AuthorContent

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2011
9:37 AM

Post #8688001

The class is now full. We'll have other dyeing classes that folks will be welcome to participate in later on. Anyone is welcome to visit the new 'class thread' and chat along with us!

Here's a thread for discussing the different techniques and methods we use to put color on (or take color out) of fabric.

Dyeing, sunprinting, overdyeing, discharge printing, tea dyeing, batik and all sorts of other fun things will take place here!

Oct. 10,2011
Here are the participants in the dyeing class so far. I'll take names until Wed evening the 12th.

1. Kizmo
2. Quilter5bdsr
3.Qwilter
4.abbisgranma
4.barefooT
5.taters55
6.mittsy
7.denimangle
8.psychw2
9.Seedtosser1
10.housse301

Thumbnail by melody
Click the image for an enlarged view.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2011
12:34 PM

Post #8688434

Barb asked about overdyeing. That is where you take something that is one color already...like the print fabric that just never 'goes' with anything...but you just had to have...and dyeing another transparent color over the top of it...it changes the color, but the print still shows through.

Take a plain little floral with a light yellow background...cut it into 4 pieces. Leave one as-is. Dye the other with transparent blue...voila...green fabric. Dye the next piece with camel...now you have a yellow piece, a toast colored piece and a green piece ...all the same print. You need a bright, so you can go for a more intense yellow over the top of the pale, or you can put pink over it for a mango color. Now you have 4 different colors in exactly the same print. Comes in handy when you need a repeated pattern, but the fabric manufacturers don't give you one.

I also overdye old pieces of bluejeans and use the denim in projects, like the Kindle covers. The pink and green are overdyed khaki in this purse I made. The zebras are purchased from an outreach program for African women.

Tea dyeing is similar to overdyeing..the tea...or coffee, mutes the brighter shades.

Thumbnail by melody

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2011
1:53 PM

Post #8688557

Where would one go about getting these dyes. All I can remember were the envelopes my Mom had of Cushings dyes. And I remember she only used a white enamel pan to place them in. And what did she use white vinegar for? Wow, Melody, my Mom passed in 1987 and I am so reliving these things. A bit teary-eyed but so happy. Thank you...

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2011
2:21 PM

Post #8688604

My Mom is still with me, and at 82, she tells the story of when she came home from school (she went back for her teaching degree in 1970) and found me tie dyeing my bedspread and curtains in her washing machine (I was about 14 at the time) She was NOT impressed. I didn't know till later that the curtains weren't meant to be washed...they fell apart in the washer...

I use Dharma Trading and Pro Dye for all of my dyes. (warning...freeze your credit cards in a block of ice before visiting these links. I am not responsible for the charges incurred!!)

Dharma gets my mail order business and Pro always sets up at the Paducah Quilt Show, so I give them a big chunk then. (I like to support the vendors that come to Paducah)

Pro Chemical: http://www.prochemicalanddye.com/home.php
Dharma: http://www.dharmatrading.com/

Both are excellent vendors and I've never had a minute's trouble out of either.

On cotton fabric, I use fiber-reactive dyes. The fabric is soaked in a soda ash/water solution and I mix the dye in squirt bottles. (my hairdresser saves perm solution bottles for me. They work great...and I have a bunch of the clear mustard/ ketchup bottles that you get at Wal Mart for a buck, for larger amounts. I also have a collection of plastic pipettes with a bulb on the end for little areas.

The tied stuff gets squeezed out and blotted with a towel. I can then drip and drizzle the dye where I want it. (for tied items) For the large things, I use an old cheap water bath canner...works perfect and you can usually pick one up at a yard sale for pennies. This works great for old linen tablecloths too...I buy the ones that have yellow spots for almost nothing and overdye them...spiffs them right up.

Thumbnail by melody

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2011
2:58 PM

Post #8688700

Oh...vinegar is a mordant. It helps 'set' the dye.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8688833

very nice Melody, thanks for sharing...I am with Marion on this one...I will be good...I will be good...always wanted to get into dying but do too many different things as it is...

I have a few thousand dollars in "wood tools" and at least that much in my fabric stash, and a few sewing machines...and much more in "beads" Really don't need another "hobby"

but it sure brings pleasure, to see what you are up to :-)

was that a jean jacket??? that is fantastic!!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 12, 2011
4:10 PM

Post #8688852

Oh no!! Melody you didn't! LOL I will be good, I will be good, I am trying to be good, I am trying to be good, have charge card in freezer...

