Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!: pineapple plant problem

Communities > Forums > Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!Replies: 1, Views: 18
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Ganenet
Saint Louis, MO

July 11, 2011
8:41 AM

Post #8685757

Prior to reading this interesting and informative article on DG website, I ordered two pineapple plants and was
delighted to have them growing on the front porch of our home. Periodically someone would notice and comment and
joined me at marvelling that these plants grew and thrived in St. Louis, far from the tropic climes where we normally
picture pineapples growing.

Success, however, often has its price. Ours came when not only people noticed and commented on the plants but
also the neighborhood squirrels noticed them. Two lovely pineapples that had grown nearly to the point where we could
have harvested them...suddenly devoured (half at a time) ignominiously, by squirrels bold enough to sit on our steps
and eat our plants.

Now, however, at least I know we have the option (and challenge) of potting the pineapple tops and trying to
grow our own replacements!

Now that we know squirrels will eat pineapples as well as our tomatoes (if not in a cage), we know we'll have to
fashion chicken wire cages for the pineapples too!
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 11, 2011
12:54 PM

Post #8686281

Sorry for the loss of your baby pineapple fruit to the pesky squirrels! I had a similar fate to a pineapple fruit on one of the plants in my garden, but the devouring creature was never identified. If you get fruit again on the recycled pineapple crowns, you might try dusting the fruit with cayenne pepper. That is a trick used to make bird seed unpalatable to squirrels (with no harm to the birds since they don't have the sensitive mucosa in their beaks that mammals have in their mouths).

My local Wal-Mart currently has pineapple fruit for $2 each. I bought a fruit to eat today and will plant the crown for a new garden pineapple.

Happy Gardening!

Jeremy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
growing pineapples ringbearer31 11 Dec 31, 2010 7:46 AM
Golden gardening opportunities... podster 8 Oct 8, 2007 11:33 PM
Pot size? imapigeon 3 Oct 15, 2007 1:49 AM
Pineapples billowen 0 Oct 8, 2007 8:37 PM
My pineapple pic Islandshari 9 Oct 12, 2007 4:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America