-
AuthorContent
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2011
4:46 PM

Post #8690752

After my mother being gone from me for some 7 1/2 years I have finally been rummaging through her stash. Yesterday I took a quilt that she had in the frame when she died, March 31, 2004, to our local quilt store to have it finished. There is also a quilt top completely pieced and I also left it.
I do a lot of sewing but do not do hand quilting. She made some 45 quilts from start to finish. She must have cut pieces constantly. She was a widow for 11 years and even though she lived across the street from me, I didn't realize how much she did. She was born 1921 and never sat still with idle hands one minute of her life. I feel as though I have spent the afternoon with her. If only.
There are so many pieces waiting to be assembled I can hardly wait. I also have many of her quilting books so guess I will be doing this evening.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

July 13, 2011
5:31 PM

Post #8690833

Awww Lou, thats so sweet, enjoy your time with your mom.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 13, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8690961

Yes, I remember when I sent a quilt top out that my Grandmother sewed. I wished that I could have hand quilted it myself but I KNEW it would never happen. I see one of my grandmother's quilts daily as it hangs over the antique rocker in my living room.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8691005

There are 3 siblings. She was afraid one would think she loved them more than the others so she didn't mark any of them to one of us. Since I lived close I put them in my guest room as we worked to clear the house for sale. The very last thing we divided was her quilts and some that she had from our ancestors that dated before the Civil War. When the time finally came to divide them I put each one in a black plastic bag and tied it tight. So the others couldn't say I knew what was in any of them, DH brought them all into the den and put them in a pile. We drew straws to see who would draw 1,2 and 3. One at a time we selected a "bag". Then we watched as each one opened their surprise. Agreed before hand that bartering was ok if there was something we reallllly wanted. We all went home with what we had picked anonymously. She would be so proud of us. Never one word of discord through the entire ordeal of dividing her belongings. One amazing Christian woman. How lucky I am.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 13, 2011
8:06 PM

Post #8691087

YES, what every mother wants... for her children to get along. (No matter how old they are!!)
mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

July 14, 2011
2:11 AM

Post #8691341

Lou, that was beautifully handled. Thank you for sharing.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2011
5:09 AM

Post #8691442

And what a lovely message as well. Since I was the only daughter out of four, I was fortunate to get most of my Mom's craft supplies. It's been a wonderful tie to her and keeps her close...

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2011
4:12 AM

Post #8697123

Lou... thanks for sharing, it's a beautiful story. I would encourage you and your siblings to document the quilts, including the ones you are finsihing snd that have yet to be finished. With quilts from before the Civil War, they are truelu family heirlooms. Also, there are organizations and quilt museums that are documenting quilts, especially the ones from the 19th century and before. They are keeping a document of our quilting heritage. i would recommend that your family search one of these groups out, especially if there is one in Texas, and let them document your family's history. Remember in your family's personal documentation to include pictures, letters stories, etc. of your ancestors if available. What a great gift for your children and grandchildren.

And, please, share pictures here, including your process of piecing your Mom's quilts together. I, for one, would find it extremely interesting to follow.

STU

PS... there are wonderful people on this forum to help you find the right patterns for the pieces that you have. Use this invaluable resource as your go along.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2011
6:48 AM

Post #8697296

Good advise Stu.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2011
7:40 AM

Post #8697360

Thank each of you for your comments. I was very close to my mother and I didn't realize just how long I have been grieving.
I put the quilts and all of tools away and have just now had the emotional control to go through them. She was 82+ and had been very sick for about her last 6 months. It was a blessing for her when God called her home and released her from the pain. Quilting was her passion. She belonged to a local quilting group and they belonged to the Dallas Quilt Guild. I have been to many, many quilt shows with her. Even went on a bus tour that ended at the Houston Quilt Show. She went on another tour that took her into Amish country and Paducah, Kentucky. I have pieced one sample quilt and did a terrible job of quilting it. I would so love to have all of you here with me to sort through this marvelous stash.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2011
8:13 AM

Post #8697403

Grieving can be a long process that we do in pieces when we are ready. It sounds like you have LOTS of wonderful memories!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2011
8:36 AM

Post #8697472

Didn't even consciously realize I was still grieving. Had avoided these items for far too long.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2011
8:54 AM

Post #8697502

Yes, I understand. My mother passed away 6/1/2009 and sometimes it still sneaks up on me. It is a comfort knowing we have so many happy memories. My Dad has the house up for sale now.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2011
5:57 PM

Post #8700583

Had another wonderful day digging through things I had put away in 2004. Wow! what a treasure. I'm all psyched to start piecing quilts. May not do hand quilting but there is a very good quilt shop near me that does long arm quilting. Between my mother and I, we could furnish a gadgets store.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 18, 2011
6:44 PM

Post #8700665

What a joyful day for you Lou. Every now and again I glance around my home at treasures that were my Mom's. I miss her so much and it's been 24 years since I lost her. She was such a lovely woman and I smile just thinking of her. You sound like you are happy now and I'm glad you feel good about doing this - that's wonderful.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 23, 2011
5:34 PM

Post #8773656

I have been blessed by an angel. Quilter_Gal had volunteered to teach me how to appliqué the dresden plates that I got for a wedding present in 1961. She came to my home yesterday. I had other obligations today so I didn't get to put into practice what she taught me. She is an absolute genius. I looked through her on-line photo albums and I am just amazed. She can and does EVERYTHING. Talent and goodwill just oozes out of every pore. Discovered we live roughly 20 miles apart. How great is that?!?!

In my total ignorance about her abilities I commented that she should be a teacher. Well, of course, she already is. Precise, kind, pleasant, patient, I don't have enough words to describe this beautiful soul. I have been on another plane ever since she was here.

Christi

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 23, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8773730

Isn't that sweet!!! and it isn't funny how sometimes we just "peg" what someone is by profession without seeking to.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2011
5:28 AM

Post #8774216

Another soul mate for you Lou. Enjoy your time together - I'm sure you will meet again soon.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2011
5:40 AM

Post #8774229

How wonderful when someone steps up to teach you a new method. Lou, you are very lucky!! Wish I had some one closer to me to quilt with.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2011
6:31 AM

Post #8774303

Marion - I'm coming... I promise I am moving to FL!!!! I should be down for the pre-move 5 - 19 Oct.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2011
7:00 AM

Post #8774346

I am waiting---of course we will be several miles apart but still that is better than I have right now. How is the sale of the house coming along?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2011
7:09 AM

Post #8774356

Not Sold yet but no sence keeeping things in storage when I have a house to put them in and a garage to keep a car in.
Then will have a sewig machine & fabric in both houses
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2011
7:56 AM

Post #8774439

Sounds good to me.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America