Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Aroids: konjak done

Communities > Forums > Aroids
bookmark
Forum: AroidsReplies: 16, Views: 142
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

July 11, 2011
1:26 PM

Post #8686336

unfortunately, the heat, dry air and too much sunlight got the best of my large konjak. now the air is humid since the monsoon has arrived. too late for one of my konjaks though.

is there a chance that it will try and push out another leaf after this petiole shrivels up? or should i just dig it up and store it until the next growing season.?

i am hoping that a new bulb actually started forming. i doubt it will be big though. it's sad that i still have three months of good growing. i have learned my lesson will will grow them in the shade next year.

Thumbnail by tucsonplumeriaz
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

July 11, 2011
4:14 PM

Post #8686731

Good question. I am not sure as I have only grown these for 2-3 years. My biggest corm (8" around) refuses to wake up this year for me. The smaller ones are up and doing fine. I would say it MAY try to send up another but I can't be sure. Hopefully someone more experienced will reply!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2011
5:44 PM

Post #8686887

Mr. D, I learned that once the plant made flower, the original tuber will die making room for new offsprings underground. So during the growing season, keep caring the area as you'd normally do to nourish the young bulbils (our is that bulblets?)being formed even though above ground the leaflets and petiole are fafiding/ shriveling up.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

July 12, 2011
12:05 PM

Post #8688364

thanks for the comments. i might dig down to see if a new corm has formed. lily_love i was concerned about watering it if there is no leaf to draw up the water. are you saying that the bulbs will still pull in water w/o a leaf?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2011
12:34 PM

Post #8688433

You bet, I don't know what truly trigger the breaking of dormancy. Some is the temp. other is sunlight, but mine took months before I saw sign of life from the pot. So happen a Sunflower seedling volunteered in the pot. I nourished that sunflower seedling, then months later, the Konjac made its way to the life of the living-- so to speak. lol. I've posted another thread on my finding here on the Aroid forum. :))
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

July 12, 2011
1:27 PM

Post #8688521

okay, i will give the pot more direct sunlight but keep the soil moist. we'll see what happens.

where is the thread?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2011
1:40 PM

Post #8688537

Here is the thread; http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1172885/

And the plants todate;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

July 12, 2011
1:45 PM

Post #8688545

okay, i saw that thread. wow! humidity goes a long way. LOL
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

July 17, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8698480

The leaf on my A. albispathus was broken off but after a few weeks a new one grew. It was smaller but grew right into winter which has given it some extra time to catch up. I'd keep it from drying out and you could get a comeback, although smaller in size. You'd be better off not interfering with the tuber/roots as you'll only damage anything that's there and further restrict its development. I think nearly all Amorphs do better in good light but shade.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 17, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8698489

tropicbreeze, thank you for your input. Is the Amorph your native plant? I've seen your thread in regard to these plants. They're fascinating! They def. have a benefit of longer growing season there in Australia since I gathered your winter is mild there? Here in our zone, we do get some light frost, occasional freezes during the winter.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

July 17, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8698572

Only 2 are native here (in the north only), paeoniifolius and galbra, the other 200 odd species come from around south east Asia, New Guinea. The winters are milder here. Although, I tend to grow plants that need high temperatures so the weather here can be borderline sometimes. Like this winter has been the coldest on record here. But my Cyrtospermas and the A. titanum still seem to cope.

RachelLF

RachelLF

July 17, 2011
7:53 PM

Post #8698633

It's good to read that your Cyrtospermas are still doing well Tropic. Have you had time to take note of the water temperatures they are growing in at this time of year for you?
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

July 18, 2011
10:47 AM

Post #8699687

thanks for the added input tropicbreeze. i followed lily_love's lead and have kept it going. i am giving the pot more sun for heat and keeping the soil moist. i will move it into bright indirect light as soon as i see signs of new growth. thanks everyone for helping me!
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

July 18, 2011
8:32 PM

Post #8700878

Rachel, the only thermometer I have for that is the one in my medical kit and I don't think they're any good in that range. Should get myself an aquarium one.

RachelLF

RachelLF

July 19, 2011
6:56 PM

Post #8702665

They don't cost much;). I know you really don't have to worry about such but I was just curious after I read you were having a colder Winter than normal. Looking forward to viewing more pictures from you.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

July 20, 2011
2:17 AM

Post #8703026

Rachel, I'll have to try to remember next time I go into the big smoke. I have to work out what they did on that other site, then I'll post some more pics. The newest Lasia spinosa flower/inflorescence is much bigger than the first few were.

RachelLF

RachelLF

July 20, 2011
6:53 PM

Post #8704788

I'll keep checking the other sites but we would enjoy viewing them on this site too. I'm looking forward to seeing those newer inflorescense from your Lasia. Mine is still yet to produce one but I've had to repot it twice to larger pots since the advice you gave me. It sure is proving to be a fast and easy grower.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Aroids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
How to ID elephant ears!!! bwilliams 37 Jul 5, 2012 11:15 AM
Colocasia Thai Giant- pics please AuntB 54 Aug 23, 2008 3:03 PM
Aroids to trade: skilledwithands 23 Jun 13, 2008 12:41 AM
The most over looked aroid in the araceae family. bwilliams 17 Apr 29, 2010 8:18 PM
Which of these is A. podophyllum and what's the other? Carter 7 Oct 1, 2007 3:24 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America