Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cameras and Photography: Can't turn on 50D

Communities > Forums > Cameras and Photography
bookmark
Forum: Cameras and PhotographyReplies: 9, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

July 10, 2011
7:24 PM

Post #8684960

Took some pix last night, camera worked fine. Today I turned it on and nothing. Battery was not dead, but I put a freshly charged new one in...still nothing. Any ideas for things for me to try before biting the bullet and having to take it to the cameraspital? Gads, and I have fireworks pix to take on Sat. night.
niceguy2
Rochester, MN

July 10, 2011
10:55 PM

Post #8685196

Did you replace the small coin battery? google '50D won't power up'
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

July 11, 2011
4:31 AM

Post #8685335

Didn't know there was a small coin battery. I'll check that out. I suppose it is a special one...????
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

July 11, 2011
9:28 PM

Post #8687352

Well, it was NOT the little watch battery. It's still among the deceased. Sooooo...will have to find out the name of the cameraspital in Madison. Gads, this just burns my keister.
niceguy2
Rochester, MN

July 11, 2011
11:48 PM

Post #8687425

Did you do a google search? There were a few other things mentioned. Opening all the doors, battery,memory card... cleaning the contacts on the battery/camera, lens.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

July 12, 2011
5:05 AM

Post #8687565

Yeah, tried those too.

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 12, 2011
6:05 AM

Post #8687645

I recommend a call to Canon and if they don't have any ideas you haven't tried, send it to them. I know that there are some really good camera repair stores in some areas, but I have had bad luck with two now and I will always send my Canon equipment back to Canon if it needs repair. I ship it insured and it takes about 3 days to get there. It usually doesn't take that long to fix and they will overnight it back to you and pay the shipping. So, a week or less usually.

The last bad experience I had was with a store in Houston (won't name names). My 100 - 400mm Canon lens was giving an error every third or fourth photo. If I turned off the cam, removed the lens and put the lens back on, it would take a few more shots before giving the error. I called Canon and they said it was probably dirty contacts and would be around $200 to fix. I was in a hurry and instead of sending it to Canon, I took it to the local shop. They said the same thing and about the same price, so I told them to fix it.

They called me two days later and said it was more serious than they thought and would cost almost $800 to fix. The image stabilization unit was broken and the zoom slide was jammed. I told them I didn't want to pay that much and would be by later to pick it up. They told me they were closing early and that I needed to come the next day. I went by early the next day and they told me I needed to come back later because they didn't have it put back together yet.

I finally got the lens back. It was worse than when I brought it in and wouldn't even take one photo. I sent it to Canon. When they received it, they asked why I didn't just fix it the first time I sent it in since they were looking at the repair history for that lens. I told them I hadn't ever sent it in. They looked at the records and found that the repair shop did. Canon also told me that the work would not be covered under warranty since the lens was obviously dropped. WHAT? I never dropped the lens. The camera shop must have dropped it and then sent it to Canon. The reason they kept putting me off when I was trying to pick up the lens is because it was still at Canon, but they didn't tell me that. Liars and cheats. But, I had no way to prove it and was stuck with an $800 bill to fix what should have been $200.

Patti
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

July 12, 2011
6:12 AM

Post #8687653

Ok, I might look into that. And I'm even brash enough to call The CAmera Company in Madison and ask if they rent cameras...couldn't have happened at a worse time. Sheesh...
niceguy2
Rochester, MN

July 12, 2011
7:49 AM

Post #8687787

http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=637895&page=1#post13903308
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

July 12, 2011
11:02 AM

Post #8688229

I had to send it in...sent it directly to Canon. If it's too much to repair, I may upgrade.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cameras and Photography Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
photography(?) tink76627 7 Jul 25, 2011 5:03 AM
* FYI > Defect in some digital cameras * Magpye 24 Nov 7, 2007 12:48 PM
Anyone Use a Canon S2? melvatoo 25 Jul 31, 2007 4:14 PM
Digital Camera for sale MiniSchnuz 31 Apr 5, 2007 9:53 PM
swimming hole Iluvposies 10 Oct 4, 2007 2:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America