Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Garden Talk: New Bees Chat - Friends old and new, come on in! 7-11-11

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 352, Views: 2,094
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
enidcandles
Enid, OK

July 11, 2011
9:21 AM

Post #8685883

Here is a new thread!
This is the place to chat and hang out and share with friends - new and old...

Any links you all want me to add to this let me know!

We came from here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1186236/

Direction for free seeds for newbies here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1160896/

Newbies that get lost and found here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1010521/

Lasagna Beds for newbies here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037637/

enidcandles
Enid, OK

July 11, 2011
9:27 AM

Post #8685897

The old thread was a little long for dial up users.

Record breaking heat here yesterday...some say 108 others 110. I figure when it is that hot two degrees really doesn't make much difference. Everything is dying, you just can't water enough when the air is so hot! Even the bermuda is going dormant, of course that grass just won't die, turns brown and looks like crap but as soon as it gets enough water it will once again turn green and invade the gardens. I shouldn't complain too much, if it weren't for bermuda, we would have no grass at all.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 11, 2011
11:08 AM

Post #8686065

I made a link so AL can come over Lori. What the heck you been doing?? Haven't heard anything for a while...Lori, not you AL.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

July 11, 2011
1:06 PM

Post #8686302

Been sick again...been here but lurking mostly.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 11, 2011
4:41 PM

Post #8686787

I been sort of under the weather too, Hope we get well soon...Especially you. How's the kid doin'???
enidcandles
Enid, OK

July 11, 2011
6:05 PM

Post #8686933

The kid is fine - would be easier if he were sick too! Almost impossible to be under the weather with a two year old around. LOL Actually, it is impossible to get well with him around, we are contantly on the go and grandma really needs to lay down and sleep for a couple of days. Man, I miss the time in my life when I could do that!
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2011
9:15 PM

Post #8687330

Hi everyone! Long time no see! Just wanted to pop in and say hello. Doing a Coleus trade in the plant trading forum if anyone is interested. Hope all is well with everyone. :)
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2011
9:28 PM

Post #8687351

Yep, I found you all this time. Glad to see everybody back again

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 12, 2011
5:37 AM

Post #8687608

Poor Lori. Netti I would love to have a mini donkey but Hubby says I have enough mouths to feed.
I think the heat got to one of my Roosters and he is a young one. Found him dead. Poor Louie.
Louie is in chicken Heaven now, may he rest in peace...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule
Click the image for an enlarged view.

enidcandles
Enid, OK

July 12, 2011
6:34 AM

Post #8687685

Does anyone have a favorite all purpose fungus fighter? I have Iris Leaf Spot, the Oriental Lilies have it and so do my Knockout Roses.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

July 12, 2011
5:45 PM

Post #8689039

lori i don,t think id spray them until it cools off some might do more harm than good. im just trytng to water and keep things going until we get a change im the weather if it wasn,t for dh i couldn,t do that.lovr nettie
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2011
7:33 PM

Post #8689298

The best stuff to use is by Fertilome. It's called Triple Action Plus. Its concentrated so a little lasts you a while. its an insecticide, fungicide, and miticide and best of all.. Its organic :-) hope that helps! If you can't find it, let me know and I will sell you some. Its not very expensive either and its commercial grade.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2011
8:20 PM

Post #8689370

Hi peeps - a pretty for you before I head to bed... Rudbeckia "Cherry Brandy"

Some people say they are chocolate colored but mine are true cherry, deep burgandy colored...

Thumbnail by locakelly

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

July 12, 2011
8:30 PM

Post #8689385

hi hope you all are surviving the heat..poor Louie sorry the heat got to him..Its a struggle to keep any thing alive in this weather.. even my computer died, I only get to play online when my son isnt around for now till I can buy a new one..
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

July 12, 2011
8:30 PM

Post #8689386

hi hope you all are surviving the heat..poor Louie sorry the heat got to him..Its a struggle to keep any thing alive in this weather.. even my computer died, I only get to play online when my son isnt around for now till I can buy a new one..
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2011
8:52 PM

Post #8689428

Pretty picture Kelly and hi Huney! Sorry about your little guy RRM .. Miss all of u!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

July 12, 2011
11:06 PM

Post #8689491

if thr clothrs dryer would fenish i would go to bed love and hugs to everyone. nettie
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

July 13, 2011
5:57 AM

Post #8689666

Good morning everyone, does anyone know what flower this is? I planted it a couple of years ago, and it's a perennial, but of course the tag labeling it has been lost over the winters and winds and hail and such.

Thumbnail by skellogg

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2011
11:56 AM

Post #8690262

Sandi,
Definitely looks like a Passion Flower.(Passiflora) Don't know which one but here is some cool information on it's medicinal properties :
http://www.passionflowers.co.uk/Toxicology.asp
Hope that helps and hope thats right! :-) Hugs!
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

July 13, 2011
1:25 PM

Post #8690412

Wow, thanks Mechelle. Now I'm going to have to really check into this as it might be something that would help our Dillon with his epilepsy.
dmtom
Deep South, TX
(Zone 9b)

July 13, 2011
1:37 PM

Post #8690453

I don't think it's a Passi, for one the leaves are diffrent, but I'm no expert.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/search.php?q=passion flower&Search=Search PlantFiles
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

July 13, 2011
2:04 PM

Post #8690479

Hmmm, not finding any passion flowers that would be hardy here either.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

July 13, 2011
10:23 PM

Post #8691275

hi all we got some rain today dh says almost a inch and its cooler may get some more just have to wait and see, love and hugs nettie
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2011
8:24 AM

Post #8691787

Our temps have cooled off a bit, too. A break from the mid 90's last week

Al
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

July 15, 2011
8:20 AM

Post #8693805

It is a bachelor button, I have those also, Sandi, just like it.
Hi everyone. Kelly beautiful Brandy wine. Got a few sprinkles last night and this morning. So sorry Hunnybunch. Maybe you can get another one soon. I'd be lost without mine.
Charleen, so sorry about the chicken, bless his heart.
Hi Mechelle! They fixin to start looking again for another American Idol, tell Courtney! I'm waiting for her to show up. She is my pick. Look how big this bloom is.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

July 15, 2011
8:23 AM

Post #8693810

Al and Nettie, Lori and everyone else, our heat had beed in the 100's for a bit ,but yesterday and today seem much cooler to me. Light breeze blowing so maybe a cool down for everyone. Take care and stay cool, hugs to everyone.

Thumbnail by mekos

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

July 15, 2011
8:34 AM

Post #8693834

Thanks Mekos! The plant and flowers are just so much bigger than my other bachelor buttons, I didn't even think of that. But, that's not too unusual for me, lol!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2011
10:54 AM

Post #8694072

Oh, my dear friend, Jan, I am so glad to see you Darling.
We had a nice rain last night, I hope you get some of it. Didn't mind the rain but The fireworks display was a little too much but I am not complaining.
I got this littel lady blooming this morning...

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2011
1:39 PM

Post #8694315

Does anyone know how difficult or easy it is to root Datura cuttings? I have 3 left at the nursery and was thinking of trying it. Good call on the bachelor button Mekos. Do u know the name of it?
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

July 15, 2011
1:43 PM

Post #8694324

All I know, is mine has gotten huge this year, compared to it's previous years. Obviously, this must be 3 year leap, lol! But, if it's only it's second year, can't imagine next year!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2011
9:03 PM

Post #8695139

All I know is they will drop seeds and sprout everywhere, but they are very iffy to dig and transplant. They don't like to be moved. Not sure about cuttings though you could try it and let us know;o)

Yeah, that is a Bachelor Button or I think they call them Cornflowers too... Mine reseed like crazy and they colors cross and they are all shades of purples, blues, pinks and white. If they get a lot of water they can get huge - I'm talking I had some 4 feet and taller - lol.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2011
8:35 AM

Post #8695672

Hi RRM, missed you too.Gorgeous Hibiscus there! Yes, Cornflower is propper name. I just call them bachelor buttons, they come in all colors. I really love mine.
Look what I had this morning.

Thumbnail by mekos

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2011
11:21 AM

Post #8695982

Purdy Mekos! Love 'em all!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 16, 2011
3:12 PM

Post #8696292

I got some Vick's plant , Do you still want a piece?
Beautiful Mekos, Love it...
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2011
5:05 PM

Post #8698365

Psst! Everyone, today is skelloggs Bday !

*+*+*+*+***+*++*+*++*+*+*+*+**+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+HaPpY BiRTdAy *+**+*+*+*+**+**+*++***+*++*+*+*+*++**+*+*++

Cake and Ice Cream at Mekos' House! Maybe Mojitos too! Woohoo!!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2011
5:38 PM

Post #8698423

Happy Birthday Sandi!!

Yep - I've got sunflowers again, direct decendants of last years crop saved from seeds. Some actually reseeded, so it was easy. I've got a whole patch under my birdfeeder that just grew there by themselves

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 19, 2011
9:39 PM

Post #8702890

Too hot to compute here, don't know about you folks...gettin' hotter tomarrow!

Al
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

July 20, 2011
3:14 PM

Post #8704398

Thanks Al! Been hot here too, but not unbearable like in some places. Today it's hot out in the sun, but on my nice shaded patio, only 78 degrees! WooHoo! Been out working in the sun adding another layer or 2 in one of my beds, and adding mulch, so when it gets too hot, back to the patio for an iced tea break, lol!

Al, I love the free sunflowers I get under my feeders. I always leave a bunch of them too for the birds. They love them during the snowy cold winters!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

July 20, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8704720

happy birthday sandy may you have many more love and hugs nettie
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

July 22, 2011
5:50 AM

Post #8708124

Thanks Nettie!
Do any of you grow wisteria vines? I have 2 plants, which are supposed to be wisteria, that I put in last year. I just noticed that they seem to have different leaves on them. One has a rather serrated edge leaf, and the other smooth edges. Is this normal? Possibly different varieties? Or male/ female? Neither one has ever bloomed, but being relatively new here, and not huge yet, that doesn't surprise me. We just built a trellis/arbor for them, and noticed the difference in leaves. If anyone can sed some light on growing these, sure would appreciate it!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2011
8:24 AM

Post #8710558

We're setting temp records right here in western NY, we've had 100's for most of last week. I think it's going to break soon with thunderstorms predicted for tonight, humidity is unbearable outside. AC is working okay inside, and we've been shopping and eating at our local mall to cool off. We also have a cool water park in the city to keep everybody wet. Kids are doing a gigantic water dance under the city hosehouse complete with music, wished I had a picture!

