taking a beating

Dayton, OH

My yellow Rhodie is taking a beating this Summer from this heat. I don't know what to do for the poor thing.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Do you have a pic of it? Is it supposed to be yellow? How long has it been in the ground? How did you plant it? Do you have other rhodies that are doing OK?

Dayton, OH

My rhodie when blooming in the spring has yellow flowers. It has been in the ground over a year now. I planted it the way you are suppose to with Rhodies. I have a white Rhodie that I transplanted in the spring on the other side of the house, which is doing pretty good. I have a picture of it on my camera, which will post tommorw.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Have you mulched it VERY well? It really pays to mulch rather than pay for new plants.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

How much sun is it getting? The fact that a rhodie that you moved to the other side of the house is doing fine while this one is struggling makes me wonder if it's in a location that gets a bit too much sun.

Dayton, OH

Thanks everyone,
ecrane I think you are right about my Rhodie being in the wrong spot, but I'm afraid to move it in this heat.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

It's OK to move it now if you can make sure it doesn't dry out. Only to a shady area though.

Dayton, OH

Pirl, yes I put a lot mulch on it. I was a little afraid that the mulch might do some damage because I don't know if the mulch is acid or not

The mulch will not harm the plant. Dig the hole in advance and amend it if required before you dig the Rhododendron. Move it either late in the day or when rain or overcast skies are predicted and water it in well - then mulch it. We were always surprised to see they don't have a giant rootball! Good luck, roseycats.

Dayton, OH

Thanks Pirl, tomorrow would be a good time to do it, because we are suppose to get rain sometime tomorrow, but it also depends on how my DH is feeling. I need to get some soil first. Have everything else.

This message was edited Jul 10, 2011 9:39 PM

Sounds familiar to me, too!

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

I plant all my rhodies on berms. I don't have a single yellow or chlorotic one. Most of them are shaded for most of the day.

I never did get around to buying this yellow beauty but someday I just might do it.

'Capistrano'...

Thumbnail by pirl
Dayton, OH

Nice picture Pirl. I think that look beautiful in your garden

Here's a picture of my Rhodie from this past Spring.

Thumbnail by roseycats

What a beautiful bed, roseycats! It's so nice and neat and I do love the mulch. Is this the garden that's now too sunny for the rhododendron? All of them or just this one rebel?

Dayton, OH

Here's a picture of it now

Thumbnail by roseycats

It's grown since the first photo and it's not uncommon for it to go through an "ugly" time. Remove all spent flower heads and yellowed leaves. If you cut off the growing tip of each and every branch you will get a fuller bush. Have faith!

Are you moving it tonight?

Dayton, OH

Thanks Pirl, No I can't move it tonight, beause I couldn't get out to get the soil today , and it is just about ready to storm here. We are under a weather advisiory today and tomorrow. I should beable to transfer it Wed. or Thurs if everything goes according to plan. I don't know if it's going to rain or not. It was thundering, the sky looks like rain, but who know's.
I hope we get a good down pour though.

I'm hoping for rain as well.

Dayton, OH

Well, I finally transplanted my Yellow Rhodie this morning, The root ball was like it was when I put the Rhodie, in the ground for the first time. I didn't see any roots coming out of the root ball, which makes me wonder if the thing will live.

This message was edited Jul 17, 2011 4:40 PM

Dayton, OH

Is there anything I could do to get my Rhodie, to grow more root?

Dayton, OH

Here is some information I found for Rhodie's

http://www.rhododendron.org/fertilizing.htm

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Quote from roseycats :
Well, I finally transplanted my Yellow Rhodie this morning, The root ball was like it was when I put the Rhodie, in the ground for the first time. I didn't see any roots coming out of the root ball, which makes me wonder if the thing will live.

This message was edited Jul 17, 2011 4:40 PM

Did you scuff up the rootball really good? I massacre mine. If you just leave the original root ball the roots will rarely grow out of it.

Dayton, OH

I did scuff the root ball up a little, but I don't think I scuffed it up enough. I don't know if the thing is going to make anyway. If it doesn't I think I'll replace it with an Azalea. I don't have any problems with them. I better not brag because everytime I do, something alway's goes wrong.

Whenever we've moved Rhododendrons the root ball never looked large enough to support the plant but they have grown very well.

You're funny, Roseycats, about "something always goes wrong"! Good luck with it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.