home were the most difficult things for me to get past.

You are in my prayers, sister, for God's peace and His hedge of security and safety to surround you both day and night.

Sheri

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

September 12, 2011
11:40 AM

Post #8805215

Thank you, Sheri.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

September 12, 2011
1:05 PM

Post #8805364

SOMEONE forgot to log out of DG, and someone else wasn't very observant before they posted.

This message was edited Sep 12, 2011 3:14 PM
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

September 12, 2011
1:20 PM

Post #8805383

Okay, this is better.
Nadine and I would like some cypress vine seeds, Sheri. My hummers and Nadine’s buzzers battle for the blooms. It would do well on a dividing fence between the Old Soldiers and the Bee Garden. It can be invasive this far south so we have to cut it down before seeds form. It makes an excellent coastal/xera-scape plant if you treat it like an annual and don’t let it go to seed, Kay says you can find it wild around here, but I’ve yet to see a stand to snag seeds from in the fall. The Japanese honeysuckle probably chokes it out. Now there is a truly wicked invasive for us. Does Japanese honeysuckle misbehave so badly in other parts of the country?
Feeling any better, Vickie? They were giving some sort of inhalant equivalent to a flu shot on base. I don’t know yet if it replaces shots or is some sort of auxiliary treatment.
Debra, I need to go to a van for my next, auto purchase, but I like the design of the Versa. They gave the interior the feel of a large car (a big plus when you’re over 6’), but I’m told it still averages about 30 miles to the gallon.
I let Kay off her chain with the promise she would keep her gloves on while she worked. We are all trying to put in a minimum of two hours outside. It keeps any given task from falling too hard on a single person and each person keeps a full appreciation of what the others do. Working outside all the time it is easy to forget what a grinding chore cooking and housekeeping are. Doing cooking and housekeeping in a climate controlled, non-hostile environment it is easy to forget the sheer physical labor involved in some of the task outside. It may not be the most efficient way of doing things. I’m sure that would be each person doing what they are best at. However, it’s probably a good idea to stretch your talents routinely. We are learning the rules of success are a little different when it is a difficult, long-term project. It is more important to maintain a high level of understanding about what the others are constantly dealing with. Translation: I’m tired of always being the one stuck doing the dishes. Nadine is sick of painting. And, Kay is tired of being Amargia’s draft horse. lol.
Nadine is out visiting and picking the brain of friends who live in an accessible apartment complex. I think she may be in for a rude surprise about how hard navigating a manual w/c is. Her accessibility investigations might not be the cake walk she thinks they will be. There are good reasons motorized wheelchairs were invented. (Jim)

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2011
2:24 PM

Post #8805466

10-4...collecting Cypress Vine seeds. Only red unless someone specifically desires white.

Sheri
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

September 12, 2011
4:38 PM

Post #8805682

Jim, I am hoping to take off September 22 and 23. Get doors fixed, do some digging in the dirt, and playing with my pots. Be okay if I mail daylilies to youse guys on Monday the 26th or should we wait until you tell me to ship?
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

September 12, 2011
7:20 PM

Post #8805953

Any time that is convenient for you, is fine for us, Debra. It's been gorgeous outside lately. Doing a lot of transplanting. There is still plenty of time before cold weather arrives for perennials to become established and it isn't so hot it stresses the transplants. It should be like this well into Oct. (Jim)

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2011

Post #8806792

Hi all!!

I always pray for blessings for each of you!

Sheri

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

September 13, 2011
11:52 AM

Post #8806853

Thank you twice over, Sheri. Red would be perfect. Nadi's bee corner is a wild mix of colors and Jim's Soldiers Garden is primarily red, white and blue.
I've been weeding the woodland corner with elbow length gloves this morning. Nadi thinks she saw some poison ivy there. Plus, I want to prep the space for a higher retaining wall. It would be too easy for a VIP to stumble on the low wall and go tumbling down the embankment. I'm not sure what I will plant inside the wall as a go-no-further warning hedge since my old stand-by shrub for shade is out. Azaleas aren't good for bees. Will have to do some research for ideas. Holly would do the job, but not in a very friendly way and 'Soft Touch' holly needs more sun. Hydrangea? k*
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

September 13, 2011
6:44 PM

Post #8807376

Thornless, fruitless quince
http://www.springmeadownursery.com/press/10

JAPANESE CEDAR Dwarf shrub
http://www.tinytreasuresnursery.com/Plant%20Pages/Crypto%20j%20Knaptenensis.htm

Camellia

For bees:

Broom
Rosemary

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

September 13, 2011
8:51 PM

Post #8807538

Awesome, Debra! A NEW, new car! I haven’t managed one of those yet. ~N~
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

September 14, 2011
9:51 AM

Post #8808100

I want some of the new flowering quince for my garden! Will keep an eye open for it.
Kay will probably go with camellias since they grow easily here and there are fragrant varieties. :-)
I need more shrubs in the Soldiers Garden to give it some bones. I suppose a single type of shrub would add some formality. A mixed shrub border has more appeal to me. It isn't so much formal as "highly structured" I'm going for so maybe I can pull it off. Different cultivars of a single species, alternating four different shrubs (one for each season) or something like that. (Jim)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2011
11:04 PM

Post #8809046

Would you plant some red poppys in your veterans garden. When i was little after WW2 I always bought red poppys from Veterans on their day and thought i was doing so much. LOL
If i can find some I'll send them to you.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

September 15, 2011
7:35 AM

Post #8809424

me, too? I love those Flanders Poppies and am still not very good at growing from seed.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

September 15, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8810083

We started a new thread so go to http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1220095/

This message was edited Sep 15, 2011 5:22 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Accessible Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
abled fighters dpmichael 13 Sep 28, 2009 1:31 AM
Gardening with a bad knee Bug_Girl 13 Aug 28, 2009 4:26 PM
"Enabled" vs. "Disabled" Gardeners Shirley1md 40 Apr 8, 2007 6:29 PM
a gardening poem debi_z 43 Jun 17, 2013 4:59 AM
pneumatic seat for gardening debi_z 31 Jun 30, 2009 2:48 PM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America