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2011
4:22 PM

Post #8688874

holding out my hand to you Marion!!! so we can be good together!!!! and enjoy from afar...
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 12, 2011
4:37 PM

Post #8688896

Thanks Thunder, I have hold of it. Together we will be strong...so I keep telling myself.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2011
5:03 PM

Post #8688951

Oh my!!! They say timing is everything and Norm got word today that the job he applied for is his!!!! After 2 1/3 yrs with only a part time job for a few months...we are over the moon and now I may color it too!!!!!
Thank you so much for your explanations Melody. I AM going to try this. Most likely, I will wait until Fall when I hope most of my sewing obligations have been caught up. Got a lot going on this summer and it is just rushing by. Is there any good reading material you can recommend? I'm really getting the hook!!!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 12, 2011
5:22 PM

Post #8688986

Congratulations Barb and Norm. That is wonderful news indeed.

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8689031

melody wrote:Oh...vinegar is a mordant. It helps 'set' the dye.

I use a cup of white vinegar and one or two color-catch sheets (depending on the size) whenever I wash a quilt for the first time for this very reason as I don't pre-wash fabrics. With the quilts I give away, I include one or two color-catch sheets and washing instructions including the vinegar.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2011
7:25 PM

Post #8689278

I will join Thunder and Marion, maybe together we can resist!!! LOL

WOW that is GREAT news Barb! It has be such a relief for your husband and you.

SewSassee

SewSassee
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2011
7:51 PM

Post #8689318

I started to read the posts but then got so excited about it all I had to chime in... can't wait to check out the links! =)

SewSassee

SewSassee
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2011
7:55 PM

Post #8689326

Thunder -- you and me, dye date...lol... well, family dye night... ha... I want to try this sooooo much! I use to sun dye t-shirts for the kids but that was about it. Never really thought much about dying fabrics but then again I never thought I would be this heavily into sewing, so ha.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 13, 2011
3:27 AM

Post #8689545

It is cost effective to do this as a group venture. A bit of dye can go a long way.
SHould check w/quilt group & see if others are interested.
Somewhere I have some very good instructions for a beginner. I'll have to dig them up & will gladly email to anyone interested.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2011
5:48 AM

Post #8689648

That would be wonderful Jean and I would very much appreciate it. I'm fascinated by the thought that I may have found another connection with my Mom. She was so good with a needle and I miss her. This makes her feel close...

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2011
6:05 AM

Post #8689674

Wonderful news Barb!

Let me get a plan here. If you all would like to do a group project, I'll be glad to get everything together and divided up into individual packets. I'm always ordering from Dharma, so what I'll do is get some primaries and a couple of neutrals just for the 'class.'

Since colors can mixed into an unlimited number of combinations, none of the projects would look exactly alike. I know what to order and how to divide it up, so it will be as inexpensive as it can possibly be to try this. All you all will need is your own fabric and a few household supplies that are common to everyone. The PFD (prepared for dyeing) fabric is nice, but I've had excellent results with plain old white cotton...just wash it first, no fabric softener.

How does that sound? We can talk about techniques and the process, and I'll give a basic how-to for using fiber-reactive dyes.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2011
6:08 AM

Post #8689680

Whoopee!!! That sounds wonderful. Now I need to go find a pot to use. Is there anything special I should look for?
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 13, 2011
6:17 AM

Post #8689692

Help Thunder and Pat!! Melody is starting to make this really hard to resist...have a large pot. LOL

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 13, 2011
7:22 AM

Post #8689779

Ohhhhhhh Thunder... I'm getting WEAK!! Help me... I don't need another hobby. I don't need another addiction (all of my hobbies lead to addiction, I'm just one of THOSE people... )

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 13, 2011
8:29 AM

Post #8689895

I am not tempted, I am not tempted, I AM NOT TEMPTED, I will not be tempted, I will not be tempted...

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2011
10:59 AM

Post #8690181

I am !!!!!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2011
11:28 AM

Post #8690213

What I'll do is figure up the cost of a 'kit' that I put together. We can decide when to do this and can hold off a bit if you want to, but schedule it for a month, or two months out if that will help everyone get their ducks in a row.

Oh, yeah...we're going to have another Pixel County Fair this year, so start figuring out what you want to enter!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 13, 2011
3:24 PM

Post #8690616

I ...WILL ...NOT...be ...tempted...!!!!! just gonna watch...