This is NOT gardening weather for me, though, but everything seems to be growing well.

Al
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

July 23, 2011
8:37 AM

Post #8710580

Al, the heat index yesterday was 116 here. They showed a reading before the baseball game last night the temperature on the field was 120 degrees. But, I don't think their gauge could go above 120.

I have a ton of work to do in the garden but I'm not going out in that heat. I did leave an ice cold bottle of Gatorade for the mailman. Do you think he will dare to leave any bills today ?

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2011
3:23 PM

Post #8711105

Sandi, all I know about Wisteria is that they can get big enough to eat your house - lol.

The east coast is having brutal weather - stay cool and stay hydrated! Hoping for rain here. I leave for Maine on the 31st so hoping it cools off for you all by then. I'm heading east to escape the heat - geez.

Some of you have seen my new additions on FB, but here are mynew puppies... Smore and Flower. They are 4 month old Yorkie/Maltese mixes. They're even more adorable than the picture shows. They are settling in with Yankee and Stormy just fine.

Thumbnail by locakelly

Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

July 23, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8711114

Looks like your place is going to the dogs Kelly

Great looking additions!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2011
8:13 PM

Post #8711572

LOL Mit - my house is oozing cuteness;o)

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2011
5:45 AM

Post #8712020

Yes, it is. they are so cute and cuddly.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

July 24, 2011
6:46 PM

Post #8713195

kelly those are thr best looking pups iv seen in a long time ill bet they are soft as silk love nettie have fun on your tripand be safe.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2011
9:07 PM

Post #8726519

Pssst!

littlenettie
Booneville, AR

July 30, 2011
10:46 PM

Post #8726701

we had thunder and lighting hear about half an hour ago but so for thats all we had. may get some heat showers tonight that would be nice. some of the big cattle people are going out of state to get hay ive been buisy this week with dr.s just that time of year, the bargains galore on 64 is next week goes from ft. smith to vilonia its alot of fun the girls and i are going one day. love and hugs nettie talk later.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2011
6:40 AM

Post #8726994

Hi Nettie, Happy Sunday! We're going to a huge country market in Avon, just south of Rochester. It's about a 50 acre yard sale. Our rain finally broke the heat from last week, but we may have more high temps to come. My garden is comming on great this year, lots of green tomatoes on the vines. I have tons of purple coneflowers and BE Susans grown fron last years seeds from DGers, they're beautiful!

Al
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

July 31, 2011
12:47 PM

Post #8727774

hi al glad you still hsve a garden my garden is just about gone to much heat and no rain i water but its not doing any good. would like to have had some tomatos but will have to go by farmers market if i have some. have fun at the yard sale some of my better vaces come from yard sales very cheep. save when i can love and hugs nettie

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2011
3:59 PM

Post #8728202

Hi peepe - getting ready to catch the red eye out of Phoenix tonight, heading to Maine. I'll wave to everyone as we fly over! Someday soon I'd love to make the trip by car and stop and see all my DG pals along the way!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 31, 2011
5:33 PM

Post #8728352

Be careful girl... Have great fun...
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2011
7:58 PM

Post #8728648

Have a great trip Kelly - we'll be watching for your plane to fly over!

Al
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

August 5, 2011
11:31 PM

Post #8739652

hi all hope the heat hasn,t made you nuts. i was not good before the heat hit so im very bad just lay around and close my eyes and rest im almost crazy need to do some things in the yard in the morning so im going to bed love and hugs. nettie
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2011
5:22 AM

Post #8739786

The heat got to all of us for the last week or two. We had some rain yesterday and today, now we live in a nice little rain forest but the garden and weeds are doing well! Hope everybody is okay.

I think Kelly picked a good time to go northeast, Arizona has been over the 100's for two months now.

Al

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2011
5:32 AM

Post #8739800

The weather has been rainy until yesterday but now it's pretty nice. Phoenix is hot hot hot! We are at the lake and internet is spotty so just checking in while I have a signal.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2011
7:23 AM

Post #8739900

Good to hear from you Kelly! Hope you're having a great vacation! Send pictures!

Al

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8742983

I leave in the morning for hot 'ol Phoenix - boo... I had a lovely time and will share some pics when I get home. Here is a pretty shot for you - we were driving into the old road into the lake we used to have our camp on. The rain stopped long enough for me to snap this shot.

Thumbnail by locakelly

Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

August 7, 2011
5:45 PM

Post #8743043

Kelly you need a summer home in Maine where its a little cooler

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8743259

Yes I do Mit - thank God I have a lot of family here to mooch sleeping space out of - lol.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

August 8, 2011
7:54 PM

Post #8745633

hi all we have had another hot one and a fire we had fire trucks and police all over the place so glad they got it controlled im glad i didn,t have to go help would have if it was necesary this whole valley has a burn ban the fire today was from a rractor some one was going to bail some hay. it burned some pasture one very old house and a barn before they got it put out dau just called she said the fire is still smoldering they have men watching the mess for the night that makes me feel better. we are only a few miles from the national forest. so im sure they are watching also. and my bill will be keeping a eye on it also im praying for rain thats all i know to do.love and hugs nettie.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2011
9:49 AM

Post #8746538

Morning everyone :-) Hope all is well with everyone and their gardens. I am getting ready to close the nursery for the season and I have a lot of things left over. I just cant throw things away! I thought I would offer a few of these things to you guys first.

$1.00 plus postage:

Coleus : these are all nice, well established plants that have been cut back as needed all year so they are nice and bushy. Here's what I have. Also if you buy 5 Coleus you get 1 free of your choice. Ships Bare Root. Tender Perennial/Annual

Pat Martin : http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/37825/
Alabama Sunset : http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/70886/
Fishnet Stockings : http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/103366/
Wizard Mosaic : http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/191717/
Henna : http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/181647/
Electric Lime : http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/181498/
Indian Summer : http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/185640/
Red Roof : http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/197311/
Wizard Scarlet : http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/69952/
Watermelon: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/159370/

Echinacea/Coneflower: $2.00 plus postage. Nice sized plants currently in 6" square pots. Ships Bare root. Perennial

Summer Sky: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/133257/
Little Annie: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/195269/
Hot Papaya: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/184002/
Sundown: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/73557/

I will be editing and adding pictures (as long as they will let me) and more Coleus but I only have dial up at home right now. I also will be selling at deep discounts Echinacea, Morning Glory, Hosta, Lantana, Caladiums, Iris, Japanese Iris,and more.. The best thing to do would be to email me at mechelletidwell@yahoo.com . I would also be interested in trading as well for those I don't have. Thanks and will update as often as possible.
Mechelle

This message was edited Aug 9, 2011 3:47 PM
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

August 9, 2011
5:38 PM

Post #8747436

WooHoo! You'll be hearing from me! Thanks Mechelle!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

August 9, 2011

Post #8747816

they had to call the fire dept. back last night but we got a little rain last night. was enough to wet things a little.the man who caused the fire will have to pay a fine. don,t know how much. we belong to a rural fire department pay every year.saves money on house insurance.. we may grt some showers tonight sure would be nice.love and hugs to all nettie
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2011
10:22 AM

Post #8748615

Sounds good Sandi! Thanks!

Hope all is ok where u are Nettie.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

August 10, 2011
9:50 PM

Post #8749767

michelle we had more rain last night hope it got the rest of the fire out. would love more rain hope we get more rain.i know ive lost plants but with this weather it can,t be helped. hope we don,t loose any of the big oak trees.everything so dry.going yo have parker in the morning until about three in the afternoon. ill get him to help me water the plants on the front porch he likes doing that. love and hugs nettie
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

August 11, 2011
9:59 PM

Post #8751517

hi all we got more rain today dh said about one and a half inchs that shiuld help alot. dau will be here by 6 in the morning to go on the big sale on 64 we should have alot of fun talk later love and hugs nettie
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2011
7:29 AM

Post #8751918

Hi Ya'all

It's actually been COOL for a change!

We're entertaining GD Livy and daughter Becky for the week while SIL Jason is doing extensive work on their house in Manchester. He has been knocking out old plaster walls and rebuilding, so it's real messy right now. We're having lots of fun with picnics and kite flying galore. Weather has been beautiful here.

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 12, 2011
8:02 AM

Post #8751962

Very Good!!!
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2011
12:51 PM

Post #8752424

Weather is expected to be beautiful here too for the next week or so. Al, I have some pics to share with you that I should have sent you a couple months ago. I just loved your Marigolds. Beautiful size and height and sustained much longer than the ordinary dwarf variety.

Hope everyone is doing well and happy gardening this weekend!

Mechelle

Thumbnail by MechelleT

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 12, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8752852

Wahhhhhhhhhh!!! I wanna be able to grow Hostas here - lol. A couple friends do but in pots and they stay small...
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 13, 2011
8:54 AM

Post #8753667

I sorry Kelly :-( Just pack up and move to TN!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2011
9:22 AM

Post #8753700

I would have thought your whole family would have been cooked by now!

Al

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2011
9:24 PM

Post #8755046

We're medium-well about now - lol... TN sounds great about now!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

August 17, 2011
9:05 PM

Post #8762276

hi all its been cooler here for a couple of days can breath better hope it hangs around for a while love amd to all nettie.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 17, 2011
9:30 PM

Post #8762301

Ugh nettie - not here... Today was 113° and high high humidity, but no dang rain...

I keep looking at the flowers from Maine to cool me off - lol...

Thumbnail by locakelly

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2011
10:33 PM

Post #8762339

Pretty flower Kelly :-) That is hot hot hot!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2011
8:16 AM

Post #8762915

That's georgeous Kelly, any idea what it is?

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2011
8:18 AM

Post #8762920

Looks like "love in a mist"
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 18, 2011
4:37 PM

Post #8763603

rained here again today, really nice. It is also getting cooler at night and some cooler in the daytime too. Love the flower Kelly, I have it in white, pink and blue. They already bloomed for me.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2011
5:33 PM

Post #8763659

Really enjoying this cooler weather. The plants flowers and shrubs are too!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2011
7:39 PM

Post #8763865

The whole gang is back again! How's everybody doin'?

