Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Seed Germination: Cypress Vine

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 1, Views: 24
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Lorri2rs
Liverpool, NY

July 11, 2011
6:09 AM

Post #8685490

I lived in SC 2 yrs ago and brought with me when I moved to NY a seeds that I had saved from my red Cypress Vine the last summer (2009) I was in SC. My first summer in NY I was unable to plant the saved seeds because we lived in a townhouse and there were no gardening options. We were moving in August so planting them in a container wouldn't have worked well either because by August the plants would have been rather big and hard to move without trauma to both the plant and myself. This year I have a beautiful home and lots of garden space, I am loving the opportunities for new landscaping and new garden plans while working with the existing plants from the previous owner of the home. We've created new beds and torn out overgrown bushes, etc. and enjoying every minute of it since there is actually dirt here in NY instead of clay as in SC. I started a few seeds in small pete pots and have nursed them for what seems like two months now but they aren't growing. I've poked around with a toothpick to see if the seeds had rotted but they looked puffed with moisture and not moldy. Every night I put the pots in a ziplock bag but I don't close the bag so the dirt doesn't get moldy. Every morning I remove them from the bag and place them in the window. I wonder if the seeds are old since they were gathered in 2009. When I harvested them, I dried them, placed in an air tight bag and put them in a safe dry place. These seeds are like gold for me because the original plant I had was from seeds that my mother gave me back in 2000. I have some seeds left over and I know it's getting late in the season, but do you have any advice on if these seeds are too old or if I'm doing something wrong with the seeds I have germinated at this time?

This message was edited Jul 12, 2011 7:38 AM
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

August 7, 2011
8:59 AM

Post #8741789

I still live in SC and I have had seeds germinate even tho they are much older. Try soaking some over night in hand hot water with just a tiny bit of peroxide in it. That has been successful for me.
Linda

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America