I love fabrics, and I absolutely love tie dye, but I positively do not have any money for any new projects... :(

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 13, 2011
4:31 PM

Post #8690721

I'm holding YOUR hand Thunder hoping we can both survive the temptation. Would it be easier to Unwatch this??? YES but I can't bring myself to do that! LOL

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2011
5:03 AM

Post #8691434

Why don't we try for after the kids go back to school? That way we may be able to work with no interruptions. That is, of course, if all the little ones are in school!!!! I seem to have more ambition when the air is clean and cool than I do this time of year. Besides, so many are on vacations etc. now. Does that work Melody? That also would give time for saving pennies if need be... Just my thoughts.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2011
5:40 AM

Post #8691493

Sounds fine to me. We can discuss techniques and you all can ask questions. Shoot for sometime after the end of Sept? (I'm hosting a Roundup on Lake Barkley the weekend of the 15th...anyone want to come?)
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2011
5:43 AM

Post #8691501

Darn, I had to work late last nite & totally forgot about dragging out my info/materials to see what I have.
I'll email myself so I can remember, although I won't get home till late tonite either.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2011
5:52 AM

Post #8691516

Barb, you just had to come and tell us about this!!!

I would love to learn also!!! Now please tell me where to get the PFD cloth. Guess I can use regular cotton, and I will make sure to pre wash it.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2011
5:58 AM

Post #8691522

Most large fabric stores...on-line or otherwise, have it. (Hancock's of Paducah does) If you go with plain white cotton, get a good grade. It doesn't have to be the most expensive, but something you'd actually use. I've seen folks start out with cheap muslin and when they get finished, are upset with themselves for not using better stuff. (been there done that) You won't use it in a project because the fabric is inferior...and you have this great design and color.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2011
6:30 AM

Post #8691574

I used the white & off-white TOT from JoAnns and had excellent results. SInce I didn't know what to expect, or how it was going to turn out, I didn't wan't to use a lot of a better fabric. I did have a yard of the PDF and got the same results.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2011
6:38 AM

Post #8691584

The results will probably be about the same, but the fabric may not be up to the standards you have for your project. Don't dye anything you wouldn't use.

You'll think, "well, if I mess it up, it won't be a big expense" and then you'll do great, and have this thin piece of fabric that doesn't go with the rest of the materials.

If you want to really penny pinch, go to a thrift store and get a 100% cotton men's white shirt (not perma-press) and cut it up. You can usually get one for a buck or two and some of the fabric is really nice. (I got 4 Bill Blass XL men's shirts for 25 cents apiece back in the winter...nice fabric!)

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2011
4:23 PM

Post #8692596

Now I'll know what to look for and where to go!!!! Goodwill - watch out!!
I like the idea of getting the materials before hand. Is there any amount you would recommend for us to get to try this?
If it's white I suppose it really doesn't matter as I can Always use it...Should it be perfectly plain or may we use a TOT?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 14, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8692723

Jean mentioned she used TOT. Do you have a picture of how it turns out with a TOT? I'd love to see it.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2011
5:59 PM

Post #8692760

I've actually used the fabrics in some of the swap blocks. All of that is now packed & gone. The "pattern" of the TOT dyes darker than the background.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 14, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8692771

WOW... that sounds VERY cool... I will NOT weaken... I do not need another hobby. WHEN did you say you were gonna do this??? LOL

Seedtosser1

Seedtosser1
Glenview, IL

July 14, 2011
7:10 PM

Post #8692913

I'm in total control here...Read all!

I've only dyed 14? shirts with those kits for kids...would love to learn this technique!

hmmm...yep total control---NOT, sigh I admit. hmmm, hmm trying for composure, lolol will lurk around again

...'course I only need the tiniest bit of arm twisting, er, uhm I mean suggestion...ahahahah

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2011
5:01 AM

Post #8693510

Twisting your arm Judy!!!! We aren't going to be doing this until late Sept. That gives us time to save some pennies. And gives Melody some time to prepare for all our questions. Melody, would you like us to send some $ towards the dyes etc? I'd be happy to...

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2011
5:15 AM

Post #8693530

I have an account with Dharma so it won't be a big deal...and before I order the supplies, everyone will know exactly how much it will cost. I'll try to get something figured this weekend so you'll know how much to plan for.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2011
9:15 AM

Post #8693912

Still trying to resist..., help Thunder and Pat!!!! I have a really bad feeling I will lose on this one and end of doing it. Oh well, can't learn any younger.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2011
9:37 AM

Post #8693946

If ya'll want, we can start with some natural dyes. We've all got plants, and it is cheap.

The only thing about natural vs. synthetic, naturals aren't completely colorfast. They'll fade in the sun and with repeated washings. Using a mordant to set the dye only slows down the process. It is a very vintage look and feel to the fabric however, and would be entirely authentic if you are wanting to reproduce some old 19th century colors. I'd probably make something like a wall hanging, pillow top or table runner instead of a kid's quilt. Items that didn't have rough everyday treatment will be best for keeping your naturals bright. We could even incorporate some flower pounding if you want.