Al
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2011
8:05 PM

Post #8763913

I know .. 'bout time!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 18, 2011
8:57 PM

Post #8763971

It is Nigella, Love-In-A-Mist! The seed pods are as cool as the fleurs!

It's hot as crap here again - lots of wind, dust but no rain!

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/weather/weather_news/photos:-storm-causes-damage,-outages

Thumbnail by locakelly

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2011
6:40 PM

Post #8765529

We heard Phoenix got caught in a giant dust storm, hope you're alright Kelly! It's been on our news lately.

Al

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2011
6:54 PM

Post #8765548

Three this year - crazy! But no rain, just dirt. I think I'll have to hose the plants off - lol. Last one I got caught driving in it - that was a little nerve wracking to say the least. It's like driving in a white out for those of you familiar with snowstorms!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2011
9:09 PM

Post #8765696

We're glad you're alive and well! Hope it cools off soon.

Al

littlenettie
Booneville, AR

August 19, 2011
10:54 PM

Post #8765786

oh so humid today alwost like rain. but is still very hot out sidehope it is cooler tomorrow. we coukd all use some cool down love and hugs nettie talk later.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2011
10:58 AM

Post #8766382

October Al, October... I pray it comes soon - lol...
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2011
10:05 PM

Post #8769950

Goodnight Everyone.. Wishing you all a good week full of pleasant weather and lots of flowers :-)

Thumbnail by MechelleT

littlenettie
Booneville, AR

August 21, 2011
10:21 PM

Post #8769980

ok people had no 69 today and i got some nice things new flower tea cup gives me chance to purchase new house plant which i don,t need but im going to get one anyway. im thankful for every day i have with my family and friends love and hugs to all of you have a good nighy and better day tomarrow.nettie

This message was edited Aug 22, 2011 12:04 AM
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2011
7:24 AM

Post #8770523

OMYGOSH it's Nettie's Birthday (Saturday)! I didn't see your name in the birthday file, but it's in the addy list.

Have a great day Nettie!

Al

This message was edited Aug 22, 2011 9:26 AM

Thumbnail by lycodad

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2011
8:07 AM

Post #8770625

Sorry, I was a little out of focus for a minute...

Al

This message was edited Aug 22, 2011 10:10 AM

Thumbnail by lycodad

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2011
11:39 AM

Post #8771108

Happy Birthday Nettie !

Thumbnail by MechelleT

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

August 22, 2011
11:40 AM

Post #8771110

Happy Birthday Nettie! Have a wonderful celebration! Wish we could all be there to help you celebrate in person!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2011
12:31 PM

Post #8771200

We're eating real tomatoes in NY!! This is this mornings pick. Salads and salsa tonight for dinner!

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

August 22, 2011
1:01 PM

Post #8771243

You are so-o-o-o lucky! I'm still hoping mine ripen before we get a freeze, lol! They look wonderful!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

August 22, 2011
9:38 PM

Post #8772200

ai everyone thank you for the biryhday wishes i love all of you and miss you when i don,t get a chance to get on line to make sure you are all doing good and not sick i feel bad when i don,t know how all of you aredoing nettie im going to go to bed soon so talk later.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

August 22, 2011
10:02 PM

Post #8772221

Have a good night Nettie! Sweet dreams!

All you plant smart people, I have a question. I threw out some zinnia seeds late this spring, and they are blooming and looking awesome. What I need to know is, do I have to pick the seed heads off and save the seeds, or will they reseed themselves and basically winter sow on their own. Keep in mind, we are zone 3/4, so it will freeze hard and they will be buried under snow. I love the way they look in the corner of the fence, but they are in with a spirea bush and cannas. The cannas I have to dig, and they will not be able to go into the corner next year, as the spirea will be too big for them in the same spot next year, but the zinnias will still look great there, so want to have more growing there next year. Also, my yard doesn't have enough smelly things, lol! I need more fragrant plants! Any ideas? Perennials would be great, but I always have plenty of annuals too.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2011
10:49 PM

Post #8772275

Sandi, I haven't known zinnias to reseed themselves as long as I've grown them. The seed pods from the female plants are easy to harvest and save over the winter to plant next year. I usually wait in the fall until they are completely hardened and dry on the plant before picking them from the stem. I trim the dried flower petals from the seed pod with shears before flicking the arrowhead shaped seeds into a cool-whip container for winter storage. There will be some chafe, but don't worry about it too much. You can make a mountain of zinnias simply by replanting in the spring. My daughter even uses them as a "scatter-patch" garden for cut flowers. Couldn't be easier.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

August 23, 2011
6:59 AM

Post #8772617

Thanks Al! Good to know, since I've never gathered seed from them before. I've always just had extra seeds, so never worried about it, lol! And glad I didn't throw them out on the ground hoping they would come back next year. I have a fridge where I store all my seeds anyway, so another container full won't matter. Do you keep them cool and store them in the fridge? Or room temp?
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2011
7:40 AM

Post #8772671

Just make sure they are completely dry after separating the seed. I store in sealed plastic containers (cool-whip or cottage cheese type), no refrigeration is necessary. I do marigolds pretty much the same way. They will last for several years if kept dry with stable temps. I still have a few left over if anybody wants some.

Al
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2011
8:06 AM

Post #8772695

This is another generic short marigold called "Sparky". I grew a small bunch last year and saved a whole container full of seeds to try this year, I now have a huge patch of them (and more seeds to share).

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

August 23, 2011
10:34 AM

Post #8772951

Those are great Al! I always plant marigolds every year in and around my maters and such, and for some reason unbeknown to me, have never thought about saving the seeds, hahaha! I like marigolds, but some people just can't stand the way they smell. Doesn't bother us any and great bug control! They are a must have in the gardens for us! How tall are your short Sparkies? Love the bright orange!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2011
11:54 AM

Post #8773120

This is my overwhelmed back porch and trellis. We have morning glories all over the place. The Sparky marigolds are left of the walkway, only about 12" high and spreading. I transplanted them in clumps about 2' apart and they filled in nicely.

Okay - I'm getting hits on this... The odd shaped tomatoes in the basket picture above are "Costoluto Genovese". They are an heirloom tomato imported from Italy by Pagano (brand) and Lake Valley Seed Company. They taste as good as they look, and I have extra seeds.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 23, 2011
11:56 AM

Post #8773124

Send me a dozen seed AL, I'll try to remember to plant them next year. How big ddo the vines get??? Could I plant them in a container?????
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

August 23, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8773283

Oh Al, I'd love to have a few seeds too, please! They look wonderful! I'm so happy I have 1 tomato that's starting to turn color now, so assuming we will get at least 1 mater to eat this year, teeheehee. Actually, we have had several little cherry maters ripen, so did get to enjoy a couple of those too. :-)

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 23, 2011
3:02 PM

Post #8773404

Al. you all want some hairy morning glory seed, I'm going to have Oodles... Let me know, everyone. Just send me a note...
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

August 23, 2011
3:10 PM

Post #8773414

Hairy morning glory?

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 23, 2011
3:51 PM

Post #8773470

Brazilian Morning Glory.
They have a stiff little hairy stem, but it is soft. Lavendar blooms, no scent that I can detect but Bees love it.
Here is a bloom and the stem shows too.

littlenettie
Booneville, AR

August 23, 2011
4:05 PM

Post #8773483

rrm that is a verry pretty bloom does it set seed i wou;d love to have some of them. i have to keep some promises ive made to people or they are going yo think i make false promises. that wduld be bad love nettie i just can,t remember.my age dh says and he should know. we havr had each other for 45 years this year. don,t know how i would get along without him.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 23, 2011
5:06 PM

Post #8773608

I forget too, Nettie. I made a list of folks who wanted these and misplaced it. But got two pods in mail today. I'll save you some nettie. I started new list and I got a lot of seeds forming.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8773622

My porch is being smothered in a morning glory jungle right now, I think I'll pass on that offer thanks. That's a pretty one, though.

I'll get some tomato seeds in the mail if ya'll want. The rest I'll send to Corey for the newbie packs.

I bought a new Nikon L22 last week. It's just a simple pocket camera I'm trying out. This is GD Livey visiting our garden yesterday.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

August 23, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8773640

I had to google those brazilian mg's! They are fascinating! Very pretty! If you have a few extra seeds, I'd be happy to send you an envy, but I do have mg's blooming here, so am hoping to get some seeds from them for next year. I really only try to save a few, mostly because they seem to do pretty fair reseeding on their own most times. But I would love some if you have a few extras.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

August 23, 2011
5:29 PM

Post #8773650

Al, do you still need some Shasta Becky seeds? I have several plants blooming and can sure try to harvest some seeds for you if you want. Charleen, you don't have much on your want list. Is there anything I can send you? I don't have much, but you're sure welcome to what I do have.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2011
6:03 PM

Post #8773701

Just wanted to share a pic of the same flower above. Raining like heck here now! No complaints.. We need every bit of it!

Thumbnail by MechelleT

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8773763

Is that some sort of coneflower variation? I've never seen one quite that color. Beautiful!

Al
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2011
7:50 PM

Post #8773902

Its Echinacea 'Sundown' I love it too!
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

August 23, 2011
8:13 PM

Post #8773940

Is that one you have extras of Mechelle? I love the orange color!
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2011
3:59 AM

Post #8774154

Yes Sandi it is :-) I have plenty of Sundown, Hot Papaya, Summer Sky and Little Annie. Even though its late in the season, I still have a ton of Coleus left too. But you know how that is, they overwinter nicely in the house. Also have lots of Heuchera-Christa, Citronelle, and a few Palace Purple. I have all of them here at the house now. Lots of Clematis too. I haven't really told anyone but I am closing the nursery. I hate it but it just didn't do well enough to keep it going. Just lots of issues with expensive things breaking, employees breaking equipment and sales just not enough . Mostly just not enough of me to go around. 1500 power bills. Just nuts! But I loved the experience. I sure learned a lot and met a lot of good people. I plan to tinker around here a little and keep busy :-)

Thumbnail by MechelleT

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

August 24, 2011
5:28 AM

Post #8774218

You'll need more time to help get Courtney famous anyway! :-) I'll private email you with some things, and some questions, if you don't mind.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2011
5:43 AM

Post #8774234

If the child is meant to be famous, she will make it. Just keep working and praying.
I got you down for the seed Sandi...
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

August 24, 2011
6:09 AM

Post #8774261

Thanks Charleen! Can I send you anything?

