Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Plumerias: Pudica flower question...

Communities > Forums > Plumerias
bookmark
Forum: PlumeriasReplies: 7, Views: 130
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FrangipaniAz
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 12, 2011
9:00 PM

Post #8689437

My mom has a Pudica and it was a wonderful inflo, but the problem is that the buds turn brown and fall off before they can open... any thoughts on this?? It's hot out, which is my thought, but if it's something we can actually control I'd like to know... Thanks!!! :)
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

July 12, 2011
11:10 PM

Post #8689492

hey B! it could be the heat. i know that i was experiencing that right before the humidity rolled in from the monsoon. the blooms are doing much better now. of course, we are drying out until next week. bummer! make sure that it is watered well. i had this happen to a plumeria that was in the ground once. then, i watered it overnight and that helped. it could be a number of things which probably doesn't help answer your question. hopefully, someone else will chime in.
FrangipaniAz
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 13, 2011
10:36 PM

Post #8691281

Hahaha, thanks D for the response at least... I'll let my Mom know... I personally think their pots are too small too which doesn't help with the moisture situation... Hmm... is it a bad time to repot? She'd probably lose the inflo wouldn't she?
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

July 14, 2011
9:26 AM

Post #8691899

just keep as much of the root ball intact and it should be fine. perhaps, give it more shade to avoid transplant shock.
sonorarat
Yuma, AZ
(Zone 10a)

July 16, 2011
8:54 AM

Post #8695706

Hi Brittany,just a couple of thoughts,Pudica doesn't have the large limbs like most plumeria so she has little reserves,she also has a lot of foliage which dissipates moisture more than most,she relies heavily on her roots.Mine potted and in full sun several years ago would drop buds or worse,abort the whole inflo.,i move her to mourning sun only and made sure she stayed hydrated.

btw,how are your sings and m.g.?

mike
FrangipaniAz
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 16, 2011
9:14 PM

Post #8696856

All of my plumeria are lovely, no flowers, but I'm happy with the beautiful foliage right now :) amazingly enough I looked at my Mom's Pudica a couple days ago and wouldn't you believe that there were 3 open flowers!!! Hooray... I guess whatever was upsetting her has passed :) Thanks you guys :)
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

July 17, 2011
10:37 AM

Post #8697741

that is good info to know sonorarat. thanks!
DAVEDON
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 22, 2013
2:23 PM

Post #9393933

My pudica bloomed late but prolifically. Overwinter some stem rot.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Plumerias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What about a "new forum" for plumerias? Plumeriagod 56 Apr 25, 2007 2:15 AM
Feeding CaCajun 9 May 12, 2007 12:09 AM
underplanting plumies vossner 21 May 19, 2008 10:33 PM
have neve hard this happen to one of my plumies before junglebob 56 Sep 19, 2007 3:28 AM
Panama plumies vossner 53 Apr 15, 2007 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America