We could get familiar with how coloring fabric works and we could each work with materials available in our backyard or supermarket.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2011
9:46 AM

Post #8693963

Melody, you are making this harder and harder to resist. Bring it on. LOL

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2011
9:48 AM

Post #8693969

That sounds interesting! What do we did to gather? Most likely will have to be from the supermarket, as there is not much growing here in this Texas heat!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2011
9:59 AM

Post #8693989

This is an excellent link with a good list of materials and what color each produces. Rather than copy it here, ya'll can just go and look it over. You will each know what you have available in your area. We don't have to do exactly the same thing, but we can work along parallel lines...hey, we might even swap some of our colors...that could be a neat swap!

http://www.pioneerthinking.com/crafts/crafts-basics/naturaldyes.html
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2011
11:12 AM

Post #8694112

I now have found a wonderful use for the Virginia Creeper that seems determined to take over my beds. One question Melody. It says something about "alum mordant" could you explain a little more?

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2011
11:18 AM

Post #8694116

Mordants are substances that set the dye and make it more permanent. Vinegar, salt and alum are the most common. You'll find alum in the spice section of the supermarket or in the canning and freezing dept. (you make pickles with alum too) In the days before synthetic dyes, people found that these substances were helpful in producing more durable colors. (You don't want to know what they used in Medieval times...*grin*)
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2011
11:43 AM

Post #8694150

LOL okay then I certainly won't ask what they used. Thanks much. I guess you might say I am very interested now with this new idea of using things from my yard. Goodbye some Virginia Creeper!!!! Not today but certainly on my list for the not to distant future.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2011
1:00 PM

Post #8694256

Wow - all kinds of info there too!!! I have bookmarked the site...
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

July 16, 2011
4:04 AM

Post #8695316

Oh my gosh count me in. And if we could start once kids are back in school works for me. Melody I just love the jean jacket.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2011
9:07 AM

Post #8701607

I added this as a link off 1st post of the Tips Thread.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2011
7:02 AM

Post #8715959

I promise, I haven't forgotten this...I'm just covered up behind the scenes at the moment.

I'll be back before very long with some fun exercises!

Seedtosser1

Seedtosser1
Glenview, IL

July 26, 2011
9:00 AM

Post #8716190

Cool, can't wait...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 15, 2011
2:46 PM

Post #8758054

Hey Melody, if I wanted to just "warm up" the white and black print to something not quite so white, how would I tea dye the fabric?? I don't mind if it's not real even, what kind of tea and how is it done?

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2011
2:59 PM

Post #8758077

I like loose tea...coffee works too. Make sure your fabric is free from any fabric softener.

I make it double strength. 2 teaspoons of tea to 1 cup water, bring to a boil and strain or remove the bags. Squeeze the bags. Wet your fabric and put it in the solution. It will look like it is getting really dark,but most of it will rinse out. Stir the fabric to prevent a mottled look. When it looks two=ice as dark as you think you want it, rinse the fabric in cool water and then soak for 20 minutes in 2 parts vinegar, 1 part water and two heaping tablespoons of uniodized salt. Rinse well, dry and iron as usual. If the fabric is going to be used, rather than something like a wall hanging or decorative pillow, dye will be best. Tea, like all natural dyes is not permanent like the synthetic dyes. They will fade over time.
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

August 17, 2011
3:18 AM

Post #8760752

Melody was wondering if maybe you can give me some advice...
Going to visit my sister and wanted to get all kids together and tye dye t-shirts.
I went to joanns and there is a product called Dylon perm. fabric dye will this work better then the ritz?
Do I still need to soak in soda ash?
I want BRIGHT colors that will stay for long time.
Please any help or suggestions.
Thank you.
Laura

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2011
5:14 AM

Post #8760848

Yes, I've used Dylon and it is very good. Rit is pretty bad, but better than nothing. Yes, you'll still need to use the soda ash. If the Dylon doesn't come with any, get the PH-up at a pool supply store. Dylon sometimes comes with little packets of soda ash that are fine to use. The pool chemicals are less powerful, so dissolve about a cup of of in a gallon of warm water. You can then pour it into a bigger container and add another gallon of water to make your soak.

If I'm available when you're doing this, I'll help you over the phone.
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

August 17, 2011
6:20 AM

Post #8761012

Melody thank you soo much.
Let me just see if I have the steps right.

Wash cotton fabric before use.
Soak fabric in soda ash.
Mix dye in squirt bottles.
Put color on fabric.
Let set 15 min.
Do I rinse fabric next or put fabric in vinegar? And for how long?
I know so many questions.
Just trying to get it right.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2011
7:03 AM

Post #8761114

I let the dye sit on the fabric overnight. Pop the pieces in plastic bags to keep them damp.Your colors are much deeper. I know that the Dylon instructions indicate much less time, but overnight (8 to 10 hours) is best. I've let dye sit on fabric as much as 3 or 4 days.