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2011
7:00 AM

Post #8774345

Naw! It's o.k. I'll have jillions. I got to get you a picture of the seed pods...Got oodles...
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

August 24, 2011
8:58 AM

Post #8774531

Jillions ? I don't think thats a real word. Me thinks you made that up Red Rider.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2011
11:33 AM

Post #8774749

I wouldn't doubt it but it sounded like I knew what I was saying.☺☺ How you doing Mitt???
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

August 24, 2011
12:47 PM

Post #8774831

have any of you seen crit on daves garden i need to have her tell mr if her add ts still the same. thanks nettie

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2011
1:00 PM

Post #8774856

She hurt her Finger messin around with her horses Nettie. Had to go to Emergency room for stitches. She will be checking in in a while...
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

August 24, 2011
2:16 PM

Post #8774957

Oh my, sure hope it's not too serious!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2011
2:18 PM

Post #8774961

Nettie, Crit was asking about you too. Here is link to her.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1208738/
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2011
2:32 PM

Post #8774991

Well, we survived the Great Earthquake of 2011... It shook the tomatoes, but they didn't fall

Al
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2011
6:45 PM

Post #8775319

(((((((((((((((((((((((Mechelle, Nettie, Al and everyone else!))))))))))))))))))) Boy have I MISSED you guys, and been trying to find you!!!!! Seems I keep losing threads when new ones are opened. For me it is good if someone continues to post on the old one for a few days so I know there is a new one. Crit gets lost in her own bathroom sometimes! LOL

Sure glad to have good friends who found and gave me the link. Thank you soooooo much!!!

Well, I think I need to go to bed. You all take care and "I'll be back". :-)
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

August 24, 2011
9:03 PM

Post #8775549

thank you rrm have you seen crit i hate to send live plants unless the person is gona be home for a few days. wish she could let me know nettie.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

August 24, 2011
9:18 PM

Post #8775564

ill just wait im sure she will get back to me tomorrow or next day thanks all for finding her for me. love nettie.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2011
4:34 PM

Post #8776818

((((((((((((nettie)))))))))))))))))my post is right above yours. :-) Yup... I'm gonna be home!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

August 25, 2011
8:19 PM

Post #8777217

ok im going to pick your walking iris in the morning and send them love nettie
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

August 26, 2011
1:12 PM

Post #8778313

crit your little ones are on their way hope they grow good for you. mekos can tell you how to start them put them i water they will like that but ask her cause rveryone starts them diferently. love nettie
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2011
1:34 PM

Post #8778346

Thanks nettie
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2011
7:16 AM

Post #8779414

Happy Weekend All! We hope the storm doesn't hit too hard, but it's slowly coming up the coast. Gettin' our laundry off the line before the neighbors own it..

Al
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

August 27, 2011
7:45 AM

Post #8779465

Al, its overcast and very cloudy down here. The air is very still and humid. The birds are very quiet and very few are out flying around like normal. Maybe they know something. I put some bread out for the sparrows to eat but they're not interested today.

We're expecting 5 to 10 inches of rain and the winds should drop to around 60 to 80 MPH by the time it reaches us. Since the ground is already saturated from all the rain this month they're saying alot of the trees will come down with the winds. And with fallen trees comes downed power lines. Major flooding is expected and the transportation company has already suspended all trains, buses and subway service at midnight tonight. Irene is expected here tonight into tomorrow with the really heavy stuff coming early tomorrow morning. Tornadoes are expected to spin off as it runs up the coast to visit New York and then Boston.

The New Jersey shore was been evacuated with that area expected to get the direct hit.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2011
8:45 AM

Post #8779539

(―`v΄―)
`*.Έ.*΄
Έ.•΄ Έ.•*¨)Έ.•*¨)
(Έ.•΄(Έ.• (Έ.•΄ΈΈ.•¨―`•.ΈΈ.♥ PLEASE Re-post this heart prayer balloon for all the families along the Eastern coast of the US as they get ready for hurricane Irene!! God bless & keep them all safe!!! Please
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2011
9:23 AM

Post #8779592

Yeah - It's weird, eerie, gray and calm. Air feels humid and heavy. Not a single bird in sight, they're all hiding somewhere. This is really strange.

Al
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

August 27, 2011
9:44 AM

Post #8779626

Its amazing that the storm is so far away yet they know its coming and they know to hide somewhere and ride it out.

The rain started here just before noon. Its just a steady rain. The wind driven downpour will arrive later. Its going to be a real mess
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2011
11:28 AM

Post #8779760

My thoughts and prayers are with all of those on the east coast. Stay safe .

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 27, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8780301

Mine too - stay safe and check in so we know everyone is alright.

You all have more rain than you know what to do with and I can't get a drop - ugh. Record August heat in Phoenix.
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

August 27, 2011
7:40 PM

Post #8780381

Kelly
I'll trade you one hurricane for one of your sand storms !!!

We're under a tornado watch until 5 AM. Very heavy rains now and supposed to continue all night. The winds are picking up too. Friends in New Jersey have sent messages their power is out and the winds and rain are really nasty. The eye will pass thru during the night. I haven't seen rain this heavy in a very long time.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2011
8:14 PM

Post #8780423

We're pretty calm still, it's expected to hit Sunday morning around 10AM.

Al

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 27, 2011
10:17 PM

Post #8780512

Mit that dust is pretty nasty, but I think you can keep your hurricanes. Well, except the rain - I'll take the rain.

Praying everyone is safe tonight!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

August 28, 2011
12:16 AM

Post #8780580

ive been out this afternoon wetting down some plants that are under trees, just put it off as long as i could. my bad just can,t stand this heat.it would be nice if that storm would loose that wind out on the sea. im praying things don,t get bad for all those people on the cost hope and pray every one can stay safe love and hugs to all stay safe nettie.
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

August 28, 2011
5:07 AM

Post #8780701

Its still raining here and the winds have died down. I still have power. They're saying it will clear up as the storm pulls away and heads north but the winds will still be here. Its very quiet here I don't see anyone walking around or any car or bus traffic.

I heard the storm has been downgraded to a tropical storm so that good for everyone north of here and the people in New England. Looking at television this morning, I see the reporters giving their reports and standing near floored streets all over the area. Beach erosion at the Jersey shore but they get that with every storm that goes up the coast. I think Northern Jersey is feeling the storm now and they say Irene should arrive around 9AM in New York.

Stay safe everyone
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2011
7:03 AM

Post #8780845

since June 1 to yesterday, out of 88 days we've had 84 in the 90's or higher. 44 out of 88 100 or higher. No more rain since that week we had a little bit over the night. Things turning brown again.

I see the hand surgeon on Wedensday as still have numbness on the tip and side of my finger. Hope I don't have to learn to type like this all the time. I do pretty well but not the 70 wpm I use to do. lol
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2011
7:16 AM

Post #8780865

It's been a little gusty and rainy, but no flying cats just yet. I think the main storm is blowing eastward from here, NYC and Boston often get it worse than we do.

Al
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

August 28, 2011
7:23 AM

Post #8780872

You'll still be feeling some of the storm Al. It's a huge area that its covering. It appears from the tracking it will run thru NYC and then up to Boston and Maine.

Any place along the coast can expect a wild ocean, beach erosion and flooding. All the streams, creeks and rivers down this way have over flowed into the communities.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2011
7:34 AM

Post #8780893

(―`v΄―)
`*.Έ.*΄
Έ.•΄ Έ.•*¨)Έ.•*¨)
(Έ.•΄(Έ.• (Έ.•΄ΈΈ.•¨―`•.ΈΈ.♥ PLEASE Re-post this heart prayer balloon for all the families along the Eastern coast of the US as they get ready for hurricane Irene!! God bless & keep them all safe!!! Please

I see the hand surgeon on Wednesday. Still have numbness on the tip and down the side of my finger. Hope I don't have to learn to type like this permanently. I do pretty well, but not the 70 wpm I use to do. :-)
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2011
11:13 AM

Post #8781287

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. Keep us posted Al and Mitt.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2011
11:17 AM

Post #8781292

That would slow you down, Poor gal, ...(Injured hand)
Prayers are with you Mitt and Al.
Got a Card in the mail from AL, so glad you and Charley getting to Travel...
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2011
1:52 PM

Post #8781535

I just saw a church pigeon flying backwards. I don't know what religion he was, but I think he was praying for less wind.

Al
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

August 28, 2011
2:39 PM

Post #8781610

Everything is fine here. The sun came out and its a bright blue sky this afternoon. The winds are still kicking up. About an hour ago Cape May, New Jersey had a gust of 75 MPH.

My basement is wet but it should be dry tonight or tomorrow. Across the street from me I see a neighbors tree just came down. It survived the storm last night but not the afternoon winds

This message was edited Aug 28, 2011 8:57 PM
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8781638

THX for checking in
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2011
4:35 PM

Post #8781786

So glad everyone is ok. Here's a picture of the same little coneflower I've been posting. Have a good night everyone.

Thumbnail by MechelleT

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8781847

Things are calming down a bit. Appears the storm went far east of us towards Boston coast. Looks like we're alright.

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2011
6:20 PM

Post #8781951

Prayers, Dear friend... Hang in there and hold on.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2011
7:46 PM

Post #8782112

good to hear Al
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2011
8:14 PM

Post #8782165

Glad to hear everything is ok. Was worried!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

August 28, 2011
10:17 PM

Post #8782294

al thank you for the card made my day hope the weather clears real soon. so we can get on with dur lives love and hugs all talk later crit hope your hand gets better real quick. you should get your plants monday. good luck with them.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2011
4:20 AM

Post #8782459

Thanks again nettie. This is a pic of my finger when they got it all stitched up. Of course, it is the middle finger so when I have my splint in it looks like I am flipping everyone off. LOL I'm getting better at typing without using that finger. tee hee

Thumbnail by Crit

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2011
4:21 AM

Post #8782463

one more.

Thumbnail by Crit

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2011
6:18 AM

Post #8782673

Ouch! That looks sore.

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood! Sunny with little puffy clouds. Cooler though only about 50 degrees, we're wearing sweaters today. Feels like fall is on the way. Thanks for all your concerns and prayers.

