Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Herbs: I'm making lavendar vinegar today

Communities > Forums > Herbs
bookmark
Forum: HerbsReplies: 25, Views: 157
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dillansnana
Hemet, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 13, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8690621

I saw a T.V. program recently where a woman was washing windows with homemade lavendar vinegar. Since we always use vinegar water and newspapers to clean windows, I thought lavendar vinegar sounds much more pleasant than the white. Turns out it was very easy to find the recipe: everything-vinegar.com and the vinegar can also be used in salads ( not so sure @ that). Will let you know in 3 weeks when vinegar is fully infused.

Always looking for more ways to use my fresh herbs.
Sylvia
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8690805

Thanks for sharing the everything-vinegar site. I have put vinegar and rosemary in a spray bottle to take care of shower residue. Vinegar also cuts any greasy spatters in the kitchen.

Please, do keep us posted on your opinion of the lavendar vinegar.
dillansnana
Hemet, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 13, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8690903

Thanks for your response. Sounds so good to me. I've marked it on my calendar and will let you all know the results.

Sylvia
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2011
10:32 AM

Post #8694027

i love learning things like this. so helpful around the house. thank you for posting it.

kc
dillansnana
Hemet, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 15, 2011
11:49 AM

Post #8694162

Your welcome, my pleasure in sharing. My vinegar is turning a lovely mauve color now.

Sylvia
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 16, 2011
8:19 AM

Post #8695644

Me too, exactly what the others said. I have some lavendar so I'll have to try this when it flowers. Thanks for the tip on that site.
dillansnana
Hemet, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 16, 2011
12:33 PM

Post #8696082

Thank you for posting Mary. Makes me very happy!

Sylvia
dillansnana
Hemet, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 2, 2011
2:17 PM

Post #8732406

Dear all,

I opened my lavendar vinegar today. It smells WONDERFUL of lavendar, so much better than I expected. You all must try it! So very easy.

Sylvia
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 2, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8732867

Excellent! I hope you enjoy using it. Now if I could only make the lavender last thru summer here...
SoFlaCommercial
West Palm Beach, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 14, 2011
10:31 PM

Post #8756899

i copied from the page, and google came up with 'searching' for that site. tried several variations, still cannot find the site. I know how to use a web browser, so could someone create a link and post it here?

thanks.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 15, 2011
5:18 AM

Post #8757121

I don't think there is a site called everything-vinegar.com but I found a page called everything-vinegar on someone's site.

http://mihaelaotp.hubpages.com/hub/Everything-Vinegar

HTH.
SoFlaCommercial
West Palm Beach, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 15, 2011
6:04 AM

Post #8757191

thank you, MaryMcP!

got a lot of useful tips.

sfc
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 15, 2011
8:19 AM

Post #8757467

Yes, this one too.

http://realityviews.blogspot.com/2010/09/know-everything-about-vinegar-what-is.html
dillansnana
Hemet, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 15, 2011
12:14 PM

Post #8757842

The lavendar vinegar is very easy to make. Fill a container 1/2 full of clean blossoms and white distilled vinegar. Put on window sill, shake every day, in 3 weeks it's done. Strain out blossoms, rebottle in clean container.
Sylvia
thea611
Manning, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 29, 2011
10:07 AM

Post #8783071

It's so funny, I just happened on this thread, and I also happened to think, a couple of months ago, of using lavender in white vinegar and putting it in a spritz bottle to clean with. But I didn't use blossoms (I reserve those for making my face cleansing "tea"), I cut off tips of some of the branches, with the greenery, 3" or so, and even used stems. They're heavily scented too, and make the vinegar smell so nice! I love it that I can use so much of my plants, nothing wasted! In a house with 4 cats and a dog, I'm always cleaning up "stuff".
SoFlaCommercial
West Palm Beach, FL
(Zone 10b)

December 23, 2011
9:26 PM

Post #8941175

well, now i have to go and get myself some lavender plants - some to grow and some to steep for the cleaning mix. ☺
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 24, 2011
3:58 AM

Post #8941263

Please post your success with the lavender plants when you do? They protest my zone 8 heat and humidity. I never have mastered them.
dillansnana
Hemet, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 24, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8941809

Dear podster

I have tried growing lavender plants several times with no success. I live in zone 9. Finally had success with Grosso which I bought at a lavender farm near relatives in Squimn WA. Bought a 4' pot of Grosso @ 5 years ago now its about 4". I've also found that many herbs I've not been able to grow in the ground do much better in pots where you are much more able to accommodate their needs.

Good luck and keep trying, it's so worth it.
Sylvia
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 24, 2011
4:37 PM

Post #8941857

Thank you Sylvia ~ I appreciate the information and will look for Grosso. That is worth trying as I am too stubborn to quit. 8 ) Kristi
dillansnana
Hemet, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 24, 2011
5:34 PM

Post #8941901

You go girl! That's what I've done, just kept trying. Tried thyme many times in the ground, died. Put it in a planter...magic, it's thriving.
SoFlaCommercial
West Palm Beach, FL
(Zone 10b)

December 24, 2011
11:40 PM

Post #8942048

I'm not having luck growing from nurseries locally here in zone 10. - anyone have any good sources for lavender seed? and any particular type of lavender for this climate?
cornish2175
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2012
3:10 AM

Post #8957737

Last fall I planted 3 Provance lavender that a nursury owner friend said would do well here zone 8b. She also said lavender is a mediterrian plant that needs well drained ROCKY soil so picked the driest area in the garden, dumped in a whole bag of pea gravel and planted them. So far they are surviving but will see when temps hit 100 this summer.

I also plant my oregano and thyme in big pots- mostly because I hate leaning over so far to harvest but they always died when I planted in the ground. It may also be the variety- I put in a french & a lemon varigated thyme and a spicy oregano and they are starting their 2nd season this spring.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 7, 2012
4:32 AM

Post #8957776

Perhaps fall planting will be the lavender success secret. I've not tried that. The only time plants are available here is in springtime.

Please let me know how it does next summer?
SoFlaCommercial
West Palm Beach, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 7, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #8958440

Well, except for companion planting, I'm wondering if I should put all my herbs in containers down here in 10a/b.
cornish2175
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8b)

January 8, 2012
3:24 AM

Post #8958893

I don't think that is necessary unless you really wanted to. Other than the thymes and oregano I have had little success, in past years I had to because other than my raised bed that run up the side of my driveway there was no sun in great amounts other than my side patio. I found that these pots (they were very big pots) just didn't do as well. Water and soil requirements are different with each herb, plus if they are to crowded you run the risk of fungal problems and insect infestation. Lost the rosemary that was potted to spider mites yet my neighbor down the street had no problems.

This past fall we had to take down a badly damaged tree (a very big one) which opened up a huge area to the sun. It had been underplanted with a raised bed of ivy and was probably there 20 years- really had become a big mess(I did not plant that ivy) Spent DAYS cleaning that area out and digging in more organic material but was worth it- now I have a big area to plant all my herbs and put in flowers also.
SoFlaCommercial
West Palm Beach, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 9, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #8960579

well, that's the thing - I know all these herbs have different requirements, and my back yard has eastern/southern exposure, which was why i was thinking the deep containers and figured since i'm not relying on flowers, I could even keep them on the sunny part of my patio.

ugh!

I'll have to do things trial and error, I suppose.

thanks.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America