Rinse in very hot water...I use the washing machine. Let it run through the wash cycle on hot. Add a little Dawn dishwashing liquid to help remove excess. Add a cup of vinegar to the rinse cycle. After that has finished, run through another cycle with plain water. If you still see colored water, run it through a 3rd cycle.
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

August 17, 2011
7:16 AM

Post #8761130

Ok got it and thank you so much.
I will let you know how it all turns out and post pics.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2011
7:50 AM

Post #8761159

:o)
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 17, 2011
1:41 PM

Post #8761657

OMG I have longed to dye my own fabric for quilts ... now I have the room but not the time... Joinging hands with psychw2, Thunder and Marion. I can see the 5 gal. buckets lined up out in the yard ...
It will have to stay on my want to do list for new ...

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2011
2:42 PM

Post #8761729

You'd be surprised how little space you need, especially if you do pieces in 1 yd or less in size Once they are tied, they easily fit in a zip-loc bag. I keep dyed pieces in their bags, in an old disposable turkey roster pan (the tinfoil kind) You can pile a bunch of bags in one of those.

Now the piece I did for my nephew's dorm room wall...8' tall by 15' long was a different story...but he was the coolest kid in the dorm!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 17, 2011
5:55 PM

Post #8761981

Do you have any pictures of that wall?
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 17, 2011
7:33 PM

Post #8762128

I have been wanting to do graduated dyeing one or two yards per bucket.5 or 6 buckets takes a little more room .and some cooler weather ...lol
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 18, 2011
5:05 AM

Post #8762505

I use the gal size zip-loc bags with a flat bottom. You can get 1 yd in each bag and quite a few bags in a plastic storage bin.
And you can rinse out the bags & use them over.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2011
5:30 AM

Post #8762532

I've done the graduated dyes in the bags too. I flip them around several times to make sure there are no overdyed or underdyed pockets. I'll see if I can come up with some wall pictures...,that was two computers ago. Korey should have some if I don't.
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

August 18, 2011
6:36 AM

Post #8762745

Ok one more question...
When I mix the dyes is there a shelf life?
Can I cap bottles and use again?
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2011
6:41 AM

Post #8762750

WOW Do the bags really stand up .. havent ever tried them ..

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2011
6:56 AM

Post #8762784

I cap extra and put it in the fridge (it wipes right up if you spill it...trust me..) I try to use it within a week. It will still set color even a month out, but it isn't as intense. If I have old dye, I usually treat it as a pastel, but you'll get varying degrees of intensity. Don't use it if you are going for something exact...it is fine on tee shirts and fabric that doesn't have to be a specific hue. It is just as color fast as fresh dye, but it doesn't strike with the same intensity. I've not seen much difference in week old dye and fresh, as long as it is refrigerated.

And yes, the zip locs work great and hold well. I've even laid them on my dining room floor (on a piece of plastic for safety) but my kitchen and dining room is a commercial grade composite that absolutely nothing sticks to. (ask me how I know...)
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8762847

no room in here for that and no way I would do this in the house we are building .. don't think the hard wood would like it ...lol ill be doing it outside ... :)
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 18, 2011
11:02 AM

Post #8763191

My bags "cooked" on the driveway, on a sunny day, for a few hours. I went out and massaged the bags every hour or so.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2011
11:11 AM

Post #8763200

Heat helps speed up the process. You can even microwave them, but I've never done that with cottons. I've microwaved tons of silk scarves, but those use acid dyes. (the dye isn't acid, you use an acid like vinegar to help set it) The fiber-reactive procion dye works on all natural fiber, but the acid dye only works on natural fiber with a protein base. (wool and silk) I like acid dye on silk...the colors are vibrant and intense.

Here's some of my silk scarves, they sell these in the Quilt Museum Gift Shop...these are my 'supernova series'

Thumbnail by melody

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 18, 2011
12:31 PM

Post #8763296

Even my husband saw these and said "WOW, she's an artist!"
Thea1962
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2011
1:46 PM

Post #8763386

Oh wow...I love those scarves, and I am not even a scarf person!!! lol
Those would make beautiful gifts!!
You have such a talent and an "eye" for colours.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2011
3:10 PM

Post #8763484

Thanks!
I majored in Graphic Design in college...never used it professionally until the last couple of years, but it sure helps when I need to do something creative.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2011
4:57 PM

Post #8763622

the scarves are AWESOME!!

how about a little info about sunprinting

Seedtosser1

Seedtosser1
Glenview, IL

August 18, 2011
7:23 PM

Post #8763833

Hi...Well I'm a little bummed. But I have to back out of this fun little project.