AL
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8783860

nettie ... I got the plants today. Thanks so much!!!! They are in great shape.

Yes Al, it is pretty sore!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

August 29, 2011
10:51 PM

Post #8784347

crit i hope your hand gets better real soon. just be patient time is on your side and so are all of us. im glad mitt and all our friends are out of harms way.thats a real blessing. love and hugs nettie

This message was edited Aug 29, 2011 11:53 PM
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2011
11:46 AM

Post #8785183

My purple coneflower grown with seeds from DG's Newbie pack. This is my first successful try at winter sowing, last years got completely washed out in the Spring. This one's now about 2' high and spreading.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2011
11:55 AM

Post #8785197

Another pix of same plant next to our driveway. I'll soon have lots of seed pods for this one.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

littlenettie
Booneville, AR

August 30, 2011
11:25 PM

Post #8786238

its time for me to go to bed hope everyone has a nice weekend. love and hugs nettie
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

August 31, 2011
10:49 PM

Post #8787998

rrm thank you for the seed they came today.love nettie.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 1, 2011
5:27 AM

Post #8788187

Great!!!! Got More if anyone is interested
ipomoea setosa, Debbie , I'm going to send you a couple or three of the hairy Brazilian Morning Glories...
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2011
10:09 AM

Post #8788615

Rrm do you have a picture of the bloom? I have one that has hairy stems too. Wonder if its the same one.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2011
11:27 AM

Post #8788717

Here is a late closer of one of mine. It looks blue when its open but lavender when its closed.

Thumbnail by MechelleT

littlenettie
Booneville, AR

September 1, 2011
9:56 PM

Post #8789644

rrm have you seen mekos i need info on orchid seed i have some off that ground orchid but don,t have a clue how to plant them/ t hope she can help me.love nettie
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

September 2, 2011
1:04 AM

Post #8789722

hay rrm i found smothing on those orchid seed.i think i can do this im gona try ill try anything one time or more. love and hugs nettie.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8790811

Have a great weekend all!! We'll be attending a hot air balloon festival in Dansville, about 30 miles north of here if we don't get rained out. Lots of arts, crafts, food, yard sales, and of course balloons.

Al
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2011
8:59 AM

Post #8792605

Happy Sunday everyone. Going to piddle around the house today and do a few things outside. I have been seed collecting and am planning to make an Echinacea bed. I am going to run a wire fence and have Clematis growing on it with Echies along the front. Its in full sun/part shade so it should do well. Have a good day everyone!
Mechelle
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

September 4, 2011
11:29 AM

Post #8792857

Hello everyone.. hope you all are well.. Hope those affected by tropical storm Lee are surviving the flooding and preparing for the incoming hurricane.. Looks like it may be a bad hurricane season this year..Sorry I havent checked in for a while.. I still have to use my sons computer or my phone and im not good at internet use on my phone..Mechelle do you still have eckies you need to sell off before winter? This was the sunrise yesterday morning as tropical storm Lee was settling over the gulf..

Thumbnail by huneybunch_2000

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2011
5:34 PM

Post #8793349

what is an eckie?
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8793413

I think we were talking about echinacea, also known as coneflowers. They seem to be growing well here, too.

Al

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2011
6:41 PM

Post #8793435

Hi peeps - wanna see my newest pet? LOL

Loves my Vitex tree!

Thumbnail by locakelly

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2011
7:23 PM

Post #8793493

Can he be house trained Kelly, does he do tricks for food? Looks awesome!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2011
7:53 PM

Post #8793529

I'm working on that Al - lol... He loves his Vitex tree!

Thumbnail by locakelly

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2011
5:22 AM

Post #8793894

lol. great pic

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 5, 2011
10:23 AM

Post #8794416

Love praying Mantis...
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2011
10:41 AM

Post #8797683

Hello e1. Just wanted to pop in and say hello. Its 70* here today and I plan to get out and mulch a little, weed a little and plant a little. Have some perennials to get in the ground to get settled in. Have been collecting seeds from the different Morning Glories I have . Hope e1 is doing ok and has a good day :)

Thumbnail by MechelleT

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2011
2:50 PM

Post #8797986

Hey Mechelle! Pretty MG - love the variegated ones;o) Hope YOU are doing OK my friend.

Anyone got any rain they can send me? Ugh!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2011
5:52 PM

Post #8798215

as long as it passes thru here on it's way to you. :-)
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8798328

Thank you Kelly :) I am doing good despite all that's been going on. My faith is all I need right now. And flowers.. Tee hee
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

September 7, 2011
9:13 PM

Post #8798523

hi everyone hope all of you are doing well. im thinking about going to bed.have a long day comming up so probly rest would be good..love and hugs to all. talk later nettie
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

September 9, 2011
9:53 PM

Post #8801660

rrm have you seen mekos is she sick or something i am starting to wory about her.wish she would come on and say hi.hope she is ok nettie

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2011
10:16 PM

Post #8801695

She's OK Nettie - saw her on Facebook earlier. Gotta hit the sack - I'm tired.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2011
7:31 AM

Post #8802033

Regardless of what you hear, the flood areas are well east of us in Binghampton and Johnson City. We've got plenty of rain but so far the dikes are holding up. Garden is growing great.

We're going to Corning today to meet up with son Richie and new girlfriend for dinner out at Longhorn's.

Have a great weekend all!

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 10, 2011
10:06 AM

Post #8802218

You have fun Al. enjoy your meal...
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

September 16, 2011
9:39 PM

Post #8811792

hi people we are haveing fall like weather here today down in the 50s with light rain ive been in a warm up suit all day trying to stay warm wish it would be a slow change give me a chance to get some warm woolies out so ill stay warm where has everyone gone love and hugs nettie.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 17, 2011
6:04 AM

Post #8811991

Cool here too Nettie. Don't know it has been vacant over here lately.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2011
6:22 AM

Post #8812007

It's been cooler here, Fall is definately in the air. We usually don't get frost until first or second week of October. Our fall flowers are coming in nicely. We have asters, dahlias, among others too numberous. These are the Heavenly Blue morning glories sent to me by Mekos last spring, I have a whole wall full of them on my back fenceline. The flowers are huge about 5" across.

Have a great day!

Al

This message was edited Sep 17, 2011 8:22 AM

Thumbnail by lycodad

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2011
10:54 AM

Post #8812276

Very pretty Al!
It has been chilly but pleasant here the last few days too. Have set out a few crape myrtles and lots of Coral Bells and Hosta and such. Working on closing the nursery by the end of the month. Kinda sad but heck, we tried! There have been a lot of thefts there in the last month. They cut my fence the other night and loaded up on fruit trees. Disgusted about it really but we live in a small community so ? we'll see.
Going to go make the kids some tacos before they get home and put some coleus cuttings in dirt. See you all later and hugs for everyone!
Mechelle
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2011
8:56 AM

Post #8813367

Charlie's going for another ride with us, this time to South Jersey Shore and Cape May NJ. We'll be over there for a week or so, just barefootin' the beach and touring lighthouses along the eastern shoreline. Back in about a week or so.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 18, 2011
10:11 AM

Post #8813429

Don't forget pictures for me AL. How exciting for you!!!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2011
10:38 AM

Post #8813449

LOL... that Charlie is CUTE! Have a great time. Take lots of lighthouse pics to share!
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2011
10:49 AM

Post #8813457

Can't wait to see pics and that Charley is too cute!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 18, 2011
11:08 AM

Post #8813476

Charley ready to go flying with AL. Got his Flying beanie on. He loves travelling with AL.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2011
3:55 PM

Post #8813811

Mechelle...do you have any rooting hormone, or are going to be getting any? I could use a half bag whenever you have some. Are you going too keep your license or whatever so that you can still order nursery type stuff? I'm really sorry to hear you are closing up, and the creeps that broke in and stole from you !!!!!!!!!!!!!! That just sucks! I know how excited your were last year. But you gave it a good shot!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 18, 2011
4:49 PM

Post #8813895

Poor Girl. Hope you don't give up entirely...
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2011
10:38 AM

Post #8814919

Hey Crit , I do have root hormone. Its not in individual packaging but I have it in large tubs. Wouldn't be a problem to send you some. I do plan to keep doing what I can here at home. Raining cats n dogs here today. We need it so much. Have a good day everyone!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8815555

Mechelle...That would be terrific. I got some in a sandwich baggie and it was about 1/4 to 1/3 full. I don't remember for sure. If I could get a baggie full from you, that would be sweet! Let me know.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2011
1:05 PM

Post #8823484

Can't believe you girls haven't talked about me for a whole week...

Okay, here we are in beautiful downtown Cape May NJ. We had a small effeciency room with a kitchenette right off from Ocean Street. Most of the houses are huge Victorians built in mid 1800's, lots of Bed & Breakfast type inns along the shoreline. This is about as close to the Atlantic Ocean as you can get, right across the street from here.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2011
1:25 PM

Post #8823493

We had a nice pebble beach in front, a little chilly to swim for us but a few brave souls were out there. The Atlantic coast was a defense line during WWII, our Navy actually captured a German U-boat right off the shoreline. The Cape May airport was once a training center for naval pilots before they shipped out on aircraft carriers during the war. The Coast Guard is still very active here.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2011
1:37 PM

Post #8823505

We were searching for "Cape May diamonds", which are actually quartz crystals found in the beach sand. They are everywhere and sparkle brightly in the sun on nice days.

Thumbnail by lycodad

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2011
1:50 PM

Post #8823526

Here's Charley checking out the controls of the C130 Stormwatcher used by the Coast Guard to research hurricanes and also used for special beach patrols during emergencies. We were able to take flight lessons on the taxiway of the flight museum for this neat plane.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2011
2:02 PM

Post #8823542

Okay, here's my last one. This is my mandatory lighthouse picture taken from the west side of Sunset Beach.

Have a great week all!!

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 25, 2011
2:10 PM

Post #8823551

Look at Charley!!! Wow!! That is great. Thanks for showing us the pictures AL.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8823752

Al, the houses in that first pic are gorgeous! I love old Victorian houses, and the ones that have the widow's walks around the ocean.

