Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Poultry and Livestock: Diatomaceous earth

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 16, Views: 170
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 12, 2011
9:42 AM

Post #8688016

ok i am posting here as well as on the pet site bc i seem to remember someone on here having allergy issues with this product... but i can't remember if i am right or who it was.. so i wanted to toss this out there & see who likes this product & if they've ever used it to control fleas or black flies. We have a LOT of no see ums, black flies that bite & fleas in our yard at the new house. I can't spray due to the chickens.. who aren't eating the things fast enough. Will this hurt the chickens? has anyone used it before for this? I know i can apply it directly to the dogs & cats including the kittens which is what we were looking for bc they are all infested horridly due to being outside on occasion. Shoot we are bit up around the ankles just from walking in the yard! Any suggestions?
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 12, 2011
6:07 PM

Post #8689080

It was me that hated the stuff. My chickens came down with respiratory problems soon after applying it to the coop and the birds. I could barely go near the coop for days after that.. it is horrible stuff to breathe in. I'd resort to spraying before I'd ever use it for fleas. I've sprayed for flies and I've used garden dust on the ground.. but never again will I use DE for anything but an occasional food additive for worms.. I've given it to my dog in scrambled eggs for worms. I love the stuff for that.. :)

Some people use it and never have a problem.. unfortunately, it wasn't me.
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 13, 2011
11:34 AM

Post #8690220

everything i have found to spray with you have to keep all chickens, cats, dogs & children off the yard for 24 hours... not happening. I can't house them all somewhere for that long.. not set up for it yet. Fleas at the new house are HORRID. I found out you don't' have to put it everywhere on the yard just some places.. my brother used it on his cows for black flies & something else. I found out it made me sneeze bc i inhaled it but it was more of a startled sneeze.. I wouldn't' put it in the coop. Just on the grass. So i wonder if that would make a difference?
vnickdd
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 13, 2011
2:47 PM

Post #8690563

I've used it outside, in limited quantities to deal with soldier flies and fleas with no real problems. The way it works is the tiny particles are sharp and cut the fleas/larvae's bodies. I always err on using less rather than more and only use it after big rains when the flies like to lay their eggs in the moist dirt.

Why not use Sevin dust? I think that stuff is safe around chickens (they say you can even use it on veggies). In fact, I think some people on here said they apply directly to their dust bath areas for mite control. I've used it for fleas inside and out and it works great.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 14, 2011
10:48 AM

Post #8692042

Yup vnickdd... that's what I do... I just had such a bad experience with DE.. I use "Poultry & Garden" dust.. and love it!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 14, 2011
11:33 AM

Post #8692101

Me too.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

July 14, 2011
1:03 PM

Post #8692237

We had sand fleas in the house once, it was miserable. I finally gave up and sprinkled seven dust on the carpet and vacuumed it up. I am sure it isn't all that safe, but it didn't kill us and it did get rid of the fleas.

greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 14, 2011
7:35 PM

Post #8692979

my mom is highly allergic to Seven dust... i'm not.. but i'm not sure about spreading it around the yard in large amounts when she lives right next door... might put it inside on the carpet tho & vaccume! Light for Jesus.. how long did you leave it down before you vacuumed it up?
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

July 14, 2011
7:46 PM

Post #8693009

If your mother is allergic to it, maybe it isn't a good idea.

greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 14, 2011
8:09 PM

Post #8693059

i could use it on the carpet.. she rarely comes inside the house. She's been trying to stay home & not crowd us since she lives right next door. She uses it on her plants.. & veggies I just have to put it out & wash them before they go in the house to her.
EileenAZ
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2011
3:16 PM

Post #8756298

You're NOT supposed to inhale DE!!! Hopefully you're getting the food grade DE, as the pool grade is much worse, but you could still get silicosis from inhaling it. If you're spraying it, be sure there are no animals around and wear a mask. Goggles wouldn't hurt, either.

What you experienced is probably not an allergy, it's very likely pure irritation, which is a completely different physiological reaction, but it is a reaction. DE can be sprayed or poured wet as a slurry and allowed to dry, which knocks the likelihood of inhaling it way down. Or sprinkled, preferably with you being somewhat upwind and there being not much wind. It's a great food additive, sprinkled into a feed bin it not only keeps bugs out but dessicates any that are already in there.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

August 14, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8756421

Since diatomaceous earth is so abrasive to worms and bugs, I have always wondered what it does to our animals' innards. If it irritates the lungs, could it not also be a problem for the linings of the stomach and intestines?
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 16, 2011
8:40 AM

Post #8759408

When you use DE in the coop and there is a breeze, or your girls stir up the shavings, there is no way to avoid breathing it.. even more so for them. That is why I will never again use it where they can stir it up. To put it in their dust bathing area must be torture to them. Even if you apply it wet, it still gets blown around in time. The benefits don't outweigh the consequences if you ask me. My flock got respiratory problems from it... Something they otherwise never suffer from.

I do use it as an occasional food additive for parasites, but for not for daily feed.

Food grade is a given. LOL
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

August 19, 2011
3:29 AM

Post #8764182

I was thinking it must work pretty well because I spread it around in my den after I pulled up the flooring. I also put down a mixture of powdered sugar, baking soda and borax. Anyway, I had a few bugs the first part of spring, but since then, not a bug one. So, something in the combination of four worked.

Wonder if that would work for the fly problem in the backyard. I have those plastic fly traps and they seem to work fairly well.
ILoveTucson
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #8953374

We have been using DE for our cats in their food for worms for over 5 years now. We have also used it for feral kittens who were saturated with fleas, we have used it for odor control in damp places..and we have 50-100 chickens here at any time and I use it in their yard without issues. If I move a chick pen and the straw smells like ammonia, I get the DE and sprinkle it over it, immediately the odor is gone and the chickens come and do as chickens do and turn it all into compost material. I know of many people on chicken forums who have been using it for years. You aren't supposed to lay it down heavily. I use a flour sifter and just sift it over the dirt. It doesn't poof up, it just mixes in the dirt as it is stepped on. We are getting another pen ready to use and sifting DE over the dirt before adding straw is a step we do to take care of things living in the dirt I may not want there, etc..the stuff works. But no, you aren't supposed to inhale it or apply it so heavily it makes clouds of stuff to breathe in.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

January 5, 2012
5:46 AM

Post #8955119

That's so good to know Tucson.
EileenAZ
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #8958488

ILT- the flour sifter is a great idea. I got one of those things that looks sorta like a Super Soaker only you fill the bin with DE (or Sevin, as you prefer) and anoint your area of choice. Works well, I won't use it if there's any breeze A sifter would lay down a little heavier layer and not be as inclined to be airborne as stuff from the dust gun.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America