Melody, hope this doesn't screw up your kits/sorry.
I will be watching all of your creations...

Have fun

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2011
5:31 AM

Post #8764284

Sunprints, sure. I'll actually do a bit and take pictures. I'm also thinking of doing an article showing how to use natural dye materials and dyeing the fabric.

No problem on the tie dye thing. It won't mess the materials up at all. I was planning on adding the extra to my stash if there was any left over. I will figure the cost of one kit and if anyone wants to jump in at any point, I'll know how much it will cost...

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2011
6:03 AM

Post #8764387

I'm still in for sure!!! Has to be when the weather cools a bit for me. Glad it is in the fall...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2011
6:48 AM

Post #8764498

I agree, the scarves are WONDERFUL. I hope to get into dying silks if I ever get retired & move south!!!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 19, 2011
9:42 AM

Post #8764738

melody
that will be so cool thanks

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2011
1:51 PM

Post #8783448

Several of you were asking about over-dyeing, so here's a great example.
Jean sent me some cute pink fabric with green frogs. It looked nice with the rest of my prints, but when I over-dyed it with just a bit of light gray, it was absolutely perfect. The gray toned it down just a touch and since the other fabrics were more muted, it slid into the slot I needed perfectly. I still needed the bright, but just a shade different. If you don't have them side by side, you'd never know one was dyed.

Thumbnail by melody

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2011
1:51 PM

Post #8839832

Ok, who is interested?

I can do 3 primaries and black fiber reactive dyes (the kind of dye that did your charms that I sent) for roughly $10.00, including shipping. I can add colors for about 60 cents per unit. This will include enough dye and soda ash to do a couple of yards of fabric (maybe more) using the ice dye or the tie dye. This is the cheapest type of dyeing we can do. You'll need to supply your own fabric, containers, salt and vinegar. The price is rounded up a bit and based on 8 participants, as soon as I have a class together, I'll give you the final total, but the basic kit will be right around $10...and that includes the priority shipping (it is mostly shipping...this stuff is cheap) I suggest the basic kit and you can choose to add other colors, if I have them..at the .60 increments. I would suggest no more than 2 or 3 extras if you're feeling brave. (olive, gray, camel and mauve are all good neutrals to tone and adjust color) Too many and you'll get overwhelmed...baby steps...

What I'll do is divide the dye up into little zip locs and each zip loc will make a pint of full strength dye. You can mix your own colors once you get them liquified.

The sunprint materials will be quite a bit more expensive, so we'll hold off on those for the time being.

Are we ready? Who wants to play?

This is a sunprinted tote I made last week. The local quilt shop had us draw color swatches (from a paint store) out of a bag and you had to use only the colors on your 2 chips. I got blue and green.

Thumbnail by melody

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8840120

Melody, what are the primaries? Red, yellow, blue? I pulled up the Dharma color lists, wow, so many to choose from! I did notice there was an Ivory and Ecru. Are we to use the primaries to mix our own colors, using the black to darken or am I thinking too hard of my old high school art class???? LOL

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 7, 2011
7:20 PM

Post #8840298

I'm In!!!!! Just let me know when to send the check!!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2011
4:05 AM

Post #8840472

Me too!!!!!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2011
5:48 AM

Post #8840521

Primaries for these dyes will be Turquoise, Fuchsia and Lemon Yellow. Those are the recommended primaries and I've found them to be excellent. Add a touch of yellow to the fuchsia and you have true red. Mix the yellow and turquoise to make green. Mix red and green and you have brown. Fuchsia and turquoise makes a nice purple. Make tones with your black... (maroon, navy, rose, olive...) We'll get a lesson in color mixing...oh yeah, everyone will get a packet of 'River Bottom' It is a muddy brown and you won't find it on Dharma's charts. When they have a batch of dye that does not match their chip exactly, they have a naming challenge. Then they sell the newly named dye until it is gone...I won the last one and they sent me a monstrous tub (the winner gets one free) It makes a great 'toner'...as well as a nice brown.

I'm going to make up a pack and take it to the P.O. to see how much it will be to send regular 1st class...it may save us a couple of bucks.

Ok folks, speak up...I'm going to keep the class registration open until Wednesday.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2011
6:38 AM

Post #8840571

I'm in too...would like a Camel in mine, too please, if you have enough...
Thanks so much!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2011
7:08 AM

Post #8840612

Count me in!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2011
7:53 AM

Post #8840667

count me in too !!! you may have answered this before, sorry if I am repeating. what kind of fabric do we want to buy?? Is a kona white good??

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2011
8:36 AM

Post #8840715

Kona white is great...any good quality white. I've never had any problems using regular white fabric instead of the pricey PFD (prepared for dyeing) Don't get anything that is lesser quality than what you are used to sewing with.