Charley looks to be having a great time!!!! lol

Love the lighthouse Al. Thanks!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 26, 2011
5:23 AM

Post #8824376

AL know how to keep his company entertained. I know Charley loves it...I know I do.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

September 27, 2011
8:36 PM

Post #8827345

hj al love the p[ctures its been nice here tgday ive been lazy all day may do some things in the morning but [ may not thanks for the pictures love nettie
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2011
8:49 PM

Post #8827356

Found these little aster type flowers along the sandy beach near the lighthouse. They appear big in the photo, but are only about quarter size. It's amazing anything grows in these salty marshes.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2011
8:59 PM

Post #8827363

We saw a lot of these wild sunflowers in bloom along the coast, too. It's a tall bushy plant, flowers about 3" across.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2011
9:07 PM

Post #8827365

I'm trying not to be crabby today... really

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2011
4:51 AM

Post #8827490

lycodad wrote:I'm trying not to be crabby today... really

Al

Too funny Al. Cute little horseshoe crab!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2011
5:58 AM

Post #8827553

Love the pictures.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2011
10:48 AM

Post #8827912

Great Pictures Al and good history lesson there too! I especially love the lighthouse pic. I have my downstairs hall bathroom decorated in a lighthouse theme. I would love to go to Cape Cod. Putting that on my mental bucket list :-)
Been such nice weather here. Warm with a cool breeze. All the critters love it outside when it's nice out like this.Have a good day everyone!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2011
3:32 PM

Post #8828314

Hi everyone! Great pictures Al! Love the lighthouse!

I think your flower is called a New England Aster or something similar... They grow wild all over in Maine too, in the middle of nowhere! They are pretty but likely considered weeds by those that have htem growing in their yards - lol. Charley looks like he's having a blast!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2011
9:45 AM

Post #8831665

PSST!! Today's Charleen's Birthday!! Charley told me so!

Have a great one!

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2011
1:32 PM

Post #8831874

Durn that blabbermouth mule. Can't keep any thing to himself. I give him and his longs a little extra feed. (I got them on a diet) poor babys.
thank you Dear AL...
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

October 1, 2011
4:47 PM

Post #8832051

Happy Birthday!!!! I hope you had a great day Charleen

Mit

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2011
6:04 AM

Post #8832526

Oh, Thank you Mit.
I love all my Birthday wishes.
They all mean so much to me.
You are all so Great! love you...
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

October 2, 2011
11:37 PM

Post #8833716

hi rveryone ive been a ljiile unger thr weather. got a shot at walmast it has mzde me feel bad son said to just hang tn their it was just a little reactyon. ill rememrer that when he gets his shot love nettie.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2011
8:22 AM

Post #8834156

Hope you feel better soon nettie.

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY Char. I haven't been online since Friday because I had my DGD's this weekend. Hope you had a great one and shared some cake with Charley and the other long ears.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2011
4:25 PM

Post #8834747

Happy Belated Birthday Charleen :-) Hope you had a fabulous day! Hugs!

Check out this little guy I came across a little bit ago. I have it on the Bug ID. I covered it and ran for my camera and it stood still for me while I played with the camera settings and let me take 29 pictures. I only ended up with about 6 good ones but you can't tell from the naked eye that those are it's offspring covering it's back. I'll let you know when I find out what it is and if and when the funeral will take place! HAHA

Thumbnail by MechelleT

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2011
4:33 PM

Post #8834763

Thank you Mechelle. That is a lot of spiders you have there.
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

October 3, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8834839

Thats a cool looking spider Mechelle.
Great photo ! Save that for the photo contest this year
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8834966

I had to get within an inch or two to get that good of a shot. For some reason the zoom on my new camera makes the picture come out blurry. I wish the bug expert would tell me what it is so I would know if its good or bad! Has to be at least 200 babies on its back.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

October 3, 2011
10:01 PM

Post #8835211

rrm happy birthday love and hugs nettie
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

October 3, 2011
10:19 PM

Post #8835224

i don,t think those spiders are bad i sure don;t need one in my house. they were always hangeing around in those ole buildings i worked in but that was all they did.nettie
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2011

Post #8835225

Its a wolf spider. Here's some interesting facts about them.

1. They have 8 eyes. 2 on top, 4 across the center and 2 low.
2. They are hunting spiders therefore they don't spin webs.
3. The female attaches the eggs to her stomach.When they are ready to hatch she breaks open the sack and they crawl on to her back where she carries them for a week.
4. There are many different species of wolf spiders.
5 . They are one of the only spiders that carry their babies on their back.
I thought that was interesting and thought I'd share itwith you guys. Nite Everyone
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2011
10:27 PM

Post #8835228

Forgot to say they are beneficial but they will bite but aren't poisonous.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

October 4, 2011
12:43 PM

Post #8835919

son says they are wolf spiders i think he is wright nettie.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2011
1:48 PM

Post #8836002

I knew it was some kind of dog critter, that's it. Wolf Spider.
Nettie, Thank you. You feeling better???? Thank you for Birthday greetings too...
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

October 5, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8837673

rrm tm some betterthe cough is much better need to get my energy back verry soon i hope. love and hugs nettie

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 6, 2011
6:23 AM

Post #8838101

Nettie, get you some honey and lemon. It will help. Well wishes dear Friend.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2011
7:04 AM

Post #8838145

I think nettie needs some hot toddies! lol

Really neat picture Mechelle!!!!!

I was thinking the other day that I haven't seen any of my tarantula's this year. I know my Polly dog killed one last summer, I was so disappointed. They never bother me and I just work around them. Maybe because there wasn't any grass to have bugs in for them.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

October 7, 2011
8:55 PM

Post #8840356

kelly do we need a new thread this one isever so long love nettie
1234dottie
Morgantown, WV

October 8, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8841328

Hello everyone. I have been checking out Daves garden site now for months. Asking questions and learning so much. But sometimes I would like to just chat with people who enjoy learning and enjoying plants like I have. I had to quit working 4 years ago. Gardening has brought such joy into my life. I can't do alot of things but this is one thing that I work at and it releases stress in me and I feel better. I am so itchen to start planting seeds already!!. I have boughten 16 different type of seeds to try. Yesterday I read about stratification. I felt like such a dummy what is that??? So I looked it up and it is about some seeds do better going through a cold time before you plant seeds. I assume it would tell you to do that with the seeds when you get them but I don't know if that is completely true. I would love to talk here if any one else is interested.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 9, 2011
5:55 PM

Post #8842544

WELCOME 1234dottie!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, this is a chatty bunch. There are several other threads I am on that are chatty as well. Hope you enjoy it here.

Stratification is a chilling of the seeds before planting. Like tulips, some need to go through a dormant 'cold period' before planting them. Leaving them outside in the cold of winter or more preferably putting them in the refrigerator for a time. Hope this helps.

Patti

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2011
6:18 AM

Post #8843155

Welcome Dottie. You cam to right place if it's plant ideas you need. If we don't know we can always try to find you a link...
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

October 11, 2011
8:28 PM

Post #8845760

crit the big spiders are just now out moveing around saw one in the front yard sunday i leave them alone don,t kill them we just go our seperate ways nettie.

This message was edited Oct 11, 2011 9:29 PM

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 12, 2011
6:03 AM

Post #8845988

Nettie, are you feeling better???
Here is a picture of one of my brugs. We have been getting a light rain but that is not what knocked tthem off, it was the wind that we had one night.

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2011
11:04 AM

Post #8846355

Our latest travels took to Clarence NY, just east of Buffalo for their annual pumpkin festival. This baby weighed over 1600 lbs to win the local event. That's me behind but I didn't grow it. They are tied into a series of festivals at other locations to establish a "World Title" but the final results weren't completed just yet. I don't think I've ever seen this many pumpkins in one place before, a real sight to behold!

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2011
11:17 AM

Post #8846363

How about an artillary cannon designed to launch 10" pumpkins over 1500 feet! It was pretty accurate, too. It was operated by compressed air. Unbelievable!

Al

This message was edited Oct 12, 2011 1:19 PM

Thumbnail by lycodad

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 12, 2011
11:35 AM

Post #8846382

Oh, My Gosh. On both pictures. You stay out of the way AL.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

October 12, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8846925

Wow Al! How fun! I love that, both the launcher and the huge pumpkin! Wish we had something like that around here! Sounds like a lot of fun!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2011

Post #8853489

Ya'll come back now, ya'hear me doncha?? Where you all hidin' on us?

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 18, 2011
5:47 AM

Post #8853764

I've been wondering that myself. Wher yo all is?????
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2011
7:27 AM

Post #8853885

I'm here...just nothing much to say. Too much going on around here that I'm sure you don't want to hear about.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2011
9:12 AM

Post #8854005

Just passing through, thought I'd say "Hi"..(or was it "high")

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 18, 2011
10:05 AM

Post #8854062

Hi everybody. I just been lurking but enjoying the pictures. Hope everyone is doing great. Sending drive by hugs to all. :-)
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2011
2:04 PM

Post #8855940

~~~~~~~~Waving to Al and meko's. Glad to see you two. Miss hearing from you. Don't be such a stranger.

Al, do you have anymore lighthouse pics?
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2011
3:34 PM

Post #8856111

How many more would you like, Patti? I've got a whole album full of them. Thought about putting it all on Snapfish when I manage to get time to sort them all out. Wifey wants me to publish a 12 month calendar, but I could go broke doing it.

This is the same one in Cape May, just a different view in the daylight.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 19, 2011
4:02 PM

Post #8856154

Beautiful!!!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8856171

Ditto that beautiful. I know it is a pain to put them on one by one, but if you put an album together, please post the link.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8856326

This one was taken at Long Point near Sodus NY on Lake Ontario. There was a pier walkway to it, but nobody was walking on it that day, the wind was about 40 mph and really nasty weather.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 20, 2011
6:19 AM

Post #8856850

That is great!! Love the waves crashing the embankments. Gorgeous..
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2011
6:24 AM

Post #8856855

Wow Al, I love that one with the waves crashing. That is beautiful. I didn't realize there were houses that were all white. I thought they always had some type of coloring on them too. Thanks!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2011
6:57 AM

Post #8856882

Here's one in the middle of the Hudson River in North Country above Albany NY. We kind of found it by accident because we were looking for a firetruck museum in the same area. Makes you wonder how they build these things right in the middle of a raging river.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2011
7:11 AM

Post #8856895

I could go on and on with this, but everybody would be hopelessly bored. This is my wife's garden lighthouse. It's only about 3' tall and sits along the fence in the backyard next to the garage. Not very big, but it guides us home at times.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 20, 2011
8:27 AM

Post #8856990

It is a bit smaller AL, but very pretty. Like the lighthouse in the river too, Really I like them all.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 20, 2011
9:37 AM

Post #8857084

Hi everyone. Al the lighthouses are awesome. I love lighthouses. I enjoy seeing your pictures. Where is Nettie? Hope she is ok and not still sick. Hugs Nettie, stay warm and take care, it is getting cold here. Was 38 last night suppose to be 39 tonight. Did someone forget to tell mother nature it is not suppose to be this cold till Dec, here?
:-| Have a great day everyone, hugs from SC. Got some pictures of my ;last blooms to share when I get to my other computer. They not on this one. Stay warm everyone.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2011
9:51 AM

Post #8857103

Great pics Al. Love the one in the river! That is so awesome!!!

I have a lighthouse similar to yours, and also a smaller one. They are too cool
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 23, 2011
6:55 AM

Post #8860021

Happy Sunday All! Took a shopping tour of Rochester yesterday to get caught up on essentials and eat lunch with daughter Becky. We found out that she is two months pregnant - this time with TWINS we think! This means that Livey is going to be a big sister to somebody, and we get to be grandparents again. I guess that was worth dessert, but I don't think she was too hungry.

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 23, 2011

Post #8860299

Twins!! Wow! How lucky for Livey. She can really be big Sissie...
Congratulations.
Charley is nodding his head "Yes"
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

October 23, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8860787

Oh Al! How exciting! You are going to love having twins grandbabies! They are so much fun!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

October 23, 2011
11:17 PM

Post #8861049

hi all im here in this craft, puter, bed room im thinking things need to happen in here ive let some things go but syill not enough. gave my oldest grand son my old drafting desk if i had known how much he would like it i would have give it up a long time ago, im glad it is gone. made some room for the new one. not very smart am i wish my storage building was biger .im going to get it don just need a good plan, and only keep what i need its not harde to give things away. love and hugs nettie. oh al just saw your post about new grandchildren best wishes.

This message was edited Oct 24, 2011 12:20 AM
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 24, 2011
6:53 AM

Post #8861307

Hi Nettie, glad to see you back. Hope you're feeling better.

Our forest leaves are beautiful, but some are starting to blow away with the wind and rain. I'm trying to get some seed saving done but it's been really damp and wet. Some of the pods have collecteed a nasty mold and can't be used.

Best wishes all!

Al
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 24, 2011
7:19 PM

Post #8862349

Hi everyone! Al Congratulations on the new babies and second time at being GrandPA. :-)
Hi Nettie, Glad you are doing well. Loved those light houses! I have always loved lighthouses! Something special to me. Still have a few blooms going but not much, I thought for sure everything would die after the cold week last week but we still ticking and blooming some. Hi Crit, Charleen, Sandy and all the gang. Give Charley and the long ear tribe a big hug. I figure as long as I aint pushing daises yet, I'm having a good day.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 24, 2011
8:22 PM

Post #8862428

Hi Jan, good to see you back.

Haven't decided on our next trip just yet, might be someplace warm.

Al

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8863487

Hi everyone - lost you for a bit - gotta catch up but wanted to pop on and say 'hi'!!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2011
10:37 AM

Post #8865844

Hope everyone is having a great day today. Sunny here but crisp and cool. Fall is playing with winter...
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2011
11:16 AM

Post #8865895

The weather people are talking about snow tonight, but so far it's only been grey, nasty cold and wet. We haven't even had a decent frost here which is unusual for this time of year.

Al
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2011
4:27 AM

Post #8866641

~~~~~~~~~~WAVING!!!! Hi all. Been sidetracked and haven't been around much.

Had our second freeze warning last night so DH and I drug the things I really didn't want to die up under the roof overhand on the patio and covered them up. The houseplants I had brought in the day before. I hate this time of year ... freeze warnings then back up to the high 40's or more for the lows. NOT ready to bring everything in.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2011
6:57 AM

Post #8866769

Yep - we got it. First official frost of the season last night, down to 23 degrees. I have hundreds of marigold seed pods to pick off when they harden up. We already harvested a ton of hollyhocks, coneflowers, and Black-eyed Susans. Also fermenting some tomato glop for my first attempt at saving seeds, not sure about this one but we'll see.

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2011
8:22 AM

Post #8866885

Smear em out on a paper towel or news paper, let them dry then get the seed.
How you doin AL?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2011
9:38 AM

Post #8870437

We got our first frost Saturday night! IT was awful! Took out my brugs. :-( And they were hanging in blooms. just my luck. Sure is cold here. Brrrrr. Did you get snow Al? Has anyone here got snow yet? They called for it for the N.C. mountains.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2011
7:22 PM

Post #8871191

Our weather has been chilly, but nice and clear for Halloween. Northeast got hit with terrible storm that luckily missed us.

We had about 200 beggers out tonight here in the city. They come for miles around just to hit our street, but it's all in fun. We went to Livey's Pre-K class and costume parade this morning, what a riot that was! She was a little mermaid, I'll have pictures tomarrow.

Al
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 2, 2011
3:06 PM

Post #8873588

Sounds like fun, Al. I bet she was a cute little Mermaid!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 2, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8873776

Sorry folks, I've been down bigtime. Got an awful bug, going back to bed.

Al
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2011
5:32 AM

Post #8878614

Happy Sunday morning all! Back on line again. My tomato seed fermentation came out alright, now have lots of Costuluto seeds. Have a great day!

Al
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

November 6, 2011
5:03 PM

Post #8879382

hi everyone im still alive but children brought me a cold wish

they had kept it ill be ok it will take a while for me to get back up to par.just wait until bjll gets jn from church with my vanila ice cream im gona be one sick woman better fhan being hungry love and hugs nettie.

This message was edited Nov 6, 2011 7:07 PM
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

November 7, 2011
10:06 PM

Post #8881023

hi mekos good to see you back on ive been trying real hard to get better, i was better but went to kaci baby shower. she sure got some nice things. she is a happy camper.i got her a stroler her uncle mark is getting a swing he thinks a swing is the thing she will get alot of good out of it. i think a rocking chair would be good.i gave her the chair i had with all my children. this will be my 5th great grand child and no 6 is already on the way.i dont feel all that old but can,t stay young forever.don.t think i could stand that just go with the flow love and hugs nattie
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2011
5:25 AM

Post #8881250

Hi Nettie, glad se you back.

Congrats on all the grandchildren. I think I'm going to get a few more in the spring. We're all hoping and praying.

Al
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2011
9:16 AM

Post #8881502

Okay Peeps - It's Election Day. Get Out There and VOTE for somebody!!

Al
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

November 8, 2011
4:58 PM

Post #8882129

hi all have a new one was going to be in december little boy she named him jace i think i spelled that ok if not my bad. weight 8 lbs 10 oz twenty in long a full head of black hair and a little on the loud side.but im sure that will change as soon as he can swing in his new swing. he was early so he will need extra care. im sure he will get it. to many people waiting to hold him me also.nothing as good as a new baby.love and hugs to all. nettie

This message was edited Nov 8, 2011 7:01 PM
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2011
8:03 AM

Post #8882879

WOW ... with that size it's probably a good thing he was a little early. He could of been a 10 pounder if she went any longer!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

November 10, 2011
7:38 PM

Post #8885475

hi people i had to go see that great grand baby he has an infection in his lungs they have him on oxygen and meds should get to come home next week. kacie will stay with him to help with feeding and bathing him i figured that would hapen. istayed at the hospital with billy and she just wonts to be with him. she is gona be a good mother. ive had a long day need to go to bed early if i can.hope you are all haveing a good day.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

November 11, 2011
7:22 AM

Post #8885811

Prayers will be with him and you all!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

November 11, 2011
9:30 PM

Post #8886658

thank you crit his mom told me this morning that he gets the iv out tomorrow so he must be alot better. im so happy for kaci i know sje would love to bring him home love and hugs nettie.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 13, 2011
7:46 PM

Post #8889109

OUTCH AL, feel better soon! Nettie, you too. This weird cold weather is really reaking havak on everyone. Prayers for the baby to get well and stay well, Nettie. Most of my blooms are all gone now, sleeping till spring arrives again. I hope just sleeping...

Thumbnail by mekos

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 14, 2011
8:35 PM

Post #8890686

Had to stand out in a cold wind, caught a serious chill in my chest. I've been about doubled over with this cough for over a week now. Going to visit my cardio doctor tomarrow in Rochester, maybe take a pill and get better.

Daughter Becky went for her ultrasound pictures last week, now we're talking about TRIPLETS!! Dear God...
She just started her third month and showing already. This could be a long trek for her, she's pretty petite to begin with.

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 15, 2011

Post #8891322

Oh, my Goodness. We will pray for healthy happy babies.
I got a cold too, been fighting it for a week. Coughing and "poppin'Ears" awful...
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2011
10:02 AM

Post #8892766

WOW Al ... hope the Dr. can make you feel better. Take care.

Will send prayers for your daughter and the triplets. I think that is kinda neat. I always wanted a multiple birth, but never got it. You only have to go through labor once that way. LOL

So sorry you are feeling bad also Char. I get that popping stuff in my ears quite often too. Praise God I have not had it for a while now. It was so bad at one point if they didn't get better and stay that way, they were going to put tubes in my ears. (I was 50! lol)

I have a question for you, and if you can't - won't, etc. do it, it s OK. I love the polymere of my Polly dog sooooooo much, I wondered if you could do another one for me of this picture. I miss her so much! I love the one you sent me before. I have it overlooking my bed, and I look at it all the time!

Thumbnail by Crit

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 17, 2011
10:09 AM

Post #8894213

Congratulations on the babies! Wonderful news. Prayers for a healthy birth. Charleen, and Al, so sorry about the colds. Sure hope it gets better soon. Prayers for relief and a better day. Just a quick drive by hug to everyone. Love you all. Sending you all a Good morning Angel!

Thumbnail by mekos

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 17, 2011
11:03 AM

Post #8894263

She is a glorious Angel, Love her. My Cold is finally getting over, at least now I got caught back up from being behind :-)
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2011
12:10 PM

Post #8894355

Feeling better already, doctor didn't even give me anything for it. Ain't that how it usually goes?