I buy Kona bolt ends of the 108" wide stuff at Hancocks. If there is less than 3 yards on a bolt, they band it up, mark the yardage on it and sell it at 30% off. (one of the perks of living near Paducah)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2011
12:01 PM

Post #8840876

Count me in too please? Surprise me with the colors.
mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

October 9, 2011
9:47 AM

Post #8842020

Please add me in.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2011
10:56 AM

Post #8842087

Please add me ..
Short on time but I really want to do this

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2011
9:21 AM

Post #8843434

Well, I had a nice long post all typed up and it went *poof* on me...(so it happens to all of us)

Anyway, I've edited the first post in this thread with everyone's names and will add folks as they sign on. When we get the class created, I'll start a new thread on Thursday for questions and discussions.

Start gathering some squeeze bottles. My hairdresser saves perm solution bottles for me...they're great. Old dish detergent bottles are good, as are sports-drink bottles with a pop up top. Condiment bottles (ketchup type) that you can get at Wal mart for a buck are good too. You'll need some larger mouthed jars or containers to mix dye in...old peanut butter jars or mayo jars are good...I have pint mason jars since I happen to have an excess of those. You'll need clorox for clean up and a little funnel. (if you don't have a little one, I can show you how to make one from tinfoil.) I'll send everyone a pair of exam gloves with their kit too. Rubberbands or twine...I've used both and some type of screen or grate that will fit across your kitchen sink. I use a wire rack from the upper level in my microwave or a roasting grate from my big roasting pan (I never use them for cooking) Anyway, just something that will hold some fabric and let the liquid drip into the sink...a screen or piece of vinyl shelving...A pile of plastic bags like they give you at Wal-mart or the grocery store is also needed. (you'll put the wet fabric in these to 'marinate' overnight'.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 10, 2011
9:26 AM

Post #8843445

Thanks for the materials list!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2011
9:49 AM

Post #8843477

Pat, are you in? I'll need to add your name to the list. (come on...it will be fun! And you need another hobby...)

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2011
9:53 AM

Post #8843485

Yes Pat - time to get your hands dirty!!!! Oh I forgot, we will be wearing gloves!!!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2011
10:01 AM

Post #8843497

Trust me...gloves help...but don't wear anything that you think a lot of...especially if it is cotton.
Seems like dye 'sets' faster on things you don't want it to set on.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2011
12:00 PM

Post #8843639

sounds like we'll end up with tie-dye outfits/uniforms...LOL I have a cousin that holds an annual tie-dye family outing, they don't do just Tshirts, they do underwear, too! It's funny to see a clothesline of men's tie-dyed 'tidy whities'. They're not just for show either... he wears them!

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2011
1:18 PM

Post #8843697

I have oodles of rubber bands if any need some. My mailman put rubber bands around everything and dumb me, can't see to throw them out. So let me know and I will gladly send some band. I knew I was dropping them in a drawer for a reason other than I am part hoarder! LOL

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2011
1:45 PM

Post #8843728

The Oct/Nov Quilters Newsletter has a good tutorial using hemostats and clamps to make tie dye stars. If you've got a copy, it will be useful.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

October 10, 2011
2:26 PM

Post #8843798

Marion, Our paper carrier did the same. I used to put them in a bag and leave them out for him once a month or so. He always took them back.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2011
2:47 PM

Post #8843828

Here's an example of the grate I use across my sink. This is ice dyeing, but I use the grate for all of my dye projects. The excess drips into the sink and doesn't puddle in the bottom of a container...you get better patterns if your material doesn't sit in a puddle of dye.

Thumbnail by melody

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2011
2:57 PM

Post #8843847

Karen, I wish mine would take them back but she says no---throw them away. Such a waste!! Humm, I see a tie dye sink in my future---wanted to get a new stainless sink anyways. LOL
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2011
4:39 PM

Post #8843981

Melody That looks :P... Well Just Grosse LOL
Id better start saving some ice

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2011
5:08 PM

Post #8844011

I may have to drop out of this, as my computer is not working :( well the monitor is dead, I had borrowed one, but had to give it back...I can occasionally use my sons computer, but he has to be home, and we tend to work opposite shifts...I do not have the money for a new monitor...I do not know at this point when the next time I will be able to get on line?? don't want to have y'all waiting on me...so if it is a timely thing...count me out

If it will be something I can get on whenever, and print directions. then do it on my own...that may work????