Went turkey hunting yesterday. Bagged a 22 pounder at Wegman's Market for just 49 cents/lb.
Saved a long walk in the woods and a lot of feather pickin' too.

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 17, 2011
1:06 PM

Post #8894424

such a Strong Hunter, you are AL. Tis a honor to know you. Since there's just two of us, Guess it will be baked chicken...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 17, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8894837

You know I saw on the weather where Barnesville Ga. got snow flurries today. Charleen is trying to get snowballs stocked up before I do. It was coming to me but didnt make it here. Had to bring my plants in the house since I still dont have the greenhouse covered yet. I cannot believe tempts at 30 this early! DRAT!!! Fudge!!! And all that good stuff. This is NOT normal!
Al, I think I'll go hunting like you did. Going tomorrow. Got some sweet pictures of Kaylee but on the other computer and I dont know how to get them from there on to here.Have to wait till I go back in there and send one. Have a good night every one. Hugs.

Thumbnail by mekos

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 18, 2011
6:11 AM

Post #8895321

If it snowed, I didn't see it. But I didn't want too.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2011
7:34 AM

Post #8895425

We got about 2" of that awful white stuff last night. I guess our tomato season is over...

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2011
7:26 AM

Post #8896734

We can't have our annual snowball fight just yet, it's too early. There's not enough ammo to go around.

Al
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2011
7:59 AM

Post #8899790

Good 'bag' there on the turkey Al ! :-)

If we get any of the white stuff, I want lots of it. Don't like it when you can still see the brown grass through it. I like it for Christmas, then spring can start.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2011
10:44 AM

Post #8899983

I'm with you Crit. I want one real good one and then I am ready for spring. BUT watch out Al, I'm waiting for it so I can make plenty of ammo. I wish we could get a white Christmas this year. That would really make my day.
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

November 21, 2011
12:39 PM

Post #8900154

Be careful what you wish for Jan !
I don't think anyone in Fair Play has ever heard of a snow shovel ;-)
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2011
6:14 PM

Post #8900657

Probably not, as we use 4 wheelers to get around then or horses and of course 4 wheel drive vehicles. :-)
No need to shovel... Just go out and play! Hi Mitt! Missed you.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2011
8:20 AM

Post #8902607

We're going to be gone for a while to visit with kids. Planning to stay away from the Black Friday shopping malls.

Have a nice Thanksgiving everyone! Enjoy the weekend! Drive careful.

Al
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 23, 2011
8:34 AM

Post #8902622

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!!
GREAT BIG HUGS and LOTs OF LOVE!

Thumbnail by mekos

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 23, 2011
9:06 AM

Post #8902664

Happy Thanksgiving day everyone.

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 23, 2011
9:00 PM

Post #8903563

∩ │◥███◣ ╱◥███◣
╱◥◣ ◥████◣▓∩▓│∩ ║
│╱◥█◣║∩∩∩ ║◥█▓ ▓█◣
││∩│ ▓ ║∩田│║▓ ▓ ▓∩ ║
•°*”˜˜”*°• From my house to your house •°*”˜˜”*°•
•°*”˜˜”*°•Happy Thanksgiving to all family and friends•°*”˜˜”*°
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2011
9:57 PM

Post #8904650

Great Turkey Day...delicious!

Al
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

November 24, 2011
10:54 PM

Post #8904685

Al
Have you ever noticed the dinner plates seem really small this time of year
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

November 24, 2011
11:00 PM

Post #8904687

hope you all had a good turkey day. i put to much food in my mouth it went from my mouth to my hips oh well ill loose it in the spring. jace and kaci are home he got passed around alot today, a very good little boy.none of my children were that good. i paied my bill to daves garden. so you will have to put up with me for another year.love and hugs nettie
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

November 24, 2011
11:09 PM

Post #8904688

rrm nice table you have there looks good fnough to eat. love nettie
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

November 25, 2011
8:40 AM

Post #8904988

WOW mekos... great message there!

Our Tday dinner is tomorrow at sil's. Can't wait!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2011
9:54 AM

Post #8913718

♫ Where have all the flowers gone?.. ♫

Al
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

December 2, 2011
10:52 PM

Post #8914505

hi everyone hope you are all feeling better its been a bad year for me hope next year is better. im at the hospital this next week for test im not looking foward to this but must do it. my canser is acting up after 15 years of resting im sure i will be fine.love and hugs nettie

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 3, 2011
5:30 AM

Post #8914627

Bless your heart Nettie. We will say prayers for you...
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8914739

Hang in there Nettie, you keep us inspired. Hope you're feeling better.

Al
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

December 3, 2011
12:34 PM

Post #8914974

thank you for the prayers i can use all i can get. ill hang in so i get to watch the grandchildren grow up.stress won,t kill you it iust makes you feel bad. love all of you. nettie
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 4, 2011
10:32 AM

Post #8915981

Psst! Today's Kelly's Birthday! Don't tell anyone...

Al

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2011
10:36 AM

Post #8915985

NETTIE - I am praying you are well my friend! I so hate hospitals!

Thanks Al - haven't been on much - had my surgery (hysterectomy) on Wednesday. Now I can say I'm spayed - lol.

I got home late Friday. Doctor released me at 12:30 and those yoo hoos did not get all my paperwork done until 6:30 last night. I was so close to walking out of that place ugh! A friend had the same issues when she had her gall bladder removed with the staff there. Nice hospital, nice doctors but the rest leaves a lot to be desired...

The surgery turned out to be way more involved than anticipated. When I had my c-section in 1999 apparently the ob basically cemented my uterus to my bladder. So not only did I have fibroids with their own zip code, I had the added issue of trying to remove the uterus from my bladder. Basically I was supposed to be in surgery an hour tops and it was almost 2.5 hours. Urologist and my doc had to nick away at the bladder to separate the uterus, leaving a small hole in the bladder that they repaired. No permanent damage but I do have a catheter until Tuesday just so my bladder has a few days to heal.

The doctors were awesome but the nursing staff in the daytime left a lot to be desired. Night staff was great and I mostly wanted to go home to be in control of my rituals - meds, etc. I am right now only taking Motrin 800 mg for pain plus an antibiotic because of the catheter. They were giving me Dilaudid (sp) IV as the morphine wasn't touching the pain, but I think it was mostly from gas and the nurses acted like they were paying for my medication! Every 3 hours IV and I was lucky to get it every 4 by the time they got their crap togehter. Hardest part was getting up and walking but I did right away the next am. Oh and coughing... Had to commandeer one of the boy's bedrooms for now - my bed is too high. I'll check in soon. Go Tuesday to have the cath removed at dr's office.

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 4, 2011
1:04 PM

Post #8916117

Wow, sorry for that Kell. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Al

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2011
4:36 PM

Post #8916325

One day at a time - it's been a long time coming so glad it's done!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 4, 2011
9:22 PM

Post #8916735

Well Get well soon to you Nettie and Kelly! hugs to you both and sending prayers to you for speedy recovery.
I'm claiming next year, 2012 is going to be our best year yet! I think this has just been the pits for most of us. Love you guys and HAPPY BIRTHDAY Kelly. Love you all.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 4, 2011
9:25 PM

Post #8916736

Hope everyone is being good this year, Santa is looking...

Thumbnail by mekos

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2011
8:56 AM

Post #8917174

Amen Jan!! Here's to 2012!!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

December 7, 2011
7:52 AM

Post #8919925

Hello all. Been MIA for a while but I'm still lurking around. :-)

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2011
9:45 PM

Post #8921004

Hello Friends: I am stalking Crit while she lurks.

Haven't read this thread in ages but wanted to say - WOW Mechelle - loved the wolf spider picture. I have such respect for them. Stories too, but o, I digress.

Al - I loved your picture of Charley up there in the airplane cockpit on vacation.

Peeps - just sayin' hi, and now goodbye. ;)

Hugs,
A.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

December 8, 2011
5:46 PM

Post #8922035

hi people well i go [n the mprning to have a lymph node removed big fat one under my arm ouch. say a prayer for me tonight. that will help i know that is all that will help. im not crazy about being cut on. but they think this will help them to come up with smothing i hope so to. love and hugs to all hope you are all well. nettie.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 8, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8922055

Good luck and best wishes Nettie, we'll be thinking of ya!

Al
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2011

Post #8922252

Praying for you Nettie, Keep us posted on the results. We love you. Stay warm everyone, turning colder around here. I have never seen it this cold this soon that I can remember. BRRRRR going to be in the 20's at night and 50 's in the days, for a week . Not normal for us here. I got plants all over my house in the floor, no room to walk just tiny path.Never got the plastic for the greenhouse so my house is the greenhouse this year. Lord help me make it till spring without getting bit by something. It is like a jungle in here.

Thumbnail by mekos

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 9, 2011
6:59 AM

Post #8922461

Praying for you my friend! Keep us posted! Mekos it has felt like winter her all week minus the snow. Brrrrr. In the low 30s at night and freezing in some areas. This is the desert for crying out loud lol.
This thread is long and I'm on my phone. Can someone start a new one?

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 9, 2011
8:21 AM

Post #8922543

No kidding! I didn't know if anyone else would so I did this here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1233053/

Come on over and chat!!! :)

A.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

December 14, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8929908

hi everyone just stoped by to check on all of you im still being tested should here from the lymph node they took tomorrow. not looking foward to that ill be fine what ever it is just keep me in your prayers.i will know more when i get back from fort smith in the morning.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 14, 2011
9:00 PM

Post #8930105

Click this link Nettie and come over to the new Thread...

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2013
2:42 AM

Post #9388863

We are back...XO...come see...http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1293657/
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2013
11:37 AM

Post #9413180

Where did everybody go????
Honey Im Home!!!!!!!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2013
11:46 AM

Post #9413187

Lol Yeay!!! John boy is home!!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2013
5:43 AM

Post #9416395

Mekos!!!!!! (jumping up and down) Yeaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! We are getting the group together the old and the new... Wonderful!!!!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2013
5:53 AM

Post #9416409

New thread Bumble over here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1297842/
Dont forget Johnboy!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2013
5:57 AM

Post #9416417

Yep, I noticed it after I got all excited...
Still bumbling along singing ♫ a mule ♪ song, Ta de da da dad

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America