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 10, 2011
5:21 PM

Post #8844037

*sign*... *I'm hooked... sign me up!! LOL
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2011
7:05 PM

Post #8844201

Thunder
I sure hope it is more do it your self directions as I can't play along on dialup

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2011
5:51 AM

Post #8844685

The directions will be do it yourself...and you can return to them whenever you like.
I'll start a thread and give step by steps 9with pictures) for mixing, tying, squirting the dye, finishing the fabric and clean up. anyone can refer to them here in this forum at any point...even years from now...

I'll be here to answer questions and offer suggestions, but the instructions should give everyone a good foundation in dyeing.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 11, 2011
5:58 AM

Post #8844696

Thanks Melody that will work out just fine for me :)
mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

October 11, 2011
6:29 AM

Post #8844740

Great, that will work for me as I want to do this in Fl and I won't be leaving here until just before thanksgiving.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2011
6:50 AM

Post #8844781

I've ordered the supplies, but they won't be here at my house till the end of next week...they're moving warehouses... (shoulda ordered last week...I got a note) Anyway, It will be the week of the 24th before I can ship.

After tomorrow, I'll start a thread and start adding images and instructions. Everyone should be familiar with things when their supplies arrive.

Thunder...do you want to stay in? You're more than welcome, since this is something that you can do at any point.

Seedtosser1

Seedtosser1
Glenview, IL

October 11, 2011
7:35 PM

Post #8845696

OMG!! 10 bucks?!!? do I have time to re-enlist? I do have $10.00 i can play with...my goodness, I hope I'm not too late.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2011
4:54 AM

Post #8845923

Did you find out about the shipping cost Melody? I want to get my check off to you - is $10.00 enough?

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2011
5:52 AM

Post #8845976

I haven't been in to town to get the package weighed, but it will be close.
I'll let you know this evening. I'm hoping regular first class will save us a a buck or so.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8846097

Hey Judy, so glad to see you join us!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2011
7:49 AM

Post #8846109

Hey everyone, check the list on the first post. If your name isn't there and you want to do this, let me know.

I'm closing this at the end of today and will make the final list first thing in the morning. If everyone has fun, we might do this again though. (maybe using different techniques)
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

October 12, 2011
8:49 AM

Post #8846188

Oh I hope I am not to late. Sign me up if you will have enough product. I did do the t-shirts and they turned out great I need to get a pic.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2011
9:06 AM

Post #8846225

Will do! There's plenty of dye.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2011
2:37 PM

Post #8846553

Ok, everyone, I have a total for this. I just got back from the P.O. and they weighed a package with 5 packs of dye, soda ash and gloves. First class to just about anywhere in the country is $2.56, so that saved a bundle off of Priority.

So here is the break down

5 packs of dye @.60 each is 3.00
1/2 cup soda ash 1.00
gloves, envelope & baggies 1.00
Postage 2.56

Total is $7.56

If you want more than 5 packs of dye, they will be .60 each. I don't think postage will be more than a few cents more as they are practically weightless...the baggies weigh more.

For neutrals besides the black and the brown I'm already sending, I have Camel, Mist Gray and Safari Gray. But...all you have to do is dilute anything and it lightens it. I'll start showing you all how that is done this weekend. I used primaries and black for ages before I bothered to spring for any of the 'fancy' colors.
mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

October 12, 2011
2:57 PM

Post #8846585

Thank you so much for doing this. I'll send my check, I'd also like a camel and any gray. Today I went to Christmas Tree Shop and purchased a couple of squeeze bottles. They were 4 ounce bottles for $1 each. My sister has a hair salon and is saving the perm bottles for me. Once you snip the dispensing cap it's open but I think I could use duct tape to keep them spillproof.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2011
3:15 PM

Post #8846605

I don't even bother to seal them up. I put them in a plastic dish to keep them all together and they go on the top shelf of my refrigerator. Might not be a bad idea to put a dab of tape over the end though...(I'm not that organized...)

Anyone who does not have my address, send me a Dmail. I'll get it right to you.
I think I have everyone matched up with their DG handle, but if you don't mind, be sure to include it.

Tomorrow I'll start a new thread with everyone's name and we'll start getting familiar with what we're going to be doing...anyone is welcome to chat and visit on the thread even if you're not part of the actual 'class'. All quilters need to be familiar with dyeing fabric...and everyone is quite welcome to stop in and visit.

I'll start getting everything packed up with the basics so I'll I'll have to do is pop in whatever extras anyone wants.

When I log on tomorrow morning, I'll finalize the group, so anyone who wants to participate, post here tonight.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 12, 2011
3:40 PM

Post #8846630

Sounds good to me.
mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

October 12, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8846742

{Please dmail me your addy.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2011
6:27 AM

Post #8847236

The class is now closed to new participants...don't worry, we'll do this again.
You are welcome to follow along on the new thread. Questions and comments are welcome from everyone!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1225230/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America